Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E15: The Calm Before

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

If he ever did anything but orate and sit on the "throne" I have no memory of it.

Yeah, all I can remember him doing is running his mouth.  I'm just surprised that no one in the Kingdom had ever called him out on his bullshit.  Which is why Jerry disappoints me with that "your majesty" crap.   

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

If he ever did anything but orate and sit on the "throne" I have no memory of it.

Well... Ezekiel did lead about a third of his subjects into battle, and into the Gatling gun ambush which claimed their lives.  So there’s THAT.

P. S.: Isn’t it funny how nowadays whenever I type the word “fucking”, the type-ahead’s first choice for the next word is invariably “autocorrect”...?  😄

Edited by Nashville
Correcting fucking autocorrect
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I don't know how 'useful' Zeke is but he's definitely charismatic.  I'm surprised that the 'King Ezekiel' pose survived the massacre of most of his 'subjects' but it seems that the people who live in The Kingdom NEED that kind of fantasy.  One of the good things to be said about King Zeke is that he doesn't exploit his subjects and he isn't violent or bloodthirsty.

My biggest problem with The Kingdom is that the people are going hungry yet The King is willing to risk life and limb to get a light-bulb for a projector.  He's definitely a believer in the 'bread and circuses' theory of ruling but his community is very short on bread.   

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I don't know how 'useful' Zeke is but he's definitely charismatic.  I'm surprised that the 'King Ezekiel' pose survived the massacre of most of his 'subjects' but it seems that the people who live in The Kingdom NEED that kind of fantasy.  One of the good things to be said about King Zeke is that he doesn't exploit his subjects and he isn't violent or bloodthirsty.

My biggest problem with The Kingdom is that the people are going hungry yet The King is willing to risk life and limb to get a light-bulb for a projector.  He's definitely a believer in the 'bread and circuses' theory of ruling but his community is very short on bread.   

What happened to the pigs they were raising? They used to have enough for themselves and for payment to the Saviors.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Charisma will only get you so far.  You would think that after they got their asses kicked and their ranks decimated, that they would take things more seriously regarding survival, instead of watching a fucking cartoon. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Charisma will only get you so far.  You would think that after they got their asses kicked and their ranks decimated, that they would take things more seriously regarding survival, instead of watching a fucking cartoon. 

You're right.  An overabundance of charisma forced The Kingdom to hold The Fair, which was basically the other communities bailing The Kingdom out.  It was all fun and games (until Henry lost his head) but Hilltop and Alexandria brought goods they'd worked their asses off for and got a movie in return.

• Love 5
On 3/24/2019 at 10:46 PM, Kanner said:

I have no reason not to trust Siddiq but that speech at the end was fishy? It was like Shane’s speech about Otis. I really hope I am wrong. 

The camera lingered on Daryl during the speech. And he had that suspicious “I smell bad fish” look, so who knows?

8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Speaking of acting like the king, have we ever seen Ezekiel do anything even remotely useful, like growing crops or building anything?  Maybe he has but I don't remember seeing anything.

It reminds me of a very important matter:  "Did Henry had time to fix the pipe before the beheading?"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, GustavMahler said:

The camera lingered on Daryl during the speech. And he had that suspicious “I smell bad fish” look, so who knows?

Maybe he’d had a bad piece of opossum at the fair. You know if you don’t cook that stuff right ....

• LOL 4
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Speaking of acting like the king, have we ever seen Ezekiel do anything even remotely useful, like growing crops or building anything?  Maybe he has but I don't remember seeing anything.

You could say that about all the leaders except Herschel, the actual farming farmer. From the Governator to Negan, all they did was talk. I don't think we want Zeke to start bashing heads or decapitating anybody for his fish stank.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

You could say that about all the leaders except Herschel, the actual farming farmer. From the Governator to Negan, all they did was talk. I don't think we want Zeke to start bashing heads or decapitating anybody for his fish stank.

Yes but the Governor and Negan had "thriving" communities.  They did have their people doing things for survival, even if they themselves weren't doing any actual work and even though they took/stole stuff from other communities.  They were leaders, albeit cruel ones.  I haven't seen Ezekiel do anything other than sit on his "throne" with his "queen."  I know he wanted to take the stress out of their lives by making them think they lived in a fantasy world, but his people were having a hard time surviving and I don't think showing a cartoon helped solved their problems.  Sure, the purpose of the fair was for trade but we don't even know what his community got out of it other than heads on pikes.   

Edited by Ohwell
Added something
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Yes but the Governor and Negan had "thriving" communities.  They did have their people doing things for survival, even if they themselves weren't doing any actual work and even though they took/stole stuff from other communities.  They were leaders, albeit cruel ones.  I haven't seen Ezekiel do anything other than sit on his "throne" with his "queen."  I know he wanted to take the stress out of their lives by making them think they lived in a fantasy world, but his people were having a hard time surviving and I don't think showing a cartoon helped solved their problems.  Sure, the purpose of the fair was for trade but we don't even know what his community got out of it other than heads on pikes.   

All evidence suggested that he was doing fairly well as a leader, even with the Saviors taking their cut, until he was convinced to join Rick's war and in one fell swoop they lost most of their fighting/work force.  The Saviors also burned a lot of the place down.  It seems like they've never managed to recover from that.  Multiple years of fewer hands to do the work have led to less production and lots of things just not getting done.  By now the Kingdom probably has the stink of a place falling down around itself, which is going to be a hard sell to anyone who might have otherwise joined them when they can see more prosperous communities like the Hilltop just up the road. 

We met both the Governor and Negan when they were sitting on top of the proverbial world and didn't have to watch them try to regroup from being burned to the ground.  And even then, they both nearly went to pieces at the first signs of trouble.  Remember the Woodburries lining up to scurry out the gates after Rick's crew broke in to steal Glenn and Maggie back while he hid behind the curtains until Andrea started making first lady speeches to rally the troops.  Negan's crew was ready to start rationing supplies and capitulate to a worker uprising 5 minutes after their factory building was surrounded by a walker herd until Eugene of all people unexpectedly came up with a save.  None of this suggests Zeke doesn't have his faults.  He's very much a quality of life is paramount kind of leader and apparently not so great at austerity and prioritizing to shore up what you do have.  He seemed to be pinning all his hopes on the fair establishing enough trade and maybe attracting some new people to help right the ship.  He just had no way of knowing there was a weird corpse wearing cult roaming around nearby.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

which is going to be a hard sell to anyone who might have otherwise joined them when they can see more prosperous communities like the Hilltop just up the road. 

I bet all (?how many?) the kiddies want to go back to the Kingdom to see their cartoons! Plus, he safeguarded the Charter and framed it. That was from leader Deanna, (who didn't build a force to protect Alexandria).

My question is, in which monarchy do you become Queen just by marrying the King? Ask King Phillip of the UK or Queen Grace of Monaco.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I bet all (?how many?) the kiddies want to go back to the Kingdom to see their cartoons! Plus, he safeguarded the Charter and framed it. That was from leader Deanna, (who didn't build a force to protect Alexandria).

My question is, in which monarchy do you become Queen just by marrying the King? Ask King Phillip of the UK or Queen Grace of Monaco.

In most of them since the beginning of time.  Usually the queen simply the wife of the king just as the princes and princesses are the children of the king.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't understand why Kingdom has any issues at all.   All of the communities aren't that far apart, so I would think they would all have the same issues when it comes to crops.

They are in Virginia.  There should be plenty of nut trees, fruit trees, and wild berry bushes.

If Kingdom can waste their time hunting down a projector bulb, and yet they still let other more important issues go unresolved, maybe they need to overthrow the king and queen?

They did send Henry to Hilltop to apprentice as a blacksmith, which he wasn't the least bit interested in, and now he is dead. 

Worse case scenario, they should have had Eugene move to Kingdom to teach people whatever they needed to be taught.  That would also help Eugene get his mind off of Rosita.

ETA:   We did get to see the fair, and there didn't seem to be a lot going on in terms of trade.

The Kingdom is struggling because they lost the most people in the war with the Saviors and were also the only town that was not headed by one of Rick's OG group, who NEVER fully cooperated with the Saviors.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I for one found the narrative unnecessarily confusing. The way they kept going back and forth in the timeline was distracting - they showed Ezekial saying goodbye to Carol after we'd already seen her captured by the Whisperers, for example. 

I wish the show had the guts and writing talent to go back to a more linear form of story-telling. That's what attracted me to it in the first place all the way back in Season 1. The show didn't have to rely on flashbacks and time jumps and conflicting perspectives to be compelling. It was a straightforward narrative that moved in a normal, linear fashion. 

All these gimmicks they rely on now belies the weakness in the ideas they have for the story itself. 

It wasn't so much a time jump but a perspective jump.  What it showed was that just as the group was leaving, Alpha was infiltrating.  Those people were dead and Alpha had returned to her group by the time Daryl, Michonne, Carol and Uriko(?) were surrounded.  Alpha's plan was in action from the dawn.  But the jump juxtaposed the happiness of the event and the day while this whole thing happened right under their noses.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

You're right.  An overabundance of charisma forced The Kingdom to hold The Fair, which was basically the other communities bailing The Kingdom out.  It was all fun and games (until Henry lost his head) but Hilltop and Alexandria brought goods they'd worked their asses off for and got a movie in return.

I think the movie was one of the most important parts of the fair.  What the Kingdom represented was the concept of people ENJOYING their lives, not just working like Hebrew slaves in between the arrival of big bads.  And yes we saw the King working on crops.  Also they used to have livestock, horses and a tiger.  They also had an army - but those folks died.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I bet all (?how many?) the kiddies want to go back to the Kingdom to see their cartoons!

Some actually might.  At this point, he needs something to lure more able-bodied people to come live and work in the Kingdom if they have any hope of making it longterm since they don't have the obvious prosperity as a selling point.  Bargaining for the services of the cosplay cowboys was a reasonably good idea, or it would have been had their leaders also not gotten caught up in Operation Lop Off Their Heads.   They eventually probably would have settled in as full-fledged community members as they saw the perks of contributing to the only community around that had such niceties.

Humans are social animals.  I think it's easy to underestimate the importance of community things for community enjoyment to give people a reason to keep going rather than just work like dogs until they drop or get eaten.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Timetoread said:

In most of them since the beginning of time.  Usually the queen simply the wife of the king just as the princes and princesses are the children of the king. 

Not the two instances cited. Zeke's kingdom is patterned after Europe. Since God chooses the King, by divine right, the Monarchy is passed on thru noble blood. Thus the children can become Monarch not the commoner, Grace Kelly, or Diana, or  Phillip. The Monarch bestows the title Prince or Princess. Elizabeth made sure to let all know that Diana would never be Queen Diana if Chuckie became King of England. Itg's partly why the Royal families of Eur became sooo interbred.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Some actually might.  At this point, he needs something to lure more able-bodied people to come live and work in the Kingdom if they have any hope of making it longterm since they don't have the obvious prosperity as a selling point.  Bargaining for the services of the cosplay cowboys was a reasonably good idea, or it would have been had their leaders also not gotten caught up in Operation Lop Off Their Heads.   They eventually probably would have eventually settled in as full-fledged community members as they saw the perks of contributing to the only community around that had such niceties.

Humans are social animals.  I think it's easy to underestimate the importance of community things for community enjoyment to give people a reason to keep going rather than just work like dogs until they drop or get eaten.

Agreed.  And though Henry was the world's most annoying child (if you say he was Andrea's long lost kid, I'll believe you), kind of the point of all of this was that no one community is sufficient on its own.  The don't just need to trade goods, they need to trade skills, and they need to trade people.   The unspoken thing about the Romeo/Juliet with Henry is that a growing teenager needs to be able to interact with and yes, ROMANCE, girls of his age.  The Kingdom seemed to be fresh out of teens.  For a community to work, there has to be generational turn over.  Henry was supposed to inherit the Kingdom from his parents.  Now he will not.

6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Which makes even less sense as to why the king wanted a projector bulb.   People would come and watch a movie, and then what?

And remember that life can be enjoyable sometimes.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Which makes even less sense as to why the king wanted a projector bulb.   People would come and watch a movie, and then what?

Considering the journey between communities now, they're probably going to do a little trading while they're there.  They'll trade information and skills and possibly labor, as well as goods.  Maybe someone will see the fixer-upper quality and decide yes, this is something I'm willing to take on for a place of relative prominence in a community that needs people like me.  Because, hey, they've got some cool stuff here if I do.

Imagine that the filthy grimy Rick crew fresh off the roads and eating dogs had stumbled on the Kingdom as-is instead of Alexandria.  Sure, they probably initially would have sneered at the prioritizing of the movie over other things too just like they sneered over book clubs and pasta makers.  But then they would have seen the potential of the place with walls and a few nice quality of life perks thrown in and buckled down to make it work.  I mean, they didn't really need hot showers to survive, but they sure did come to enjoy them quickly enough since Alexandra just happened to have them.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Timetoread said:
20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

And remember that life can be enjoyable sometimes.

This was the conclusion of Annie Hall, where the memory of a Marx Bros movie was what made his "miserable, neurotic" life worthwhile.

13 hours ago, heisenberg said:

It reminds me of a very important matter:  "Did Henry had time to fix the pipe before the beheading?"

Well, throughout this entire season Henry has put in maybe a half-day or so on his apprenticeship - the reason he went to Hilltop in the first place - so in answer to your question, let me pose another:  What do you think Henry learned in his whole arduous 4 or 5 hours of apprenticeship which made him MORE able to fix it than when he left? 😉

2 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

You could say that about all the leaders except Herschel, the actual farming farmer. From the Governator to Negan, all they did was talk.

You’re expecting something else from Management?  😄

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Didn't somebody, (I thought Daryl & Michonne's group) find the dead woman with her hair & clothes? If so when did Elpha capture the pikees wearing her clothes/hair? I think the show played (us) as if they were happening simultaneously.

Also, I think the noisy pipes were the lure for all those captured. (the same way you would lure a walker, lol)

• Love 3
Just now, Eulipian 5k said:

Didn't somebody, (I thought Daryl & Michonne's group) find the dead woman with her hair & clothes? If so when did Elpha capture the pikees wearing her clothes/hair? I think the show played (us) as if they were happening simultaneously.

Also, I think the noisy pipes were the lure for all those captured. (the same way you would lure a walker, lol)

They found the Hilltop group’s wagon and plundered supplies, but not the people/bodies.  The whole reason the group split up with Daryl, Michonne, Yumiko, etc. going off into the woods was in case the Hilltoppers in question were still alive and in need of rescue.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Nashville said:

The whole reason the group split up with Daryl, Michonne, Yumiko, etc. going off into the woods was in case the Hilltoppers in question were still alive and in need of rescue.

Aarrgh!! Another case of "let's split up and go find the missing so we can lose more". Where's Colin Powell?: Go in force, with the weaponry you need dammit!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Aarrgh!! Another case of "let's split up and go find the missing so we can lose more". Where's Colin Powell?: Go in force, with the weaponry you need dammit!

Like you, Daryl did not like the idea of one little bit; Yumiko argued the Hilltoppers might be in the same situation as Alden and Luke (the two Awful captured and ransomed to get Lydia out of Hilltop) and wore Daryl down on the idea, though, to the point Daryl went along with it.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Yumiko argued the Hilltoppers might be in the same situation as Alden and Luke (the two Awful captured and ransomed to get Lydia out of Hilltop) and wore Daryl down on the idea, though, to the point Daryl went along with it.

Daryl's got a lot to go back to:

image.png.ff74bcbc48276f191d6131b664d97df0.png

Maybe Carol's little subterfuge with Dog and the walker prompted Daryl to leave Dog at the Kingdom, so Carol saved Dog!

Edited by Eulipian 5k
Carol saves the day
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

All evidence suggested that he was doing fairly well as a leader, even with the Saviors taking their cut, until he was convinced to join Rick's war and in one fell swoop they lost most of their fighting/work force.  The Saviors also burned a lot of the place down.  It seems like they've never managed to recover from that.  Multiple years of fewer hands to do the work have led to less production and lots of things just not getting done.  By now the Kingdom probably has the stink of a place falling down around itself, which is going to be a hard sell to anyone who might have otherwise joined them when they can see more prosperous communities like the Hilltop just up the road. 

We met both the Governor and Negan when they were sitting on top of the proverbial world and didn't have to watch them try to regroup from being burned to the ground.  And even then, they both nearly went to pieces at the first signs of trouble.  Remember the Woodburries lining up to scurry out the gates after Rick's crew broke in to steal Glenn and Maggie back while he hid behind the curtains until Andrea started making first lady speeches to rally the troops.  Negan's crew was ready to start rationing supplies and capitulate to a worker uprising 5 minutes after their factory building was surrounded by a walker herd until Eugene of all people unexpectedly came up with a save.  None of this suggests Zeke doesn't have his faults.  He's very much a quality of life is paramount kind of leader and apparently not so great at austerity and prioritizing to shore up what you do have.  He seemed to be pinning all his hopes on the fair establishing enough trade and maybe attracting some new people to help right the ship.  He just had no way of knowing there was a weird corpse wearing cult roaming around nearby.

Ezekiel was doing well as a leader before he ran into Rick's crew.  His community was not only able to feed themselves, they were able to pay Negan's vig as well.  Losing most of his strongest and best fighters, who followed Rick straight into the Gatling guns was a big blow to the community.  Add that to hooking up with Carol, who would suck the will to live out of the most ambitious person and you have a leader who thinks the most important thing is to lead his community in a search for a light bulb.  Entertaining the troops is very important; ask Bob Hope.  But taking your best and brightest on a wild goose chase, when you're already running short of workers is absurd.  The fair was a good idea to get the other communities to give his community stuff, but I don't think regular movie nights would induce anyone to leave the comfort and safety of Hilltop or Alexandria.

Ezekiel seems to have lost his mojo and he needs to get it back with a quickness because ALL the communities are dealing with a psycho who has her own form of cosplay.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 4

Was the number of heads on pikes supposed to mean something? Was it quid pro quo for the number of Whisperers killed? 

I was starting to really like Tammy Rose, I think I'm most bothered by her death honestly although during that speech I did wish we'd seen more of their heroic last stand. I would have felt more for the surly teens and Tara. It was shocking overall though.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

Was the number of heads on pikes supposed to mean something? Was it quid pro quo for the number of Whisperers killed? 

The number of contracts up for negotiation, more than likely.  ;>

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Did  Lydia Alpha get the wig and dress she was wearing from the blond haired woman she killed/scalped early on in this episode?

Yes, zombie apocalypse Nicole Kidman was the source of said hair and dress. 

• Love 4

You guys realize that will Michonne will have to free Negan to help her stop the whispers and then when she dies, Negan will be stepfather to Ricks kids??? Mr. Grimes has a surprise coming to him........(though maybe Judith don't count lol)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Upon rewatching the episode, I noticed that Zombie Nicole Kidman's hair was much longer under that hat when she was on the way to the fair, than when we first saw her. 

When we first saw her, it was a flashback.

Edited by Gobi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, Eulipian 5k said:

Not the two instances cited. Zeke's kingdom is patterned after Europe. Since God chooses the King, by divine right, the Monarchy is passed on thru noble blood. Thus the children can become Monarch not the commoner, Grace Kelly, or Diana, or  Phillip. The Monarch bestows the title Prince or Princess. Elizabeth made sure to let all know that Diana would never be Queen Diana if Chuckie became King of England. Itg's partly why the Royal families of Eur became sooo interbred.

Totally off topic, but no.  The wife of the King is the Queen, certainly in the British Monarchy (and most, if not all, other monarchies), and regardless of royal blood. Henry VIII had six queens and only two were royal by birth (Katherine of Aragon & Anne of Cleves). Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was a commoner by birth (like Diana Spencer, the daughter of an earl) but was queen by virtue of her marriage to George VI.  Prince Philip is of royal blood (he is a prince of Greece) but the Queen’s sovereignty  doesn’t automatically elevate her husband as does a man’s sovereignty because ... sexism.  Princess Grace’s husband was Prince of Monaco because Monaco is a principality and not a kingdom, so it would be odd indeed if she got a higher title than he. 

But you are correct that there is a difference between a Queen Regnant (e.g. QEII) and a Queen Consort (the Queen Mother).  Even then, though, it is not unknown for Queens Consort to seize their husband’s power to rule in their own right.

Long live Queen (consort) Carol.

Edited by Trillian
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Gobi said:

When we first was her, it was a flashback.

Ok that makes sense.  I just wonder how long ago it was but, of course, the writers would never let us know.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok that makes sense.  I just wonder how long ago it was but, of course, the writers would never let us know.

You could go by the number of times they said Happy Anniversary to each other and assume each means the passing of a year.  Or not.  It's definitely open to interpretation.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

You could go by the number of times they said Happy Anniversary to each other and assume each means the passing of a year.  Or not.  It's definitely open to interpretation.

Shows you how much I was paying attention because I don't even remember them saying happy anniversary to each other because I kept wondering who the hell they were. 

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Shows you how much I was paying attention because I don't even remember them saying happy anniversary to each other because I kept wondering who the hell they were. 

Remember when Hilde gave Miles the first of the wooden “H” tokens, she said it was “wood, for their anniversary”.

Traditionally, something wood is the signature gift for the fifth anniversary.

Which doesn’t necessarily say how long they had been at Hilltop - but it had to have been somewhere within 0-5 years.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Remember when Hilde gave Miles the first of the wooden “H” tokens, she said it was “wood, for their anniversary”.

Traditionally, something wood is the signature gift for the fifth anniversary.

Which doesn’t necessarily say how long they had been at Hilltop - but it had to have been somewhere within 0-5 years.

Yes, I do remember her giving him the wooden "H" but that's about all.

I'm so impressed that you know their names!

• Love 4