Type keyword(s) to search

Hot In Cleveland - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A pretty amusing episode. I'm not a big Chevy Chase fan, but he played an unapologetic cannibal quite well! Loved when he asked Elka why she wanted to be on the city counsel, and she smiled mischievously and said, "To serve Man!" 

• Love 2

Could not agree any more MaryMitch.  Do they think a plumped up face looks better than some wrinkles?  Very few have good plastic surgery and yet they keep going.  Morgan Fairchild - needs a new hair style and a deflated face.

It was good to see the actress (Emily Rutherford?) who played new Christine in the Adventures of Old Christine back on the screen.  I think she is great.

Bob and his attempts to get with Joy were the only thing still somewhat funny on the show, now they've screwed that up.

I used to love this show but the story lines have gotten ridiculous IMO.  I don't even watch it anymore and I love Valerie Bertinelli.

I used to enjoy watching all of them, but this is so true. The storylines have been awful. I have put my DVR out of its misery and cancelled the series recording.

I'm just glad they left the door open (so to speak) for Chris to return, and I really hope he does. He was great and the fact that he was able to match stride with even the mighty Betty just proves his talent again. I would give anything to see the bloopers from this episode.

• Love 1

I enjoyed seeing Chris Colfer playing this little twist on a "coming out" episode.  He's not a skinny little kid any more, is he?

I didn't particularly care for how far the show went with the joke. Letting Victoria think he was getting married just pushed it over the edge.

Can't wait for the "animated" episode next week!

Watched the animated episode - that was horrible.  However, I never was able to get into any of the animated shows aimed at adults (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc...) so maybe it was good for the genre and I just find the genre horrible? 

I have to agree, the animated episode was terrible. I think I laughed twice.

However, the auction episode was hilarious. I get so tickled by Victoria's honesty about herself. "He makes me want to appear to be a better person." And she gave me my new mantra, which I will never uphold: "As soon as you start dressing for comfort, next thing you know you'll be eating for pleasure!" (paraphrased). She cracks me up. Love Wendie Malick.

Victoria is telling everyone she's a widow - Did I miss something?  I thought Emmet was on the run and disappeared but not known to be dead, like they made you half expect him to turn up again one day.  I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I hate how this show keeps jumping around all over the place with the story lines.  New characters appear and disappear too often.  I can't keep track anymore.  Victoria's latest boyfriend - Very unattractive.  Very miscast for her to hook up with in any way.  And the women keep meeting men and then one day just mutually "decide" to call it off for a really far fetched reason.  WTF?  I used to like this show too but now I'm just confused and annoyed.

I think Emmett was killed in a plane crash in Europe/Asia somewhere? Seems she was going to join him and then he was killed. I've never had the experience, but I'm not sure this really qualifies her as a "widow" in the way this latest love interest was a "widower." I had to laugh when she said she would wake up and expect him next to her. It was a longish story arc for this show, but hardly the same as his being married all his life. And it is frustrating to like the new characters they introduce, and then they vanish. But for some reason I keep laughing when I watch this show. 

If your spouse dies while you're still married, you're a widow(er).

Victoria's latest boyfriend - Very unattractive.  Very miscast for her to hook up with in any way.

That's kind of the point—she's attracted to a man she wouldn't ordinarily look twice at. His screenplay is what brought them together, instead of how he looks or what he does.

• Love 1

Victoria is telling everyone she's a widow - Did I miss something?  I thought Emmet was on the run and disappeared but not known to be dead, like they made you half expect him to turn up again one day.  I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I hate how this show keeps jumping around all over the place with the story lines.  New characters appear and disappear too often.  I can't keep track anymore.  Victoria's latest boyfriend - Very unattractive.  Very miscast for her to hook up with in any way.  And the women keep meeting men and then one day just mutually "decide" to call it off for a really far fetched reason.  WTF?  I used to like this show too but now I'm just confused and annoyed.

I think Emmett was killed in a plane crash in Europe/Asia somewhere? Seems she was going to join him and then he was killed. I've never had the experience, but I'm not sure this really qualifies her as a "widow" in the way this latest love interest was a "widower." I had to laugh when she said she would wake up and expect him next to her. It was a longish story arc for this show, but hardly the same as his being married all his life. And it is frustrating to like the new characters they introduce, and then they vanish. But for some reason I keep laughing when I watch this show. 

I thought Emmett faked his death by plane crash, but he is really alive and in hiding - and Joy found a message from him - it had something to do with shoes (not the message, but how she found it) - oh, heck, now it is all sounding like I am telling you about a dream I had last night....and then there were dancing orangutans and Barbara Eden served me a raspberry milkshake....

Isn't there anyone out there in Previously.TV-land that pays enough attention to this show to know whether Emmett is supposed to be dead or alive?

• Love 2

I thought he faked his death, too.  But even if that is true, Victoria should say she's a widow.  If she doesn't the ruse is up and the authorities will know he's not dead and go looking for him.

Yes, now my memory is coming back - This story is so old now (as am I) that my memory failed me as to why she would call herself a widow when he faked his death.  You're right - that's it.  But who would even remember that now unless the characters made mention of it every now and then?  What about new viewers?  They'd be lost.  They'd think she was really a widow.

That's kind of the point—she's attracted to a man she wouldn't ordinarily look twice at. His screenplay is what brought them together, instead of how he looks or what he does.

I realize that, but somehow that point wasn't coming across in any believable way, IMO.  I think she should have at least been saying stuff like, "I don't know what it is about you/him but I'm crazy about him" to underscore the point.

This is a show I really enjoy and it makes me laugh. It's silly and fun so just good relaxing entertainment.  I usually laugh out loud a few times in each show.  Part of what I enjoy is seeing women in my age group (55) having fun and making the same stupid mistakes over and over.  As I've gotten older I sure haven't changed too much and still make lots of mistakes.  

• Love 3

I thought Emmett faked his death by plane crash, but he is really alive and in hiding - and Joy found a message from him - it had something to do with shoes (not the message, but how she found it) - oh, heck, now it is all sounding like I am telling you about a dream I had last night....and then there were dancing orangutans and Barbara Eden served me a raspberry milkshake....

Isn't there anyone out there in Previously.TV-land that pays enough attention to this show to know whether Emmett is supposed to be dead or alive?

According to Wikipedia,

Ep 84

"The Undead" John Whitesell Rachel Sweet April 16, 2014 503 N/A

Victoria receives a mysterious box containing a pair of hiking boots (which she would never wear), and is then visited by an FBI agent who tells her that Emmett has died in a plane crash over an Asian mountain range. Victoria then finds a note from Emmett in a boot stating that he faked his death, and he wants her to join him. She then sets the girls in motion to announce her own fake death to the press and set up a memorial service. Victoria attends her own service wearing a veil, and is not gone long before she returns to the girls, stating she cannot uproot her current life to be with Emmett. Meanwhile, Simon announces to Joy that he's quitting the paparazzi business and has been offered a job working on a documentary in sub-Saharan Africa.

,Emmets alive.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 1

Cute she with horrible writing. All 4 woman were all too good for the material they had to deliver. I'm sure they'll each be working very soon. Of course, VB had several sitcoms after ODAAT & before Cleveland.

First cancellation this year that actually surprised me - TVLine reports that Hot In Cleveland will be ending after this season. I figured TV Land would keep it going as long as Betty White was willing to show up.

That might have something to do with a report by a tabloid (National Enquirer?)  that said Betty White was planning to leave the show after the current season. If so I can understand why the decision was made to end the show rather than continue without her.

Did anyone else notice that Melanie changed her sneakers from the time that she answered the door when Frankie knocked and when they were stuck in the closet? When she came down the stairs she was wearing a day-glo orangey red pair of lace ups and when she was sitting on the closet floor next to Frankie she was wearing black slip ons with white soles.  Edit monkeys...asleep at the switch.

Edited by Lone Wolf
(edited)

Ron Wasserman (does music for the show) confirmed the episode (6x20) featuring Carol Burnett and Chris Colfer will be “All About Elka” and will air on 6th May 2015 (latest episode with info on IMDB). I think that's the series finale. IMDB has the season going until 6x24, which would air in June. That site is not always accurate, though.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 2

I love Dave Foley.  

I have an issue with the "You're pathetic because you have to eat alone" angle.  I think the bigger issue is thinking that you're pathetic because you're eating alone.  I find Melanie the weak link in this show.  She's really kind of annoying.  I was confused about her dating habits as well.  She went all nutso (not in a good way) over a relative, who I thought she went out with in the end.  The next week she's talking about some guy she's dating like the audience is supposed to know who he is.  It was William Baldwin.  He lasted two episodes.  I don't think there was any mention of a breakup but the next week she was completely single again with no mention of the guy she was dating in the last two episodes.  

I have an issue with the "You're pathetic because you have to eat alone" angle.  I think the bigger issue is thinking that you're pathetic because you're eating alone.

I agree. I didn't like the two women running out of the restaurant because it was too much to eat together at a romantic place. And I've always really hated all the slut-shaming Joy gets from Elka, especially since Elka isn't exactly a nun. Ugh.

• Love 1

I love Dave Foley.  

I have an issue with the "You're pathetic because you have to eat alone" angle.  I think the bigger issue is thinking that you're pathetic because you're eating alone.  I find Melanie the weak link in this show.  She's really kind of annoying.  I was confused about her dating habits as well.  She went all nutso (not in a good way) over a relative, who I thought she went out with in the end.  The next week she's talking about some guy she's dating like the audience is supposed to know who he is.  It was William Baldwin.  He lasted two episodes.  I don't think there was any mention of a breakup but the next week she was completely single again with no mention of the guy she was dating in the last two episodes.  

I was confused by this as well. Did they air the episodes out of order, or something? The therapist just vanished.

I think William Baldwin's character went to NYC to be an actor.

My favorite character is Victoria Chase, but it has been frustrating to really like some of the men she's paired with and then the relationship is over. I don't really want the show to end, but I had hoped this last season would be more normal with the relationships.

...William Baldwin's character went to NYC to be an actor....

Yes, that is how they ended his stunt-casting stint.  You had to watch closely through the years with this show as they often had a single line or two, often in the final scene while credits roll, that explained the end of whatever relationship had been featured.

The dreadful CarolBurnett-ChrisColfer episode was not the series finale.  There are at least 4 more episodes to go, and probably a clip show of some type to closeout the series (for the DVD bonus).  They may use one of those remaining four as a clip show, but I don't see why TVLand wouldn't milk another episode.

The show is a rerun this week, while the networks battle it out for Sweeps,  I suspect we get the Series Finale in mid-June.