Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Lasting Impressions

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 3/24/2019 at 4:43 PM, The Kings Foot said:

However try finding a betamax, VHS or laser disc player right now. The laptop i bought last month doesn't even have a cd /DVD drive. We could wind up with storage devices we can't read. 

Neither does mine but that’s for weight. I still have a cd drive. Then again I’m an audiophile and still get CDs (they are still sold at broadway shows for example) because they are not compressed.

i think the bizarre knowledge of 20th and 21st century pop culture is something we just have to hand wave away because- it’s just too funny. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

i think the bizarre knowledge of 20th and 21st century pop culture is something we just have to hand wave away because- it’s just too funny. 

There are some things about this show that you do have to hand wave. Maybe become I am nitpicking adverse I didn’t even really notice that the show was so focused on the 20th century until so many people complained about it.   I see it as just part of the shows universe.  Yes they can make stuff up like Star Trek did but honestly it is far more fun especially for a show with a Depp comedy root to deal with real history instead of made up history. 

• Love 2

Haven't read the comments yet, but I really loved this episode. Doesn't hurt that I also really like Leighton Meester. I never watched Gossip Girl, but seeing her work on Single Parents (LOVE) has made me a fan, so this was a treat.

I thought Laura was sweet and adorable and I can completely understand why Gordon would fall for her. I like that the simulation ended the relationship "organically", without any interference from the crew. Glad that Greg didn't seem like a total douche (and keeping in mind that we were only hearing Laura's side of the story regarding their breakup). I love that Laura and Gordon were able to have their duet at the end, and he was able to say goodbye.

The Bordus/Klyden smoking plot was hilarious. This was the first time that I thoroughly enjoyed them as a couple. Bonding over a common vice, who can't relate to that? 😛

And finally, sad that I only have three more episodes of the show to enjoy before I'm all caught up! 😕

• Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, Gothish520 said:

Finally, sad that I only have three more episodes of the show to enjoy before I'm all caught up! 😕

At least there will be a Season 3. 🙂

• Love 1

Commenting from the future. But I feel like this episode has a slightly different take on the whole falling in love with a hologram. It is a cross between the TNG episode where Gordi falls for the scientist and the Voy episode where Janeway falls for a hologram (especially the "delete the wife" part). But it actually different because in Janeway's it was just a computer program so it wasn't ever a real person. Gordi's is the most creepy as she is not only a real person but still alive and he manipulates the program. In Laura's case she willing gave her phone to the time capsule hoping that someone would find it. She even says feel free to look at my pictures and messages. Gordon honestly just took the info from the phone an created a program. He didn't plan on falling for her and didn't look up anything about the real one, which is less creepy than what Gordi did.  Of course he had to know that regardless of what he does the phone will run out of data when she puts in the the time capsule. It was actually interesting that the boyfriend was a huge part of who she was (which makes sense they were together for 9 years). It led to a good scene with Kelly and Gordan about how past relationships impact who you are. 

One thing I thought would have been cool what if at the end when Gordon took a picture with her, Tuvok had the picture on the real phone. It would have been a twilight zone of kind of ending. But as other's pointed out this wouldn't have made sense as it was a hole-version not the real thing.

• Love 1

Is it weird that I kind of wanted to see how things would have gone if Gordon had told her that she was a simulation? I mean, the main problem that made her not-a-real-person in the eyes of the crew was that she wasn’t self-aware, so what would have happened if that had changed? She was already unknowingly a self-coding AI, which was ESPECIALLY proven when he tampered with her memories and she completely adjusted her personality to compensate. Without glitches! That’s a level of sophistication that we’ve only seen once; with Isaac. Not even Sophia has that ability, and she’s a recognized citizen of Saudi Arabia!

So, if he had told her, would that have changed things? Would she basically have become a living antivirus with an existential crisis? She certainly has the processing power for it, and I was really disappointed that they didn’t explore that direction. She would have made for an AMAZING recurring character, reacting in a similar way to the audience when weird alien crap goes down, giving us some glorious callbacks to those snarky 90’s hackers (though this time with some AWESOME cgi scenes from inside the code), and posing all kinds of deep questions about the nature of humanity, legacy, death, rebirth, isolation from reality, and what makes a person truly real.

Would she have been anything like the real Laura? Not likely, or at least not for long. But that doesn’t matter; What matters is that she would be herself—a person. A thinking, feeling person. And that’s enough. It’s always enough.

It would take her quite some time to realize this for herself, and I can’t really imagine any way where she wouldn’t end up having depression, anxiety, depersonalization, and a side of panic attacks. But if we know anything about this show, it’s that her new family on the Orville would be there to help her in any way she needed.

• Useful 1