Type keyword(s) to search

In The Dark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What exactly is Murphy's job at the guide-dog place? I got the impression it was sort of a "here's a blind person whose life was improved by a guide dog; please donate so others can benefit!" mascot-type thing. Is it something more substantial?

• Love 3

I can't figure out what Murphy is supposed to do for her job, either. I thought she was just there collecting a paycheck because her parents want to support her. I guess she could be there for the token PR value, but there are plenty of other blind people who could and would do the job better.

And, for that matter, they ought to hire blind people to do other jobs there, and not have it be all about sighted savior do-gooders and a token mascot nepotism charity case.

The entire organization is messed up and condescending and incompetent. Felix might be the only one there who actually has respect and an understanding of the mission, and isn't just a co-dependent with a hero complex.

• Love 4

I've just done a series re-watch, and in the pilot, Murphy became the organization's receptionist when their old one quit.

The pilot also has a scene where Felix tells Chloe that a chair is "here" and she complains about it, prompting Murphy to say he does stuff like that all the time to her. Makes Felix seem like a much bigger asshole in retrospect. Or at least, he's not motivated by wanting to help blind people so much as wanting to prove himself in his career.

Also in the pilot -- Murphy's parents talk about how they started Guiding Hope to help Murphy "get her life back on track", which makes me wonder if she was actually on a track at some point. I'd like to know if she tried college or any other career. IME homeschoolers don't tend to leave home after finishing school with absolutely no plan. We either stick around at home doing nothing (me) or we choose a course and try to plow through it (also me). Murphy is a lot of things but she's also clearly intelligent. I really want to know what made her essentially give up on doing much of anything other than living in the moment.

• Love 2

I'm not sure I blame Max for Tyson's death.

He was the informant, but did he really know that Tyson would be blamed? I'm not seeing how that follows.

Did I miss something, or was Murphy just reacting out of emotions and not really thinking clearly?

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Did I miss something, or was Murphy just reacting out of emotions and not really thinking clearly?

I’m going with that. If she knew for certain that’s why Tyson was killed, I could see her blaming Max (justified or not) but at this point, it’s just a theory (and not really a good one at that as Tyson wasn’t trying to get out of the drug life so why set up the boss?). And really Max is being blackmailed into being an informant against his will so if anyone is to blame it’s the narcotics cop. 

Smart move on the lady cop to arrest Darnell on Tyson’s murder. I thought she was toast when she got in that elevator. She’s just delaying the inevitable IMO and she’ll end up in jail if she doesn’t watch it but smart thinking.

I did believe Darnell didn’t hurt Tyson. 

Oh Dean...why not tell the bartender meeting Murphy was work related. Pretty sure he’s burned that bridge. And I felt bad for him. Part of me still wants Dean/Murphy though she’d likely eat him alive. Though I see flashes of toughness in him. So...hmmm. I get the hotness of Max, I just like Dean.

Wow, had a lot to say about this episode, evidently. I really do love this show. 

• Love 4

There was a lot going on this week and I'm still digesting it.

I actually agreed with Felix that Jess blew up her relationship because she really was ambivalent about Vanessa and kind of knew she wasn't "the one." Great acting in that scene, because I could feel the visceral revulsion Jess was feeling while Vanessa was hashtagging all that stuff.

Felix is kind of ride or die, isn't he? He's a badass in his own way. He both calls Murphy on her shit AND is willing to put himself on the line for her. It's kind of impressive. He's flawed as hell, but that makes him more on her level than if he wasn't, really.

I like Dean, also. Max is also likable. They're just really different types. I couldn't hack the danger of Max's life, and I'm just not into the "hot guy" aesthetic, but I get that Murphy is enough of a wildcard herself that actually Max is the more domesticated person in that pair. Murphy could not be with Dean even if Max was not in the picture, because Dean is too stable. And he really doesn't want the chaos. I don't see him becoming a more dangerous dude enjoying a more edgy lifestyle. This is not a case of Murphy's wildness somehow setting him free. I think he is excited by her because she's brave and blind and unbuttoned, but I don't think he wants to be more like her or have her high risk personality impacting him to the degree he thinks he does.

Likewise, I don't think Murphy really wants a nice, safe, unexciting life with Dean. It's a nice place to visit, but she would claw through the walls very quickly if she tried to live there.

I love when they do scenes of them with Chloe, though; Chloe is awesome. She's my absolute favorite character.

--

Lady Cop Who Arrested Darnell is going to be in big trouble for interfering with the bust, and she's going to have to explain herself to Dean as well as the narcotics team. Is she planning to fall on her sword to save him? Maybe by being his alibi? I guess that doesn't work, because if she was his alibi, she wouldn't have arrested him. I don't know how this works itself out.

• Love 4

Well this episode made me do a 180 on Felix; he was pretty awesome!

Also when Vanessa started so aggressively hashtagging instead of just taking the photo to post later, I was like, "get out Jess, get out now". Aside from the fact that she was being annoying as shit, some of those tags really did make it sound like she was in the relationship partly for the bragging rights about how woke she is.

• Love 4

I was legit surprised that Max turned out to be the informant. That's a nice twist.

I'm in the camp that believes Darnell didn't kill Tyson. I'll be really disappointed if he did. His 15-year-old cousin? That's super cold.

I like your read on Murphy's relationships with Max and Dean, @possibilities. I think Max is the better match because he can deal with Murphy's recklessness, but Dean as a friend is a good influence, as he shows Murphy that a stable home life is a good thing, even if it's probably something Murphy couldn't deal with all the time. But total chaos isn't a viable way to life, either.

Felix is turning out to be the stealth star. I like how he's being fleshed out.

ETA: I HATED that Murphy pawed at the cupcakes. Just ask for one! Jess rarely says no to anything Murphy wants. I'd like her to push back a bit more.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, PinkRibbons said:

Also in the pilot -- Murphy's parents talk about how they started Guiding Hope to help Murphy "get her life back on track", which makes me wonder if she was actually on a track at some point. I'd like to know if she tried college or any other career. IME homeschoolers don't tend to leave home after finishing school with absolutely no plan. We either stick around at home doing nothing (me) or we choose a course and try to plow through it (also me). Murphy is a lot of things but she's also clearly intelligent. I really want to know what made her essentially give up on doing much of anything other than living in the moment.

I took that to mean her being assaulted changed the way she was behaving. 

• Love 1
On 6/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, PinkRibbons said:

Also when Vanessa started so aggressively hashtagging instead of just taking the photo to post later, I was like, "get out Jess, get out now". Aside from the fact that she was being annoying as shit, some of those tags really did make it sound like she was in the relationship partly for the bragging rights about how woke she is.

Welcome to millennial/Gen Z relationships lol. It feels like 75%+ of lesbian/bisexual couples are trying to turn their relationship into a brand or monetize it somehow. It's super weird.

The choice of Rich Sommer as the stealth primary love interest of this show continues to baffle me, as much as I like him. Not only does he seem too old for Murphy (there's 16 years between them irl - Perry Mattfeld is 25), but his personality registers somewhere between "unhip suburban dad" and "friendzoned high school nerd." I appreciate that he's not Hollywood Hot, but still, not exactly a recipe for crackling sexual tension.

• Love 1
On 6/1/2019 at 2:48 AM, possibilities said:

Max is also likable.

I can't find a redeeming quality about this guy. As was mentioned before in this thread. He constantly calls her "babe" even though she told him not to, pressures her for sex even when she is not in the mood, launders money for drug dealers (which got him into his current situation of being a CI for the narcs) and worst offense, he peed in her kitchen sink, and then joked about it later.

I'm not sure what the writers are smoking, but no guy would do that, because it's just disgusting.

• Love 5

Well, I wouldn't date him, but look how Murphy acts most of the time. I wouldn't date her, either. They kind of deserve each other in a way that makes neither of them a catch.

I think they are trying to portray the drug dealing/money laundering as a trap neither he nor Darnell can easily escape from, kind of like Tyson.

• Love 5

Max's dislocated shoulder was cured by a shower! But it was already starting to heal before that, when he was eating his mac and cheese. Of course, it had to heal before the sex, because no way can a  person have sex with only one functional arm.

Also, blind people can run, and they can make a  bed.

That said, I did like the episode. I just wish they weren't so utterly lazy about disability stuff.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Max's dislocated shoulder was cured by a shower! But it was already starting to heal before that, when he was eating his mac and cheese. Of course, it had to heal before the sex, because no way can a  person have sex with only one functional arm.

I was waiting for him to make her pull on his arm to pop it back in -- oooowwwwwwwwie!

38 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I was waiting for him to make her pull on his arm to pop it back in -- oooowwwwwwwwie!

That would have at least been more realistic!

And Murphy would have enjoyed it, too, because it would have hurt like hell when she still wanted to hurt him.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just wish they weren't so utterly lazy about disability stuff.

I think that's Riley being the world's biggest asshole. She wants it both ways with her blindness, and it's getting really old. I'm thisclose to quitting the show because she's so awful way too much of the time. I don't want her to be cured by lurve, but FFS, lady, your life isn't that bad. People love you and want to help you. Start appreciating what you have, you ungrateful crank.

I'm SO relieved Jess and Felix went no further than they did with sex and can genuinely laugh about it. I also loved Jess's "It's big" and Felix's not-at-all-smug "I know." Hee.

• Love 3

But it's not Murphy's characterization that caused Max's shoulder to heal in time to eat mac and cheese and then have two arms capable of exertion for sex.

I was HORRIFIED when I thought they were de-lesbianing Jess. And SOOOO relieved when they didn't. I'm liking Felix a lot for not flipping out, and I really like them both, plus Boy Cop and his daughter (I can't remember their names) a lot more than Murphy or her criminal satellites or parents.

The dog who plays Pretzel always looks so happy, wagging his tail and essentially acting like it's all a lot of fun. I'm glad, because otherwise, the way she yanks and yells have me upset and worrying about the dog. She did sound really tender when they were running from gunshots and she asked "Where's Pretzel?" though.

The dog not barking or otherwise seeming scared at gunshots or when the people are freaking out was something I can handwave because I don't want an actual dog to be forced to act scared or alarmed. But it's also kind of noticeable that the dog is happy go lucky to that extent. I don't know what the answer is to that, because like I said, I don't want real dogs to be put into fake or real misery.

• Love 3

I don't know a lot about service animals, but should Pretzel be reacting to commands other than Murphy's? He's not a pet, he's literally her eyes, and he can't be going off against her wishes.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

The dog not barking or otherwise seeming scared at gunshots or when the people are freaking out was something I can handwave because I don't want an actual dog to be forced to act scared or alarmed.

One thing I do remember reading about (a long time ago, so I may be completely off) is Seeing Eye dogs being trained not to bark except in particular situations. I think the only time we've seen Pretzel speak is when Murphy is yelling for help.

Also, if even I know not to touch a service dog without express permission from its owner, those guys at the bar had no business petting Pretzel.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I don't know a lot about service animals, but should Pretzel be reacting to commands other than Murphy's? He's not a pet, he's literally her eyes, and he can't be going off against her wishes.

Yeah, gotta handwave that, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Also, if even I know not to touch a service dog without express permission from its owner, those guys at the bar had no business petting Pretzel.

I thought that was fairly in character for Murphy to allow, though, seeing as how she also lets Pretzel sleep in her bed (which I don't think is technically allowed, as it blurs the line between pet and working dog).

There's an adorable doc called Pick of the Litter that follows a litter of Guide Dog puppies for a year from birth. It does an excellent job of showing how the puppies are socialized and trained, as well as their final tests before being matched. It's less than 90 minutes, and there are many shots of adorable Lab puppies frolicking and trying to behave.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was HORRIFIED when I thought they were de-lesbianing Jess. And SOOOO relieved when they didn't. I'm liking Felix a lot for not flipping out, and I really like them both, plus Boy Cop and his daughter (I can't remember their names) a lot more than Murphy or her criminal satellites or parents.

I agree that Murphy and her various issues are among the least enjoyable parts of the show. I'm more interested in the relationship between Jules and Darnell at this point than the one between Murphy and Max, whose actor I find bland and the character he's playing irritating.

The hangout scenes, like the ones with Jess and Felix in the latest episode, sometimes don't flow well with the crime drama parts. The tonal shifts can be hard to adjust to.

Also, there have been a few times when characters undress/have sex in brightly lit rooms with uncovered windows. What's up with that?

I think it's a fairly common problem that people don't know Guide Dog etiquette, and will pet or otherwise interfere with Guide Dogs. So the scene in the bar didn't surprise me. The show didn't educate viewers that the guys were wrong to do that, though, which is another way the show is failing in my book.

It's probably true that GDs are trained not to bark or respond to the wrong person or otherwise go off script, so I would expect Pretzel to be more well-behaved and disciplined than most dogs, but they're not robots. Given enough provocation, I'm sure they will act like a civilian dog and ignore protocol.

My friend's GD was in one mode when working, and in another mode when relaxing. And Murphy doesn't behave like a person with a GD is supposed to. Her willingness to pawn off responsibility on Jess, or the way she yanks harshly on the harness, there are all kinds of things going on here that are not kosher.

• Love 3

Here's what I like about Max, and what Murphy likely does. He doesn't really treat her like she's blind. I mean, he does when he has to, but she *drove a car* (even if it was circumstantial), and rowed a boat, and when she tells him to back off to let her do something, he does. He lets her fall down on her own, and he just seems to always, always, *always* be there for her when she inevitably dusts herself off. He is too patriarchal in some ways for sure (e.g. "Babe", and the sex thing), but I think the show is trying to show him as being as flawed as she is. I like him and I think he's good for her (and I hope he's not dead, because WOW I'm not here for that kind of drama/guilt).

I also like Dean and Chloe, but as another post mentioned above, Dean and Max fill very different roles in her life.

I love how Felix has grown into his own over the course of the show. I'm so glad he wasn't super-weirded-out by Jess ("OH MY GOD. I'M SO GAY. SOOOO GAY!!!" may be my favorite line ever on this show), but was willing to be such a good friend to both her and Murphy. He has a depth to him that was unexpected - you sort of thought he'd be the comedic nerd boss guy that everyone made fun of (well, he was), but he's so much more. He's *such* a good friend, especially to Jess. I'm wondering if that's going to become an issue in the future, that he and Jess become besties and she stops enabling Murphy in the really unhealthy ways she does, and she (Murphy) gets jealous of their friendship (face it: she treats Jess like crap on the regular). He just seems like a good person. I hope he finds happiness on the show, because he deserves it.

I wonder if the parents are going to be written out now?

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, daisycat said:

(face it: she treats Jess like crap on the regular).

Jess lets her. I'm more mad at Jess than Murphy about that.

45 minutes ago, daisycat said:

I wonder if the parents are going to be written out now?

They're not a huge part of the show either way. 

• Love 1

I'm PISSED.  I really like(d) Dean.  There had BETTER be a misdirection or something.  I think he and Murphy are good together.  I mean, this show isn't the greatest, but I was shipping Dean and Murphy from the beginning so I was so happy when they kissed.  As soon as Dean got the "work call" I thought he was going to be shot or something, not meeting with Nia.  I am sure there's more than meets the eye with this.  This may not be the best show, but I am glad it's been renewed.  

• Love 2

Yeah, Dean possibly being dirty surprised me, too. Nice surprise, in a way, since Murphy is barely tolerable these days.

I'm liking the budding Felix/Jess friendship.

8 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I am glad it's been renewed. 

It has? Wow. I guess all those other CW series ending soon gave it an edge. I doubt the ratings are anything too great. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes. I don't want the mystery to go on forever, but it's Murphy's main reason to wake up in the morning.

Side note: Perry Mattfeld is in a hair commercial that gets played a lot. I finally recognized her—she's blonde in it and appears for about five seconds, happily brushing her lustrous locks, hee.

23 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Yeah, Dean possibly being dirty surprised me, too. Nice surprise, in a way, since Murphy is barely tolerable these days.

I'm liking the budding Felix/Jess friendship.

It has? Wow. I guess all those other CW series ending soon gave it an edge. I doubt the ratings are anything too great. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes. I don't want the mystery to go on forever, but it's Murphy's main reason to wake up in the morning.

Side note: Perry Mattfeld is in a hair commercial that gets played a lot. I finally recognized her—she's blonde in it and appears for about five seconds, happily brushing her lustrous locks, hee.

I had to google, but what I found said it has been renewed.  

• Love 1

If Dean is corrupt, he's the best actor on the planet,  because he comes across totally sincere-- though also kind of weird because Murphy really shouldn't be his type, and he kind of does seem a little dim in inexplicable ways sometimes-- which seems off for a detective. It would explain why there are so many dead ends, though, like when he couldn't trace the messages, and other slowness and inaction in the case, and also he always seemed kind of slow around Jules. His willingness to cover for her when she went off the rails, though, should have been more of a red flag. Yes, partners are loyal. But corrupt cops are corrupt cops, and loyalty is a problem when it crosses into cover ups or other abuses of power.

We saw that Nia's "guy" is not Dean, he's older than Dean and balding -- when he went after Max we saw that. She could have more than one, but still-- I would rather Nia be an informant than Dean be a killer.

I liked knowing that Jess and Murphy were close their whole lives. Jess isn't just co-dependent because she met Murphy at work or something, and she's randomly glomming on to "the blind girl" out of a savior complex. It's a mess, but I appreciated the history. And we also saw that Murphy really does love Jess, in her own extremely fucked up and self-centered way.

I do not like, though, the implication that blind people somehow forget how to skate. Muscle memory! It's one thing if she would have been disoriented in a crowded rink with people zooming around and her being worried about collisions. But for her to literally not be able to stand up on them just because she lost her vision? Utter bullshit.

I guess they decided to make Felix hapless again. I don't like that. He was more interesting as a dude who was awkward and misunderstood than he is as a guy who is used and derided by someone who he seemed to have a genuine bond with.

• Love 2

Are the only guys interested in Murphy vaguely criminal? This show holds my interest enough to watch the whole season, but I have trouble with how this plays out? Will they continue to unravel a criminal conspiracy? Is Murphy going to have to deal with life at some point?

• Love 2

Ok. I don’t for a second think it’s Dean. It’s classic misdirection. Nope. Nada. Not going for it. 

I loved the Murphy/Dean interaction. Aww. I’m a secret Dean/Murphy shipper. 

Now I have to wait a year. Ugh..

I love this show in all it’s messed up people and ways. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

There's another episode this week, so you might not have to wait a year... depending on what they tell us vs what else you want them to tell us.

Outstanding!! Thank you!! I was thinking that was the last one of the season. I’m keeping my fingers crossed! I really really really hope Dean is not the bad guy. 😞

• Love 1

Is it weird that I replayed several times to check what color Dean's shoe laces were? I *think* they might be different from The Mysterious Guy. Or it could just be different lighting on the same laces.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Is it weird that I replayed several times to check what color Dean's shoe laces were? I *think* they might be different from The Mysterious Guy. Or it could just be different lighting on the same laces.

It could still not be Dean, but that kind of fake out is kind of dumb and not something this show tends to do.

Man, that was some sniper-caliber character assassination on Dean. Good thing I didn't get too invested in him. I was surprised at how bad I felt about Jules though (and her cat!).

We're renewed through season 2, and I am tentatively intrigued by what might be coming to Guiding Hope and its new partner. Felix can't blame every problem on Murphy now; he and Jess took the money. I like Nia's mix of motherliness and evil.

They mentioned Chloe's grandmother (period episode) so I assume that's where she's headed, but if they want to ret-con that next season, I think it would actually make a lot of sense for Murphy's parents to be emergency foster parents. I mean, they have experience with their own adopted child with blindness.

• Love 6

That episode was as messed up as, well, Murphy is. I'm not sure how a non-profit can actually launder money properly. Good thing things don't have to make sense. I have to assume they're going to dial back the "blind woman in danger" scenes a little.

Nia's the kind of criminal mastermind who can only exist on TV. Blackmailing a cop is a bad way to do business. Putting a dirty cop on your payroll instead of making one dirty is a lot smarter. Presumably Dean is going to jail and Jules is dead, so cops may not be part of the show anymore. Then again, maybe Dean will wake up near the end of Season 2 and turn State's evidence against Nia.

• Love 3

That was seriously the most f**ked up hour of tv ever. That was not at all a satisfying end. Not only am I seriously bummed, I literally just lost interest in the show. And I had really liked the show.

Where do they go from here? How did show even get renewed with that kind of ending. The mystery is over, every one is gone, and the only story left is nia/Murphy/guiding hope? Interesting that Murphy finds herself going down the exact same rabbit hole Dean went down.

ugh...fail.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Man, that was some sniper-caliber character assassination on Dean. Good thing I didn't get too invested in him. I was surprised at how bad I felt about Jules though (and her cat!).

We're renewed through season 2, and I am tentatively intrigued by what might be coming to Guiding Hope and its new partner. Felix can't blame every problem on Murphy now; he and Jess took the money. I like Nia's mix of motherliness and evil.

They mentioned Chloe's grandmother (period episode) so I assume that's where she's headed, but if they want to ret-con that next season, I think it would actually make a lot of sense for Murphy's parents to be emergency foster parents. I mean, they have experience with their own adopted child with blindness.

I was oddly invested in him and I am SO disappointed.  

3 hours ago, ketose said:

That episode was as messed up as, well, Murphy is. I'm not sure how a non-profit can actually launder money properly. Good thing things don't have to make sense. I have to assume they're going to dial back the "blind woman in danger" scenes a little.

Nia's the kind of criminal mastermind who can only exist on TV. Blackmailing a cop is a bad way to do business. Putting a dirty cop on your payroll instead of making one dirty is a lot smarter. Presumably Dean is going to jail and Jules is dead, so cops may not be part of the show anymore. Then again, maybe Dean will wake up near the end of Season 2 and turn State's evidence against Nia.

This was my immediate thought.  This literally makes no sense what-so-ever. Unless they now have to change to a profit-earning business... which still makes no sense.

1 hour ago, MzLiz said:

That was seriously the most f**ked up hour of tv ever. That was not at all a satisfying end. Not only am I seriously bummed, I literally just lost interest in the show. And I had really liked the show.

Where do they go from here? How did show even get renewed with that kind of ending. The mystery is over, every one is gone, and the only story left is nia/Murphy/guiding hope? Interesting that Murphy finds herself going down the exact same rabbit hole Dean went down.

ugh...fail.

My thoughts exactly as I was watching this unfold.  I am so bitterly disappointed which is kind of funny considering, until now, I didn't even feel that attached to this show at all.  I watched it, but it was nowhere near my favorite show.  So, to feel this frustrated is kind of amusing to me.  But, mostly, I think i'm done. 

• Love 2