Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Galileo908

S30.E18: Bart vs Itchy & Scratchy

Krusty releases and all-female reboot of Itchy & Scratchy, so Bart and his friends decide to boycott the show.

The first ep written by Megan Amram!

Krusty Kon: "It's not weird for adults to be here!"

I really liked Krusty Kon, especially the panel. Boy, have I been to dozens of panels just like it.

Need a screenshot of all the female cartoon characters. Caught Betty Boop, Daria, The Powerpuff Girls and Louise Belcher. It's perfectly in character for the boys of Springfield (including Ralph!) to immediately hate the idea of an all girl Itchy & Scratchy, and for Bart to love it because, well, it's Itchy & Scratchy. Bossy Riot kind of reminded me of Jessica Lovejoy, but there's three of them. And more accepting of Bart. There was the inevitable betrayal, but I liked that, too. A glitter bomb that spoofed the opening of Saving Private Ryan was pretty hardcore, but funny.

You know things have gotten weird when Milhouse is the Alpha of the boys. So much so that it rekindled Kirk & LuAnn's love life. I also caught the other Van Houtens on the picture above Kirk & LuAnn: Grandpa from "Flying Hellfish," Grandma from "Bart Sells His Soul," and Milhouse's cousin voiced by Clarice Van Houten.

"We need a sorority, but for boys." Just about every boy character was in BRA at the end, right?

Marge: "I don't know what to be liberal about anymore." Okay, that one HAD to be Megan's line.

Hell, I really liked this one, and if there was something I didn't like, it was Lisa pronouncing gif with a J-sound. It's hard G or nothing.

At one point the girls said they were pushy, so they should have called themselves Pushy Riot.

Edited by opus
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Need a screenshot of all the female cartoon characters. Caught Betty Boop, Daria, The Powerpuff Girls and Louise Belcher.

Thankfully, Matt Selman provided. Seems I missed Miss Grundy from Archie.

D2doiwQUcAAnqMl.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

A glitter bomb that spoofed the opening of Saving Private Ryan was pretty hardcore, but funny.

I knew it was something like that but didn't remember. The bathroom candy killed me. There's always something in women's bathrooms. One of them from grad school had an easy chair in it. 

I liked Lisa ranting about the lack of pockets. One of the students did that to me last year. 

I don't know who Megan is, but this was an enjoyable episode. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 1

That's cool. 

I also liked the song at the end.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 1

Booth signs at Krusty-Kon:
-- Sideshow Bob Prison Art Gallery
-- Krusty Vape Pens -- Say 'Hey Hey!' to 99 Vape Flavors
-- Krusty Vials and Beakers
-- Absolut Krusty
-- Krusty's Stunt Doubles Autograph Booth

I liked the 'Krusty embedded in carbonite like Han Solo' art piece.
Also liked that each of Sideshow Bob's paintings had prison window bars in each painting.

The cover of 'Cups' on the new Itchy and Scratchy cartoon was pretty good.

Music tracks were good in the episode -- Cherry Bomb by The Runaways (which was on the Guardians of the Galaxy 1 movie soundtrack) and Extreme Ways by Moby (which is the theme music from the Jason Bourne movies) at the end as Lisa rode off with Bossy Riot, and over the credits.

Lisa: "This is someone else's war. And you, you're just a mercenary."
Bart: "Mercenaries are cool, like Boba Fett."
Homer (as he puts butter on a slice of pepperoni pizza), says sarcasticaly: "Oh yeah, Boba Fett. Great character."
Bart: "Boba Fett's bad ass. He wears a jet pack AND a cape."
Homer: "Pick a lane weirdo."
Lisa: "Why does every discussion about feminism turn into an argument about Star Wars ?"
Homer: "If Boba Fett is such a great bounty hunter, why is his armor all banged up ?"
Bart: "Ugh, it's a look. Like distressed denim."

During the B.R.A. burning protest recording.
Milhouse: "I told you not to light the toys yet."
Nelson: "I didn't, they just burst into flames."

Bart: "Don't have a lady cow."
Carmen the BR member: "All cows are ladies."

Krusty the Clown show, presented by:
-- UFC Cologne for Men
-- Safe-T Crotch Jock Straps
-- Gun Balm Bicep Oil
-- Chaw Boy Kid Chaw

• Like 4

I didn't really like this episode.  I was really bothered that Bossy Riot were lauded in show as important feminist activists, but they were actually just common vandals.

• Like 3

I noticed as  Bart was talking to the other guys in front of the convention center, you could see Ned Flanders and his kids walking out behind them, holding Itchy & Scratchy balloons and wearing character hats.  I would think that Ned wouldn't let his kids watch such a violent cartoon and would never take them to any type of '-con'.  Have we seen them watch that cartoon before? (Or even watch Krusty's show? Although I know they eat at  Krusty Burger.)

(And now I have 'Cherry Bomb' stuck in my head!)

• Like 2

That was a weird one. 

I get the feeling that we were meant to be siding with Lisa but her rant seemed really off base; Bart all but worshiped Bossy Riot and was desperate to be part of their gang. Obviously he wasn't read up on feminist theory but his admiration for the older girls seemed a hundred percent genuine, even though they treated him like crap. How is he a 'mercenary' again?

The showed also forgot to make the BRAs actually villainous. I get why they why the writers would balk at Milhouse and Nelson viciously trolling female characters on the internet or indeed in school but the only thing we actually saw them do was 'hate non-watch' Itchy & Scratchy and stage a protest outside the studio. It just seems weird that we're meant to cheer at these children who were immature but didn't actually hurt anyone get their comeuppance while Bossy Riot, who committed a petty vandalism spree, tried to destroy a beloved tv show and were relentlessly mean to the adoring Bart rode off into the sunset lionised as heroines. Um, yay?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lazlo said:

That was a weird one. 

I get the feeling that we were meant to be siding with Lisa but her rant seemed really off base; Bart all but worshiped Bossy Riot and was desperate to be part of their gang. Obviously he wasn't read up on feminist theory but his admiration for the older girls seemed a hundred percent genuine, even though they treated him like crap. How is he a 'mercenary' again?

The showed also forgot to make the BRAs actually villainous. I get why they why the writers would balk at Milhouse and Nelson viciously trolling female characters on the internet or indeed in school but the only thing we actually saw them do was 'hate non-watch' Itchy & Scratchy and stage a protest outside the studio. It just seems weird that we're meant to cheer at these children who were immature but didn't actually hurt anyone get their comeuppance while Bossy Riot, who committed a petty vandalism spree, tried to destroy a beloved tv show and were relentlessly mean to the adoring Bart rode off into the sunset lionised as heroines. Um, yay?

Like I said in my earlier post, the show holding up the girls of Bossy Riot as feminist heroes was disgusting.  They were not feminist activists.  They were bullies / vandals who used feminism as a cover. 

As for the boys, I'm not sure what they were going for there.  For me, the joke seemed like less of a joke on the Men's Rights movements, and more like a joke on the idea of Milhouse being popular and leading people.

• Like 1

I thought it was Milhouse having friends was a powerful aphrodisiac.

• Like 1

I hated the "Bully" Riot too. And once again Lisa is all talk. And shrill. Since she thinks Bart joined a group without knowing what feminism is about, she could have explained it to him without screaming that it's not fair he's in a cool club and she's not!!!

• Like 2