Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Wow! Is there a more effective way to make children think of pills as dangerous, serious, and "not candy" than turning them into puppets and having them sing a cheery song? I can't think of one!

Good luck, Wendy! You're going to need it!

• Love 1

I watched the Ann Richards documentary yesterday, and it was excellent!  Great recommendation. I really need to comb through HBO Go's Documentary section and make myself a list. 

So, so good, Sarah! As someone who was raised super religious and is now a non-believer, that really hit a sweet spot in terms of humor for me.

The one thing I would have expected someone to do is a take on the "Love is patient, love is kind..." verse.

The earliest time I noticed a show hiding a pregnant actress was Claire on the Cosby Show. I remember asking my mom why she was carrying so much stuff around, and why she looked big.  Then for a whole episode she was in bed and they cut a hole in the mattress apparently and sunk her down, and she looked like she was drowning in quicksand. Obviously they didn't want another Huxtable child, so that was the way to go, and it was hilarious, and not at all a problem with the show.  

There are certainly characters you just can't have be pregnant without ruining a show, so you work around it - like Kerry Washington on Scandal. And that was bad, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show - the storylines did that all on their own!

(edited)

A few ideas:

a) Sarah Polley could follow up on kids that appeared on David Letterman's shows. We could see who went on to be actors, see how many Kid Scientists are still in the field what they've been able to achieve, those bird-calling kids and if they became singers or ornithologists, and the seasonal door-ringing sketch kids, among others. (Like the one guy who "accidently" pushed someone down some stairs!)   [ Ms. Polley because she has been an actor and is a director as well.]  Neil Patrick Harris as the narrator could be very good.

Link to Tara's coverage of Dave's last show & pushy kid in question: http://previously.tv/the-late-show/farewell-late-nights-cranky-dad/

b)Ken Burns taking on The History of The Soap Opera. Breaking it down into Radio to TV, Early/Live 15 minute Soaps, Half Hours, The Boom, Couples, How Soap Became Mainstream or From Midmorning To Night, The Bust, How They Are Now, Long-runners ( programs and cast members) and Launchpad of Stars. Corbin Bernsen, Genie Francis, and Deidre Hall would be the narrators.

c)Kasi Lemmons taking a look at how big winners from old game shows fared, post-appearance(s) and how more modern winners are faring, sort of a look at how celebrity has changed/ been redefined. I would like it to be narrated by Frieda Pinto, Elizabeth Banks and Hector Elizondo.

edited 'cuz that kid was a trip! *g*

Edited by Actionmage
(edited)

Is "thanks bro!" the phrase that doesn't pay, or just a thing that Sarah says a lot? Hahaha

*edit: I should say the ULTIMATE! Phrase That Doesn't Pay.
RIP :-(

Edited by David Thomas
(edited)

I reluctantly agree with the assessment of that episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Without doing a re-watch, the episode that comes to mind as canon-worthy was S01.E16: The Party.  It would be that one because it was only episode 16 of the series, but it was full of interactions between the rich characters.

The highlight for me, and possibly the moment when I realized that I was going to be in for the long haul for this show, was when all of the characters realized that they brought the same $8 bottle of wine drink to Holt's party, and they were all pretty pleased with themselves.

Edited by JTMacc99

I'm not admitted to anything, but it's hypothetically possible that my first reaction to the impending retirement of TPTDP was: "Thank you, benevolent caretakers, for relieving me of my crippling obsession!" followed by grateful weeping.  

Officially, my position is: "awww, rats."

• Love 3

So apparently Dave Points have turned into Numberwang? Fuck. The Supreme Council of Daves is going to have to have a meeting to work this out. This wasn't part of our deal, Cole. THIS WASN'T PAAAARRRRRT!

With a title like "Brain, Fried" I was expecting you to talk about Hannibal!

Will Holston It could just as easily have been Lara Flynn Boyle's character from Las Vegas.

That was what I thought! We must share a taste for trashy TV!

Yeah, sorry, I know I sort of broke the short-lived rule there, but I figured next week is never happening so maybe I'd just jump in one with one more idea.

Especially after being under guess-embargo for more than a month.

So, Woooooooooooo! / *single beautiful tear*

If I had known I would never choose a new TPTDP again I miiiight not have picked "wirey Madonna arms" right off the top. Hahahahaha

Thanks for addressing my burning question. Clearly, I was scarred by my parents' TV choices as a child.

My choices would be Captain Mal Reynolds (fun, funny, badass and aims to misbehave) and Ivy from SMASH (gorgeous, talented, sings and dances, great with a quip) and only a spaceship can get her far enough away from the rest of her show.

• Love 1

The Captain Hawkeye Pierce and Linda Belcher Old-Time Vaudeville Fun Hour.

Hawkeye brings the terrible Groucho impression, and Linda sings. Later, Hawkeye makes it serious when he delivers a monologue about how war is bad. Then there's a sketch with guest stars Paul Lynde and Chris Pratt.

• Love 5