Type keyword(s) to search

My Haunted House - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Here's a place to talk about the show generally. This is not a catch all topic, look for other topics like episode topics etc. and feel free to start your own! 

This show is no, "Paranormal Witness" but it's not off the charts on the cheese factor and it gave me the willies a time or two; So I guess I'll stick with it for now. It wasn't great; but it wasn't unwatchable imo.

• Love 1

ok that was just terrible! vow of silence wasn't too awful but cryptic?? WHO buys a house and doesn't even care what violent crime occurred in it? stooopit!

i think i remember this show now, i recall we came to the conclusion that these were not "true accounts" but fictional ghost stories with actors narrating to make it seem more authentic and like the other shows. and if these are based on true accounts, they are LOOSELY based.

i miss paranormal witness. sad face.

• Love 1
(edited)

ok that was just terrible! vow of silence wasn't too awful but cryptic?? WHO buys a house and doesn't even care what violent crime occurred in it? stooopit!

i think i remember this show now, i recall we came to the conclusion that these were not "true accounts" but fictional ghost stories with actors narrating to make it seem more authentic and like the other shows. and if these are based on true accounts, they are LOOSELY based.

i miss paranormal witness. sad face.

Yes, THIS.

I couldn't believe the dude didn't even ASK what happened when the realtor was all but saying, "You really need to know." I can see asking and then thinking about it and trying to come to grips with it, but just not asking period?... yikes.

this made me miss Paranormal Witness too, Bees.

Hey, Bees on a side note, where are all our ghost nerds? There were plenty of us and the threads were sort of busy and fun. Where is everyone? *sad face*

Edited by ari333
(edited)

I didn't know that MHH was not "based on" true stories until fellow ghost nerd, MsBees, mentioned it. Bummer. I like to al least pretend to think it's possibly sorta kinda true or based on true, or "inspired by" true - or however they sugarcoat it. :)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
(edited)

ok this last week's episodes "sleepwalkers, pest house" SCARED THE CRAP out of me!! that pest mask that was worn during outbreaks is just freaking WRONG on so many levels!! with the beak face!? WTF was that??? 

i need to look up the historical facts behind pest houses now, i'm totally intrigued!

OMFG its REAL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor_costume

i am totally going to be a pest doctor for halloween now... its terrifying!!

Edited by msbeesknees

Oh my gosh, I just stumbled across this show while channel-surfing and I can't turn it off now. It's the "Church and Skin Book" episode, where a couple moves into a house and both keep having visions about missing limbs, ghostly figures, etc. I may have found a new guilty pleasure.

i'm all caught up since i marathoned them all in one weekend. CHURCH & SKIN BOOK were both effectively creepy and skin book was just icky. 

i haven't been scared like that in a while, great editing and acting.

oh before i forget I WAS POSSESSED airs right after this show (i think?) anyway, y'all may want to check it out. i'm convinced its all mass hysteria and suggestive-induced quakery but hey, its fun to watch.

oh! and like 6 episodes of PARANORMAL SURVIVOR are now up on youtube, so watch em all for free. 

• Love 1

Hiya, so I just watched Room 7 and the "footage" at the end isn't real but meant to look real, if that makes any sense? This whole show is just ghost stories narrated by actors. I know it says its based on true events but I think the producers are just taking a page from the "found footage" type horror movies and using it to add another scary element to the story. It was still spooky, and I love these stories but yeah, none are real and the "witnesses" are actors.I'd bet the farm on it.

• Love 1

I don't know. They're never shown actual footage before even though many stories claim they have film, photos, or recordings. Even the next story about the sorority house supposedly had security tape of the girl attempting to hang herself, but not one bit of the real tape is shown. The audience don't expect things like that on the show. So why go through the trouble to fake this one? Isn't it also fraud which can be fined my making such a claim?

Interesting discussion.

Well, making claims are also part of the "found footage genre" of horror, that's what makes it so freaky. For example, remember when Blair Witch Project came out and they had a website that was all "based on true events!!!!" and it seemed like a completely real documentary and people were freaking out? And then it was found out that is was in fact all fake but ground-breaking because it tricked so many people and seemed so real. Anyway, you totally could be right about the "found footage" clip at the end of the show but I'm guessing with this genre being so popular nowadays and youtube being flooded with "found footage" its probably not. Either way, it got me to jump and that's why I love these damn shows!!

Edited by msbeesknees

I didn't know that MHH was not "based on" true stories until fellow ghost nerd, MsBees, mentioned it. Bummer. I like to al least pretend to think it's possibly sorta kinda true or based on true, or "inspired by" true - or however they sugarcoat it. :)

• Love 1

This is my first post as I felt I had to join after seeing your post,

Me and my gf love all things ghosts, as far as TV and movies. And I felt the same Ari, I like to at least convince myself that it's based on true events. But after seeing some bad acting episodes I had to look up if it's based on true events or not. But I wish I hadn't, But I'll still watch it as I love all ghost stories, and look forward to chatting with some fellow ghost (TV show) hunters.

Edited by 4ntimatter
  • Love 1

welcome to the forum 4ntimatter! yeah we're all a bunch of ghost nerds in here, there used to be a lot more over at TWoP but slowly we migrated here. make sure to check out the show "Paranormal Survivor" too. i'm pretty sure all the episodes are up on youtube and they are actually based on witnesses who are also the ones who retell their stories on the show. 

new episode on tonight everyone! Dream House & Ghost Month (NEW)  Season 3, Episode 15

A woman's recurring nightmare comes to life in her new house; a single mother fears for her son's life after moving into a new house.

• Love 1

Hey MsBeesKnees what a coincidence me and Rose(gf) just started watching it the other day we're only on episode 3 tonight. Little silly story about us: we both loved anything spooky and growing up in Dublin Ireland and all the old ghost tales. We were both only like 13 years old I was crazy about her there we were in a (lovers) lane facing the mountains. I told her that I had saw the banshee in the very field we were facing. So after the tall tail I told her about being chased by a screeching floating lady. I convinced her to walk up the field, all though I was scared even though the story was nonsense, she was linking me so tight I was chuffed with myself but we got scared and ended up running home. So 35 years old now and we still have a huge bond and we both still love ghostly tales more than ever. Sorry about the giant post.

• Love 1

AWW! i love that story! nothing quite like scaring the crap out of one another to get a romance blossoming! i think that's why so many first dates occur at horror movies, ha! brilliant.

so you are in dublin? I've visited once and fell in love with that city. i think we even took a ghost tour while we visited, i believe it was a double-decker bus with black curtains and such. we has a great time and got to ghost hunt amongst the graveyards, what a hoot. we don't have anything like your graveyards here in California. our cemeteries are boooooring. 

Some of these shows are fantastic. I mostly watch listening and playing a game on my computer because they really do scare the bejesus out of me.  I guess my one complaint is when costume/make-up people are recreating the dead, the make-up really looks like a B-movie.

The big teeth the bad guy wore when the gal who lived in the house had the car lights shine in her window every night at 1am; the new trailer shows a woman in bed trying to wake her husband and when he turns over, it looks like he went to sleep with a brown mud mask on his face (what is that-?) and lastly the episode where a woman thought someone was in the house (her husband was a truck driver who was gone a lot) and she yelled out honey is that you? She goes out in the hallway and it turns around (it was facing away from her) and it was clearly a Halloween mask of a demon or the devil.

On a brighter note, I think my favorite episode was the home nurse.  That was the first episode I ever saw and it really stays with you!

Edited by caligirl50
  • Love 1

Sorry, I didn't see this thread so posted my favorite episode on another one.  

I don't have a favorite scene but the home nurse episode was definitely my favorite so far. 

This show is scary so some I half watch.

Life is scarier than fiction!!!!!

• Love 1

WOW. THe Hanover Haunting (Dec 3, 2015)  eppy really scared me. MAybe I'm a big wuss, but it was scary for me. The intro sucked me in and it got creepier as it went on.

The husband saw the front door shake and knock and said "What the hell?" and the whispery disembodied voice repeated WHAT THE HELL and made me jump :)

Where is everybody?

THis show popped up on the DVR. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it was a new eppy.

Also creepy was the neighbor "lady." (Was she a live human? I was unsure of that.) And she had the obligatory Maine-ish accent.... reminiscent of creepy characters on Murder She Wrote [/old] Altho I dont' know what state this story was supposed to be set in.

I hated how the husband rolled his eyes and blew off the wife's real fears and literally walked out of the room when she was so freaked out. .... OH, until it happened to him, then the whole attitude changed. Got it. Check.

I didn't quite get the significance of the angel on the headstone in the cemetery, but maybe I missed something. How is a cemetery a "perfect place" for a picnic?

Or that was just a dream?

How do ghosts get in your dreams? IS that a thing? Really?

Edited by ari333

HAAAA!! i was just coming over here to say that if you move into a home and then have an "old vague cryptic neighbor lady" ask you if you knew about what happened in your basement PUNCH HER IN THE FACE until she tells you.

also the husband's blatant disregard to his wife's fears seriously enraged me. even after shit happened to him, he was still useless. and who else thought "of course the camera film will be erased" when the news crew caught the apparition on video? and yep, it was. how surprising. anyway, they apparently still live in their haunted house and i hope they get some actual help from this show.

• Love 2

I finallly just got to watch the Hanover Haunting episode today.  Yes, it was creepy, but this show confuses me.  Are these ghost stories from real people, like that lady Deanna that they were interviewing in August 2015, was that a real person telling a story or an actress?  What is confusing me is the words at the beginning of the show that say "inspired by real paranormal documentation" or something like that.  So is this 100% fiction or is Deanna a real person who lives in Hanover and can't sell her house now?  Either way, it was a good story, I just think it would be funny that the show has to hire two sets of actors to play one role.  I guess I could Google this...I just wondered if anyone knew.

hi notyrmomma, i actually addressed this in another thread about this show, i have no idea why the admin made another general thread for this show. anyway, i copied it and will paste it here. But in short, yes, they used two actors, one to play the "actual witness" and another to play an "actor playing the witness in the reenactments". hahahaa. ugh.

(It) isn't real but meant to look real, if that makes any sense? This whole show is just ghost stories narrated by actors. I know it says its based on true events but I think the producers are just taking a page from the "found footage" type horror movies and using it to add another scary element to the story. It's still spooky, and I love these stories but yeah, none are real and the "witnesses" are actors. I'd bet the farm on it.

Edited by msbeesknees
  • Love 1

This show is completely fake, but pretty entertaining. I saw one recently with the writer staying in the remote cabin (nothing bad ever happens in those, amirite?) and among other things, wandered outside at night to see a deer frozen solid in July. I hate when that happens.

I'll be checking out some other eps to see if they are as cheesy. But still fun to watch.