Type keyword(s) to search

In The Dark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/10/2020 at 1:33 PM, shapeshifter said:

Was that the  one in which Max was jail shivved enough to be killed 3 times over and yet, there he was in the next scene with a little square bandage on his bare (again) abs?

After Max was shivved, my husband said "I guess he's out of the show" and then said that the show would jump the shark if Max survived this. I wouldn't go so far as saying the show has jumped the shark, but this plot point is definitely hard to believe. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Paloma said:

After Max was shivved, my husband said "I guess he's out of the show" and then said that the show would jump the shark if Max survived this. I wouldn't go so far as saying the show has jumped the shark, but this plot point is definitely hard to believe. 

So the new millennium catch phrase would be: Shivved the shark

• LOL 4

Near the end of tonight's episode I said to my husband, "I wonder if Jess's new girlfriend could be an undercover cop." Was I stunned at the actual reveal! That is even worse than being an undercover cop. (I'm deliberately being vague here to avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.)

I was very concerned about the dog that disappeared. When they found him, he was whimpering and seemed in pain--and I was thinking that he got hurt jumping off that high table while Ben was not watching him. That added another reason to hate Ben and not care that he is going to die (assuming that the flash-forwards at the beginning of each episode are not misleading).

Dean's "patting down" of Murphy when he and Gene found her and Felix in the van was outrageous. I mean, of course he can do this legally, but it was basically sexual assault and intimidation by someone who has already gotten away with murdering her friend and kidnapping and threatening her. I will be so angry if he is "redeemed" by putting away Nia, but I'm hoping that Gene will get wise to Dean and maybe even help Murphy and team. 

• Love 2

I had suspicions about Jess's girlfriend and I also have suspicions about Ben. He's just too much! I get that Murphy was lazy and sullen before, when her parents were in charge and letting her get away with it, but still... he noticed the backpack and he's usually acting like he's totally asleep.

I'm sick about what it looks like is happening to Darnell.

Not sure about the IRS guy. He seems really nice, but I have to wonder if he's actually not what he seems. I remember when Dean seemed nice.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Not sure about the IRS guy. He seems really nice, but I have to wonder if he's actually not what he seems.

His story about going blind does seem believable (since they showed him having trouble reading in the office), but I also wondered if it was just coincidence that of the two file names he played for Murphy to show how the phone could read to him, one of the names was Nia Bailey. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Paloma said:

That added another reason to hate Ben

I don't understand why Ben is there in the first place. He was somewhat amusing for a while, and now he's just a tedious bore. His sister knows he's a slacker, and I can't imagine she'd be mad if Felix gave him the boot at this point. I can't feel bad he took a bullet, either.

3 hours ago, Paloma said:

I also wondered if it was just coincidence that of the two file names he played for Murphy to show how the phone could read to him, one of the names was Nia Bailey. 

I think it is a coincidence in that he doesn't know of Nia's connection to Murphy, but it's such a cheap move by the writers. SO obviously a giant plot device.

That said, I was ready to dump the show last week, and this ep kept me interested. I like that Felix and Murphy hashed out some of their feelings toward each other and acknowledged the truth of them. I like that Dean had to open Felix's backpack of vomit (hee).

I did not see Jess's girlfriend working for Sam and/or Nia. That's a nice twist. Slightly too convenient, again, but a nice twist nonetheless.

• Love 5

I’m pissed that they have now involved my boy Pretzel in their shenanigans- hiding drugs in his service dog vest?  Is he now technically an accomplice?  He is too pretty for prison 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 5/16/2020 at 10:34 PM, Kiki777 said:

I’m pissed that they have now involved my boy Pretzel in their shenanigans- hiding drugs in his service dog vest?  Is he now technically an accomplice?  He is too pretty for prison 😉

Well, they do have programs to train service dogs in some prisons, and apparently the prisoners love them, so maybe he will go somewhere he is really appreciated. Murphy is hardly a great caretaker.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Paloma said:

Well, they do have programs to train service dogs in some prisons, and apparently the prisoners love them, so maybe he will go somewhere he is really appreciated. Murphy is hardly a great caretaker.

He’ll make those prisoners his bitch.

• LOL 5

Oh Damn. I actually liked this episode, but... oh damn.

I'm also more than a little pissed off that they are making the most violent criminals the Black women and everyone else their victims. I'm especially annoyed that we finally got a butch lesbian character and she's the dangerous one, while her white girlfriend is soft-- they even had to bleach her hair to make her whiter!

But I love Chloe.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Individually the plot parts were almost cartoonishly easy, like Jess about to be killed by the drug dealers until she saves one of their lives,

Or these ridiculous coincidences: Felix and Chelsea go to the same market where police are searching the produce/drug truck AND F and C go to the employees-only area of the store to have a quickie AND do not encounter any store employees AND almost get caught by the drug dog that the police brought along, yet the police handling the dog do not go see what the dog was going after! I'm getting a bit tired of Felix's poor judgment and apparent inability to take the situation he, Murphy, and Jess are in seriously, at least when sex is dangled in front of him. Still, I mostly liked the episode and still want to see how things play out.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Paloma said:

Or these ridiculous coincidences: Felix and Chelsea go to the same market where police are searching the produce/drug truck

I don't think that was a coincidence, as Felix was supposed to put the drugs in the truck at that market. That's where the delivery was always made. The other stuff, though—the police search, no employees, etc.—was definitely a bit much.

This season started out pretty slow, but it's ramped up rather nicely, IMO. I wish things moved along a bit faster and we had a better idea of what the endgame is supposed to be (other than getting out of the drug game, I mean), but I'll probably stick around. 

I have to laugh that Dean keeps blaming Murphy for getting involved with Chloe when it's Chloe who's involving Murphy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think that was a coincidence, as Felix was supposed to put the drugs in the truck at that market. That's where the delivery was always made.

Thanks, I forgot that a delivery was made to that truck before. When he told Chelsea that he needed to go to the market to get ingredients for lasagna, I was thinking how stupid he was to delay the delivery. But now it makes sense (or as much sense as this show can make).

27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I have to laugh that Dean keeps blaming Murphy for getting involved with Chloe when it's Chloe who's involving Murphy.

It's funny but also a bit scary considering that he literally got away with murder. I worry that he will find a way to get rid of Murphy permanently (murder or at least prison) to eliminate what he sees as a threat to his relationship with Chloe. Of course, there is no show without Murphy, so it is good to see Dean getting so pissed off about this.

19 minutes ago, Paloma said:
50 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think that was a coincidence, as Felix was supposed to put the drugs in the truck at that market. That's where the delivery was always made.

Thanks, I forgot that a delivery was made to that truck before. When he told Chelsea that he needed to go to the market to get ingredients for lasagna, I was thinking how stupid he was to delay the delivery. But now it makes sense (or as much sense as this show can make).

Even though I kind of caught that Felix came up with the lasagna excuse to go to the grocery store to drop off the drugs, I managed to miss that Dean and the other guy were closing in on that grocery store --I think because it all happened kind of magically. Starting with frickin Klingon translations! LOL Anyway, it took me a bit to realize WTH Dean and the drug-sniffing dog were doing at the place where Felix was getting a quickie. Confession: It wasn't until after that that I figured Chelsea was the sister of the sketchy guy working at the dog place. IMO, it's all:

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

definitely a bit much.

• Love 1

I was thinking that Felix's girlfriend might be in the know, and deliberately was trying to distract him and draw him away from the truck so he wouldn't get busted.

Jess's girlfriend is a plant from Nia. No one is really what they first seem to be, on this show.

And the weird, sleepy, insubordinate, stealing-of-jacket dude that Murphy-Jess-Felix hired as a receptionist is Felix's girlfriend's brother. I have assumed he's also shady in some way because he's just too much otherwise-- and despite seeming to be half asleep all the time, he noticed it when Felix didn't have his backpack in a previous episode; that was a red flag for me.

So it's possible Felix's girlfriend actually knew exactly what was happening, and showed up deliberately to prevent him from going to the drop off, for whatever reason.

Otherwise, yes, there are too many coincidences, and also she was being exceptionally dense about the hints he was dropping (anvils, not hints) that he did not want her to come with him to the store, didn't want to suddenly make out in the back room of the store, etc.

No one being in the back room to me was not a big deal. I have worked in grocery situations and sometimes no one is in the stock room. And if the cops show up, believe me-- people will not want to hang around.

--

I actually like how Murphy and Felix trying to protect Jess backfired. Not that I liked seeing Jess have her life threatened, but just that I liked a highlight of intention not making up for impact, and how the character flaws of the various friends are being handled.

Murphy making the decision to go after Nia, still without consulting Jess (or Felix), doesn't really solve that intention vs impact issue, but it's in character.

--

I agree that Felix isn't handling the situation, but I also think he really is just in over his head. I think he was appropriately terrified until he got the gun, and since then he's been inappropriately reckless. It's a legitimately tough situation, though. I am not sure what his best options were when ordered to do a delivery when he had a date. Someone was going to be pissed and he can't tell the gf the truth. It's just a bad situation. He's not good at this. I think I'd consider it out of character if he was.

--

Is Dean's partner really just a golly gee puppy? I mean... he's a freaking detective. I don't get it. It's over the top. He seems to be decent enough at his job, better than Dean in many ways, but his persona is just... I have trouble believing it's not an act he's doing so Dean doesn't take him seriously.

I had trouble believing the IRS guy would actually want Murphy to sit there and wait while he puff painted all his files. It's a legitimate technique to use tactile markings, but he was being too cute about it. I know she wanted to hang around because she wanted to find a way to access his files. But him taking the bait was, like Dean's partner, too much for me.

--

Did Chloe really have a joint, or was that Murphy's joint and she just said that to be funny and get the IRS dude to bond with her more? I can't remember his name.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Did Chloe really have a joint, or was that Murphy's joint and she just said that to be funny and get the IRS dude to bond with her more? I can't remember his name.

Did Murphy say she got it from Chloe, or just from some kid at the party?

27 minutes ago, possibilities said:

So it's possible Felix's girlfriend actually knew exactly what was happening, and showed up deliberately to prevent him from going to the drop off, for whatever reason.

She has always seemed a bit flaky, so it's possible and even likely that she really was clueless and not picking up on the anvils but, as you said, 

28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Jess's girlfriend is a plant from Nia. No one is really what they first seem to be, on this show.

And then there is this:

29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Is Dean's partner really just a golly gee puppy? I mean... he's a freaking detective. I don't get it. It's over the top. He seems to be decent enough at his job, better than Dean in many ways, but his persona is just... I have trouble believing it's not an act he's doing so Dean doesn't take him seriously.

Gene's persona may be real, but he does seem sharp so I really hope that he is secretly investigating Dean...or at least suspicious of him. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Is Dean's partner really just a golly gee puppy? I mean... he's a freaking detective.

He's a brand-new detective, and this is his first case. 

27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Did Murphy say she got it from Chloe, or just from some kid at the party?

She got it from someone at the party.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Is Dean's partner really just a golly gee puppy? I mean... he's a freaking detective.

He's a brand-new detective, and this is his first case. 

True, but he does seem to have good instincts. I don't remember the details but think he has figured out a few things before Dean did, and that annoyed (or maybe worried) Dean.

• Love 2

His enthusiasm is due to being a newly minted detective; that's what I meant. His skills were never an issue for me. In fact, Dean has been trying to slow him down at certain points because he's getting too close to possibly finding a connection to Dean.

• Love 3

I just don't know how you get to be a detective without taking on a more serious veneer. It's not an entry level job. Don't you have to be a regular cop for a while first? I'd think that peer pressure, if nothing else, would get him to tone it down. I don't dislike him at all, but I just find his behavior incongruous, unless it's an act.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I just don't know how you get to be a detective without taking on a more serious veneer. It's not an entry level job. Don't you have to be a regular cop for a while first? I'd think that peer pressure, if nothing else, would get him to tone it down. I don't dislike him at all, but I just find his behavior incongruous, unless it's an act.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

On some cop shows they’ve had detectives who are less cop-like in their appearance and demeanor with the reason being that they just came out of several years of doing undercover vice. I have no idea if it’s like that IRL, or if it’s just a fictional excuse for an interesting character. 

• Love 1

Are people still watching this show? I thought last night's episode was pretty good, leaving aside that it was hard to believe that Murphy was allowed to leave Pretzel with the guard and that she was able to pass the cane with the drugs under the table (and that Max was able to put the drugs in his pants) without a guard noticing. I would think that watching out for contraband smuggling is one of the main duties of the guards during visiting hours, but maybe they are paid by the smugglers (or drug lords like Nia) to not look too closely.

This episode took place the morning after Felix and Chelsea were almost caught by the cops doing the bust at the market, right? Seems odd that neither one was much perturbed by it. Did Felix even realize that this bust was connected to what he was doing for Nia?

Ben's making breakfast for Felix and Chelsea and his almost friendly attitude also seemed odd and quite out of character. I guess he was just trying to stay on his sister's good side, and it certainly had that effect when Felix accused him of stealing drugs and Chelsea was outraged at this accusation against her "changed" brother.

Poor Jess! Her world is really crashing around her, and she doesn't have anyone left to support her. I had forgotten that she cheated on her ex-girlfriend (don't remember her name), and I guess that justified the anger expressed by her ex-girlfriend, but I don't think Jess is a bad person. She certainly doesn't deserve what's happening to her.

Last but not least, Dean continues to be a horrible excuse for a human being. Making his daughter think that he feels guilty for his partner's "suicide" when he actually is responsible for her murder (because of what he said to Nia) and that he and Murphy broke up because she made him feel bad about "feeling guilty" is all so outrageous. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Paloma said:

Last but not least, Dean continues to be a horrible excuse for a human being. Making his daughter think that he feels guilty for his partner's "suicide" when he actually is responsible for her murder (because of what he said to Nia) and that he and Murphy broke up because she made him feel bad about "feeling guilty" is all so outrageous. 

I thought the facial expressions of Calle Walton (Chloe) conveyed skepticism about most of her Dad's story.
I fell asleep at the mid-point commercial and woke up for the last 10 minutes, as I often do with shows at that hour. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Paloma said:

it was hard to believe that Murphy was allowed to leave Pretzel with the guard

Can you really not bring service dogs into a prison? That really does seem like a violation of the ADA, as Murphy said to the guard. I kind of like that she stuck Pretzel with the guard, believable or not. Heh.

Even though we know what happens to Ben (though not the why yet), he alternately deeply annoys me and cracks me up. I don't think Felix was wrong to ask him if he stole the drugs, but there was a more tactful way to do it: "Some drugs are missing; have you seen anyone in the room who shouldn't have been?" or something like that. And Felix also could have said he was asking everyone and Ben was first, but Felix has never been all that quick on his feet.

I'm liking how the IRS guy's story is developing. It's too much to ask that he and Murphy won't sleep together, isn't it? Sigh.

There will be a season 3, BTW. Color me surprised, but I guess it's easier to go with what you have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Can you really not bring service dogs into a prison? That really does seem like a violation of the ADA, as Murphy said to the guard. I kind of like that she stuck Pretzel with the guard, believable or not. Heh.

If it was the prisoner's lawyer's service dog, I would think it might be permitted, but, even then, I would expect the lawyer to use a cane when visiting incarcerated clients.

24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm liking how the IRS guy's story is developing. It's too much to ask that he and Murphy won't sleep together, isn't it? Sigh.

Me, too (to my surprise). I'm sure it is too much to ask that they won't sleep together, but it would be nice to see them have a platonic friendship--it would be good for both of them, unless Murphy makes him become one of her co-conspirator friends.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

it's interesting that the writers chose to not have her mention the advantage of Murphy not being able to pick anyone out of a police six-pack.

I'd love it if the cops brought Murphy in and then were like, "Oh, right..."

• Love 1

Jess is having a tough time, but they all are. It was Jess who stole the money that got them into this mess in the first place, isn't it? I think they're all culpable. I don't blame her for being upset with Felix and Murphy, but I also think she's stupid to be sleeping with an employee, and not being more guarded given the situation they're in. They're all kind of in over their heads, is really what it amounts to. None of them knows what they're doing.

I feel really bad for Darnell, to be honest. Everyone keeps sabotaging his efforts to save them, and no one is looking out for him, while he looks out for everyone else.

I still love Chloe. She might be my favorite character ever.

It is probably an ADA violation to bar Murphy from bringing her service dog, but unless she has a lawyer with her, the law makes no difference in terms of what people do or don't do. They would search the dog, though, if they did allow him entrance.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Jess is having a tough time, but they all are. It was Jess who stole the money that got them into this mess in the first place, isn't it?

Right. So shouldn't she be a little more forgiving WRT not being totally in the loop?

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It was Jess who stole the money that got them into this mess in the first place, isn't it?

I thought it was Jess and Felix together, and that they stole it to get money that Felix needed because of some financial mess he got in--but my memory on this is foggy.

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Can you really not bring service dogs into a prison? That really does seem like a violation of the ADA, as Murphy said to the guard. I kind of like that she stuck Pretzel with the guard, believable or not. Heh

Also, when Murphy walked into the visitation room alone, Pretzel whined once and looked up at the guard like ‘WTF man’?  That cracked me up.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I feel really bad for Darnell, to be honest. Everyone keeps sabotaging his efforts to save them, and no one is looking out for him, while he looks out for everyone else.

I know. Everything keeps going against him, and it's not as if he's asking all that much.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I know. Everything keeps going against him, and it's not as if he's asking all that much.

"To be fair," if Murphy abided by Darnell's request to "do nothing" and hadn't gotten drugs to Max in prison, Max would've been dead. 
But now it looks like the end result will be Darnell being dead. 😞

On 5/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, shapeshifter said:

So Max is a new kind of zombie?

Hot zombie beefcake.

---

I didn't see Jess leaving. I didn't see Felix coping in custody. I didn't see Darnell surviving. No idea how Murphy gets out of this one, now that Dean has her cane, but since there was evidence of the break in, I did wonder why they didn't use that with Nia. Darnell wanted her to move the drugs "because there was no security"-- and she trusts Murphy and Jess now, so I thought maybe there was an opportunity there.

They were renewed, weren't they? So getting rid of the cast one by one isn't what I expected.

I did like that they went out of their way to point out that obviously Chloe can usually ride the train, and that Jess realized she was getting off on feeling like a savior when Murphy didn't need one, and that she (Jess) was not the victim she used to think she was.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I didn't see Jess leaving. I didn't see Felix coping in custody. I didn't see Darnell surviving. No idea how Murphy gets out of this one, now that Dean has her cane, but since there was evidence of the break in, I did wonder why they didn't use that with Nia. Darnell wanted her to move the drugs "because there was no security"-- and she trusts Murphy and Jess now, so I thought maybe there was an opportunity there.

They were renewed, weren't they? So getting rid of the cast one by one isn't what I expected.

I did like that they went out of their way to point out that obviously Chloe can usually ride the train, and that Jess realized she was getting off on feeling like a savior when Murphy didn't need one, and that she (Jess) was not the victim she used to think she was.

Maybe Dean will pull over Jess and gf on their way out of town. Or are they definitely leaving the show?

The scene with Jess and Murphy physically distanced with Jess holler-splaining their dysfunctional codependent relationship was spot on and surprising deep for the show.

I would have preferred Chloe and Murphy getting their canes returned to each other before Dean found the dope, or maybe even better, have Chloe toss the contents of the cane before he searched it.

• Love 3

Cry me a river Jess. It was your idea to steal that money, starting this whole mess. And now you get to just run away from it? Way to prove you can't in fact be trusted to help in the business.

Dean having Murphy's cane isn't necessarily the win for him he needs; he has to prove it was hers, that she was the one who put the heroin in it, and that she intended to give it to Max. Meanwhile the cane having been in Chloe's possession drags Chloe into the case and a lawyer for Murphy could easily use that.

Also, Chloe on the subway: why you don't take away your kids phone as punishment. It's a phone. Which could be needed for an emergency. I still remember cell phones becoming acceptable for teenagers right after Columbine; schools used to ban them entirely before that. We got cell phone as soon as we hit driving age to call my mother and tell her we made it to our destination and are not dead.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I didn't see Felix coping in custody.

Nor did I, so it was a very pleasant surprise that he held his own.

No idea how Murphy gets out of this one, now that Dean has her cane

Murphy could say someone fiddled with her cane without her knowledge. It's not like she could have seen it.

They were renewed, weren't they?

Season 3 was approved before this season even started.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Meanwhile the cane having been in Chloe's possession drags Chloe into the case and a lawyer for Murphy could easily use that.

I hadn't thought of that. Chloe being in possession of heroin is similar to Felix pointing out that if they charge him with trespassing in the van, it screws up the chain of custody for any other evidence in the van for other case(s).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I found that the switched canes a little too convenient, but I do like that Dean is (mostly) plausibly thwarted in proving this case. I shouldn't be rooting for the drug dealers to win, LOL, but he's so awful I can't be on his side. I hope his partner isn't taken down, too, because he's a decent guy who's just trying to do the right thing. Dean is being a real dick to him.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I found that the switched canes a little too convenient, but I do like that Dean is (mostly) plausibly thwarted in proving this case. I shouldn't be rooting for the drug dealers to win, LOL, but he's so awful I can't be on his side. I hope his partner isn't taken down, too, because he's a decent guy who's just trying to do the right thing. Dean is being a real dick to him.

I keep hoping his partner figures out Dean is the one who should be in jail. 

• Love 5