Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S03.E18: Her

On 4/3/2019 at 1:41 AM, happykitteh said:

The corn sandwiches scene was beyond stupid. Jack couldn't stop for burgers or pizza on the way home from the hospital? Don't they keep luncheon meat or cheese in the house? Or a few cans of soup? Or eggs? Cereal? I always assumed everyone with kids kept these staples around.

I think we were supposed to find that cute, but I hated all of it.  Why not order a pizza?  Or make something simple?  It drives me crazy when TV dads are depicted as bumbling fools who are incapable of doing even the most simple things.  He's always been depicted as being pretty hands-on, and it's not as though he suddenly woke up and had 3 children.  It's also not as though he was a single guy who had 3 kids dumped on him without warning.  Even in that case, order a damn pizza!  Or ask the kids what they like before making a stupid sandwich that seems like something a toddler would concoct.

And speaking of age, the kids were certainly old enough to put together some kind of dinner all by themselves.  They didn't have to rely on a father who all of a sudden had turned into Bumbling Old Dad.  It was all very unrealistic to me.

On 4/3/2019 at 2:24 AM, qtpye said:

No, I was dreading a Gift of the Magi moment.

Me too.  I was sure that was where they were going.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:38 AM, Dejana said:

. The kids were acting half their age, like 5-6 year olds rather tweens. 

I totally agree.  And Jack showed horrible parenting skills.  He completely fed into their fears about Rebecca rather than calmly explaining that she had a minor accident, needed to rest, and would be home the next day.   Showing up at the hospital in the middle of the night (all 4 of them), was the wrong thing to do.  Not only does the hospital have rules, but Rebecca needed to sleep, and it was inconsiderate to other patients.  All he taught those kids is that they're special, they get to have whatever they want, and rules don't apply to them.   They certainly were acting much younger than their age, and he treated them as though they were much younger too.   But whatever their age, "We need to let Mom rest" should have been the end of any conversation about seeing her right away,  Not only was that a better way to parent, it was also the truth.

I also really disliked it (and thanks for letting me vent!) when he was giving his long speech to the nurse and said something about the kids not being anything without their Mom.  I don't remember the exact words, but he said it right in front of the kids.  I worked in mental health for many years, and found that really disturbing.  

A lot of what we saw Jack do in this episode confirms the origin of the entitlement that lives on in Randall, Kevin, and Kate.  

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Like 17

On 4/7/2019 at 2:32 PM, debraran said:

I liked him for about 6 months and then as a wife and mother, I thought, "No he tells Rebecca what to do a lot and pretends he asked".  Whether it's asking her last minute to make another costume or go on a vacation (where she is still doing everything) or accept job changes or an apartment he picked out or so many things. He's jealous and wants his wife home, she never had any real friends they showed or alluded too and never had a job until he said she could help him in his new business. (not the same) Even bringing the kids down to the hospital as another post alluded too, gave me a very controlling feeling, not love.  But others filter it differently.

This article touches on some of the not so good things they do on the show. Randall's infinite finances are mentioned although they are finally talking about that now.

https://screenrant.com/this-is-us-things-wrong-fans-ignore/

I'm not sure I can love this comment more.  I am never sure if it's my natural dislike for Milo V. and the roles he chooses, or if his characters are just awful. 

On the other hand, much of the problems with Rebecca is the writers not giving us a sense of who she is beyond singer turned mother because of the love of one man.  It's played out as an epic star-crossed lovers route where the man is the hero and she is the prize.   Rebecca is only defined by her relationships with men and by extension, her kids.  And I know a part of that is the era she was raised in...but I want to see Rebecca be strong and independent, not a prop.

I loved the ep where Kevin is in therapy and he calls her out for stuff.  Because we at least get to see them expressing their problems, even if nothing gets resolved.

• Like 7

On 4/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, bybrandy said:

However,  I think Kate was in a place where she was ready to panic because Rebecca had her so on edge with all of her nitpiking and because Kate didn't get to ask the question she needed to process everything because question time was eaten up by Rebecca.   

That's how I saw it too.  Rebecca was too intrusive, and asking the doctor to wait until she grabbed her notepad, taking up Kate's time to ask her own questions, etc. showed a lot of insensitivity to Kate and the situation.  She should have quietly taken notes and let Kate have her time with the doctor.  It would have been far better to be a calming emotional support rather than darting around and putting herself front and center.   All that crazy energy wasn't helpful to Kate.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:20 AM, bybrandy said:

Do you work with kids in fostercare whose care givers are given a monthly stipend?   While it isn't a word I'd expect every teenager to know I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't common in the fostercare community where the per child stipend is a thing. 

Yes, kids in foster care very well may be quite familiar with the word "stipend".

On 4/3/2019 at 11:04 AM, JudyObscure said:

Same here.  It brought back a time when my mother-in-law was with me as a doctor was giving me some really devastating news about my son and she interrupted me as I was asking the doctor a question to correct the way I was pronouncing a word (actually my pronunciation was the preferred usage) but what stunned me and the doctor was that she thought that was important. 

My MIL was smack in the middle of my first  marriage from the first day right up until  our divorce ten years later, and every time I would voice a complaint about her interference, -- choosing where we lived, what apartment we lived in,  what doctors we went to, what jobs my husband had,  and every single aspect of child raising -- I would always hear the same defense, "She means well."  And she did, all the time she was keeping her son from growing up and our marriage from developing, she always meant well.

JudyObscure, I can so relate to this!  I had a very overly-involved MIL too.  She had a lot of love in her heart and was always well-intentioned, but she was never willing to step back and let us find our own way.  You articulated so well exactly how it was for me too.  I could write pages and pages about this, but will refrain.  🙂

On 4/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, Spencer Hastings said:

I don’t excuse Rebecca for much, but her behavior in the hospital can be forgiven. She’s an over processor and to cope she analyzes every little thing.  I get it.  We’ve seen that hospitals in general freak her out and we have seen her over analyze how chairs and outlets look in hospitals as a way to cope.  Her grandson is an extremely precarious situation, her daughter is a band new mother, AND she knows all too well what it’s like to go home without your baby.  She’s doing what she can to protect her own sanity while helping her new grandson. 

I can understand why Rebecca behaved the way she did.  And her motives were certainly good. 

But in that situation, she should have put her daughter's needs above her own.  Protecting Kate's sanity should have been a higher priority than protecting her own.  So I even more completely understand why Kate was annoyed, and IMO she had every right to be.  

It's forgivable, of course.  But I rarely side with Kate, and I was with her on this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I think she's lost a substantial amount of weight. This link shows before and after photos of her, comparing her season one weight with a more recent photo of her.

(There are other before/after photos of her showing an even bigger difference, but I suspect those "after" photos were taken more recently than when the season 3 finale was filmed.)

Regardless, she could easily gain or lose weight between now and then, so I understand why they wouldn't want to be tied to any particular weight for the character long-term. Especially if she loses more weight - it would be depressing to think she'd gain it back.

Re: the sandwiches - we've never been given the impression that Jack's family was so poor that they couldn't afford, say, peanut butter and jelly. I think that was supposed to be a "ha ha, when dads are on their own they just cook what they ate when they were bachelors, which is such garbage!" joke. Which is really, really tired humor.

Read more  

I think the second photo in that link is bogus. 

Holy yeah, that after photo is all kinds of doctored. The weight loss is definitely more subtle than this before/after but I follow Chrissy Metz on instagram and I've been noticing for several months her slimming down in her posts. 

On 4/6/2019 at 3:15 PM, MJS said:

Funny, I took those sandwiches as something he fondly remembered eating and wanting to do something fun with the kids. One bite in and he realizes memory doesn’t match up with reality. He seemed proud of the meal, not a desperate “dad doesn’t know how to cook” moment at all.

Proud until he took that bite, lol!

Totally! Maybe even "Rebecca would never let me feed this to these guys - now's my chance to show them my 'specialty'"...bite...whoa that is not how I remember them. Haha. We saw Jack have the kids order pizza at this age in a past episode - when he snuck off to see Nicky - so obviously he resorts to that sometimes. I think it was just a silly way of pivoting him to realizing he missed Rebecca more than he was letting on. 

Edited by HollyGoLitely333 · Reason: punctuation
  • Like 3

On 4/3/2019 at 1:33 AM, happykitteh said:

This may be a crazy theory but I think the "her" everyone is gathered to see is Kate. Showing Rebecca in the bed was just to throw off the viewers.

Randall was standing at the foot of the bed and said "It's Randall. It's your son Randall". Then he turned to Nicky and said hello. I don't think it's Kate. Although something happened with her. I'm thinking she and Toby divorced. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:40 AM, athousandclowns said:

Thanks for saying that because I didn’t think there was anything wrong with note taking.  

I don't think anyone here has said there's anything wrong with note-taking.  I always take notes when I speak to doctors.  I have a little notebook that comes with me to appointments, and if I find myself in an emergency situation, I grab paper from wherever I can get it.

The problem with Rebecca, IMO, was that her note-taking was disruptive.  As were other things that she did.  In fact, if she had simply listened and taken notes, it would have been much better for everyone.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, Katy M said:

Who is getting screwed?  They are moving one state over.  They may very well consider it an adventure.

Yes, they might see it that way and it may turn out to be that way.  But moving can be a big deal to kids no matter their age.  It's not just about staying in the same high school.  Younger kids have to make a lot of adjustments too.  They'll be leaving the only house they've ever known, their school, neighborhood, friends, and they'll have to start all over with the extra-curricular activities that they enjoyed (which may or may not be offered in their new location), etc.   And there's a BIG difference between Alpine, NJ and Philly.   Their day-to-day lives will be altered dramatically.

My best friend moved away when we were in elementary school, and it was devastating.  In retrospect, she didn't move that far away, but since neither of us drove, it might as well have been on the moon.  Of course now there's email, Facetime, social media, etc, but all of that is not the same as having a best friend right across the street.  Friendships are really important to kids.

This is not to say that the family shouldn't move.  I'm just surprised that there wasn't even a throwaway line about the kids when Randall & Beth decided to do it.  It was as though they didn't even have children.  I'm sure they feel the girls will adjust and that this is the best solution, but I wish it hadn't been glossed over so easily.

• Like 9

On 4/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, mojoween said:

Kevin, Zoe is super great with her nieces.  You know what is also super great? That she can leave their house, and go on to do whatever she wants to because she does not have the responsibility of childcare.  She TOLD you that.

Exactly.  My sister is a really good aunt to all of her nieces and nephews, including my kids.  But she never wanted children of her own, and never had them.  She's good as an aunt, but shouldn't be a mother because she chooses not to be one.   Being good with kids and having kids of your own is not the same thing at all.

And yes, Zoe was very, very clear about it.  Kevin should have believed her, and respected her decision.

On 4/7/2019 at 1:06 PM, sasha206 said:

It's getting to the point that every time Milo is on the screen with his fake voice (sounds like he drops it down a register and sounds very unnatural to me) I want to punch him.  I will never understand how anyone finds this character endearing.

I thought I was the only one who isn't crazy about him.  I don't want to punch him (!), but I've never thought he was sexy or appealing on any level.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

Exactly.  My sister is a really good aunt to all of her nieces and nephews, including my kids.  But she never wanted children of her own, and never had them.  She's good as an aunt, but shouldn't be a mother because she chooses not to be one.   Being good with kids and having kids of your own is not the same thing at all.

And yes, Zoe was very, very clear about it.  Kevin should have believed her, and respected her decision.

I thought I was the only one who isn't crazy about him.  I don't want to punch him (!), but I've never thought he was sexy or appealing on any level.

I thought he was super-awkward on Gilmore Girls.  I was #teamdean all the way!

As for the episode itself:  how far is Philly from Pittsburgh (not that it matters if Rebecca and Miguel move west)? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

As for the episode itself:  how far is Philly from Pittsburgh (not that it matters if Rebecca and Miguel move west)? 

It's approx. 5 hours, probably a little more.  And that's if traffic is okay.  Lots of people fly - I think the flight is under an hour.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I don't think Rebecca and Miguel live in Pittsburgh anymore, they seem to be much closer to Alpine, New Jersey, from various times such as Christmas when they were within a pretty short drive. 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 11:22 AM, Aloeonatable said:

These are actresses who have the time and means to keep their youthful looks. Not everyone ages the same. I'm 70, and to me look every year of it, but others are shocked to learn how old I am. Sometimes it is how you act and dress that ages you. 

I also know non actresses who don't look their age but I didn't mention them because I didn't have pictures to post. I saw a childhood friend's mother on FB yesterday. She is in her late 70s and looks forty something.

Definitely agree its sometimes how you act and dress. They have Rebecca acting and dressing "old". 

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I don't think Rebecca and Miguel live in Pittsburgh anymore, they seem to be much closer to Alpine, New Jersey, from various times such as Christmas when they were within a pretty short drive. 

Then again, this show's writers don't seem to have a concept of geography.  HAHAHAHAHA

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

7 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Then again, this show's writers don't seem to have a concept of geography.  HAHAHAHAHA

If only there was a magical place where you could type "how far is it from someplace to someplace else" and get an answer.    /sarcasm.

Edited by bybrandy
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

On 4/5/2019 at 6:18 PM, MrsWitter said:

My SO is the same! Are you from the South? He will be so happy to know of someone else who grew up with “cheese toast.” When I was growing up with my Italian dad, if we put cheese on bread in the toaster oven, it was only mozzarella on crusty bread and there had to be olive oil, basil, oregano, and garlic too. So, you know, just garlic bread. We could do nothing simply. 😂

I'm from the South and we regularly ate and LOVED cheese toast when we were kids and I still regularly eat it for breakfast!

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 2:32 PM, debraran said:

This article touches on some of the not so good things they do on the show. Randall's infinite finances are mentioned although they are finally talking about that now.

https://screenrant.com/this-is-us-things-wrong-fans-ignore/

The only quibbles I have with this list is that while I have HATED this entire election storyline, everyone starts somewhere with politics, and usually, a city or county council is a good place to start, even if you've never had interest or background in politics. I mean, it's not like he ran for president with no previous political experience...

And as far as Kevin's career trajectory, I don't think its that unusual.  Tom Hanks started on Bosom Buddies. We saw Kevin do some work on a play and [despite running out to help Randall on opening night], I think he was supposed to have been really good, impressing his co-stars, director etc.  And then an award worthy role in a Ron Howard film.  I can buy that.

• Like 8

Its kind of weird to me that, in all the talk about moving for Randall's new job, no one really talks about how the girls feel about it. Yeah kids move all the time and I am sure they'll be fine, but it really does suck when your a kid, and you have to move to a new school and leave all your friends, your house, etc. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Its kind of weird to me that, in all the talk about moving for Randall's new job, no one really talks about how the girls feel about it. Yeah kids move all the time and I am sure they'll be fine, but it really does suck when your a kid, and you have to move to a new school and leave all your friends, your house, etc. 

It would be weird if it were normal people.  But, Jack foisted an adopted child on Rebecca and we didn't see any conversation about that.  Randall announced to Rebecca that he was going to run for office in another state.  Didn't ask her what she thought about that.  

There either was a conversation that they didn't bother showing us. Or, there wasn't because Pearsons.

• Like 4

Re Nicky, I think it's possible that he may not be "with" Rebecca at all. Besides the kids and if Miguel is dead Nicky would be the one last connection to the Jack she never knew. He would be able to tell her about how close they were as brothers and all the things he did to protect him and their mon from their abusive dad. And she in turn could fill in the blanks about the Jack he didn't get to know better.

Does this all belong in the speculation thread? I'll move it if so.

• Like 3

I don't understand why people think Rebecca is "with" Nicky.  He's just sitting in a chair watching over her so she's not alone.  Why he is there....seems like he ended up back in touch with Kevin and family and found his place in the family.  The speculation about Nicky being "with" her feels to me like all the many paragraphs that were written about how Miguel must have stolen his best friend's wife.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its kind of weird to me that, in all the talk about moving for Randall's new job,

Well, it did happen in the last moments of the season.  I'm sure the girls will have feelings about it when the next season opens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, izabella said:

I don't understand why people think Rebecca is "with" Nicky.  He's just sitting in a chair watching over her so she's not alone.  Why he is there....seems like he ended up back in touch with Kevin and family and found his place in the family.  The speculation about Nicky being "with" her feels to me like all the many paragraphs that were written about how Miguel must have stolen his best friend's wife.

I agree, I try not to think of the show as a "soap" I feel Million Little Things crossed that line but I want to think of TIU more of a drama and not hook everyone up that acts in the show. ; )

They are going to show more of how Miguel and Rebecca get together after FB message but I hope they do it with dignity and not try to spare feelings of Jack fans by making their marriage a "less special"affair. She did say she loved him, you can love more than one person and I think Miguel was probably good for her later in life. I hope you see that he brought out more of who she is and they had fun, traveled, did things for just them and not the family.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, izabella said:

I don't understand why people think Rebecca is "with" Nicky.  He's just sitting in a chair watching over her so she's not alone.  Why he is there....seems like he ended up back in touch with Kevin and family and found his place in the family.  

I agree. 

When Randall called Toby, he said "She'd want you there". I believe Randall was talking about Rebecca wanting Toby there. It's not far fetched that Rebecca would want Nicky there as well. 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2019 at 7:54 PM, PRgal said:

Milo came across much better as an adult on Gilmore Girls "A Year in the Life." The Dean character went bad when he was trying to get back together with Rory as a married man, and dismissing his relationship with his wife.

I don't love his portrayal of Jack, but it seems like bad writing is to blame for his behavior while Rebecca was in the hospital. The Jack character was written to be over the top about how he and the kids can't function without her. I could understand him having difficulty with answering their questions and parenting if he was worried because she was in a coma or in ICU after a risky surgery, or Kate got her first period the night Rebecca's in the hospital and that's an awkward thing to handle for a dad - but come on. He could have handled dinnertime. (I agree with poster who said it was like he'd had 3 kids dumped on him out of the blue and he'd never had to think about children eating dinner before.)

The kids being unable to sleep/having bad dreams is somewhat believable, especially given Randall's closeness to his mother and tendency toward anxiety. But Jack taking the kids to the hospital because they all miss Rebecca so much, and pleading with the nurse to let the 4 of them see her was really bad parenting. The message is: "this family is entitled to get what we want; rules don't apply to the Pearsons."

Now, I understand kids can get upset about not being around mom for a night or two. I know a kid who was crying and saying he missed his mom when she was gone for most of a night. But that kid was 6. The Pearson kids were tweens when this happened. Give me a break.

• Like 6

Looking back at the episode:  If Rebecca was to make lasagna, then I assume they would have had pasta sauce and ground beef?  Or was she on her way to (or home from) the supermarket?  If they had the stuff at home, Jack could have made sloppy joes.

9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Looking back at the episode:  If Rebecca was to make lasagna, then I assume they would have had pasta sauce and ground beef?  Or was she on her way to (or home from) the supermarket?  If they had the stuff at home, Jack could have made sloppy joes.

She was definitely on her way back from the store.  Hence the peach debacle.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 8:32 PM, izabella said:

I didn't assume that Nicky and Rebecca were a couple, but I saw it as a possibility.  The big reveal, to me, was that Nicky had come back into their lives.

So the way I see it is that he & Rebecca simply may have become close, with the starting point being their shared love of Jack and desire to have the other fill in missing pieces about his life.  Maybe that led to a romantic relationship, maybe they just became good friends.  Or maybe Nicky simply became close to Kevin, possibly was living there, and so was in Rebecca's room at that moment to keep an eye on her since Kevin had to go out.

So many possibilities!  I actually thought this episode was kind of a mess, jumping all over the place, with several eye-roll-inducing moments.  But I liked that we saw Nicky there at the very end because that surprised me.   And surprising me used to be what this show did best.  It will be interesting to see how the Nicky aspect actually plays out.   🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I didn't assume that Nicky and Rebecca were a couple, but I saw it as a possibility.  The big reveal, to me, was that Nicky had come back into their lives.

So the way I see it is that he & Rebecca simply may have become close, with the starting point being their shared love of Jack and desire to have the other fill in missing pieces about his life.  Maybe that led to a romantic relationship, maybe they just became good friends.  Or maybe Nicky simply became close to Kevin, possibly was living there, and so was in Rebecca's room at that moment to keep an eye on her since Kevin had to go out.

So many possibilities!  I actually thought this episode was kind of a mess, jumping all over the place, with several eye-roll-inducing moments.  But I liked that we saw Nicky there at the very end because that surprised me.   And surprising me used to be what this show did best.  It will be interesting to see how the Nicky aspect actually plays out.   🙂

I agree with your idea of just being friends and maybe living with Kevin. I'm sure he sobered up about the same time (maybe in part with him?) and might have lived with him for a while. When Kevin finally made it, (he had what looked like awards in the hall going to Rebecca's room) he might have bought him a better home. Either way, I loved them together and am so glad they worked out a contract.  Randall and Beth were never in danger to me, even after the VM because they both kept saying so off air, and the baby also. When you know it's going to be okay, the drama lessens. That is why showing us the end is deflating in you know certain things but just not how. I'm okay with that but the only one I cared about I know the most about. Kevin makes it, he is a dad with a cute "kevin-like" son and Nicky got a second albeit late chance on life.  We know Rebecca dies the same as Jack, but again, it's just how.  Does her illness really matter anymore than what appliance killed Jack? Does it really matter who Kevin was with or if he adopted. I'll enjoy the ride but will never be in love with future shots.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2

I feel like the flashback scenes with the car accident would have been better if they'd added another age group for the Big Three of around five years old.  The tween actors just felt too big for that storyline and Jack being overwhelmed felt odd.  However if the kids were younger it would have been more believable.  Plus going forward the Tween actors feel like they're now almost the same ages as the teen ones.  Moving forward having another age to use for storylines could help.  I hope they're not going to continue pretending the tween actors are like eight years old since they've obviously grown up since the show began.

• Like 6

Okay... I'm only on page 4 of this thread, but, please... for the love of all that's good and holy, do not let Sophie be Kevin's mother or let them get back together!   She has been through way too much with Kevin.  Please let her have enough self-respect to just say NO.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WasabiGreenPeas said:

Okay... I'm only on page 4 of this thread, but, please... for the love of all that's good and holy, do not let Sophie be Kevin's mother or let them get back together!   She has been through way too much with Kevin.  Please let her have enough self-respect to just say NO.  

Unless Sophie has frozen eggs or used a donor, I'm not sure about that likelihood.  I know that spontaneous pregnancy can happen in one's late 30s, going on to 40s, but it's less likely than, say, a 32 year old.   And yes on the no part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Unless Sophie has frozen eggs or used a donor, I'm not sure about that likelihood.  I know that spontaneous pregnancy can happen in one's late 30s, going on to 40s, but it's less likely than, say, a 32 year old.   And yes on the no part. 

But this is TV and not real life.  So, likelihood doesn't play the same role.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 4:45 PM, Libby96 said:

I am glad that Zoe and Kevin have the strength to call it quits .  

IMO, though, the problem unique to this relationship is that they are both related to the same family; they will still have to see one another at family functions, and hopefully they won't make things awkward for Randall, Beth and the girls. It's not like most breakups, where you part ways and never see one another again.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:33 AM, smartymarty said:

The writers apparently don't know that a few years ago, Pennsylvania Ballet (based in Philly) opened a dance school to train future dancers for its company. The students that Beth wants go there. It would have been better for Beth to get a job teaching at that school, except that of course she can't because she's been out of dance for so long.

I don't know a thing about professional dance, but it seemed rather obvious to me that Beth can't just "open a studio" because she's suddenly decided it's her life's dream that she can't put off for another minute. I mean, just because she trained as a child/teen doesn't mean she's certified in whatever necessary ways (I'm not sure how the studio where she worked this season even took her...if someone signs up for classes, wouldn't you have to tell them how the instructor is qualified?) I presume that telling the students the instructor took lessons twenty years ago wouldn't really cut it.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, SnarkySheep said:

I don't know a thing about professional dance, but it seemed rather obvious to me that Beth can't just "open a studio" because she's suddenly decided it's her life's dream that she can't put off for another minute. I mean, just because she trained as a child/teen doesn't mean she's certified in whatever necessary ways (I'm not sure how the studio where she worked this season even took her...if someone signs up for classes, wouldn't you have to tell them how the instructor is qualified?) I presume that telling the students the instructor took lessons twenty years ago wouldn't really cut it.

I think Beth can be qualified to teach dance the same way that Kate can graduate from a community college after one semester and now be qualified to teach music.  Or when Kate, who hadn't sung publicly in almost 2 decades, decided she was professional singer and was going out on auditions and getting bent out of shape when she wasn't hired on the spot.

This is a pretty common problem on TV: characters want exciting careers and the showrunners think it would bore the audience to see the time and effort involved in getting there.  The show Parenthood was famous for that.  Lauren Graham's character, Sarah, started out as a waitress who had dropped out of college decades earlier and drifted from low paying job to low paying job.  Her brother helped her get an office job at the athletic shoe manufacturer where he worked.  About 2 weeks later, she was a genius at shoe design, practically ready to step in and run the company.  She later got a job as an assistant to a professional photographer; a guy with extensive training and years of experience.  Minutes later, she discovered her amazing natural talent for photography and was getting lavish praise, winning awards and actually competing with her boss for lucrative job opportunities. And beating him out at it.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think Beth can be qualified to teach dance the same way that Kate can graduate from a community college after one semester and now be qualified to teach music.  Or when Kate, who hadn't sung publicly in almost 2 decades, decided she was professional singer and was going out on auditions and getting bent out of shape when she wasn't hired on the spot.

This is a pretty common problem on TV: characters want exciting careers and the showrunners think it would bore the audience to see the time and effort involved in getting there.  The show Parenthood was famous for that.  Lauren Graham's character, Sarah, started out as a waitress who had dropped out of college decades earlier and drifted from low paying job to low paying job.  Her brother helped her get an office job at the athletic shoe manufacturer where he worked.  About 2 weeks later, she was a genius at shoe design, practically ready to step in and run the company.  She later got a job as an assistant to a professional photographer; a guy with extensive training and years of experience.  Minutes later, she discovered her amazing natural talent for photography and was getting lavish praise, winning awards and actually competing with her boss for lucrative job opportunities. And beating him out at it.

LOL, you forgot when Sarah decided she wanted to write a play...the moment it was done, her dad remembered he had an old Army buddy who was a director, and of course the guy immediately loved her work and set up a live performance (which was packed, naturally). After the show, we never again heard a single reference to Sarah's writing.

At least the one good reality check This is Us had was NOT having Kate immediately hired for that high school chorus teaching job that Madison had referred her to. There is no way on earth that any school would hire her on the sole basis that she "really likes to sing" and "totally gets what teens are going through." I really loved that scene, with the principal acting kind of incredulous that Kate would even bother trying without a degree - and of course, Kate acting kind of incredulous that silly things like degrees should keep a Pearson from what they want.

• Like 3

I was listening to the song "Hold your head up High" on a TIU video and noticed as Randall is walking to Rebecca's room, a wall of cuckoo clocks. Not much to say about that but maybe someone will like them in future shows.  : )  I also heard but realized more so this time, Toby had never seen Kevin's place before.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc1oUaI2fYj9PdcH70KFLCA

Lady Calypso

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that anything discussed in interviews and articles about future plot points, such as confirmation on future Rebecca's condition, should be taken to the Spoiler and Speculation thread, not in this episode thread. Keep the discussion about what has happened in this episode. Thanks!