Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E03: All the Rage

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Who's Sonia?  I'm not joking, I really don't know which one she is.

She’s the older woman who has received zero screen time. These are her first three designs:

02787EB5-F603-425C-A54C-4306C48C1287.jpeg

44C02CEA-C850-48E6-92AE-7CB6C3A51738.jpeg

DCB232A5-03C2-489C-BD60-0D90BC5B4D21.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
On 3/29/2019 at 4:03 PM, violet and green said:

Well, there you go! Nadine was vile in all three episodes and now she's gone, refusing to engage with new-Heidi as she left. Charming!

I loved that she didn't do kissy-face with Karlie. Ugh, when Karlie put on her wide-eyed widdle girl face and said "I just wanted to ask her how she feels" I wanted to smack her. Bitch. You know perfectly well how she felt. She told you. I also think Nadine was trying not to cry. She didn't handle it that well, but her model is really awful. Not too big. Just awful.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

Anyone remember Regretsy?

Well!

On 3/29/2019 at 8:53 PM, staphdude said:

Already answered.

On 3/30/2019 at 5:46 AM, Beden said:

These folks are supposed to be fashion designers looking to be or already are professionals. In the real world, people come in different sizes. IMO to just have to deal with typically tall, slender, likely perfectly proportioned models is a cheat and a cop out. Obviously it makes things easier to a degree--yes, most garments look better on a Giselle or Iman or whomever but if you actually want a career you would do well to be able to diversify, ala Christian who's known for being able to compliment all body types.

This is true in the real world, not in the PR world. 99% of the time the thin (often the skinniest) model wins...all things being equal.

22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Already answered.

20 hours ago, Fellaway said:

It looked like a glen plaid to me, though I heard the designer refer to it as houndstooth.  It didn't look like houndstooth to me, unless it was a very tiny, could only be seen up close houndstooth.

Definitely agree on this.  Unfortunately the fashion industry and PR worship youth.  Where is Iris Apfel when you need her?

Definitely glen plaid My mom loved glen plaid, so I've known the name for that fabric since I was a toddler, And, yes, it's a weave, not a print.

20 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Did I see threads hanging down from the hem too?  I hated that outfit.  Seriously?  Red and white gingham?  

In close-up, you could see it was actually a houndstooth. Surprised me, because I thought it was gingham, and Hester said it was gingham. Not all checks are gingham.

• Love 3

Just remembered something I meant to mention above while I was out walking the dog (when I do my best thinking). Designers who get plus size or "curvy" models are at a time disadvantage, as well. They need to do more work to make garments fit properly. As soon as you go beyond "normal" model sizes, you have to make adjustments, and you need more fitting time. With the few snatches of time they're given for fitting, I'm not surprised at some of the issues. IRL, they can devote the time that a reality competition doesn't give them. I really don't blame them for grabbing for the thinnest models on the show.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, carrps said:

In close-up, you could see it was actually a houndstooth. Surprised me, because I thought it was gingham, and Hester said it was gingham. Not all checks are gingham.

Well, I love love love me some black and white houndstooth, but I do not consider it a "print" in any way shape or form, because it's usually woven!  (And if half the people in this forum consider it gingham tablecloth material, and I presume everyone has a better TV than I do, who am I to quibble?)  I thought it was juvenile and ugly and completely emblematic of MPDG's "esthetic".  She was wearing the same juvenile outfit!  NO, just NO.   

• Love 5
3 hours ago, rlc said:

She’s the older woman who has received zero screen time. These are her first three designs:

(Sonia) She's the only one of the three that did anything nice with the "necklace" modification. As I recall, another did something that looked like a bedsheet with a hole cut in it, and another did a duvet. Why have we seen more or less nothing from her? No talking heads, no talk in the work room (have we even seen Christian talking to her? I can't recall this).

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

That distinction is sooo slight, it's barely measurable, lol.

Hehe, in the world of reality TV you take whatever victories you can get, no matter how small.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 4:31 PM, GoldaVining said:

I love the name Hester. However, it brings to (my) mind the character named Hester in John Irving's book "A Prayer for Owen Meany" who is called "Hester the molester".

I just reread PfOM for the first time in 20 years. One of my favorite books of all time! 

Hester& Tessa can be auf’d ASAP.

• Love 2

Not a fashion professional, but I've always taken "editorial" on PR to mean that a design would photograph well and make an interesting spread in a magazine.  Sometimes designers have had decent designs that weren't "flashy" enough to be considered editorial.  

• Love 9
On 3/29/2019 at 1:31 PM, GoldaVining said:

I love the name Hester. However, it brings to (my) mind the character named Hester in John Irving's book "A Prayer for Owen Meany" who is called "Hester the molester".

Hester sounds like an old lady name to me.  Edith, Bertha, Edna, Myrtle, Hester...

• Love 2
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

Why have we seen more or less nothing from her? No talking heads, no talk in the work room (have we even seen Christian talking to her? I can't recall this).

This could be a good thing. It could mean that she goes far in the competition. We probably won't learn more about her until the epi right before or the same epi in which she's cut.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, carrps said:

In close-up, you could see it was actually a houndstooth. Surprised me, because I thought it was gingham, and Hester said it was gingham.

Yep, you could see it was a houndstooth easily when they have the close-up of her shopping basket.

How bad is it that folks wanting to be professional designers don't know gingham from houndstooth and houndstooth from glen plaid and prints from wovens?  Because, me?  I think it's bad.

Hester also said gingham is her "favorite color."  Well, next to "plaid."  That's her other favorite color.  I just-  What?

Edited by Fellaway
  • LOL 8
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Another poster already asked but I haven't come across a response to what they mean by editoralized? Does it mean have a story to it? Your own opinion of what you make? A bit confused by it.

I think they say "editorial." As someone else said, yes I think it means it photographs well, but I also think it makes you stop and look. Something about the outfit makes you say "huh," let me look at this. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Hester also said gingham is her "favorite color."  Well, next to "plaid."  That's her other favorite color.  I just-  What?

I noticed that, too. It made me laugh.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 11:01 AM, auntlada said:

if in school (not fashion or design school, but high school) she had some reason to have an individualized education program plan

Your choice of words harkens to yesteryear, when Siriano was a mear child and when his publicity said  in high school he had an individualized education program that included time in London doing two apprenticeships of several months each: one at McQueen and the other at (IIRC)  Vivienne Westwood. 

18 hours ago, leocadia said:

Not a fashion professional, but I've always taken "editorial" on PR to mean that a design would photograph well and make an interesting spread in a magazine.  Sometimes designers have had decent designs that weren't "flashy" enough to be considered editorial.  

Yes-but I  think it means that the focus will be on how the clothes photograph and they don't necessarily need to move or be practical. They need to make an impact in a photograph.  I thought Hester won this one because her use of color was great - I was surprised that so many of the designers were so color-shy. I actually liked the kooky pink and gray stripes. I'm shocked (and heartened) that they eliminated Nadine since I'm sure she would have just gotten more frustrated and sour and miserable and brought some serious drama in the coming weeks. I don't like that part of the show, I'd rather watch them create and be cool. So I was fine with her being cut.  As far as her model-she wasn't stick thin, but she seemed very proportionate, I don't see what would make her so difficult to design for?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Heathrowe said:

As far as her model-she wasn't stick thin, but she seemed very proportionate, I don't see what would make her so difficult to design for?

As @carrps mentioned above, the more "curves" that a model has, the more difficult it is to fit.  Pattern drafting is taught expecting that the model has a B cup bust--if a woman  is larger, there's going to be fit issues right off the top that will need to be addressed (not to mention shoulders, tummies, bottoms, hips, biceps, etc.).  A thin, straight, small chested model is just easier to design for--they are basically a walking hanger (no offense to anyone who has that body type. You rock whatever body you have!)

• Love 2
23 hours ago, JenLily said:
On 4/1/2019 at 2:49 AM, Fellaway said:

I noticed that, too. It made me laugh.

The school color(s) for my university was (were) a specific plaid. Still are, as far as I know. I was amused.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:17 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

I wish we could have screen shots of each outfit each episode. All of the above seem to be at a level equal to Sebastian so I wonder why she isn't being highlighted more? 

BravoTV.com has photos of all of the outfits each episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

BravoTV.com has photos of all of the outfits each episode. 

It's so nice to have these again! I was getting so irritated at Lifetime for not providing them in recent season(s) (not sure when  they stopped). 

• Love 6
(edited)
18 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I went to the site and found PR but I can't find the photos? Can you lead me to them?

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-3 

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-2

The episode 3 one is currently on the front page; to get to earlier ones click on "episodes," go to the appropriate episode guide, and look for "runway recap." 

Edited by akr
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

How bad is it that folks wanting to be professional designers don't know gingham from houndstooth and houndstooth from glen plaid and prints from wovens?  Because, me?  I think it's bad.

Ram going on about wanting houndstooth while the camera crew was showing closeups of him standing near bolts of it was great work. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, akr said:

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-3 

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-2

The episode 3 one is currently on the front page; to get to earlier ones click on "episodes," go to the appropriate episode guide, and look for "runway recap." 

Thank you for this, and yes, I too am glad to have the photos back.

On 3/31/2019 at 3:02 PM, carrps said:

Yep, you could see it was a houndstooth easily when they have the close-up of her shopping basket.

Hee! You would think that if gingham was her favorite "color," she would know what was and wasn't a gingham.

And looking at the site for the photos - thanks again akr - I could not only see that her cloth was houndstooth, but that her accessory backpack wasn't done up in the houndstooth as I'd originally thought, but was actually just a see-through backpack with fabric stuck inside it. I guess maybe that's where the other half of the long skirt went?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 8:19 AM, Suzysite said:

Gotta say, I'm side-eyeing Hester's story about one teacher getting her kicked out of design school for being too quirky.   Sure Jan.   I want to see her grades.   Methinks she flunked out and is making herself the victim.

I think by "extra attention" she meant that she needed deadline extensions and then that old meanie the teacher wouldn't accept her late projects and made the school kick poor widdle Hester out. 

Design schools (well, really any institution of higher education) don't want to kick out students as students represent tuition money.  One teacher/instructor not liking a student is not going to lead to the school kicking that student out of the school.  I would almost place money on the fact that Hester is presenting a story in which she becomes the victim for "just needing a bit more..."

• Love 10
14 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

If I am thinking correct, Afa also had a curvy model? His outfit was tailored well for her

yes, it was flattering. And the designers said something like it made her booty look great (which it did).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I have learned from the first episode on that shoe covers either work or they don't. When they do they are squee moments.

It cracks me up that one of the judges' go-to criticisms is "figure skating costume"....and boot covers are part of a skating costume (although they are somewhat out of fashion lately). That's what I think of every time I see shoe covers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 3/29/2019 at 2:20 AM, athousandclowns said:

I must be from another planet because the tablecloth costume was awful in every way. What were they seeing that will fly of the rack? Good uniform for working in a icream parlor. 

So agree about Christian he’s  as cute as a bug. I haven’t seen him in years and what a delightful guy. 

Apparently, I am from the same planet! I don't understand how they said a couple were costume-y but not that one? It made me think of Little Red Riding Hood. But like, sexy Little Red Riding Hood, like a Halloween costume. Maybe it would fly off the rack in a Halloween store?

• Love 3

I was on a business trip out of town last week and so missed most of the show and didn't use the unsecured wireless at the hotel (BOO AC Hotel Nashville Downtown!) to post. I saw enough to see that Nadine was angry that she got a plus size model and treated her model like shit, which contributed to her well-deserved, and apparently desired, loss.

So tonight I watched the summary from last week and (without looking online to verify) it looks like Nadine poorly copied one of the sample looks from the challenge announcement. Am I right or am I wrong?

(edited)

So many WTFingF quotes this week! I wanted to half the cast and judges to line up so I could smack them.

"Practice it at home." Fuuuuuuuck you, Nadine. Even if your model did not walk the exact way you wanted (or, as it seems--I'm not an expert) was empirically "bad" at walking the runway, she gets paid for her time working and no model is going to do whatever it is you imagine is her dream weekend: strut around her NYC apartment, tears streaming down her face, stuffing laxatives in her mouth, desperate to get your specific walk right so you can not go home.

And fat-shaming her on the runway for HER (Nadine's) OWN INCOMPETENCE was just beyond the pale. May I share a story? Back in the mists of time, 2006 or so, I ordered a gorgeous transseasonal coat. I wanted simple swing-line camel coal that looked like an rich Vassar girl from 1965 would wear rain or shine for decades because she came from the kind of WASPy old money that was, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or go without" kind of Yankee frugal. It looked like nothing but was so well-made, those in the know would know. I told the girl at by phone at the shop in New York that I was a Target size 8, so couture fat, large or extra large. She laughed and said, no, their 8 would fit me fine. I love my coat and still wear it all the time. Thank you, Emmett McCarthy of Season 2 Project Runway. His store, EMC2, is now closed, but they had beautiful dresses and shoes and were so nice, and never made me feel like I wasn't welcome as a customer because I wasn't a size 00.

Stefon's mom was a joke, right? That person doesn't really exist, or is a performance artist? "People in Korea walk around in gas masks." They, uh, they do? Like World War I gas masks? I wish!

And finally: "My teacher got me kicked out of fashion school." Really, poor little match girl? I don't think that's how it works.

Edited by Silly Angel
  • Love 3
On 4/1/2019 at 1:49 AM, Fellaway said:

Seriously, I have been saying all sorts of things are my favorite color for the last week and a half because of this.  It is legit driving the people I live with nuts.   Sorry fam.   "It is my second favorite color next to plaid" will never not be funny to me, though.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Hester looks like she raided the 90s dELiA's dumpster.  Was that a daisy on her denim romper?  That was dELiA's logo.

I spent far too long trying to attach this and failed.

They are selling this rainbow hoodie as an exclusive at Coachella.  So the quirky kids who can get 60 bucks can shop their "Exclusive 90s Collection."

https://www.dollskill.com/delias-dolls-kill-rainbow-striped-zip-hoodie-purple.html

Edited by PumpkinPK
I am old.
  • LOL 2

All Hester’s look needed was the model to stick a wine bottle with a candle in it on her head.  No thanks.  Italian restaurant chic isn’t my idea of high fashion.  Still astonished that the guest judge was gushing over it.  They are also always banging on about “taste level” - where was the good taste in that thing?

Sebastian got robbed.  

I liked Nadine until this episode.   Bagging on her model was cringeworthy.

Tim who?  I really like Christian as mentor.  

• Love 2