Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Honored guest Jeff Drake helps the regular EHG gang bid farewell to 2013 with a discussion of two melodramatic third-season shows, Homeland and Scandal. We shared a listener's Tiny Triumph; breathed fire at Jeff's case for a Game Of Thrones Canon submission; and declared a winner and loser, before kicking off a brand-new season of Game Time with a super-fun crossover quiz.

I've always been intrigued by the mess hall on Star Trek : The Next Generation because you could get an incredibly mediocre version of anything in the world made out of (what I assume is) some sort of recycled waste. YUM!

• Love 1

<Pushes glasses up on nose>That might have been the case on The Original Series, but in Next Generation they had replicators which work like a transporter; the atoms of the base material are rearranged precisely to create an exact replica of the original, so presumably the standard patterns for food are expertly done versions of whatever the dish may be, and if it 's made of recycled waste, it was broken down into it's component atoms before reassembly and retains no characteristics thereof.

Me, I want one of Isaac the Bartender's Pina Coladas.

• Love 1

I second Sarah's entry on this - I am always on the lookout for good Irish-y pub style restaurants. My other pick would have been Merlotte's from TRUE BLOOD because: deep fried everything. Apparently people only show up for work whenever they damn well please, but still: deep fried everything.

• Love 1

This was a great topic. My picks: 

Two gay dads: Dr. Quest and Race Bannon (from "Jonny Quest") Because... that's what they were.

Kids:

1. Lisa Simpson. She would be a total Daddy's girl with Dr. Quest, helping him out in the lab and whatnot.
  2. Wakko from Animaniacs. He'd keep things lively, and could get Lisa to relax when she's too uptight, without Bart's more jerk-ish tendencies.
  3. Lilo of Lilo & Stitch (they had a TV series adapted from the movie.) She'd be the baby of the family, getting into scrapes, which would allow Lisa to be the competent big sister. Wakko & Lilo would be unstoppable.
  • Love 1

@nymusix: since I had already mentioned Bob's Burgers in the previous two Minis, I thought I shouldn't bring it up again, particularly since our guest Jeff's wife Wendy is an Emmy-nominated writer on said show.

Yeah, I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned mostly because it had come up in the prior two Minis. Glad that it warranted consideration! 

(And I was not aware of that second fact, but it's pretty awesome!)

Best way to start 2014! It's back!

But in my over-enthusiasm, I forgot how to create links, apparently. This is the mini.

Edited by David T. Cole
Removed bad link.

Mine didn't either, (and I haven't listened to it) but according to the RSS of EHG the mini from before Christmas was number 53 and number 45 in the RSS isn't labled Cumberbatch so now I'm super confused.

Maybe my favourite mini ever.

K-9 got an actual TV series a few years ago, but it looked terrible in less interesting ways:

Here's the original 80s pilot:

The opening credits are exactly as Dave said, with Sarah-Jane and the dog never shown onscreen together. I especially like how they reuse the same shots several times in just that one minute.

• Love 1

B E N D E R! Benn-der. B E N D E R! Bennnn-der. Give me a "B," give me an "E," give me an "Nnnnnnnnn" *boop*

Some of the Bender heavy episodes can be a bit much, but for the majority of the Futurama series Bender has been there for awesome one-liners and drop ins.

If only for the fact that he gives Dr. Zoidberg an excuse to say "Robet"

This Game Time almost had me causing car accidents - the 80s theme songs was right up my alley, and I was so proud a few times to know an answer that the panel missed. I am thinking I need to print up a certificate to hang up at work.

I shared with my brother, if only because I think he and Adam shared a brain when it came to shows in their wheelhouse. I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from him...

Dave Bunting Jr. rejoins us for a discussion of House Of Cards's second season -- and his sister's headlong dash through 26 eps in four days. We determined whether Dave C. would hate upcoming BBC Robin Hood project Nottingham, went around the dial with Archer and music-biz TV, considered a NewsRadio for the Canon, and died laughing during a killer Game Time. Did the EHG shareholders take a crunchy beating? Who farted on Bob Costas's pillow? All is revealed on this week's Extra Hot Great, and that's no bluff.

Loved the "meeting" at the beginning of the episode- it reminded me of the "press conference" about hurt feelings over a TV forcening from a while ago (also, thank you for the rule- I thought it was just me who noticed). :D

I enjoyed the House of Cards discussion a lot; I agree with Sarah that there isn't much tension in knowing that he will win every time, but I actually find a lot of tension (and enjoyment) in watching how he'll win and at what cost (to him, Claire and to unfortunate others).

I hadn't really been phased by the 

Meechum scene in the eleventh (I think it was) episode

until Sarah mentioned that there were cameras all over the house (I had totally forgotten, for some reason), and now I'm having trouble fan-wanking the fact that someone must have seen it... maybe it's live-only un-recorded and... no one was paying attention...? Yeah, I can't un-think that now...

My all-time favourite mini! :D While my fave originally was Egbert Bandersnatch, I find that lately I've been calling him Steampunk Mother-Hen and Kensington Mark-My-Words...

Joe and Tara laughing in the background just kill me.

I am so glad I listened to this at home instead of work so that no one heard me yell "YES!" after Dave said "Mackenzie-Chown" and about three times after the reference to North of 60. I literally remember an episode in which someone's foot froze. Like, solid. I want to say that Teevee did something stupid (because he seemed to do that a lot) and got stuck out in a blizzard with someone else and it was the other dude's foot that froze...? Regardless, it was effing cold out and I felt cold watching it. I really liked that show, but frozen foot = too cold.

I'd toss in Game of Thrones, which I don't watch normally but did watch the first season of, when it came out; it wasn't really the outdoors bits that made me feel cold, it was the inside bits, whenever they were at Winterfell. Being inside the castle almost looked like it was colder than being outside.

Not sure if it really qualifies, but there's an episode of MST3K where they mock a movie called The Final Sacrifice (it's hilarious) which always makes me feel cold... pretty sure it's YouTube-able, if you haven't seen it, but it doesn't take long to see why. It's not always snowy, but the grass and trees look like the frost long ago carted off any warmth...

Non-TV side note, I was only at Brock for a year, but I remember the Mack-Chow complex more than any other- and not just because it had a weird name (not that one could judge, with the Earp and newly-built Lowenberger residences nearby), but because I was a) always getting lost in it, b) always feeling too hot or cold in it (there were a few times where it became so warm and dry in the winter that it was a 'Wear moisturizer or learn to live with burning dry skin' situation- the rest of the time, it was a freezer), and c) had that one courtyard that I could never find unless I was already lost (Brock's own Davy Jones' Locker). I am SO sharing this mini on Facebook. :D

Ha ha, M-C has to be some sort of human behavior experiment, I'm so happy someone got something out of that tangent.

GoT is a good choice and you're right on when you says it's the scenes inside where they are fighting the cold that seem the coldest.