Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
greekmom

Workin Moms

Warm, loyal PR executive Kate and her longtime friend, no-nonsense psychiatrist Anne, attend a judgmental mommies' group, where they meet timid IT tech Jenny and blindly optimistic real estate agent Frankie. The four quickly form an unlikely friendship, sharing struggles of urban motherhood in Toronto filled with the chaos of toddlers, tantrums, careers, and identity crises, all while trying to achieve the holy grail: a sense of self. 

• Like 2

I tried this show and have to say, while its OK, I just don't find it that funny

it has its moments.  It tries, but seems to be one of the shows where it can't figure out if it wants to be a drama or a comedy and tries to take the middle road, thus doing each on a mediocre level and neither particularly well. 

Its not a bad show and its not that I dislike it,  but its just kind of there, nothing special. 

I guess its big in Canada? 

• Like 2

I actually binged watched all seasons this weekend. 1 & 2 ion Netflix and 3 on CBC website.

I won't discuss Season 3 in case Netflix people come lurking and commenting.

I absolutely loved season 1 and 2.  Kate and Anne are my favourite characters.  Jenny is my least favourite. I'm on the fence about Frankie.  Season 3 Frankie for me is better than 1 & 2.

While I do find that they are pretty well off that they can afford private school and nannies, it's still great seeing Toronto overall and I find the situations interesting. 

Cannot wait for season 4.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2019 at 7:41 PM, DrSpaceman said:

I tried this show and have to say, while its OK, I just don't find it that funny

it has its moments.  It tries, but seems to be one of the shows where it can't figure out if it wants to be a drama or a comedy and tries to take the middle road, thus doing each on a mediocre level and neither particularly well. 

Its not a bad show and its not that I dislike it,  but its just kind of there, nothing special. 

I guess its big in Canada? 

I agree with you. It’s just okay. I just finished season 1 and I will watch more when they’re available on Netflix but I don’t absolutely love it. 

It’s nice to see Canada represented in a tv show. And there were mny situations that I could relate to. But there were a lot of things that I can’t relate to. 9 months maternity leave?? I wish. And while there were some money talks every now and then, no one really really seemed to be struggling or at least not talking about it. Not even the couple with the screenwriter husband and the wife who works in a cubicle doing IT. They can’t be making a whole lot of money, but it was never really an issue. I also don’t like how none of these moms were really able to handle work and being a mom. All of them messed up at some point. In the real world, working moms have to suck it up and do our best at work and do our best at home. I know we’re not always successful but you have to try. The last episode of Season 1 where she ran out of a big meeting because her son was sick doesn’t ring true to me. She had been working towards this for so long and had already sacrificed so much. Let your husband and other family handle things for another couple hours while you finish up work, keep you updated via text/phone and then you hop on the first flight you can when you’re done. There’s just no drive to figure out how to make things work in this show, which I think is what drives a lot of us. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 10:26 PM, Smacky55 said:

All of them messed up at some point. In the real world, working moms have to suck it up and do our best at work and do our best at home. I know we’re not always successful but you have to try. The last episode of Season 1 where she ran out of a big meeting because her son was sick doesn’t ring true to me. She had been working towards this for so long and had already sacrificed so much. Let your husband and other family handle things for another couple hours while you finish up work, keep you updated via text/phone and then you hop on the first flight you can when you’re done. There’s just no drive to figure out how to make things work in this show, which I think is what drives a lot of us. 

I thought that whole storyline was very over the top.  A little subtlety would really have made the story a lot stronger instead of reducing the boss lady to a caricature whose professional success only occurred because she checked out of being a parent, or having Kate blow up her promotion because her child was sick. 

I also didn't love how the show treated postpartum depression.  I felt like the writers were unable to decide whether it should be treated as a joke, or something serious. 

• Like 4

On 3/30/2019 at 10:26 PM, Smacky55 said:

It’s nice to see Canada represented in a tv show. And there were mny situations that I could relate to. But there were a lot of things that I can’t relate to. 9 months maternity leave?? I wish. 

Canadians get more leave than the States. Up to 63 weeks but most take 52 weeks. 

I had forgotten that it was dropping yesterday! I watched the first two episodes of S2 last night and I'm so glad to have this show back. It's nice to have something to watch where the narrative tension doesn't come from people being murdered or raped or tortured.

• Like 4

Just finished Season 2.  I love this show so much.  The last 10 minutes of the last episode? I was in tears...

• Like 1

I just finished the season... how long until Netflix gets the rest? I thought I read somewhere that there are four seasons that have aired in Canada right...? I have GOT to know what happens next!

• Like 1

I enjoy this show even though I'm not a huge fan of any of the main 3 women, is that weird. I think I like the dad that joined to moms group more than any of the other characters on the show. 

On 7/28/2019 at 3:46 PM, Nilo said:

Just finished Season 2.  I love this show so much.  The last 10 minutes of the last episode? I was in tears...

Me too, it made me so sad. Then angry, hopefully there is a season 3 so that we can see the outcome.

• Like 1

I finished the second season.  I still think the show has issues with tone, i.e. that they couldn't seem to settle on whether Anne's ex's harassment and manipulation of his patients was a joke or something to be taken seriously, but I really do enjoy the series as a whole. 

And I did have a mini-freak out when I realized that Sonia (who is Ian's girlfriend who didn't know if she could continue seeing him because of his child) also plays Rita (the Martha in Commander Waterford's house) on The Handmaid's Tale.  I would never have recognized her if not for her voice. 

• Like 2

Me too, it made me so sad. Then angry, hopefully there is a season 3 so that we can see the outcome.

I believe that four seasons have already aired in Canada, so it's just a question of whether Netflix will license it - I hope so. I really love this show.

I just finished season 3 being off, I found it better than the last season for me. I didn't like the camping episode, seemed like a filler, but it was a nice way to pass some of my vacation time.

• Like 1

I finished the third season, and I kind of struggle with this show.  It has moments that feel very real, and other moments that are extremely frustrating just in terms of what they are doing with the characters. 

For example, last season they showed Kate acting in a way that was significantly harming her marriage (i.e. she would make promises to him about how she was going to act going forward, then turn around and renege the moment her promise interfered with her professional life), and the season ended with Kate finding out her husband was cheating.  This season, they act like the only thing wrong with the marriage was that Kate's husband cheated and there is zero talk of any role she played in the situation.  I didn't really care about the love triangle cliffhanger they set up between Kate's new business colleague/lover and her husband.  I mean, the woman has two little kids, it's not like she can realistically just jet off to Cabo on a moment's notice for a sex weekend.   

Then there is Jenny.  She tells her new friends that the father of her child is abusive to make up for her own shortcomings, which is monstrous on its own and goes nowhere.  She also essentially embezzles from her own company to provide him with a short term job to help cover his expenses.  Are we supposed to relate to this?

I will say I did like Anne's storyline with Alice.  Even though Anne obviously wins the award for worst parent of the season for nearly killing someone by bringing a loaded gun into her home and not properly securing it, I did appreciate watching her struggle with Alice.   

Overall, I liked the season, but I do feel like things are are very inconsistent both in terms of tone and character development. 

• Like 2

I feel the same way in regards to those characters. I tell myself it isn't supposed to be realistic but then they do hit some things on the head. Kate to me was the one least realistic. She is adored by all and has more action going on than some college kids! I felt the husband's affair came out of nowhere and although that can happen, they wanted her to be the "good" one and him the "bad" one so her actions would seem okay.

Jenny is completely one dimensional and I assume is supposed to be unlikable. What she did to her ex was horrible and I have a feeling it might be part of an upcoming show if they need a filler. The job thing was very unrealistic but again they seem to not know what to do with her.

I like Anne's story the most and wish they showed more with her daughter. I had a feeling a shoe was being dropped and wish it wouldn't be so long before we see the end result : )   I also relate to her anxiety sadly.

I like Frankie too and I wished they didn't make her friends religion overload so silly. If they played it back a bit it still would have been funny but not stupid. I hope they show more respect on both sides with that.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why they brought Jenny back, tbh - I thought it was much more interesting to explore what happens when a man is the primary caregiver of a young child and how moms end up relating to him and to also acknowledge, without too much drama, that not all women feel super maternal.  

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 5:17 AM, debraran said:

I feel the same way in regards to those characters. I tell myself it isn't supposed to be realistic but then they do hit some things on the head. Kate to me was the one least realistic. She is adored by all and has more action going on than some college kids! I felt the husband's affair came out of nowhere and although that can happen, they wanted her to be the "good" one and him the "bad" one so her actions would seem okay.

Yeah, I don't expect every scenario to be realistic, but I do expect the show to at least exist parallel to reality.   I mean, last season the show made a big deal about sexual harassment, and this season Kate is sleeping with her intern, and it's treated as mostly a joke.  Some of it was pretty funny, but it's also like, what message are we supposed to take away from all this?         

I'm not sure why they brought Jenny back, tbh - I thought it was much more interesting to explore what happens when a man is the primary caregiver of a young child and how moms end up relating to him and to also acknowledge, without too much drama, that not all women feel super maternal.  

I liked that they switched the focus to what it meant to be a single father, and was a little annoyed that was mostly dropped to focus back on Jenny. 

I'd almost say that the decision to split everyone up by ending the mommy group from the first two seasons was a mistake.  Anne and Kate still have a reason to hang out, but Frankie and Jenny are pretty much disconnected from those two.  Though I do like how Val's role has increased.  I really like the character.    

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 2