Type keyword(s) to search

Hot In Cleveland - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The TVDB (thetvdb.com) lists 4 more episodes.

Descriptions from thetvdb.com ...

• 6-21 Say Yes to the Mess :

Victoria and Melanie try to adjust to Joy moving out; Bob tries to impress Joy's mother.

• 6-22 Hot in Cleveland: Hot Damn!: The cast and crew discuss their favorite episodes, bloopers and behind-the-scenes moments.
  • 6-23 Vegas Baby - they have no description yet
  • 6-24 I Hate Goodbyes - only description is "SERIES FINALE"

gxjry68.png

They bought the neighborhood bar in the Kitchen Nightmares episode. Melanie lost her job at the radio station and Joy thought it would help her adopt because being a detective is too dangerous. I think Victoria might have bought in as well.

I recently caught an episode of this show on Demand and was surprised at some of the offensive content. I thought it was a silly sitcom with washed up TV stars but one of the plotlines was that Betty White had a date with the Pope. What's up with that? Do they think that is funny? I understand that they like to ridicule religion and religious people in Hollywood but even on this stupid sitcom.

That's the last time I watch it.

Last night was so sweet! I know this isn't exactly breakthrough television, but I really will be sad to not have my Wednesday night comfort food anymore.

(And I'm even more sad when I think I won't get a regular Betty White fix anymore. I mean she's immortal and all, I don't mean she's going away, but getting to see her do her thing every week was so great.)

• Love 2

I'm ambivalent about the final episode.  I'm pleased that they gave everyone an end story and that they all wound up happy.  Bob Newhart -- and I'm a fan -- was wasted, they could have come up with a better story for him and he still could have ended up with Elka.  Georgia Engel wasn't needed here at all and they wasted a lot time with her.  I think she was a good addition to the show as a friend of Elka's but was a distraction in Las Vegas.  Victoria winding up with Johnny -- perfect actually -- their chemistry was excellent.  I smiled when they revealed the baby's name, a lovely tribute to Betty White.  When they showed Melanie's seat mate on the plane you knew they would wind up together but that looked like a good fit so it didn't bother me.  Bob and Joy never made sense as a couple.    Final comment -- I liked the Huey Lewis look-a-like wedding officiant. 

Also been a fan of Victoria and Johnny, as well as Huey Lewis.  Glad to see them end up together as well.  Wasn't the best show on TV but it sure was fun. Always tuned in to see who would pop up as a guest star.  Valerie and Jane were live tweeting last night and mentioned that Valeries husband was an extra sitting behind her on the plane.  Loved the use of Queens "You're my Best Friend".  Call back to the final of Will and Grace, nice work Sean Hayes. 

• Love 4
(edited)
Final comment -- I liked the Huey Lewis look-a-like wedding officiant.

I'm pretty sure that was Huey Lewis; you only saw the back of Johnny's head during the ceremony, and they did some canny editing afterward so you never saw the two men at the same time. (Or do you mean that they had a Johnny Thunder lookalike along with the Elvis impersonator?)

I'm a little disappointed that everyone ended up paired off, but it fits in with the overall arc of the show.

The five-year time jump at the end was weird when I realize Elka would be 98! Not that she wouldn't still be alive and kicking, of course.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

I thought it was pretty much a perfect finale for this show: a good mix of very silly and sweet. I'm glad they worked in several scenes where the characters were supposed to cry, because I'm sure they were real tears.

I loved the last bit saying that the girls still got together every Wednesday night. That's how I want to remember them.

• Love 2

I loved the last episode, except that it was the last episode. So glad to see Victoria back with Johnny Revere! His season one episode is locked on my DVR - it was the clincher of this season as a keeper for me - so funny!

I loved Bob, but the baby storyline wasn't the greatest to me. Loved that they named the baby Betty.

I'm glad they all ended up happy, and the last scene on the porch swing about meeting every Wednesday night got me. I want to be there with them!

It certainly wasn't the greatest show on tv, but it consistently made me laugh. I'll miss it.

• Love 2

After watching the episode that had the  Mary Tyler Moore reunion I went and started watching MTM. It's great. I can't believe it's from before I was born.. and I was born in the 70s! Cloris Leachman in her prime shocked me to pieces. I haven't seen Betty yet, I'm only on episode 1.

• Love 1

This is too funny. I just watched Crowded, Season 1 episode 7. Betty White guests stars. alongside Jane Leeves, as a mother-and-daughter who go to therapy. It's hilarious because they very much continute their archetypes they played in Hot in Cleveland. Jane even yells out that her mother  often calls her a Hooker from Cleveland. 

It was really exciting to see this contentious duo together on screen again.

I just started watching the final season of HiC.  I had watched all the other seasons when they ran, and enjoyed it, but kept missing it this season, and my DVR (satellite) kept cutting out in bad weather.  Anyway, I found it on Hulu and intend to watch the season.  I may have seen a handful of the episodes.

I loved the main characters, and even when the plots got ridiculous, it was still a fun half-hour for me.  

• Love 3

I've been recording GetTV's Hot In Cleveland reruns on my DVR, and on Friday (August 30th, the day Valerie Harper passed), one of the eps shown was "Love Is All Around," Season 4 Episode 23 - the Mary Tyler Moore Show reunion. Cloris, Mary, Valerie, Betty and Georgia sharing the sitcom stage one more time in 2013 - such a lovely, touching coincidental tribute. #RIPValerieHarper

HIC MTM reunion.jpg

• Love 2
On 12/8/2019 at 11:45 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

From watching Hot in Cleveland, I'll probably will be roasted for saying this.. but I thought Betty White was the weak link in the cast.  I much rather watched the three leads moreso than BW.

You are completely right. I am watching this now and most of her lines are just about being mean to the other 3 women or tearing them down in some way. It's rarely funny, and gets tiring when she just keeps doing it so relentlessly.

• Love 1

As usual, I’m late to the party and discovered this show within the last couple of weeks. 

The more media tries to make me watch a show (Hello, Abbott Elementary!), the more I distance myself from it.  And RIP, but while I found her a funny actress, I was annoyed with all the Betty White hype.  That said, Elka Ostrovsky turned out to be one of my fave characters!

From her slut and boob shaming Joy to batting her beautiful blue eyes to her downright bawdiness, I would bet that it was hard to not break out of character whenever Betty was on the set.  She and Joy’s sniping of each other is the best part of the show.  Wendie Malick (I remember her all the way back from the sexy HBO comedy Dream On) wore the best dresses and earrings.  And Valerie Bertinelli (forever a Barbara Cooper Royer stan!) was perfect as Melanie.

This show could have lasted another two years….TV Land sucks for cancelling it.

(Runs to Amazon to purchase complete series)

3 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

As usual, I’m late to the party and discovered this show within the last couple of weeks. 

The more media tries to make me watch a show (Hello, Abbott Elementary!), the more I distance myself from it.  And RIP, but while I found her a funny actress, I was annoyed with all the Betty White hype.  That said, Elka Ostrovsky turned out to be one of my fave characters!

From her slut and boob shaming Joy to batting her beautiful blue eyes to her downright bawdiness, I would bet that it was hard to not break out of character whenever Betty was on the set.  She and Joy’s sniping of each other is the best part of the show.  Wendie Malick (I remember her all the way back from the sexy HBO comedy Dream On) wore the best dresses and earrings.  And Valerie Bertinelli (forever a Barbara Cooper Royer stan!) was perfect as Melanie.

This show could have lasted another two years….TV Land sucks for cancelling it.

(Runs to Amazon to purchase complete series)

And at first she was supposed to be one and done

Betty White Originally Only Agreed to Film the Pilot of ‘Hot in Cleveland’

• Useful 1
(edited)

I think I'm coming to the end of the show according to my streaming channel.

In reading Season 6 eppies, I'm at Bob and Joy about to adopt.  Youtube has a first 5 mins/last 5 mins of the first and last show, respectively and I watched....dammit, I cried when Melanie was telling the girls how much she loved them and considered them her friends.  And then Queeen's My Best Friend started playing and I lost it.

I'll never understand why this show couldn't have gone on for at least 3 more seasons.

ETA:  Dave Foley I'm sure is a lovely man, killer blue eyes but HE was Joy's true love?  

Edited by Yogisbooboo64

Yeah, I suppose this show could have gone on a season or two more. It had something left in the tank. I never would have called it my favorite show, but I watched it every week and always got a laugh out of it. It was consistently funny. 

Victoria is a great character. I loved her tales of being a D-list celebrity, and her feud with Susan Lucci! She had so many great lines:

"It was so much easier doing Lifetime movies. Everything I needed to know about my character was in the title!"

"Once you start dressing for comfort, the next thing you know, you'll be eating for pleasure!"

And this little exchange:

Victoria: "I hate jocks."
Joy: "You were married to a wide receiver!"
Victoria: "I still don't know what sport that was."

On 3/8/2024 at 8:56 PM, DXD526 said:

Victoria is a great character.

Yeah she is hilarious, with her me-me-me behind!

My faves in order are:

Joy

Victoria

Elka

Melanie

I can't believe I just discovered this show but I'm glad I did!  It really helps to keep me laughing after losing my mother (Today marks 4 months since she left us.)