Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Ending

Message added by ohjoy

Please use this topic to discussion about your general speculation and thoughts on the upcoming end of the series only. Keep long discussions on other topics (overall show history, media/social media updates, Bitch vs. Jerk, etc.) to the appropriate other topic, as usual. Thank you.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Dabb said in an interview that the series will end where it started.  When it first started - the very, very beginning - the guys were separated.  Maybe I’m reading too much into his words tho.

Sam has a girl and Dean is hunting alone.

He stops to pick up a hitcher...  it's Cas!

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • LOL 3
18 hours ago, Terese said:

I've never understood the need for  adefinitive end to a story, especially in terms of characters. Unless it is integral to the story, let it be. Think of all the people we have known in our lives. Just because we don't see or know them, doesn't mean that they and their stories cease to exist. There is a conceit to that notion. And I think in this case, it is more along the lines of, "if I can't have it, nobody can." 

It's  a fu.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Dabb said in an interview that the series will end where it started.  When it first started - the very, very beginning - the guys were separated.  Maybe I’m reading too much into his words tho.

Wouldn't surprise me. They've been pushing the "Sammy wants to go to college and live a normal settled-down life" narrative a lot...especially this season.

Putting JP's best episode ever stuff aside, I keep asking myself what would have made Jensen feel down on it, at first, and I keep coming back to the brothers being separated, somehow, or their dying, even if it is together.

An end to their hunting lives?

I guess that would be something he'd possibly dislike, too, but Kripke's words to him about understanding that it was always going to end this way portends something more ominous, IMO. 

And they are both tragic heroes in many ways, IMO; Dean especially. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Putting JP's best episode ever stuff aside, I keep asking myself what would have made Jensen feel down on it, at first, and I keep coming back to the brothers being separated, somehow, or their dying, even if it is together.

I guess that would be something he'd possibly dislike, too, but Kripke's words to him about understanding that it was always going to end this way portends something more ominous, IMO. 

I think in cons before he’s said his ideal ending is going out in a blaze of glory, so I feel like that didn’t happen. Or maybe that’s Dean’s ideal ending, lol. 

• Love 1

When Jack was envisioned by Castiel to bring paradise on Earth, I later imagined that Sam and Dean would retire from hunting, as there would be nothing to hunt. There would be peace, but no purpose beyond the mundane. It would appear that paradise on Earth was forgotten. 

I don't know what if anything Kripke had to say; and anything Jensen had to say about their conversation and reactions would have been augmented or self-censored. Not to say duplicitous or cautious, simply tailored for the public. He did focus of the finality of the ending as being what he couldn't wrap his mind around. I am assuming he was not referring to The Ending of the show, therefore the character, but rather the actual ending of Dean. That's personal. I suppose it could be a metaphorical ending with respect to hunting or that stage of his life. But, you don't spend two weeks agonizing over your character transitioning. 

I think he dies, for real and forever. Probably during a hunt. I think he meets Bobby in Heaven. Maybe there will be a final moment, years later, where Sam joins him. Or maybe they both die together. 

I can't help but realize what has been stressed this season. The writers gave them armor and luck. They don't have that anymore. They made a point to have Jack state that he will not be involved. 

The said part for me is not that they die. That's inevitable. It is that so much of who they are and what they stood for was undermined this season or put into question. They can have Chuck say that they were interesting because they defied him. However, they took the Winchesters to the point of being hamsters and puppets, incompetent and controlled too many times for Chuck's words to seem valid. What we saw this season is what is remembered about this season, not what is said.  Had these changes not been so abrupt and obvious, they would carry more weight. I think, in the long run, it will be this season that is forgotten.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Myrelle said:

From what Jared said at Comic Con, he always loved the ending because it's the most final finality in finalville. Conversely, maybe it hit Jensen hard to hear "yup, they die at the end and it's super-final".

For me dying is not the problem, or separation. IT is the how and especially the legacy aspect.

• Love 5

If it ends, as some expect, with one or both dying, I would be genuinely worried about the mental health of some parts of he fandom who see this as a lot more than a TV show.  When you see some of the comments on FB groups, you have to wonder how people will cope.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I wonder if it will be a Lost-like ending: one of them dies in the “present” on a hunt, and one dies after going on and living a full life without the other, and they end up moving on into whatever after life together.

Edited by bethy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, bethy said:

I wonder if it will be a Lost-like ending: one of them dies in the “present” on a hunt, and one dies after going on and living a full life without the other, and they end up moving on into whatever after life together.

Well they have plagiarized just about everything else. If John walks up to them and says, "some died before you and some long after you," I'll be pissed. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bethy said:

This is just soapy enough to be possible, and for Jensen to dislike it, and for Kripke to think it inevitable (provided it's Dean that died and Sam that had the long, normal life).

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

This is just soapy enough to be possible, and for Jensen to dislike it, and for Kripke to think it inevitable (provided it's Dean that died and Sam that had the long, normal life).

One brother dying early and the other having an implied long happy life offscreen before a final reunion scene in the afterlife is 100 % how Vampire Diaries ended. Seriously, it's a 1:1 description of its Series Finale. Only it was actually pretty touching and meaningful there and choked me right up. But that was because that show always worked on a different level than SPN.

In that case for SPN for the life of me I couldn't understamd why Eileen wouldn't be in it because you would expect the whole nine yards, including Sam having a son that he names Dean and all that.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SueB said:

I've been trying to find the right way to "prep" for the finale.  I think spending some time going through each and every video in this list was the perfect choice for me.

https://tvline.com/lists/supernatural-best-music-moments-list/#comment-list-wrapper

That is a great collection. Renegade will always be #1 on the list for me, but there are so many really great music cues.

For better or worse, it's really kind of hard to imagine that less than 48 hours from now, it'll all be in the history books.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

One brother dying early and the other having an implied long happy life offscreen before a final reunion scene in the afterlife is 100 % how Vampire Diaries ended. Seriously, it's a 1:1 description of its Series Finale. Only it was actually pretty touching and meaningful there and choked me right up. But that was because that show always worked on a different level than SPN.

In that case for SPN for the life of me I couldn't understamd why Eileen wouldn't be in it because you would expect the whole nine yards, including Sam having a son that he names Dean and all that.

Twin boys that he names Garth and Castiel.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That is a great collection. Renegade will always be #1 on the list for me, but there are so many really great music cues.

For better or worse, it's really kind of hard to imagine that less than 48 hours from now, it'll all be in the history books.

Aww, Crystal Ship gets no love on those lists. Yet to me one of the greatest song choices in the show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SueB said:

I've been trying to find the right way to "prep" for the finale.  I think spending some time going through each and every video in this list was the perfect choice for me.

https://tvline.com/lists/supernatural-best-music-moments-list/#comment-list-wrapper

Thank you for this! I go back and forth between Reaper and Renegade for my favorite music moment. I just started my rewatch and just watched “Faith”. Man, they used to have amazing music. Hope they pull something awesome off Thursday. 

12 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Aww, Crystal Ship gets no love on those lists. Yet to me one of the greatest song choices in the show.

Remind me of what that was?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Binns said:

Remind me of what that was?

In Season 2, Born under a Bad Sign. Sam, possessed by Meg, has knocked out Jo and she slowly comes to while he ties her up while Crystal Ship by the Doors plays. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Aeryn13 said:

In Season 2, Born under a Bad Sign. Sam, possessed by Meg, has knocked out Jo and she slowly comes to while he ties her up while Crystal Ship by the Doors plays. 

Jared did a good job with that variation of Meg.....still all kinds of triggers...

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Oooooooh yes!!! Great one. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

One of my favorites was the use of "Can't Find My Way Home" with Steve Winwood and Blind Faith, at the very end of Season 9, right before Crowley's monologue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIR_H9hIA5g&t=105s

Also the Yardbirds' "Turn Into Earth", for Castiel regaining his memories as an angel in Season 7. They only used a small sample, but here is the whole song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWJanO8-jRw  Such a haunting sound.

Edited by Bergamot
  • Love 3

Anybody drinking tonight? Take a drink if/when:

- Dean says 'sorry'

- Sam says 'get this'

- Bobby (or Not!Bobby) says idjit

- Dean says 'Sammy'

- Sammy gives a bitchface

- Dean caresses Baby

- Biggersons or Gas 'n Sip make an appearance

Two drinks if:

- the phrase 'shotgun shuts his cakehole' is included anywhere in the episode

- one last Jerk/Bitch happens

Finish the bottle (for me anyway):

- Dean dies

Finish the bottle and throw it at the screen, drive to Cali and find Badd with the broken pieces:

- Dean dies in anything but a heroic, selfless fashion

(feel free to add to the list)

• Love 5

O yeah, the wine comes out tonight. Love drinking games - unfortunately they get the better of me. 😞 From your list, @gonzosgirrl, I'll be having several glasses! And if Dean dies in any non heroic way, I'll try to find a real witch with real magic, and see what horrible spell we can cast upon Badd!!!!

Edited by FlickChick
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, FlickChick said:

And if Dean dies in any non heroic way, I'll try to find a real witch with real magic, and see what horrible spell we can cast upon Badd!!!!

Ya know, there's nothing stopping us from doing this, either way.  Just saying. 

• LOL 7

Unfortunately, we got ROKU. So I won't be able to watch it with you guys tonight. Ugh! I'm normally not a tv watcher (that's wifey's department) so I normally couldn't care less that we don't get antenna tv. But tonight it's KILLING ME! 

The hardest part is going to be resisting sneaking a peek at the forums & groups and spoiling myself. But I've got apple pie and stuff for bacon cheeseburgers for wifey & I while watching it tomorrow afternoon. So I really don't want to spoil tomorrow's experience. Which means in a couple of hours I'm probably going to stay off of social media until we watch it.

• Love 1

I am probably projecting, but watching Jensen in the special, and at the end of the episode, I really do think he is done with Supernatural. He looked tired and ready for it to be over. I think he was teasing us all these months to throw us off the ending (or at least have some doubts). Personally,  I believe this really was the end of Supernatural. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I am probably projecting, but watching Jensen in the special, and at the end of the episode, I really do think he is done with Supernatural. He looked tired and ready for it to be over. I think he was teasing us all these months to throw us off the ending (or at least have some doubts). Personally,  I believe this really was the end of Supernatural. 

Yeah, I agree. There's really no way of bringing the brothers back again for one more ride.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PAForrest said:

Yeah, I agree. There's really no way of bringing the brothers back again for one more ride.

There is always a way.

The New God could send them on a special hunt/mission-especially because he wants to stay "hands-off" and all that.

But I also think that Jensen wants to give it a good, long rest for now.

He has to be exhausted after fighting the writing for so long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It may be the end but I don't think he was teasing to throw us off the ending, IMO he doesn't do that, not like that.  He did say in like 5 years which is plenty of time to get over the fatigue of fighting for the character and the quality and being blatantly ignored and hopefully to get better writers.  He seems quite serious to me about it.  Whether it'll happen who knows, life can get in the way, but it comes across to me that he quite genuinely means it.  IMO the reason he kept mentioning how much he disliked the ending initially is because he was never really sold on it but he couldn't do anything about it and had to sell the party line. Otherwise he might have mentioned it once or twice last year, but he was telling that story right up until this week.  It was basically like a warning IMO.

And its Supernatural, there is always a way.  Like they could even get pulled out of Heaven, not of their choosing.  Someone could screw up time.  God could figure out some way to re-juice himself, etc, etc.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Good grief, I hated the choice of ending (for me, Dean should have had a heroic death, if he couldn’t have a long and fulfilled life), but that has churned up my emotions - what’s with that?  And I don’t think Jared will get the credit he deserves for his performance either - the emotions got me there.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

Good grief, I hated the choice of ending (for me, Dean should have had a heroic death, if he couldn’t have a long and fulfilled life), but that has churned up my emotions - what’s with that?  And I don’t think Jared will get the credit he deserves for his performance either - the emotions got me there.

Jared did do a great job! I was proud of him. Jensen was always going to be terrific. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Binns said:

Jared did do a great job! I was proud of him. Jensen was always going to be terrific. 

That's it in a nutshell IMO. Jensen is 99% of the time great. Jared pulls off a made-for-theEmmy-reel gift scene once in a blue moon (my opinion), one that played to the likely real emotions he was feeling anyway, and will get all the attention. Probably with Jensen leading the cheer, while deferring his own outstanding performance. The End anyone? 

I'm so glad this is all in the rear view mirror now. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That's it in a nutshell IMO. Jensen is 99% of the time great. Jared pulls off a made-for-theEmmy-reel gift scene once in a blue moon (my opinion), one that played to the likely real emotions he was feeling anyway, and will get all the attention. Probably with Jensen leading the cheer, while deferring his own outstanding performance. The End anyone? 

It’s very Sam and Dean, isn’t it? Jensen deferring to Jared like Dean put Sam on a pedestal. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Binns said:

It’s very Sam and Dean, isn’t it? Jensen deferring to Jared like Dean put Sam on a pedestal. 

That uglyness is bad enough with fictional characters but with real people? Yikes.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

That uglyness is bad enough with fictional characters but with real people? Yikes.

I mean, yes, but it’s a choice Jensen makes. He does have some agency here. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Binns said:

I mean, yes, but it’s a choice Jensen makes. He does have some agency here. 

I know but I don't like seeing it romanticized which I often do. Hopefully, he stops that now he is free from this show.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Any casting director with an ounce of brains can surely see the brilliance in Jensen. 

Jensen has often referred to Jared’s performance at the end of The End. The compliment is never returned (to my knowledge) yet Jensen carried the heavy load up until the final 5 minutes. It was and still is an outstanding performance. Same clothes, same hair, same lighting, yet we always knew which Dean was which. Even ‘other’ Buffy had to have a face scar so viewers knew which Buffy was which during the scene. 

• Love 8

Personally, I do hope it gets revived on Netflix or some other platform in a few years, after Padalecki and Ackles get a break for a while to be with their families or experiment with other projects if that's what they want. If that never happens, I'm content with this ending, but nothing would ever really stop the show from re-commencing story-wise, imo. Cas and Jack could easily bring them back for X reason, maybe bring Bobby back, too. For me, the show was at its peak when Sam, Dean, and Bobby were the core.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Personally, I do hope it gets revived on Netflix or some other platform in a few years, after Padalecki and Ackles get a break for a while to be with their families or experiment with other projects if that's what they want. If that never happens, I'm content with this ending, but nothing would ever really stop the show from re-commencing story-wise, imo. Cas and Jack could easily bring them back for X reason, maybe bring Bobby back, too. For me, the show was at its peak when Sam, Dean, and Bobby were the core.

I would love to see it come back with the original cast, but I'm not sure that will ever happen now.  I can see, in the future, them trying a reboot with "The Young Winchesters" or something similar, mining all those angsty teenage years when they were hunting and fighting with John.  It might actually work if they have good enough actors for the boys.  They could even have guest appearances from Bobby, Pastor Jim, and even Ellen/Jo (canon notwithstanding.)  Sounds like a CW show to me (maybe Jensen's production company can do it!)  

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I would love to see it come back with the original cast, but I'm not sure that will ever happen now.  I can see, in the future, them trying a reboot with "The Young Winchesters" or something similar, mining all those angsty teenage years when they were hunting and fighting with John.  It might actually work if they have good enough actors for the boys.  They could even have guest appearances from Bobby, Pastor Jim, and even Ellen/Jo (canon notwithstanding.)  Sounds like a CW show to me (maybe Jensen's production company can do it!)  

The Adventures of Sam & Dean II. You know, since Uncle Dean is dead and all. Lots of years  to cover there. 

Interesting, that I prefer Michael's "ending" holding-pattern concept for Dean more. At least the Dean running his own bar for a few years part.. But I would add people who love, care and respect him...Not totally out of hunting but there being a touchbase for Hunters. Sam running his Hunter Training Bunker School or whatever...

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, shoetingstar said:

Interesting, that I prefer Michael's "ending" holding-pattern concept for Dean more. At least the Dean running his own bar for a few years part.. But I would add people who love, care and respect him...Not totally out of hunting but there being a touchbase for Hunters. Sam running his Hunter Training Bunker School or whatever...

It's pretty hard to top how uninspired and bad this ending was.  I really just feel insulted as a fan and I feel insulted for Dean Winchester as a character and Jensen as an actor who devoted 15 years of his life to building and developing, often in the face of great imcompetence on the part of the writers, Dean only to have it wiped out like that.  Heck even Sam.  The whole ending was just pathetic and weak IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5