Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Ending

Message added by ohjoy

Please use this topic to discussion about your general speculation and thoughts on the upcoming end of the series only. Keep long discussions on other topics (overall show history, media/social media updates, Bitch vs. Jerk, etc.) to the appropriate other topic, as usual. Thank you.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Personally, I do hope it gets revived on Netflix or some other platform in a few years, after Padalecki and Ackles get a break for a while to be with their families or experiment with other projects if that's what they want. If that never happens, I'm content with this ending, but nothing would ever really stop the show from re-commencing story-wise, imo. Cas and Jack could easily bring them back for X reason, maybe bring Bobby back, too. For me, the show was at its peak when Sam, Dean, and Bobby were the core.

Dean can wake up and say I had the weirdest dream...

They can write off every bad Dabbism as a bad dream.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

I could even live with finding out Dean was in the Malak box all that time, with Michael messing with his head.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I could even live with finding out Dean was in the Malak box all that time, with Michael messing with his head.

Yes. Anything but he is not the alpha hunter and skilled tactician. He is an Angel ness that eats too much in barrels in without strategy and dies for no reason barely able to put up a fight. He cannot even bother to mourn Cas. Even Sam does that better.

I hope Dabb's new show flops spectacularly.  He looks like an standard issue incel type. I imagine that there's so much jealousy... we cannot begin to imagine...

At least The Boys will give Jensen loads of exposure and time for another project if he wants ir.

I hope he formed his production company with the idea to redo the show right. 

• Love 5

I have to admit that I feel weirdly adrift with SPN over - with both Winchesters dead and no hope for revival (unless Jensen comes through). I spent fifteen years watching this show, thinking about the characters, discussing it (and them) on forums - this one and TWoP - reading fan fiction, learning how to write fan fiction. How do you mourn the loss of fictional characters who have been part of your life for so long? I don't know. The ending has me feeling kind of melancholy. Who better to share that with than the people on this board? 🙂

• Love 11

I think that I'm happy with this ending in the sense that I can breathe a sigh of relief. I was seriously worried that Dabb would pull some crap that would retroactively ruin the show (even though what he did with Chuck kind of already did). Especially since Jensen apparently had such a problem with it.

But as it stands, I'll be happy to re-binge the show someday. Well, maybe up to season 12.

The hardest part for me is that is that I don't think the finality has fully hit me. SPN has been a weekly ritual for wifey & I for several years. But of course there have always been natural breaks. What happened yesterday is that another season ended, which is normal. I suspect that when a couple of months pass, and no new cast members are announced, no new plot details arise, no new posts in the "speculation with spoilers" thread are made, etc. it will really start to sink in that's Supernatural is truly over.

Edited by KayCordingly
  • Love 6

To tell the truth, I've been low-key weepy and melancholy ever since we watched it this afternoon. I think it's because wifey and I have such a strong bond over it, that's been growing stronger for almost a decade now. And now that weekly ritual of watching our favorite show together has ended.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

I'd be good with that.  Normally I would say no it's corny and cheap, it's Bobby in the shower, but Dabb's showrun was clearly designed to deconstruct everything this show was build on, that I'm really good with just erasing and being like "hey you know, none of this happened.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

I'd be good with that.  Normally I would say no it's corny and cheap, it's Bobby in the shower, but Dabb's showrun was clearly designed to deconstruct everything this show was build on, that I'm really good with just erasing and being like "hey you know, none of this happened.

I've been saying for a couple years he could wake up in the courtyard where he met Amara, and write off 4 seasons of crap to a fever dream from carrying the soul bomb. Now that would be the ultimate fuck you to Badd. 

• Love 9

I just watched "Supernatural: The Long Road Home".  I have to admit the more that Singer and Dabb talked the madder I got.  That they talked about how important family was, how important the relationships are.  Then to spout the nonsense how hard they worked on the ending to make it soooo satisfying for all of the fans.

Well either, you really can't produce what you say you are doing or you think that this fan must be stupid.  The show didn't do what you talked about at all.  The season didn't honor the legacy that you got to be part of.  In fact it failed in so many ways.

I get that Jared and Misha really believe what they are saying.  It was nice to hear from Mark Sheppard.  But when they talked about what Mary's story did.  What I saw on the screen and what they said they did failed.  If they had succeeded, I would have been excited this season.

I will admit that except for a few press snippets, I didn't see that much excitement from Jensen.  I get that there was a concern to tell a strong story, but what power did Jensen really have. 

The disconnect between what they think they did and what they actually did...WOW!  I plan never to support a Dabb show ever again. 

I will admit that the ending wasn't as bad as I expected, but I wish they had been capable of producing the show they said they wanted to end with.  That show would have had the ratings to prove it.  It also would have pleased and attempted to please more than just a mere 30% of the fandom.

I get that Misha got the ending he wanted.  So I get why he is pleased.  I just wish I had felt better about it.  If I'm in the minority and most people love it, okay...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Perhaps they could dismiss seasons 14 and 15 as a product of Dean’s Michael-possessed mind?  The sound of Billie’s scythe battering the door at the end of 15x18 reminded me of Michael thudding against the bar cellar door in Dean’s mind when he was trapped in there. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I'm finally at peace with the ending. It was really unoriginal and rather shallow, but after 15 years I'm good with something safe.

After pretty much hate-watching the show for 3 seasons, the finality of the ending and the fact the both guys are at peace helped me let go of all that anger.

Also, I've seen plenty of old friends reach out as the show was ending, including people who had dropped out years ago. Nobody really forgot. It feels nice to be reminded how impactful this show has been for people, and the small part I played in getting this community together.

Dabb still sucks forever, though.

53 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

I just watched "Supernatural: The Long Road Home".

Now that was the real disappointment. Totally surface-level, horribly edited, it just felt like a long form commercial, mostly catering to very casual watchers.

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, BoxManLocke said:

Now that was the real disappointment. Totally surface-level, horribly edited, it just felt like a long form commercial, mostly catering to very casual watchers.

It is the special that got me mad.  Hearing them go on and on about how they were honoring the fans.  I would have been better off not watching it.  It's the disconnect with their results vs what they say they want to do.  If they had written what they said they wanted to write then, well I think the ratings would have been better.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

It is the special that got me mad.  Hearing them go on and on about how they were honoring the fans.  I would have been better off not watching it.  It's the disconnect with their results vs what they say they want to do.  If they had written what they said they wanted to write then, well I think the ratings would have been better.

I know, that's what I'm talking about too.

I tuned out whatever Dabb and Singer were saying anyway, they would never disparage their own "work". But everything else was super boring too and the cast interviews were basically just a few sentences spaced out over 40 minutes for no reason.

Edited by BoxManLocke
9 minutes ago, juppschmitz said:

So, can we agree that Dabb ~nailed~ it? (Someone got there before me? Move along, nothing to see...)

I guess that finally makes Dean Jesus, betrayed, extremely tortured and then nailed for the sins of mankind. Before he went to heaven.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

Perhaps they could dismiss seasons 14 and 15 as a product of Dean’s Michael-possessed mind?  The sound of Billie’s scythe battering the door at the end of 15x18 reminded me of Michael thudding against the bar cellar door in Dean’s mind when he was trapped in there. 

Honestly, the way the last two episodes looked and felt - very off, very unreal, VERY one-dimensional - I think it might be a whole lot easier to do a 6-episode fix-it after all.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I guess that finally makes Dean Jesus, betrayed, extremely tortured and then nailed for the sins of mankind. Before he went to heaven.

Oohhh, almost certainly NOT something Dabb wanted us to think... :DDD

• Love 5
9 hours ago, PAForrest said:

Honestly, the way the last two episodes looked and felt - very off, very unreal, VERY one-dimensional - I think it might be a whole lot easier to do a 6-episode fix-it after all.

Do you think that Covid was the reason? Or maybe the long break between Ep 18 - Cas' sendoff and the two separate "finales"? I'm aware that Badd is the most one-dimensional writer/showrunner that still has a job, but something more was missing, like you said. Thoughts?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Do you think that Covid was the reason? Or maybe the long break between Ep 18 - Cas' sendoff and the two separate "finales"? I'm aware that Badd is the most one-dimensional writer/showrunner that still has a job, but something more was missing, like you said. Thoughts?

I think heaven would have been a lot different- a lot more people- without Covid. Cas, I’m not sure if that was Covid or what- could they not have had one more person besides Bobby and Jack? Seems weird to not have had him maybe at Harvelle’s. I’m completely on board with the end...the drive interspersed with Sam’s life post Dean culminating on the bridge- being just the two boys. I think that’s how it should have been. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I've been saying for a couple years he could wake up in the courtyard where he met Amara, and write off 4 seasons of crap to a fever dream from carrying the soul bomb. Now that would be the ultimate fuck you to Badd. 

Oh, someone should suggest this to Jensen.

Seriously.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

There was a long break, but the scripts were already written before Covid. They had already filmed one day of ep 19. So yeah, maybe more of a memorial for Dean, or a bigger greeting party in Heaven, or an actual face for Sam's wife, but no, I don't the guts of the story changed at all.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

This is brilliant. I like this, I like Michael-induced hallucination, Malak box...all viable launchpads for a redo. 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Oh, someone should suggest this to Jensen.

Seriously.

The only problem with it is how long it takes them to revisit. The guys are going to age out of any kind of do-over in a few years. Though I guess he could have just been in a coma all this time, so he and Sam would continue to age.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:49 AM, tessathereaper said:

God could figure out some way to re-juice himself, etc, etc.

Amara could get bored out of her mind being stuck in there with Jack the Still Vanilla Pudding and Not Particularly Bright blabbing on about raindrops, and jailbreak out and decide to reverse some stuff. Starting with the object of her affection, Dean (she might have figured out already that Dean's betrayal of her was all Chuck's writing it to be that way).

• Love 4

It occurs to me that Badd's super-undoable, final-est finale ever could be undone as simply as Dean getting the paddles in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. Flat line changes to sinus rhythm, Dean opens his eyes, and Sam says 'don't scare me like that again!'

It would explain the fuzziness of Sam's 'family' in the flash forwards. Dean's not sure enough about anything except that Sam would give up hunting, and he'd name his awesome kid after his equally awesome uncle. It was all Dean's version of 'going into the light' before the paramedics brought him back. Boom!

ETA: and if it's a few years from now and the guys have aged too much for that, they just open up on a hunt where Dean is hurt, and while they are waiting for him to get fixed up, they recall that time in the barn when he was so sure he was going to die.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It occurs to me that Badd's super-undoable, final-est finale ever could be undone as simply as Dean getting the paddles in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. Flat line changes to sinus rhythm, Dean opens his eyes, and Sam says 'don't scare me like that again!'

It would explain the fuzziness of Sam's 'family' in the flash forwards. Dean's not sure enough about anything except that Sam would give up hunting, and he'd name his awesome kid after his equally awesome uncle. It was all Dean's version of 'going into the light' before the paramedics brought him back. Boom!

ETA: and if it's a few years from now and the guys have aged too much for that, they just open up on a hunt where Dean is hurt, and while they are waiting for him to get fixed up, they recall that time in the barn when he was so sure he was going to die.

I was thinking djinn today. 

• Love 1

Here is my biggest problem with the ending and it goes right back to their effing mega nonsense of 'God wrote everything'. Except for the very few times when the biggest of situations would arise, the guys never had free will. Free will only seemed to prevail in the most dire circumstances (Dean not killing Sam in S4, Sam not killing Dean when possessed by Lucifer, the end of 15x17).

We know that Chuck wrote everything down to their dialogue and even sometimes thoughts. Remember when they met him in S4 and were at the laundromat, Dean had written pages from Chuck which he read out loud that detailed their conversation in the laundromat right down to even their thoughts. Everything about these guys was scripted with the exception of the previously mentioned extreme circumstances.

So to finally be free from the scripted pages and Dean dies a few weeks later? That is not just the most depressing ending but it's downright diabolical.

Also the only reason why the supernatural existed on the earthly plane was because it was part of God's story. So what, NUgod decided to leave the evil from heaven, hell and purgatory able to run around the earthly plane to continue to kill people? Or is it just purgatory? There shouldn't be any supernatural interference on Earth anymore. There shouldn't be vampires at the end of this story, period. And that's how the show should have ended. These 3 planes have their access to Earth completely cut off and what's left of them on Earth gets send to their respective plane.

Then the guys should have to struggle with real life while also being completely free for literally the first time in their lives. After all, the writers decided that once free of God's writing, the guys went after normal things instead of continuing to hunt (Dean's job application certainly points to that). Which means that God was the one preventing them from ever really having that in the first place. The occasional interludes with normalcy that didn't last seemed to have been God's manipulation in a 'see Dean/Sam, normal always ends in disaster for us so we keep hunting' kind of way. It was not their decision to keep hunting year after year. And if during that life of normalcy one of them slipped on a banana and broke his neck or fell down an elevator shaft, so be it. But literally being free to speak, think and decide for themselves for the first time in their lives, to kill one of them that soon after the achieved freedom...I just can't.

Edited by Smad
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, the ending was bittersweet for both of them - bitter for Dean because he didn‘t got the opportunity to live and explore the chuck-less world, and for Sam because he obviously couldn‘t fully enjoy his longer live without Dean. And sweet because of the reunion in heaven. 
But I would have liked if they would have defeated Chuck some episodes earlier so that we all (the viewers and the Winchesters) could have experienced life after Chuck for some time. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yeah honestly it wouldn't be THAT hard.

22 hours ago, Binns said:

I was thinking djinn today. 

Djinn would actually be perfect.  They make the world feel very "real".

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

But you don't generally die in a Djinn world. Unless it was Sam trapped there.

Maybe the deaths and heaven are still djinn-induced. I guess they aren’t exactly peaceful and happy thoughts tho. What’s the lore? Is it only being content in djinn world with nothing really bad? 

49 minutes ago, Binns said:

Maybe the deaths and heaven are still djinn-induced. I guess they aren’t exactly peaceful and happy thoughts tho. What’s the lore? Is it only being content in djinn world with nothing really bad? 

In the first episode (WIAWSNB) the Djinn was trying to keep Dean in what he thought was a good world for him so he wouldn't fight it. But in Exile on Mainstreet, they were kind of assholes, making him see Yellow Eyes and such. So I guess there isn't one answer.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

t occurs to me that Badd's super-undoable, final-est finale ever could be undone as simply as Dean getting the paddles in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. Flat line changes to sinus rhythm, Dean opens his eyes, and Sam says 'don't scare me like that again!'

One Fanfiction long term writer has already undone it 3 different ways.  One involves Jack, one involves the new Death and one is ending before certain seasons started.  So undoing it isn't an issue.  How might be the question when there are way too many options.  I think the hard part would be figuring out which way worked the best.  lol

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

One Fanfiction long term writer has already undone it 3 different ways.  One involves Jack, one involves the new Death and one is ending before certain seasons started.  So undoing it isn't an issue.  How might be the question when there are way too many options.  I think the hard part would be figuring out which way worked the best.  lol

Fixing it in fanfic is easier than what could realistically fly on tv and still remain believable.  Then again, Roseanne came back and first, discarded an entire season and then forgot the existence of two children. And it's 4 seasons in. 

But yeah, I've seen a lot of examples that would work. The only reboot that 100% not work for me is one without Dean/Jensen. 

• Love 1

The rebar... it should not be in a barn. Clue that something is wrong.

Or they could roll back to Ouroboros. DEAN has been I side guys head all of this time .... either still in the coma or the gorgon head knock let Michael take over 

So many ways to undo the Badd writing 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, 7kstar said:

Which author? I’m having fun w fix it fics!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

In the first episode (WIAWSNB) the Djinn was trying to keep Dean in what he thought was a good world for him so he wouldn't fight it. But in Exile on Mainstreet, they were kind of assholes, making him see Yellow Eyes and such. So I guess there isn't one answer.

I’m actually watching WIAWSNB right now, interestingly enough. It’s not really that great of an existence for Dean when you think about it...he’s the black sheep, a disappointment to his family in a lot of ways. He and Sam are barely talking in that world. The djinn maybe didn’t realize that the world he created wouldn’t work for Dean in the long run. 

ETA I guess it was one wish granted (Mary lived) and from that their lives changed and went on like “normal”. But with Dean retaining his memories of the real world, he would never choose to stay in dream world. 

Edited by Binns
5 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Yeah honestly it wouldn't be THAT hard.

Djinn would actually be perfect.  They make the world feel very "real".

Or...Rowena gave each of them one of her magic "resurrection" spells when she learned they were going up against Chuck, without telling them**.  (After all, one brought her back when she was fried to a Krispy Kritter, and Ketch after he'd been shot in the head.)  So...maybe Dean shows up with a "hiya, Sammy," after the hunter's funeral.  And now, she can keep replacing them as they use them, until they decide they're ready to go, and then either remove the last one or not replace it.  Sam can have his dying in bed scene, and Dean can go in a blaze of glory or when he gets too old to hunt and doesn't want to settle down.  But they get to choose when.  😊

**ETA: Yes, I know they're supposed to be "inserted" somewhere in the body.  But hey, this is Rowena.  Surely she can figure a way around that (or to get it done).

But, TBH, there's no reason why we have to stick to a randomly-inserted canon explanation that made no sense at the time.  This way, at least we can get some use out of it!

Edited by ahrtee

It really doesn't have to be any more complicated than Dean wasn't actually dead. Every thing that happened after he got impaled could be easily explained away with a few lines of dialogue and they are back in business.  

I'd actually prefer this to any kind of resurrection,  so Dean doesn't have to feel guilty for anything, since that always comes with a price tag. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It really doesn't have to be any more complicated than Dean wasn't actually dead. Every thing that happened after he got impaled could be easily explained away with a few lines of dialogue and they are back in business.  

I'd actually prefer this to any kind of resurrection,  so Dean doesn't have to feel guilty for anything, since that always comes with a price tag. 

IDK.  That was a pretty definitive death scene, not to mention the pyre and mopey Sam for years.  It would take a lot of 'splainers (hopefully, if we want any reboot to be logical rather than writers just pulling things from their asses like the current crop do.)  

A gift from Rowena shouldn't come with a price tag or make Dean feel guilty. *shrug* Just another thought.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Binns said:

I’m actually watching WIAWSNB right now, interestingly enough. It’s not really that great of an existence for Dean when you think about it...he’s the black sheep, a disappointment to his family in a lot of ways. He and Sam are barely talking in that world. The djinn maybe didn’t realize that the world he created wouldn’t work for Dean in the long run. 

ETA I guess it was one wish granted (Mary lived) and from that their lives changed and went on like “normal”. But with Dean retaining his memories of the real world, he would never choose to stay in dream world. 

I don't think it went "normal". Why would Dean naturally be the loser in a normal life? That is a ridiculous notion to me. And Sam naturally be the wonderboy always and ever? What Gary Stu shield is he supposed to have? It was just the only way Dean could imagine that because he puts himself down some more.

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 2
Just now, Aeryn13 said:

I don't think it went "normal". Why would Dean naturally be the loser in a normal life? That isa ridiculous notion to me. And Sam naturally be the wonderboy always and ever? What Gary Stu shield is he supposed to have? It was just the only way Dean could imagine that because he puts himself down some more.

Yeah it was that way in Dean's head because his self worth was literally so low even his DREAM word wasn't anything that great for him, it was his mother being  happy and Sam being happy.  Which is yet another reason why he deserved to live - all those things he thought he didn't deserve, he finally had the chance to try.

• Love 5

Anyway, I mean who is to say it's all in Dean's head?  Maybe SAM can be the one whose head it's all in.

In fact it might work better that way, if it's actually Sam's coma dream or Djinn dream(then the Sam pimping and making everything about Sam makes sense).  Plus it would neatly get rid of Sam's "normal" life with no guilt involved for anyone because it never existed anyway.

Sam gets knocked out in the episode, at that point Dean is on his own blah blah gets impaled - that's from Sam's injury.  In reality Dean managed to defeat the vampires and Sam's taken to a hospital, he's in the coma for however long, finally wakes up and we can have our movie or mini-series. 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ahrtee said:

IDK.  That was a pretty definitive death scene, not to mention the pyre and mopey Sam for years.  It would take a lot of 'splainers (hopefully, if we want any reboot to be logical rather than writers just pulling things from their asses like the current crop do.)  

A gift from Rowena shouldn't come with a price tag or make Dean feel guilty. *shrug* Just another thought.

It was definitive in Dean's head. How many stories are there about people being outside their bodies, experiencing seeing loved ones, etc., only to be revived? I think it would be in character for Dean to comfort himself with the idea that Sam has a good life after he's gone, And the lack of pretty much anyone else except Sam and another Dean in those visions supports it.

Just saying, it's at least as believable as anything else that's happened on this show, and wouldn't require jumping through too many hoops.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It was definitive in Dean's head. How many stories are there about people being outside their bodies, experiencing seeing loved ones, etc., only to be revived? I think it would be in character for Dean to comfort himself with the idea that Sam has a good life after he's gone, And the lack of pretty much anyone else except Sam and another Dean in those visions supports it.

Just saying, it's at least as believable as anything else that's happened on this show, and wouldn't require jumping through too many hoops.

There are all kinds of reset/do overs that writers (good OR bad) can come up with, from the very simple ("it was all a dream") to the complicated (time travel/angelic, demonic or magical intervention/any combination).  I was just tossing out one more, since everyone seemed to be coming up with different possibilities.☺️ 

But, of course, it doesn't matter what any of us think would be the best plan, except as fanfic ideas.  So let's get writing, folks!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Do share the author - it sounds like a great read.