Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
greekmom

Workin Moms

Warm, loyal PR executive Kate and her longtime friend, no-nonsense psychiatrist Anne, attend a judgmental mommies' group, where they meet timid IT tech Jenny and blindly optimistic real estate agent Frankie. The four quickly form an unlikely friendship, sharing struggles of urban motherhood in Toronto filled with the chaos of toddlers, tantrums, careers, and identity crises, all while trying to achieve the holy grail: a sense of self. 

• Like 1

I tried this show and have to say, while its OK, I just don't find it that funny

it has its moments.  It tries, but seems to be one of the shows where it can't figure out if it wants to be a drama or a comedy and tries to take the middle road, thus doing each on a mediocre level and neither particularly well. 

Its not a bad show and its not that I dislike it,  but its just kind of there, nothing special. 

I guess its big in Canada? 

• Like 1

I actually binged watched all seasons this weekend. 1 & 2 ion Netflix and 3 on CBC website.

I won't discuss Season 3 in case Netflix people come lurking and commenting.

I absolutely loved season 1 and 2.  Kate and Anne are my favourite characters.  Jenny is my least favourite. I'm on the fence about Frankie.  Season 3 Frankie for me is better than 1 & 2.

While I do find that they are pretty well off that they can afford private school and nannies, it's still great seeing Toronto overall and I find the situations interesting. 

Cannot wait for season 4.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2019 at 7:41 PM, DrSpaceman said:

I tried this show and have to say, while its OK, I just don't find it that funny

it has its moments.  It tries, but seems to be one of the shows where it can't figure out if it wants to be a drama or a comedy and tries to take the middle road, thus doing each on a mediocre level and neither particularly well. 

Its not a bad show and its not that I dislike it,  but its just kind of there, nothing special. 

I guess its big in Canada? 

I agree with you. It’s just okay. I just finished season 1 and I will watch more when they’re available on Netflix but I don’t absolutely love it. 

It’s nice to see Canada represented in a tv show. And there were mny situations that I could relate to. But there were a lot of things that I can’t relate to. 9 months maternity leave?? I wish. And while there were some money talks every now and then, no one really really seemed to be struggling or at least not talking about it. Not even the couple with the screenwriter husband and the wife who works in a cubicle doing IT. They can’t be making a whole lot of money, but it was never really an issue. I also don’t like how none of these moms were really able to handle work and being a mom. All of them messed up at some point. In the real world, working moms have to suck it up and do our best at work and do our best at home. I know we’re not always successful but you have to try. The last episode of Season 1 where she ran out of a big meeting because her son was sick doesn’t ring true to me. She had been working towards this for so long and had already sacrificed so much. Let your husband and other family handle things for another couple hours while you finish up work, keep you updated via text/phone and then you hop on the first flight you can when you’re done. There’s just no drive to figure out how to make things work in this show, which I think is what drives a lot of us. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 10:26 PM, Smacky55 said:

All of them messed up at some point. In the real world, working moms have to suck it up and do our best at work and do our best at home. I know we’re not always successful but you have to try. The last episode of Season 1 where she ran out of a big meeting because her son was sick doesn’t ring true to me. She had been working towards this for so long and had already sacrificed so much. Let your husband and other family handle things for another couple hours while you finish up work, keep you updated via text/phone and then you hop on the first flight you can when you’re done. There’s just no drive to figure out how to make things work in this show, which I think is what drives a lot of us. 

I thought that whole storyline was very over the top.  A little subtlety would really have made the story a lot stronger instead of reducing the boss lady to a caricature whose professional success only occurred because she checked out of being a parent, or having Kate blow up her promotion because her child was sick. 

I also didn't love how the show treated postpartum depression.  I felt like the writers were unable to decide whether it should be treated as a joke, or something serious. 

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 10:26 PM, Smacky55 said:

It’s nice to see Canada represented in a tv show. And there were mny situations that I could relate to. But there were a lot of things that I can’t relate to. 9 months maternity leave?? I wish. 

Canadians get more leave than the States. Up to 63 weeks but most take 52 weeks.