Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Ending

Message added by ohjoy

Please use this topic to discussion about your general speculation and thoughts on the upcoming end of the series only. Keep long discussions on other topics (overall show history, media/social media updates, Bitch vs. Jerk, etc.) to the appropriate other topic, as usual. Thank you.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

As an actor that would get me thinking along the lines of "oh boy, I hope fans won't hate our ending this much". That is what I think he expressed. For people to possibly mull it over. Honestly, I don't believe that will happen. People will either have a visceral emotional reaction in one or the other direction. And that will stick for the most part.

How I met your mother was all set to get a spin-off - until their Series Finale aired, burned down the internet and then it was bye-bye spin-off. Of the four sequel shows to GOT that were in talks, how many will go in production now? One? None?

A bad ending can absolutely sour a show in viewer's minds. I don't even think Jensen hated it specifically for Dean's ending but for the overall show. Jared once said he thinks everyone who see the "being done" part like him would like it. For him lollipop world and/or domestic Sam might be the logical conclusion to the journey. I'm just not sure he has a lot of backers for that particular wish.

Visceral reaction is the bottom line, and a negative reaction rarely if ever leads to a happy-happy-joy-joy reaction later - and Jensen is smart enough to know that. If there's a change, it's usually in the opposite direction as I saw after the season five finale - fans, especially Dean fans, who desperately wanted to think it was a better episode than it was later came to the conclusion they hated it.

And your average viewer - who outnumber the fan base by untold numbers - will not put in any effort into changing their opinion. They'll see it, they'll feel what they feel, and move on. However, when it comes to syndication, that's where those knee-jerk opinions over a bad finale can royally screw things up if viewers feel turned off enough that they don't want to invest anymore time into syndication. HIMYM is one of the most extreme examples, as is too GoT. Of the four spin-offs, their number was whittled down to one after the finale backlash.

I find I have a hard to impossible time watching the show in syndication now, because what came before Dabbernatural is such a different animal, what with all the previous canon trashing and episode-episode water pistols, that we are looking at two entirely different shows. And for me to care about what came before, I have to decide where that first show ends - and nothing truly feels like a satisfactory ending for Supernatural the Original.

I don't know what Dabb and Singer are going to do - there are really only a few options, none of them great. All I know for sure is that he's openly scorching the earth, and his pronouncement that he's planned it so nothing can come after sounds like a whole lot of bitter and no sweet at all. In other words, sounds like Dabb.

Edited by PAForrest
addition
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

There have been fans that literally rewrote the ending of series.  I think for me it would be ignore the BMoL and start with Mary showing up.  Create some different reactions and you could still have the boys finding out Mary wasn't a saint.  She enjoyed being independent but also trying to figure out how to have a relationship with her grown sons that grew up in the life she never wanted them to know about.  End it on the shot of the boys slamming the trunk saying we've got work to do.  I would rather that than most likely anything that Dabb will do.

3 hours ago, Myrelle said:

My fear is that he wants to burn it all down to the ground so badly that, like those shows Aeryn mentioned, any kind of a spin-off or furthering of the story through a movie, would not receive the necessary backing in order for it to happen.

I wonder if we'll ever get more on what's presently happening BTS of this show.

Clearly the network was not ready to end it. Not with the news that renewals for s16 and 17 were already in place.

Dean was in a coma in Ouroboros. They can always backtrack to that and say everything after that was in his head. 

It is fixable.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

Dean was in a coma in Ouroboros. They can always backtrack to that and say everything after that was in his head. 

It is fixable.

The problem is that pissant Dabb doesn't want to fix it. He doesn't even want it to be good enough to fix - just scraps of the original story. Or better yet, the dog even ate the scraps. What an ass.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, 7kstar said:

There have been fans that literally rewrote the ending of series. 

Yeah, but that's fan fiction, it's not canon. Granted, it feels like there is no canon anymore, and what was canon is being treated like crap, or as if it never existed at all.

Still, when I think back on this show, I have to cling to something that aired on screen, and that's where it's hard to find a definitive Supernatural (not Dabbernatural) ending. The closest, I guess, would be the season 11 finale, minus the the very last scene. Or trying to forget the vile narcissistic creature Mary became after her appearance in front of Dean and ending it all at that moment, the reveal of her return. The End.

It's not perfect, it's not truly satisfying - and that's the problem. But at least it's somewhere vaguely in the realm of the legit Supernatural universe, before the series went completely off the rails and became Dabb's toys that he enjoys setting fire to in the backyard.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

Yeah, but that's fan fiction, it's not canon. Granted, it feels like there is no canon anymore, and what was canon is being treated like crap, or as if it never existed at all.

Still, when I think back on this show, I have to cling to something that aired on screen, and that's where it's hard to find a definitive Supernatural (not Dabbernatural) ending. The closest, I guess, would be the season 11 finale, minus the the very last scene. Or trying to forget the vile narcissistic creature Mary became after her appearance in front of Dean and ending it all at that moment, the reveal of her return. The End.

It's not perfect, it's not truly satisfying - and that's the problem. But at least it's somewhere vaguely in the realm of the legit Supernatural universe, before the series went completely off the rails and became Dabb's toys that he enjoys setting fire to in the backyard.

It's either the Season 11 Finale or, weirdly enough, the Season 1 Finale. Yes, that ended on a huge cliffhanger but it could work. Though that would count out a lot of legit good episodes as well. So probably Season 11. Which I agree is not that satisfying as a Series ending. But likely much better than what Dabb will do.

• Love 5

For me its season 11.

Dean saved the world with his heart an his compassion.  Since he gave Amara what she wanted so she gave him what he wanted.  When he got back to the bunker Benny was waiting for him.  Dean left Sam a note saying 'gone hunting" threw the shot gun in the trunk and told Benny "we got work to do."

That was exactly the way it happened. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, PinkChicken said:

Or, hear me out: season 8 finale... also very far from perfect but leave out the angels falling or the part where the trial juice was killing Sam anyway. They came, they saw, they did the trials, they made their choice - & end on the “we got work to do” vibe 

I kind of loathed the Season 8 Finale, just like the entire back half of Season 8 and that abominable trials story so that is not gonna work for me.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, PinkChicken said:

Hahaha Like Deans speech to Mary in s12 I think season 8 brought it together in the end & did enough to bring it round that I don’t hate it, tho personally its still 11 for me.
But I’d forgive a lot for a more open ended ending as far as the world is concerned. 

Heh, neither Season 8 nor Season 12 did the slightest thing for me with their respective Finales. The speech to Mary was just about worthless in context of how it was all framed.

If open-ended, I think Season 2 could work as an ending.

In general, I have nothing against a definitive ending and if that was the only worry about the Series Finale from Dabb, I wouldn`t have a problem with it. It`s just how I envision Dabb is gonna end it all, that will be the problem. And you know, he would eff it up if it was a closed ending, an open ending, a cliffhanger or anything in between. He is a hack no matter what. 

• Love 3

This is out there...

What if they go the "Dallas" route and erase a big chunk of what we"ve scene with it was all a dresm... Bear with me as I flesh this out.

This hypothesis explains why Amara would possess Sam. Why everything is off and flat. Why Dean seems like a spectator.  The emphasis on fate, writing and books, Why there is such an emphasis on being controlled, losing controlled and being operated like a puppet  The emphasis on Super Monsters. The retirement dream of owning a bar. Everybody dying. Jack coming back only he is behaving exactly how he was before when Dean had to put him down. Cas betraying Dean and Dean being unable to trust him. Purgatory being Empty, Dean literally sleeping, A super compliant Michael. Benny being dead and Eve running it... none of that made sense.

All of these things together... they make me think that maybe just maybe Dean was never freed in Nihilism and/or he is still in the coma. Michael wanted Chuck dead. Michael was obsessed with Chuck's stories. Michael wanted to destroy this world with his super Monster Apocalypse. We are seeing Chuck's stories, themes of bodily control and super Monsters come up a lot. Dean in particular seems irate about the bodily control issues.

So ... is it possible we are seeing a season + in Dean's head.

I know it's crazy. I just think it's strange that the future Chuck showed Sam involved super monsters... it got me thinking...

• Love 1

Jared is satisfied, Jensen had to be talked into it. That’s concerning.

It doesn’t matter if they die or not because death means nothing now. But a future Supernatural project is very likely I’d think.

So let’s hope that by the final episode that heaven is sorted and Chuck has gone away, because I don’t want any future movie to be about them!

• Love 4

For whatever it's worth, I don't think there will be a future project - movie, mini-series. I think that once you close the book on 15 seasons, people move on to other projects; time passes and it becomes too difficult to put together. I would hope that if they chose to do something, it wouldn't turn out like the second "X-Files" movie. That should never have been made and IMO was an embarrassment to the series and its leads.

• Useful 1

You make good points.  Although I sense the Js are genuine when they say they’re keen, the logistics of pulling it all together could be difficult.

But I think it would be great to see the Winchesters’ adventures outside the tight confines of a TV series.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

So what if the way the  series ends is that instead of Chuck disappearing (Swan Song) it's the Winchesters that disappear.  Jack fixes the world so Chucks creation doesn't need those two characters anymore.

That would be a twist for sure. I don't know if that's something Jensen wouldn't like - I'm always trying to think of why Jensen didn't like the ending. Having the Winchesters wiped off the board entirely, as if they never existed, could be a reason.

Though wouldn't that still leave Chuckles to create havoc in other ways? If he's still around, he can still do damage.

ETA: But reading your description again, that would be a quintessential petty Dabb move - announce to the universe that the Winchesters aren't unnecessary. After all, isn't that what he's been trying to sell all along? Yes, Jensen would despise that. He wouldn't be the only one either.

Edited by PAForrest
addition
  • Love 5

After watching Galaxy Brain:  instead of filming the last two episodes whenever they get the chance to, instead they can eliminate the last two minutes of ep. 18 (or whatever has been already filmed) and instead, show Chuck in the background smirking, then snapping his fingers and we see a huge asteroid heading straight to camera and getting bigger....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was reading an article from the show runners of Prodigal Son.  They had an ending in mind right from the start of the season, and they ended up shooting the finale out of order.  Then they went back to their normal schedule.  So when it became clear that the virus was going to impact filming.  They revamped ep 17 to make it fit the finale and basically scrapped 18 and 19. 

I wish SPN had done something like that.  I'd rather have a definitive ending even if it meant 2 or 3 less eps.  Given that nothing has really happened all season, I don't see it being that hard. 

I know they all want to film the ending, and I know they will do everything in their power to to do so, but nothing is guaranteed.  If for some reason it doesn't that means the shows legacy ends on a (not sure if writers for eps are spoilers so tagging just in case.

Spoiler

Beren's ep

That's worse. 

Obviously JMO, but I think things will begin opening up in June. So I think that filming (only three weeks, right) will be done by the end of July; production after that. It's my hope that we will be able to see the last seven episodes in the fall, ending before the Christmas holiday. We'll see. Like you said, nothing is guaranteed, but I do believe they will try to move heaven and earth (heh) to get this series done.

• Love 1

Whatever they do, I hope they keep their word to air the final episodes without a break. I did read that somewhere,  I'm sure.  There is, IMO, no percentage in a ratings draw at this point. For once, just put the fans first and  put us out of our misery  give us what we want. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Obviously JMO, but I think things will begin opening up in June. So I think that filming (only three weeks, right) will be done by the end of July; production after that. It's my hope that we will be able to see the last seven episodes in the fall, ending before the Christmas holiday. We'll see. Like you said, nothing is guaranteed, but I do believe they will try to move heaven and earth (heh) to get this series done.

I think they completed filming on five eps and only had the final 2 to go.  The others are stuck in post-production.  Again JMO, I think the BTS staff will be able to get back sooner than the actors (fewer staff required for each section and they can work separately instead of all hands on deck as in filming) so it's possible that they might revamp those 5 eps to come up with an ending that would only require minor reshooting instead of full cast and crew.  If I had more faith in the writers I might think it would help (the same way the shortened season 3 actually worked well by compressing and eliminating unnecessary filler).  As it is, I have no faith that the next 5 eps will be anything other than junk leading up to a "grand finale" we won't necessarily like, so I wouldn't mind having them rethink, cut and prune.  It would (probably) be better than 4 nonsense filler eps then 3 with everything and the kitchen sink tossed in.  JMO, of course.

BTW, this article https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/gallery/a-guide-to-every-tv-show-that-was-forced-to-end-early-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic/ss-BB13tGq8?li=BBnb7Kz 

lists all the shows that missed their season or series finale.  It mentioned many that did wind up with shortened seasons/revamped eps that turned into season finales and those with plans to finish up, but for SPN it just said the ending was on hold indefinitely.    

1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

For once, just put the fans first and  put us out of our misery  give us what we want. 

I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed, and the best we can hope is to "put us out of our misery."  

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Obviously JMO, but I think things will begin opening up in June

Things in the US seem to be getting worse, not better.  So how would it work with actors coming in.  Would they have to quarantine for 2 weeks before they even start filming?

4 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Things in the US seem to be getting worse, not better.  So how would it work with actors coming in.  Would they have to quarantine for 2 weeks before they even start filming?

That's assuming Canada would even let them in.  Right now I think they're only allowing critical workers across the border.  I don't think actors are considered "critical" yet.  Maybe in a few more weeks when we even run out of reruns.  

1 minute ago, ahrtee said:

That's assuming Canada would even let them in.  Right now I think they're only allowing critical workers across the border.  I don't think actors are considered "critical" yet.  Maybe in a few more weeks when we even run out of reruns.  

I was also reading that if filming resumes, there would be no love scenes, kissing scenes, or action/fight scenes in order to abide by social distance rules.  

So basically all eps would be standing around and talking.  Which fits with this season.  lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

With the way things are going, it is entirely possible that "fall Season" this year is done and new episodes of shows won't air until next year. So SPN and others may finish/resume in 2021. 

• Useful 1

Ok, here's my ending: it's announced that due to loss of focus, funding, momentum, personnel, etc, Supernatural is cancelled. Cut to Chuck grinning, saying, "that was easy, let's see what else is on". Pull back to show him eating junk food on a living room couch. He turns on the tv, which displays some generic superhero show.

Fade to black.

On 5/19/2020 at 5:35 PM, dr pepper said:

Pull back to show him eating junk food on a living room couch. He turns on the tv, which displays

Dean kicking his ASS.  The yes I'd be on board.  I really only came here to tell you I love your screen name, Dr. Pepper, and also you're namesake to which I am hopelessly addicted.  

• Love 2
On 5/19/2020 at 3:35 PM, dr pepper said:

Ok, here's my ending: it's announced that due to loss of focus, funding, momentum, personnel, etc, Supernatural is cancelled. Cut to Chuck grinning, saying, "that was easy, let's see what else is on". Pull back to show him eating junk food on a living room couch. He turns on the tv, which displays some generic superhero show.

Fade to black.

Gasp!

On 5/21/2020 at 6:41 AM, trudysmom said:

I really only came here to tell you I love your screen name, Dr. Pepper, and also you're namesake to which I am hopelessly addicted.  

Thanks, but it's "Dr Pepper", no period. I think they dropped it back in the 40s. Yeah, i've been using this handle since the bbs days. I used to polish off two big bottles at a gaming session, but alas, now i have to be more restrained for the sake of my weight :(

• Love 1

I have set my expectations so low for the series finale even the bottom of the 6' grave Dabb has dug for the show seems too high.  I'm guessing that he will find a low not even the most cynical viewer could imagine.

• Love 1

I read that Toronto isn't letting the Bluejays back into the country to play baseball.  So if they're not allowed in, I guess a couple of guys from one of the hottest hotspots in Texas may not be, either.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

In a Zoom interview posted here, Jensen offers an interesting comment about the ending that I've never heard before. He says that the penultimate episode is like a 'season finale' and then the last episode, the series finale.

That's interesting. That would indicate wrapping up Chuck in the penultimate and then do what exactly in the Finale? Flash-forwards? Settled-down life? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

That's interesting. That would indicate wrapping up Chuck in the penultimate and then do what exactly in the Finale? Flash-forwards? Settled-down life? 

That's exactly how I took it - a flash forward. And I think that could be really great. And also kind of glad because I don't want more God crap.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

That's exactly how I took it - a flash forward. And I think that could be really great. And also kind of glad because I don't want more God crap.

I was 50 / 50 on the chances of flashforwards before. But the problem is more, how do you fill an entire episode with basically wrap-up? I know some shows do that quite successfully but those shows were structured differently. 

Before, I would have expected maybe 30 minutes of the episode resolving the Seasonal story and the rest as wrap-up but that wouldn`t fit with Jensen`s comment at all. 

The Arrow Series Finale was basically just completely wrap-up but even that was due to very specific circumstances a bit outside of the show.

• Useful 1

How does one ‘wrap up’ a supernatural show? There’s always going to be something scary and dangerous floating around for them to hunt.

Wrap up sounds like the Winchesters retire..........or die. 😱

3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

or die. 😱

I can't see them retiring if there are still monsters....and angels and demons....in the world. Unless because Dabb Jack saves the world from evil so the Winchesters can retire I can't see any other way out for them.

• Useful 1

I don’t like that the last episode will be a wrap up...  I prefer more like “We got work to do”. Maybe god’s back in heaven with sis And maybe they locked up all demons in hell... but the family business can never be just wrapped up. Can it? 

I never watched X Files, how did that end?

15 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don’t like that the last episode will be a wrap up...  I prefer more like “We got work to do”. Maybe god’s back in heaven with sis And maybe they locked up all demons in hell... but the family business can never be just wrapped up. Can it? 

That's difficult to answer because after the show ended, there were (TV) movies. And then years later new revival Seasons. So, I guess it didn"t really end. X-File cases would always be around.

1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

I can't see them retiring if there are still monsters....and angels and demons....in the world. Unless because Dabb Jack saves the world from evil so the Winchesters can retire I can't see any other way out for them.

I just had a horrible thought...they can retire if they pass the baton (so to speak) to the Next Generation--ie, the Wayward Sisters.  They can even add Krissy and her crew and some of the young'uns they met/trained along the way. 

Way to get a final plug in and prep for future shows.  

1 minute ago, ahrtee said:

I just had a horrible thought...they can retire if they pass the baton (so to speak) to the Next Generation--ie, the Wayward Sisters.  They can even add Krissy and her crew and some of the young'uns they met/trained along the way. 

yikes! The Winchesters will be out of retirement before the deposit on the condo in Florida is cashed. The wayward wonders will have the world in a pickle in no time. But it would leave the door open for either a TV movie or mini series as they apparently did with X files.

(Its interesting that Gill and David couldn’t stand each other. )

• LOL 1
43 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Yay an X Files question! As much of a superfan as I am I have to admit that I don't know much about the ending. After David Duchovny left for a bit and other mains were written in I lost interest. I do know that by the time that the finale aired Mulder had solved his own personal X File involving his sister and was able to get closure from that. The movie in 1998 was more of a long extension of the season 5 finale and the 2nd movie in 2008 was kind of a precursor to the revival in 2016. I hate that they ended so abruptly but apparently there were salary disputes that couldn't be resolved.

15 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

(Its interesting that Gill and David couldn’t stand each other. )

From what I've read from both actors that's not true. They said that they did get sick of being the only people that they saw for long periods of time but they still liked and respected each other. Gillian did mention that they weren't that close off set but that's probably true of most coworkers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, bethy said:

I get that this isn't everyone's preference, but my hope is that the finale focuses on Dean and Sam. 

This is most definitely my preference. The show has given the focus to peripheral characters for years with the Winchesters just reacting to the events around them. And as much as it pains me to say it and as unpopular as I know this statement will be I would prefer that the focus be on the brothers without Cas. Since the introduction of Jack he has been less of an ally and a friend compared to the earlier seasons and I no longer enjoy seeing him interact with them. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 11

I was just thinking I’ll miss seeing all your comments about the show and the actors when Supernatural finally finishes.  Half the Facebook groups I’m on don’t often get deeper than “look at my SPN Funkos/tattoos etc”.  (for the record, if I see one more anti-possession tat photo I’m gonna scream) or posting “hot” photos of the actors.  I want discussions, snark, and photos only when they’re new or informative!

• Love 8