Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
starri

Special

A young gay man with cerebral palsy branches out from his insular existence in hopes of finally going after the life he wants.

Very cool concept.  Very little promotion that I've seen.

Drops on April 12th.

I really liked it too.  I was kind of annoyed that the episodes were so short, but it made it an easy binge.

Plus, since it is kind of niche, it probably wasn't a huge investment for Netflix (I'm sure the copious Microsoft product placement also helped), so that probably makes the pressure to get Stranger Things-like ratings less.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, starri said:

I was kind of annoyed that the episodes were so short, but it made it an easy binge.

I kind of loved that the episodes were short.  I started with the intention of watching only one or two before I was going to watch something else but just had to get through. 

I thought the guest cast was wonderful.  I loved Jessica Hecht and Patrick Fabian in this.  And I thought the scene with the sex worker, who plays Jack's husband on Will & Grace, to be really well done. 

I liked the short episodes. I didn't think I would at first, but then I realized it's basically the same length as an A plot on a regular sitcom, and they just didn't have a B or C plot.

I *never* binge, but I watched all of it this weekend.  Of course the short episodes make that really easy to do but it was just a generally charming show.

I find it hard to believe that none of the people he came across, although young, realized that he had cerebral palsy. I thought perhaps Carey knew and just wasn't saying anything, but I guess not.

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I find it hard to believe that none of the people he came across, although young, realized that he had cerebral palsy. I thought perhaps Carey knew and just wasn't saying anything, but I guess not.

Oh I don't know about that. My best friend has CP, so I recognize it in others (and some of Ryan's movements were very similar to hers, which was interesting) but he's told everyone that his accident caused his physical differences, so why would anyone have reason to question that?

I found it both charming and cringey. Kim and Phil were almost too aggressive at times, and Carey was like a fantasy perfect boyfriend. It was sweet and funny though, and I hope they get another season with longer episodes.   

I really liked this, especially the shorter episodes. It just flew by. Felt almost like a web series.

Of course it ended on a very depressing note. I really thought Karen and Phil would reconcile but it did make for a good scene between Ryan and his mom. And I am with her on the cake thing. He dropped the ball.

It was easy to watch all at once, it was about movie length. Ryan ticked me off at the end with his mom, though I realize he is going through the teen type rebellion (a little later in life) where you separate from your parent. His mom has lived her life taking care of him and now her mother also and I hope she can get her own life too. I don't know if Phil the neighbor is a selfish jerk or if he will come around, but I can understand about being leery to get involved with a woman who has had a codependent relationship with her son. Also I was wondering if Carey was just being nice kissing Ryan.