Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E07: There’s Always a Twist

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

He mentioned in a confessional in the first episode that he didn't want set a bad example for his students, but that he thought the understood the difference between the game of Survivor and the real world.   He seems to have made the decision to separate the game from real life and not try to uphold his real world standards in the game.   

I don't think he has done anything extreme in the game that goes beyond typical "Survivor ethics".  Probably the worst thing he did was tell Julia to go through Joe's stuff, while he kept Joe occupied.   

That’s a prime example of what I’m unimpressed about.   I think their bags should be off limits to look thru.  

Besides that- I just find him generally not someone that seems like able at all. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

That’s a prime example of what I’m unimpressed about.   I think their bags should be off limits to look thru.  

Besides that- I just find him generally not someone that seems like able at all. 

I don't like bag searches either.  But, I guess I have accepted the fact that they are allowed and have become part of the game.   

Ron seems like a fun guy.  I think it could come down to whether one thinks he is phony or genuine.  I kind of like him and it seems like his tribemates like him a lot.  

4 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Ron seems like a fun guy.  I think it could come down to whether one thinks he is phony or genuine.  I kind of like him and it seems like his tribemates like him a lot.  

Joe apparently liked Ron well enough - right up to Ron shanking the hell outta Joe’s game.  😄

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Also, the note that came with the idol said the idol was a "bargaining chip." Rick can only bargain with it if it has some value to person he gives it to. If the rule is that the other person keeps it when it's worthless but has to give it back to Rick once it becomes an active idol, then there's nothing in it for them. It's only worth something if the other person can keep their half and has some control over how the idol is used or if they can prevent Rick from using it later.

Or if the bargain is that Rick gives them his half if he makes it through the TC.  

2 hours ago, zscore said:

With F3 it's always possible to have a tie (6-6-1 or 5-5-3).

You are absolutely right.  My only defense is that this is proof as to why I was an English major, not a math major.  LOL.

Thanks!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 3/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, eel2178 said:

So now everyone will still know who is on the other island based on who shows up in the jury at tribal council?

As I understand it, they won't know anything until they themselves go to the island and realise the 'jury' is still in it with a chance to win it. As far as the mainlanders know, the jury are out of the game. Like the exilers at the challenge, they assumed this was a one-off ticket back in. But the stallwarts on exile will get another chance to get back in on day 35.

4 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I did find it hilarious in this episode that the remaining players were referring to the 'edge of extinction' so perfectly in their confessionals. They literally found out about it that day and nobody was accidentally calling it 'extinction island' or referring to outcasts or redemption. It was all very on-brand. They must have done so many takes.

How could they not know?  It is written right on their buffs.

• LOL 3
10 minutes ago, violet and green said:

As I understand it, they won't know anything until they themselves go to the island and realise the 'jury' is still in it with a chance to win it. As far as the mainlanders know, the jury are out of the game. Like the exilers at the challenge, they assumed this was a one-off ticket back in. But the stallwarts on exile will get another chance to get back in on day 35.

Jeff told them that EoE was in play after Rick won in. Jeff said to the merge tribe that it starts over. They probably figured out that Chris, Reem and Aubry are still in the game because they are on the jury. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I just realized with Edge of Extinction Island and this early jury there isn't any Ponderosa or pre jury trip.......I guess.....maybe. I know all of the previous season the pre jury became closer (whether they like it or not) due to the pre jury trips. I wonder if Keith & Wendy (and, whoever else quits) just are stuck at Ponderosa until the game ends/ended?!

According to someone over on reddit, Keith and Wendy went to Australia after they left the game.  I am wondering if after the final challenge to get back in the game which I assume will be either F6 or F7 if the losers get to go to Ponderosa for the remaining 3-4 days left in the game.

Edited by LanceM
6 minutes ago, green said:

How could they not know?  It is written right on their buffs.

Oh, I don't mean that they wouldn't know the expression, but they new exactly how to use it in perfect sentences, right away. A couple of them seemed very rehearsed to me. 

27 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Jeff told them that EoE was in play after Rick won in. Jeff said to the merge tribe that it starts over. They probably figured out that Chris, Reem and Aubry are still in the game because they are on the jury.

No, he said it starts over and all voted out will now go there. But he had to spell it out to Reem and co that they were still in it - so it is quite possible the others will also assume from his wording that this is a new EoE starting, and the 'jury' is just the jury. Eh. That's how I see it.

6 minutes ago, violet and green said:

No, he said it starts over and all voted out will now go there. But he had to spell it out to Reem and co that they were still in it - so it is quite possible the others will also assume from his wording that this is a new EoE starting, and the 'jury' is just the jury. Eh. That's how I see it.

So if the merge vote outs go to EoE, ie the Jury, and you see three pre-merge boots sitting in the Jury booth what would you think?

Why would three people voted off before the merge be on the Jury unless they were still at EoE? We know that Jeff didn’t tell the EoE follks that they were going to be the Jury right off the bat, Keith and Wendy quot not knowing they would be on the jury. So why would only three of the premerge vote outs be on the Jury and the other two were not? 

I am not sure that it was spelled out for folks but I suspect that it is pretty obvious. 

I don't think it's obvious because it means that a player can come off the jury and be back in contention, which is so far from anything we've ever seen before that I'm still confused by how it all works.

Edited by Al Herkimer
  • Love 2

I'm having a hard time getting through this episode. So I missed a part- are these people on EOE on the jury? 

If so I think I'm bailing on the season. I like votees to be gone.  I was waiting for the EOE challenge so the losers would disappear. Someone like Reem, the person first  voted out, does not seserve to be on the jury.

Also the season is just not interesting.

The whole fucking point of survivor is voting people out and they GO AWAY. Sometimes it breaks your heart, sometimes it's awesome, but it's always final.

Wake me up when the next season starts.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, cleo said:

I'm having a hard time getting through this episode. So I missed a part- are these people on EOE on the jury? 

If so I think I'm bailing on the season. I like votees to be gone.  I was waiting for the EOE challenge so the losers would disappear. Someone like Reem, the person first  voted out, does not seserve to be on the jury.

Also the season is just not interesting.

The whole fucking point of survivor is voting people out and they GO AWAY. Sometimes it breaks your heart, sometimes it's awesome, but it's always final.

Wake me up when the next season starts.

Yes, those who chose to go back to EOE and stick it out (Chris, Aubry, Reem) and any future vote outs will now be considered the jury.  I'm assuming that even if Chris, Aubry, or Reem don't last until the next returning challenge, they are still part of the jury despite being a pre-jury boot. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, cleo said:

Also all this time I thought Malcolm and Joe were the same person lol.

Only aesthetically. Malcolm actually has a personality and the ability to play Survivor. 

• Love 9
On 3/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, mythoughtis said:

I’m having a hard time accepting the fact that this Ron is the subject of a TV movie - the Ron Clark Story.  Now, first, I will admit that I’ve never watched that movie. However, I thought the movie was about how he turned a school around and made it an excellent school and that a lot of the underprivileged students go on to college. This Ron doesn’t seem to be anywhere near that idealistic of a person. 

Holy shit.  I really haven't been paying attention.  It's only now that I'm reading this and taking it in for real.  LOL!  Thanks for this information.  

23 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Yes, those who chose to go back to EOE and stick it out (Chris, Aubry, Reem) and any future vote outs will now be considered the jury.  I'm assuming that even if Chris, Aubry, or Reem don't last until the next returning challenge, they are still part of the jury despite being a pre-jury boot. 

I'm not that bothered about the jury.  At least we'll have less of 'I'm a winner I made the jury!" stuff.  Also people can't treat early boots like trash anymore if they have a say.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, Al Herkimer said:

I don't think it's obvious because it means that a player can come off the jury and be back in contention, witch is so far from anything we've ever seen before that I'm still confused by how it all works.

I'm also wondering, if one of the people who is currently in extinction and on the jury decides to leave the game, does he still stay on the jury?

On 3/29/2019 at 11:31 PM, MissEwa said:

Only aesthetically. Malcolm actually has a personality and the ability to play Survivor. 

Is Malcolm really that much better at playing Survivor?  He finished 4th, 9th and 17th, in his 3 appearances.   

On 3/31/2019 at 4:08 PM, eel2178 said:

I'm also wondering, if one of the people who is currently in extinction and on the jury decides to leave the game, does he still stay on the jury?

I would think anyone who quits would not stay on the jury, just like Wendy and Keith, but who knows?  

• Love 1
(edited)

It is a weird situation.  I would think that if you raise the sail and quit EI, you'd still have to be on the jury.   I mean, hypothetically, what if the final group of vote-outs all decided that EI was too difficult and they wanted to quit...would there be no jury? 

Edited by Rachel RSL
You raise a sail, not a mast.
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

It is a weird situation.  I would think that if you raise the sail and quit EI, you'd still have to be on the jury.   I mean, hypothetically, what if the final group of vote-outs all decided that EI was too difficult and they wanted to quit...would there be no jury? 

Seems like maybe they didn't think it through.  Unless they eliminate EoE at some point and from that point on, everyone who is eliminated goes straight to Ponderosa and be part of the jury, regardless of previous quitters.  So I guess Aubrey, Chris, Reem -- anyone from the original EoE who is left on the jury (ie, has not raised the saile or made it back into the game), would go to Ponderosa as well?

Edited by Special K
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Mathematically possible but not realistically probable - if for no other reason than I’d be pretty certain Juror pay would be a good bit more incentivized than “quitter” pay.  And now that the Jury is in active play, I expect Production has already briefed the Jurors on this particular aspect.

Besides, after the last buyback opportunity at (F6? F4? whenever) has concluded I expect EoE will become “extinct” and the Jury moved to Ponderosa.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Is Malcolm really that much better at playing Survivor?  He finished 4th, 9th and 17th, in his 3 appearances.   

It's more for his thread, wherever it is, but I think so. He was so close to winning Phillipines - in the modern, fire-at-4 era, he would have won handily - and JT torpedoed his game in Game Changers. In any case, I give him points for actually caring about all sides of the game and TRYING to play, as opposed to Joe's just-win-immunity "strategy". Plus he's just so much more interesting (which has nothing to do with Survivor gameplay but as a viewer is important to me). 

2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I feel like I read somewhere before this mess started that everyone who is in the game - properly or on EoE - at the merge is on the Jury. But technically Wendy and Keith were on EoE at the moment the merge happened, and they're not, so who knows?

1 hour ago, himela said:

When the people watching the show have so many questions about it, you realize you have gone too far with the twists.

Yep. And if Jeff is clarifying in interviews he's not doing a very good job. I swear we've been told that idols are still in play if you get voted out with them and then come back, AND that Aubrey's isn't. Honestly, for me it makes it hard to care, because it feels like it's all being decided on the fly. 

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Nashville said:

Mathematically possible but not realistically probable - if for no other reason than I’d be pretty certain Juror pay would be a good bit more incentivized than “quitter” pay.  And now that the Jury is in active play, I expect Production has already briefed the Jurors on this particular aspect.

Besides, after the last buyback opportunity at (F6? F4? whenever) has concluded I expect EoE will become “extinct” and the Jury moved to Ponderosa.

Well, yes, I highly doubt everybody will quit EI but, higher pay or not, that really doesn't answer the question at hand.  If you quit EI, are you still on the jury?  

• Love 2
(edited)

I miss the Ponderosa videos and the weigh in with Dr. Joe. I'm sure a lot of the people who thought they would be voted pre jury would go on a trip or stay at Ponderosa. If you made the jury you got to eat, shower and do whatever you wanted. Now, they are stuck on EI to almost the end of the game. No free vacation. LOL!!

Edited by ByaNose
3 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Well, yes, I highly doubt everybody will quit EI but, higher pay or not, that really doesn't answer the question at hand.  If you quit EI, are you still on the jury?  

Apparently not, else we’d have seen Keith and Wendy in the Jury box.  

At a guess I’d say quitters go to Ponderosa and pig out until it’s time for the Jurors to relocate from EoE to Ponderosa (after their last opportunity to re-enter the game has been exhausted), at which point the quitters leave Ponderosa and start their out-of-the-game Asian grand vacation tour.

So does that mean EI is officially over when we get down to 12 players? (9 on the jury and 3 finalists)  So everybody, except the person who wins their way back in, is out of the game and the remaining 12 players will comprise the jury/finalists? Because, if not, I don't see how this will work.  Unless there are going to be more people on the jury than usual.

(edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 4:09 PM, JudyObscure said:

This is all so true. Just when I was starting to admire her grit,  now I hate her again.

Oops. Seems to correct correction. Very sorry.

Edited by MisterBluxom
28 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

So does that mean EI is officially over when we get down to 12 players? (9 on the jury and 3 finalists)  So everybody, except the person who wins their way back in, is out of the game and the remaining 12 players will comprise the jury/finalists? Because, if not, I don't see how this will work.  Unless there are going to be more people on the jury than usual.

I think they're are going to be more people on the jury. Unless, they quit EI if they don't win their way back in.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Apparently not, else we’d have seen Keith and Wendy in the Jury box.  

At a guess I’d say quitters go to Ponderosa and pig out until it’s time for the Jurors to relocate from EoE to Ponderosa (after their last opportunity to re-enter the game has been exhausted), at which point the quitters leave Ponderosa and start their out-of-the-game Asian grand vacation tour.

I read somewhere (here?) that the quitters were seen in Australia.  They can't go home until everyone else does, but once they've quit, they shouldn't have any interaction with the real jury.  

Isn't it funny/weird how far we are into the season, and people are still trying to figure out how it's actually being played? Or should we just watch and see how it unfolds?

Nah, by now, during Exemption Island or Ghost Island or whatever Returnee Island, we at least knew exactly what was going on.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mikewho said:

Isn't it funny/weird how far we are into the season, and people are still trying to figure out how it's actually being played?

On 4/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, himela said:

When the people watching the show have so many questions about it, you realize you have gone too far with the twists.

I just re-watched it and I'm still confused  🙂

We must go on.......

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/3/2019 at 2:23 PM, AZChristian said:

I read somewhere (here?) that the quitters were seen in Australia.  They can't go home until everyone else does, but once they've quit, they shouldn't have any interaction with the real jury.  

Game-timeline-wise I’d expect that right now Keith and Wendy are cooling their heels at Ponderosa, but will be pulled out and sent on their Asian vacation before the Jury’s arrival.  No contact.

• Love 1