Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Ending

Message added by ohjoy

Please use this topic to discussion about your general speculation and thoughts on the upcoming end of the series only. Keep long discussions on other topics (overall show history, media/social media updates, Bitch vs. Jerk, etc.) to the appropriate other topic, as usual. Thank you.

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, ZennyKenny said:

In a weird way, I feel like it would explain so much though. Dean still being in hell and being tortured. Like Bobby, his surrogate father, being killed and replaced with a version that doesn't know him. Or Mary coming back, but she's all wrong and unmotherly. Or becoming best friends with an angel whom he has to watch die over and over again. Or his brother choosing a demon over him, not searching for him, saying that he wouldn't save him, etc. Or, you know.... Jack. Existing. At all.

Crap, I'm starting to freak myself out!

So basically we the viewers have been in hell this entire time since we've had to go through this. Now I'm freaked out!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

So basically we the viewers have been in hell this entire time since we've had to go through this. Now I'm freaked out!

IKR??? That's why I'm like "PLEASE don't let this happen!!"

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, ZennyKenny said:

"It was all just a dream" is the absolute worst possible way to end the series that I can think of. Even if Dean was still in Hell and everything after season 3 was his tortured delusions.

How about a reset?  Dean gets sent back in time to change one thing, with all his memories intact.  What would be the best thing to change?

For the Winchesters themselves, I'd guess it would be stopping/killing the YED before he taints Sam, or before Mary made her deal.  But that would mean they wouldn't be hunters and so all the people they saved would have died.  

So how about:  they manage to kill Azazel in Salvation.

John doesn't have to sell his soul to save Dean.  Sam doesn't even go to Cold Oak.  Dean doesn't go to hell.  Sam can even keep his powers as long as Ruby isn't there to tempt him to the dark side.  John got his revenge and can retire.  Both Dean and Sam get to choose what they want to do:  settle down or keep hunting (or both!)  

Lucifer stays trapped.

No Apocalypse.  No angel interference.  No angel/demon war.  No Leviathan, Amara, Purgatory, MoC, or Nickifer.  Just ordinary, run-of-the-mill monsters left to hunt.  They can even track down Adam and get to know him.  

They can finally have true Free Will to decide what they want to do.  I kind of like that idea.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

How about a reset?  Dean gets sent back in time to change one thing, with all his memories intact.  What would be the best thing to change?

For the Winchesters themselves, I'd guess it would be stopping/killing the YED before he taints Sam, or before Mary made her deal.  But that would mean they wouldn't be hunters and so all the people they saved would have died.  

John doesn't have to sell his soul to save Dean.  Sam doesn't even go to Cold Oak.  Dean doesn't go to hell.  Sam can even keep his powers as long as Ruby isn't there to tempt him to the dark side.  John got his revenge and can retire.  Both Dean and Sam get to choose what they want to do:  settle down or keep hunting (or both!)  

Lucifer stays trapped.

No Apocalypse.  No angel interference.  No angel/demon war.  No Leviathan, Amara, Purgatory, MoC, or Nickifer.  Just ordinary, run-of-the-mill monsters left to hunt.  They can even track down Adam and get to know him.  

They can finally have true Free Will to decide what they want to do.  I kind of like that idea.  

I may have written a fic along these lines. 🙂

Except the logical place for me for that kind of thing to have happened would be either the end of season 5 or the end of season 6. In either case, Hallucination Lucifer would be right, and this was all either a torture devised by Lucifer against Sam in the cage*** (season 5 finale break point) or all in Sam's head (season 6 finale break point) and he never recovered from his wall being broken by Castiel.

Alternately, "The Born-Again Identity" could be another logical break point, and maybe season 8 on is in Castiel's mind. Hey that one would work for me, because even though I'd lose season 11, it would be a small price to pay for getting rid of/explaining season 8^^^ and 9, so hey...

And in either the season 6 finale or the season 7 scenario, Dean might have still ended up in Purgatory through stopping what had happened, so a win there for the Dean/Benny fans.

*** This kind of thing seems more Lucifer's style than Alastair's

^^^ Crazy Castiel in season 8 would be Castiel almost getting his current situation before succumbing to delusion again.

5 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Lucifer stays trapped.

I don't hate it.

And if they wanted to get angsty, have them both go back (maybe with only one knowing) to "Devil's Trap" and Sam does shoot John in the head, knowing what they know now and what it might "fix." Of course in SPN-verse, I'm not sure it would lead to a happily ever after, because Michael and Zachariah and Raphael, so I would be expecting they would still have to save the world. It would just be differently.

23 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Lucifer stays trapped.

This would work but it also means no Cas; I'm sure that his fans would riot!

• Love 1

If they did a reset, Mine would be that Dean died in his confrontation with Amara and this is version of The Empty.    Dean's live has been pretty empty since then.  Mary comes back and rejects him.  Then his mother and brother chose the Brits over him, he loses a lot abilites, his best friend seems to care more about Lucifer's kid then him. 

Its the only thing that makes sense for me.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

If they did a reset, Mine would be that Dean died in his confrontation with Amara and this is version of The Empty.    Dean's live has been pretty empty since then.  Mary comes back and rejects him.  Then his mother and brother chose the Brits over him, he loses a lot abilites, his best friend seems to care more about Lucifer's kid then him. 

Its the only thing that makes sense for me.

OMG! That would be way too depressing of an ending for Dean. 

3 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Mine would be that Dean died in his confrontation with Amara and this is version of The Empty. 

Ooh, I kinda like that one... except then Sam might have stayed in the clutches of the BMoL, so they'd explicitly have to leave them out of there.

I wouldn't mind it if Billie sent Dean to the Empty either... in other words once Dean stopped Amara, Billie was like "okay, now that you've fixed that... no more messing stuff up for you." Alternatively it could have been after the solitary confinement thing, because they likely would have had to be "dead" somehow, so a good time for Billie to send Dean to the Empty.

2 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

OMG! That would be way too depressing of an ending for Dean. 

True, but I can think of even more depressing. If the "break" had something to do with one of them still being stuck in solitary confinement for example.

18 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

True, but I can think of even more depressing. If the "break" had something to do with one of them still being stuck in solitary confinement for example.

I would think that being stuck in the Empty for all eternity would be more depressing than being in prison. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

I would think that being stuck in the Empty for all eternity would be more depressing than being in prison. 

If it was for all eternity, then yes, I agree. But those things don't usually take - Castiel getting out for example - but with solitary, that would mean they were both still there, with maybe no way to get out, and at least one - or both - insane for who knows how long.

I didn't interpret the original "this is the empty" premise to mean that Dean would be stuck there, but that he would figure it out - which is why we the audience would then know that it was the Empty rather than reality - and then he'd figure a way to get out.

But yeah, if not getting out was part of @ILoveReading's ending, then I agree with you that that is more depressing.

4 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

If it was for all eternity, then yes, I agree. But those things don't usually take - Castiel getting out for example - but with solitary, that would mean they were both still there, with maybe no way to get out, and at least one - or both - insane for who knows how long.

Oh I agree that there's always been a way for them to escape various situations as we've seen throughout the course of the show. But if we're talking about a reset for the shows ending that would imply getting stuck in said situation indefinitely which would be a godawful way to end the series and would make rewatching suck.

OMG! I was just reading an article from ScreenRant and they were talking about how people are processing the news of our show being over and I came across a tumblr comment that says that since the show was only gonna have 5 seasons, who made the deal for the additional 10 years!!!!! 

😲😲😲

😬😬

• Love 2

I don't think I'll be happy with any sort of dream sequence ending.  I used to think I'd be content with Sam and Dean in Heaven, somehow reunited with Mary, John, Bobby, etc., but I don't really want that anymore.  SPN's Heaven kind of blows.  I also don't want them dying in some blaze-of-glory ending.  I could live with a final shot of the boys on a beach somewhere in Hawaii.  They deserve a damn break.  But once they've rested up, they can get back to saving people, hunting things.  

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I don't think I'll be happy with any sort of dream sequence ending.  I used to think I'd be content with Sam and Dean in Heaven, somehow reunited with Mary, John, Bobby, etc., but I don't really want that anymore.  SPN's Heaven kind of blows.  I also don't want them dying in some blaze-of-glory ending.  I could live with a final shot of the boys on a beach somewhere in Hawaii.  They deserve a damn break.  But once they've rested up, they can get back to saving people, hunting things.  

Same I think a dream sequence, anything that makes anything we've seen thus far, not real, or hallucination or a dream or a reset or anything along those lines.  I may have disliked most of it in recent years, but it's just not satisfying in anyway for it be fake either.  It is what is it, I'd rather they do their best to fix it in "real life" before the show ends, then to have it end with a cheat, because at the end of it all, I don't really want them dead, but I don't want them to retire. 

Frankly I just want them to keep hunting.  Because then we can imagine Dean being the freaking brilliant hunter and leader we all KNOW he is, when Dabb and Co can't touch him anymore.  

• Love 6

It's fun to speculate but I'd honestly hate any kind of reset that would undo all of their accomplishments over the years. What I WOULD find intriguing was if they did a fake-out reset. Like they convinced us that everything after season 3 (or 5) was a torture-induced fever dream. But then SURPRISE nope it's really just a Djinn messing with them in the present! Or you know, a monster similar to a Djinn.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ZennyKenny said:

"It was all just a dream" is the absolute worst possible way to end the series that I can think of. Even if Dean was still in Hell and everything after season 3 was his tortured delusions.

I'd be fine if everything after the garden with Amara was a dream, because to me it just wasn't worthwile engaging. None of it.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Frankly I just want them to keep hunting.  Because then we can imagine Dean being the freaking brilliant hunter and leader we all KNOW he is, when Dabb and Co can't touch him anymore.  

"You got what you asked for, Dean. No paradise. No Hell. Just more of the same. I mean it, Dean. What would you rather have? Peace or freedom?"

Oh, and any "dream" ending would be total bullshit. I don't think even Dabb is that stupid.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, sarthaz said:

Oh, and any "dream" ending would be total bullshit. I don't think even Dabb is that stupid.

From your lips to "Someone who has control over Dabb"'s ears. I'm not certain there is a bottom to Dabb's stupidity. I think that some dream sequence ending is the one ending I couldn't tolerate. Which is why having Dabb in charge scares me. I remember one of the guys (Jensen?) saying that they have discussed and decided on a finale that they want and are in agreement on it. Let's hope they get to dictate that ending no matter what it is - that they have enough power to do that one thing.

• Love 6

My desired ending is either 1.) Everyone dies and is reunited in a Heaven worthy of the name thanks to Chuck and Amara, or 2.) The ending is Sam and Dean driving off into the sunset to continue doing their thing forever without any firm ending, leaving the viewer to decide what they want. I definitely don't want a dream sequence that erases multiple seasons or one of the brothers dead while the other one is living a Happily Ever After with a wife and kids. I hope a lot of characters in the past reappear in the final season; I've always liked when shows do that at the end, personally.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, sarthaz said:

I don't think even Dabb is that stupid.

🤨 If only I could believe this.

6 hours ago, FlickChick said:

I'm not certain there is a bottom to Dabb's stupidity.

Now this I believe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

It’s corny but I’d want them tossing weapons into Baby as Sam checks his laptop and off to the next hunt.

Then ..... Supernatural The Movie (Dabb barred from anything but sweeping the set floor). And they’d have potty mouths. 

I don’t know how well the movie would do as a theatre release, but maybe Netflix or similar 

• Love 6
Just now, Pondlass1 said:

Then ..... Supernatural The Movie (Dabb barred from anything but sweeping the set floor).

Yes please! They would also have to assign Berens, Perez and Dabb's assistant whose name I don't care to remember to clean the toilets, trailers, etc.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

It’s corny but I’d want them tossing weapons into Baby as Sam checks his laptop and off to the next hunt.

Then ..... Supernatural The Movie (Dabb barred from anything but sweeping the set floor). And they’d have potty mouths. 

I don’t know how well the movie would do as a theatre release, but maybe Netflix or similar 

I used to think that if they made a movie and were allowed to swear, I wouldn't like it. That it would cheapen the characters. But having Mark Sheppard on Doom Patrol dropping a plethora of F-bombs was just... delightful! It was like having an R-rated Crowley. So now I've changed my mind about that. 

And I do like your idea of having the end of the series be open so that a movie could happen in the future. Or at least the story could continue in some way (HOW has there not been a Supernatural video game yet???)

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ZennyKenny said:

I used to think that if they made a movie and were allowed to swear, I wouldn't like it. That it would cheapen the characters. 

Dean and Sam would be respectful in the presence of women or whatever, but would not say frggin’ or freakin’ while in the bunker, they’d drop F bombs all over the place ...and maybe worse. 

Dean’s “I didn’t poop for a week” Come on ... let’s be realistic “I didn’t shit for a week”

🙄🙄

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, ZennyKenny said:

And I do like your idea of having the end of the series be open so that a movie could happen in the future. Or at least the story could continue in some way (HOW has there not been a Supernatural video game yet???)

I’ve been dreaming about that for years. Open sandbox, set in Chicago, wiping out the five monster families and anything tied to Bloodlines. Have side quest ghost fights at all the famous haunting sites. It would be epic.

• Love 1

I want it to end with Sam waking up in bed with Jess and telling her about his crazy dream.  Then he hears the sound of someone breaking into his apartment . . . fade to black

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mulva said:

I want it to end with Sam waking up in bed with Jess and telling her about his crazy dream.  Then he hears the sound of someone breaking into his apartment . . . fade to black

Newhart owns that ending and no one should ever try it again. :]

• Love 11
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Newhart owns that ending and no one should ever try it again. :]

Agreed.

I'd rather see a Sopranos-type of ending than the old it-was-all-just-a-dream or snow globe sort of thing-and I wasn't even that crazy about the Sopranos last scene, tbh.

• Love 3

Haven't read all the posts in this thread yet.

But all I want is a happy ending for the boys and Castiel.

After 15 years of blood, sweat, tears and hell - both literally and figuratively - I want to see them end on a happy moment.

I do like the suggested idea of the bunker going kablooie and the guys hitting the road. "OK, Sammie, let's get back to work." Exit boys in Baby, see Castiel pop up in the back seat. Fade to black.

Edited by FierceCritter
  • Love 5

I love how when everyone is discussing how they'd like to see the series end, they talk about the Sam & Dean riding off into the sunset with Cas in the back seat, or getting a hunter's heaven, or one or both of them makes a sacrifice, etc. Literally nobody cares what happens to Jack. 😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ZennyKenny said:

I love how when everyone is discussing how they'd like to see the series end, they talk about the Sam & Dean riding off into the sunset with Cas in the back seat, or getting a hunter's heaven, or one or both of them makes a sacrifice, etc. Literally nobody cares what happens to Jack. 😆

Jack who?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, ZennyKenny said:

I care.  I haven't put my "This is how I want SPN to end" vision out there -- for me it just creates misaligned expectations. But I want a character ending for everyone that satisfies TFW 2.0 and recurrings.  Tall order.  When we get some indicator based on storyline next year, I'll speculate with everyone, but even that is a dubious proposition.  

• Love 4

Considering the state of the last few seasons, I'm not especially sad about Supernatural ending, but I am sad about what it was.

I hope Rowena gets a worthy end. And I would love to see Meg again. Queen of Hell please?

• Love 2

Today's J2 panel will likely be the most dissected in the history of the cons. I hope that nobody makes them feel bad/worse for their decision. They've never been anything but supportive to the fanbase - they deserve the same respect.

• Love 7

I'm putting this here since Jensen makes some comments at the end of show.  Its the last question

He said it was months of discussion about the end. Jensen said that they didn't want to go out with a fizzle and the writing was on the wall about when to end the show.*   And that if he had a choice to go left and make an epic leap off a cliff or go right and drive 30 miles and run out of gas in the middle of nowhere he's going left. To which Jared replied "you suck."

So IMO, its crystal clear that the lack of quality was a major deciding factor.   Jensen literally used the words, 'the writing was on the wall about when to end it" right after talking about not wanting it to fizzle out.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I'm putting this here since Jensen makes some comments at the end of show.  Its the last question

He said it was months of discussion about the end. Jensen said that they didn't want to go out with a fizzle and the writing was on the wall about when to end the show.*   And that if he had a choice to go left and make an epic leap off a cliff or go right and drive 30 miles and run out of gas in the middle of nowhere he's going left. To which Jared replied "you suck."

So IMO, its crystal clear that the lack of quality was a major deciding factor.   Jensen literally used the words, 'the writing was on the wall about when to end it" right after talking about not wanting it to fizzle out.

You beat me to it, I just finished watching. Jensen confirmed what many of us have been saying. Two things struck me, he brought up Dabb not helping him with Michael earlier in the video. He said he leaned on Speight for help with Michael and as soon as he got the character Dabb killed him. Then he ended with the writing on the wall, blaze of glory stuff.  So I go back to it wasn’t the time away from home or anything else (though it contributed), it was the lack of quality stories that ended this show. So in the end the only thing to beat the Winchesters was Andrew Dabb.

• Love 6

Jared also said it was a community decision, not a network thing (which most of us suspected).

Then he compared the decision to that of putting down a dog you love.   Something you consider when the pet you love is suffering. 

The audience was kind of shocked about that, and that is when Jared let Jensen take over and Jensen said the same thing, just in a more tactful way.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 4

Dang, I didn't think they would be that forthright about it. It really makes me wonder if they considered trying a new showrunner. I mean Steve Yockey had a handle on all the characters IMO. Hmmm.

ETA..Jensen is wearing Dean's murder shirt combo. LOL

• Love 4