Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Ferris Wheels and Pinwheels

11 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I still like the show.

I will watch it and keep my negative comments to a minimum.  I am aiming to find the positive in everything I can in my life, not only TV. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Bucket said:

I am aiming to find the positive in everything I can in my life, not only TV. 

The positive being that Hildi is nowhere near your home? 🙂

Just teasing, I enjoy the show but would never volunteer to be on the show unless I was letting them mess with a room I was planning on demoing/remodeling anyway. I'm sure the experience is fun enough, kinda like camp. 

I liked the sunburst wall treatment. Not sure why they kept trying to push that it was a ferris wheel. 

Hildi's colorstrophy wouldn't be too hard to reverse except for the floor. Those tiles will be a pain to remove. I couldn't tell what they were being installed on top of and if they ruined it.

That couple that worked that room were so dang nice. I really felt bad for them especially after their reveal and they realized that they didn't make anything nearly as nice for their friends.

I feel like these people aren't taking advantage of the Wayfair tent. There are a lot more valuable items like accent chairs or nice lamps and they go for a tiny succulent? Such a waste of a free item.

• Love 9

I am so over Hildi (and Doug). I know that it's a crap shoot to be on the show, but still, I think that the homeowners deserve a little bit more respect from certain designers. It also annoys me that TLC is OK with disappointing homeowners and possibly costing them a lot of money to redo a room that a TS designer f-ed up, simply for the sake of grabbing ratings.  I know that the reboot hasn't flourished probably the way that the network had hoped, but c'mon! There are so many designers out there that I am sure that TLC could grab any of them to replace Hildi (and maybe Doug). I tune in to see good budget-friendly design ideas, not angst over who the designer might be. I get that the anticipation is part of the fun, but it isn't entertaining to watch homeowners spend the entire weekend recoiling in possible fear over who might have been turned loose in their house.

I have been watching "The Great Interior Design Challenge" (U.K) on Netflix. Most of the amateur designers on that show has demonstrated about 1000X more talent than most of the TS designers put together and the U.K. designers are also working with a similar limited budget and timeframe (OK, maybe they get three days ... but still ... )

The reboot should be renamed, "Please, Not Hildi!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Hildi is a TLC punchline and everyone knows it, including Hildi.  It's all just for shock value and getting people to watch/hate-watch for ratings.  If this wasn't a TV show, I highly doubt Hildi would ever put peel 'n stick vinyl flooring squares in ANY room, especially a bedroom.  I find those tiles very "institutional", no matter how cheery the color. That is not a vibe I'd want in my home...not even in a basement "playroom".  The actual colors she picked for the room were pretty, but looked like ice cream to me.  Not a good look for a master BR.  Maybe a little girl's space.  Also hated the single color quadrant idea; namely painting a fraction of the one blind to coordinate with its 2 quadrants.  A bedroom should feel cozy, soothing, comfy, not cold, stark and cuckoo.  That said, if people sign up for this show, they gotta know they are rolling the dice...there's a good chance they either get Hildi in their house, or they will be stuck working with her.  

Laurie's room...blah.  Not horrible, but not knock my socks off either.  The soothing blue-gray paint was very nice (take a hint, Hildi).  The Ferris Wheel spoke inspired headboard was OK, but I would have used a darker tone of the blue-gray to make it pop a bit more, maybe on the vertical edges to give a shadow/enhance the 3D effect. 

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 6

Watching this and While You Were Out back to back, I like While You Were Out better. They actually do nicer rooms, and there is a lot less drama, except that almost every one of them want to come back hours early. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I feel like these people aren't taking advantage of the Wayfair tent. There are a lot more valuable items like accent chairs or nice lamps and they go for a tiny succulent? Such a waste of a free item.

I agree.  And, while the designer has to use it in the room, the homeowner doesn't have to keep it there after the reveal -- even if they don't see anything they think would look good in the room being done, they should just pick out something valuable they know their friends would use in another room. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Yeah, I like it too. It's no more tiresome than the endlessly repetitive concept of Love It or List It, or House Hunters, or Fixer Upper. They all do the same thing over and over. 

In fact, TS is much more unpredictable. Different designers and styles each week. I have no sympathy for homeowners who get a room they hate, that's the chance you take. No one is forcing them to sign up for the show. They want their free makeover and 15 minutes? There's a price. I view it more as a game show than a home design show.

Too bad they only repeat it the following week, so stupid. Lots of people actually do stuff on Saturday night. HBO repeats their popular shows half a dozen times in the week following the initial airing; TLC could learn something from them.

• Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

I have been watching "The Great Interior Design Challenge" (U.K) on Netflix. Most of the amateur designers on that show has demonstrated about 1000X more talent than most of the TS designers put together...

I love that show!  I wish Netflix would add more episodes.  It gives me warm fuzzies like The Great British Bake Off.  Some of the DIY is a little clunky, but I don't mind.  My favorite thing is the emphasis on history, society and architecture - love the historical settings for each of the challenges, from medieval to modernist.  Beach huts, Thames houseboats, oast houses, Bath crescents, villages, worker's communities. I have been looking up each place to learn more about it.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I love their attitude, and think their analysis of Hildi is probably pretty accurate.  I also laughed that their kids loved the room, because, indeed, it would have been a cool design for a kids' playroom.  I'd love to see a picture of the room now that they've repainted and put down hardwood floors, but kept some of the furniture.  I wonder if they kept Hildi's artwork, because that looked really nice on the colored walls, but would look different with the taupe background.

• Love 3

You know, I've been watching old episodes (like REALLY old -Seasons 2 and 3) that I DVRed as part of the marathon before the new season started and they've shown a couple of Hildi's rooms from early on that I really liked*. It seems clear to me that at some point, she decided she wanted to play the role of the wildcard.

*Specifically: there was a show in Rhode Island where the families lived on two floors of the same house - she replaced the drop ceiling tiles with wood and made a very cute kids' table; and the show in California where she based the room off the couple's new dining room set and used a lot of wood planks on the walls.

So I've seen the ep now and I didn't think Hildi's room was terrible at all. Easy to change by repainting, but I thought it was kind of fun.

Don't offer up a perfectly good grey and white room and say, "It's too bland, we want colour!" and not expect to get it. I mean, really.

No need to go on tv for a redo and $2000 here. Any idiot could have taken the before room and spent $500 on some colourful art and pillows, a nice throw, and a couple colourful tzchotchkes. 

• Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 9:03 PM, ams1001 said:
  • "We won't touch the doors" does not mean "I just won't paint them this color.

What I heard from that is that the original design called for the green to bisect the door, making it two colors. Hildi's compromise was to move the grey over so the door would be one color. I never expected the door to stay white, and it looked much better blended in the grey.

I do wonder if the couch was also intended to be bisected because it crosses a color line but doesn't switch... or maybe moving the lines messed with the plan.

For a hildi room, I didn't hate it. Would have been better as a living room or bonus room. Laurie's room was nice but boring. No way that artwork behind the bed had any resemblance to a ferris wheel- it was a sunburst. Not very inspired by the fair at all.

Thanks for the link above with homeowner interview... nice to know that Hildi isn't evil! And the homeowners knew what they got into and were cool with it.