Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Her

Message added by Lady Calypso

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that anything discussed in interviews and articles about future plot points, such as confirmation on future Rebecca's condition, should be taken to the Spoiler and Speculation thread, not in this episode thread. Keep the discussion about what has happened in this episode. Thanks!

• Start Topic

(edited)
43 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I assume Central and Masterman require entrance exams.  Would they even be able to be considered if they missed the application deadline (which I assume would be some time in November or December, with exams taking place in January/February)?

Even so, most schools, even elite ones, will accept transfer students if they meet the criteria for admission.  If Tessa and Annie are in programs for gifted kids in Alpine and with Deja apparently doing well at her school, there would probably be a way to get their kids into charter schools if Randall and Beth want that.  If nothing else, Randall is surely going to be meeting up with members of the school board at some point and will be able to get some expert tips on choosing the proper schools for his girls.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
On 4/2/2019 at 10:35 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If the car accident did lead to Rebecca's condition, don't tell Kate that this parent's bad result was also her fault.  After all, Rebecca bent down to rescue the peaches she had bought for her.  The peaches of doom.

Again. Jack went back in for the dog at Kate's insistence, and breathed in additional smoke, causing more strain on his heart, and Rebecca bent down to retrieve the peaches that Kate had to have, and took her eyes off the road. 

And I have to put up with annoying Toby every week, because she needed a relationship. 

Everything is Kate's fault. 😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I re-watched the end of the episode and noticed that when Jack begins to unleash his persuasive skills on the desk person, Kevin says "but we could have made it one night."  So it really was Jack who was the child there. But we had to have the echo of that walk down the hospital corridor for when adult Randall goes in to see future Rebecca. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, preeya said:

No pun was intended. Ketchup sandwich is or was (when I was a youngster) a real thing.

Mayonnaise on white when i was a kid 😂

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Again. Jack went back in for the dog at Kate's insistence, and breathed in additional smoke, causing more strain on his heart, and Rebecca bent down to retrieve the peaches that Kate had to have, and took her eyes off the road. 

And I have to put up with annoying Toby every week, because she needed a relationship. 

Everything is Kate's fault. 😉

Kate yelled to her father to NOT go back into the house, so not at her insistence at all.  And, Kate just asked her mom to get peaches while she was at the store.  She didn't tell her to be a moron and pick them up off the floor while she was driving.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, DNR said:

Mayonnaise on white when i was a kid 😂

The easy go-to at my house was toaster oven grilled cheese.  Two slices of bread, one slice of (processed) cheese and then toast.  Sometimes, I'd add deli meat.  Years later, I decided to call the latter "croque etudiant."  Etudiant because, well, we're making a sandwich "student" style if you get my drift.  Another name is "ghetto grilled cheese" (for the former).  

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Perhaps it's already been mentioned but when young Kevin was flirting with the nurse at the hospital, I had to do a double take because I thought the nurse was present day Sophie. Nice clever casting, show! 

• Love 6
(edited)
53 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I re-watched the end of the episode and noticed that when Jack begins to unleash his persuasive skills on the desk person, Kevin says "but we could have made it one night."  So it really was Jack who was the child there. But we had to have the echo of that walk down the hospital corridor for when adult Randall goes in to see future Rebecca. 

I took Kevin's comment as bravado in front of the nurse, so he didn’t look babyish. 

I have no problem with kids being scared. Mom wasn’t just away for the night, she was hurt, scary looking, and hospitalized. They’re kids. But Jack could’ve done a better job comforting them. In reality, he was the one who didn’t want to be alone. 

Edited by MJS
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, PRgal said:

The easy go-to at my house was toaster oven grilled cheese.  Two slices of bread, one slice of (processed) cheese and then toast.  Sometimes, I'd add deli meat.  Years later, I decided to call the latter "croque etudiant."  Etudiant because, well, we're making a sandwich "student" style if you get my drift.  Another name is "ghetto grilled cheese" (for the former).  

My mom used to make us fried macaroni.    Boil a box of elbow macaroni, put half stick of butter in a pan and cook until one side gets crispy brown.   Sometimes she would put a sprinkle of grated cheese.    Siblings and I loved it but didn’t realize at the time it’s when the pantry was low on items.   Carb overload.  It was also a good snow day lunch.  

• Love 3

I get that the nurse hearing every other word from Jack was a comment on his speechifying, but that was just absolute shit writing for her to say she was ending a 24 hour shift and only hearing words.

Umm, you are a desk nurse.  I would hope if your colleagues are trying to tell you something important about a patient you are understanding everything they say and not blanking out because you are tired.

Kevin, Zoe is super great with her nieces.  You know what is also super great? That she can leave their house, and go on to do whatever she wants to because she does not have the responsibility of childcare.  She TOLD you that.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Kevin, Zoe is super great with her nieces.  You know what is also super great? That she can leave their house, and go on to do whatever she wants to because she does not have the responsibility of childcare.  She TOLD you that.

Yep.  When Zoe went upstairs with Annie and Tess to help pick an outfit, I knew they were going to have Kevin figure that meant Zoe wants children.  Which is ridiculous.  I don't want kids.  It doesn't mean I don't enjoy spending time with my niece and nephew or my friends' kids.  I was also looking forward to being step mom to an ex-bf's kids (obviously that didn't work out).  But, I do NOT want kids of my own.  That's a whole different ball game.

• Love 7
On 4/2/2019 at 10:35 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If the car accident did lead to Rebecca's condition, don't tell Kate that this parent's bad result was also her fault.  After all, Rebecca bent down to rescue the peaches she had bought for her.  The peaches of doom.

Anyone else get flashbacks to Dawson's dad's ill-fated ice cream cone in that scene? 

• Like 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Wasn't the premise of that show that Philadelphia was too dangerous for Will to remain in, so he was sent to live with relatives in California? 

Yes, but logic has never gotten in the way of a Pearson speech or pop culture reference.

(or anything, really)

Edited by MrsWitter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Does anyone feel the flash forwards kill a little of the show or do you think it gives more depth? I feel it makes it a "guessing game" and people spend more time speculating and looking for clues. It also takes away some questions.

For instance, I knew Nicky would be back but I'm glad he is until the end so I was happy to see that. Kevin is happy so for me that makes any angst with sobriety and looking for work less compelling.  Chirssy Metz mentioned loving the next 3 years until the end, so I doubt she is going unless she lies well. Whether she is together with Toby, not a huge deal. IDK, I guess I like more mystery and we know the ballet studio will be fine, Tess is fine, etc.

I fluctuate about my feelings with that concept but mostly I don't like it.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
On 4/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, ams1001 said:

That occurred to me, too (mostly because of Tess's "I'm not ready"), but she'd have to be of sound mind to be able to make the decision herself, and the fact that Randall had to tell her who he is made me think probably not. If she's on enough drugs that she doesn't recognize her own kids, I don't know that they could do it. I could be wrong.

Wow you guys are good.  It makes sense it might be leaning that way.  Also, I thought when Randall introduced himself he almost had an angry tone.  It wasn't a soft loving tone...like he was angry. Maybe my imagination.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2019 at 4:38 AM, Pallas said:

For sure. Kevin's always been leery (or much worse) around Madison; his asking Randall to run interference between them at Kate's wedding last year was a big hint. Also, Caitlin Thompson -- the actor who plays her -- is married to series creator Dan Fogelman. I think of Kevin as Fogelman's self-acknowledgedly-dreamverse stand-in. The boy from Bethel Park with a beloved obese sister who made his career out West in the TV-film industry, and knows how to work a metaphor. 

Tess works at the Essex County (NJ) Child Services; the office would be in Newark. I'm still not clear on where Tess and Randall were in the flash-forward shown mid-season, as they made their way through the white lobby of some building: Tess excused herself and that's when Randall phoned Toby. Or is that what county office building lobbies in Newark will look like in two decades? 

I really like that theory ( didnt know she was married to the head honcho)

On 4/2/2019 at 10:54 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

There's such a thing as home hospice.  If Kevin has the room and the emotional ability to have her there, why not?

And it might be an ideal solution if Kevin is back with Sophie. I don't like Kevin with Sophie but it seems really likely. 

• Love 1
On 4/3/2019 at 12:50 PM, Dowel Jones said:

I have a relative who owned a dance studio for many years, focusing on children's dance.  One time I mentioned that we sent our daughter to dance academy (another one), and went to the required recitals when they came up.  I laughingly said that it appeared to me that 90% of the kids were there simply as babysitting/activity time, because they weren't really very good at all.  Disclaimer:  I include my daughter in that group.  Anyway, my relative replied that the untalented kids who were there for activity time were the bread and butter of the studio, and that's how she stayed in business.  So, yeah, businesses don't always have the highest opinions of their clients.

I used to teach dance (assisting as a high schooler, and for a year after college), and I agree with this. However, most dance teachers are not so bitchy. Most, like your friend, would admit that that kind of kid is their main source of business in a tactful way, but not such a rude one. I wouldn't be surprised to hear, "of course, our average kid isn't bound for Broadway," "we focus on having fun, really, except we focus on technique more in our advanced classes because those kids have different goals," or, "don't worry about this class...it's pretty typical eight-year-olds!" Most teachers also focus on how little Mary, while she might not be Broadway bound, has improved so much in tap this month! Most children's dance schools are also quick to point out that they predominantly teach life skills, and most for adults brand it positively, like, "we give busy adults a fun hobby and help them get active!" While there's no question that most dance schools aren't primarily training superstars (and the one beth grew up in was one of the "superstar" ones), most truly love and cherish their students, and I have never seen a teacher be negative and snarky about non-troublesome students who are reliable and pay good money!

• Love 11
On 4/3/2019 at 1:45 AM, LadyNebula said:

I just want to know what state they're in. Not emotional state, but actual geographical state. I'm assuming that older Tess and her parents are still on the East Coast. Am I remembering that Tess works in Newark or am I making that up?  When Randall called Toby, it seemed like he was close by, and he must be to make it so quickly.  Maybe Kevin's huge house is in the NYC area, which makes my Newark memory make sense.  Plus I doubt Nicky would up and move to LA. So I'm assuming all of the Pearsons are East Coasters now?

I think too much. 

I think the first Tess flashback said it was some Essex County department? Which could be located in Newark

4 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Wow you guys are good.  It makes sense it might be leaning that way.  Also, I thought when Randall introduced himself he almost had an angry tone.  It wasn't a soft loving tone...like he was angry. Maybe my imagination.

I picked up on that too. I also wondered if I was the only one! My theory was that it had to do with Nicky.  When I saw Nicky, I paid careful attention to see how Randall would address him, and I thought his greeting to him sounded cold and disapproving. That made me think Nicky was dating Rebecca, whereas if he was just there as a family member, Randall would have been happier to see him. They could have had him use this tone to confuse viewers, though. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

This was one of my main snacks growing up! I called it cheese toast though. No one else I know has ever eaten it and I've had to introduce it to others.

• Love 2

I really don't see a downside in the move to Philly. New business opportunity for Beth, closer to Randall's district. Remember when Tess played Snow White in the play and all the white parents were snickering? And how Deja noted they were the only AA kids around? I'm white and live in a very white area, and over the last few years I've been questioning our choice to live here. My son is a teenager and is also very aware of the lack of diversity. I've heard comments and seen behavior that have angered me. I'm glad my son sees that for what it is and has friends who seem like they are of the same ilk, but I've heard stories about kids who make openly racist comments. It would be surprising if the girls had never seen or heard things that made them uncomfortable.

I'm not familiar with Philly public schools, but cities always have lots of options, either gifted programs within the public school system if the girls qualify or private schools. And maybe Deja can go back to drill team.

They've been in that house in Alpine forever and probably have a ton of equity. 

• Love 9

Picking up what someone mentioned (sorry, too many comments to find the one) on how the girls are old enough to be alone for a couple of hours.

I totally agree. Besides being old enough, they show Deja as this responsible and insightful young woman, who can deliver a speech that changes the mind of a stubborn adult, someone who has been to so much and still manages to "overcome" (yikes, I hate this term) and "excel". But she needs a baby sitter?

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, gameshowjunkie said:

or private schools

I'll be pretty annoyed if they can't afford after school daycare, but they can afford private school.  From what I understand, private schools nowadays are as much  money as college.

• Love 2

As an adherent to Minimalist living, I am glad Randall’s family are going to downsize.  They will be living in a vibrant, diverse city just a short train ride away from NYC—2 great cities!  They’re trading in excess square footage for experiences.  I hope Randall trades in his flashy car for a minivan and public transit passes.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

Kate yelled to her father to NOT go back into the house, so not at her insistence at all.  And, Kate just asked her mom to get peaches while she was at the store.  She didn't tell her to be a moron and pick them up off the floor while she was driving.

Yes, I realize all that, and I was totally being sarcastic, which I guess was not obvious enough? More emoji's and winky smiles, I guess. 😉 

• Love 1

As the end of the episode, we saw Kate and Toby bringing 12-weeks-premature Jack home. I thought someone said he was born only two weeks earlier. Is an infant that's still 10 weeks shy of a full-term birth weight and development able to leave the hospital so early?

I don't know much about preemies, but I do know something about gardening. Randall and Deja must have driven really far to get that burger, because that's bougainvillea covering the fence behind them (which does great in California but can't survive freezes like they get in New Jersey).

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.17.26 AM.png

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

They never really try on this show with the geography or climate.  However, I did notice Toby had on a jacket and scarf when he came into Kevin's, so that should be a clue that they're probably not going to be celebrating the actual birthday of Jack and the big three.  Maybe a re-enactment.

• Love 2
On 4/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, Blakeston said:
On 4/3/2019 at 9:36 AM, PRgal said:

I thought I read it was about 15?  Tess is 10 or 11 (looks much older, but that's because the actress is 13) right now, so 15 years down the line would make her 25-26.  I'm pretty sure Tess's job requires an MSW, and at 22, she'd still be in school.  

I found an interview where Fogelman implies that the flash-forward is 15 years in the future, so I think that's our best bet. 

I agree with the speculation that the only reason we haven't seen Kate is because they don't want to lock the character into Chrissy's current weight. It sounds to me like she and Toby aren't together anymore - but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get back together in the end.

The only reason I have been assuming the flash forward is ten years ahead is because in the last few moments of the season 2 finale, Randall's speech at Kate's wedding is played over several future scenes, including some of the ones we are speculating about now. In the one where it shows Older Randall for the first time ever - the "it's time to go see her" line, Randall's speech says "or TEN years from now" at the precise moment that we see Randall's face. It could just be an instrument to let the viewer know that we're now in the future, but it sticks with me. 

I also think Kate is absent from these scenes because of weight/body. Toby's actor wears a larger body suit to make him bigger but Chrissy Metz is true to the size of Kate. You can't trim her so I assume we're going to see additional weight loss from Chrissy over the next year(s). She's already down quite a lot from season 1, to my untrained eye. 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, Blakeston said:
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, PRgal said:

I assume Central and Masterman require entrance exams.  Would they even be able to be considered if they missed the application deadline (which I assume would be some time in November or December, with exams taking place in January/February)?

16 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

Yes, but logic has never gotten in the way of a Pearson speech or pop culture reference.

(or anything, really)

They are Pearson. Randall will go in an talk about how he was abandoned at a fire station and raised by white people. He will speechify until all the private schools will want to give the girls full scholarships. Even with the scholarships, Randall will insist the girls attend a public school near William's old building. This is because he will single-handedly clear Philidelphia of all crime to the point where people from Bel Air will send their kids to West Philadelphia and do an opposite Fresh Prince. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, valandsend said:

As the end of the episode, we saw Kate and Toby bringing 12-weeks-premature Jack home. I thought someone said he was born only two weeks earlier. Is an infant that's still 10 weeks shy of a full-term birth weight and development able to leave the hospital so early?

I'm pretty sure we flipped a few more weeks/couple of months in the future in those last scenes with Kate bringing the baby home.   A baby born at 28 weeks with no major complications might go home a couple of weeks before their original due date but they'd still be spending at least a 8-10 weeks in the hospital.  Breathing on his own is a great first step, it is HUGE, but it isn't even close to the only step he's got to reach.

But you also don't decide to move to Philly on a Saturday and pack up on Sunday.  They have to put their house on the market.  They've got to either find a place in Philly or at least a temporary solution in Philly.  They'd probably let the girls finish out the school year (or at the very least the semester).   

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, valandsend said:

I think our threshold was 4 5 pounds.  It took our oldest 10 weeks to get there,  then he needed an emergency eye surgery that kept him in another two days.  They also moved him to the level 2 nursery at 8 weeks because policy was that a baby could not be discharged to home from the most intensive NICU level.

Edited by Crs97
Edited because I looked and it was 5 pounds.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
41 minutes ago, GodsBeloved said:

Its it me or has Rebecca aged a bizillion years and Nicky and the others only a few?

I thought Nicky's make up was much more realistic to his age than Rebecca's, who I thought looked too young! If my logic holds up, if this is 10 years in the future, Nicky is 77 and if 15, 82. This is based on him being 18 in the 1969 draft lottery. Rebecca is around his age, maybe slightly younger according to other clues we've been given. Also, if she has been suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia long enough to be bed ridden, she will have aged more. Diseases of the brain can have a tremendous effect on the body over time.

Edited by HollyGoLitely333
Forgot to mention...
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I'm pretty sure we flipped a few more weeks/couple of months in the future in those last scenes with Kate bringing the baby home.   A baby born at 28 weeks with no major complications might go home a couple of weeks before their original due date but they'd still be spending at least a 8-10 weeks in the hospital.  Breathing on his own is a great first step, it is HUGE, but it isn't even close to the only step he's got to reach.

But you also don't decide to move to Philly on a Saturday and pack up on Sunday.  They have to put their house on the market.  They've got to either find a place in Philly or at least a temporary solution in Philly.  They'd probably let the girls finish out the school year (or at the very least the semester).   

I do think they would let the kids finish the school year.  Yet, they could be packing up the house for a move to a place they closed on fast in Philadelphia.  They don't have to have sold their house before moving, they may have no mortgage on it and can take their time selling if need be.  As for the baby's age, no real idea, but he still looked super small to me when he was home.  Maybe they just wanted to save money on not making two animatronic ones of differing ages. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Except he's half-Pearson.  They heal faster. 

As for packing and moving, once I had made the decision to move, I would immediately start packing non-essentials.  So that I had less to do when the time came and I could space it out a bit and not feel so rushed.  Of course, with my last move, and I had it all packed and ready to go with about 2 weeks to spare.  The day of the move, all I had to do was pack the clothes I'd been wearing for the last two weeks and my go-bag of essentials and I was ready to walk out the door.  It made things a lot easier on the guys helping me with the move.  In contrast, my mother-in-law is still packing on moving day.  And the guys helping her move usually have to wait around drinking beer while she works.

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 4/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, icemiser69 said:

Beth found a door.  If Randall wanted to stay married to her, he had to walk through with her.   The house probably would have been sold either way.  That is, whether they moved to Philadelphia or were divorced.

Beth seemed shaken and scared when she admitted to Randall that she didn't see a door.  Randall was also very concerned.  If Beth had presented Randall this door and Randall had said, I've been spitballing too, what do you think of this idea and it addressed concerns Beth had in a better way than hers I don't think she would have spitefully insisted they walk through the door she found simply because she found it.

Bottom line, they both were scared they were standing at the precipice with nowhere to go but down.  They were both clearly ready to take the best deal Monty Hall had to offer, no matter who found the best door.

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 2
On 4/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, ShadowFacts said:

It can also mean that a light bulb went off in her head that there are these kinds of women everywhere, and she can work with them anywhere. Or specialize in children, either way, it made her go and check out Philadelphia immediately. Randall had his moment of clarity when Deja hit him upside the head with her speech. It actually seemed like it was Randall who was reluctant about moving, he mentioned their current house and how they were married there, etc. She was doing whatever it took to 'open the door', and Randall was willing to as well, so they both come out smelling like roses. I still think some underlying stuff needs working out, but these writers aren't going there. Randall + Beth all the way into the future.

I took this moment to mean that Beth finds what the owner says to be cruel and nasty and that she can serve her students better if she is the owner of her own studio. It also could have made it clear that she has the chops to own a studio for these hobby dancers even if she never went pro. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'll be pretty annoyed if they can't afford after school daycare, but they can afford private school.  From what I understand, private schools nowadays are as much  money as college.

True, but many schools offer assistance, even for families making decent incomes.  The Pearson kids would likely be attending public.  It wouldn't look good on Randall if the girls went to private.  

3 hours ago, valandsend said:

I don't know much about preemies, but I do know something about gardening. Randall and Deja must have driven really far to get that burger, because that's bougainvillea covering the fence behind them (which does great in California but can't survive freezes like they get in New Jersey).

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.17.26 AM.png

Someone born as early as Jack II would probably be in the hospital for 10 weeks or so (if they don't have too many complications).  Even my 5 weeks early baby was in for nearly two!  And he didn't have issues other than not being able to eat without being on a feeding tube.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

Its it me or has Rebecca aged a bizillion years and Nicky and the others only a few?

Well, if her health is failing that makes sense to me. My grandmother was young-looking all her life, like "double-take when she said her age or date of birth" young-looking (dark complexion, Black don't crack!) but when her health began to fail in her 80s, she aged very rapidly. (I remember thinking when we buried her that she looked younger in the casket than she had in months.) I thought Nicky should look older, though.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

This was one of my main snacks growing up! I called it cheese toast though. No one else I know has ever eaten it and I've had to introduce it to others.

When my kids were little I did that but also put a fried egg on top. We very originally (lol) called it "eggs and cheese and toast."

• Useful 1
(edited)

I thought this was a pretty decent episode, especially compared to some others this season. I thought it was also relatively positive in spots - Beth and Randall are trying to get back on track, which is fine by me, I like them when they're in step with each other; Kate and Rebecca had a true moment of honesty and closeness, even after a very tense situation; and even though Kevin and Zoe broke up, it was the right thing to have happen. Uncle Nicky is alive and seemingly well (at least from the glimpse we saw). So even though there's still PLENTY of drama and setbacks to come, I appreciated the few glimmers of positivity. I thought the young actress who plays Tess did an outstanding job in her scene with her uncle Kevin. I hope the writers give her a decent story line next season, and may it NOT be one of torment and bullying, please!! 

As for the future scenes - I think they were a mix of red herrings and what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Or rather - as next season plays out, we'll look back at these scenes and go, "Oh, so THAT'S what was going on." When the camera zoomed in on Beth's wedding rings, I initially figured she and Randall were still married (and yes, the kiss on the lips and the endearment, "Baby" backed that up), but with this show----who knows! That zooming in was extremely intentional, so either the show was hitting us over the head with obviousness or purposely setting up some confusion.  As for why certain characters weren't shown, I just figured it was because they were each coming from different locations and hadn't all arrived yet. In those future scenes, each of the main characters is well into adulthood (I don't count Baby Jack as a main character yet), and they may be scattered around the country/globe. Whatever's going on with Rebecca, we can guess until the cows come home and all be totally wrong, so I'm not even going to speculate, based on the two or three moments we saw her in that scene. Yup, she's old and has some serious medical issues. That's all that you could determine with certainty. It's a good old-fashioned cliff hanger of sorts, and sure, I'll be curious to know how she ends up in that state, whatever it is. The pin the tail on the donkey and sidewalk chalk may related to something already shown, or may be connected to something we haven't even seen yet. 

I fast forwarded through the Rebecca post-car-accident-hospital-and-home scenes. Just utterly not interested, and from reading all the comments, I'm glad I skipped it. The woman was hurt and while not at death's door, needed one freaking night in the hospital - why the f*ck can't her family manage for one night? Get over it. Maybe I'm a nasty old bitch, but I had no sympathy for the kids getting freaked out seeing her in the hospital. She had broken arm and some facial cuts and bruises - hardly the stuff of nightmares. As for Jack's apparent inability to prepare food - WTF? What about the episode where he had Randall and Kate order a pizza on their own (using his money)? Why couldn't they have done that? 

I didn't let the literal logistics of Randall and Beth's move to Philly bog me down, I just rolled with it. Overall, I was OK with this episode.

Edited by Biggie B
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

About Jack and those 'yummy' corn sandwiches.

"Fun and impulsive dad,' Jack would get a pizza or burgers.  Now with Rebecca hospitalized he is the defacto mom.  Mom cooks, not orders pizza.  Stay at home Rebecca probably has more in the pantry, but she WAS coming from the store. But I agree with other posters, toast the bread and serve corn on the side if those two items are THEE LAST items in the home.  I used to butter bread and add sugar, then toast it for a few minutes. 

About Kevin trying to influence Zoe over motherhood.  Thank you to all the posters who said women who choose to not have children shouldn't be viewed negatively or a 'what's wrong with HER' attitude.  Us men, we are sometimes trained to think women aren't complete without the 'joys' of motherhood.  The phrase " What if all women thought like you. We would cease to exist as a society"  is ignorant and belittling.  And yes I've heard it.  I'm sure many of you heard it.  

I've asked many female married coworkers "Any kids?  Why not? Is it something you want?" And I didnt mean any harm.  I believe i was programmed early in life what the supposed traditional roles of men and women are. So thanks for opening my eyes !

• Love 5

Jack and the corn sandwiches and running the kids to see Rebecca in the middle of the night was ridiculous.  If I had to choose between a guy who does the Big Romantic Gesture and the guy who can do practical things (Like feed and care for his own dang children while I recuperate from a medical emergency), I will pick the practical guy every time.  

I am glad that Zoe and Kevin have the strength to call it quits .  Whether or not to have kids is a huge decision, and the relationship will struggle if they are not on the same page about this.  I hope they don’t have Zoe change her mind, because some people don’t want children and that’s a valid choice.  I say this is someone who always did want children and was blessed to have them easily.  I don’t think that motherhood or the lack thereof should totally define a woman’s life.

I see the flaws and overwroughtness the show has at times, but I’m still in.  It entertains me.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

True, but many schools offer assistance, even for families making decent incomes.  The Pearson kids would likely be attending public.  It wouldn't look good on Randall if the girls went to private.  

I would hope important decisions regarding their kids, such as education and health care wouldn't be made based on what "looks good." But, yeah, they'll probably go public.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Well, if her health is failing that makes sense to me. My grandmother was young-looking all her life, like "double-take when she said her age or date of birth" young-looking (dark complexion, Black don't crack!) but when her health began to fail in her 80s, she aged very rapidly. (I remember thinking when we buried her that she looked younger in the casket than she had in months.) I thought Nicky should look older, though.

Say it! And that brings me to Beth’s aged makeup. The thing they did with the lines on each side of her mouth (present day Rebecca has them too) is awful looking. They didn’t need to do much if anything to future Beth, who is in her mid 50s.

Angela Bassett, Kimberly Elise, Holly Robinson Peete, Alfre Woodard, Elise Neal, Lela Rochon are just a few women in their 50s who don’t look it.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 1