Type keyword(s) to search

Workin Moms - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:
  Hide contents

I'm watching more out of habit than anything else, and my wife likes it. I can't believe they passed on the opportunity to show us at least brief clips of Nathan Jr with Barb's kids. That could have been really funny. Instead we got more of Jenny's stupid fake marriage to save a job she doesn't even seem to like. Plus I haven't watched from the beginning, was Anne always a terrible therapist? Although I do think her daughter talking to people could be funny. Also Sloane still sucks.

Spoiler

Anne was always a shitty therapist. She needs a new job.  I agree with you about Jenny AND Sloane. I wonder why Jenny is still featured as she doesn't have any interaction with the group or even Val.  

• Love 1

One of the reasons I don't watch it much anymore is they have replaced the likable characters on the show like; Frankie, Lionel and Nathan (roles reduced) for really unlikeable characters such as Sloane and Jenny (increasing role). Anne used to be my favorite and they have made her chronically unlikeable and at times just mean.

When shows rely on humor and if most of the cast is unlikeable there is not a lot of funny. Working Moms is really funny anymore and there are fewer likeable characters to enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2022 at 7:26 PM, juno said:

One of the reasons I don't watch it much anymore is they have replaced the likable characters on the show like; Frankie, Lionel and Nathan (roles reduced) for really unlikeable characters such as Sloane and Jenny (increasing role). Anne used to be my favorite and they have made her chronically unlikeable and at times just mean.

When shows rely on humor and if most of the cast is unlikeable there is not a lot of funny. Working Moms is really funny anymore and there are fewer likeable characters to enjoy.

Spoiler

In a way I agree with you. I miss Lionel and Nathan storyline with his long lost son is meh.

I can't stand Jenny or Sloane and I cannot believe that the lab tech jerked her off.

Next week it looks like Alice bit more than she can chew with playing therapist as one of Anne's patients is pretty cuckoo. 

• Love 1
On 2/23/2022 at 7:17 PM, greekmom said:
  Reveal spoiler

In a way I agree with you. I miss Lionel and Nathan storyline with his long lost son is meh.

I can't stand Jenny or Sloane and I cannot believe that the lab tech jerked her off.

Next week it looks like Alice bit more than she can chew with playing therapist as one of Anne's patients is pretty cuckoo. 

Spoiler

I feel like if Anne was slightly less awful and mean to people, her patients getting along better with her daughter would be kind of interesting.

Also the thing with the ultrasound tech getting Sloan off was a terrible combination of stupid and gross.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2022 at 7:01 PM, greekmom said:
On 1/29/2022 at 4:40 PM, Starchild said:

Why are we spoilering aired episodes?

they have not aired in the US.

That seems stupid. Are British shows spoiler-tagged until they air in the U.S.? 

I wonder why Anne almost always wears white?

Edited by Shermie

Yeah I think it's weird too. It may never air in the US if Netflix decides to drop it. If it's not a US show we should be able to talk about it openly when it airs in its home country.

Anyway

Spoiler

I have to wonder how Anne ever became a therapist, or was ever able to support herself as one. She seems so tone deaf to other people's feelings.

• Love 1

Sorry I was trying to be respectful with people.  It's sometimes damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Anyhoo.... just to be on the safe side:

Spoiler
Spoiler

The fact that Charlie is obsessed with Nathan Jr's mom and death is disturbing. The kid needs therapy - and not Anne.

Also, why is Jenny so gung ho in getting married?  Is it to save her job?  I mean the guy isn't a prize.  Neither is she.

Well that came out of left field

Spoiler

I know they showed Kate and Anne giving each other bad advice a couple of times this season, but how they made the leap from that to "breaking up" baffles me. Isn't that essentially saying "you're the problem"? Or at least, you're a significant part of the problem? Not buying that.

I did like Sloane's decision to "promote" the mentee out of the country (sorry can't recall her name).

And I really do hope Anne grows from this; Lionel is 100% right.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Starchild said:

Well that came out of left field

Hide contents

I know they showed Kate and Anne giving each other bad advice a couple of times this season, but how they made the leap from that to "breaking up" baffles me. Isn't that essentially saying "you're the problem"? Or at least, you're a significant part of the problem? Not buying that.

I did like Sloane's decision to "promote" the mentee out of the country (sorry can't recall her name).

And I really do hope Anne grows from this; Lionel is 100% right.

I agree.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I dont understand how they went from Kate's issues and Anne's issues to that they are toxic together and need time apart.  

Sloane's approach to her mentee was great.  As well as Jenny breaking it off with Malcom and quitting.  

Glad that Anne's rage helped Alice with the stalker.  Maybe Alice needs to start acting like a little girl instead of an adult.

• Love 1

Holy shit

Spoiler

At the end there it was starting to feel like a series finale. Everyone happy (except that weird thing with Jenny joining Goldie's pyramid scheme, OF COURSE)

And then BANG, Chekov's stalker goes off like a rocket. Wow.

General observation: of all the shows I have watched, this one has dialogue written closest to the way real people actually talk. IMO

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It felt more like a series finale instead of a season finale 

Spoiler

I'm wondering if Val and Sloane are coming back next season?!?!

Glad Nathan jr. chose to live with Kate/Nathan instead of his aunt.

Finally Anne realized she has anger issues. I wonder if it's steaming from her ex husband Brad. No mention of him.  Anne didn't seem like she had any issues prior to being married to a controlling ass like Brad.  

And all is well, till nutso ex patient decides to off herself infront of Anne.  She must have been stalking her.

WTF is Jenny doing selling MLM?!?!? 

22 hours ago, greekmom said:

It felt more like a series finale instead of a season finale 

Reveal spoiler

I'm wondering if Val and Sloane are coming back next season?!?!

Glad Nathan jr. chose to live with Kate/Nathan instead of his aunt.

Finally Anne realized she has anger issues. I wonder if it's steaming from her ex husband Brad. No mention of him.  Anne didn't seem like she had any issues prior to being married to a controlling ass like Brad.  

And all is well, till nutso ex patient decides to off herself infront of Anne.  She must have been stalking her.

WTF is Jenny doing selling MLM?!?!? 

Is that how you saw it?

Spoiler

I thought Heather had actually hit Anne with her car. I hope there's another season to show us what happened.

I was cool on Nathan Jr's insertion into the series, but I like him now, so yay for staying.

As for Jenny, just another in a long line of poor life decisions, I guess.

On 3/9/2022 at 11:05 PM, Starchild said:

Yeah I think it's weird too. It may never air in the US if Netflix decides to drop it. If it's not a US show we should be able to talk about it openly when it airs in its home country.

Anyway

Reveal spoiler

I have to wonder how Anne ever became a therapist, or was ever able to support herself as one. She seems so tone deaf to other people's feelings.

Season 6 comes to Netflix on May 10

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

Is that how you saw it?

Hide contents

I thought Heather had actually hit Anne with her car. I hope there's another season to show us what happened.

I was cool on Nathan Jr's insertion into the series, but I like him now, so yay for staying.

As for Jenny, just another in a long line of poor life decisions, I guess.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I actually thought that Heather committed suicide infront of Anne by ramming her car in a pole. I just rewatched the scene and maybe she did strike Anne or even Alice?!  How far from her house was Anne? But it did seem that Heather was a good distance that Anne could have gotten off the road in time.

I really disliked Nathan Jr at the start but he grew on me.

Jenny - yeah I agree with you. The woman is just a mess of bad decisions. I do miss her ex husband. Really liked his storyline. 

• Love 1
Spoiler

I also got the impression she hit Anne with her car. I had the captions turned on and it said something like [thud] [glass shatters].

This episode really would have been an ideal series finale…until those last thirty seconds or so.

Edited by Pamela
  • Love 3

I agree that the ep felt like a series finale, with the music and the flowing “look where we landed” scenes of all the characters. Until the last 30 seconds.

And I agree with Starchild’s interpretation of that final scene. If Anne witnessed something, she’d still be talking to Kate or screaming or whatever. 

• Love 3

Yes, it's bad when Alice admits she didn't go to her mother with her concerns about Heather because Anne frightens her, but why was it she couldn't go to her father?  It was the same thing when Kate was struggling to parent with Nathan Jr.  Why is it that Nathan was essentially allowed to check out? 

I did appreciate Jenny showing actual growth at the end of the season, walking away from a toxic relationship and remembering she has a child.

And is it just a Canadian thing that a pregnant woman regularly sees an ultrasound tech during her pregnancy than a doctor?  I thought it was strange Sloane seemed to be getting advice from the tech about her iron levels and keeping up her appointments. 

• Love 1
On 5/14/2022 at 11:21 PM, txhorns79 said:

And is it just a Canadian thing that a pregnant woman regularly sees an ultrasound tech during her pregnancy than a doctor?  I thought it was strange Sloane seemed to be getting advice from the tech about her iron levels and keeping up her appointments. 

Sloane was just looking for excuses to see the ultrasound tech. But yes, in Canada a pregnant woman gets an ultrasound a few times during each pregnancy, in addition to regular checkups. Usually the doctor would decide and schedule the ultrasounds. I only had one back in the ‘80s and ‘90s, but I think they do 2-4 now. It’s not like we have to pay for them.

• Love 1

Still can't stand Sloane and Jenny. They bring nothing to the show. Just nasty characters that are crappy to everyone around them. Seem out of place on this show as they don't have anything to do with the main characters.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, juno said:

Still can't stand Sloane and Jenny. They bring nothing to the show. Just nasty characters that are crappy to everyone around them. Seem out of place on this show as they don't have anything to do with the main characters.

Agree with you on Jenny.  Sloanehas kind of grown on me with the relationship with the ultrasound tech guy.

I get the storyline on Seedless but it's stupid and they need to move on.

• Like 1

The way Kate and her client questioned each other about their spouses has me worried something is going to start between them.

And I have to say I'm not enjoying the stereotypical jokes re: the product's side effects.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Starchild said:

The way Kate and her client questioned each other about their spouses has me worried something is going to start between them.

And I have to say I'm not enjoying the stereotypical jokes re: the product's side effects.

I felt the same way with Anne and the guy from group therapy.

As soon as Lionel left the top open after feeding Tula I knew it would get out.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, juno said:

Sloane is super annoying and I still can't buy that the Canadian publishing industry is big enough where an executive at a publisher can be like she is. Jenny is slightly less annoying and I miss when the father of her kid was part of the show. Actually I kind of miss in general how the parents would interact at the baby group. Now it is just like 3-4 separate stories. 

Also the various pitches for the birth control pill were very stupid. Especially since in Canada at least direct market of prescription drugs to consumers isn't really a thing. Plus why were they shooting the commercial in Kate's office?

• Like 2

Workin' Moms - Season 7 Episode 4 - Funny Business

Just putting the title in to keep on track.

Really funny episode. Kate and the zombie vibrator was absolutely hilarious. More Kate and Anne please.

No Sloane so I was happy, but I cannot find any reason to throw Jenny in this episode. Complete waste of time and adds no value to this show. I don't feel bad for her or care about her.

• Like 1

It was icky watching them laugh at each other being next door to cheating. Weren't they promising just before the car attack to keep each other from going off the rails? I can understand Anne's trauma having her act out like this, but not sure where it's coming from with Kate.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, juno said:

Workin' Moms - Season 7 Episode 4 - Funny Business

Just putting the title in to keep on track.

Really funny episode. Kate and the zombie vibrator was absolutely hilarious. More Kate and Anne please.

No Sloane so I was happy, but I cannot find any reason to throw Jenny in this episode. Complete waste of time and adds no value to this show. I don't feel bad for her or care about her.

The zombie vibrator was cringe. Nice to see Donald MacLean Jr. (hey Wolf!) back. Him and Juniper referring to Kate as their "hot Mom" was cringe as well.   Kate just needs to stay away from any suggestion Rosie has had. They are ALL BAD!  

Jenny's flashback was interesting.  I wonder why her mother didn't just set Jenny up in an entry level position so she can work her way up in the company she was running years ago. 

8 hours ago, Starchild said:

It was icky watching them laugh at each other being next door to cheating. Weren't they promising just before the car attack to keep each other from going off the rails? I can understand Anne's trauma having her act out like this, but not sure where it's coming from with Kate.

Agreed. 

I use to LOVE THIS SHOW.  The last few episodes are meh at best or cringe.  

• Like 1

Just finished the season 7 x 6 episode and I got to say that it is one of the worst episodes of the past 7 seasons. Just when I was starting to enjoy this season a bit they really went sideways in this episode.

Kate spending most of the show with the client. Is she going to cheat and if so, why?

Anne, who I have started to enjoy again is in a fairly horrible love triangle with her teen daughter and her client. Who wrote this crap?

Sloane and Jenny still don't care. Still useless characters that bring zero value to this show.

Just garbage.

• Like 1

I haven't watched it yet but that is too bad since I watched the previous week's episode and thought it was better. The Val's mom group scene was funny and Sloan doing something outside of work was actually well done. The whole thing about advertising a pharmaceutical product still makes no sense though (especially sponsoring a reality show). Although to be fair I don't really understand the difference between a PR firm and an ad agency in the context of this show at least. Although I am not sure the show does either.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, juno said:

Kate spending most of the show with the client. Is she going to cheat and if so, why?

I was just thinking the same thing. Cheating happens, but the way this particular near-affair is playing out doesn't make any logical sense. Kate's never before shown a tendency for it, and she isn't having any problems with Nathan that would make her consider it. It's just not working for me.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The whole thing about advertising a pharmaceutical product still makes no sense though (especially sponsoring a reality show). 

They're Canadian, but perhaps the ads are for the US market?

On 2/8/2023 at 9:28 AM, Starchild said:

They're Canadian, but perhaps the ads are for the US market?

Maybe, although it would at least be worth a mention I think. Especially since from what I have seen there is a huge difference when it comes to marketing. Anytime I am in the US and turn on a TV in like a hotel if always shocks me how many ads are for prescription drugs. It would actually be kind of interesting to see Kate try to manage the messaging for a drug like a male birth control in a country where you can't market directly to the consumers. But at the same time, this kind of drug would be a huge deal which would get a ton of news coverage, which you would probably want a PR firm to help you navigate (since that would basically be free, legal advertising). 

The only really funny thing was Kate and Alice's stand off before school where Alice had no idea what was going on. Although the Barb stuff was kind of funny in a stupid way. Jenny's plot was useless, and her negotiating at the pawn shop was extra dumb.

It's just gone from bad to worse.  

The 'Lost your virginity' party for Alice where they woke up the next day and didn't know what happened was terrible.  I don't know what Catherine Reitman is thinking.

I knew Ram was bad news.  So basically he drugged them all.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2023 at 9:30 AM, greekmom said:

It's just gone from bad to worse.  

The 'Lost your virginity' party for Alice where they woke up the next day and didn't know what happened was terrible.  I don't know what Catherine Reitman is thinking.

I knew Ram was bad news.  So basically he drugged them all.

That was pretty bad. A crappy bottle episode plus a bad ripoff of The Hangover all at once? The only thing that was funny was when Alice told Anne it wasn't her first time.

Plus I know nothing about drug development and approvals, but is it even possible for a drug to get to the stage where you have a bottle with a slogan on it, when it causes everyone who takes it to blackout for hours?

Also why would Kate invite Jenny to the party but not Rosie. He'll I would have preferred it if Juniper had been there I think.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That was pretty bad. A crappy bottle episode plus a bad ripoff of The Hangover all at once? The only thing that was funny was when Alice told Anne it wasn't her first time.

Plus I know nothing about drug development and approvals, but is it even possible for a drug to get to the stage where you have a bottle with a slogan on it, when it causes everyone who takes it to blackout for hours?

Also why would Kate invite Jenny to the party but not Rosie. He'll I would have preferred it if Juniper had been there I think.

I am glad this show is ending at the end of this season. It should have ended after last season.

They have completely run out of ideas. The show is done.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I must have missed that part. I guess her first was that asshole in Calgary?

10 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The only thing that was funny was when Alice told Anne it wasn't her first time.

"Far from it", even.

10 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Maybe it's only an issue when you don't actually have a migraine? 

Meh, this thing with Kate and Rom just doesn't feel organic.

Also, what did they do to Val this season? Yes she's always been a little over the top, but this season she's essentially a Looney Toons character.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

Meh, this thing with Kate and Rom just doesn't feel organic.

Also, what did they do to Val this season? Yes she's always been a little over the top, but this season she's essentially a Looney Toons character.

I don't know why they would have Kate cheat on Nathan when he cheated it really destroyed her.

I agree with "What the heck did they do to Val!??"  Did they also give her a bigger ass? I'm not body shaming but I have seen pictures of the actress and it looks like they increased her booty for laughs?

On 3/8/2023 at 1:17 PM, Starchild said:

I vaguely recall she had some kind of procedure to get that ass, to increase her attractiveness is some way I forget now. It's intentional.

Now that you mention it... i vaguely recall it myself.

14 hours ago, Starchild said:

Oh man, thank goodness Kate didn't go there.

Yes. Else she would have been a major hypocrite.

Thought it was funny that Lionel got attached to Tula.  Alice should leave her parents as they are too wrapped up in their own issues (btw - who looks after the younger one?)  But I agree with Anne, going to a sheep station in Australia isn't the answer. I think she should take a gap year doing something in Europe or go straight to university somewhere far from Toronto.

Wonder if Jenny is going to find her niche selling food from a food truck? She was always my least favourite mom (followed by Frankie). 

• Like 1