Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E02: The Future Is Here

• Start Topic

I do not enjoy challenges where the starting point is an uneven playing field.  I felt the chest feathers were the most substantial factor of all of the modifications to design around.  I don't have a problem with Frankie going home as I felt her work earned her the boot, but I do think you have to start everyone from a level start to be fair.

I also found the modifications creepy.  

• Love 1

The chest feathers group had no idea how to showcase them.  I'm surprised no one did a portrait collar dress, jacket or blouse because it seems like that would have been a perfect style.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8

I didn’t find the “modifications” creepy or disturbing because they’re not actually body modifications. They’re just prosthetics in an art exhibit. It reminded me of the makeup prosthetic show Face/Off. If anyone was trying to date when this season was filmed, this exhibit ran in September 2018.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I didn’t find the “modifications” creepy or disturbing because they’re not actually body modifications. They’re just prosthetics in an art exhibit. It reminded me of the makeup prosthetic show Face/Off. If anyone was trying to date when this season was filmed, this exhibit ran in September 2018.

It was my impression that the prosthetics were SIMULATING "actual" body modifications that the artist dreamed up for his future world. So, yes, they were removable, but we were supposed to pretend that they were not.

• Love 5
On 3/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, NYGirl said:

I'm with the Designer Judge...I'm going to need to be medicated this season....so much drama...so much crying...so much bitchiness and entitlement.  What have they done to my show?

I was so happy Frankie went instead of Kovid.  I felt so sorry for him, especially when Nina told him not to cry on the runway.  Frankie had everybody helping her sew her outfit last week and she couldn't spare a minute to help her teammate.  Goodbye Frankie!!  You've made this season watchable for me now.

At the beginning Tessa annoyed me to no end.  Plus she was teamed with 2 very good designers but they were too polite to be rude to her and not listen to her orders.  The three outfits were beautifully made.

OMG Hester needs to go now... She was so entitled with that tulle.  I felt so sorry for her teammate.

Frankie used her sympathy card last week.  Two weeks in a row and she's gone.  Kovid used his card this week.  If he's on the bottom again next week, he should be shown the door, too.

• Love 2

I finally got to see this episode. For the most part I enjoyed it, and the winning team's designs were lovely. I'm glad Sebastian won. But I just had to comment on this...

On 3/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, NYGirl said:

OMG Hester needs to go now... She was so entitled with that tulle.  I felt so sorry for her teammate.

So much this. There's a good, entertaining villain - Wendy Pepper anyone? - and then there's just clueless. How Hester can not know that she's a total jerk is beyond me. And sometimes I can even appreciate a bit of a jerk - I enjoyed Orange Josh, for example - but Hester just seems oblivious, which just makes her a bit annoying for me.

And her obliviousness included that tulle.

I think there should be a test to get on this show. A bunch of different fabrics would be put out and the designers would have to choose... Unless the challenge calls for a costume of some sort, anyone who chooses tulle or brocade should automatically be out. Sequin material is also fairly suspect. Unless you're Kayne of Many Colors (questionable color choices and fabrics were sort of his thing and somehow he made it work) or Robert Best (who was robbed and went home too early) working with Kayne, it's likely a questionable choice. Satin - you better know what you're doing. Not everyone can make a mud puddle dress (and that may have been a stretch or semi-stretchy satin.) and if you don't - out!

There are too many kinds of fabric available to go for tulle. And if you insist, you certainly shouldn't need all of the tulle. (Says the woman who can't pass up a yarn sale and who already has more yarn than she'll ever use in her lifetime. It's a sickness 😉 )

• LOL 4
On 3/25/2019 at 9:29 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

Recent local article about Hester.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1290690/santa-fe-designer-to-compete-on-project-runway.html

I like the outfit she is wearing, minus the thigh high socks. It would have been less sexpot-ish(?) without them but the outfit would work with a full stocking or legging, black or colored. I just have issues with women wearing thigh high socks in a professional setting, that's just me. The article gives some insight into her education and experience. 

Thigh high socks take it away from quirky fun to kinderhooker.

The body mods were creepy, but I can think of a dozen ways to high light chest feathers. I'm surprised no one used any makeup on them, such as outlining them with bronzer or ever something to simulate fairy dust. The shoulder horns seemed to be screaming for a cape attached to them, but would leave them exposed, changing the body silhouette. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Thigh high socks take it away from quirky fun to kinderhooker.

Hee!

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

The body mods were creepy, but I can think of a dozen ways to high light chest feathers. I'm surprised no one used any makeup on them, such as outlining them with bronzer or ever something to simulate fairy dust.

And the necklines on the designs didn't highlight them either. I'm not a clothing designer or even someone who sews, but there must have been a way for the necklines to subtly oscillate and follow the feather motif. Or maybe even a feather-like cutout down below on the sternum and creeping into the neckline, so it would look like the feathers were springing from or echoing that. Or would that have been too much? Probably, but at least it would have been something rather than "here's a boring design that could have been inspired by something entirely different than what this challenge actually was."

And I think that was my main problem with the bottom groups' designs. They not only didn't highlight or compliment the body modification, they didn't really seem to be inspired by them either. That's what I liked about the winning design. I could see how the scalloped form of the dress somewhat echoed the body modification.

• Love 4
On 3/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

Recent local article about Hester.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1290690/santa-fe-designer-to-compete-on-project-runway.html

I like the outfit she is wearing, minus the thigh high socks. It would have been less sexpot-ish(?) without them but the outfit would work with a full stocking or legging, black or colored. I just have issues with women wearing thigh high socks in a professional setting, that's just me. The article gives some insight into her education and experience. 

Thanks for posting this. When she describes her designs as having a punk rock edge, though, all I can ask is "where?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, carrps said:

Thanks for posting this. When she describes her designs as having a punk rock edge, though, all I can ask is "where?"

(Hester) yeah to me she's dressed like a too-cute toddler. That ridiculous short overalls outfit with the huge daisy on the chest? Like, seriously?

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, Phebemarie said:

I respectfully disagree:  Luna's unique style was never an affectation to gain attention.  

the Luna comparison is solid in the sense it highlights what is annoying about Hester. Luna was authentic; it's what made her lovable. She came across as quirky but just herself. Hester comes across as the opposite. Maybe she is being her authentic self and we can't tell, but so far it looks fake.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, carrps said:

This made me laugh.  She has no idea what she is talking about.  When I was in high school in the 80s, my friends and I went through a "punk" phase. We had absolutely no idea what that even meant, and bought our outfits from the mall at Contempo Casuals and shoes from The Wild Pair.  I'm happy to have the old photos, I looked like a cartoon.

A few years ago, we had a trick-or-treater and I thought she was dressed as Rainbow Brite.  She didn't know who that was, and snottily said, "No!  I'm a PUNK!"  At least her attitude fit.

Re: the above posts about thigh-highs, I think the last person who sucessfully wore those was Alicia Silverstone.  Although I am old now, and have a nice thick Fairlise knit pair, and I wear them over my jeans to keep warm in winter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3