Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: The Shake Up

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Now that you mention it, I wonder if cremations are more common these days, but if TV deaths in general tend to have more burials because of the opportunity to show grieving friends, family, fellow officers, etc.
But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that well known, and especially admired public figures tend to be buried at higher rates than the general public—and not just because of expense, but primarily so the public will have a place to mourn.

Captain Andersen was a risk taker, but very organized. Maybe she pre-planned what she wanted for her funeral arrangements.

3 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

No lead character is happily married. (OK- Grey is, but none of the TO's.)

Divorce is more common than long-term marriage these days. Bardford, Nolan and Andersen were all divorced. Nolan, at least, had a pretty good run.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, mxc90 said:

That fake cop should watch an old episode of CHIPs to see what the uniform looks like.

I remember my friend getting pulled over back when CHiPs was on and noticing that Jon and Ponch didn't wear that silly looking blue bow tie. 

Since most LAPD divisions don't wear patches LAPD has to be among the easiest police departments for the TV/movie costume departments. I always noticed that LA Sheriff's patches when those characters show up the hue is off. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I don't know how promotions work in a police department but I would like to see the sargent take the captian's job.  His speech after the earthquake seemed to point to him being the best man for the job.  Then Bradford could take the Sargent's exam and be shift leader.  Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, in real life.

In our department, there's a lieutenant's position between sergeant and captain.

11 hours ago, taurusrose said:

On the topic of the captain being killed...I liked her and didn’t expect her to be killed off, but am I possibly the only person watching and not attributing her death to a BTS political move or sexism or whatever? I’d be way more upset if they killed off Bishop or Lopez. I view both of them as strong, independent women who carry more weight story-wise then RIP Anderson.

Not the only one. I liked her, and if they were going to kill her off, I liked the badass way they did it.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Now that you mention it, I wonder if cremations are more common these days, but if TV deaths in general tend to have more burials because of the opportunity to show grieving friends, family, fellow officers, etc.
But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that well known, and especially admired public figures tend to be buried at higher rates than the general public—and not just because of expense, but primarily so the public will have a place to mourn.

Cremations don't preclude graveyard services, and though many people ask for their ashes to be spread, many are interned. Both of my parents were, and my father got full military honors at the cemetery. Though, truth be told, the flag part of the service is a little less impressive when they lay it over an urn. I had to stifle my natural tendency to snark. Though being handed the folded flag at the end, with the President's message was surprisingly moving - given that it's a rote message.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I don't know how promotions work in a police department but I would like to see the sargent take the captian's job.  His speech after the earthquake seemed to point to him being the best man for the job.  Then Bradford could take the Sargent's exam and be shift leader.  Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, in real life.

Real life LAPD is like an officer versus enlisted in the US military. Officers,  Sergeants, Detectives and Lieutenants being sort of like enlisted. With Captains, Commanders and Chiefs being like miltary officers.

For Commander West to be named Captain of his son's station would be a demotion. Meanwhile the other's advance in ranks due to test written and oral interviews and time in rank. None of the main characters are in the position to advance to the next level on the show except in an acting capacity until someone of the proper rank is assigned. 

If he was promoted  to Lieutenant the division's watch commander Sergeant Grey could move up to the area watch commander with the fictional South Wilshire of the show being among the divisions he is responsible for.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2019 at 5:08 AM, madmaverick said:

Also really was not keen on the anvil in the scene at the end hinting at Nolan's insecurities as a rookie dating an impressive woman.  Nolan's always appeared as a confident man who had the balls to join the police academy and become a rookie in middle age, so it doesn't make sense to me for his character to be insecure suddenly just because she dated a SEAL. And insecurity like this is never an attractive trait in a man.  They don't need to make this Nolan's.  And does Nolan have any other casual clothes than this plaid shirt?  It's not a flattering look on him either. 

I think Nolan's insecurity is spot on.  Nolan had basically been with the same woman for 20 some years, marrying his ex-wife very young. Every man or woman I know who has come out of a long term marriage and started dating again is insecure. It's a natural reaction in my opinion. Anyone I know in that situation who isn't insecure is the egotistical asshole who has always thought they're god's gift. 

I think it's completely realistic for Nolan to be a bit insecure in this relationship. Or any relationship for that matter, having been out of the dating scene for 20 years. They're not showing him being insecure in all other things. I find it very realistic the way they're playing his dating life and relationships. 

I think he and Jessica are a cute pair. I hope we see more of her. I think the speculation that she will become the new captain is crazy because that just doesn't seem like something she would be interested in based on what we've been told about her character. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I don’t know, I fell asleep again this week during the episode. Mr MML loved Castle and is still enjoying The Rookie but I feel like Nolan has turned into a plodding schlub whom I can’t believe is a cop never mind attracting a superhot girlfriend, and the show’s not as much fun as I had hoped (LA has a lot of oddness it’s celebrated for—perhaps a bit more “only in LA” plotlines might keep me awake). Also for me there are too many characters that I’m neutral to meh about and I really don’t care about three rookies and three trainers and miscellaneous romantic partners and superiors. And open plaid shirt over teeshirt is just cheesy stereotyping. But again, Mr MML really enjoys it. 

I wish Joel McHale could join the force as captain 😂.

• Love 2

Why did they bother to have an earthquake storyline and then focus on non-quake plots? 

The shootout at the safe house and then again at the beach - the earthquake had nothing to do with the shooting and moving the witness.

Crazy rich man in his mansion - they could have had to take that call without being on the way to look in on rich folks.

West's injury could have come from any contact during an arrest; doesn't have to be quake related.

That quake looked to be fairly serious - without being catastrophic - but it did quite a bit of damage.   That could have kept the officers busy for weeks of plots, but they barely touched on anything related to that.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, buckboard said:

Heading to the beach right after an earthquake -  without knowing if there is a tsunami warning because  all communication lines are down - might not have been the smartest move, although it turned out okay in this instance.

If I remember, as they were heading to the beach, there was a quick overhead shot of the ocean with a large wave, looking like a tsunami, moving across the screen.  I fully expected it to hit as they got to the beach.

48 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

If I remember, as they were heading to the beach, there was a quick overhead shot of the ocean with a large wave, looking like a tsunami, moving across the screen.  I fully expected it to hit as they got to the beach.

I don't know much specific about tsunamis, but don't they normally hit somewhere other than where the earthquake actually occurred? The earthquake sends out the tsunami waves to other locations from the area of the earthquake in a ripple like pattern?

• Love 3
On 3/26/2019 at 11:30 PM, shapeshifter said:

Based on my extensive knowledge of TV law, I think after he made an admission of assault she "didn't have a choice" to not arrest him. But those with knowledge of real life law might want to weigh in.

21 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I thought it was a simple assault case and I thought someone had to press charges in those cases.  I am probably wrong because all I know of that is what I've seen on TV.

I believe that @shapeshifter is correct. I've lost the original link, but I do have a quote from an actual California lawyer from a previous discussion of this topic on another show -

A person becomes charged with a crime after a citizen reports a crime or a member of law enforcement witnesses a crime. Law enforcement then either arrest or cites the person and then law enforcement forwards a report the district attorney in the county the crime occurred. The prosecutor then makes a determination about whether charges should be filed. If the prosecutor believes they can prove the case charges will be filed and the defendant will be prosecuted. There is no part in the process where a citizen presses charges against another citizen. The prosecutor represents all of the people of California, they file charges because they believe a crime has been committed against one or more citizens of California.

My understanding is that a non-cooperative victim is most likely to affect prosecution rather than arrest although the discretion that officers have varies according to jurisdiction. I would think that in most departments policy would be to arrest given the possibility of escalation.

• Useful 2
11 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

Anybody think the "business card" thing was kind of mocking all of those shows that always show homicide cops handing those out while saying, "Okay, well, if you hear anything, give us a call."

I think it was more about the impracticality of giving a business card to every person who contacts the police. I would imagine many of them might be hostile after the cops do something they don't like. Then the officer would have to file a report over the refusal to accept a card per the new captain.

I don't know how often it happens, but I would think it could help an investigation to give a witness a business card if the witness could potentially remember something important.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:55 AM, ketose said:

The protection detail was another example of Nolan being the rookie who gets into situations a real rookie never would.

And the ADA was expecting him because Sarah Shahi said he would be volunteering, although she had no way of knowing that Bradford would agree to supervise him?

On 3/26/2019 at 11:38 PM, Moose135 said:

Not right now, but in a couple of years, when he's no longer a rookie, and he moves to a new assignment so she isn't his direct superior, it could happen.

It's moot now, but if she had wanted to have kids, waiting a few years for him to be available would not have been a smart move.

On 3/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, Netfoot said:

Chief said to send a unit to his house.  I'd have sent a unit on bicycles.

That's exactly what I was thinking! 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, Destiny74 said:

I don't know how promotions work in a police department but I would like to see the sargent take the captian's job.

I think he would have to pass the lieutenant's exam, and, eventually, pass the captain's exam.

8 hours ago, buckboard said:

Why did they bother to have an earthquake storyline and then focus on non-quake plots? 

The shootout at the safe house and then again at the beach - the earthquake had nothing to do with the shooting and moving the witness.

The earthquake resulted in them being unable to request backup and forced them to rely on themselves alone. 

How many sets of handcuffs do they each carry?  They would have needed 4 sets between them to keep everyone contained.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think he would have to pass the lieutenant's exam, and, eventually, pass the captain's exam.

And, I think (but am not sure) that even if you pass the exam, you don't necessarily get the promotion immediately. There has to be a slot opened up somewhere in the organization.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, lynxfx said:

So it is crystal clear outside all around LA and the beaches, but Bel Air apparently was having the rain storm of the decade.

Was that rain? I thought it was supposed to be from a busted water main or something. Of course, I had this on in the background while I was working, sooo.... 🙂

Edited by auntiemel
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, lynxfx said:

So it is crystal clear outside all around LA and the beaches, but Bel Air apparently was having the rain storm of the decade.

Well, in our small town we can have rain pouring on one side of it, and bright sunlight on the other.  LA's a pretty widespread metropolitan area - so if it was rain, instead of a broken water main, I don't have any issue with it.

That being said, it does take us out of an episode when the situations are that different - so unless weather patterns are part of the plot, it would help to keep them more or less similar.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

As a native it was strange to hear a South Wilshire Division, which I think is standing in for Olympic Division, Captain  ordering one of his units out to Bel Air. But then it is something always done on LAPD based shows, where as NYPD shows can have cops stay on their own island.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
16 hours ago, lynxfx said:

. . . it does take us out of an episode when the situations are that different - so unless weather patterns are part of the plot, it would help to keep them more or less similar.

The blip of heavy rain and—even moreso—the dark gloom, followed by dry, fair weather did give me a moment of "Huh? What? Did I miss something?" —but that's par for the course WRT my television viewing. Still, the disconnect illustrates a lack of creative concern for the final product on the part of the show's team.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The blip of heavy rain and—even moreso—the dark gloom, followed by dry, fair weather did give me a moment of "Huh? What? Did I miss something?" —but that's par for the course WRT my television viewing. Still, the disconnect illustrates a lack of creative concern for the final product on the part of the show's team.

Sometimes when you have a production schedule and budget to meet and several days of rain, unless they can control the weather, it’s sometimes unavoidable. LA has had a very unusual amount of rain lately so I doubt they had a choice. As opposed to a lack of creative concern. 

They can create rain but they can’t make it stop. 

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

Sometimes when you have a production schedule and budget to meet and several days of rain, unless they can control the weather, it’s sometimes unavoidable. LA has had a very unusual amount of rain lately so I doubt they had a choice. As opposed to a lack of creative concern. 

The Americans had significant trouble with weather during their shooting schedules. There was plenty of snow on the ground when it was supposedly spring. There's only so much you can when you aren't shooting on a sound stage. I'm pretty tolerant of it, but it wouldn't hurt to have a toss away line about it in some cases (not in all).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

For sure. I just think it would be improved by a short line commenting on the changing weather in such a way that didn't lead the viewers to thinking that it was part of a plot point.

IDK. I guess they'd have to make it a joke, which would require making it a running joke through the episode, which would mean cutting other stuff. I don't have an answer, but I do appreciate tight editing and smooth segues.

• Love 2

That’s what I immediately thought when it was revealed that the “hit squad” was supposed to be rescuing him.

”Let’s fire indiscriminately into this house and keep our fingers crossed that we don’t kill the guy we’re being paid to rescue.”

The guy may have perceived it as being a rescue, but the people who were "rescuing" him may not have held the same view. If he is supposed to be a witness in a trial tomorrow, he's already revealed a bunch of information about the organization to officials so he is already a traitor. 

The guy is a complete dumbass for expecting the people he ratted on to rescue him. His value to the organization was being inside the border control police force. He could not only give them information, but aid in there activities. He's hardly going to be able to fulfill that role anymore, so he has little value to the organization and he has betrayed them.

At best, they'll rescue him alive and let him keep living (why?). Fundamentally, they don't want to testify in court, so if he ends up dead during the "rescue", their real mission is still accomplished. If he's "rescued" alive, he'll probably die a painful death as a warning to others. 

I didn't find the rescue crew's behaviour odd, I wondered about the intelligence of the guy they were there to rescue.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

LA's a pretty widespread metropolitan area

It is, but not where all the different groups were supposedly at. When they were at the beach you could see the general area where Bel Air would be and it is crystal clear. Let alone all of the city flyover shots which also didn't have a cloud in the sky. It would have actually been more believable if the beach was overcast and Bel Air clear. I realize it was just a bad weather timing with production but I don't think I've ever seen a weather change so abrupt in a prime time show. It was two exterior shots, they surely could have delayed production or did pick ups later. They must really have this show on a shoe string budget.

I'm still enjoying the show and hope we get a season 2. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

I live in L.A. and can tell you that sometimes the weather is crazy like that, where you'll go, "Oh, the sun's out" and then half an hour later it's raining.

In the recent LAPD show Southland, they had an episode which included a rare January snowstorm in LA.  The episode, which obviously had been filmed well in advance, aired in January and on the day it aired, they actually had a snowstorm in LA.  I saw that and said "How did they do that???"

• Love 2
On 3/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, break21 said:

The weird thing about the Rookie - they killed the strongest woman character off the show.   

I personally like Bishop the most of all the characters, and think she is the strongest.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, mxc90 said:

He gave his girlfriend a key to the house? I might be on the mother's side.

One hand, a committed relationship to his gf.  On the other, a do-it-yourself exorcism.  Yeah, not really feeling the mom here.

• Love 3

I liked this one.  With the three rookies, their training officers, Sgt. Grey, the Captain (R.I.P.), and everyone in Nolan's home life, there's a lot of characters, but I think they've done a pretty good job of developing them all.  And putting them together in different combinations has helped with the development because we get to see different sides of the characters.

When Bradford jumped at the opportunity to "bond with Nolan" I hadn't considered that those two hadn't had much screen time together yet, the two main male officers in the cast.  Bradford and Nolan worked well together.  When Nolan get bashed on the head, I was afraid Bradford would have to save him, but as Nolan said, it was nothing he couldn't handle.  The scene out at the beach shelter was fun.  Nolan and Bradford had a couple of moments of non-verbal communication that worked well.

Bishop and Chen with a few good moments as well.  The look before going into the house, the look when they heard the crazy sounds coming from the bedroom.  That's all it took, they were on the same page, and the next move was clear for both of them.  These aren't people that normally work together, so it wasn't a matter of familiarity with how their partner works; it was people who are well-trained doing their jobs well.

I try to forget how ridiculous it is that rookies are seeing more action than most veterans see in a year or even an entire career, and just enjoy how they're doing what they're doing.  And usually it's pretty good and well executed.  That's good enough for me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Orbert said:

I liked this one.  With the three rookies, their training officers, Sgt. Grey, the Captain (R.I.P.), and everyone in Nolan's home life, there's a lot of characters, but I think they've done a pretty good job of developing them all.  And putting them together in different combinations has helped with the development because we get to see different sides of the characters.

When Bradford jumped at the opportunity to "bond with Nolan" I hadn't considered that those two hadn't had much screen time together yet, the two main male officers in the cast.  Bradford and Nolan worked well together.  When Nolan get bashed on the head, I was afraid Bradford would have to save him, but as Nolan said, it was nothing he couldn't handle.  The scene out at the beach shelter was fun.  Nolan and Bradford had a couple of moments of non-verbal communication that worked well.

Bishop and Chen with a few good moments as well.  The look before going into the house, the look when they heard the crazy sounds coming from the bedroom.  That's all it took, they were on the same page, and the next move was clear for both of them.  These aren't people that normally work together, so it wasn't a matter of familiarity with how their partner works; it was people who are well-trained doing their jobs well.

I try to forget how ridiculous it is that rookies are seeing more action than most veterans see in a year or even an entire career, and just enjoy how they're doing what they're doing.  And usually it's pretty good and well executed.  That's good enough for me.

Nicely put. Unless something really, REALLY ridiculous happens and the show becomes as plausible as the latest Dwayne Johnson blockbuster action movie, I have no trouble suspending disbelief and just enjoying the ride. And that caveat only applies to shows like this one, that are semi-grounded in reality - a spy show like Whiskey Cavalier, for example, should feel free to be ridiculous.

• Love 4