Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E17: Press Waffle Co., SilkRoll, Pick-Up Pools, Dare-U-Go

• Start Topic

March 24, 2019

A decadent breakfast treat; an online fashion trading platform that aims to help women save money while easing the environmental impact of manufacturing clothing; an idea for a convenient and affordable swimming pool; a product for moms on the go.

2 hours ago, rhys said:

Drrr, I missed the last 5 minutes. What was blond mom lying about?

Mark didn’t like that she used the same crap as so many entrepreneurs that “this market is worth so many billions therefore even if I get a tiny percentage it’s still a lot of money.” I think her “lie” was that she said she watched the show and they always say not to do that. 

I really disliked that woman and her fake tears. Notice she was standing there waiting a bit for the tears to come. Such an actress. No surprise she come from some reality show. Did she really say her kids names were Daxil and Venice? No clue how she spells those. What a twit.

oh and the intro was all about her making a way for kids to eat healthier and yet no mention of that in her pitch or what a bib has to do with eating healthy. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Mark didn’t like that she used the same crap as so many entrepreneurs that “this market is worth so many billions therefore even if I get a tiny percentage it’s still a lot of money.” I think her “lie” was that she said she watched the show and they always say not to do that. 

I really disliked that woman and her fake tears. Notice she was standing there waiting a bit for the tears to come. Such an actress. No surprise she come from some reality show. Did she really say her kids names were Daxil and Venice? No clue how she spells those. What a twit.

oh and the intro was all about her making a way for kids to eat healthier and yet no mention of that in her pitch or what a bib has to do with eating healthy. 

Lisa was on America’s Next Top Model where she was kind of an out of control whackadoodle.  She came back on the allstars version and won.  Then she was on Marriage Boot Camp with her survivalist husband.  I’m glad to see she has pulled her life together.  BTW she was in a horrible car accident several years ago and she must have had fantastic plastic surgeons because HDTV is unforgiving and she looks great.

https://people.com/tv/americas-next-top-model-champ-lisa-damato-injures-face/

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

Lisa was on America’s Next Top Model where she was kind of an out of control whackadoodle.  She came back on the allstars version and won.  Then she was on Marriage Boot Camp with her survivalist husband.  I’m glad to see she has pulled her life together.  BTW she was in a horrible car accident several years ago and she must have had fantastic plastic surgeons because HDTV is unforgiving and she looks great.

From the link you posted, it wasn't a car accident. She and some others were goofing off in a hotel and she fell while doing a handstand up against another person who came crashing down on her.  I didn't care for her and her liberal use of "literally."

Pick-Up Pools cracked me up. The guy wasn't a redneck, but the product is sooo redneck. Truck beds really aren't that deep, so I don't really get the excitement of sitting around in waist-deep water. But it's ghetto enough it might just be successful. 

Silkroll was one of the worst pitches I've seen. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

I haven’t seen this show in awhile.  Caught the pick up pools pitch....pretty hilarious.  Didn’t think he was making enough money.  Surprised they wanted the final price to be under a hundred dollars because it’s only good for....pickups.  I don’t even know many people who tailgate in pickups.

The bib model was annoying as hell.  I couldn’t stop staring at her bolted on boobs.  Her personality was too over the top for me.  Since she has no experience in actual business I think she would be easy to take advantage of.  In that sense it’s good she has some guidance now.

• Love 3

I love the fact that Kevin called that so-called bib a "FEED BAG" because that's exactly what it looked like!!!

How did we ever survive without all these gadgets to raise our kids for us?  Now, if someone wants to invent something to change the diaper for you, I'll invest in THAT!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

From the link you posted, it wasn't a car accident. She and some others were goofing off in a hotel and she fell while doing a handstand up against another person who came crashing down on her.  I didn't care for her and her liberal use of "literally."

Pick-Up Pools cracked me up. The guy wasn't a redneck, but the product is sooo redneck. Truck beds really aren't that deep, so I don't really get the excitement of sitting around in waist-deep water. But it's ghetto enough it might just be successful. 

You're so right.  I remembered she had a bad accident but most have confused it with a car accident someone on a different reality show had (I watch way too much reality tv) so when I find the link to the accident I just copied and pasted without reading.  Unfortunately many of the younger people use literally way too much these days whether it's applicable or not.

• Love 1

Speaking of diapers, that' what I'll always remember Lisa D'Amato for. That's some tough drunken behavior to live down. i howled when I saw her and her stupid, humiliating feedbags with their cheaply made plastic emitting toxins into the little kids' food. It's such an American product. Snack all day! Eat on the go! In the car! On the playground! During playdates! On the toilet! Never wait to stuff your face or show up for structured mealtimes, just cram it in any old time. And it had nothing to do with nutrition. So her demo versions were packed with broccoli; what's to stop a mom from loading one up with Oreos, chicken fingers and fries? She's a famewhore and can't stay away from reality TV, and her kids with their unfortunate names are now paying the price.

I enjoyed the Pickup Pool guy and his redneck invention. That looked like something in a country music video and he seemed very sweet. Not everyone has a pickup, though.

It was refreshing to see the waffle guys come out talking about butter and sugar pearls and decadence and whipped cream. Made a nice change from vegan, gluten-free, keto, no-carb garbage products that glut this show.

Silkroll was baffling. In a world with Buffalo Exchange and Thredup and other ways companies are making consignment clothing work for the customer and the buyer, their plan was complicated and weird, plus, they made, like, no money. I guess dropping Silicon Valley buzzwords gets you investors in San Francisco but it didn't fool the sharks. And the name--they couldn't even defend it. I don't often agree with Kevin's meanest barbs, but in this case, the product is a dog that needs to be put down, and those two girls are cockroaches, business-wise.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I never did it when I had a pickup, but I have seen it done.  Usually, most people just use a large plastic sheet/tarp to serve as a pool liner to keep the water from leaking out.  I don't know if they would buy a special liner to fit in the bed of the truck for $200.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

She's the one who peed in a diaper during her first stint on ANTM.  She absolutely did not deserve to win the All-Stars version.  She's a fruitcake.  I was hoping none of the sharks would give her an offer.

3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I can see it selling like hot cakes where I live.  Lots of pickup trucks, not so many swimming pools, and it gets hot enough in the summer that even a shallow truck bed full of cool water would be a relief.

7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I never did it when I had a pickup, but I have seen it done.  Usually, most people just use a large plastic sheet/tarp to serve as a pool liner to keep the water from leaking out.  I don't know if they would buy a special liner to fit in the bed of the truck for $200.

I think if they could get the price below $100, it would be a winner, though.

1 hour ago, Silly Angel said:

i howled when I saw her and her stupid, humiliating feedbags with their cheaply made plastic emitting toxins into the little kids' food. It's such an American product. Snack all day! Eat on the go! In the car! On the playground! During playdates! On the toilet! Never wait to stuff your face or show up for structured mealtimes, just cram it in any old time.

I mean, I get that having snacks on hand for kids is useful, and there is something to be said for snacking on healthy stuff throughout the day rather than having a couple of big, calorie-laden meals, but moms have managed that for decades without some special bib-like thing.  Most of them use plastic baggies, and it seems to work just fine.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

She's the one who peed in a diaper during her first stint on ANTM.  She absolutely did not deserve to win the All-Stars version.  She's a fruitcake.  I was hoping none of the sharks would give her an offer.

I can see it selling like hot cakes where I live.  Lots of pickup trucks, not so many swimming pools, and it gets hot enough in the summer that even a shallow truck bed full of cool water would be a relief.

I mean, I get that having snacks on hand for kids is useful, and there is something to be said for snacking on healthy stuff throughout the day rather than having a couple of big, calorie-laden meals, but moms have managed that for decades without some special bib-like thing.  Most of them use plastic baggies, and it seems to work just fine.

Yup, my kids use these guys just fine.

And my 5 year old would rather die than wear that cheesy looking bib. 

93878B8F-DCCD-4C03-A9FB-A241930C6A43.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm curious how one gets the water out of the pick up pool before driving away. That thing would be a great seller at Country Jam type events in the summer.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jillybean said:

What on earth did she land on, a soldering iron? A Marvel comics laboratory? I used to be a gymnast and never had an injury that looked like THAT. 

• LOL 1

I was soooo glad that those idiots from Silkroll were brought down a notch, or four, especially the beatdown by Mark on their crap use of Silicon Valley buzz words.  But obviously they learned nothing, given their ending comments that the confusion in their message came from having to answer random Shark questions left and right.

Really liked Pickup Pool guy, and hope it's a success.  And I would looove to visit one of those waffle places if they expand to the east coast!

Lisa D'Amato and her product, no.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, basiltherat said:

How did we ever survive without all these gadgets to raise our kids for us?  Now, if someone wants to invent something to change the diaper for you, I'll invest in THAT!

It was just another of the Mother Thinks She Has Revolutionized Childcare products. Most of those we have seen aren't worth the money you'd spend on them (the pacifier holder thing, the car seat cover/shopping cart cover/swing cover thing, the place mat thing, the car seat handle thing, the baby straightjacket thing, the elephant medicine dropper thing,  etc., etc.). I don't know why the sharks invest in that crap and try to convince people they need to waste their money buying it.

• Love 3

Sorry...  "SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!!!!"

The clothes ladies were ridiculous but I understood how they wanted to actually make money.  I wouldn't have invested in their company in a million years because their valuation was INSANE!!!  Just because X amount of "money" funnels through your website does not make it capital.  And in the end, I don't think either lady has a clue as to why they didn't get a deal.  Their exit interview was laughable.

Lisa D'Amato always aggravates me.  Hated her on ANTM.  Hated her shortness with Kevin that she tried to play off as good natured teasing.  You don't know Kevin, stop trying to be cute and just sell your damn company.  Then she starts bawling about bulemia and whatnot.  I guess we're supposed to be impressed by her tenaciousness and moxie?  Uh, no.  It came off as "my sob story, ohhhhhhhh, my tough life...give me money".  Kinda like the woman selling expensive dresses to remind her to play with her kids because her mom was an addict.  People going on ST, please stop with the sob stories.  They generally make you a laughing stock and we, the viewers, are rarely sucked in.

Oh yeah.  Loved the Press guys.  That's a product I could get behind.  And $8 for one of those?  Would be totally worth the money.  Well priced, interesting product sold in an interesting venue.  I think it'll be a winner.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

People going on ST, please stop with the sob stories.  They generally make you a laughing stock and we, the viewers, are rarely sucked in.

Exactly. It has now become obligatory to have a hard-luck story to lament over. Some of these people are really grasping at straws to come up with something that they think will qualify. It is a lot like the contestant profiles on American Ninja Warrior. "I/my wife/my child/my mother/my best friend from kindergarten/my grandmother's second cousin nearly died/actually died and now I have to run an obstacle course to cope with the PTSD." 

Edited by eel2178
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm curious how one gets the water out of the pick up pool before driving away.

I went to their website to see what it was about, and one video looked like there was a drain you could open to let the water out.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I went to their website to see what it was about, and one video looked like there was a drain you could open to let the water out.

I think he even said you don't have to put the tailgate down to drain it!

• Love 3

The magic of this episode for me was the appearance of all long-term sharks (although Daymond wasn't there) and no guest sharks hawking their companies.  

I liked the pick-up pool and think a lot of people would buy it.  I think Lori would have done well with it on QVC.  Would definitely try one of the waffles, but wonder how much long-term demand there will be unless they broaden their menus or something.

Once again we get the "they didn't understand" defense as that's the route the Silkroll women took instead of entertaining any idea that they might be wrong and that they company isn't worth a bazillion dollars.

And for Lisa "I'm from a reality t.v. background" and her feed bag bib?  Pffttt.  Even when demonstrating the bib, it didn't seem like it would hold up very well.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

The magic of this episode for me was the appearance of all long-term sharks (although Daymond wasn't there) and no guest sharks hawking their companies.  

I liked the pick-up pool and think a lot of people would buy it.  I think Lori would have done well with it on QVC.  Would definitely try one of the waffles, but wonder how much long-term demand there will be unless they broaden their menus or something.

Once again we get the "they didn't understand" defense as that's the route the Silkroll women took instead of entertaining any idea that they might be wrong and that they company isn't worth a bazillion dollars.

And for Lisa "I'm from a reality t.v. background" and her feed bag bib?  Pffttt.  Even when demonstrating the bib, it didn't seem like it would hold up very well.

This.  Episodes with all the original Sharks (even sans Daymond) are always the best. They have completely overdone the gimmick of the guest Sharks. Though if they want to bring back Troy Carter I’m fine with that.  Mr Sarahsmile and I always get a kick out of him lol

• Love 3

This really showed how  much better the show is with the real sharks, and not those "guest sharks" there to hawk themselves and their businesses.  I liked how they laughed uproariously, I think in the Silkroll presentation.  They have a great dynamic.

Liked the waffle guys, and I would totally go for a waffle, although probably only once.  Food halls are springing up all over, and I think that is the prefect product for that.  People don't go to those venues for a full meal, so a loaded waffle makes sense.

Also liked the truck pool guy, and am glad he got a deal.  I guess the prior reluctance about investing in a product rather than a company is no longer valid.  I think that could be a successful product, though, and I suppose there are accessories that could be developed.  I'm surprised the guy didn't have his sister with him, sincde it sounds like she's the one actually running the company.

Those dress women were pretty awful.  Terrible business, and I bet they'd be a nightmare to work with. 

That last woman, the reality tv one, was so over the top that I almost couldn't stand watching her.  Hate her sob story, hate the hideous plastic feed bag.  I don't understand why 2 sharks actually offered, and I assume that if the deal goes through, it will be Barbara calling the shots.

MInor thought:  That bee girl is just so adorable, 

• Love 5

The Silkroll women were loony if they thought that was a decent valuation.     There is nothing proprietary or unique about their company, and I didn't like either one of them.

I can't believe Barbara made that deal, that woman will be a nightmare partner.    And whoever said that there is nothing stopping a parent from stuffing that carrier full of junk food was right.    Stop with the sob stories!    

The pickup pool looked like fun, and if they get the price down to $60 the way the inventor wanted to, then I bet he sells a lot of them.    Mark will be a great partner for him.    There was a valve on the bottom to open to drain the water out.   Lori could have sold millions of the pools on QVC.         Where I am, half the people in my neighborhood have pickups, and would love to get something like the pools.   

I loved the waffle idea.    They looked yummy, but due to federal regulations, they will have to put calorie counts on them.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Did she really say her kids names were Daxil and Venice? No clue how she spells those

I heard Davil and Bennet...I like yours better.  Although Daxil  sounds like a new wonder drug for some disease or condition I didn’t know I should be freaked out about having, but should be asking my doctor if Daxil is right for me.

Silkroll (huh???) was a dumb idea pitched by two very unprepared women.  Business-y buzz words and techno-babble is not going to get past  the Sharks.  I was lost once she kept yammering about “points”.  And where did she get her research re. Millennials on average only wear things 3 (??) times?  I am of a different generation, but my stereotype of millennials is 1)  they don’t have a lot of discretionary income to spend on high end fashions,  to be worn only  1-2-3 times and 2) they have more of social consciousness and would be likely to give away or trade unwanted clothing (Savers, Salvation Army, shelters, charities that help folks in recovery get back on their feeet, etc).

Pickup pool was cute, and I could see folks buying them for music festivals, or colleges for tailgating or Greek Week.  I wonder if his fellow servicemen and women (in undisclosed locations) could use one on base?  He could trick out a humvee or a tactical vehicle for sure!

I have never wanted a waffle more in my life. I was drooling and woke up craving a real Belgian waffle like I had in Brussels 4 years ago. OMG.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I'm surprised the guy didn't have his sister with him, sincde it sounds like she's the one actually running the company.

Those dress women were pretty awful.  Terrible business, and I bet they'd be a nightmare to work with. 

Yes.  This.  

I was wondering why she wasn't there if she worked with her brother and basically took over when he deployed.  I think she maybe should've been there instead of his best friend from college.  

Hope there was a good reason she was absent.

Edited by Destiny74
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I heard Davil and Bennet...I like yours better.  Although Daxil  sounds like a new wonder drug for some disease or condition I didn’t know I should be freaked out about having, but should be asking my doctor if Daxil is right for me.

Hilarious, Busy. Nice writing. Mic drop.

• Love 7

The pickup pool brought back so many memories. We used to just back the truck down a boat ramp into the river to fill up the bed. Then would drive around with us in it sloshing around. Lasted about 15 min before it emptied. Small town living was a blast. 

If they can get the price down I can see it being a niche winner. There were 3 million NEW pickups sold in the US last year alone. 

I really want to try those waffles. Smart guys, good presentation. 

Hated the silk women. 

Thought the bib was ok but didnt like her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Although they did not specify, I believe the Press guys are selling Liege Waffles. They are a specific type of waffle using a heavier batter. I have a special iron to make them but I'd go to a shop and buy one in a heartbeat.....they are very time consuming to make at home. 

Silkroll....I got a headache listening to them, they made swapping clothes into an overly intricate ordeal. 

Pickup pool guy could sell a million of those in my state. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Oh yeah.  Loved the Press guys.  That's a product I could get behind.  And $8 for one of those?  Would be totally worth the money.  Well priced, interesting product sold in an interesting venue.  I think it'll be a winner.

It was $8 for one waffle.  I guess it would be worth it if I were buying it as a lunch.  To me, $8 for a "dessert" in a food court is a little high.  But, I did buy a waffle just like this on a food truck in NYC.  I think it was less than $8, but I honestly don't remember.  It was very delicious though. 

13 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Liked the waffle guys, and I would totally go for a waffle, although probably only once.  Food halls are springing up all over, and I think that is the prefect product for that.  People don't go to those venues for a full meal, so a loaded waffle makes sense.

I don't know this for sure, but I think Quincy Market (built in 1826) was the first food hall so I knew exactly what they were talking about.  I really like Quincy Market, even though it's wall-to-wall people.  I could see these selling there. I just checked the directory and I'm surprised there isn't already a waffle place in there.  

13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the waffle idea.    They looked yummy, but due to federal regulations, they will have to put calorie counts on them.    

Do they, though?  I don't think food places in food courts/food trucks/food halls put the calories.  I see it occasionally, but I think those are the places touting to be healthy.  But, I may also have just overlooked it if they do indeed need to be on all menu items. 

1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

Although they did not specify, I believe the Press guys are selling Liege Waffles. They are a specific type of waffle using a heavier batter. I have a special iron to make them but I'd go to a shop and buy one in a heartbeat.....they are very time consuming to make at home. 

Yes, I believe they are also selling Liege Waffles which are not new or unique at all.  A lot of food trucks are doing this and probably also some brick and mortar places.  The only thing "unique" about it is, I think, getting into the food halls.  I hate when an "entrepreneur" tries to say their item is unique (like Goat Yoga) when it absolutely is not.  Just because the Sharks don't know about it doesn't make it unique. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

It was $8 for one waffle.  I guess it would be worth it if I were buying it as a lunch.  To me, $8 for a "dessert" in a food court is a little high.  But, I did buy a waffle just like this on a food truck in NYC.  I think it was less than $8, but I honestly don't remember.  It was very delicious though. 

I thought it was a dessert I would share between two or three people.  It looked huge.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

I thought it was a dessert I would share between two or three people.  It looked huge.

Ha!  That makes more sense.  I admit, when we got a similar one in NYC, we each had our own. 😉

On the Great Food Truck Race a few season ago, there was a Waffle truck that sold those, and they looked yummy.    The brothers who ran it were from Utah, and they still have two or three Waffle trucks, so it's a sustainable business if it's done correctly.       I think the waffles from the show will be a big seller.  

15 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Also liked the truck pool guy, and am glad he got a deal.  I guess the prior reluctance about investing in a product rather than a company is no longer valid.  I think that could be a successful product, though, and I suppose there are accessories that could be developed.  I'm surprised the guy didn't have his sister with him, sincde it sounds like she's the one actually running the company.

It depends on the day with the Sharks. They are so inconsistent.

• Love 2
On 3/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, proserpina65 said:

I'm so glad you guys remembered the diaper thing. I watched that season a million years ago and my immediate response upon seeing her was to think of a diaper, but I couldn't remember the context. 

I honestly didn't even realize the thing was a bib at first (my mind was probably still in diaper land 😉 ), I was trying to figure out how the hell someone was standing there basically pitching Tupperware in 2019. 

Even with the bib portion, I still don't see the appeal. I can see a kid balking at wearing it and I also just don't see the need. Do kids really need food attached to their bodies at all times? Most of the time I see kids eating on the go, they're in a stroller with food on a tray or Mom has a plastic bag of something in her bag. 

It appears that Barbara made the deal on the sob story alone, which I'm also tired of seeing. These Sharks are not actors, their attempts to elicit the sob story that's clearly listed on the paper in front of them are not in any way natural. 

The Silkroll and Pick-up Pools pitches were a beautiful illustration of the Dos and Don'ts of pitching. It's unfortunate that not all people are naturally likable or naturally salespeople, but I don't know if there's a workaround for pitching when you're the brains of the operation and not necessarily the best frontman.

The idea of Silkroll is a potential germ of a larger/better idea that could end up being something significant with a bit more tweaking. I mean, who in 2004 thought a site that basically functioned as a virtual yearbook/daily journal of people's lives would end up making billions, but Facebook is beyond a household name. So the next big thing could come from anywhere and they're not wrong about the consignment store issue. 

But their pitch was awful and they didn't have the personalities to turn it around. By contrast, Pick-up Pools is a novelty idea with a limited scope, but the guy was an effortless pitchman. No defensiveness, just enough humor, and a decent backstory with his military service and commitments. 

Do they, though?  I don't think food places in food courts/food trucks/food halls put the calories.  I see it occasionally, but I think those are the places touting to be healthy.  But, I may also have just overlooked it if they do indeed need to be on all menu items. 

I don't think so. Packaged foods, yes, but I don't think food courts and trucks have that regulation. I see it a lot on restaurant menus, but not always and I've rarely, if ever, seen it on a food truck menu. 

It was refreshing to see the waffle guys come out talking about butter and sugar pearls and decadence and whipped cream. Made a nice change from vegan, gluten-free, keto, no-carb garbage products that glut this show.

As soon as they started talking, I said "countdown to Lori commenting about how she only eats healthy or whatever" and right on cue, she mentions her no-carb diet. Not that I'm knocking a healthy diet, but I always tend to side-eye people who have to bring up their healthy eating habits in any conversation that involves food. I always imagine those people hiding out in their bathrooms scarfing junk food in secret. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

According to IMDB their names are Daxel Vaughn and Venice Sire.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I think they have to have the calorie info available if someone asks, but don't need to display them. I worked at a Baskin Robbins in high school and they showed me a clipboard behind the counter to show when that happened. And, yes, there were people who asked about calories at Baskin Robbins. So I don't believe those guys really didn't know the calorie info, but I agree with their point that people don't go to a place like a waffle shop when they want a low-calorie meal.

6 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

It appears that Barbara made the deal on the sob story alone, which I'm also tired of seeing. These Sharks are not actors, their attempts to elicit the sob story that's clearly listed on the paper in front of them are not in any way natural. t in their bathrooms scarfing junk food in secret. 

I think the producers tell them to ask about someone's background when they think it is a good story. Notice the Shark's never ask that when the person doesn't have a sob story.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I think the producers tell them to ask about someone's background when they think it is a good story. Notice the Shark's never ask that when the person doesn't have a sob story.

They definitely do, the Sharks always have that info in front of them already and somebody is supposed to ask if the person doesn't offer it up (same for American Idol and other shows like this). But the Sharks are especially ham-fisted about it, so it always comes off as really inauthentic.

I really liked the waffle guys, they were personable enough to make a good pitch, but they also seemed very well-informed about their business and their vision. 

I also liked that they turned down Robert's weird, open-ended offer (and Kevin and Mark's) and held out for Barbara. A. because from reading about the ratio of deals that don't close, it seems like Robert is the one most likely to back out and B. because I feel like so often, the female Sharks get passed over in favor of male Sharks for no particular business/money reasons, but possibly because they're female. Especially when it comes to a woman vs Mark Cuban, I feel like male inventors typically choose Mark even if his deal is worse or he has less experience. 

So I don't believe those guys really didn't know the calorie info, but I agree with their point that people don't go to a place like a waffle shop when they want a low-calorie meal.

Agreed. Plus, they're smart to not offer that info unless asked, I know that I have often changed my order in a restaurant when I note the calorie info next to it. If they made that readily available on their menu, I'm sure a lot of people would reconsider. Out of sight, out of mind. 

Edited by ljenkins782
13 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I didn't think the waffle itself was very large. Liege waffles usually aren't huge, and the examples they showed just seemed to have 3 inches in height of whipped cream on top.

I mean, I love me some liege waffles, but I have plenty of places I can go get them around here. These guys are as unique as the next cupcake business showing up on the show. They might be financially viable given the model they're using, but the product itself is not some special new unheard of thing.

Also the calorie count posting law (here at least) has a minimum number of locations. It's not about whether it's food halls or trucks. I don't remember if they said how many stores/stalls they have so far? But also this varies widely by state and city.

13 hours ago, meandyouzz said:

I'm confused: don't you have fancy waffle places in the U.S.? they are all over Asia.

There are some, yes. Most are actually pancake houses that also offer waffles. But most of the ones I've been to don't seem as gourmet as these guys are going for.

• Love 1

These aren't really all that gourmet. I think it's more so that there's a specific type of waffle, called a liege waffle, which is from Belgium and is generally a yeasted dough with pearl sugar, which is what these guys are peddling. These are available in the US in many places. I often see them at Asian dessert shops or Boba shops, or at waffle shops owned by actual Belgian people. They're available but not as common or well known.

The waffles that are generally sold in America under the name "Belgian Waffles" are not at all the same thing. Those are usually just American style waffles, batterwise, except the depth of the squares is deeper and larger than what I'll call "regular" waffles for lack of better term, which are more like Eggos in terms of the size of the divets. (Is there a technical term for the squares in a waffle?) Both "Belgian" waffles and regular waffles are very frequently found at pancake houses or other chain breakfast restaurants in the US. Whereas the chain Bruxie specializes in liege waffles, but other than that I can't think of major chains that serve liege waffles.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Barbara said her husband left her for her sister ? But when I looked her up on Wikipedia , it says she’s been married since 1988. I’m assuming she was joking ? Lol . I don’t know anything about these people . 

• Love 1

Wasn't Lisa D'Amato also on Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew ....or am I thinking of another "top model." Also, Lisa only won All Stars cuz the girl who really won got into trouble with producers, so they reshot the ending and picked someone else. 

When the Silicon Valley women of Silkroll was pitching, it reminded me of Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos infamy.