Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

This was glorious. I love how fully formed "The Baron" was. Sarah's show sounds like the high praised bummer I would mean to but never watch. "Band of Gold" is the high praised period piece that I would only watch the first season of despite enjoying the show. The roller derby show I want right now. I'm thinking Nexflix OITNB crossed with FNL vibe.

• Love 3

1)  Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell's "Sunday Morning" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK-Yrw4uVCA

Show Title: What Other People Do

Premise: A happily married couple of political reporters-turned-commentators each have  Sunday morning talk shows, based in D.C. for separate news networks. They also have cute young kids, but it's not about the kids. This is more like Murphy Brown, in that it mixes work and home families.

The Husband: Rick Cosnett ( Eddie Thawne, The Flash); The Wife:  Erica Cerra ( Jo Lupo, Eureka His Producer: Khandi Alexander  Her Producer: Gregory Cruz (Det. Bobby Stillwater, Saving Grace)

2)  The Gap Band "Burn Rubber On Me" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dc4n8EuK78

Show Title: Burn!

Premise: A young woman of color is trying to make it on the NASCAR circuit; it follows her ups and downs and her personal life, from the pits to the VIP boxes, where her mysterious main backer watches things.

Starring Onira Tares ( Grace Dixon, Sleepy Hollow); Her crew chief: Rockmond Dunbar ( Prison Break, TerriersThe Game and The Mentalist). 

3) Odyssey "Native New Yorker" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1rH_iaZkv0

Show TitleBOP *

Premise: A  newish law school grad leaves NYC to help a small oil company in a legal dispute with a multinational company down in Austin.  She stays on and has to decide if she wants to open her own practice, be the company's counsel or join a white shoe firm in the Texas capitol. Plus? It's the mid-70s! 

Starring: Zoe Saldana, Sam Elliot and James Morrison as the smaller company's owners,  Danny Trejo, Francis Capra, Dot Marie Jones, and (ideally) the male cast of Magic Mike to be various  oil riggers our lead meets.  

*  The title, while a bit obscure, stands for Break Out Preventer, a piece of the rig that keeps the pressure in the drilling pipe even, if I understand correctly.    

I want to just say, I was inspired by all the choices you all made. 

I liked Sara's anthology idea; not all break-ups are awful, so it could be interesting to see the various scenarios.

Tara's idea was cool,imo, but then again I loved Swingtown.  Being just a kid is probably why I enjoy some pieces set at that time.

Joe's roller derby, like Jell-O , I liked and it's not like roller derby show on TV is a hard sell  (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077074/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11 ); yours would be a sharper take. 

Dave's travelling, pool-playing detective family is definitely a new spin on the genre. *g*  Maybe Barbara Hershey instead of Helen Mirren?

I have to nominate Dan Connor for the best dad, with Heathcliff Huxtable as a runner-up.

The worst has to be horribly long monologue man Papa Pope.

That skinny idiot from "Baby Daddy" for douchiest.

And I just can't pick between Coach Taylor (good pick, Monty!) and Raylan Givens for the DILFiest.

• Love 1

I thought all your ideas for this were utterly produceable. I think I'd be most interested in Sarah's show...I figure by Season 2, one of the lawyers is the one getting a divorce, yeah?

• Love 2

Between the two of them, Tami and Coach Taylor were parenting that entire town. Coach and Keith Mars are a tie for me. Coach was raising all of the kids, but Keith literally walked through fire for Veronica so: toss up.

Good TV dads should be a category where we could cite Cliff Huxtable, but everything Cosby related is ruined forever.

I had a hard time with that Cosby decision...but then I remembered the episode where they set up the boarding house for Theo because he thinks he can live on his own, and the one where Heathcliff sits at the breakfast table wearing all the awful Father's Day ties and Hawaiian shirts and the soap on a rope that he's received from the kids over the years...and I had to include him.

I had a hard time with that Cosby decision...but then I remembered the episode where they set up the boarding house for Theo because he thinks he can live on his own, and the one where Heathcliff sits at the breakfast table wearing all the awful Father's Day ties and Hawaiian shirts and the soap on a rope that he's received from the kids over the years...and I had to include him.

I totally get that! He was my favorite TV dad for a long time and this whole topic is about fictional characters, not the actors who play them. And the character was great. The actor though... The whole situation is just so depressing. I can't even watch them lip-synch to "Night Time is the Right Time" to cheer myself up anymore! 

Dave, I know. That was less of a complaint and more of a whiny "man, I thought of that too." Since none of my games have been successful, I was just being infantile. His version was way more fun, anyhow!

Fitz and anyone. He's the worst, and even though everyone on that show is terrible (except Mellie of course) they still don't deserve to be stuck with him. In fact, if they could find a way to write him off the show so we could all breakup with him, what's left of that show would be much improved.

• Love 1

YoSaffBridge - just look up pegging. I'm pretty sure that's what Sarah meant. NSFW obvs.

Also Dave, never say "Too Many Cooks" during the podcast because then I get distracted and have to stop the show and go bleach my mind. <3

I can't get past Dr. Huxtable asking Denise's husband whether she was a virgin on their wedding night.  Ew.

But worst dad for me is Lord Grantham from Downton Abbey whose insistence on an incompetent doctor pretty much killed his daughter and whose incompetence with investments pretty much killed his wife's bankroll.

Douchiest:  Jim Walsh of Beverly Hills 90210 for his sexist attitudes towards his daughter's love life and for raising the douche that was Brandon Walsh.

DILF:  Gary Shepherd of thirtysomething.  I love me a post-modern hippie boy anyway but his scene at the piano singing "Inchworm" to his daughter just seals it for me.

BestDerek Shepherd of Grey's Anatomy who could almost out-cute his adorable daughter Zola at their tea party and who seemed to have 24/7 access to fabulous daycare.

Fun!

I always wanted to hear Metallica do a version of the Mission Impossible theme song. (Just start with dum dum duh na, dum dum duh na, and add a shitload of really fast duh duh duhs between each beat and you've got it.)

My vote would be the cast of Top Chef in a 70s-80s style classic rock guitar based band such as Van Halen. Tom and Padma run the show and play drums and lead guitar. Gail's on base and at the moment Hugh is the lead singer.

Animated Division:  Pinky and the Brain in a Wham!-type band, Narf!,with Brain being the lead vocalist, of course. Pinky plays guitar, in his fashion. Some cover tracks are: "Young Guns (Go For It!)", "Bad Boys" and "Nothing Looks The same In The Light".  Brain can also cover George Michael's solo hits too, like "Father Figure" and "Just One More Chance". The first album is Your Friendly Neighborhood Overlord (and Pinky).

Old Show: All in the Family in a hip hop crew, Queens of Old Age, a nod to where they lived.  Edith would spin and scratch (Spin Cycle- a nod to her housewife duties). Gloria, aka Glo, would play keyboard some and spit rhymes, despite Mike, aka Meathead (embracing the nickname and the profits from merch), wanting to be the only "younger" one to rap. Archie, of course, has lead rap duties, as an acceptable-ish outlet for his opinions. He is known as Da Arch.  Stephanie is the manager and keeps peace between all her divas. Their first album is called What The Eff Are These Things?!   Essentially a cover band, they mix classic standards and old school hip hop. Tracks include: "Cheek To Cheek", "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody", "You're The Top", "White Lines (Don't Do It)", "Rapper's Delight" and " Potholes In My Lawn".  There is a club single of Edith/Spin Cycle covering Queen Latifah's "Come Into My House" as well.

New Show: Arrow in a Disney-backed pop group, Thr3e Pow3r.  Oliver Queen is lead vocal and guitarist, with bassist John Diggle. Felicity Smoak is on keyboards, naturally.  Their first album is Happy Stories. Their first single is " That Boy Is Gone". Other tracks are: "I Will Never Leave Again", "Out Of Towners", " Witch With Wi-Fi ",  "I Prefer Bahamas" and " Can I Say Something Strange? (I'm Happy.)"

• Love 1

Yes, of course Elizabeth Reaser goes without saying. I really can't tell if I hate the acting or if the first role I remember seeing her in was that godawful woman on Grey's. Impression solidified on Mad Men. I have the same reaction to Mariska Hargitay, whose character on ER I so completely despised that I couldn't even with MH after that. Maybe not the actor's fault, but there it is.

(edited)

Man, Jeff's rant about Camryn Manheim was a thing of beauty. So much so I decided I needed to transcribe it.

On the female side, I’ll go with Camryn Manheim who’s always got a smug fucking look on her fucking face like, “I’m fucking nailing it as an actress right now. Watch me; watch my acting. I haven’t won that many acting awards, but every time my ear is pierced that’s a time I’ve given myself an acting award.”

Also hilarious: "I’ve separated mine into three categories: male, female, and Zach Braff."

Edited by smrou
  • Love 2

This was a really interesting topic. Camryn Manheim and Maura Tierney I was not expecting, although now that it's come up I can see how they might rub people the wrong way. Despite that, I personally remain neutral to positive on both of them.

I don't know if this counts as a dealbreaker since she's moved on to films, and I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, but I really could not stand Kristen Wiig on SNL. All of her characters grated on me in exactly the same way, even when the sketches were funny I couldn't watch them. Apart from Bridesmaids, I have actively avoided all of her films specifically because of her - and I really wanted to see the Skeleton Twins.

• Love 2