Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Ending

Message added by ohjoy

Please use this topic to discussion about your general speculation and thoughts on the upcoming end of the series only. Keep long discussions on other topics (overall show history, media/social media updates, Bitch vs. Jerk, etc.) to the appropriate other topic, as usual. Thank you.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Speaking of seeing things differently after watching though... I definitely feel like there was more to the story with his response to the 'Batman' question. Maybe not that role, per se, but he most certainly had a cat-that-ate-the-canary vibe about him, for me of course, JMO and YMMV and all that jazz. :)

I agree completely. Especially when he was the one, who literally brought up himself, that he wants to have opportunities to do new projects. And the fact, that went straight into mentioning removing one of the Chrises and putting his name there. It's like he already knows sth is in the store for him... 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bella-UK said:

But if Sam does eventually die and Rowena still lives on for thousands of years, who will end her? Unless Sam comes back as a ghost to do the merry deed?

The Death books went in the garbage as soon as Dean’s only two fates were overridden by Jack. So Rowena’s death by Sam book is totally meaningless.

• Love 8
On 3/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, Res said:

In response to a post about having a brothers only series finale to match the series opener (carried over from another thread):

While I understand this opinion, especially the symmetry (and appreciate it in a way, honestly), I don't agree.

I think Cas has earned his place in the series finale, having been in the series for over a decade. Plus, they've grown so much from those young boys in the early days that trying to replicate it for "emotion" sake pulls me out of the episode because I feel the irritating strings being attached. Attach the strings through good writing and not gimmicks or sentimentality as I'm actually an intelligent viewer who isn't going to let you play me, writers!

I would just rather they focus on a WELL written finale that makes sense than one that focus on the brothers for "feelings" and "emotion" sake because that would bore me. This is supposed to be an action fantasy/sci-fi show, NOT a DRAMA. Stop making it into a soap opera, especially for the series finale! Go out like Angel, not Buffy! That makes more sense to me than just a brothers episode for the sake of brothers as over the course of the series the "family don't end in blood" has also been a huge part of this fandom. 

That would be my 1st option for an ending but the other 2 would be:

2. If you want to go the Buffy route, Sam takes over MoL training for new hunters and Dean takes over combat training. They both run phones and the hunter network with occasional back up from Cas who is helping them and Jack who, having become full angel without a soul, is assisting Cas in running Heaven with Anael as a three-way government type system. Lucifer was completely annihilated in the series finale.

3. Dean dies/is sacrificed permanently without any way of resurrection in the finale battle. Cas and Anael return to Heaven permanently to fix and maintain it. Perpetually blessed by the angels now, Sam runs into Amelia (or whoever) and gets to have his perfect life, relating the rest of the Winchester Gospels in memory of his brother, either in books or to his kids. (This one I've had since season 5).

Hi Res,

Sorry, I just couldn't take number 3 as an ending. Watching either or both brothers die is just too hard to watch. We've been there, done that and worn that t-shirt several times. I want something different. I want to be surprised again, with a solid story that takes us into a movie. Oh I wish they'd bring back Crowley. 

• Love 6

I just watched the clips from the 300th ep party on the CW site, and what struck me was how excited everyone was.  Pedowitz and both Js were talking about "300 eps and no end in sight" and how excited they were to keep going.  *sigh*

• Love 6

Responding to a question in the writer's thread....

I read an interview with Edlund this summer (don't know remember which one right now or how old it was by the time I found it online) where he mentioned that he would have pushed the show to make the boys sort of demi gods, or more than regular humans anyway, and that his ideas would have forced the show to end sooner.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, Wateroflife said:

Responding to a question in the writer's thread....

I read an interview with Edlund this summer (don't know remember which one right now or how old it was by the time I found it online) where he mentioned that he would have pushed the show to make the boys sort of demi gods, or more than regular humans anyway, and that his ideas would have forced the show to end sooner.

Which in hindsight ending it years ago would have been a mercy. Yeah, that wouldn't have been a bad way to go.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Wateroflife said:

I read an interview with Edlund this summer (don't know remember which one right now or how old it was by the time I found it online) 

Just to cite my references, here's that interview link...

https://www.hypable.com/the-tick-ben-edlund-griffin-newman-interview/

Since it is mostly at the end, here's the relevant quote about supernatural.

I got very involved in the cosmological building blocks and mapping out the cosmology of that thing, and I feel like there’s still room to land certain things, but to me there’s a whole story that is the underpinning of why those events started and why the archangels did what they did, and why all these things fell into place, why Chuck is where Chuck was — all of those things fit into a large mechanism that makes sense and I’m not certain necessarily that’s where they’re gonna go. It’s something that I was fairly vocal about. Hopefully they’ll get there, I don’t know. But really to me there is something that… there’s a thing and it’s actually not about the shape or the confines, because this thing is what it is because of all of those sorts of shapes, right?

But I do think that there’s a point where really, this is the story of Sam and Dean becoming demigods in a way. That to me is really… Like, you look at it as what happened in ancient times. I’m sure Gilgamesh and Enkidu were probably normal guys for a while but shit just kept happening, and then they got heartened by the forces of myth to the point where they transcended the definition of human. How many times do you have to go to hell before that happens? But I think those are things that feel as though by now they would be a little more triggered in the continuity. But then also, I think probably left to my devices, I would’ve done about 10 years and then maybe too soon ended a story that seems to have more longevity than I even understood. I don’t claim to have the answers. That would be wrong.

Digging around trying to find this again, I read several interviews for the Tick where he commented that perhaps he stayed too long on SPN without trying to step up and become a larger driving force. (He said it was because he just wanted to know what happened with the characters - I feel ya, Ben). I doubt he would ever consider coming back. 😞

Edited by Wateroflife
added more info
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, PAForrest said:

Which in hindsight ending it years ago would have been a mercy. Yeah, that wouldn't have been a bad way to go.

That's pretty much exactly what that old fanfiction(the sort of SPN/American Gods crossover) written back in like season 2 or 3 did.  I really don't think it would have been a bad way to go.  I mean I don't know what Edlund's specific ideas would have been but I feel like they would have been miles better than what we've ended up with.

• Love 4

Heads up for a potential looming hiccup to the final season as the WGA and ATA go to war.

If a writers strike happens, depending on how long it lasts, it could very well affect the final season of the show. Either the season starts and runs later, or depending on when the contracts with the actors expire, it's also possible the episode order could be cut down.

Nothing has happened yet, but the situation is fluid and one to keep an eye on that would obviously affect more than Supernatural.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, S Cook Productions said:

I was at a con where he said he gets Hero 1 Impala, and Jared gets Hero 3. I think it’s written into their final contract as a bonus. 

They also said they were going to take off without asking.  Either way I hope Jensen at least gets the Hero car.

• Love 2

Heads up for a potential looming hiccup to the final season as the WGA and ATA go to war.

If a writers strike happens, depending on how long it lasts, it could very well affect the final season of the show. Either the season starts and runs later, or depending on when the contracts with the actors expire, it's also possible the episode order could be cut down.

Nothing has happened yet, but the situation is fluid and one to keep an eye on that would obviously affect more than Supernatural.

The writers are basically firing their agents but not going on strike per se so shows currently in production will unlikely to be affected at all. This isn`t like the strike back 11 years ago. 

Development of new shows might slow down but it`s not like every studio ever doesn`t have rooms full of prospective scripts. We wouldn`t know for years on end if development really slowed down. 

So, I don`t think the final Season of SPN (or any other current show) will experience any production hiccups.  

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

Here's a handy article: Fortune article

It's a little more simplistic.

But as far as I can tell, the current group of writers, if they are already on contract for S15 have no issues.  It's new writers breaking in. 

If memory serves, they will start back in the writers room in May.  And it was about this time when Robbie announced he was leaving in S10 (?).  So, it COULD be renegotiation time.  But you are not required to have an agent, they just help you get hired.  In short, if Dabb and the WB want the writer, they can do their own contract and the agent gets nothing.  

Why they should ultimately solve this:  because new writers NEED agents to get work.  And writers need agents to get new gigs.  

BTW, I'm TeamWGA all the way.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SueB said:

Interesting.  Sounds like there's some pressure being put on the writers by implying it's a strike (which it's not).  Nefarious. 

I'm seeing writers changing their twitter photos to that "I Stand With the WGA" logo. Of course, if you go into the hashtag talking about this situation, the word strike is getting thrown around, because that's always the go-to when these things start up. Hopefully they'll all come back to the table soon and the situation will be resolved fairly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I haven't watched the panel yet so I don't know full context

But Jared and Jensen said they stepped in and took an extra interest in the finale, and Jared said they had a responsibility to make sure Sam and Dean are Sam and Dean. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

But Jared and Jensen said they stepped in and took an extra interest in the finale, and Jared said they had a responsibility to make sure Sam and Dean are Sam and Dean. 

I'll be interested in the full story, but that speaks volumes about how they're feeling. Is there any little, possible, thready hope that Dabb could be gone???

• Love 4
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I'll be interested in the full story, but that speaks volumes about how they're feeling. Is there any little, possible, thready hope that Dabb could be gone???

I haven't had a chance to watch the gold panel yet, but in the afternoon Panel it sounded like Jensen wasn't too thrilled with them adding Mary's initial.

He said it was an iconic image and it was messed with and it was conflicting, and he loved what it stood for, and now its been added too.  He also joked it would be like a guest book with everyone adding their initials.

I continue to become more and more convinced that neither Jared or Jensen are happy with the writing this season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I haven't had a chance to watch the gold panel yet, but in the afternoon Panel it sounded like Jensen wasn't too thrilled with them adding Mary's initial.

He said it was an iconic image and it was messed with and it was conflicting, and he loved what it stood for, and now its been added too.  He also joked it would be like a guest book with everyone adding their initials.

I continue to become more and more convinced that neither Jared or Jensen are happy with the writing this season.

I haven’t watched the main panel yet so I won’t speculate on that. There weren’t as many bombshells but there was enough information to make me very excited about next season. J2 really seem to be going all in starting with the finale so we should get a good idea how that influences the show next year. Jensen is getting hands on and will direct which is another good thing I didn’t expect. The last couple of episodes seem to be wrapping up Dabb’s storylines. We will know for sure with the next couple of episodes. So I got my fingers crossed we will get even more good news in the upfronts.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I saw this account also.

It definitely doesn't sound like overwhelming and unadulterated approval of that decision from him, that's for sure.

So happy to hear that he's directing another episode in S15. 

Edited by Myrelle
Revision
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

...and that he also loved the idea that Mom was added and she would never go away. So, conflicted.  Not the same as unhappy. 

But his follow-on that this could happen a lot in S15 was also telling.  IMO.  To me it says he knows he’s going to be challenged and it’ll be interesting.  I think they both are as protective of the story as the most passionate fans are but also committed to seeing where the story goes - I.e. not just fanservicing and playing it safe.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, SueB said:

...and that he also loved the idea that Mom was added and she would never go away. So, conflicted.  Not the same as unhappy. 

But his follow-on that this could happen a lot in S15 was also telling.  IMO.  To me it says he knows he’s going to be challenged and it’ll be interesting.  I think they both are as protective of the story as the most passionate fans are but also committed to seeing where the story goes - I.e. not just fanservicing and playing it safe.

For me, "it was messed with" don't sound very happy.  Sounded to me more like he made peace with the decision because he couldn't change it.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I think two things are conflated here. Jared talked about episodes like The French Mistake and that he and Jensen always wanted to be Sam and Dean no matter what the story. The season finale talk was a separate thing, which Jensen brought up as a script that made him excited when reading it.

ETA he also said that in his mind, the final (series) episode end with a door slamming, and then jusssst before they fade to black, it opens just a crack.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I think two things are conflated here. Jared talked about episodes like The French Mistake and that he and Jensen always wanted to be Sam and Dean no matter what the story. The season finale talk was a separate thing, which Jensen brought up as a script that made him excited when reading it.

ETA he also said that in his mind, the final (series) episode end with a door slamming, and then jusssst before they fade to black, it opens just a crack.

Forgot to mention that, it was the best part of the panel. I’m convinced they already have plans for Supernatural beyond 15 whatever they may be (probably a movie).

I watched the Mary question and Jensen didn’t seem angry about it just conflicted. The other iconic things may be changing comment was intriguing. 

Another interesting comment was there may be more BTS things coming out but it was best left to the publicity people. Started me thinking they may get producer titles or that maybe (please Chuck) some people are leaving.

Edited by Lastcall
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Lastcall said:

Another interesting comment was there may be more BTS things coming out but it was best left to the publicity people. Started me thinking they may get producer titles or that maybe (please Chuck) some people are leaving.

I believe the question about BTS stuff coming out with season 15 and Jensen's answer was about promotional stuff. Like videos, photo shoots, interviews etc. Jensen said he has no idea about specifics what's coming in that department, but he assumes, that the network is planning something to promote the final season and fans should expecting to get some bonus stuff. 

• Love 2
On 4/3/2019 at 4:37 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

I'm sorry, FlickChick, but for me, please no Carver. For me, he was too fond of the soap opera moments and manufactured brother angst. As a compromise, I won't ask for Gamble back ; ).

I would be fine with Yockey or Kripke. Or even Edlund. (I miss the dark humor.) Where is he right now anyway?

First time I have heard someone talk about Ben Edlund in ages. I would love him to come back next season. His writing was so special and you knew you were watching an Edlund script. I would also love to see Kathrine Humphries come back from Season 1. There are a few other writers but names escape me. One Line I remember Crowley saying, was 'I was born to direct' which was and Edlund episode. He was superb at Crowley one-liners. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bella-UK said:

First time I have heard someone talk about Ben Edlund in ages. I would love him to come back next season. His writing was so special and you knew you were watching an Edlund script. I would also love to see Kathrine Humphries come back from Season 1. There are a few other writers but names escape me. One Line I remember Crowley saying, was 'I was born to direct' which was and Edlund episode. He was superb at Crowley one-liners. 

I would love it if Jared and Jensen each wrote a episode specifically about Sam and Dean. I know they aren’t professional writers so they would need to be paired with Yockey and maybe Glynn though Dabb would insist on working with Jared. Just two episodes where J2 get an opportunity to say everything they have wanted to say about Sam and Dean. It would be even better if Jensen directed his episode. It could be a disaster but hey they let the interns write episodes this year so how bad could it be.

• Love 3

I don't know where to put this, so it's going here. I don't read spoilers so I have absolutely no clue  what this season finale will bring. I have no idea why, but for some reason I'm dreading it; almost hesitant to watch it. The finale usually is a segue into the next season, and I just don't want it to be a farce leading into a farcical last season. I want the final season to be epic - focused on our two main characters with a side of Cas. No Jack, certainly no Lucifer in any form, no demons (like this year - see, writers, you can get through a season without them*). I just want well-written episodes. I know it's too much to ask. 😞

*except for the episode when SuperLeaderSam banished them from the face of the earth and told them never to return!!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, FlickChick said:

no demons (like this year

What? There weren't ANY demons in the entire season just because Sam Winchester raised his voice at them??

Man, but that Sam sure is badass! /irony

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Everyone ready for the LAST season finale tonight?  Make sure to have tissues ready as we sing "Carry On My Wayward Son" for maybe the last time.

I don't think it will be the last. There will be a series finale next season, so I expect they will begin the final episode with it. There's also a part of me that thinks they may actually end with "Carry On My Wayward Son" playing in the background while we watch how the boys end the show.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, patty1h said:

Everyone ready for the LAST season finale tonight?  Make sure to have tissues ready as we sing "Carry On My Wayward Son" for maybe the last time.

Next season is the finale season. 

I saw spec elsewhere that Dabb has created an end for the boys with the Equalizer Gun with idea that  the show could end with Sam and Dean killing each other with one gun probably to stop another apocalypse,which now terrifies me that is exactly what Dabb will do. That is not at all the same as them going out together side by side. And in the most co dependent way imaginable. do.Not.Want.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

This show doesn't have the budget for a Zombie apocalypse. 

I suspect that the zombies will be dealt with in the first ten minutes.  We'll get glimpses of them fighting while the real focus of the scene is on Billie's conversation with Jack.   Then he'll swoop down, take out all the zombies and then it will be business as usual with the writers being lazy and copy and pasting eps with the Winchesters trying to track down all the things they hunted before.

The episodes Cas and Jack aren't in, i'm sure we'll get an offhand reference to Cas taking Jack hunting and him putting down monsters at 10x the rate of the Winchester. 

Above quote is from the Moriah episode thread - wouldn't that be a bizarre kick in the ass (not ass-kicking that's different) ending for the boys?  They spend half the final season figuring out that all the things they hunted before, all the good they've done in the "saving people hunting things" category has been unwound on them and in the end there's a snap and a flash of light and there they are, standing in Sam's college apartment with Dean saying Dad's on a hunting trip and he hasn't been home in awhile.  They blink for a moment, one of them says they feel a weird deja vu then they shrug it off, Sam tells Jess he'll be back in a few days and out the door they go.  Not saying I'd like that ending or that I'm advocating for it but since they obviously resurrected things going all the way back to S1 monsters and demons it is a weird full circle thing.  But what a kick in the ass for the boys, doomed to unknowingly live the same crappy lives over and over (and over).

4 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

But what a kick in the ass for the boys, doomed to unknowingly live the same crappy lives over and over (and over).

Well, it wouldn't be exactly the same, since Chuck didn't like his original ending.  It'd just be endless revisions, which would be worse! 😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I saw spec elsewhere that Dabb has created an end for the boys with the Equalizer Gun with idea that  the show could end with Sam and Dean killing each other with one gun probably to stop another apocalypse,which now terrifies me that is exactly what Dabb will do. That is not at all the same as them going out together side by side. And in the most co dependent way imaginable. do.Not.Want.

I had that thought too. One of my 14,000,605 scenarios for next year. That is definitely the front runner.

• Useful 1

I am officially very worried about the final season of this show after watching the s14 finale.

At this point, I can't see how it's not going to just continue to be Nougatnatural until the very end.

Not unless some big changes are implemented in the writing, that is.

It will be interesting to see if the Js being in on that now will really make any big differences in that regard.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I am officially very worried about the final season of this show after watching the s14 finale.

At this point, I can't see how it's not going to just continue to be Nougatnatural until the very end.

It will be interesting to see if the Js being in on that now will really make any big differences in that regard.

The J's were in on the finale, per SPNNASH.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Myrelle said:

That’s the big fear....the execution. On paper it’s a great cliffhanger setting up an amazing final season. It was epic, Jensen was right about that. Trouble is this show has a history of dropping the ball and that’s not just Dabb, it’s purgatory, DemonDean and Godstiel. 

All of Hell unleashed has limitless possibilities. The Council of Cosmic Entities has amazing story potential. Amara is still a wild card and if all of hell is back then Adam and OG Michael should be too. Going full walking dead would mean cutting through 307 episodes worth of monsters making Sam,Dean and Cas badasses again. Also, the only way to win against a Demon army is heaven releasing a hunter army, thats John, Bobby, Rufus, Ellen, Sam Colt and *sigh* yes even Mary. So if that’s why J2 are excited about next year I understand why.

Now the other side, Dabb has never lived up to any of his season finales so why should this be any different. The zombie horde will be hand waved away or TFW will be teleported away. We will never see a bloodied and bruised Sam,Dean and Cas standing over a graveyard of dead Zombies, not going to happen (but if they did I would literally forgive everything that has happened on this show since 12x1). Next there’s the budget, they can’t afford to show a world devastated by a demon/ghost holocaust so there has to be a reset (unless they do a one year later and say “Gee, Sam it was sure hard sending all those monsters we killed over the last 15 years back to hell. I need a nap.”) 

As for J2’s involvement in the finale, if Jared signed off on shooting God then Sam fans are going to be in for a rough ride next year. Maybe there is something in the finale that can salvage it but I can’t imagine what. Dean didn’t come off badly so even if Jensen being in the room gives Dean fans a few crumbs next year it’s better then what we got this season.

To end on a positive note, Jensen has constantly dropped clues that the show will continue in some form in the future. The latest being the door will shut...then just a crack. I believe they have already started the ball rolling on a movie. Could be years, maybe just a couple, but the series finale won’t be Supernaturals finale.

Edited by Lastcall
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, PinkChicken said:

Point being: I don't think the finale is any indication of how them getting in on the storyboards might affect the overall plot direction. 

God, let's hope not!!!!  This was absolutely the WORST FINALE of the series. Talk, talk, talk, and then if you didn't get it, some more talk! As I said before, Dabb has no business writing anything, period!!! I just want him gone so he can't ruin the final season of the show the way he has ruined the last three seasons, period!!! I have AMC on my cable, so if I want to watch "The Walking Dead", I know where to find it.

• Love 6
On 4/27/2019 at 1:11 PM, catrox14 said:

That gun is literally Chekhov's gun. It's a nerd writer's meta joke insert. (Ha ha).

The gun not only shows up only at the point is literally is needed; God literally makes it when it is literally needed. It is the most Chekhovian Chekhov's gun that ever was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun