Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
MarkHB

S17.07: Hollywood Week (2)

Recommended Posts

Quote

Contestants battle it out in group rounds and solo performances in the hope of advancing to the next round of the competition.

Share this post


Link to post

I love this show.  Unabashedly and wholeheartedly!

This is my favourite combo of judges I think, ever since I started watching in Season 2.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Juan Pablo was so cocky. I just knew his room wasn't going through.

I was so happy that little Kai (whose church took up a collection for her and thought an escalator was called an Escalade) made it through to Hawaii.  That girl needs to see more of the world. 

And the coach (Kat McPhee's sister? Is that who she is?) was so mean to poor sick Nate Walker.  If the big Wade guy can get sent through after forgetting all his words, they can certainly give Nate a pass for being sick .

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I don't get why Katy forced Nate to sing either.  They already know who they're putting through or not.  That was like some weird torture.

Seriously, they let Wade float through this thing, and why?  And for what?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I was so happy that little Kai (whose church took up a collection for her and thought an escalator was called an Escalade) made it through to Hawaii.  That girl needs to see more of the world. 

Agreed. I sympathize with a lot of her struggles so much, and regardless of how far she goes in this competition, I'm just rooting for her in general. I want her to have as good a life as possible. 

Quote

And the coach (Kat McPhee's sister? Is that who she is?) was so mean to poor sick Nate Walker.  If the big Wade guy can get sent through after forgetting all his words, they can certainly give Nate a pass for being sick .

Yes! Pushing him could hurt his voice more than help it in the long run. Let him get some time to rest his throat, sheesh. 

I liked Drake's version of "Always on My Mind". And I really feel for Jeremiah having such a distant relationship with his parents. I just cannot wrap my head around how any parents can be like that towards their own child. I'm glad he has his boyfriend by his side, at least. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't get why Katy forced Nate to sing either.  They already know who they're putting through or not.  That was like some weird torture.

At first I thought it was so others in his group wouldn't cry foul when they were eliminated and he wasn't, but then they were all let through so what do I know. Honestly, i thought that whole group was terrible and all four should have gone home.

I also don't get Evelyn's appeal. So so breathy.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Overall I'm happy because my favorites made it through but there's a lotta filler in this group. At the same time, I don't think I've had as many favorites at this point as I do this season!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I watched the one group number there was, then went hunting for good Group Night memories. Here are Kim and Frenchie doing Band of Gold: 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I was so happy that little Kai (whose church took up a collection for her and thought an escalator was called an Escalade) made it through to Hawaii.  That girl needs to see more of the world.

I was neutral about her until she started calling herself Kai The Singer.    Blech.    Now I must dislike.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And I really feel for Jeremiah having such a distant relationship with his parents. I just cannot wrap my head around how any parents can be like that towards their own child. I'm glad he has his boyfriend by his side, at least. 

His performance was amazing!  And I think he's really cute.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

So I am late to the party.  I love Hollywood week but felt rushed through this one.  I also noticed Ryan was missing and only really narrating.  Is there a reason?

I also don’t get the appeal of the girl who went viral on YouTube and sang “I got a spell on you”.  She seems very screechy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Sam215 said:

So I am late to the party.  I love Hollywood week but felt rushed through this one.  I also noticed Ryan was missing and only really narrating.  Is there a reason?

I also don’t get the appeal of the girl who went viral on YouTube and sang “I got a spell on you”.  She seems very screechy.

Ryan’s been absent a lot this season!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My thoughts on last nights episode and forgive me - I will attempt names: 

Jeremiah - I know his name thanks to the above poster  :) I love him and I welled up over his performance of First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.  He just seems so genuine and sweet. 

The blonde girl (Lacy Kay?) is my front runner.  The other blonde girl who is so hyper with the scrunchie (Maggie?) typically would be someone that gets on my nerves but I find her funny and charming.  I hope she makes it as well.

The Asian girl needs a stylist ASAP.....that yellow dress was not a good look at all. 

The long blonde haired 15 year old country boy......he is a cutie but clearly not ready.  I wanted to laugh when he told the poor kid that had just gotten cut from the group "that's showbiz"......eyeroll.

The girl who got engaged had a good night.....I guess the boyfriend wanted to lock that down in case she makes it ;)

The girl they compared to Kelly Clarkson reminds me of someone......

Was shocked the guy who forgot Broken Halos made it through but I do like his voice.....same goes for the big guy who wrote his lyrics on his arm.  That would not fly during the days of Simon.

Blakes boots were not good luck for the poor kid who got them.....

I didn't like Juan Pablo at all.

Did the Strawberry farmer get through? 

That is all I can remember for now.    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone sitting in the same room as Jeremiah should've known damn well they were going through.  His solo was fantastic.  He's probably my favorite so far.  A lot of the people I liked were in Room 1.

Glad that Juan Pablo went home.  And while I'm sorry it meant that screaming Myra survived to scream at me another day, I'm glad Room 3 stayed because I liked the oil field worker's voice, even if he did forget the words.  He was so much better than Wade and Eddie Island that it would've been a travesty to me if they'd survived and he was sent home.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AnnieHeights said:

Did the Strawberry farmer get through? 

Took some careful googling ('cause I didn't want spoilers for the Top 20-ish) but yes, his name is Kason Lester and he made it to Hawaii.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

My favorite contestant from the auditions was Ashley Hess, and she wasn't given any coverage during Hollywood Week, unless I somehow missed it. Apparently she's still in it. 

I don't get the appeal of Alejandro.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I would 10 million times rather listen to Kai the Singer (who's sweet but not that good) than the dreaded Myra.

I like the 'idea' of Uche much more than the reality. He's very attractive, modern looking and definitely has a voice; unfortunately, I really don't like listening to him. 

That was a virtuoso performance by Jeremiah-his phrasing, range and modulation are amazing. I do think he verges on theatrical (which is basically my problem with Uche, now that I think about it).

Laci is good (and I love that she picked 'Stars'), but she makes me wonder-do people with those kind of teeth have trouble with dental hygiene? Even when she wasn't smiling, her entire gumline was exposed to the air. (Her teeth looked beautiful, btw).

Madison does remind me of Kelly vocally, although her performing style is kind of wooden. It bothers me that she looks like she's 35 when she's actually 17, though.

Jeez, Katy bawling 'why doesn't anyone love me like that' (or whatever) during the on-stage engagement made me wonder if she stormed home and demanded that Orlando propose. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

That was a virtuoso performance by Jeremiah-his phrasing, range and modulation are amazing. I do think he verges on theatrical (which is basically my problem with Uche, now that I think about it).

I did think if Idol doesn't work out for Jeremiah he has a career in Broadway for sure.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

My favorite contestant from the auditions was Ashley Hess, and she wasn't given any coverage during Hollywood Week, unless I somehow missed it. Apparently she's still in it. 

I don't get the appeal of Alejandro.

I admired his guitar work, but his singing, not so much.  And his original song was nothing to write home about.  Although at least he didn't shriek at me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Took some careful googling ('cause I didn't want spoilers for the Top 20-ish) but yes, his name is Kason Lester and he made it to Hawaii.

Thank you so much :)  !! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, vast wasteland said:

For God's sake, how much attention do you need to take the focus off someone proposing by your overblown theatrics, Katy.  It Is Not Your Moment.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c9a5c61466965702e

Every moment is her moment in her eyes.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know what happened to Nick Merico, the former Disney actor?  They made such a big deal about his audition, but I don't remember seeing him on the Hollywood episodes at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't get why Katy forced Nate to sing either.  They already know who they're putting through or not.  That was like some weird torture.

Seriously, they let Wade float through this thing, and why?  And for what?

I know, right?

And I disagree that professionals always have to sing through it. In my other life I got a degree in Music Business and I lived and worked in Nashville for a very long time. I've seen MANY singers have to cancel big events, or else have to find some way to work around their voice sucking, because they were just too sick. I'm no fan of Nate, but him just singing a few lines is exactly what many of them would do, especially if actually singing the whole part could literally damage their vocal chords. There comes a point in which you can be so sick that singing can be dangerous. You have to know where to draw that line. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I admired his guitar work, but his singing, not so much.  And his original song was nothing to write home about.  Although at least he didn't shriek at me.

I like his tone and I enjoy his guitar playing. With that said, I didn't think his original was so much better than Wade's. I didn't care for Wade's song myself, but it did show off his voice. Alejandro, on the other hand, spent a good portion of his solo playing guitar. I'm not complaining about that, I liked it. I think it's just an indication of how they weren't going to like anything Wade did. I was shocked as hell that he made it through. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Every moment is her moment in her eyes.

I totally thought the same thing as Katy was running up aisles, falling out of chairs, fake crying.  My God Katy chill we would love to heard from Lionel because HE ACTUALLY KNOWS A LOT ABOUT MUSIC AND VOCALIZING!  Or maybe just hear from the contestants because THIS IS THEIR MOMENT!!!

Also as talented a Alejandro is in the guitar he is beginning to sound kind of redundant.  Every time he steps up to the microphone I know how he will sound.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

Blakes boots were not good luck for the poor kid who got them.....

Pretty sure they were Luke Bryan's boots.  🙂

Edited by Babalooie
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

If Ryan wasn’t seen during.Hollywood week, methinks he was working his day job in NYC (Kelly and Ryan). From what I gather, he no longer has an L.A. base.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone please explain the lure of "Eddie Island" to me? I've seen neither real vocal ability nor originality from him. On the other hand, if he's doing all of this as just a way of taking the piss out of the show, I can kind of get behind that. (Though it's not fair to those who take it seriously.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

The girl they compared to Kelly Clarkson reminds me of someone......

I think she resembles Katherine McPhee.

7 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

Blakes boots were not good luck for the poor kid who got them.....

Nor was the guitar he gave the other kid. 

BTW, I thought he should have given the boots to him in private 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

BTW, I thought he should have given the boots to him in private 

I think so, too. As I said in the other post, when people do public displays of things like that, I question their motive. I felt embarrassed for Colby when they had him hold his boots up for the camera. He was good natured about it, but it still made me uncomfortable. FWIW, though, Luke Bryan may not have been thinking about it. I don't like his music or his voice, but as a man he actually seems okay. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Jillybean said:

My favorite contestant from the auditions was Ashley Hess, and she wasn't given any coverage during Hollywood Week,

Didn't she get the boot during the group rounds?

Share this post


Link to post

That Evelyn girl is a horrible singer with the most put on voice.  Katy loves her?  I’m shocked.

I wonder how they will make over Kai the singer if she makes it past Hawai’i.  She seems sweet but not a star.

The savant with the guitar sounds like John Mayer to me,  hahahahahahaha.  Ironic.  All of his songs do sounds the same though.  John Mayer too.

wish Ain’t Going Home....went home.  Very screechy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Didn't she get the boot during the group rounds?

Not according to the articles I found when I Googled her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

That Evelyn girl is a horrible singer with the most put on voice.  Katy loves her?  I’m shocked.

Check her out over on the 90 Day Fiance threads. Many of us on here have been complaining about her for more than a year now and are way over her singing. The fist couple of times you hear it, it's not totally bad. After a while, though, I find it almost unbearable. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Pretty sure they were Luke Bryan's boots.  🙂

Ha!!  You are so right!!!  Wrong cute country music artist/judge ;-)    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just adore Jeremiah. I hope he makes it really far. Madison V is my secon6d favorite. 

Also, Alejandro kind of reminds me of Fleet Foxes Bon Iver. I like his personality - sweet and humble, and he seems very smart and has a really cute, shy smile. But I don't think he'll make it to voting. 

Edited by librarianbeck
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2019 at 11:27 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

Juan Pablo was so cocky. I just knew his room wasn't going through.

I was so happy that little Kai (whose church took up a collection for her and thought an escalator was called an Escalade) made it through to Hawaii.  That girl needs to see more of the world. 

And the coach (Kat McPhee's sister? Is that who she is?) was so mean to poor sick Nate Walker.  If the big Wade guy can get sent through after forgetting all his words, they can certainly give Nate a pass for being sick .

The coach is Kat McPhee’s older sister.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Not according to the articles I found when I Googled her.

Huh, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Was she the one that auditioned with Laine Hardy?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Was she the one that auditioned with Laine Hardy?

No, that girl's name was Ashton.

I could NOT believe they put Wade through. I can't stand Maya, either. Did Shayy go through?

I haven't actually voted during AI since Jordin Sparks' season, but if Jeremiah makes it to the live shows, I'm voting for him. He's an amazing singer and I never want him to have to go back to a family and town who can't support him for who he is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dvr devotee said:

No, that girl's name was Ashton.

I could NOT believe they put Wade through. I can't stand Maya, either. Did Shayy go through?

I haven't actually voted during AI since Jordin Sparks' season, but if Jeremiah makes it to the live shows, I'm voting for him. He's an amazing singer and I never want him to have to go back to a family and town who can't support him for who he is.

Shay made it through. 

I'm surprised that Wade made it through. They seemed to be put off by him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Huh, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Was she the one that auditioned with Laine Hardy?

She was the dental hygienist who sang Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" while the judges gathered around the piano. She basically got no airtime during Hollywood Week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I love Evelyn Cormier’s voice!  

People who hate on her seem mostly hung up on the the way she was portrayed in the very scripted storyline from a few years ago on 90 Day Fiancé.  The judges have called her voice various things from Katy Perry’s “ one of the most favorite voices I have ever heard in my life” to Lionel Ritchie commenting on her being the “new Cher”.  While her voice is powerful, ethereal and angelic IMO - I am so glad she is quickly moving up the ranks!  She will be in it to the end!  And honestly folks, in regards to “90 Day”?  Where there is no drama - production steps in.  She and David are two of the nicest people ever - speaking firsthand.  Go Evelyn - all the way to the finale!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size