Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
aquarian1

S17.E03: All the Rage

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

When they were having the up close and personals with the designs, didn't one of the judges comment on the basic level of sewing skill in Hester's design?

Yes.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

 Kovid's design was runner up. It was bold street wear, and was very fashion forward. He's a lot of personality,  but he's genuine, and so far I get a kick out of him.

There's nothing genuine about the hairline he's presenting.  That is one ambitious comb-over. 

In a similar vein, I like Christian so much more now than when he was a contestant, but his glasses low on his nose drive me insane.  As much as Hester bugs, at least she can hold her head at a natural angle and look through her glasses (but that's assuming she actually needs them, now that @sempervivum has planted the seed of doubt).

Come to think of it, Tim Gunn had the same low glasses thing going on as Christian does.  I can't stand to wear bifocals because I have to tilt my head a certain way to use them; I can't imagine doing that to see the world around me.  Plus it makes you literally look down your nose at people. 

.

2 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I would like it if they would switch off every other week. One week lean models, one week curvy, for everyone. Then see where the chips fall.

I would, too, but then you're treating the models differently based on their size, and that makes you a bad person.  Even though clothes present better on tall skinny models. 

I'll just remain flummoxed by what to do about this issue.

.

10 minutes ago, Captain Asshat said:

I had both of these thoughts as well. In the past, I've always hated how some of the designers, and even the judges, treated the models like hangers. 

I remember noticing that Heidi sometimes talked to the models like they were people, and I liked her for it.

.

12 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

Adam Selman shouldn't comment on something looking dated with that mustache. If that can make a comeback (which I hate), he can't say other things aren't allowed to come back.

I laughed out loud when the word "dated" came out of the mouth obscured by that mustache.  Because, seriously??  As far as I can tell, it hasn't made a comeback, and even Freddie Mercury looked ridiculous in that mustache when it was current.  

.

Quote

Five minutes into class, she raised her hand and said, "What's that squiggly thing?" The teacher said, "That's the derivative sign. We talked about it last week when you were gone. If you need help catching up on what you missed, you need to come to office hours." 

I'm thinking integral sign (the S-looking one), not derivative, but I'm about as well versed in calculus as I am in fashion.  (Now, hairlines and glasses placement and mustaches and other vital matters?  I'm very confident in my knowledge and opinion on those.)

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I disliked Garo's and I didn't like him much either. Lots of his stripes weren't lined up perfectly, the zipper was all bumpy, and the "here's my vagina!" moment was tacky. He thinks pretty highly of himself but I'm not seeing it.

I'm not either, at least not yet.  When he was talking to one of the other designers about how he felt like the most pressure was on him because he was from New York and had achieved business success at such a young age?  Please.  Just put your head down and do a good job (like Sebastien does), and quit trying to get into a contest over who has the most to lose.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When you wake up in the morning and there are no forks to eat breakfast because everyone just left their dirty dishes in the kitchen, that really sucks. If I were Nadine, I would not have kept doing everyone else's dishes. I would have washed my bowl, my plate, my fork, my spoon, and my cup and then put them in my bedroom so I had something to eat my breakfast with the next day. Petty? Maybe. But I'm not here to be your fucking maid.

This is exactly what I'd do as well.  Why drive yourself crazy over other people's behavior?

3 hours ago, terrymct said:

Hester reminds me of a first year art or drama student more than anything else, trying so hard to be edgy or interesting.  She's as if a large part of Etsy came to life.

Awww, that's unfair!  I sell on Etsy (not clothes or accessories) and am constantly blown away and humbled by the tremendous artists and artisans who sell there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tessa's design looked like her model wrapped an Ikea rug around herself and called it a day.

WTF was that?  It was horrible, and I thought it should have been in the bottom.  Did she say at one point that she needed to create a print from her print? 

The accessories stylist was a hot mess, as far as I was concerned.  I don't know if she gave the designers good advice or not, but I could not take her seriously with that topknot and the clothes she was wearing.  Ragbag was all I could see.

Sebastian should have won.  I hope this exposure on PR gets him a well-paying gig so he can continue to create beautifully designed clothes.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

Did she say at one point that she needed to create a print from her print? 

I think she got that instruction from the stylist, but I'm not sure that's really what the stylist meant. I think the stylist just meant that by the way it was folded or draped or seamed, it would look different ways.

And it is NOT A GAS MASK. This is a gas mask:

gasmask.jpg

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 9
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Awww, that's unfair!  I sell on Etsy (not clothes or accessories) and am constantly blown away and humbled by the tremendous artists and artisans who sell there.

I'm often blown away, too, but you can also see a whole bunch of repetition where someone had a neat idea then all of a sudden dozens of people are selling the same quirky or shabby chic idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, terrymct said:

I'm often blown away, too, but you can also see a whole bunch of repetition where someone had a neat idea then all of a sudden dozens of people are selling the same quirky or shabby chic idea.

Shabby chic. Ugh.

Edited by carrps
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

How can Rihanna's "go to guy" look like a dorky high school track coach? 

So they didn't say it's a "blind runway" right? I noticed that the "judge-with-glasses" (I'm bad with names) said "He can make a damn garment" or something like that when Sebastian's model walked. He apparently (at least) knew it was a male designer.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Let me get this straight... Rakan's fabric & design was based on a dress his grandmother would wear?  ...In whose world should that ever be inspiration for how to dress a modern woman?

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, izabella said:

The accessories stylist was a hot mess, as far as I was concerned.  I don't know if she gave the designers good advice or not, but I could not take her seriously with that topknot and the clothes she was wearing.  Ragbag was all I could see.

Yes, I couldn't take her seriously either.  She wasn't dressed as Mario or Luigi like Hester, but her finished look wasn't much better.

43 minutes ago, terrymct said:

I'm often blown away, too, but you can also see a whole bunch of repetition where someone had a neat idea then all of a sudden dozens of people are selling the same quirky or shabby chic idea.

Unfortunately that's true, but it's an open site and the only way around it is for people not to reward knockoff sellers.  I feel the most for silversmiths, stationery designers and photographers.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I haven't gone back to the other episodes yet, but I counted 6 different pairs of glasses on 'Hester' (did she legally change her name? Cuz that can't be real). The only one I could see actual glass in was the round red ones with yellow lenses. 

What's wrong with Hester? I think its a lovely name-it was on my short list when I was pregnant. (I had a boy though). Except I'm from the Boston area, so it would be more like "Hesta". Also why I ditched "Trevor" for a boy, when a friend said "Oh TREVA! That's nice!" Um, no. 

Single vision glasses are insanely cheap these days if you buy them online. I wear progressives, so mine cost about $60-80 a pair, and I always have 2 or 3 pairs in rotation since they're so cheap. (the last pair of glasses I bought at a brick and mortar optical shop, even with a substantial discount, were $400). And I can get single visions for my son for $20. Glasses can be a fashion accessory now without breaking the bank. 

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

It sounded from her comments, though, that she had issues in design school.  They seemed to be pushing her to expand her horizons a bit, but she wanted to stick with what she knows.

That may very well be! Its pretty obvious that she's still really hurt about her experiences at Parsons. (and seriously, she needs to put that in the past. Its over and done. Move on!). We'll probably never know what really happened. I'm just spitballing. Time will tell if she's got what it takes.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

What's wrong with Hester? I think its a lovely name-it was on my short list when I was pregnant. (I had a boy though). Except I'm from the Boston area, so it would be more like "Hesta". Also why I ditched "Trevor" for a boy, when a friend said "Oh TREVA! That's nice!" Um, no. 

Heh. Also grew up in the Boston area (the South Shore), so I entirely understand the accent. Somehow I didn't end up with a full Mass accent, but my Uncle Roger (Uncle Rodja) for sure had one. Sometimes I love hearing the accent for nostalgia reasons. Also miss some of the localized vocabulary, like the word "zoo" used as a verb. It's entirely useful, but moreso up there than here, since "getting zooed" is more of a northern thing. (It means someone got you good with a joke or set up a situation where the joke was on you and you fell for it, so you got "zooed".) My dad still uses the word 30+ years since I left my hometown, so it's still in the local lexicon.

And I may be wrong about what @sempervivum was meaning - and apologize if so - but I think he/she wasn't referring to the Hester part of the name, (even though that was in quotes), but the "Sunshine" part of it? That would be the part of the name that I would think was made up.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

During styling:

Stylist decides a fanny pack would be great. Moves it around various places on model (like, as a shoulder strap). Nope. stylist doesn't like that. Then, eureka! 

Stylist: Let's use it as a belt!

Me: Oh, so wear it as a fanny pack? 

I thought the same thing, but I've seen a lot of photos of people wearing fanny packs as a cross body bag, the way the stylist first demonstrated.  It seems awkward to me, because the pack/bag sort of sticks out of the chest area, rather than resting at the waist.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I thought the same thing, but I've seen a lot of photos of people wearing fanny packs as a cross body bag, the way the stylist first demonstrated.  It seems awkward to me, because the pack/bag sort of sticks out of the chest area, rather than resting at the waist.

Oh, I like the alternative ways people have been wearing fanny packs. I just cracked up when she said, "Use it as a belt" as if "around the waist" is a really new way to wear a fanny pack. 

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

And I may be wrong about what @sempervivum was meaning - and apologize if so - but I think he/she wasn't referring to the Hester part of the name, (even though that was in quotes), but the "Sunshine" part of it? That would be the part of the name that I would think was made up.

Sonnenschein is a German surname, so it could be real. Just translated into English.

Also, my BiL is from Maine, but spent most of his teens and early 20s in Boston. Although his accent has faded over the years, I still enjoy hearing it come out.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Julia67 said:

Kovid makes me crazy.  The "lilt" of his voice is so grading.

What's with Christian and Marni (?) giving so much direction in the work room??  Has that every happened before.

Hester's outfit was "meh".  Definitely reminded me of a tablecloth.  And she is beyond annoying--almost as annoying as Tessa.

Finally figured out who Hester reminds me of though.

loonette.png

I don't remember the name, but my son (now 27) watched it when he was little!  She would do a "10-second tidy" segment and I tried using that with my kids.  She also had cute little  dust bunnies that lived under her couch or bed.  lol. Memories ...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

What's wrong with Hester? I think its a lovely name-it was on my short list when I was pregnant.

I love the name Hester. However, it brings to (my) mind the character named Hester in John Irving's book "A Prayer for Owen Meany" who is called "Hester the molester".

Edited by GoldaVining · Reason: too many words
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

And I may be wrong about what @sempervivum was meaning - and apologize if so - but I think he/she wasn't referring to the Hester part of the name, (even though that was in quotes), but the "Sunshine" part of it? That would be the part of the name that I would think was made up.

Yes, I meant the whole name.  Actually, my sister's middle name is Esther, so I don't dislike the general idea (although Hester does call to mind Hester Prynne from The Scarlet Letter).

Also, I thought this was interesting:

https://about.me/hestersunshine

Clowns, why am I not surprised?

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

40 minutes ago, GoldaVining said:

I love the name Hester. However, it brings to (my) mind the character named Hester in John Irving's book "A Prayer for Owen Meany" who is called "Hester the molester".

Oh, I can't stand John Irving so I never read it. Bullet dodged! 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Which leads me to Sebastian, whose dress was lovely. He and Kovid were robbed by the kook who was brought in for drama Hester. Betsy Johnson pulls off kookiness, but with relatable design. Hester isn't there yet. I thought her look was dreadful.

Agreed!  As soon as I saw Hester's  shtick I decided she was a Betsey Johnson wannabee (and I'm still amazed by her longevity in the fashion world). I'm fearing an ocular incident of some kind based on my uncontrollable eye-rolling over those damn hats.  How any other design could win after sharing a runway with Sebastian's creation is a mystery to me.  He fulfilled the requirements, the end result was tasteful and well executed.  More importantly, it screamed fashion done well.  Simply a beautiful outfit that to me appeared to overshadow anything else up there.  

3 hours ago, carrps said:

What a disappointment! Rakan should have been eliminated just for his fabric choice alone.

When I was about six years old I used to take fabric scraps and made doll clothes that looked very similar to Rakan's plaid mess.  As much as I am glad to see Nadine go because of her attitude, I think it was Rakan who deserved to go based solely on the merit of his work this week. 

8 hours ago, little black cloud said:

I don’t need every designer to be cloying ray of sunshine, KOVID, but I also don’t enjoy watching people who are just so relentlessly sour.

I don't want to see personalities, I just want to see the competitive creativity.  Spare me the ubiquitous sob stories too.  Queen for a Day went off the air in 1964.  

  • Like 23
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Yes, I meant the whole name.  Actually, my sister's middle name is Esther, so I don't dislike the general idea (although Hester does call to mind Hester Prynne from The Scarlet Letter).

Also, I thought this was interesting:

https://about.me/hestersunshine

Clowns, why am I not surprised?

We survived two seasons with Gunnar Deathrage - Hester Sunshine appears to be his evil twin.

Who would want to wear anything with one long leg and one really short one?  Even LLCoolJ doesn't do that anymore.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this episode was weird. Much like last week, a lot of missed opportunities. Almost no-one except Kovid, Bishme and Hester used a vibrant print. In fact, many of the "prints" read as solids. I had to zoom my ipad because I actually thought Venny's was a solid! Animal print, stripes, checks, plaid and camo are pretty boring prints and almost function like a solid. In other words, boring. Where is Uli when you need her?!?

I can't stand Hester, but I could totally see a young starlet wearing it - someone with quirky style. Maybe someone like Elle Fanning. I could also picture a young Gwen Stefani or Katy Perry wearing it.......

I actually liked what Tessa made, and I thought the giant earring worked really well with the outfit. She keeps saying her style is "minimal", but I wonder if that is because her sewing skills are minimal. While well made, it was not super complicated and I think her fabric choice was doing the work which is fine in a prints challenge. I'm still not sure about her though....

I hated Bishme's hat, and Jamall is lucky there are so many other disasters because even though he didn't make another blanket coat, the shoes/pants going on under his plaid dress were janky. Speaking of janky, Rakan's pants! Why didn't he just make a normal pant, or if he wanted that elastic or whatever, just make a normal jogger. I agreed with Nina - the cape was nice.....

I think if Garo had made the jacket more like a sporty track jacket and had mixed up the stripes like the leggings it would have actually been a cute athleisure outfit.

Sebastian absolutely should have won, but no question Nadine should have gone. What a rude, nasty person, and very unprofessional to blame the model. Goodbye and don't let the door hit you on the way out......

A few episodes in, and I think the return to Bravo is a success. The focus is on the fashion not the drama, and I don't know why, but the way it is filmed just looks so much more expensive to me. I love Christian and Brandon Maxwell, and Nina seems more reinvigorated as well. I could live without Elaine, but overall I am loving it.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I hated Bishme's hat

was that the red mess that made the model look .... large? I was surprised he was safe, but I guess there was a lot of bad to choose from. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I loved the challenge where the designers got to design their own prints!  Hope they do that again.

Oh, that’s right! Mondo designed his own print, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I loved the challenge where the designers got to design their own prints!  Hope they do that again.

Given the ones they chose from the wealth at Mood...... I am pessimistic. Why so many sad, sad, boring prints? I mean the cammo outfit was ok (I'm not a hunter, mind you) but it really read "solid." They seemed so scared of going bold.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, dleighg said:

was that the red mess that made the model look .... large?

Yup. I don't think referring to your hat as a pringle is a good thing. I loved his suit last week, but this was bad, and it read sooooo old..........

1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I loved the challenge where the designers got to design their own prints!  Hope they do that again.

Except this crew would just make stripes and plaid prints..........zzzzzzzzzzzz

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Thumper said:

I don't remember the name, but my son (now 27) watched it when he was little!  She would do a "10-second tidy" segment and I tried using that with my kids.  She also had cute little  dust bunnies that lived under her couch or bed.  lol. Memories ...

Loonette from The Big Comfy Couch. Her doll was Molly.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Isn't it time for the whole manic pixie waif thing to go far, far away?  I feel like it's been plaguing us for DECADES, and it's just tiresome - especially since all the girls (and I'm using girls rather than women on purpose) who are like this (and ugh! Erin showed up to "help" on all-stars) just try soooooo hard to be quirky that it's exhausting.  Guess what?  If you're truly visionary and offbeat, you don't have to scream it from the rooftops or radiate it from your sunshine overalls and silly glasses - it comes through in your work.  And I have no idea why Hester was even in the top three.  It was a checked tablecloth repurposed into. . . what?  When the judges were oohing and ahhing over how each piece of it could be used/sold separately, I wondered if we were even looking at the same hot raggedy mess.

  • Like 17
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like that Hester made something bright & fun because so many of the prints were dark/ neutral/ boring. But it seemed just as costumey to me as Garo's. And it was poorly sewn. I would have given the win to either Sebastian, who seems to be the one to beat this season, or Kovid whose look was fun and modern. 

Rakan's look was the worst but I agree with aufing Nadine since she seemed over it. She was rude towards her model. Having a bigger model is not an excuse for poor design; it's something all of the designers should be ready for at this point and she had enough time to tweak it. But I wouldn't call her selfish or a bitch, she helped Garo finish his look this week & gave Hester her cloth last week. I think she was frustrated and realised too late that this wasn't the right environment for her. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Beaner said:

A person who is really on the spectrum is genuinely quirky and doesn't have to work at it!  My child has always tried very hard to fit in and blend in and clearly that's not Horrible Hester's gig.

Thanks for saying that. I have a relative also on the spectrum and it is so true. They are usually trying to "figure it out," not be different for the sake of being different.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, there you go! Nadine was vile in all three episodes and now she's gone, refusing to engage with new-Heidi as she left. Charming!

Hester has shown some of her promise. Sebastien continues to make exquisite garments, and is kind enough to seem genuinely pleased for Hester's win. And Kovid redeems himself, after the bottom two last week.

I am so enjoying this season. (Could do without that poor baglady who is giving style tips, but the designers seem to appreciate the input.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

10 minutes ago, raeb23 said:

I like that Hester made something bright & fun because so many of the prints were dark/ neutral/ boring. But it seemed just as costumey to me as Garo's. And it was poorly sewn. I would have given the win to either Sebastian, who seems to be the one to beat this season, or Kovid whose look was fun and modern. 

Rakan's look was the worst but I agree with aufing Nadine since she seemed over it. She was rude towards her model. Having a bigger model is not an excuse for poor design; it's something all of the designers should be ready for at this point and she had enough time to tweak it. But I wouldn't call her selfish or a bitch, she helped Garo finish his look this week & gave Hester her cloth last week. I think she was frustrated and realised too late that this wasn't the right environment for her. 

I think it's been forgotten just how gracious Nadine was to Becky Sunshine over Taffeta-Gate.  I would have read her narrow ass for filth if she had pulled that shit on me.  And she did help Garo out when he was having a hard time finishing his outfit.  Maybe she could have spent that time working on her own outfit.  Nadine's outfit wasn't the worst but the judges wanted to punish her for what she said and I think that's bullshit.  It was painful to watch her model stomp down the catwalk.  She would have made Chanel look bad.

Nadine will be missed when the apartment is declared a health hazard because those nasty selfish people can't take the time to clean up after themselves. 

  • Like 11
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

I thought this episode was weird. Much like last week, a lot of missed opportunities. Almost no-one except Kovid, Bishme and Hester used a vibrant print. In fact, many of the "prints" read as solids. I had to zoom my ipad because I actually thought Venny's was a solid! Animal print, stripes, checks, plaid and camo are pretty boring prints and almost function like a solid. In other words, boring. Where is Uli when you need her?!?

I can't stand Hester, but I could totally see a young starlet wearing it - someone with quirky style. Maybe someone like Elle Fanning. I could also picture a young Gwen Stefani or Katy Perry wearing it.......

I actually liked what Tessa made, and I thought the giant earring worked really well with the outfit. She keeps saying her style is "minimal", but I wonder if that is because her sewing skills are minimal. While well made, it was not super complicated and I think her fabric choice was doing the work which is fine in a prints challenge. I'm still not sure about her though....

I hated Bishme's hat, and Jamall is lucky there are so many other disasters because even though he didn't make another blanket coat, the shoes/pants going on under his plaid dress were janky. Speaking of janky, Rakan's pants! Why didn't he just make a normal pant, or if he wanted that elastic or whatever, just make a normal jogger. I agreed with Nina - the cape was nice.....

I think if Garo had made the jacket more like a sporty track jacket and had mixed up the stripes like the leggings it would have actually been a cute athleisure outfit.

Sebastian absolutely should have won, but no question Nadine should have gone. What a rude, nasty person, and very unprofessional to blame the model. Goodbye and don't let the door hit you on the way out......

A few episodes in, and I think the return to Bravo is a success. The focus is on the fashion not the drama, and I don't know why, but the way it is filmed just looks so much more expensive to me. I love Christian and Brandon Maxwell, and Nina seems more reinvigorated as well. I could live without Elaine, but overall I am loving it.

I was thinking the same thing!  I found Uli - she was sitting in the audience at the Project Runway "Allstars" final fashion show - I guess she was one of the "fashion elite" at the finale - along with any other former PR contestant/winner they could find!  (Not knocking Uli - I loved her and most of her designs!! It's just that I noticed the audience was not quite as "elite" as Alyssa made it sound!  There were a lot of former PR contestents that I could do without ever seeing again - like Helen!  Ugh!)  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Loonette from The Big Comfy Couch. Her doll was Molly.

Thank you!  We  He loved that show.  lol

New judge Brandon does remind me of Michael Kors with some of his comments.   I enjoyed Michael!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Why can't we just bring back the damn button bag?

Amen!  Why did they do away with that? I thought the fighting over the best models via the button bag added to the show.  And I don't like the idea that the most aggressive, pushy, person gets first dibs on the remaining models (which is basically what happens when they are grabbing at photos.)

I wonder if they were worried that the button bag would result in all the plus-size models going home first -- thus defeating the whole purpose of including them in the mix?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I guess I’m in the minority but Christian bugs me. His manner is so affected and I get the impression that the producers tell him to play up his personality on screen. Love his advice but wish he was less of a character.

i don’t quite get Hester but I can see why they found her outfit editorial and edgy. It did annoy me though when she kept interrupting and talking over marni during their consultation. She’s not a very good listener. She made something bold and daring though so the judges loved that.

sebastian is the clear front runner and I love his personality, maybe I’m biased because I’m Colombian too and I love to see fellow Colombians like him and Nina Garcia be successful. Anyway, his talent blows me away and I can’t wait to see more of his work.

I also agree that the button bag should return, or maybe have a twist where the models choose the designer they want to work with, wasn’t that done in a past episode?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I can't believe pornstache with the matchy-matchy jeans and jacket is a designer. Yikes. Can't believe that woman wearing mix-matched prints and her hair in a stupid high bun is a stylist. Can't believe Hester Sunshine is a real human being.

What's with the shoe covers? I've seen the Kardashians do it and it's so ugly.

Anyway, Hester is lucky. This was right in her wheelhouse. I half expected her to have little ants crawling all over it to amp put the cutesy factor. It was a cute design, and it's all she'll ever win, so she should enjoy it. She can take her tacky little hats and the rest of her try-hard self home any time now. She sucks. Sebastian's and Kovid's garments were much better, but this was probably the only win she'll ever have a hope of getting.

Nadine was a sourpuss. I'm glad she's gone. One excuse after another. Good riddance. 

Garo -- that was ugly. He has a really unjustified high opinion of himself. 

  • Like 15
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I laughed out loud when the word "dated" came out of the mouth obscured by that mustache.  Because, seriously??  As far as I can tell, it hasn't made a comeback, and even Freddie Mercury looked ridiculous in that mustache when it was current.  

I also laughed out loud and said something like, "You're saying something is dated?" I've been seeing men with mustaches more often now than I have in a long time, so I thought it was making a comeback. Like I mentioned, I am not happy about it. As as single woman, I do not find mustaches attractive. Particularly in young-ish guys. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

There’s something about this show that has bugged me for a long time, and I can’t figure out why judges don’t call them on it.  When they take a closer look at the garments, I see a lot of bad sewing, unfinished work and a whole lot of unhemmed and tattered edges. Even this week there were a number of designers, even those who had higher marks, who’s designs looked poorly sewn.  I guess it’s because they only care about the basic design and they don’t put much importance on how a garment is finished.  Personally, I think every garment should be sewn correctly and properly finished.  I know when I took advanced courses in sewing and design, if we had turned in a project that wasn’t sewn well, we’d be given a failing grade. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Personally, I think every garment should be sewn correctly and properly finished.  I know when I took advanced courses in sewing and design, if we had turned in a project that wasn’t sewn well, we’d be given a failing grade. 

But did you only have somewhere between 8 and 20 hours to work on it?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know if I just imagined it, but did anyone else think that Nadine gave the judges the finger? It looked to me that when she was told she was out, for a brief moment she moved her hand near her earring, and I did think I saw her gesture with the finger. That was right before she stomped out. 

Rakan is delusional but I'm happy that Nadine was out, just because of how she dissed the model throughout. Renee can follow for the same reason.

I'm  rooting for Sebastian. He's the most sophisticated and talented designer there, and certainly is sacrificing for his art.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, jrlr said:

Isn't it time for the whole manic pixie waif thing to go far, far away?  I feel like it's been plaguing us for DECADES, and it's just tiresome - especially since all the girls (and I'm using girls rather than women on purpose) who are like this (and ugh! Erin showed up to "help" on all-stars) just try soooooo hard to be quirky that it's exhausting.  Guess what?  If you're truly visionary and offbeat, you don't have to scream it from the rooftops or radiate it from your sunshine overalls and silly glasses - it comes through in your work.  And I have no idea why Hester was even in the top three.  It was a checked tablecloth repurposed into. . . what?  When the judges were oohing and ahhing over how each piece of it could be used/sold separately, I wondered if we were even looking at the same hot raggedy mess.

It's funny because as I read this and laughed, I actually thought of Christian during his season.   His voice was almost exaggerated, he had catch phrases, exasperated sighs....he tried his hardest to be so unique and edgy and fabulous that he was exhausting.   It was difficult to deny how fast he sewed, how locked in his actual design vision was or how talented he was.....after winning all of that nonsense that made him so exhausting peeled off.

It probably won't happen for Hester because well...Marni.   LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, terrymct said:

Hester reminds me of a first year art or drama student more than anything else, trying so hard to be edgy or interesting.  She's as if a large part of Etsy came to life.

Anyone remember Regretsy?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Not surprising that someone who sports a pornstache would rave about that pedo-Lolita fever dream  that Hester sent down the runway. It was a ridiculous design from an insufferable designer. She reeks of entitlement and faux quirkiness.

I have a hard time dealing with karlie's statement that she wanted to ask Nadine how she felt. It may be part of the show narrative BUT COME ON. You certainly did't want any answer other than "it was a great opportunity and I have learned so much" and given her obvious state of mind and disdain for the process anything she said was unlikely to make it on air.

Edited by staphdude
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm wondering...  After Karlie announced Nadine as out, Nina did an additional "This is why we didn't like you" spiel which seemed unkind.  I don't remember them ever doing that before, though I have missed a number of seasons. Was this new? If so, was it intentional to get a reaction out of Nadine? Usually it's "Sorry! Best of luck. *kiss* *kiss*" at that point.

I like how they handle model choosing now. In the first season, there was model swapping all the time. People chose models because they felt they were good for this upcoming challenge. Only at the end did they settle. In the second season, people almost never swapped models except for the "Muthafuckin' Walkoff". From then on, model swapping was rare and it made that segment boring until they stopped having every designer choose a model and made it only the option for the winning designer until they had the Lifetime "Models of the Runway" yawnfest.

I often wanted the show to make the designers work with a new model every week for the first few weeks before they could allow them to settle on a model. Now with the mix of skinny and plus size models, it's good that it's a mad grab and not a schoolyard pick. Is it "if you touch a card, you must take it"? I also wonder if it's still "a competition for the models, too" as Heidi was fond of saying. If models are eliminated because of a grab of a card, then it's no longer a meritocracy for the models.

Edit: It's funny that Nadine threw her model under the bus, since Christian did the same damn thing for the prom dress challenge his season! Wound up in the bottom 2 for his troubles.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size