Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E16: Sandra Oh / Tame Impala

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Wasn't impressed with Tame Impala's first song, so I switched channels during the second song.

Seriously, check out the older stuff if you haven't.  They are one of my favorites bands ever, and for me it's the old case of "I knew 'em back when . . . "

I think I may've said this is another example of SNL being waaay behind the curve on MG's.  Fallon had them on in 2011 and he and Conan both had them on in 2015.

(edited)

One reason I loved the Cheques commercial was it brought back memories of my father teaching me way back in 1903 how to write checks, and his emphasizing how you always had to draw a line or squiggle after the amount to make sure no one added zeroes!

P.S. Since the day he sat me down and taught me that, I have never not added a line or squiggle.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

When is the last time they did a non political opening? Or have they?

I'm not sure if it would count as political or not, but if not, the R Kelly interview spoof in the Idris Elba episode.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, JZL said:

For anyone interested in Tame Impala, do yourself a favor and check out the older albums, Innerspeaker and Lonerism and/or the Youtube vids for "Solitude is Bliss," "Expectation," "Enders Toi," "Nangs,"and the Conan live version of "Let it Happen."  And check out the band Pond, which I like more lately.  (Several of the same people-- Parker produces)

I think the first song was "Patience" and the second was "Borderline," both from the impending album.

I really like Borderline.  Patience was kinda boring.

I like their song The Less I Know the Better a lot.  I only found out about them because Rihanna covered New Person, Same Old Mistakes for her 2016 album ANTI.  

I'm old enough to remember when checks were written all the time, so I loved the "Cheques" skit. (Spelling the Euro way for extra classiness!)

But you're supposed to put the squiggle after the number? I always put in if there was leftover space on the words line. Mind blown.

There really is no way to make paying electronically look dramatic, so I do think it's a shame checks are going to way of the dodo. I used to write little snarky things in the Memo line, like "blood money" to pay back my friends for something. Heh.

I thought this was a good episode, though I agree that Sandra Oh could have done a lot more. It was also kind of an unfortunate seque to go from Kenan's very upbeat song to Pale Impala's more languid one.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, Peace 47 said:

I thought that The Duel was really well costumed, shot, directed and acted.  The seriousness of, and commitment to, the setup was what made the comedy work.

Does anybody know where this was filmed? I've been meaning to comment for a while that the show's locations for the pre-taped bits are always excellent, especially considering they can't really go too far outside of the New York metropolitan area. I'm trying to think where around here an estate like that could exist. Perhaps Long Island?

6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

There really is no way to make paying electronically look dramatic, so I do think it's a shame checks are going to way of the dodo. I used to write little snarky things in the Memo line, like "blood money" to pay back my friends for something. Heh.

This reminds me of back when everybody had flip phones, and you could shut them all dramatic and cool after a conversation. Pressing the end button the iPhone touchscreen doesn't have the same zest.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It was also kind of an unfortunate seque to go from Kenan's very upbeat song to Pale Impala's more languid one.

"Pale Impala" that's hysterical.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:06 AM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Oh yes, people still write checks because I still get stuck behind them at the grocery store checkout line. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I can remember when I  was the one holding up the line, when I paid with a credit card. Needed manager approval!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Does anybody know where this was filmed?

It looked like somewhere in Westchester County, as that river was the Hudson. There are a lot of estates up there that are event spaces.

(Sorry that isn't more specific.)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

But you're supposed to put the squiggle after the number? I always put in if there was leftover space on the words line. Mind blown.

Put it both places.  It's actually easier to add zeros to the number than to spelled-out words.

• Love 2
On 3/31/2019 at 1:00 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The thing about Kenan is everything he does is so full of joy.  He always looks so joyful. I don't even think I know how NOT to enjoy a Kenan sketch.

Yep, and he knows just how to deliver his lines for max impact, but not over-the-top (unless it's called for, obviously!).

On 3/31/2019 at 1:05 AM, SHD said:

The only thing I really laughed at was the Tishy sketch. 

I rarely LOL at SNL, usually only a snicker or two at WU.  But I was rolling at how Sandra played Tishy.  Plus no one plays that confused-morphing-into-outrage better than Mikey Day!

On 3/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, Peace 47 said:

I really don’t care for any of the “weird woman in a normal situation” sketches (going back Wiig’s thousands of variations on this theme) so Louise’s birthday irritated me.

The reason I didn't like it, apart from how it wasn't very funny, is that the way Kate spoke the word "kiss" was exactly the way Nicole Sullivan of Mad TV would speak a one-word utterance when playing the Antonia character.

On 3/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, peeayebee said:

The Discover Card/Us parody was clever. I haven't seen the movie, but I've read enough about it to understand the references. However, it didn't seem to go over well with the audience. 

I'm not a fan of Kate's Guiliani. Can someone explain why she always holds her hands like that? I've not seen Guiliani do anything like that.

I have often not seen the thing that SNL parodies, and still find the skits funny because the skit itself has humor or there's something still amusing about the conceit.  The problem I had with the Us bit is that the ghoulish Discover person was a one-note portrayal.  Now maybe the Us ghoul is just like that, but from a skit-watching perspective, it was like watching paint dry in terms of the lack of interest in the character/portrayal.

I really don't understand the continued focus on having Kate do that for Giuliani's hands.  I've also never seen him do anything like that, yet the writers and/or Kate continue to very prominently feature it, basically to the point of overshadowing the other aspects of her impression.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

I rarely LOL at SNL, usually only a snicker or two at WU.  But I was rolling at how Sandra played Tishy.  Plus no one plays that confused-morphing-into-outrage better than Mikey Day!

"How is your arm STILL BROKEN!" was gold. Mikey really does excel at this type of stuff, I have a sinking feeling he either wrote it or co wrote it. He also seems to like writing oddball characters.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:
On 3/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, peeayebee said:

I'm not a fan of Kate's Guiliani. Can someone explain why she always holds her hands like that? I've not seen Guiliani do anything like that.

I really don't understand the continued focus on having Kate do that for Giuliani's hands.  I've also never seen him do anything like that, yet the writers and/or Kate continue to very prominently feature it, basically to the point of overshadowing the other aspects of her impression.

Isn't it to reinforce the ghoul factor? 

At first I thought Kate was playing Jeff Sessions, as the makeup/hair is similar. 

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

"How is your arm STILL BROKEN!" was gold. Mikey really does excel at this type of stuff, I have a sinking feeling he either wrote it or co wrote it. He also seems to like writing oddball characters.

Someone on Reddit said he co-wrote it - they also mentioned a few of the other writers.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Isn't it to reinforce the ghoul factor? 

I don't know. I don't think he's been 'ghoulish' in her other Guiliani impressions, just this time. Still, I think that sort of sustained mannerism in an impression should come from a less exaggerated mannerism the real person does or has done.

(edited)

Well that was disappointing.  There were a few humorous moments, but the only really funny bit was the commercial for Cheques.

Edited to note that I also thought the Jussie Smollett sketch was hysterical.  And that Kate can never go wrong with Rudy Guiliani.

Also, I didn't know who Tame Impala was before this, and I don't care who they are now.  They were exceeding 'meh'.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, helenamonster said:

This reminds me of back when everybody had flip phones, and you could shut them all dramatic and cool after a conversation. Pressing the end button the iPhone touchscreen doesn't have the same zest.

I remember Julio Torres wrote a funny tweet about a turtle who attempts to storm out of a room dramatically, but because he's a turtle is forced to do so very, very slowly.

That would make a funny short film, although it might be better as a cartoon.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

This is great info.  I've been a fan of Bowen and Julio's on Twitter before they were hired by SNL.  Julio's humour is really otherworldly.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't know. I don't think he's been 'ghoulish' in her other Guiliani impressions, just this time. Still, I think that sort of sustained mannerism in an impression should come from a less exaggerated mannerism the real person does or has done.

Giuliani is always using his hands in his tv interviews.  It's not a stretch, from what I can see.  And he very often sits with his hands laced up by his chest, the way Kate does.  She exaggerates, which is part of the Ghouliani impression, but he is known for his crazy eyes and hands.

image.png.a38efb74067b946cd969de52b41aa158.png

image.png.484168f5626106d9dae4dfb9433fe19c.png

image.png.e0f0bf88aefa9570d71c07f1b28fe2d1.png

image.png.95eca70c1fd979d2d637cd63bb3fad3b.png

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, izabella said:

Giuliani is always using his hands in his tv interviews.  It's not a stretch, from what I can see.  And he very often sits with his hands laced up by his chest, the way Kate does.  She exaggerates, which is part of the Ghouliani impression, but he is known for his crazy eyes and hands.

Thanks. I didn't realize he holds his hands up so much. Yours is a good enuf explanation for why she does that. I still don't like the impression though.

I'm in my 50s. I've been writing checks for my entire adult life. I have always put the squiggle in there. AND I NEVER KNEW WHY! It was just how checks were done. No one told me why until now! I can't believe I didn't know and just accepted it all this time.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is great info.  I've been a fan of Bowen and Julio's on Twitter before they were hired by SNL.  Julio's humour is really otherworldly.

I just found this from a year ago. They should look up all his past tweets and there'd be a great sketch inspired by one!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2