Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: The Shake Up

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

A massive earthquake rocks the city and throws everyone’s patrols and its citizens into chaos. Agent Russo recommends Officer Nolan for a protective detail of Brad Hayes, a man whose dealings have put a target on his head.

1 hour ago, break21 said:

The weird thing about the Rookie - they killed the strongest woman character off the show.   Not happy with Nathan.

Nathan's said time and again that he leaves the writing to the professionals, aka the writers, and it's not his place to interfere.  Yes, he's EP alongside others, but we don't know what input he and others and the network had on this decision or what all the considerations were.  Hawley has said they went back and forth about it in the writers' room.  Unless you were an actual fly on the wall when the decision to kill off the Captain was made, I don't think it's fair to blame people when you don't know anything about the decision making process beyond what Hawley has said.

If a show or an actor is not making you happy, the quickest way to happiness is to stop watching.  What's weird to me is when people who clearly don't like a show or an actor keep watching it. 

And I would argue that there are many strong female characters on the show. 

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Nathan's said time and again that he leaves the writing to the professionals, aka the writers, and it's not his place to interfere.  Yes, he's EP alongside others, but we don't know what input he and others and the network had on this decision or what all the considerations were.  Hawley has said they went back and forth about it in the writers' room.  Unless you were an actual fly on the wall when the decision to kill off the Captain was made, I don't think it's fair to blame people when you don't know anything about the decision making process beyond what Hawley has said.

If a show or an actor is not making you happy, the quickest way to happiness is to stop watching.  What's weird to me is when people who clearly don't like a show or an actor keep watching it. 

I would agree with you! And I would argue that the captain was the strongest woman character. I think all 4 women are very strong, independent women. Some people complaining about last week make it seem as if the captain was the lead character. She wasn't. I will miss her terribly, but her part had been fairly small so far. 

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

For what it's worth-Nathan fan here.   I can be a fan and be critical at the same time.  And, I think there is reason Stana Katic is on a show no-one watches on Amazon,  And IMO - has nothing to do with Nathan Filllion. 

They shouldn't have killed off the Captain   They tried to make it female-friendly.   They hired directors actresses, and the first to go is a strong female character

Oh well,  Earthquake tonight.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, break21 said:

For what it's worth-Nathan fan here.   I can be a fan and be critical at the same time.  And, I think there is reason Stana Katic is on a show no-one watches on Amazon,  And IMO - has nothing to do with Nathan Filllion. 

They shouldn't have killed off the Captain   They tried to make it female-friendly.   They hired directors actresses, and the first to go is a strong female character

Oh well,  Earthquake tonight.

It's not about not being able to be critical as a fan.  That's not the point at all.  There's plenty of robust criticism on PTV.  It's about criticism being rooted in facts and in logic, rather than pure supposition and fact free conjecture and the leap to apportion blame when facts aren't at hand. 

And for goodness' sake, please leave Stana out of the discussion here.  Let. It. Go. 

I don't think the decision to kill off the Captain was wise, but no, I'm not about to make it a gender issue when there's no indication that was a factor in the decision at all.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

It's not about not being able to be critical as a fan.  That's not the point at all.  There's plenty of robust criticism on PTV.  It's about criticism being rooted in facts and in logic, rather than pure supposition and fact free conjecture and the leap to apportion blame when facts aren't at hand. 

And for goodness' sake, please leave Stana out of the discussion here.  Let. It. Go. 

I don't think the decision to kill off the Captain was wise, but no, I'm not about to make it a gender issue when there's no indication that was a factor in the decision at all.  

So, we are left with Nolan, after a divorce, went all-in on a much younger Rookie.   Had chemistry with the  Captain, but she was a little l older so she is out.

Older woman gets killed off so Nolan can fool around with younger ones.

Earthquake!!! 

Addendum -I like you,  we can agree to disagree.

Earthquake!!!!!

5 minutes ago, break21 said:

So, we are left with Nolan, after a divorce, went all-in on a much younger Rookie.   Had chemistry with the  Captain, but she was a little l older so she is out.

That's pure conjecture about the motivations of the writers re ageism and an example of what I meant.  But hey, it's a free for all on the internet, so believe what you want whether supported by evidence or not.

Goodness, I never knew there was so much judgment out there if I were to date an older (or younger) person.  To me, good writers can craft a strong relationship regardless of age or whatever differences.  If it didn't happen here, it's because the writing was not strong enough.  In real life, people of all ages can fall in love and I don't judge.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, madmaverick said:

That's pure conjecture about the motivations of the writers re ageism and an example of what I meant.  But hey, it's a free for all on the internet, so believe what you want whether supported by evidence or not.

Goodness, I never knew there was so much judgment out there if I were to date an older (or younger) person.  To me, good writers can craft a strong relationship regardless of age or whatever differences.  If it didn't happen here, it's because the writing was not strong enough.  In real life, people of all ages can fall in love and I don't judge.  

I try not to judge, but heavens, if an older guy fell in love with a woman his own age - I am clutching my pearls.    Heavens help if she was older,

Nolan and Chen had no chemistry and were DOA on arrival.  They stuck with it too long.  Nolan had chemistry with the Captain but they killed here off.   

I love Nathan, but I think he's a little tone-deaf when it comes to women.

Anyway, Earthquake!!!!

• Love 2

Another weird open, only thing missing was the mother rising from the grave.

Nolan's girlfriend has better chemistry with Grey than him. She should have put a Flintstones band aid on him.

That's Anderson's replacement? Good thing he's gone (train wreck averted). Are going to get a new captain every week or are they setting up Grey for the job?

That's a strong mother to get that tall kid tied to the bed. He gave his girlfriend a key to the house? I might be on the mother's side.

After a major earthquake, the assassins/rescuers are still committed to the job (I admire that). One was in the house and came from upstairs but somehow Bradford missed him when he was up there.

So if they were there for a "rescue", why shoot up the house and potentially hit Hayes?

The police must make sure the Bel-Air's homes are safe from looters or the owners??

How long was Jonah going to work for that coked up lunatic? He must really need the job/money. I'm leaving/quitting once the nose candy and BB gun comes out.

That fake cop should watch an old episode of CHIPs to see what the uniform looks like.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
Just now, mxc90 said:

The police must make sure the Bel-Air's homes are safe from looters or the owners??

Chief said to send a unit to his house.  I'd have sent a unit on bicycles.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, break21 said:

Earthquake!!! 

Addendum -I like you,  we can agree to disagree.

Earthquake!!!!!

but Nolan and the captain weren't a thing, and given their relative positions were never going to be a thing. She wasn't standing in the way of him fooling around with anyone. Also, the woman he's currently in a relationship with is actually of a similar agee so it seems like there is no ground for the "TPB want to hook nolan up with younger women" argument.

• Love 18

About 15 minutes into the episode, I thought that the show description was wrong, because I kept waiting for the earthquake.  Then it hit, but I wouldn't call it a 'massive' quake (although I've never experienced one, so what do I know?).

I did like this exchange:  'I hate to be That Guy, but I'll need some sunblock. I burn really easy.' 'I don't have any, but I can bury you up to your neck in the sand and put a trash can over your head.' 'I'm fine.'  

Edited by BooksRule
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, break21 said:

I liked the Captain a lot and thought she had great chemistry with Nolan but I could not imagine a single scenario where she and Nolan could have got together. If it’s bad for a female cop to date another cop (as everyone told Chen was the case), then imagine if a female captain got involved with a subordinate? There is just no way it would work.

I liked tonight’s ep as once again they mixed up the teams which I always like. It’s such a solid cast and I just enjoy when they switch things up.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Nolan's girlfriend has better chemistry with Grey than him

Sara Shahi has chemistry with anyone who has a pulse. And she looked good.

14 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

If Chen's father doesn't want to press charges, can she arrest the guy?

Based on my extensive knowledge of TV law, I think after he made an admission of assault she "didn't have a choice" to not arrest him. But those with knowledge of real life law might want to weigh in.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Sara Shahi has chemistry with anyone who has a pulse. And she looked good.

Based on my extensive knowledge of TV law, I think after he made an admission of assault she "didn't have a choice" to not arrest him. But those with knowledge of real life law might want to weigh in.

She sure does.

I crossed my question out. I figured she had no choice in the matter after I hit send. It was good she put him in for mental evaluation.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

I could not imagine a single scenario where she and Nolan could have got together. If it’s bad for a female cop to date another cop (as everyone told Chen was the case), then imagine if a female captain got involved with a subordinate? There is just no way it would work.

Not right now, but in a couple of years, when he's no longer a rookie, and he moves to a new assignment so she isn't his direct superior, it could happen.

Not really excited by this episode.  The big earthquake was really a non-story, other than the crazy guy in Bel Air and some problems at the station, we really didn't see them dealing with much earthquake-related cases.  Is the position of captain going to be like Murphy Brown's secretary, a different oddball character every week?  I'm struggling to continue watching this show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, Kate Beckett's old boyfriend, Tom Demming, or the actor that played him, showed up in this episode, so, there was that eye candy, at least. 

9 hours ago, break21 said:

And, I think there is reason Stana Katic is on a show no-one watches on Amazon

Speak for yourself.  Absentia is fantastic.  

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Nolan's girlfriend has better chemistry with Grey than him. She should have put a Flintstones band aid on him.

She show have put one of those pink band-aids on his head and told him "No one will notice, it's flesh colored."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I liked the Captain a lot and thought she had great chemistry with Nolan but I could not imagine a single scenario where she and Nolan could have got together. If it’s bad for a female cop to date another cop (as everyone told Chen was the case), then imagine if a female captain got involved with a subordinate? There is just no way it would work.

Most of television consists of checking reality at the door -- even reality TV falls into that category, ha.  Where there's a writer's room, there's a way.  

Can't comment on the episode.  Haven't watched.  Don't care.

"Demming"/ ADA Sean DelMonte was played by Michael Trucco, one of NFs besties.

I like the new girlfriend and that she will only show up occasionally.

I agree that there are lots of strong women characters, and nothing to prevent another female captain.

Edited by femmefan1946

Mercedes Mason is 37; Sarah Shahi is older at 39.

Why on earth is there a debate about killing off a female character when a relationship between a captain and a rookie would be entirely inappropriate and unprofessional? They made enough of a big deal with just Nolan and Chen dating and his TO telling him it was a bad idea. It is extremely unlikely the writers would change the setting of the show (the precinct) to accommodate a relationship between Nolan and Anderson. 

• Love 14

OK episode.  My main problem with it is I didn't feel it dealt with the impact of the Captain's death in a powerful way or used it to drive storytelling forward in any meaningful sense (which was supposedly the rationale by Hawley for the death).  Yes, it was on Nolan's mind and yes, "life goes on", but I didn't get a heavy sense of sadness from the characters or that the Capt's death impacted them much at all.  It felt like it was all too tidy and easily put away.

More heavy gunfights.  I think the writers think we will be bored if they don't throw one or two into every episode.  I check a lot of reality at the door for TV but how many times are 2 cops going to go it alone against heavy gunfire without backup?  Especially after one of their own was killed previously!

Not really feeling the chemistry between NF and SS, tbh.  I think the problem for me is when there isn't much slow burn, sexual tension, and even though they are both likable characters to me, it's like bam, now they are dating and I don't feel the romance.   Also really was not keen on the anvil in the scene at the end hinting at Nolan's insecurities as a rookie dating an impressive woman.  Nolan's always appeared as a confident man who had the balls to join the police academy and become a rookie in middle age, so it doesn't make sense to me for his character to be insecure suddenly just because she dated a SEAL. And insecurity like this is never an attractive trait in a man.  They don't need to make this Nolan's.  And does Nolan have any other casual clothes than this plaid shirt?  It's not a flattering look on him either. 

Chen and West's personal storylines were kind of meh.  As was the earthquake and the new Captain shenanigans.  Not that interesting.

Michael Trucco was playing a typical MT role here, straight and narrow law enforcement.  Joel McHale had the funner role with more to do.  

• Love 3

Nolan hooking up with his captain / former captain seems dumb to me in any scenario, although she was apparently age-appropriate. The protection detail was another example of Nolan being the rookie who gets into situations a real rookie never would.

I guess every rookie becomes a badass around Bradford.

• Love 4

I missed a few episodes and apparently a bunch of plot lines. What happened to Nolan and Chen? I didn't understand the basis of the relationship (was it a rebound? 2 people in similar situations looking for companionship? unresolved issues?), and I imagine made for some awkwardness in the squadroom. 

The anger from Chen's dad was surprising. Sure, be angry at the police as an institution - don't take it out on her personally because she's doing her job. 

Edited by kazza
9 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Chief said to send a unit to his house.  I'd have sent a unit on bicycles.

He should have sent school crossing guards. Armed with the "top of the line" whistle!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, BooksRule said:

About 15 minutes into the episode, I thought that the show description was wrong, because I kept waiting for the earthquake.  Then it hit, but I wouldn't call it a 'massive' quake (although I've never experienced one, so what do I know?).

I've experienced quite a few - with all the damage and phone lines down, it at least inches into the massive. Not "the big one" -  but pretty big.

• Love 2

Ok this is just ridiculous.

We go from early in the season where Nolan is on the hot seat for shooting one person with one bullet to now where there are shootouts galore.   At this rate Nolan should end up with some severe PTSD from all the whizzing bullets coming his way.

Also I am not seeing any chemistry with Shahi.  I think the show pulled the trigger too early on getting Nolan into not just one but two relationships.  They didn't allow any sort of build up or anticipation in either one.  Boom he is already dating Lucy when the show began.  And they were not on screen compatible.  And then boom again Sarah Shahi is on for one episode and she is already his girlfriend. 

It would have been nice to see Joel McHale play someone who was not a smirky wise ass,  Also his hair was tragic.

• Love 2

About the kiling off of the captain:

There's a trope called "Woman in Refrigerator Syndrome" which describes the tendency of works of fiction to kill off a female character in order to motivate the angst of a male character. Most of the time the female character is a love interest, but she doesn't have to be. I saw no indication that the Captain and Nolan would ever be a romantic couple, it would be a terrible idea, and all the same her death is problematic because it plays into the trope.

It's not that every single instance of a woman getting killed off is bad. It's that it happens so damn often, and it happens in order to promote character development in a male character. Yes, sometimes you do have a male character die in order to promote growth in a female character, but I guarantee I can name four women for every man you can come up with. It's just tired and lazy. If they wanted to give Nolan reason to angst, they had plenty of other ways to do it. He's already had several people die in his arms. Let him deal with the trauma and guilt of that happening.

Secondly, the death of the Captain was bad from a narrative and writing perspective. This show is not nearly dark and grim enough to earn a scene in which a recurring character is violently killed on screen during a shootout with Neo Nazis. This isn't HBO.

I said in the previous episode thread that I wasn't sure I wanted to keep watching, and I've decided that I'm out. I didn't watch this episode. I just checked in on this thread to see if I was missing anything (looks like I didn't), and I just wanted to add my input on the sexism discussion.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, themadman said:

Why on earth is there a debate about killing off a female character when a relationship between a captain and a rookie would be entirely inappropriate and unprofessional? They made enough of a big deal with just Nolan and Chen dating and his TO telling him it was a bad idea. It is extremely unlikely the writers would change the setting of the show (the precinct) to accommodate a relationship between Nolan and Anderson.

I'm not annoyed that they killed the Captain because it ends a possible relationship with Nolan - I don't think they should have gone there at this point in the show, and I wasn't hoping for it.

I'm annoyed because she was a strong female character who brought a unique point of view to the show, and her death doesn't do anything to advance the narrative of the show.

• Love 4

Have we really been set up to believe the sergeant calls HQ, sings the praises of the newbie anal captain, and he gets an immediate promotion whereby he's relocated out of the precinct?  That's a bit much, doncha think.

Is all this leading up to Sara Shahi being named the new precinct commander??????

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Also really was not keen on the anvil in the scene at the end hinting at Nolan's insecurities as a rookie dating an impressive woman.  Nolan's always appeared as a confident man who had the balls to join the police academy and become a rookie in middle age, so it doesn't make sense to me for his character to be insecure suddenly just because she dated a SEAL. And insecurity like this is never an attractive trait in a man.  They don't need to make this Nolan's. 

My read on that scene wasn't so much that Nolan was insecure, but he was concerned that Shahi's character was embarrassed to be dating 'just a rookie', which is why she didn't mention that fact to her co-worker.  Nolan isn't insecure, but he doesn't want to be dating someone who is embarrassed by his status. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, chaifan said:

My read on that scene wasn't so much that Nolan was insecure, but he was concerned that Shahi's character was embarrassed to be dating 'just a rookie', which is why she didn't mention that fact to her co-worker.  Nolan isn't insecure, but he doesn't want to be dating someone who is embarrassed by his status.  

This^^ interpretation could also be seen as Nolan being insecure. Regardless, whether or not it is full-blown "insecurity," I think he was motivated to ask her about it because the protected witness (Joel McHale) pushed Nolan's button by either assuming or pretending to assume that the older officer (Nolan) was in charge.
So Nolan was wondering if his gf felt the need to hide that he was a Rookie from ADA Sean DelMonte (Michael Trucco).
I guess?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, madmaverick said:

OK episode.  My main problem with it is I didn't feel it dealt with the impact of the Captain's death in a powerful way or used it to drive storytelling forward in any meaningful sense (which was supposedly the rationale by Hawley for the death).  Yes, it was on Nolan's mind and yes, "life goes on", but I didn't get a heavy sense of sadness from the characters or that the Capt's death impacted them much at all.  It felt like it was all too tidy and easily put away.

More heavy gunfights.  I think the writers think we will be bored if they don't throw one or two into every episode.  I check a lot of reality at the door for TV but how many times are 2 cops going to go it alone against heavy gunfire without backup?  Especially after one of their own was killed previously!

Not really feeling the chemistry between NF and SS, tbh.  I think the problem for me is when there isn't much slow burn, sexual tension, and even though they are both likable characters to me, it's like bam, now they are dating and I don't feel the romance.   Also really was not keen on the anvil in the scene at the end hinting at Nolan's insecurities as a rookie dating an impressive woman.  Nolan's always appeared as a confident man who had the balls to join the police academy and become a rookie in middle age, so it doesn't make sense to me for his character to be insecure suddenly just because she dated a SEAL. And insecurity like this is never an attractive trait in a man.  They don't need to make this Nolan's.  And does Nolan have any other casual clothes than this plaid shirt?  It's not a flattering look on him either. 

Chen and West's personal storylines were kind of meh.  As was the earthquake and the new Captain shenanigans.  Not that interesting.

Michael Trucco was playing a typical MT role here, straight and narrow law enforcement.  Joel McHale had the funner role with more to do.  

Agreed - Felt like it was just thrown in there to "remember" since they were at the cemetery.   Had it not been for that, there would have been no acknowledgment.

I don't see or feel the chemistry either and yes insecurity in a man is never an attractive.  I don't like to make comparisons but when you have writers and a showrunner from Castle, sometimes, that's all they know (on how to write a character, in this case, NF).   In Castle, he started off as confident, suave, witty, charming, wise-ass and charming later in the series evolved into a buffoonish character who was insecure and dull--basically there for little more than comic relief.  It was disappointing.   Yeah, the resurgence of the plaid shirts reminds me, again, too much of later-day Castle - yep, very unflattering!  Lastly, it was like old home week with NF's buddy - Trucco (Demming from Castle) and McHale (from Santa Clarita Diet).

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 1

Didn't care for this episode but how often does the person who is being protected becomes the person who ends up almost getting killed and arrested. I kinda wondered if maybe the guy was the bad guy somehow when he hit Nolan. 

I thought it was cute that Grey had a purple band aid. 

I wonder if they will get to the part about West's mom but I bet they have forgotten that one. 

Would have been funnier if the guy's mom did rose from the grave. 

1 hour ago, cathmed said:

Agreed - Felt like it was just thrown in there to "remember" since they were at the cemetery.   Had it not been for that, there would have been no acknowledgment.

I don't see or feel the chemistry either and yes insecurity in a man is never an attractive.  I don't like to make comparisons but when you have writers and a showrunner from Castle, sometimes, that's all they know (on how to write a character, in this case, NF).   In Castle, he started off as confident, suave, witty, charming, wise-ass and charming later in the series evolved into a buffoonish character who was insecure and dull--basically there for little more than comic relief.  It was disappointing.   Yeah, the resurgence of the plaid shirts reminds me, again, too much of later-day Castle - yep, very unflattering!  Lastly, it was like old home week with NF's buddy - Trucco (Demming from Castle) and McHale (from Santa Clarita Diet).

Insecurity may not be attractive, but it's human, whatever the gender. So I am okay with it, especially since I think it can be interesting to see (hopefully) a relationship develop between two people where the woman is at this point more successful, and see how he deals with it. Given that he's been depicted as having a fair bit of emotional intelligence, I think he'd end up dealing with it maturely - which would be nice to see.

Though I watched Castle (and stopped at some point - I think when they broke them up and she was on the run? but it's a dim memory), I don't even think of it when I watch this show. I don't think of Firefly either - which is funny, because I'm rewatching it currently.

That being said, I'll pick a hypocritical nit with regards to being easy- in my experience having a headstone up so soon is unrealistic - not to mention that most cemeteries I've been to these days have transitioned to plaques on the ground - which I hate.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Not really feeling the chemistry between NF and SS, tbh.  I think the problem for me is when there isn't much slow burn, sexual tension, and even though they are both likable characters to me, it's like bam, now they are dating and I don't feel the romance.

I didn't see a lot of chemistry, but then I thought about what I thought chemistry on-screen ought to look like. My answer involved the slow burn, will-they-or-won't-they with lots of banter and teasing. It's kind of nice to see a show dispense with that and just let people date (kind of like they do in real life).

• Love 2
21 hours ago, mxc90 said:

So if they were there for a "rescue", why shoot up the house and potentially hit Hayes?

That’s what I immediately thought when it was revealed that the “hit squad” was supposed to be rescuing him.

”Let’s fire indiscriminately into this house and keep our fingers crossed that we don’t kill the guy we’re being paid to rescue.”

I thought Fillion was supposed to be 40. In this episode he said he was 45.

Edited by Accidental Martyr
  • Love 3
On 3/26/2019 at 1:35 PM, madmaverick said:

It's called hate watching and I love to hate a.few shows...most are reality TV programs.  It makes me happy to snark, at times.  😆

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought it was a simple assault case and I thought someone had to press charges in those cases.  I am probably wrong because all I know of that is what I've seen on TV.

Nathan Fillion and Joel McHale?  Even a bad episode with those two is worth my time.  Love them both.

I don't know how promotions work in a police department but I would like to see the sargent take the captian's job.  His speech after the earthquake seemed to point to him being the best man for the job.  Then Bradford could take the Sargent's exam and be shift leader.  Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, in real life.

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

That’s what I immediately thought when it was revealed that the “hit squad” was supposed to be rescuing him.

”Let’s fire indiscriminately into this house and keep our fingers crossed that we don’t kill the guy we’re being paid to rescue.”

The writers must have been in the earthquake too and had their senses rattled for a bit. It's too early for them to reveal Hayes as the real bad guy so let 's shoot up the house. Poor execution.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2

Sarah shahi does seem to gel with Sgt grey better but what can you do... I enjoyed Chen and west this week and I liked the little I got of bishop... I actually don't like what grey did with the captain.. Sure the ppl in the precinct know he saved the day.. But the brass is gonna give that inept guy more power now.. So he can still bring his nonsense back into more precincts... Its like Chen was saying.. System won't change without good ppl inside in a position to change it.. Bigging up this captain.. So he can get outta your stations hair means he's advancing and the ppl with power will think his way works

On the topic of the captain being killed...I liked her and didn’t expect her to be killed off, but am I possibly the only person watching and not attributing her death to a BTS political move or sexism or whatever? I’d be way more upset if they killed off Bishop or Lopez. I view both of them as strong, independent women who carry more weight story-wise then RIP Anderson.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That being said, I'll pick a hypocritical nit with regards to being easy- in my experience having a headstone up so soon is unrealistic - not to mention that most cemeteries I've been to these days have transitioned to plaques on the ground - which I hate.

Gave me Buffy flashbacks. Although, at least in Sunnydale, headstones had to have been a huge business which required an assembly line to keep up w/ demand. 

2 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I thought it was a simple assault case and I thought someone had to press charges in those cases.

Different jurisdictions can have different laws on that. I don't know what California penal and criminal procedure laws require (or if it's covered by local LA ordinance). 

Heading to the beach right after an earthquake -  without knowing if there is a tsunami warning because  all communication lines are down - might not have been the smartest move, although it turned out okay in this instance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

in my experience having a headstone up so soon is unrealistic - not to mention that most cemeteries I've been to these days have transitioned to plaques on the ground

Now that you mention it, I wonder if cremations are more common these days, but if TV deaths in general tend to have more burials because of the opportunity to show grieving friends, family, fellow officers, etc.
But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that well known, and especially admired public figures tend to be buried at higher rates than the general public—and not just because of expense, but primarily so the public will have a place to mourn.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

There can be drama in a cremation.
Hold the usual service, a curtain pulls back, the door opens to a fiery furnace, the coffin slides in...

There are so many missed opportunities when writers just do the usual.
Like the first time I ever saw a Protestant communion service was in a Sally Fields movie about cotton farming. (It's the only thing I remember about the movie.) In Hollywood, all churches are either Catholic or Black.  And all nuns wear wimples and long gowns, while most of the nuns I know wear tunics and pants like every other middle-aged woman.

Or the snowy car chase in Fargo, that looked like the Millenium Falcon hitting hyperspace.

Tropes in The Rookie?

Sergeant Grey's wife is encouraging him to retire. From what appears to be basically an office job at this point.

The 20 year gap in a couple's ages.

No lead character is happily married. (OK- Grey is, but none of the TO's.)