Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E15: The Calm Before

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Shimmergloom said:

She went straight to Ezekiel and told him in the theater.

Yes, but I wonder how long she waited before she told him?  She should have jumped up and yelled as soon as her mother sat down beside her.

Speaking of her mother sitting beside her, how convenient that in a fully packed theater, there just happens to be a vacant seat next to Lydia?  Yyyeaahhh. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, but I wonder how long she waited before she told him?  She should have jumped up and yelled as soon as her mother sat down beside her.

Speaking of her mother sitting beside her, how convenient that in a fully packed theater, there just happens to be a vacant seat next to Lydia?  Yyyeaahhh. 

I thought she was saving the seat for Henry.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Samwise979 said:

I didn't really care for Henry but that Carol and Daryl scene made me care a heck of a lot that his head was on that pike. Poor Carol. And great acting from the two of them. Sophia flashbacks!

I am more in shock than upset that Tara and Enid died. At first when they showed the scene of Gabriel asking Eugene "have you seen her" I thought for sure Rosita was dead and I was like, nooooooooo! Not because I care for her all that much but because she is pregnant.

Anyway reading all of your replies about how Alpha really needs to die a terrible horrible bloody death, I think the writers did their job because I'm sure that's exactly how they want us to feel. 

Except I only want Alpha to die so I don't have to listen to her weird speaking yammer on and on anymore. Much like I felt about Negan and Garbage Dump Lady.

Edited by Lamima
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Nobody was actively attacking their communities or marching up to their gates making grandiose threats because Rick didn't immediately hand Michonne or Tara over.  Are they now all going to just pretend that Lydia wasn't the impetus for all of this, even after Beta told them point blank that it could have been avoided had they just given her back?  

The Governor wanted Rick to hand over Michonne and threatened the whole camp if he didn't.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Samwise979 said:

The Governor wanted Rick to hand over Michonne and threatened the whole camp if he didn't.

Not when Michonne initially showed up at the gate, which was the point.  She was wounded and carrying baby formula and that was only thing they knew about her.  The crap with the governor came much later. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

Then we got Daryl blowing up a tank with a grenade. That was pretty awesome. Sweet memories.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, TWOPrefugee said:

You know this is true don't you? It's not the first time that AMC has pulled this crap trying to goad viewers into watching some new program.

I would not put it past AMC.  But, I'm not sure how listing TWD as from 9 to 10 and ITBL starting at 10 would help ITBL ratings.  

A while back, they listed a 1 hour episode of TWD as a 2 hour episode, but the 2nd hour was another show ("The Terror" I think).  That trick would help the ratings of the other show. This snafu would seem to hurt ITBL ratings.  

Given AMC's history, I think it is possible, they were planning some sort of schedule trickery and they screwed it up, and it backfired.  But, the way it turned out probably hurt their ratings.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Ohwell said:
8 hours ago, Shimmergloom said:

She went straight to Ezekiel and told him in the theater.

She told Alpha to go away.  She said she wanted her to leave so the people of the communities wouldn't hurt her.

Yes, it feels obvious that she really should have known better than that as very little that Alpha has done until now has seemed to take Lydia by surprise.  But she's still an abused kid and Alpha is still her mother, even if she is an abusive one.  With everyone being so nice about letting Lydia stay and having a shiny new boyfriend, there seemed to be a whole lot of wishful thinking going on there that unfortunately got a lot of people killed.

• Love 5

My question to this affair with the Whisperers: why did they not cross path with the Saviors / Negan before? The Saviors were more dominating, ruthless and less forgiving than the four communities. Negan would have wiped the floor - or at least attempted to - with them. As well, they survive all these years as a group simply by being nomad? Gathering and scavenging along they way? They do not eat what the Guardians eat, so how do they sustain that community?

Regarding Siddiq:

Spoiler

Is he a mole? This is the description of next week episode. "In the aftermath of an overwhelming loss, the communities must brave a ferocious blizzard; as one group deals with an enemy from within, another is forced to make a life or death decision."

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Lydia has been abused and manipulated her entire life - her not jumping up and yelling was very true to an abuse victim who finally started to feel safe only to have their abuser show up in a safe space. It looked like she froze when she realized it was Alpha who sat down next to her and Alpha was obviously wearing the locks from a fresh kill. 

11 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

I thought she was saving the seat for Henry.

She was.

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

a) She was saving the seat for Henry (no accounting for taste, I guess).

b) IIRC, there were a lot of empty seats.  I believe the right and left sections were empty or nearly empty and only the middle section seats were occupied.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Remember when Zombie Sophia walking out of the barn was like the.biggest.shock ever and we cared? That seems like a decade ago. 

It pretty much WAS nearly a decade ago. And yes, a lot of deaths were utterly shocking and upsetting  -  Hershel most of all, because we knew him so well and loved him. Now it's, "the lady with the baby" or "the guy in the cowboy hat" or "the girl with the glasses".  Who cares?

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Alpha needs to die, they better not give that monster a cell right next to fucking Negan.

Right. If they stick to the Word of the Grimes Boys, they can't kill her, but they need to put her in the cell WITH fucking Negan. They can monologue, brag, and threaten each other to death. "AH EM ELPHA! yadda yadda" and "My balls are made of steel. I could screw your brains out! Blabla" Or something. I'd watch an ep of that.

Okay, so, Alpha, Beta, Jadis, the guys in the invisible helicopter: All connected? A band of filthy, subsistence-level nomads wearing rotten skin is so important they are discussed far and wide? I am so lost here.

2 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

does Beta ever take off his mask? It must be really rank in there. 

I feel sorry for the actor. Here he is on "The best, most wonderful, greatest TV show in entertainment history" and no one even sees his face.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

a) She was saving the seat for Henry (no accounting for taste, I guess).

b) IIRC, there were a lot of empty seats.  I believe the right and left sections were empty or nearly empty and only the middle section seats were occupied.  

Oh, ok.  The overhead shot looked like just about all the seats were filled.

9 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I would not put it past AMC.  But, I'm not sure how listing TWD as from 9 to 10 and ITBL starting at 10 would help ITBL ratings.  

A while back, they listed a 1 hour episode of TWD as a 2 hour episode, but the 2nd hour was another show ("The Terror" I think).  That trick would help the ratings of the other show. This snafu would seem to hurt ITBL ratings.  

Given AMC's history, I think it is possible, they were planning some sort of schedule trickery and they screwed it up, and it backfired.  But, the way it turned out probably hurt their ratings.  

My all-time "favorite" AMC fuckery was when their AMC/TWD page spoiled Beth's death for anyone not living on the east coast.  

The backlash from that was pretty epic.

So bumping off Tara *and* Henry in one fell swoop?

Happy early birthday to me.

Ironically, I hadn't been spoiled for this episode and the last I had read, the lineup of heads was rumored to be Ezekiel and Rosita along with a few others.  I was telling Mini Persnickety if TPTB would just oust Tara, I'd forgive the show for its transgressions these past few seasons.  

Like a lot of posters, my playback cut off at the one-hour mark with Alpha sitting down in the movie theater.  No previews, no closing credits, nada.  Weird but as an episode ending, it sort of made (AMC) sense.  

Went on to watch TTD and discovered the pike scene happened after the playback ended and that Tara and Henry were amongst the victims and went back to the live airing coming up in an hour and managed to catch the episode in its entirety.  No way in hell was I going to be cheated out of seeing Tara (and bonus Henry) vamoose from my screen.

I thought this episode would have made a great season finale, so now I'm curious as to what's going to happen next week that will top this.  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I thought this episode would have made a great season finale, so now I'm curious as to what's going to happen next week that will top this.  

Winter's coming.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Well, my onscreen guide listed an extended episode and my DVR automatically recorded the whole show, so maybe it was a problem with some carriers?  It does suck for all the folks who missed the ending, but I doubt AMC was banking on everyone watching live, or also recording Into the Badlands ...

I was sorry to see any heads on spikes, no matter how minor the characters.  Much as I didn't love Henry, seeing Carol's pain was gutwrenching.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gaPeach said:

I totally believe this.  They have gone over the 1 hour time slot before and it was always recorded.  Can you image the outcry back when the series was the hottest thing on TV if it hadn't?   Viewership has fallen and I think maybe this way the can see how much of an outcry they get from those fans of us left that still like the show and watch it every week.  I don't watch live because of all the commercials.  So yeah, I missed ending and only found out this morning.  

There is no other explanation that I can think of.  It was a big ending to this episode so how could they NOT extend episode???

No, they didn't limit it to one hour. My Tivo recorded the episode with its expanded time frame and Badlands was recorded separately in its own time frame. It's up to the provider of the guide data to push out updated schedules to their dvr clients.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I was sorry to see any heads on spikes, no matter how minor the characters.  Much as I didn't love Henry, seeing Carol's pain was gutwrenching.

I lost it when Darryl rushed over to try and prevent her from seeing Henry. 

• Love 6

I'm going to give credit where it's due. TWD has been FANTASTIC at killing off annoying characters at the exact moment when my urge to kill has reached boiling point. 1st there was Dale. Thank you Carl for the herd reroute. Then there was Lori. Thanks Judith! Then Andrea. Thanks Gov! Then Hershel (I know he is a loved character but he got on my nerves). Unfortunately his youngest spawn was there to stink up the place for a while with her bad acting and endless Chipette singing style, but Bad Cop Dawn finally got rid of Beth for me. Tyreese was making me homicidal, but the walkers I hired shut that shit down. Everybody in Alexandria needed to die - especially Rick's crush and her horrible offspring. And die they did. So here we are in S9 and we finally are rid of Henry, who is hands down one of the stupidest people this show has ever introduced. Why that child was permitted to roam around unattended is beyond me because if you don't see him, he's breaking something. So yeah, I'm looking forward to the finale now that the riff-raff has been cleared out. Oh wait, there's one more - Negan. After 7.1 he was dead to me. I will NEVER forgive that shit!

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

Of course I want Alpha gone, but I also want pie-faced Lydia to die because she knew her mother was a crazy homicidal bitch who would do anything to get her back.  If Lydia cared anything about anyone other than herself, she should have gone back to her mother before the Fair.  I want both of them ripped to shreds by wild, hungry dogs.  The rest of the Whisperers can die in some kind of explosion. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 6

I'm glad there's still a Kinko's operating in the zombie apocalypse that could print out an oversized declaration. And Sharpies that haven't dried out! Nice!

Haha, I have tons of Sharpies from my last job years ago--they're still fine!

• Love 4

If I was Lydia I wouldn't have the nerve to stick around facing all the people who lost loved ones. I have to say with the exception of the dvr snafu, it was cool to be really surpised at this unexpected turn of events. I knew things were going too smoothly at the fair but I had no idea they were gonna do all that.

• Love 3

Part of me kinda wants to see Carol go hunting for Alpha carrying Lydia's head on a stick. I also really wanted Daryl to just push Alpha over the edge of the cliff into all the zombies. I really, really hope Neagan isn't the one who saves them by killing Alpha.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have a pre-2002 black sharpie that still works.  My ex put red tape around the cap - foreshadowing Rick's (and my) machete.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, maystone said:

Carol seemed to have some sort of premonition that something terrible was coming. I caught it a couple times during the fair;

That last wistful wave as she went thru the gate had me reeally worried for Carol. I liked how they manipulated the time. I was saying "she looks like Elpha, but who wiped her mouth down to the clean skin?" Sh!# just got real!

Thank you Daryl for keeping Lydia, at the cost of half the cast, WTH? Now she can go be BFFs with the HillTop Beavis & Butthead.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, BravoAddict72 said:

Part of me kinda wants to see Carol go hunting for Alpha carrying Lydia's head on a stick. I also really wanted Daryl to just push Alpha over the edge of the cliff into all the zombies. I really, really hope Neagan isn't the one who saves them by killing Alpha.

That would really piss me off. I keep reading people expecting Carol to be the one who takes her down, but I have the gut feeling that Carol's reaction will be defeat instead of fire. If Negal kills Alpha as part of some bullshit redemption arc I will rage.

• Love 8

I didn't particular have any feels for Tara one way or another but as a character who has been on the show for so long we just sent her out bulk style with the likes of Brett Butler and The Prince of Petulance? With no back story no less? I am sorry I am not counting that piss poor rendition Siddiq gave us. Something is not right there. What happened with the king? Surely we are going to get more details???....., if not then I am taking my ball and going home.

Are we to believe that this was all because they "stole" Alpha's daughter so as retaliation she decided to take out a bunch of randos along with the entire Scooby gang? Geesh. That reminds me of when I was younger and I would playfully punch my brother in the arm and his (over)reaction would be to dislocate mine. 

Edited by Gemini Gipsy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Okay, can someone explain to me like I'm five years old how Elpha & co. rounded up all these people and killed them so easily?

She only had to take one. All the others are the stupid AF search parties that go out looking for the one who was taken.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I also really wanted Daryl to just push Alpha over the edge of the cliff into all the zombies. I really, really hope Neagan isn't the one who saves them by killing Alpha.

The last time he pushed someone over an edge, he didn't even stick around to make sure it did the job.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

I hope this reignites the bad-ass in Carol. I'm pretty much done with this domesticated watered down version. It is FAR worse than the cookie baking vest wearing version of OG Alexandria, because at least we all knew that was a facade. 

Someone hand her some clippers and a knife and let her show Alpha who is really top dog.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Timetoread said:

TWD has been FANTASTIC at killing off annoying characters at the exact moment when my urge to kill has reached boiling point. 1st there was Dale.

Hell, yes. He was part of the reason I stopped watching the show. Bug-eyed, PITA old busybody got on my last nerve.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I want both of them ripped to shreds by wild, hungry dogs.

Don't expect that on this show where all animals, including deer, horses and a frickin' tiger are slow, weak, helpless zombie fodder.

19 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

She only had to take one. All the others are the stupid AF search parties that go out looking for the one who was taken.

Thanks. That makes sense.🤣

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Winter's coming.

Oy, finally an episode set in winter.

I'm looking forward to it, but those poor people having to film in sweltering heat and humidity yet all bundled up and feigning being cold.  

• Love 3

Xfininity DVR did not pick up ending.  have on demand option but it won't even let me fast forward thru the show part....so I'm forced to let it run out until I get to where I want to watch.  have it on mute right now.

I thought Tara's acting had improved a lot recently and I didn't mind her so much so am sorry to hear she's on the stakes.  Same with Enid, a once annoying character who has grown on me.

In all fairness to Lydia, she did tell Henry that her mother would seek vengeance.  Alpha out foxed them.  

I, too, hope to see old Carol come back.  and ditch the hair.  So you cut it so your abusive husband couldn't grab it.  So the walkers can't????

• Love 3

Why did Alpha have a perfectly clean face when she was all dressed up and wearing the blondie scalp at the fair? Then when she captured Daryl et al she had that dark schmutz around her mouth and eyes again. Does she rub burnt cork on her face when she's officially "Alpha" or something?

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:
15 hours ago, maystone said:

I would be up for this. "Whisperers. Come out to playayyyyyy."

I would love for the Baseball Furies to be the next villains,

You know the Highwaymen would have cleaned out all  the Whisperers if Carol had a copy of "The Warriors".

I suspect the Horde will some how be used to take care Elpha and her Pre-Cog ass. (Another great movie for Carol's BlockBuster franchise.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hell ya, Sharpies will absolutely survive the ZA. They will outlast anything. My favorite Flair pens. They wouldn't last five minutes, but Sharpies -- they will be alive and kicking. 🙂 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am lost; the last thing my DVR showed me was Alpha shushing Lydia during the movie. 

We need a club.

How come Beta is out prancing around - he fell down an elevator shaft yesterday.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Okay, can someone explain to me like I'm five years old how Elpha & co. rounded up all these people and killed them so easily?

I expect Alpha had already infiltrated several Whisperers besides herself into the Faire, and set up an ambush point - back where the pipes were making the racket, maybe?  

Once that was done, the rest was easy; “Debbie” could cull the targets from the herd and lead them to the ambush point, one by one - probably by asking for assistance, as most people are inclined to help friendly “lost” strangers.

“Excuse me - Henry/Addy/Enid/etc., was it? - I was wondering if you knew where I might find the King.  He said he wanted to talk to me about something, but then he went off to ‘check on some pipes’ , I believe it was, and I don’t know where he went to.  Oh, you can take me there?  Why thank you so much - you’re TOO kind to do so....”

16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I don't know who most of the Heads on Sticks were, but recognized Tara and Prince Henry. Good riddance to that LITTLE SHIT. His head was still pouting!

Well, to be fair - if you’d had YOUR head cut off and jammed up on top of a pointy stick, I expect you might be feeling a little pouty yourself....  😄 

Hated that exit for Enid, though; I’d grown to like her character better than in her early days.

15 hours ago, Kanner said:

I have no reason not to trust Siddiq but that speech at the end was fishy? It was like Shane’s speech about Otis. I really hope I am wrong. 

I wouldn’t read too much into Awful’s sparing of Siddiq, as it’s a technique which has been used for years by pirates, mass murderers and gunfighters alike - kill all but one you leave behind to tell the tale, and you build your reputation to the point it does half the work for you in terms of cowing potential resistance.

15 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

My little heart was gleeful that Henry's head was on a stick, but I bawled to see Carole's pain. 

Agreed; Carol and Daryl did the best jobs selling that scene.

15 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I hope Carol has a walker eat Alpha alive. She has done that before and it is a fittingly painful death for that crazy woman.

My mind had already gone to that prospect; picturing Carol stringing Awful up by her wrists, but leaving Awful’s legs dangling for any passing walker to take a bite out of.  “HEY, WHO WANTS A DRUMSTICK?”

15 hours ago, mxc90 said:

My DVR stopped after the girl recognized the lady at the movie and I missed the ending (best part?).

15 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

My dvr cut off early! The spike scene was at the end of tonight’s episode?!? I saw that clip on Reddit and thought it was for next week!

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am lost; the last thing my DVR showed me was Alpha shushing Lydia during the movie. 

AMC had apparently pushed out an inaccurate initial channel guide listing for the episode, listing it as a 60-minute episode.  A corrected 90-minute listing was subsequently pushed out; most DVRs only update their channel guide listings in background off-time when the customer has the box turned off, though, so many DVRs (which hadn’t been turned off since the update was issued) didn’t pick up the correction.

2 hours ago, Quilty said:

Where did Lydia get the necklace with the wooden "H"? I thought the whisperers killed the woman who made them before she got to the fair?

Several possibilities, actually.  Lydia’s first contact with the Communities was Hilltop, remember; she may have picked it up there prior to being returned to the Whisperers.  Or another Hilltopper at the fair besides just Hilde may have been toting some tokens to pass around.  Or Henry may have given it to Lydia.

1 hour ago, Gemini Gipsy said:

Are we to believe that this was all because they "stole" Alpha's daughter so as retaliation she decided to take out a bunch of randos along with the entire Scooby gang? Geesh. That reminds me of when I was younger and I would playfully punch my brother in the arm and his (over)reaction would be to dislocate mine. 

Given Beta’s comments, I think the story Awful sold to the rest of the Whisperers was that the Hilltop gang had gone back on their prisoner-trade deal by re-capturing Lydia - and Awful herself may even have believed that, prior to her post-theater conversation with Lydia.  

After that conversation it was too late, of course; Awful couldn’t call off the Whisperer kidnapping plan without looking weak, and anger/jealousy (over her daughter choosing the Community folks over her own mother) may have disinclined her from doing so anyway.

19 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Why did we get that scene where Elpha killed some rando skin walker? Was it because she got caught crying?

Yup.  No one sees the Alpha display weakness - of if they do, they get killed before they can take advantage of it.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

I did like the Highwaymen  and they never got their movie  😞.  But when they first came on scene I wondered why every group had to have a gimmick and a name.  

Now that the Highwaymen are gone I expect to see these guys show up 

DF915512-3569-458A-ADD2-792DE84332CE.gif.ccd6d8e43a83894dc2833adedf54f2b5.gif

Or at least Alex and his droogs. "Vide well, Darryl, vide well!"

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I think the story Awful sold to the rest of the Whisperers was that the Hilltop gang had gone back on their prisoner-trade deal by re-capturing Lydia - and Awful herself may even have believed that, prior to her post-theater conversation with Lydia.  

After that conversation it was too late, of course; Awful couldn’t call off the Whisperer kidnapping plan without looking weak, and anger/jealousy (over her daughter choosing the Community folks over her own mother) may have disinclined her from doing so anyway.

I think Alpha knew Lydia was with Darryl & everyone and the people who were abducted were taken before Alpha found Lydia in the theater.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Went on to watch TTD and discovered the pike scene happened after the playback ended and that Tara and Henry were amongst the victims and went back to the live airing coming up in an hour

To AMC's credit, I greatly appreciated Chris Hardwick stating up front that there was an issue with many DVR's and if you missed the last 20 minutes there would be major spoilers on TTD. As I was unspoiled,  I turned it off immediately and watched the later showing before going back to TTD,  It made for a late night, but I would have been upset if I had found out what happened before watching.

In the context of the show, I found the deaths quite shocking but having never been a fan of Tara, Enid or Henry, I was just really happy that there weren't any characters that I liked.  The anvils seemed to be hovering over Ezekiel and Carol a lot so I was very relieved that they were alive (if not well) at the end.

3 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Thank you Daryl for keeping Lydia, at the cost of half the cast, WTH? Now she can go be BFFs with the HillTop Beavis & Butthead.

Not sure which was Beavis and which was Butthead, but one of them was up on a pike alongside Henry. 😉 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I think Alpha knew Lydia was with Darryl & everyone and the people who were abducted were taken before Alpha found Lydia in the theater.

Awful knew Lydia was with Daryl&Co., no doubt, but might not have understood why - that Lydia left of her own free will, as opposed to being re-snatched by Daryl’s crew.  Beta’s comments (which came directly from Awful, no doubt) indicated the Whisperers were laboring under the delusion Daryl’s group had taken Lydia.

11 minutes ago, leocadia said:

To AMC's credit, I greatly appreciated Chris Hardwick stating up front that there was an issue with many DVR's and if you missed the last 20 minutes there would be major spoilers on TTD. As I was unspoiled,  I turned it off immediately and watched the later showing before going back to TTD,  It made for a late night, but I would have been upset if I had found out what happened before watching.

Echo echo - CH’s comments spared me as well.

ETA: TBH I don’t think the scheduling snafu was deliberate on AMC’s part THIS time; I got the impression CH’s warning at the beginning of TTD was a Hail Mary on the part of the network to salvage a fuckup of which they weren’t aware until after the broadcast was already in progress/over.  Probably TPTB’s only saving grace was the MSP of Into the Badlands interceding between TWD  and TTD, which gave them some realization/reaction time they would not have had otherwise.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3