Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 3/25/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 3/29/2019 at 2:34 PM, bannana said:

Servers can do both.  We always pay with a credit card as do our friends and we calculate the tip into the total and ask the server to split the total equally amongst us.

Sometimes you order a glass thinking that's all you will have and next thing you know you ordered 4 glasses! 🥂

Right. I did know you could give them more than one card for one bill. I was specifically responding to RHJunkie's post wondering if the serves shifted charges to present (say) four evenly divided bills. 

I'm a cash customer at restaurants, unless I didn't plan ahead, in which case I'll put the tab on my debit card. I don't like getting a credit card bill for something that's gone by the time the invoice arrives (ditto gasoline and groceries). I just find cash easier to have on hand, and would rather give servers a cash tip. 

I'm still a little surprised Joy even had to speak up about that lunch tab situation. Ana and Sunny must both be cheap drunks.  I prefer my drunks generous. 

12 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Interesting, it wasn't until the DeVos discussion that I realized that The View is missing a regular ol' middle-class voice at the table.

• The Daughters were raised in wealth with the privilege and fame that goes along with it.
  • Joy was raised in a blue-collar family.
  • Ana was an immigrant whose family really pursued the American Dream.
  • Sunny and Whoopi were both raised in the projects, and worked hard to get where they are now.

They need someone with the upbringing of Debbie Matenopoulos or Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Someone who went to good public schools, someone who didn't have a Porsche in the driveway (maybe a Ford, but Dad aspired to have an Audi), someone that I imagine most of us can identify with. Right now, it's not there.

When Joy grew up (heck, when I grew up, and she's got more than two decades on me) blue collar did not necessarily mean you weren't middle class. That's part of the problem with our economy now -- there aren't as many good blue color jobs. Joy's dad was a truck driver for Coca Cola. I'm sure they weren't rolling in it, but that would have been a solid middle class job. (Joy has said on the show that he did gamble though, so I don't know if that changed their circumstances.) 

I would imagine Nicolle Wallace came from a middle class background, too.  

2 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Check out this Nordstrom ad from 2018 ... and they sold out!  Sorry I made it so larte; I want you to see the price.

DirtySneakers.thumb.jpg.10b91e1457afd29d33475ad7bad4100f.jpg

I really thought that photo was a joke. (It's not.) Wow. If youth is wasted on the young, wealth wasted on the wealthy.  

Now I'm going to have to remember to check out Abby's sneakers. I've noticed that she's been wearing sneakers, but I hadn't noticed their condition. 

I haven't thought her lips look unusually large.  Generally speaking, I think she's a very attractive woman,  but it seems to me she's been wearing red clothes all the damn time, lately. I noticed it one day, then the next day, she and Joy were both wearing red,  and they sit next to each other, so it caught my eye. She had red on on Friday's show too (I think).

Edited by General Days
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, General Days said:

Now I'm going to have to remember to check out Abby's sneakers. I've noticed that she's been wearing sneakers, but I hadn't noticed their condition. 

I hadn't either.  I thought she was wearing shoes that lace because her feet are swelling.  When I was pregnant the first time I worked at the counter at the local state employment office.  Soon the manager didn't want a pregnant woman STANDING there (1966) and instead of giving me a high stool or something, he made me his secretary (he didn't even merit one because of his pay grade).  Sitting really made my feet swell.  I wore 5-1/2AA (in those days) and began wearing size 7 "scuff" slippers to work.  Luckily, I went to an OB appointment one day on my lunch hour and they popped me in to induce early (toxemia!).

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, General Days said:

I just find cash easier to have on hand, and would rather give servers a cash tip. 

My family generally pays by credit card and tips in cash.  Servers in the family have said they prefer that.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

She has said she doesn't know if she ever wants kids, and other times she has said that she doesn't see herself with kids.   But, to me, saying those things, at her age, means she is still figuring out, still toying with the idea of having a child "someday."  she hasn't been adamant about NEVER wanting kids.  I think the number of times she has brought it up might hint that the decision whether or not to have a child has been on her mind. 

She does not believe in what she incorrectly calls "infanticide" when she means abortion, so if her birth control fails, she'll have to give birth.  

She also thinks she can eat whatever she wants because she's already caught her man and had a shotgun wedding for Daddy. MM & the plagiarizer deserve each other, but that does not mean he won't stray.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

If you give the server cash tips it’s easier for them not to get taxed on it.  Can’t hide those credit tips.  It does annoy me when friends went me to pay for their booze or for some reason married people think they count as one instead of two.  I have to budget to enjoy going out.  One restaurant we went to charged $3.00 extra for split checks.  The server said split checks made easy for some to skip out on the bill. 

Megan might be pregnant.  They could explain how emotional she has been.  

• Love 2
On 3/29/2019 at 11:20 AM, Stoned said:

Thank God for Ana for being on today..Ugh STFU Motor mouth Megs..

She was unbearable.  Stupid pompous bitch.  I have no idea why she has such a high opinion of herself.  She's painful to listen to.

And yes, Ana is amazing.  She's everything that Meghan is not.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:30 AM, Haleth said:

Some nonsense about how she doesn’t have the luxury of getting emotional?  And we know why?  I assume this is a veiled reference to dad, but when has she ever not been emotional?  

I had no idea what she actually meant, but she clearly thought we all knew what she was talking about.  I thought she might have been referring to something about being John McCain's daughter and being held to a higher standard than other people because of her esteemed (completely unearned) position.  Ridiculous!  No one expects her to be on any kind of level because of her father's accomplishments (not hers!), and certainly at this point we know for sure that she's actually on a lower level than most when it comes to simple decency and acting like a mature adult.  

And "emotional" is her middle name.  Or first name.  This chick can't ever hold it together, whether it's anger or tears or frustration or shrill, hysterical laughter.  If I ruled The View, one of the reasons I would give for firing her ass is that she's too damn high-strung and far too emotional.  

• Love 17
On 3/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I'm probably a party of one, but I didn't care for the Cher actor.  She veered into drag queen parody/impersonator to me, rather than the typical sinking into the character and portraying the essence of the person,  rather than mimicking them.

I'm so glad you said that.  I see practically everything on Broadway and had planned to go, but now I'm not sure I want to.  I have a thing about people impersonating famous people (I rarely like it), but had heard this show was fabulous and that all 3 of them do a great job.

Stephanie J. Block is very talented and I've seen her in other things, but I reacted to her performance the same way you did.  So I can't say I don't care for her, but I absolutely don't care for her in this role (at least based on what we saw).  I'd be happy to see her in something else.  This show is probably now off my list.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, tribeca said:

Megan might be pregnant.  They could explain how emotional she has been.  

She might or might not be pregnant, but she's always been very emotional.  

To me, it's similar to when people defended her bitchiness and outbursts because her father had just passed away.  My contention was that she was bitchy and screechy long before that.  

I'm pretty certain that this is just who Meghan is.  She's shown us time and time again from the beginning.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

No one expects her to be on any kind of level because of her father's accomplishments (not hers!), and certainly at this point we know for sure that she's actually on a lower level than most when it comes to simple decency and acting like a mature adult.  

And if we did, we'd be sorely disappointed several times during that M-F hour...and her other pundint "appearances."

2 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

To me, it's similar to when people defended her bitchiness and outbursts because her father had just passed away.  My contention was that she was bitchy and screechy long before that.  

Don't know why that reminds me of this: 

6539781_ItchyScratchy.thumb.png.306dc3c689a494e0a2c996df5a98dcf7.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, Lifesabeach said:

Dear God!  I was looking at my iPad at the start of the show and glanced up to a view of Abby not talking and I swear I thought for a second she was wearing those fake wax red lips 

lips GIF

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Found this on the extremely reliable Internet:   Why do women's lips swell during pregnancy?

“During pregnancy the action of hormones means that blood vessels dilate more which can mean that the body retains more fluid in the tissues during pregnancy. “This is often most common in the lower limbs, but can also happen elsewhere for example the fingers, the face and sometimes the lips.

Should it add?  Often when a pregnant woman's lips swell, make-up professionals think it's funny to "lipline" and then apply the reddest lip colours*.  Wardrobe is enhanced by suggesting a dirty sneaker--designer, of course.

*I spelled it that way to be fancy (fahncy).

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Should it add?  Often when a pregnant woman's lips swell, make-up professionals think it's funny to "lipline" and then apply the reddest lip colours*.  Wardrobe is enhanced by suggesting a dirty sneaker--designer, of course.

*I spelled it that way to be fancy (fahncy).

It looks like they choose one attribute of Abby's to accentuate to THE EXTREME.  Now that it's her giant lips, they've toned down the shine serum in her shiny, shiny hair.  At least we have that.  It's the little things to be thankful for.

*And that spelling looks perfectly normal to this Canadian.  😁

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

She might or might not be pregnant, but she's always been very emotional.  

I'm pretty certain that this is just who Meghan is.  She's shown us time and time again from the beginning.

Preach!  I think its Maya Angelou's famous quote (forgive me) 'when someone shows you their face, believe them'. Drop the mic !

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I'm so glad you said that.  I see practically everything on Broadway and had planned to go, but now I'm not sure I want to.  I have a thing about people impersonating famous people (I rarely like it), but had heard this show was fabulous and that all 3 of them do a great job.

Stephanie J. Block is very talented and I've seen her in other things, but I reacted to her performance the same way you did.  So I can't say I don't care for her, but I absolutely don't care for her in this role (at least based on what we saw).  I'd be happy to see her in something else.  This show is probably now off my list.

From what I understand there's three different actresses to play the diff stages of Cher's life.  So she'll only be on stage a third of the time hah

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Tammee said:

Preach!  I think its Maya Angelou's famous quote (forgive me) 'when someone shows you their face, believe them'. Drop the mic !

I actually almost included the exact quote.  😊

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Meghan's been pregnant since 2017?  No wonder she's gained so much weight.

Did MM go with the terrific trio when they had a liquid lunch last week?  Hmmmmmmmmm,......

3 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

I actually almost included the exact quote.  😊

Hah! Gmta!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Tammee said:

From what I understand there's three different actresses to play the diff stages of Cher's life.  So she'll only be on stage a third of the time hah

Yes, I did mention in my post that Cher is played by three actresses.   But what I saw doesn’t make me hopeful about the production in general.   Stephanie J Block’s performance, IMO, wasn’t so much about her but rather about the way she’s been directed and the tone of the show.  

So I’ve lost interest, and I’m actually glad I got this glimpse..  Give me real Cher any day!  😊

• Love 1
22 hours ago, General Days said:

daaaaaaaaaaaam... I've had a closet full of sneaker haute contour (Again, please forgive) all of these years and not known it! Lol

• LOL 3
22 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

Yes, I did mention in my post that Cher is played by three actresses.   But what I saw doesn’t make me hopeful about the production in general.   Stephanie J Block’s performance, IMO, wasn’t so much about her but rather about the way she’s been directed and the tone of the show.  

So I’ve lost interest, and I’m actually glad I got this glimpse..  Give me real Cher any day!  😊

Ita!  They just announced her dates for Denver.  She's doing a couple nights I Believe (hah!) Crack myself up this morning here I'm starting to worry!

• LOL 2
26 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

Yes, you did 😸 I'm sorry, sometimes I tell myself I'm just the font of new information first on the scene.  Not.  Hah. 

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

And I've wondered why it's ok to shame people with money when it isn't ok to shame those without?  Shaming anyone is wrong no matter if they're born wealthy or not.

I agree that shaming somebody just for their wealth is wrong. Where I differ is that, to me, what happened on Friday's show wasn't somebody being shamed simply for being rich. Ana and Joy were shaming DeVos for persecuting the poor and those in need while knowing she and hers won't be the ones affected by her actions because she's rich.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:
3 hours ago, Tammee said:

Surely, you mean Ms. Angelou.

Whoa, Baby!   Don't you mean Honorary DOCTOR Angelou?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

*And that spelling looks perfectly normal to this Canadian.  😁

I thought of you when I typed it.  Somehow the Canadian spelling doesn't seem as fancy as the British.  Smite me!

• LOL 3
20 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

Whoa, Baby!   Don't you mean Honorary DOCTOR Angelou?

Hehehe I thought about that while I was typing it, how to refer to her as. I ended up with the tried and true lol

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Tammee said:

daaaaaaaaaaaam... I've had a closet full of sneaker haute contour (Again, please forgive) all of these years and not known it! Lol

Contour?  Dam spell correct. AND it went Canadian heeheehee

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Well to play DA for a little while,  let's say she is preggers. How come nothing has been announced? Not wanting to rain on Abbys parade?dealing with her life decisions and options, but I think she would be more, let's say distracted, at the table.  Plus you'd think someone would let something slip, a low comment at the right moment.  The more I ponder it, I don't think she is.  I don't have an answer for the no drinkee lunch though.  Now watch, if she comes Monday and makes an announcement I'll scream or something. Don't know.

• Love 4

I had to come out of lurkdom to say that with all the pregnancy speculation about Meghan, I'm surprised nobody noticed that a week or so ago, the camera cut to her just as she put both hands on her belly like pregnant woman do, then she quickly moved them away when she realized it. I started to really suspect it then, and now with everyone else's observations I think she is pregnant. With all the crying she does, it won't compare to the crying that child will do when it finds out what it's mother is like!  :) 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Dr. Angelou (although Honorary), Ms. Angelou, Ms. Maya certainly lacked class in the enounter with a (probably nervous) young woman asking the question at a large gathering.   Did anyone chastise her?  Did she reconsider her comments?  I doubt it.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree that shaming somebody just for their wealth is wrong. Where I differ is that, to me, what happened on Friday's show wasn't somebody being shamed simply for being rich. Ana and Joy were shaming DeVos for persecuting the poor and those in need while knowing she and hers won't be the ones affected by her actions because she's rich.

My recollection is that Ana/Joy, one of them, was saying why the heck does she want to be a Cabinet Minister dealing with this when she is stupid rich.  She should just go and enjoy her many yachts.  I personally agree with this.  NutMeg twisted that to somehow attacking people because of their wealth. 🙃

9 hours ago, Tammee said:

I don't have an answer for the no drinkee lunch though. 

I believe she wasn't invited, or at least she wasn't there.  She didn't attend and not drink.  She didn't attend. 🥂

• Love 7
10 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Dr. Angelou (although Honorary), Ms. Angelou, Ms. Maya certainly lacked class in the enounter with a (probably nervous) young woman asking the question at a large gathering.   Did anyone chastise her?  Did she reconsider her comments?  I doubt it.

According to the AP, Maya Angelou did apologized later in the show.

Angelou, who was black, apologized later in the show to her questioner, also black.

Respecting elders: Maya Angelou clip sparks courtesy debate

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, bannana said:
18 hours ago, Tammee said:

I don't have an answer for the no drinkee lunch though. 

I believe she wasn't invited, or at least she wasn't there.  She didn't attend and not drink.  She didn't attend. 🥂

Most likely the three at lunch simply wanted to have fun at lunch.  No debating, no pundinting, no whining or crying.  It would make it fun for me if they had to sneak away...especially if it had been a day when Princess screeched at every one of them.

• Love 6