Type keyword(s) to search

In The Dark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, The Wild Sow said:

The DEA.

Ahhh.  Good for him!  He’s a newbie there so it was very brave of him to take initiative like that after being shot down by his superior.  I hope we see more of him next season.  We need more good guys like him and Josh.

• Love 5
On 6/26/2020 at 6:55 PM, dubbel zout said:

Dean's illegalities were felonies: He was aiding and abetting a drug dealer, not fixing parking tickets. He doesn't deserve any sort of happy ending, even if he has an awesome daughter who would now be parentless. Don't do the crime if you can't do the crime applies to everyone.

Worse than that, he was a murderer, kidnapper (holding Murphy against her will), threatened her and the gang with murder (and likely would have followed through if they did not cooperate), and was planning to frame Murphy (and probably the rest) for the drugs. In this season finale, he came across as deranged at best and evil at worst, not just an otherwise decent guy trying to clean up his mistakes. I was yelling at Murphy that she shouldn't try to stop him from killing himself, and I applauded when he did. It was for me the best part of this episode, which otherwise seemed a mess and pushed way past the limits of believability. I'm glad Gene finally figured it out, but I still don't understand the purpose of the scene in the previous episode where he drunkenly visited Dean.

Chloe will be better off without the deranged guy that her father turned into, though it will be hard for her to deal with his suicide and the knowledge of his crimes. But talk about loose ends--did Jess and Felix just leave her in the bar by herself? Why would the bartender (who was not visible but presumably not Chelsea) let a child stay there? Then when Murphy showed up to tell her Dean was dead, the bar appeared to be completely empty...and given the time that must have passed after getting the money to Josiah near midnight and then coming back to the bar, it was probably closed or about to close. Did Murphy contact anyone to at least temporarily take care of Chloe (such as Murphy's parents or Chloe's aunt)? Of course, it would be hard to explain why she needed taking care of.

It looks like they will be dragging out the drug involvement next season, and I have had enough of that so probably won't be back.

4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I am missing something- who was it that Gene called, which I assume is what lead to the police surrounding Dean in his house?

He said "I need to speak to Agent Porter at the DEA right away, please."

• Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hated when Murphy broke up with Max and then didn't want him to leave. Enough already. You don't want him, let him go. Also, her ability to think she could just be with Josh after all that... she doesn't really respect him, she thinks he's stupid, maybe?

Ugh, I know. Murphy is incredibly selfish. She always has been, of course, but wow, did this sequence reinforce that. It's all about what Murphy wants.

4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I am missing something- who was it that Gene called, which I assume is what lead to the police surrounding Dean in his house?

Gene called the DEA, and I assume he also brought along the CPD.

I did not expect Dean to off himself—mostly because Rich Sommer is a decent "name"—but it fits with how desperate he was in that moment. But orphaning Chloe? That didn't seem like him. And poor Chloe. Not only is her dad a murderer and a liar, now he's dead and she has no parents left.

And speaking of Dean, why did we get that really weird drinking interlude where he puts on the Archies and dances around the house like he and Murphy are on some kind of date?!

I was kind of hoping we'd be done with this drug stuff and the gang could move onto something else, but I guess not. I think my favorite part of the episode was when Felix, Max, and Jess delivered the drugs to Josiah, and he said, "This is a bigger haul than I expected," and they were torn between "Wha?" and "Good, we won't die just yet."

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:
2 hours ago, Paloma said:

It looks like they will be dragging out the drug involvement next season, and I have had enough of that so probably won't be back.

Unless maybe they give Pretzel top billing?

I'd definitely be in for a show focusing on the dogs at Guiding Hope, with the humans there just for background!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Unless maybe they give Pretzel top billing?

I looked at the IMDB page for this show and Pretzel’s portrayer has his own page where he is listed as ‘actor’ 😃🥰

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I looked at the IMDB page for this show and Pretzel’s portrayer has his own page where he is listed as ‘actor’ 😃🥰

As he should!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, I know. Murphy is incredibly selfish. She always has been, of course, but wow, did this sequence reinforce that. It's all about what Murphy wants.

Gene called the DEA, and I assume he also brought along the CPD.

I did not expect Dean to off himself—mostly because Rich Sommer is a decent "name"—but it fits with how desperate he was in that moment. But orphaning Chloe? That didn't seem like him. And poor Chloe. Not only is her dad a murderer and a liar, now he's dead and she has no parents left.

And speaking of Dean, why did we get that really weird drinking interlude where he puts on the Archies and dances around the house like he and Murphy are on some kind of date?!

I was kind of hoping we'd be done with this drug stuff and the gang could move onto something else, but I guess not. I think my favorite part of the episode was when Felix, Max, and Jess delivered the drugs to Josiah, and he said, "This is a bigger haul than I expected," and they were torn between "Wha?" and "Good, we won't die just yet."

I almost thought Dean had a taken a hit of the drugs or something!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Paloma said:

Worse than that, he was a murderer, kidnapper (holding Murphy against her will), threatened her and the gang with murder (and likely would have followed through if they did not cooperate), and was planning to frame Murphy (and probably the rest) for the drugs. In this season finale, he came across as deranged at best and evil at worst, not just an otherwise decent guy trying to clean up his mistakes. I was yelling at Murphy that she shouldn't try to stop him from killing himself, and I applauded when he did. It was for me the best part of this episode, which otherwise seemed a mess and pushed way past the limits of believability. I'm glad Gene finally figured it out, but I still don't understand the purpose of the scene in the previous episode where he drunkenly visited Dean.

Chloe will be better off without the deranged guy that her father turned into, though it will be hard for her to deal with his suicide and the knowledge of his crimes. But talk about loose ends--did Jess and Felix just leave her in the bar by herself? Why would the bartender (who was not visible but presumably not Chelsea) let a child stay there? Then when Murphy showed up to tell her Dean was dead, the bar appeared to be completely empty...and given the time that must have passed after getting the money to Josiah near midnight and then coming back to the bar, it was probably closed or about to close. Did Murphy contact anyone to at least temporarily take care of Chloe (such as Murphy's parents or Chloe's aunt)? Of course, it would be hard to explain why she needed taking care of.

There's also conspiracy to commit murder (setting up Gene). I wonder if they're going to try keeping Chloe, since it will make even less sense after this. Is this going to be a drug show, but with Gustavo, er, Josiah? I had assumed this was originally a drama with a blind woman, now it's a crime drama where the blind woman is put in ridiculous situations for a blind person (or sighted) to be in. They even added a guy losing his sight this season to remind us how blind people usually deal with the world.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, ketose said:

I had assumed this was originally a drama with a blind woman, now it's a crime drama where the blind woman is put in ridiculous situations for a blind person (or sighted) to be in. They even added a guy losing his sight this season to remind us how blind people usually deal with the world.

I didn't mind the initial reveal of Josh losing his sight and how he tried to hide it because it was a realistic situation (maybe not so common with young people, but it does happen, and it's very scary to think about losing your sight), and it made me care about him. What really bothered me about this episode in terms of the blindness aspect of the plot was how Murphy sent Chloe on this emergency mission late at night, having to navigate public transportation and find a place she had presumably never been to, possibly in a sketchy area. (I'm not sure it was a sketchy area, but a preteen or early teen blind girl walking to a bar in an unfamiliar urban area late at night is never a good idea.) I understand that Murphy saw it as a life-or-death situation, but wouldn't it have been better for her to ask to use Chloe's cell phone or a landline to call 911, or even for Murphy to scream that Dean had kidnapped her and was threatening to kill her when she opened the window and heard what Dean was telling Gene? 

I guess it's easy for me to criticize when I was not in that situation, and most likely I would not be thinking straight either.  But this was one of several plot points in this episode that had me muttering "That's ridiculous."

17 minutes ago, Frisson said:

I’m just glad Gene’s good guy instincts kicked in, AND he didn’t get killed.  I really thought he would be a casualty, not Dean. 

Same. I also thought the lieutenant would do something to hurt Gene. That could still happen, I guess, but it seems like the lieutenant doesn't want to get any more involved in things than he already is. If Gene can clear the case without him having to do anything, that's what he wants.

14 minutes ago, Paloma said:

What really bothered me about this episode in terms of the blindness aspect of the plot was how Murphy sent Chloe on this emergency mission late at night, having to navigate public transportation and find a place she had presumably never been to, possibly in a sketchy area.

This sort of thing is why I'm a bit torn on having Chloe return. You know Murphy won't think twice about asking Chloe to do something else like this. Maybe it won't be so urgent, but it will likely be equally reckless.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Not only is her dad a murderer and a liar, now he's dead and she has no parents left.

And she will probably feel like she was partly responsible for his demise, even though she wasn't.

I like that the show has multiple blind and visually impaired characters. Otherwise, Murphy is a token.

Blind people are not much bothered by the dark, though.

I think Murphy didn't call 911 or shout to Gene because she doesn't trust the police. After Dean, she didn't know who was corrupt and who wasn't, and also she wanted to get the drugs to Josiah and get the entire operation off her back. It was a risky move, but that's how Murphy operates. She could have asked Chloe to call Jess, though. Or to let her call Jess on Chloe's phone. But... TV! Dramatics!

I think Dean was acting like it was a date (with the music, etc) because he really wanted Murphy to say she's no better than he is. I know people like that, who do terrible things but are very committed to their self-image that they are good people, and they want others to validate it. So I think he was hoping the booze would get her guard down. I actually thought he was planning to rape her, though. I was glad he didn't. But I've watched enough TV to think that was where it was headed.

Maybe Dean was working for the DEA all this time, and not for the local police department at all. He has now sussed out not only Dean but also the chief, as corrupt.

Did everyone think Darnell was really upset about Nia? I was surprised. I thought he really didn't care anymore.

I wonder if Dean did put a tracker in the heroin. And whether it was in the batch he was caught with, or if it's in Josiah's haul.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Maybe Dean was working for the DEA all this time, and not for the local police department at all. He has now sussed out not only Dean but also the chief, as corrupt.

Did everyone think Darnell was really upset about Nia? I was surprised. I thought he really didn't care anymore.

I think you mean "Maybe Gene was working for the DEA" and that would be cool if true. He did seem to make that call quickly after his police boss shot him down, and knew who to ask for.

I also was surprised at Darnell being so upset about Nia. It's not like we ever saw them have a loving or even warm relationship. But if she was his only close relative, I guess it could be upsetting regardless of their relationship.

• Useful 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I think you mean "Maybe Gene was working for the DEA" and that would be cool if true. He did seem to make that call quickly after his police boss shot him down, and knew who to ask fo

Gene being undercover for the DEA makes total sense to me with the way he was characterized throughout the season. But if his calling the DEA guy was supposed to be the big reveal of that, they missed the mark. 

16 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I also was surprised at Darnell being so upset about Nia. It's not like we ever saw them have a loving or even warm relationship. But if she was his only close relative, I guess it could be upsetting regardless of their relationship.

My understanding of Darnell’s reaction was in part the shock of her being gone, but then he went into a panic mode that the Scooby Pretzel Gang were about to be assassinated for it. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Gene being undercover for the DEA makes total sense to me with the way he was characterized throughout the season. But if his calling the DEA guy was supposed to be the big reveal of that, they missed the mark. 

My understanding of Darnell’s reaction was in part the shock of her being gone, but then he went into a panic mode that the Scooby Pretzel Gang were about to be assassinated for it. 

The Pretzel Gang!  I love it 💕🥨

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Maybe Rich Sommer did not think continuing with this show was his best career move?  https://www.primetimer.com/features/rich-sommer-on-how-run-completes-his-bad-tv-husband-trifecta

2 hours ago, possibilities said:
8 hours ago, Paloma said:

I think you mean "Maybe Gene was working for the DEA"

Yes!! That's what I meant!! Why did they have to give the characters names that rhyme??

I always thought it had to be an inside joke of the writers’: Gene and Dean. Like Gene was a mini-me/protégé of Dean’s. But I doubt they are smart enough to start next season by revealing that “Gene” was part of his undercover identity and his real name is Arthur or Ralph or something. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
On 7/10/2020 at 10:27 AM, dubbel zout said:

Maybe Rich Sommer did not think continuing with this show was his best career move?  https://www.primetimer.com/features/rich-sommer-on-how-run-completes-his-bad-tv-husband-trifecta

Ha! (They misidentified Perry Mattfeld in her picture with Sommers.) Bad guys are often more interesting than good guys, though his particular brand of bad guy overlaps a lot with douche, and I totally get why he might want to get out of that pigeonhole. And he doesn't seem to ever play the fun douche, which I guess is more of a comic character, and he hasn't done much comedy lately.

Dramatically I think one of the major characters probably had to go, and in that context, it makes sense it was Dean. I suppose he could have weaseled his way back onto the CPD, but his boss seemed done with him, unless Dean could blackmail him or something. But that's getting a bit in the weeds for Dean.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

the Scooby Pretzel Gang

Genius.

• Love 1

I just realized-- Dean thought Chloe was in the house. So he shot himself thinking she was there. It's bad enough for her to be orphaned, but to see her dad with his head blown to bits? He really was more about himself than her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I just realized-- Dean thought Chloe was in the house. So he shot himself thinking she was there. It's bad enough for her to be orphaned, but to see her dad with his head blown to bits? He really was more about himself than her.

Actually, at that point I think he knew she was gone. Didn't he look for the car keys before the police came, with the intention of taking Murphy to Guiding Hope (which he thought she didn't know)? When he couldn't find them and started raging, I thought she told him that Chloe took them and was gone. But I could be remembering this wrong.

• Useful 1
On 7/10/2020 at 8:28 AM, Paloma said:

I was yelling at Murphy that she shouldn't try to stop him from killing himself, and I applauded when he did.

Yep.  Come and sit by me.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

. It's bad enough for her to be orphaned, but to see her dad with his head blown to bits?

Chloe's not actually going to see anything,

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I didn't think of that, but now I am going straight to hell for laughing at your comment (and you can come with me).

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

I didn't think of that, but now I am going straight to hell for laughing at your comment (and you can come with me).

Anecdote I read recently, fellow on the subway sitting next to a blind girl, tells her, "Your guide dog's cute!"  Girls says, "Aw, well...I wouldn't know!"

5 hours ago, Paloma said:

Actually, at that point I think he knew she was gone. Didn't he look for the car keys before the police came, with the intention of taking Murphy to Guiding Hope (which he thought she didn't know)? When he couldn't find them and started raging, I thought she told him that Chloe took them and was gone. But I could be remembering this wrong.

No, you got it right.  When Murphy told him "Chloe already knows all of it," I think is when he lost all hope and decided to cheat the hangman, so to speak.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

Okay, I guess that's true....

And we can all go to hell together.

I think he knew she knew what was what. I didn't realize he knew she took the keys. What would he think she'd do with them? She doesn't drive. I am not surprised if I forgot a detail or twenty, though. Hmm.

Still... it's selfish of him to kill himself "for her sake" when really it's so he doesn't have to deal with the consequences of being found out.

• Love 3

I dread mentioning this but has Murphy been stopping by her local pharmacy for her birth control of choice aka " the morning after pill"?  Also known as, "the morning after my ex-boyfriend and I schtupped while burying a dead body "pill? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, tessabq said:

I dread mentioning this but has Murphy been stopping by her local pharmacy for her birth control of choice aka " the morning after pill"?  Also known as, "the morning after my ex-boyfriend and I schtupped while burying a dead body "pill? 

I hope this doesn't give the writers the idea to have Murphy pregnant next season. She can barely care for a dog, much less a baby.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Paloma said:

I hope this doesn't give the writers the idea to have Murphy pregnant next season. She can barely care for a dog, much less a baby.

Pretzel will be the babysitter!  Two birds, one stone.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Murphy can't take care of herself, either. She's a disaster. If they make her pregnant, I am OUT.

Murphy would have an abortion. Jess would make sure of it.

Or she would have the baby and leave it on the doorstep of her parents' house, ring the bell, and run away.

I really hope she's not pregnant, though. It's stupid for her to not use contraceptives, with her lifestyle. She ought to be worrying about both STDs and pregnancy. It's absurd that they wrote her to be this casual about the risks.

They could do a whole season on contact tracing after she tests positive for chlamydia.

TV writers enjoy morning sickness more than they enjoy epidemiology, though.

NOTE TO ITD WRITERS: PLEASE DO NOT DO ANY OF THESE THINGS. THEY ARE TERRIBLE IDEAS. I WILL FORGIVE THE UNREALISM OF FREQUENT UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MULTIPLE MOSTLY UNVETTED PARTNERS HAVING NO CONSEQUENCES, IF YOU JUST WRITE SOMETHING INTERESTING AND WILL ALSO MAKE HER START USING CONDOMS FOR NOW ON.  NO ONE WANTS A BABY STORY OR A PLOT ABOUT BURNING PEE.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

NO ONE WANTS A BABY STORY OR A PLOT ABOUT BURNING PEE.

She had a UTI in one episode, so there kind of has been a plot like that?

Also in season one, Murphy had a pregnancy scare and ended it by saying she was looking into getting an IUD. It'll do nothing for STIs, but for now we can assume she's at least on some reliable birth control.

Speaking of said pregnancy scare, IIRC, Jess was against an abortion and Murphy was all for. She's terrified of passing on the genetics of whoever it was that gave her up for adoption (implied to have abandoned her and possibly not even knowing she had a degenerative eye condition). Something, incidentally, that I would have preferred to have explored as a storyline than any of this drug nonsense.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

She's terrified of passing on the genetics of whoever it was that gave her up for adoption (implied to have abandoned her and possibly not even knowing she had a degenerative eye condition). Something, incidentally, that I would have preferred to have explored as a storyline than any of this drug nonsense.

I would also like to see that as a storyline--more realistic and interesting.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PinkRibbons said:

a degenerative eye condition

I thought Murphy lost her eyesight in a car accident. Or was that Chloe? Or am I thinking of something completely different? (Heh; that's entirely likely.)

48 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought Murphy lost her eyesight in a car accident. Or was that Chloe? Or am I thinking of something completely different? (Heh; that's entirely likely.)

I think Chloe lost her sight in the accident and Murphy lost it in childhood or adolescence due to retinitis pigmentosa or another condition.

• Love 1

I'm actually really glad they aren't making it a show about the blind girl searching for her family, or some other "story about blindness". I like that she's blind, it's part of her life, but it's not what she's DOING. People rarely get to see disabled characters where the story is not focused on some maudlin crap about "becoming disabled" or "the trials and tribulations of my impairment." I like that this show has a fully three dimensional character who happens to be blind, and her blindness is not ignored but it's not the only thing about her or her primary driver in life.

• Love 8
(edited)

There's an Early Edition binge on the Decades channel right now --the late 90s fantasy show in which a nice guy (Gary Hobson played by Kyle Chandler) receives tomorrow's paper today (wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Edition). 
Like In The Dark, there is a blind female main character (Marissa Clark, played by Shanésia Davis-Williams), but the show is not about blindness either.
It's nothing like "In The Dark." It's more like "Touched By An Angel" or the recently canceled "God Friended Me."
Nevertheless, watching the Pilot I just noticed a similar plot point. The hero's sidekick (Chuck Fishman played by Fisher Stevens) is as unscrupulous as anyone in In The Dark.
Specifically, in the Pilot, when Gary receives his first copy of tomorrow's paper today and uses it to make money at the horse race track and then gives the money to the blind receptionist at his place of employment so she can get a guide dog:

[CHUCK] All right, Gary, look, just run this by me again, okay?
You took the paper...You went to a betting parlor, you won money, and then, you gave it away.

[GARY] I gave it away.

[CHUCK] Why?

[GARY] She needed a dog.

[CHUCK] A dog? Why not ten dogs? Why not a whole kennel?

[GARY] Well, I don't know, it seemed like one dog was enough.

Next season In The Dark needs a Gary Hobson character. Maybe not with a magical newspaper, but someone to say: One dog is enough.
To tell Murphy: One bf is enough. 
Maybe Jess can become that person?

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Love 1

I've had this running on my phone, for the last couple of days, and it's annoying me, so I don't know why I'm watching. They were burying two people, and they got horny in the freezing cold weather? 

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Anela said:

I've had this running on my phone, for the last couple of days, and it's annoying me, so I don't know why I'm watching. They were burying two people, and they got horny in the freezing cold weather? 

Yeah.
Well.  
Considering he just got out of an extended stay in jail during which time he had reason to believe they were still an item.…  
And the frozen sex takes the pent up lust off the table before the end of the season….  
And they didn’t spend a lot of screen time on it….  
So, not the worst CW hook up. 

Edited by shapeshifter
4 hours ago, Anela said:

They were burying two people, and they got horny in the freezing cold weather? 

Typical Murphy, really. @The Wild Sow had a theory a while back that because Murphy experiences the world as a kinesthetic/tactile way, and for her, touch = sex. I don't think that's far off. I also think Murphy uses sex to block out her emotions. The physical release is a way to avoid all those other messy feelings she's having because of the situation everyone is in. And I think sex is a way for her to take some control over the unavoidable vulnerability that being blind gives her. She's almost always the one who initiates it.

• Love 4

I know I am late to this thread but I just binge watched both seasons and I skimmed through the comments, but didn't notice if anyone brought up Jess and her tampon-changing incident in the woods while they were burying the bodies. Yes, it's gross, I know, but she literally left her DNA (her used tampon) at the site of the buried bodies. Why else would they work a tampon change into this scene?

• Love 1

I saw Rich Sommers on Penn and Teller: Fool Us. Apparently, he's been a fan of them since childhood. I just wonder if they filmed it before or after he knew his character's fate on In the Dark.

After meaning to watch this show for ages but never getting around to it, I decided to marathon it, and while it was filled with a lot of ridiculousness and melodrama and frequently unlikable characters, I admit to getting sucked into the many plot twists and the excitement of it all, and I am interested in seeing how the gang will possibly get out of this one. 

I so did not see Dean being the killer at the end of season one coming, mainly because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in a lot of ways. Like, why the hell would Dean seek out and even start dating Murphy, the person most interested in his murder and the only witness?! Because he wanted to keep an eye on her? I know it started as him looking for a blind buddy for Chloe, and because she was always showing up asking about the case, but it seems like he wouldn't want her to be too close to him or the case. I didn't feel sorry for Dean, especially as he got increasingly more awful and was even willing to have Gene killed to cover his tracks, and I wanted him to face the music instead of killing himself, but I do feel terrible for Chloe, and there is something sad that one horrible accident (that killed Chloe's mom and made her blind) totally destroyed this family in increasingly horrible ways. Poor Chloe, hopefully she has some extended family that can take her in, or I dont know what will happen to her. 

I am glad that Gene turned out to be a good guy and cop, I was starting to think that he might turn into another Dean, cutting corners and breaking laws to fit into a narrative of a case they want to crack, so I was glad that he instead decided to go to the DEA, even after his captain told him to let it go. I hope that this is a wake up call for him, that cutting corners and doing little things will just lead you down a bad road (which is basically what happened with Dean) and that he can go on to be a good detective. Make more murder boards! 

My favorite main (human) character is probably Felix, as he is mostly a decent guy, if super neurotic and awkward, especially next to Jess and Murphy. Jess is just so mopey and is always blaming everyone else for her problems, and Murphy is just a selfish jerk for the most part. I have no clue how she gets so many guys to fall for her (besides her luscious hair and adorable animal sidekick) when she treats everyone in her life like crap and is always pissed off at everyone, sometimes for no reason, and is in general an absolute hot mess. Not due to blindness, but due to  Max is also a pretty big mess, just less of a dick about it (usually) so maybe they really are meant to be. I really like Josh, and I think he can do way better than Murphy, even beyond Murphy leaking his cases to her drug dealer boss. His response to Murphy's completely inappropriate "so you came here to sleep with me right?" (between that and her boning that donner in the first season, its possible that their business is going under just due to her incompetence) was a very appropriate "the fuck is wrong with you" and he generally seems like a decent and professional guy. 

I feel kind of bad saying it, but I cheered when Ben finally died. I could not stand him, every scene with him was nails on a chalkboard, so I was totally cool with him being off my screen. 

Of course, my real favorite character is our real hero, Pretzel, the goodest of good boys. Such a sweet good boy he is, certainly the most competent character on the show, whenever he isn't around I am just like "this would be such a better scene with Pretzel" or I am wondering what he is getting up to while his maladjusted human is burying bodies and stuff. 

I know that we have to keep this drug stuff going, especially now that Josh has an idea about whats up, but I find that stuff to be some of the least interesting aspects of the show. I feel like we dont really know Murphy and what her deal is yet, despite her being the main character and we are two seasons in, and why she has all of these issues. In general, season two got so wrapped up in the drug stuff that we lost the characters (Murphys parents basically disappeared) and really getting into who they are and how this is affecting them. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

After meaning to watch this show for ages but never getting around to it, I decided to marathon it, and while it was filled with a lot of ridiculousness and melodrama and frequently unlikable characters, I admit to getting sucked into the many plot twists and the excitement of it all, and I am interested in seeing how the gang will possibly get out of this one. 

I so did not see Dean being the killer at the end of season one coming, mainly because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in a lot of ways. Like, why the hell would Dean seek out and even start dating Murphy, the person most interested in his murder and the only witness?! Because he wanted to keep an eye on her? I know it started as him looking for a blind buddy for Chloe, and because she was always showing up asking about the case, but it seems like he wouldn't want her to be too close to him or the case. I didn't feel sorry for Dean, especially as he got increasingly more awful and was even willing to have Gene killed to cover his tracks, and I wanted him to face the music instead of killing himself, but I do feel terrible for Chloe, and there is something sad that one horrible accident (that killed Chloe's mom and made her blind) totally destroyed this family in increasingly horrible ways. Poor Chloe, hopefully she has some extended family that can take her in, or I dont know what will happen to her. 

I am glad that Gene turned out to be a good guy and cop, I was starting to think that he might turn into another Dean, cutting corners and breaking laws to fit into a narrative of a case they want to crack, so I was glad that he instead decided to go to the DEA, even after his captain told him to let it go. I hope that this is a wake up call for him, that cutting corners and doing little things will just lead you down a bad road (which is basically what happened with Dean) and that he can go on to be a good detective. Make more murder boards! 

My favorite main (human) character is probably Felix, as he is mostly a decent guy, if super neurotic and awkward, especially next to Jess and Murphy. Jess is just so mopey and is always blaming everyone else for her problems, and Murphy is just a selfish jerk for the most part. I have no clue how she gets so many guys to fall for her (besides her luscious hair and adorable animal sidekick) when she treats everyone in her life like crap and is always pissed off at everyone, sometimes for no reason, and is in general an absolute hot mess. Not due to blindness, but due to  Max is also a pretty big mess, just less of a dick about it (usually) so maybe they really are meant to be. I really like Josh, and I think he can do way better than Murphy, even beyond Murphy leaking his cases to her drug dealer boss. His response to Murphy's completely inappropriate "so you came here to sleep with me right?" (between that and her boning that donner in the first season, its possible that their business is going under just due to her incompetence) was a very appropriate "the fuck is wrong with you" and he generally seems like a decent and professional guy. 

I feel kind of bad saying it, but I cheered when Ben finally died. I could not stand him, every scene with him was nails on a chalkboard, so I was totally cool with him being off my screen. 

Of course, my real favorite character is our real hero, Pretzel, the goodest of good boys. Such a sweet good boy he is, certainly the most competent character on the show, whenever he isn't around I am just like "this would be such a better scene with Pretzel" or I am wondering what he is getting up to while his maladjusted human is burying bodies and stuff. 

I know that we have to keep this drug stuff going, especially now that Josh has an idea about whats up, but I find that stuff to be some of the least interesting aspects of the show. I feel like we dont really know Murphy and what her deal is yet, despite her being the main character and we are two seasons in, and why she has all of these issues. In general, season two got so wrapped up in the drug stuff that we lost the characters (Murphys parents basically disappeared) and really getting into who they are and how this is affecting them. 

Best recap ever for the show and possibly of yours, @tennisgurl!

Thanks, I needed that and will re-read if/when the show returns.

• Love 3

I finally got to watch this. I moved when the last episode aired so my DVR didn't catch it and then, since I live in Canada I couldn't stream it and had to wait for it to repeat (4 weeks later) on CTV. And I gotta say, as someone who thinks this show is just alright, I was like noooooooooooo when I realized it didn't record. So I guess I like this show more than I thought.

My take on Dean putting on the record and dancing and singing when Murphy agreed to a drink - he still loves her (if you can call it love) and he was happy she seemed to be softening toward him.  

I'm happy Gene figured out what was going on and ignored his supervisor's order to let it go and went higher up.  And I also liked his scene with Murphy at the end there in the ambulance. Maybe Murphy can learn to trust him. 

Does the gang know Nia was Darnell's sister? I understood his reaction to hearing she was dead since the audience knew but I was half expecting Jess to be like, why are you so upset?

Had a good laugh with Josiah's "that's a lot more than what I was expecting" and simultaneous phews from Max, Jess and Felix. 

Poor Josh. You're too good of a guy to get mixed up with Murphy and friends.  He put things together extremely quickly. 

I can't believe tiic wrote Max as saying he's in love with Murphy but if she still wants to see that other guy it's fine with him "just don't tell me". Wth is that? Max should have been the one that ended things, not Murphy. And Murphy's, let's break up, wait, where are you going? irritated me to no end. 

I hope there's a way to keep Chloe on the show but I'm pretty sure that is wishful thinking. 

• Love 2