Type keyword(s) to search

Lords Of The Castle: Show Creators Past and Present

I came straight here once I read that. I can't tell if;

a) ABC's decision
b) last season and they want Marlowe off doing something else
c) whatever happened to that show he and Terri were creating?

I would absolutely love the a new showrunner to actually in this show’s final season (I am 99% certain now) to go all out make this show what it used to be, but I doubt someone of the “old” order could do that.

• Love 1

Marlowe [and Terri] have been working on other projects since season 5 ended so what's so taxing now that he has to hand over day to day operations? That horrid ass season finale, in my opinion. I've never seen such strong reactions to a season finale of this show, not even the season 2 finale. Marlowe probably expected frustration and people being upset but not rage. Even critics who love and reviewed this show for years didn't like it. This whole "handing show over to Amann so Marlowe can work on development deal" is bullshit and a company line. 

This show needs a fresh set of eyes and ideas. This news doesn't sadden me, at all. It actually makes me excited for the season premiere now. 
I say Amann's first order of business is to assign the premiere to Rob Hanning and/or Terrence Paul Winter. Or he can start out the gate pinning the first script of the season as newly appointed showrunner. 

• Love 2

Marlowe [and Terri] have been working on other projects since season 5 ended so what's so taxing now that he has to hand over day to day operations?

Maybe one of his other projects has been greenlighted? Fan reaction to the finale was admittedly bad, but in general, the last season rated well. I don't think networks typically push showrunners out for unhappy fans. (If they did, surely Marlowe would've been gone aeons ago).

(edited)

This show needs a fresh set of eyes and ideas. This news doesn't sadden me, at all. It actually makes me excited for the season premiere now.

I say Amann's first order of business is to assign the premiere to Rob Hanning and/or Terrence Paul Winter. Or he can start out the gate pinning the first script of the season as newly appointed showrunner.

Yeah I was wondering if Amann will be writing the premier. If 3XK is responsible for Castle firery car than I can see Amann continue writing that storyline. I hope this means that he will have a planned arc for the entire season, some continuity and maybe give some decent storylines to the supporting cast.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 1

Well, well, well.  This is surprising, though a change in showrunner has been discussed on the boards previously.  But it always felt like more of a wish than a real possibility.  I think it's high time for a change.  It's been clear to me that AM has run out of creative juices for the show for a while already, and he hasn't proved capable of writing Caskett well post-Always, imo.  Looking back, it's his S1 episodes that I like best; so I have to thank him for creating Castle and Beckett, great casting of the leads, and for finally getting them together in Always, but he's also presided over the show's decline into mediocrity, or worse, imo.

I hope David Amann will bring in some energy and intelligence to the show, bring about some good changes, though as someone who has been with the show for a while, it's hard to know how much change will really materialise and whether he's a showrunner in AM's mold (conservative, old fashioned, imo) or someone with a different vision.  I hope he makes some things happen (let's start with showing some real heat and intimacy for a change!), does some things better, does more of what Castle does best, and never shows some things again (Castle declining sex, interrupted kisses, to name a few!).

He doesn't rank a a 'fan favourite' writer for me though; one or 2 of his episodes have been very good, but most have just been average to me.  I hope he delegates the premiere to TPH/RH but I guess that's unlikely with his promotion.  I guess if there was going to be someone promoted in the writers' room it would be him as he seems to have the most experience out of everyone left.  I wouldn't have been adverse to someone completely new coming in though 'cause I really do think the show needs a fresh set of eyes.  

Curious about the timing of this announcement (coupled with the release of the S4 Always scene on the S6 DVD...).  The writers have been back at work for a while, so why delay the announcement until now?  AM mentioned the new mythology he was going to explore next season in his interviews given before the finale aired, so had he still planned to be showrunner in S7 then?  Maybe he has a new show in development at ABC, but don't showrunners usually hang on to their old show before they know that their new show is an absolutely sure thing?  People were unhappy with the finale, but we keep getting told that Castle had its most watched season yet (true?) so would the network want to force AM out?  But they still have to work together as AM has a deal with ABC, so was it in their interest to have him work on a new show instead?  If next season is really Castle's last, would have thought AM would want to lead till the end.  Curious to see whether AM and TM write any episodes next season.  If they don't, maybe it's a sign that it wasn't really a mutual decision to leave.

Could explain AMW last Tweet that he was proud of what they were talking about, June 6th which is usually the day people get canned.  Why the 10 day delay perhaps to notify all of the cast and crew before they read about it in Social Media,  Just my thoughts

I'm not inclined to think this means much at all. If I had to guess Amann was basically running the writers room already. Most deals for showrunners have them dropping down to consultant anyway. 

It's nothing radical. Most likely nothing to do with fans. As much as people don't like to hear it, it's more likely that one of Marlowe's projects that ABC has bought will actually go to pilot and they need him for that.

Amann is writing the premiere. Should be good.

Are we sure Amann is indeed writing the premiere?

(edited)

Oh yeah, scruff.  But if filming starts straight after the photoshoot, don't know if Castle can keep it?

Wonder if the story will develop as AM originally planned now, or not.  But I guess we'll never know.

Can we have a change in costume designer too?  Not that I wish anyone out of a job, but perhaps there's another show out there that better suits Luke's talents.

Most likely nothing to do with fans. As much as people don't like to hear it, it's more likely that one of Marlowe's projects that ABC has bought will actually go to pilot and they need him for that.

Could be the case too.  Firstborns often get ditched by showrunners towards the end as they look to capitalise on the next shiny thing.  But seems to be rare that showrunners end up with 2 successful shows consecutively.

Noted that Marlowe had 2 experienced co-showrunners in S1 and 2; the best seasons imo.  After that, unevenness really set in.

Amann seems to favour the more dramatic episodes; hope he can find some inspiration for romance amidst the drama too.  Somehow I thought he was with the show from the beginning, but seems like he only joined in S3.  Hope he's rewatched S1 and 2!

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Shonda Rhimes runs 3 shows. Some people just don't have the stamina to do it -- guess Marlowe is one of them. Ah well.

Maybe Amann will give Nathan great material and an incentive to stay on past season 7. Network and ratings willing. 

Somehow I thought he was with the show from the beginning, but seems like he only joined in S3.  Hope he's rewatched S1 and 2!

Looking back season 3 wasn't bad. It doesn't compare to season 2 but, in my opinion, no season has. Season 3 had many great episodes and was pure genius compared to season 6. 

• Love 1
(edited)
Amann seems to favour the more dramatic episodes; hope he can find some inspiration for romance amidst the drama too.  Somehow I thought he was with the show from the beginning, but seems like he only joined in S3.  Hope he's rewatched S1 and 2!

Yeah, I looked up Amann's episodes and it's 90% drama/high stakes. Can't say I dislike his episodes - 3XK is one of my favorite dramatic ones - but I would've been happier with someone who really "gets" what Castle is (or what I think it is, lol). Like T.P. Winter. Among DA's episodes "After the Storm" and "Heroes and Villains" are the most "castlesque" IMO, they're good but not my favorites. And the overwhelming majority of good to below average drama/action output doesn't inspire that much confidence (in me). We'll see though.

Edited by Gant

Marlowe got canned for his "new mythology" crap.   The excuse is just the company line, like politicians resignining "to spend more time with family."   For all we know TPTB were arguing with him for awhile about it, he refused to budge and so they showed him why they are TBTB and he is not.

However not sure about the new guy.   He wrote "That 70s Show" and it was dumber than dumb.   There were so many plot holes that even someone like me who doesn't over analyze every word and scene noticed them.   Not sure he can handle overseeing all the complexity of a show, even without all the crap he has to clean up.

Shonda Rhimes runs 3 shows. Some people just don't have the stamina to do it -- guess Marlowe is one of them.

Shonda Rhimes runs 1 show (2, if you count the new show that got picked up this past May). She and Betsy Beers left the day-to-day of Grey's long ago, and only every juggled the day-to-day of more than 1 show when Private Practice was on, and she admitted it was hard even though they existed in the same universe. Chances are once she gets Scandal up and running, she'll step back too ... if her new show does well. (Plus, she had a bunch of failed shows/shows that didn't even make it to pilot.)

More often than not people don't keep the quality for any length of time for more than 1 show.

Not sure he can handle overseeing all the complexity of a show, even without all the crap he has to clean up.

Step 1: let Castle and Beckett get married.

Step 1b: let Castle and Beckett get to be a couple and act like they're in love.

Step 2: delegate stories and story arcs to Terrence Paul Winter.

Step 3: make sure the cast/fans/crew are happy.

Step 3b: watch the ratings at least stay steady, thus making ABC happy.

Step 4: Profit.

The end.

Shonda isn't writing the new show. She is just an EP. So she wont' be stepping back from Scandal.

Ah, I was not aware of that. I don't know anything about her new show (except that it exists) and I don't watch Scandal. So I guess Scandal is safe. I do watch Grey's and yes, she's involved, but not like she used to be, especially with the day-to-day. I don't expect her to and I like that she still cares about her oldest and where those characters end up, but that show had much. much more input from others than it did when she and Betsy were the only ones working it.

But yes. Shonda seems to be the exception, not the rule. And even she fails sometimes.

(edited)

I feel like Seamus was referencing the complaints made of his own show with that tweet, myself.

Yeah I think so, he's been quite pithy in his responses about the show over the last season.

I'm bringing the list of Amann episodes over here as I was on the media thread whilst it was all kicking off on here. Heh.

Here are the episodes he's written:

- That ’70s Show (2014)

- In the Belly of the Beast (2014) (co-written with Marlowe)

- Under Fire (2014) (co-written with Marlowe)

- Disciple (2013)

- The Human Factor (2013)

- Target (2013)

- After the Storm (2012)

- Pandora (2012)

- Heroes and Villains (2011)

- Setup (2011)

- 3XK (2010)

His output tends to be more drama based and I don't find that's where Castle excels as a show. Out of those I only really liked AFS and 3XK the rest are not terrible but not on my re-watch list either. I'm not sure if him taking over will see any marked change in how Caskett are portrayed on the romance front sadly which is what I truly want to see and Bowman is still there of course and he was as bad as Marlowe for his cheap stunts not to mention P.A. Terri. 

Like mad maverick I'd like to see some much needed heat injected into their relationship but I'm not sure Amann is the guy to do it. But after that finale they needed to shake things up and they've done something I never thought would happen. I'm convinced he was pushed into it, that show he was trying to get off the ground with Terri has never materialised so I don't believe the media PR bullshit about him concentrating on developing other shows for ABC. 

Edited by verdana

Shonda still writes and runs Grey's Anatomy. She wrote all of Christina scenes this season. She said, on twitter [more than once] that she writes many scenes but doesn't put her name on every script b/c it takes money away from her writers. 

Shonda talks about EP/showrunner of Grey's and Scandal. Very active. She isn't writing the new show, How To Get Away With Murder, but she is executive producer. As far as Betsy, she's not a writing EP, never has been. 

Back to Castle .. Amann wrote 3XK and lots of fans believe that JT/3XK is behind this situation .. maybe Amann will write the premiere and continue the 3XK story?

(edited)

[moved from the media thread. it's probably better suited here]

But remember Amann did "Under Fire" and "In The Belly of the Beast" with Marlowe, so that wasn't all his fault. (Plus, I really, really liked Under Fire.) And "Setup" and "Pandora" and "Linchpin" were the first parts of their respective season's 2-parters, and the 2nd part was done by Marlowe, so those probably weren't also all his idea. "Disciple" was also not likely his idea either, because it was part of the 3XK mythology, so Marlowe probably had a hand it, too.

Worst case, Marlowe groomed Amann to be just like him. But I don't think we really know what Amann's capable of. A lot of his episodes are Marlowe-based. He did do "That 70s Episode" and while it was kind of a mess casewise, the character interactions were cute.

Edited by McManda
(edited)

I came out of my hiatus from Castle to comment on the big news.

Wow...never thought I would see Marlowe step down from the show. I figured he would ride it out in what is thought to be the last season by so many. I am slightly optimistic with Amann as the new showrunner, even though he did write "That 70's show" which I thought was one of the low points of the season.

There's going to be so much speculation on why Marlowe is no longer running Castle, but I'm leaning towards it being a mutual decision. I'm sure ABC and Marlowe are completely aware of the general unhappiness with the season 6, and while I don't think it was as horrible as others thought it was, it was my least favorite season.

My big question is what happens to Terri? Is she going to continue being a writer on the show or will she move on too? She did have some very good episodes, but she was also partly responsible for the failure of the finale.

Edited by moodyblue

Wonder if the story will develop as AM originally planned now, or not.  But I guess we'll never know.

Can we have a change in costume designer too?  Not that I wish anyone out of a job, but perhaps there's another show out there that better suits Luke's talents.

Could be the case too.  Firstborns often get ditched by showrunners towards the end as they look to capitalise on the next shiny thing.  But seems to be rare that showrunners end up with 2 successful shows consecutively.

Noted that Marlowe had 2 experienced co-showrunners in S1 and 2; the best seasons imo.  After that, unevenness really set in.

I'm taking bets on whether the "new mythology" manages to survive and the idea what there were "more stories" that had to be told before Caskett could get wed. I wonder if they'll move the wedding up now to closer to the premiere? I would still be shocked if they had them married within the first few episodes.  

First order of business Mr Amann, fire Luke!  Then he can get on with cleaning up the mess Marlowe left behind. 

Pity those co-producers left, the show obviously suffered once the departed, Marlowe clearly needed help, he couldn't run the show on his own as subsequent seasons proved. 

(edited)

Shonda still writes and runs Grey's Anatomy. She wrote all of Christina scenes this season. She said, on twitter [more than once] that she writes many scenes but doesn't put her name on every script b/c it takes money away from her writers.

Shonda talks about EP/showrunner of Grey's and Scandal. Very active. She isn't writing the new show, How To Get Away With Murder, but she is executive producer. As far as Betsy, she's not a writing EP, never has been.

I think we're talking in circles.

Yes, Shonda is still Executive Producer of Grey's. It's likely Marlowe will keep that title within Castle. EP doesn't really have much to do with the day-to-day, though showrunners do have EP titles. Interestingly, do you have a link to an interview with Shonda about writing lots of Grey's scripts/scenes? IMDB has her last writing credit on Grey's as 2011's "Song Beneath the Song". She was much more involved in the writing before that. And yes, I know she had a heavy hand in Cristina's storyline, but she also said that's because she felt like she owed it to Cristina's character and to Sandra Oh. If it were any character that came on the show post-Lexie's creation, I doubt she'd feel the same. Her attention is most definitely skewed toward Scandal.

And Betsy Beer's lack of writing credits aside, she was as much a showrunner of Grey's as Shonda was in the beginning

Fun fact: Shonda's Castle connection - her daughter is named Beckett. ;)

Edited by McManda

So there's hope that TPW gets more episodes and that the episodes are less formularic (well, as less as they can be, given the procedural aspect they adhere to) and ... brighter? I'll be interested to see if they turn the lights back on, or stop making the whole color timing and whatnot so bleak.

Interestingly, do you have a link to an interview with Shonda about writing lots of Grey's scripts/scenes? IMDB has her last writing credit on Grey's as 2011's "Song Beneath the Song".

I don't. She didn't say it a sit down, magazine interview. Shonda does Q&A sessions on twitter and she stated that when someone asked her about not penning scripts for Grey's as she once did and she said what I posted upthread. 

It's a matter of opinion. I loved Seasons 3 & 4.

I loved Seasons 3 and 4 also, although I did get frustrated with S4 and the season long secrets and the douchebag arc of Castle at the end.

From the media thread:

Hasn't NCIS changed showrunner a number of times? It happens and they survive.

NCIS has changed show-runners 3 times. Donald Bellisario, who created the show, was pushed out by a general strike led by Mark Harmon. Shane Brennan then took over, and left to run NCIS:LA which he created. Gary Glasberg is running it now.

I find that when a show changes show-runners, it changes tone too so if  you're a fan of a show, it's time to be wishin' and prayin' when a new show runner comes on, or even when one leaves. When Bryan Singer left House, even though David Shore was still there, it was a very different show.

I've liked Marlowe's Castle, except for seasons 3 and 4 when both Castle and Beckett became so stupid I couldn't stand them.

I think it's a good time for him to exit the show, he's done what he set out to do, it's a solid show in terms of ratings, and it's time for new blood to take over. It also seems like a step up the production ladder since he'll be developing new shows.

[moved from the media thread. it's probably better suited here]

But remember Amann did "Under Fire" and "In The Belly of the Beast" with Marlowe, so that wasn't all his fault. (Plus, I really, really liked Under Fire.) And "Setup" and "Pandora" and "Linchpin" were the first parts of their respective season's 2-parters, and the 2nd part was done by Marlowe, so those probably weren't also all his idea. "Disciple" was also not likely his idea either, because it was part of the 3XK mythology, so Marlowe probably had a hand it, too.

Worst case, Marlowe groomed Amann to be just like him. But I don't think we really know what Amann's capable of. A lot of his episodes are Marlowe-based. He did do "That 70s Episode" and while it was kind of a mess casewise, the character interactions were cute.

I've amended that episode list to include the co-written episodes. I'm certainly prepared to give him a chance to show what he can do without Marlowe but there is the worry that it's a like for like replacement because Marlowe wouldn't want his "legacy" tarnished by someone with fresh, new ideas coming along so Amann is seen as safe pair of hands.

I sure would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Marlowe met with ABC execs when this went down.

I came here immediately as well. Speculation on whether it was by choice? And yeah, way to leave everyone to clean up your royal pile of crap finale.

I remember in the last season of Gilmore Girls, there was speculation that the showrunner had written a crappy finale so the person replacing her had to clean it up.  I think she was forced out though....it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here, because it mentions Marlowe will still have a presence on set.

It does seem like a weird time to announce it though.  You would think that it would have been decided back when they renewed it for S7, at least if it was really Marlowe's choice.  His show didn't get picked up, so it's not like he is leaving to work on that.  Maybe he decided that if he wanted a new show picked up he needed more time to spend on it?

It's more fun to think he was forced out though.  And all that talk about a new mythology sounded like it was something he wanted to do.

he and Betsy Beers left the day-to-day of Grey's long ago, and only every juggled the day-to-day of more than 1 show when Private Practice was on, and she admitted it was hard even though they existed in the same universe.

One could also argue that Grey's has declined a lot in the past couple seasons.  But....it really doesn't matter because, as others have said Sondra isn't Marlowe.

Back to Castle .. Amann wrote 3XK and lots of fans believe that JT/3XK is behind this situation .. maybe Amann will write the premiere and continue the 3XK story?

He also wrote Disciple, where the hinted at bringing 3XK back.

Good point. The deadline article specifically mentions Marlowe's development deal with ABC.  So, it could be that when they renewed Marlowe's contract, they told him they wanted him to do more shows after Castle (if you think this is the last season), and they arranged a way to transition into that by having him step down, but have a presence on set.

But, in my experience a change in leadership always has an impact on the show. I certainly don't see how they could go down from that finale.

• Love 1

Holy shit.

I couldn't wait to get on this site after reading TV Line.

So what are your thoughts? Of course there has been precedent in regards to changing showrunners, but it's uncommon to replace the show's creator unless you've done something to piss off TPTB. I've mentioned a few times how Hack made no pretense of bitching about ABC and their budget and all that. He even did it in Austin, which suprised me. You really shouldn't talk shit about your boss unless you're damned sure you're doing a good job. And he wasn't.

I can't see someone with an ego like Hack just giving up the reins of his show to someone else unless he had been forced -especially since he doesn't have another show on the air. He must be beyond pissed. And Terri? Well I'm sure she was passive aggressive about the whole thing. I wonder if Amann will #respecttheprocess and give Caskett privacy?

Does anyone know if Amann has been a show runner before? Hard to tell from IMDB. He is listed as EP for several shows. After seeing P.A. Terri's tweet, it makes me think he my have a hard time changing much if MillMar is in his ear all the time. We shall see I guess!

You really shouldn't talk shit about your boss unless you're damned sure you're doing a good job. And he wasn't.

Except he was doing just fine, numerically. He might not have gotten everything he wanted, like a bigger budget or whatever, but Castle was (and still is) solid for ABC, despite people like us that like to rip into it. Fact is, if he had done something big enough to get himself fired (doubtful) and ABC had no faith in the show, they would have just cancelled it, not given Amann more responsibility.

If he pissed someone at ABC off, it wasn't because Castle wasn't doing well. And honestly, it doesn't sound like sour grapes from Marlowe's camp, nor does it sound like he's pissed.

We can speculate all we want, but it's likely we'll never know what - if anything - happened. Personally I think it legitimately sounds like he thought he might have something better lined up (which ... I'd have a hard time believing, but it is what it is) and thought/thinks he should persue it.

Yeah, if ABC was really that pissed at Marlowe wouldn't he be totally removed from the show?  And he apparently has a new development deal with ABC.  So it's not like he is going off and trying to create a new show on another network.

I'm actually curious about Terri, because her Tweet talked about how "we" are still at Castle every day.  But Marlowe was the only one with the title showrunner and he is the one who supposedly is going to develop new projects.  So, is she just a writer on Castle and also working with Marlowe? Or is she officially partnering him with the new stuff?

I mean, I would be pissed if I was really an equal writing partner but my husband got all the credit/name recognition.  But maybe I am just petty that way.

I read in a Variety article that she is writing the script of his new project with him, and he always co-wrote episodes she wrote, yes? I don't think she was ever in a show runner position, but people may have assumed that if he stepped down, then she would have lost her writing partner and would leave?

he always co-wrote episodes she wrote, yes?

Not all the time. She did the teleplay with TWP on A Rose for Everafter (story by Alexi Hawley), then did a few by herself (Vampire Weekend, Food To Die For, Poof You're Dead, Pretty Dead, The Good, The Bad & The Baby). The eps she did with Marlowe were Cuffed, Always, The Lives of Others, Time Will Tell and For Better or For Worse. At this point she's better off writing on her own that will Marlowe ever again. I wouldn't mind if she wrote with TWP again or possibly with Hanning or Elizabeth Beall.

(edited)

Does anyone know if Amann has been a show runner before? Hard to tell from IMDB. He is listed as EP for several shows. After seeing P.A. Terri's tweet, it makes me think he my have a hard time changing much if MillMar is in his ear all the time. We shall see I guess!

I didn't realise doing a quick search that Bowman and Amann worked on the X-Files together which doesn't bode that well for Caskett. I'm not a fan of Bowman and his directing or his attitude which mirrors Marlowe in that aspect.  So I guess I can expect more scenes happening in the dark.

As for Terri's tweet I see the good wife is doing her PR bit. 

This makes it sound as if Marlowe's still overseeing the overall direction of the show and stories but if so why make any change if that's the case?  All sounds like the kind of typical PR corporate speak I hear whenever one boss gets shoved sideways (and out the picture) and another takes over. 

Had to smile at this final bit:

Loyal fans should rest assured that Castle remains in the capable hands of a wonderfully talented team of people that love and respect each of the characters as much as they do.

You could have fooled me based on that finale and what they did to Beckett.  If that's respecting your characters I'd hate to know what would happen if they were ambivalent about them. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Ah, Marlowe has opted to resign the top post and spend more time with his family---uh, er---development contract.  At least ABC is giving him a decent burial......although given that appearances are everything in TV, it's mutually beneficial for both parties to pretend that everything is peachy.

I find it amusing that the replacement's name is David Amann.  My prediction?  By December we'll shorten the name to (D)amMann.  I suspect he won't change things that much.   But he might.  It would take some real ooomph to move that rudderless ship in a different direction.  Don't be surprised to discover that the dream sequence started right after Season 4 ;-).

Yes, the subject for the summer...when DID the dream sequence begin ;-).  In other words, how far back do they need to go to make things right.

I crack up when I see the "most watched" statistics.  Even people in media would benefit from following the Cancellation Bear on Twitter.  Most watched is just bragging rights.  It means zilch if the demo isn't that good.  Of course, the media is just repeating ABCs press release....

Next year will be quite interesting.

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 1

Yeah, I looked up Amann's episodes and it's 90% drama/high stakes. Can't say I dislike his episodes - 3XK is one of my favorite dramatic ones - but I would've been happier with someone who really "gets" what Castle is (or what I think it is, lol). Like T.P. Winter. Among DA's episodes "After the Storm" and "Heroes and Villains" are the most "castlesque" IMO, they're good but not my favorites. And the overwhelming majority of good to below average drama/action output doesn't inspire that much confidence (in me). We'll see though.

I feel the same way.  Let's wait and see.  But at least there's more of a chance of change than before.

"Heroes & Villains" is probably my favourite castlesque Castle episode of Amann's.  

ATS was alright, but to be honest, I wished they'd gone with more romance than comedy the morning after, and some meaningful pillow talk after such a turning point.  And we got our first interrupted kiss.  Who knew it'd be the first of a very many?

3XK and Target were good dramatic episodes, and his first parters were usually better than AM's second parters.

I don't think she understands....that's what I was concerned about.

LOL, indeed.  Maybe it's a good thing Amann's not on twitter heh.

Who knows, but it doesn't seem likely that AM/TM would write a finale like FBFW and not be expecting to be the showrunner/writer for the following episode, especially as they knew they wanted to pick up directly where they left off. 

Changed the title of the thread to make it more general so people can talk about the good, bad and ugly decisions that Marlowe and the new EP David Amann made/make with regards to the show. Also, this is the place to discuss the news that Marlowe and his wife Terri are taking on a limited role next season.

The thing is that I'm hoping that Hack's "vision" will change with D. Amann taking over. I would be straight pissed to have to cleanup the fuckery of last season and Castle Does Dynasty: Extreme Character Assassination Edition only to have my ideas and, yes, vision be shot to hell because Hack is using him as a puppet.

I really do find this shocking for some reason. And I don't think it's beyond all possibly that the comments sent to ABC plus social media (and critics panning the finale) might have something to do with this. Either way I'm truly glad to have some fresh blood in the writers room.

(edited)

"Castle Does Dynasty: Extreme Character Assassination Edition" Heh. Best description yet.

Like Elysium I hope that something good will come of this and it's not just some cosmetic change because if it is then I do honestly think the ratings will carry on slowly bleeding and S7 will be the last given the increased competition in the timeslot.  I don't care if this was the "most watched season ever" according to the ABC media spin I felt it was lacking in so many areas yet again for me with very few episodes I'd watch again and S5 was the same. They need to pull their socks up, stop being being so complacent about what they're producing if they want this show to have increased longevity.  

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Hello :)

Coming out of lurkdom and switching forums.

Boy I'm pulled back a couple of years and entered the ugly Gilmore girls stage again. I often asked myself if Marlowe is friends with AS-P. Although I have to admit Gg was way more screwed up before AS-P flipped everyone the bird.

I'm not really sure if I believe he is out for good or if he still pulls strings in the back.

Verdana: I don't care if this was the "most watched season ever" according to the ABC media spin I felt it was lacking in so many areas yet again for me with very few episodes I'd watch again and S5 was the same.

Same here. The season was the worst so far and the finale didn't help. If we had gotten one hell of a send off I wouldn't even complain that much because there would have been a pay off for all the lazy, boring crap they dished out. Now I don't even wanna rewatch or buy the dvd. The extras will be available online anyway so there is that and I sure don't pay hard cash on that crap of a season.

Edited by cappuccino