Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nodorothyparker

S09.E15: The Calm Before

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Did  Lydia Alpha get the wig and dress she was wearing from the blond haired woman she killed/scalped early on in this episode?

Yes, zombie apocalypse Nicole Kidman was the source of said hair and dress. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

You guys realize that will Michonne will have to free Negan to help her stop the whispers and then when she dies, Negan will be stepfather to Ricks kids??? Mr. Grimes has a surprise coming to him........(though maybe Judith don't count lol)

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Sofie Fatale said:

Yes, zombie apocalypse Nicole Kidman was the source of said hair and dress.  

Alpha took the poor dead woman's hat as well.

I wonder what the Whisperers did with all of those dead bodies?   I don't think we have seen anyone stumble upon them yet.

Share this post


Link to post

Upon rewatching the episode, I noticed that Zombie Nicole Kidman's hair was much longer under that hat when she was on the way to the fair, than when we first saw her. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Upon rewatching the episode, I noticed that Zombie Nicole Kidman's hair was much longer under that hat when she was on the way to the fair, than when we first saw her. 

When we first saw her, it was a flashback.

Edited by Gobi
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, Eulipian 5k said:

Not the two instances cited. Zeke's kingdom is patterned after Europe. Since God chooses the King, by divine right, the Monarchy is passed on thru noble blood. Thus the children can become Monarch not the commoner, Grace Kelly, or Diana, or  Phillip. The Monarch bestows the title Prince or Princess. Elizabeth made sure to let all know that Diana would never be Queen Diana if Chuckie became King of England. Itg's partly why the Royal families of Eur became sooo interbred.

Totally off topic, but no.  The wife of the King is the Queen, certainly in the British Monarchy (and most, if not all, other monarchies), and regardless of royal blood. Henry VIII had six queens and only two were royal by birth (Katherine of Aragon & Anne of Cleves). Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was a commoner by birth (like Diana Spencer, the daughter of an earl) but was queen by virtue of her marriage to George VI.  Prince Philip is of royal blood (he is a prince of Greece) but the Queen’s sovereignty  doesn’t automatically elevate her husband as does a man’s sovereignty because ... sexism.  Princess Grace’s husband was Prince of Monaco because Monaco is a principality and not a kingdom, so it would be odd indeed if she got a higher title than he. 

But you are correct that there is a difference between a Queen Regnant (e.g. QEII) and a Queen Consort (the Queen Mother).  Even then, though, it is not unknown for Queens Consort to seize their husband’s power to rule in their own right.

Long live Queen (consort) Carol.

Edited by Trillian
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Gobi said:

When we first was her, it was a flashback.

Ok that makes sense.  I just wonder how long ago it was but, of course, the writers would never let us know.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Long live Queen Carol.

Thx for the lesson from the Kingdom's Post ZA Academy 🙂 . Queen Carroll, the new Red Queen!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok that makes sense.  I just wonder how long ago it was but, of course, the writers would never let us know.

You could go by the number of times they said Happy Anniversary to each other and assume each means the passing of a year.  Or not.  It's definitely open to interpretation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

You could go by the number of times they said Happy Anniversary to each other and assume each means the passing of a year.  Or not.  It's definitely open to interpretation.

Shows you how much I was paying attention because I don't even remember them saying happy anniversary to each other because I kept wondering who the hell they were. 

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Shows you how much I was paying attention because I don't even remember them saying happy anniversary to each other because I kept wondering who the hell they were. 

Remember when Hilde gave Miles the first of the wooden “H” tokens, she said it was “wood, for their anniversary”.

Traditionally, something wood is the signature gift for the fifth anniversary.

 Which doesn’t necessarily say how long they had been at Hilltop - but it had to have been somewhere within 0-5 years.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Remember when Hilde gave Miles the first of the wooden “H” tokens, she said it was “wood, for their anniversary”.

Traditionally, something wood is the signature gift for the fifth anniversary.

 Which doesn’t necessarily say how long they had been at Hilltop - but it had to have been somewhere within 0-5 years.

Yes, I do remember her giving him the wooden "H" but that's about all.

I'm so impressed that you know their names!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I'm so impressed that you know their names!

Only because they were the first two names on this week’s TTD “In Memorium”.  😆

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

I think it'll pay off. She can teach Dog to do all the tricks that Daryl never thought of.

Like "Fetch soap."

Or, Dog could join the Whisperers and "Play dead".

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Midnightblue said:

Why didn't Daryl take Dog with him when they went out? He told him to stay and asked Whatshername to feed him. I knew they were screwed without Dog.

Connie is the person you are talking about.  It didn't make sense for Daryl to leave the Dog with Connie.  If dog gets into trouble, Connie won't be able to hear him.

11 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

I think it'll pay off. She can teach Dog to do all the tricks that Daryl never thought of.

Yes, Connie would be useful in teaching Dog things, especially if Dog is able to learn silent commands through hand motion instead of sound.

16 hours ago, Nashville said:

Traditionally, something wood is the signature gift for the fifth anniversary.

Also "wood" could be considered "a signature gift" on their honeymoon.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If dog gets into trouble, Connie won't be able to hear him.

The point is that Dog WON'T get into trouble.   But enough arguing on GP, let's just go ahead and say that Daryl left Dog there to look after Connie, not the other way around.  That's his way of saying, "I had to come back, I forgot my toothbrush."  I see you Daryl!

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Timetoread said:

The point is that Dog WON'T get into trouble.   But enough arguing on GP, let's just go ahead and say that Daryl left Dog there to look after Connie, not the other way around.  That's his way of saying, "I had to come back, I forgot my toothbrush."  I see you Daryl!

Except that Dog isn't trained to be a guard dog.  He could just as easily have walked up to Alpha and found his head on a pike, if Alpha wanted to go that route.  If Connie needs help, how is she going to be able to communicate with Dog?   Dog can't read her note pad. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Except that Dog isn't trained to be a guard dog. ......   Dog can't read her note pad. 

It seems Dog, right then, has only one loyalty: to Daryl. Leaving him with Connie feeding him keeps him safe and builds a home base. Otherwise, like any other dog, Dog would take off after Daryl the minute he left.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Except that Dog isn't trained to be a guard dog.  He could just as easily have walked up to Alpha and found his head on a pike, if Alpha wanted to go that route.  If Connie needs help, how is she going to be able to communicate with Dog?   Dog can't read her note pad. 

Dog knows and likes Connie and knows that Daryl does too.  That’s all the training any dog needs to motivate them to protect.  They’re smart like that.  BTW plenty of deaf people own dogs.  Canines aren’t really verbal.  They communicate to each other with gestures and body language and other senses.  They dumb themselves down and vocalize to communicate with us very limited humans.  They’ll be fine.  Both Connie and Dog survived the apocalypse this far.  I’m sure they can both survive a week without Daryl.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Finally got around to watching this. Sad to see Tara go, mostly because Alanna is just a fun person, and Enid seemed so innocent. But honestly, I couldn't give two shits about any of those characters, so cleaning house is good. Henry was the worst of them. This show doesn't need an annoying-rebellious-teenager-with-parents-who-aren't-his-parents subplot, so let's move on.

Sure looked like Daryl could have just kicked Elpha off that cliff Sparta-style and solved a lot of problems. Like a responsible gun owner, she didn't have her finger anywhere near the trigger.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2019 at 10:54 PM, UGAmp said:

My DVR only recorded an hour and ended with Alpha sitting down next to Lydia so I had no idea why Dalton Ross from EW was hyping this episode so much on Twitter. 

Omg mine too! It recorded an hour and then at the hour mark the last scene was Alpha shushing Lydia and then the scene cutting to black. I though it would then start the “Next time on TWD” promo which I didn’t want to see, so I hit Stop! It had no reason to think there was more, the title of the episode seemed like a set-up for the finale! I only realized I had missed something when I started watching the finale and was like “I don’t remember these scenes in the “Previously on” segment, heads on pikes what? Why is it winter, they were just at the fair...? Did I miss an episode, what is going on?” And then went to this one On Demand and scanned forward to see Holy Crap I missed the last 15 minutes wtf!?

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Omg mine too! It recorded an hour and then at the hour mark the last scene was Alpha shushing Lydia and then the scene cutting to black.

@Cotypubby - This was discussed a ways back in the thread:

On 3/25/2019 at 2:22 PM, Nashville said:

AMC had apparently pushed out an inaccurate initial channel guide listing for the episode, listing it as a 60-minute episode.  A corrected 90-minute listing was subsequently pushed out; most DVRs only update their channel guide listings in background off-time when the customer has the box turned off, though, so many DVRs (which hadn’t been turned off since the update was issued) didn’t pick up the correction.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/31/2019 at 6:06 PM, Eulipian 5k said:

It seems Dog, right then, has only one loyalty: to Daryl. Leaving him with Connie feeding him keeps him safe and builds a home base. Otherwise, like any other dog, Dog would take off after Daryl the minute he left.

And I guess Dog will figure out that Connie does not react to sound then he will cope with that to help her.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2019 at 4:58 PM, SimoneS said:

Because they only have a few bullets if any left so the guns are useless. 

But Eugene was making bullets for a whole season or more.    In fact they had an all out shoot -out with the Negan crew.  After that apparently all was relatively quiet for years so they should still have had their remaining bullets...and plenty of time for Eugene to make more.   I think the reason is if they had guns they would simply kill the whisperers quickly and the story line would be over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, mcnelisp said:

But Eugene was making bullets for a whole season or more.    In fact they had an all out shoot -out with the Negan crew.  After that apparently all was relatively quiet for years so they should still have had their remaining bullets...and plenty of time for Eugene to make more.   I think the reason is if they had guns they would simply kill the whisperers quickly and the story line would be over.

I could give them a pass for this. They might have been unable to obtain the ingredients for gunpowder, and over the six years that were skipped they could have used up what ammo they had. I believe, too, that there is a limit to how many times shell  casings can be re-used.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, mcnelisp said:

But Eugene was making bullets for a whole season or more.    In fact they had an all out shoot -out with the Negan crew.  After that apparently all was relatively quiet for years so they should still have had their remaining bullets...and plenty of time for Eugene to make more.   I think the reason is if they had guns they would simply kill the whisperers quickly and the story line would be over.

It has been six years! It isn't like they have a factory and can buy the gun powder, etc. to make bullets from gun manufacturers. This is what happens when society breaks down, one of the best things actually.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, SimoneS said:

It has been six years! It isn't like they have a factory and can buy the gun powder, etc. to make bullets from gun manufacturers. This is what happens when society breaks down, one of the best things actually.

Judith is still running around with a revolver full of bullets.  So that part of the advancement over time is complete bullshit.   If bullets are that precious (which they are) why is the little dumb shit running around with a loaded gun?

Why isn't Michonne watching over the kid and monitoring what she is doing?

How was it that Negan was able to run off with know one knowing about it?

Alexandria has rebuilt itself up pretty well, but I don't know how the hell that happened with so many people living in that settlement not having a clue what was going on.  That starts at the very top with Michonne.

[sarcasm]The same kind of stellar leadership that was at Kingdom and Hilltop. [/sarcasm]

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Judith is still running around with a revolver full of bullets.  So that part of the advancement over time is complete bullshit.   If bullets are that precious (which they are) why is the little dumb shit running around with a loaded gun?

Why isn't Michonne watching over the kid and monitoring what she is doing?

How was it that Negan was able to run off with know one knowing about it?

Alexandria has rebuilt itself up pretty well, but I don't know how the hell that happened with so many people living in that settlement not having a clue what was going on.  That starts at the very top with Michonne.

[sarcasm]The same kind of stellar leadership that was at Kingdom and Hilltop. [/sarcasm]

I'm stunned that anyone would allow Judith to run around with a loaded gun. A gun which, by the way, if real would knock her on her ass when she fired it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Judith is still running around with a revolver full of bullets.  So that part of the advancement over time is complete bullshit.   If bullets are that precious (which they are) why is the little dumb shit running around with a loaded gun?

Because the usual rules of responsible firearm safety and use don’t apply if your plot armor is sufficiently bulletproof. ;>

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

How was it that Negan was able to run off with know one knowing about it?

Not just run off but hang around Alexandria all night and into the day AND strolled into Michonne's unlocked house, up the stairs and into Judith's room. Those people must sleep like the dead and who needs to lock a door anyway?

2 hours ago, Gobi said:

I'm stunned that anyone would allow Judith to run around with a loaded gun

AND run around with it outside the community and in the woods (no worries about some neer do well "Claimer" types taking it from her and raping and murdering her, I guess) AND spend leisure time with benevolent Uncle Neegs. No one ever noticed any of that either, not even Michonne. Oh, she'll be fine!

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, mcnelisp said:

think the reason is if they had guns they would simply kill the whisperers quickly and the story line would be over.

When Michonne brought the survivors that Judith saved to Hilltop, Michonne  was wearing a gun on her hip, when they were allowed within Hilltop’s walls, Carol was seen to have a gun on her hip, as was Tara I believe, the whole ‘gun’ thing has been quietly forgotten about, despite the fact that there should be plenty of them, and ammunition available, with or without Eugene’s help, Even ‘Elpha’ is brandishing a sawn off.

Its one of those things that we’re expected to overlook, just like there’s enough ‘fuel’ to power Daryl’s bike in Ep 15, but not enough to run any other kind of vehicle to prevent  people getting in the shit they end up in, or to go on a Whisperer hunt.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Those people must sleep like the dead and who needs to lock a door anyway

They obviously copied the tried and tested method used by Hilltop, when Tobin got munched and brought down virtually the whole community. Sentries? Nah, they can’t see anything in the dark anyway so why bother! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

They obviously copied the tried and tested method used by Hilltop, when Tobin got munched and brought down virtually the whole community.

Yes, but it was hot that night, the first hot night in VA, I guess, so they had no choice but to leave all the doors open to catch a refreshing breeze.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/24/2019 at 10:50 PM, sigmaforce86 said:

....How did the get those heads up there without destroying the brain I wonder?

On 3/24/2019 at 11:32 PM, natyxg said:

Like maybe Alpha forced him to behead the others in exchange for him living or something. Now that I think about it, did we even see anyone actually die? I think we just saw them fight back.

Hmm...with Sidique being a doctor NATYXG might be on to something 🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size