Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Aaron's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Reminder: Please do not discuss politics via topic of disability/Medicare & "stealing from the public". Only address issues related to people on the show, not everyone in a given group.  Let's veer away from assumptions that head us down that slope.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Great points SunnyBeBe. It is indeed very stressful. I know because did it. I wonder in the case of Aaron if caring for his dad actually helped him to gain the courage to clear the air between them? Maybe seeing how sick and frail he was up close and personal made him realize that he wanted to have the best, loving relationship he could since his father may not have many years left?

Since I like to poke fun at her on a regular basis, I must give major props to the therapist Lola for her advice. Aaron really did need to have that very uncomfortable conversation with his dad. All that pain was literally weighing him down. Whenever his dad passes, he won't have the burden of not resolving their relationship or a lifetime of "what ifs."

And, hey, I really like that hairstyle on her, wig, weave, or not!😊

I like Lola.  She has a soothing way about her, and her hair looks good.  I really wish Aaron the best.  It's not easy growing up with a hard-ass dad.  It was nice that Aaron got some positive reinforcement from his father at last.  They have learned to appreciate one another, and that's great.  

Dr. Now is definitely calling patients out on their shit, more & more.  Speaking for myself, I have a much lower tolerance for bullshit, since I'm now a seasoned citizen.  My mother was the same way.  One of the perks of getting old 🙂

• Love 15
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

If there is another sister, which is the one who told him he'd never have a girlfriend?

3 hours ago, newyawk said:

I believe the sister that helps him out now is the same sister. I don't think he has another one. Their relationship just got better as they grew up.

Near the beginning of the episode he says "I have/had two older sisters and a very strict upbringing."  A picture of him in the foreground pops up, and there are 2 girls standing behind him.    I think Margaret was the one that said that as she admitted to not always being nice to him.   Another picture pops up with the entire fam.  The two parents are seated, and to the left is a woman with her son (I guess it's her son) and standing on the right is Aaron with Margaret whose children are scattered in the front.  It was taken when the niece was a baby.  At first I wondered who the man was that was sitting next to the father until I realized it was his mother.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I would suspect that the father called Aaron because he didn't want to leave his wife while she was in distress.  She had an embolism.  Regardless of Aaron's weight, other than calling the ambulance there was nothing he could do. 

The show downplayed the abuse.  Early in the episode Aaron said his father beat him. There does seem to have been physical abuse in his childhood.  Aaron also stated he often didn't know why he was being punished and he was punished more harshly than his sisters.  His father then had a talking head in which he acknowledged he was tough on Aaron.  I recall he mentioned being physical but I'm not 100% sure. 

In the discussion between Aaron and his father near the end of the show, dad was fine with saying that he was proud of Aaron.  Once the discussion moved toward the actual abuse dad shut it down.  He did not deny it; he ran away.  To my mind Aaron's father did not want to talk about the physical abuse on camera because he did not want to have to admit to hitting his son.  He never actually addressed the issue. 

Aaron handled this very difficult conversation well.  He also ultimately let his father get away with not fully dealing with the issue. There is a point where you get what you are going to get.  Pushing him further was not going to end well.  At the same time, had Aaron pushed harder we may have seen the dark side of his father. 

I doubt giving his father another heart-attack would do much for Aaron's weight loss progress,physical abuse is not the same punishing a child.. although far too many don't know the difference ..The entire family had a weight problem not just Aaron.

Edited by AVM
spelling
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Concerned said:

Got a slight Chay vibe from Aaron. We never did find out why his father punished him, although the dad said he should have accepted him the way he was. The sister told him he would never have a girlfriend. Kids teased him. Plus the complete lack of facial hair and round body might suggest low testosterone.

My thought too.  And I think being unable to "come out" earlier in his life might have contributed to his eating habit.  Lots of ignorant parents, especially fathers, believe they can "beat the queer out" of their gay sons, and I suspect that's what Aaron was alluding to when he said his father punished him more severely than the other children.

If this is the case (and I feel pretty sure it is), it's too bad that Aaron and his dad were not able to discuss Aaron's sexuality and try to come to an understanding.  His father apologized, but he sure didn't want to go into specifics ("that's all in the past"), and poor Aaron was not brave or strong enough to insist on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It was my impression that the unhealthy part of the relationship could go either way.  It could be the abused adult child now holding resentment and still reliving that abuse as they are under stress to provide care for a disabled person day after day.

This is a good point. I've wondered why Aaron would make a lunch for his father of peanut butter and banana sandwich with side of grapes and glass of what appeared to be orange juice. He certainly knew that was a terrible meal for his father, whose complications of diabetes included a recent heart attack. Maybe a bit passive-agressive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Concerned said:

Got a slight Chay vibe from Aaron. We never did find out why his father punished him, although the dad said he should have accepted him the way he was. The sister told him he would never have a girlfriend. Kids teased him. Plus the complete lack of facial hair and round body might suggest low testosterone.

Yes, agree with this. I got a bit of a Chay vibe and also a bit of a Joe Wexler vibe. But I like Aaron more than both of them combined. 😊

• Love 2
5 hours ago, newyawk said:

I believe the sister that helps him out now is the same sister. I don't think he has another one. Their relationship just got better as they grew up.

The one who picked on him in childhood is the one who helps him now -- Margaret. But there is a second sister, who did not appear and was not really spoken of. If one looks up Aaron's Facebook page, there are posts from her there.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Too tired to chime in on livethread, but wanted to say how my cold  cold heart melted when Aaron was approved for surgery and his sister squealed and hugged him.

That was the most joy I remember being expressed since the twins Brandi and Kandi!

10 hours ago, ProTourist said:
  • Aaron's father lost a lot of weight some time before the episode began, and is no longer obese. He is 75 years old, frail, diabetic, and a Vietnam veteran. He suffered a heart attack, a complication of his diabetes, a week after Aaron's first appointment with Dr. Now. He recovered and was able to return home after a few weeks in hospital, during which time Aaron was unable to visit him

I wanted to know more about how his father lost the weight.  

9 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Since I like to poke fun at her on a regular basis, I must give major props to the therapist Lola for her advice. Aaron really did need to have that very uncomfortable conversation with his dad. 

Yes, the talk needed to be had, but no props to Lola because based on what Aaron said, she obviously did not prepare him AT ALL for what to expect in terms of possible results and how to handle it.  And given the potential landmines and explosiveness that could arise from such conversations, lots of careful planning about how to handle the whole thing, and reactions, and resulting feelings, would seem to be a must beforehand.  It doesn't seem like she's done that in any of the cases we've seen. 

6 hours ago, newyawk said:

I was really surprised that Aaron was trying to train himself at the gym. Kudos to him for trying, but I think it is really important for someone inexperienced and as out of shape as him to get some personal training, at least for a few weeks, to get him on the right track and teach him properly, including proper form and how to safely up your resistance over time. 

Yes, I found that very odd and ill-advised.

Edited by LuvMyShows
more to add about Lola
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

200 lbs at age 8? Is that a record? Hot damn, how is that humanly possible?!

I wasn't a "skinny kid" but I wasn't overweight until I hit about 9 years old, and I piled it on FAST– I was 160lb by age 11. No trauma– I just always liked food, preferred reading to sports and puberty hit me like a ton of bricks. Looking back at photos from then it astonishes me that I got that bad that young, and no one ever said anything.

My parents were not uneducated– they had advanced degrees, had lived around the world, and raised their kids on NPR and PBS. In short, late-80s Bay Area "let's send the kids to Montessori and join a men's choir" insufferable. But, diet and nutrition was just not something on my family's radar. Food didn't play a huge role in our family (Mom hated to cook and Dad would happily live on steak, potatoes and chardonnay for the rest of his life), but all our portions were enormous and it was important we all sat down at dinner and cleared our plates because that's just what you did.

I knew I was a fat kid early on (I remember there being two other kids in my new 4th grade class larger than me and thinking, "oh, thank God"), and I'm sure my mother knew I was gaining weight since when she dieted, which she often did, everyone dieted. However, nothing was said or done, directly to me, ever. And, I kind of wish it had been addressed as I was being teased about my incredible dumpiness in Jr. High and I KNEW something was wrong, I knew I was out of breath and everything chafed and I couldn't remotely keep up with my classmates in gym. I just had no idea how to fix it and again, it just wasn't something my family addressed other than Mom following Susan Powter for two weeks.

So in answer to your question: I don't know how it happens, other than it does. And Lord, it sucked. It still sucks even at 33, because I still have those habits I developed at a young age and they feel like instinct I have to fight at times. I feel sympathy for these "fat kids" because that was me. What I don't feel sympathy for is still using that as your reasoning to continue this well into adulthood. At some point you have to take control. I'm still trying. I just wish I'd started sooner.

~ZZ

Edited by ZeldaZee
  • Useful 4
  • Love 12

Most gyms have at least one session with a trainer for beginners, and they make a plan for you so you get healthy, but don't get hurt doing it.      

Around here, most of the gyms have at least one free session with a personal trainer, but even the couple that don't usually have someone who is a regular, and very experienced with weights and working out, that will give gentle hints if they're wanted.     When they showed Aaron doing the gym session, I was really hoping he wasn't going to hurt himself, and then quit the gym.    You would think that a gym that is going to be on TV, would help the customer with some form hints.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes, the talk needed to be had, but no props to Lola because based on what Aaron said, she obviously did not prepare him AT ALL for what to expect in terms of possible results and how to handle it.  And given the potential landmines and explosiveness that could arise from such conversations, lots of careful planning about how to handle the whole thing, and reactions, and resulting feelings, would seem to be a must beforehand.  It doesn't seem like she's done that in any of the cases we've seen. 

Yes, I found that very odd and ill-advised.

Hmmm, you know, you're right. I think I had set the bar too low; Lola could have given him a lot more guidance to prepare Aaron mentally and give him tools of how to handle the situation depending on how his father would react. I suppose Aaron could have asked Lola point blank "how do I respond if my father says/does this/that/etc." It's understandable if those questions would not have occurred to Aaron, since he may not have thought about it before, and was so anxious about the prospect of this talk. Regarding Lola's often-made suggestion, I guess it's like the old saying: Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 😉

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Most gyms have at least one session with a trainer for beginners, and they make a plan for you so you get healthy, but don't get hurt doing it.      

The only trainer I've had was at a high-end NYC gym and he ended up being my weed dealer, lol. I told him he had a great circular business model, get your clients to have the munchies and show them how to burn it off.

~ZZ

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

I wonder if the father thought the mother was spoiling the son, so he was extra hard on him. 

There were two situations with my extended family when I was growing up, both mothers had more than one daughter, but when the son was born they had him as a favorite, and everyone catered to the boys, and did everything for them for way too many years.     Both boys were overweight, when others in the family weren't.   Both boys had all kinds of issues relating to other kids, because they simply were little kids, not the same age as their peers emotionally, and developmentally.     

Lots of parents whacked with a belt, and some still do, because it's how they were raised.     I personally think the strapping is a great way to have your kids fear, and hate you, but some think they're doing the right thing.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Okay, I've got to eat a few of my words. And, not with a side of friiiied rice. Or grapes.

The other night during the Live Chat for this episode I ranted about my irritation with these voiceovers where the poundticipants say "I've been working so hard." 

On further reflection - and after some sleep - I'm sorry I was so harsh. 

It is hard as hell - real work, if you like - to change your eating habits even if they aren't so disordered that you weigh more than the average US residential refrigerator and kitchen stove, combined. If you are up in the 600's or above, it's got to be a monumental undertaking.

Of course, we do hear that "I'm working so hard" VO in this show, very often, just before the patient returns to Dr. Now's office for a follow up weigh in and has either lost very little weight or even gained some. So, there's that. 

Aaron's episode was a great palate cleanser after Jeanne's sh*tshow last week, and I give him props for working at losing weight and getting healthy. 

BTW, @LuvMyShows raised the question of how Aaron's dad lost weight. We know he has diabetes - probably Type 2 but I don't think they specified - which may be poorly controlled. Weight loss is a symptom of uncontrolled diabetes. If he was morbidly obese he may have had Type 2 diabetes which went undiagnosed until he had unexplained weight loss and/or other symptoms. Of course, I'm not a doctor and we don't know the details of his diabetes, so this is speculation. 

• Love 7

On re-watching, I am more convinced than ever that Aaron's dad's problem with Aaron was that he was effeminate--in their talk, Aaron says he always thought his father "resented" (wrong word, I think; maybe "despised" was too harsh) him because he was not "manly"--as a child?!

When he's talking to Lola, he says he can't understand why he worries about telling his father some secret when he's a grown man.  Aaron refers several times to being afraid to tell his father something, although he's a grownup now.  The fact that the father clearly does not want to discuss this in any detail indicates it's something the father is very uncomfortable with.  I really do believe the root of Aaron's problems is that he is gay in an unaccepting family and world.  It would explain why he was brutalized at school and why his sister told him he would never know what it's like to kiss a woman--which Aaron says hurt him most of all.

I hope he gets slim--he's already handsome--and moves his hot boyfriend into that trailer with his dad.

And I was inexplicably touched that when he served his niece and nephews their canned ravioli, he put the girl's serving in a pink bowl and the boys' in blue bowls.

ETA:  in the light of seeing Aaron as a closeted gay man, I think the fact that he is so vehement about not asking his father to help him in the bathroom takes on a whole other dimension.

Edited by Mothra
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, Mothra said:

On re-watching, I am more convinced than ever that Aaron's dad's problem with Aaron was that he was effeminate--in their talk, Aaron says he always thought his father "resented" (wrong word, I think; maybe "despised" was too harsh) him because he was not "manly"--as a child?!

When he's talking to Lola, he says he can't understand why he worries about telling his father some secret when he's a grown man.  Aaron refers several times to being afraid to tell his father something, although he's a grownup now.  The fact that the father clearly does not want to discuss this in any detail indicates it's something the father is very uncomfortable with.  I really do believe the root of Aaron's problems is that he is gay in an unaccepting family and world.  It would explain why he was brutalized at school and why his sister told him he would never know what it's like to kiss a woman--which Aaron says hurt him most of all.

I hope he gets slim--he's already handsome--and moves his hot boyfriend into that trailer with his dad.

And I was inexplicably touched that when he served his niece and nephews their canned ravioli, he put the girl's serving in a pink bowl and the boys' in blue bowls.

ETA:  in the light of seeing Aaron as a closeted gay man, I think the fact that he is so vehement about not asking his father to help him in the bathroom takes on a whole other dimension.

The common thread that most of these 600lbsers  is making people who they feel harmed or hurt them ,pay by making the other person care for them..  They are experts in guilt tripping people..  Aaron had his sister care for his wounds and bring food ...She was nasty to him years prior to his extreme weight gain..

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ZeldaZee said:

I wasn't a "skinny kid" but I wasn't overweight until I hit about 9 years old, and I piled it on FAST– I was 160lb by age 11. No trauma– I just always liked food, preferred reading to sports and puberty hit me like a ton of bricks. Looking back at photos from then it astonishes me that I got that bad that young, and no one ever said anything.

My parents were not uneducated– they had advanced degrees, had lived around the world, and raised their kids on NPR and PBS. In short, late-80s Bay Area "let's send the kids to Montessori and join a men's choir" insufferable. But, diet and nutrition was just not something on my family's radar. Food didn't play a huge role in our family (Mom hated to cook and Dad would happily live on steak, potatoes and chardonnay for the rest of his life), but all our portions were enormous and it was important we all sat down at dinner and cleared our plates because that's just what you did.

I knew I was a fat kid early on (I remember there being two other kids in my new 4th grade class larger than me and thinking, "oh, thank God"), and I'm sure my mother knew I was gaining weight since when she dieted, which she often did, everyone dieted. However, nothing was said or done, directly to me, ever. And, I kind of wish it had been addressed as I was being teased about my incredible dumpiness in Jr. High and I KNEW something was wrong, I knew I was out of breath and everything chafed and I couldn't remotely keep up with my classmates in gym. I just had no idea how to fix it and again, it just wasn't something my family addressed other than Mom following Susan Powter for two weeks.

So in answer to your question: I don't know how it happens, other than it does. And Lord, it sucked. It still sucks even at 33, because I still have those habits I developed at a young age and they feel like instinct I have to fight at times. I feel sympathy for these "fat kids" because that was me. What I don't feel sympathy for is still using that as your reasoning to continue this well into adulthood. At some point you have to take control. I'm still trying. I just wish I'd started sooner.

~ZZ

Great post,A common thread is the now adult 600lbers  ,hold decades  old resentments toward their parents who had tried to help them with their weight problems as children...and the parents usually end up feeding and caring for their obese adult children..

• Love 3

I didn't see anything about Aaron that screamed closeted or effeminate to me. He simply isn't a beer chugging. Harley-loving, flag loving iron pumping alpha male, which is okay. A lot of very overweight men do develop softer skin and features due to the increased estrogen production that goes with out of wack hormones, there have been studies done on this. It doesn't mean they are deliberately altering themselves. 

Edited by newyawk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, AVM said:

The common thread that most of these 600lbsers  is making people who they feel harmed or hurt them ,pay by making the other person care for them..  They are experts in guilt tripping people..  Aaron had his sister care for his wounds and bring food ...She was nasty to him years prior to his extreme weight gain..

Yes, but if Aaron had shown signs of being other than "manly" I suspect his sister, following his father's lead, made fun of him mercilessly from early childhood on.

And please understand, I'm not excusing Aaron's weight gain because he was a closeted gay man.  I think the frustration, anger and hurt caused by his situation help explain why he turned to food.  His relationship to food is like the relationship to food we see in all these guys.  It's just that often--not always--there's a triggering factor (often sexual abuse) that tells us why food was a comfort, and I think being a frightened little boy who was aware of the unacceptability to his father (and hence to his family and others in his environment) of his feelings and his very essence probably had a triggering effect on Aaron.

Not dissing his sister at all.  As a child, she followed her father's lead, and by the time we saw her she was nothing but loving and supportive of her brother.

I'm also recalling his father, during his "apology," saying "everyone is born to a different drummer."

18 hours ago, ProTourist said:

This is a good point. I've wondered why Aaron would make a lunch for his father of peanut butter and banana sandwich with side of grapes and glass of what appeared to be orange juice. He certainly knew that was a terrible meal for his father, whose complications of diabetes included a recent heart attack. Maybe a bit passive-agressive.

I agree.  But boy that peanut butter and banana sandwich looked good.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, newyawk said:

I didn't see anything about Aaron that screamed closeted or effeminate to me. He simply isn't a beer chugging. Harley-loving, flag loving iron pumping alpha male, which is okay. A lot of very overweight men do develop softer skin and features due to the increased estrogen production that goes with out of wack hormones, there have been studies done on this. It doesn't mean they are deliberately altering themselves. 

I agree. Aaron certainly isn't a macho man. He's a more sensitive man, but that's doesn't mean he is gay, although he could be. I believed Aaron when he said the abuse he took at school and from his sister while growing up, was because of his size -- not because of sexual orientation. But there could have been more than one reason. The beatings from his father may have in part been because his father perceived Aaron as too soft, not tough or 'manly' enough. But here too there was probably more than one reason, especially since the beatings started when Aaron was so young (six). Aaron said he himself did not always know why he was being punished. Well, whatever his true orientation, I hope that as Aaron continues to lose weight, he'll be able to start dating the gender that is natural for him. 😊

• Love 10
On 3/21/2019 at 6:28 PM, ProTourist said:

Oh yes.  I missed the first part, so, I didn't see the details about his dad and backstory in the beginning.  If his dad is diabetic....well....he wouldn't be eating a sandwich, PLUS the OJ and banana, if he were trying to manage blood sugar.  Even if your blood sugar is running a little low, that would be too many carbs.  I'm a Type I and have to count all my carbs so I can take proper amount of insulin.  So, it is possible to cover those carbs if you take insulin, but, if just on pills.....I guess you just wait for it to wear off.  Not something you should do a lot of though. I wonder if Aaron knew this. 

• Love 5
On 3/21/2019 at 8:37 AM, Hannah94 said:

Just finished this one and I think Aaron is handsome; it shows more and more as he loses weight. I loved how this episode ended, when he took his veteran dad to where he wanted to go. 

After Aaron lost weight, between the glasses and short grey hair, I thought he looked like a 50-year old suburban woman who had given up on life, at least from the neck up.

Not specific only to Aaron, but I can't handle these people.  So many of them pull up to Dr. Now's for the first time and state, "I'm scared.  Even worse which I can't take, is "I have no idea what to expect."  Really?  You have NEVER watched the show, even after being accepted?  You have no idea that you will be put on a 1200 calorie diet and told to lose weight?

I am really done with this show.  Every episode is identical, narratives written by the same person.  I can tell exactly what is about to happen by the music being played.

This show has brought me no joy for awhile, but the nail in the coffin was when I had to turn off last week's episode shortly after it began because of those poor, mistreated at best dogs.  I would call them abused.

I will just get my enjoyment from these forums and all the great posters here.

ETA:  This show has been personally helpful to me, just to reinforce that all people struggle with things.  My struggle has been trying to keep my weight up to my goal weight, 100 lbs.  But every single thing the people on this show say has rung true to me.  Comments about what I am eating from loved ones, "Eat a cheeseburger" taunts from strangers, dreading getting weighed at the doctor and the ensuing "concerned talk."  Not liking to look at myself nude in the mirror (though I look dxmn good in the right clothes).  Bottom line, if someone is a stranger, then their body is nobody's business.  If someone you love is hurting themselves and not exploiting others, there is a nice way to offer support.  If someone is Schenee, get your shxt together and walknout and never look back.  No free housing is worth it for someone who won't even feign attempting to help themselves.

Edited by PumpkinPK
Typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 3/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, newyawk said:

I didn't see anything about Aaron that screamed closeted or effeminate to me. He simply isn't a beer chugging. Harley-loving, flag loving iron pumping alpha male, which is okay. 

That was my thought. In fact, I expected him to tell Lola he was gay, but he didn't. I don't think he's gay, he's just not the he-man his father wanted.

I was a professor in a library science program. I had more than one guy I thought for sure was gay, but who turned out to be married or otherwise interested in females. Some guys are just different.

Regarding what Aaron fed his father - as a caregiver, he should have taken a diabetic nutrition class or gone with his father to the nutritionist, but I bet he didn't. Once again, a lot of people think that if it's not sugar, it's OK, when it's not.  

• Love 13

One of my pet peeves about pre made showers is how low the seats always are. Aaron mentioned that his bench was custom built yet was so low that he dropped down onto it with a thud. When I'm featured someday (I hope!) on My Lottery Dream Home you can see for yourself the 20" height bench and 10 grab bars I plan to have installed. 🙂

Edited by Kenzie
  • Love 4

So I finally sat down and watched the whole episode and Aaron (God help me, I can no longer look at that name without hearing Keegan-Michael Key) did not exactly pull at my heartstrings. Parts of his story did (that horrific school incident– I mean, Jesus, that's some Lord of the Flies shit right there) but as a whole, I was less than impressed by him.

I'm a couple of years older than Aaron (which shocked me, he looked about 50) and my own father will be 76 this year. Luckily my father is mentally sharp, working, healthy as a horse; I moved back in with him to save money for a move and we're great housemates. That being said, I know he's 75 years old and while he doesn't need it, I will do everything to make things easier for him.

The whole grocery store sequence with Aaron's father struggling in and out of his wheelchair to buy groceries while his son sat in the car fucking disgusted me. It disgusted me more than the Poundticipants who are chauffeured to the store and sit in the passenger seat while the driver shops and checks off their list. Sure, Aaron drove (whoopie for him) there but what he made his father do was so much worse than the guilt-trip sobbing the rest of the Poundticipants usually pull when their favorite crullers aren't available.

I'm sure Aaron's Dad WAS a hardass when he was little and I'm sure Aaron got the belt. But hot Goddamn, dragging an old disabled man around to do your shopping for you is just cruel. It was like Aaron was punishing his father for the past by turning him into his personal gofer. This wasn't as viscerally gross as Jeanne, but it was pretty disturbing.

~ZZ

Edited by ZeldaZee
  • Love 4

I was thinking about Aaron's future. He really needs to get down to his goal weight (whatever that is), have any needed skin removal surgery, and figure out how he's going to support himself going forward. As far as I can figure, at this time he's probably living on his dad's retirement/pension/Social Security income. His dad is 76 years old and apparently in precarious health (poorly controlled diabetes and heart disease). Those monthly income streams won't outlive his dad.

Aaron is a high school dropout with a fairly short work history - he quit working several years ago to care for his ailing parents. I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if he ever sought paid employment after that. He needs to get healthy, and get his GED, and get some skills. I think he's bright enough to understand that even if the subject wasn't mentioned during the episode. 

Maybe his parents had some savings or investments that they set aside for Aaron, and maybe his dad owns that house free and clear and will leave it to Aaron so he won't be homeless. But, still, Aaron's going to have to take care of business and bring in some income after his dad is gone.

I really wish him luck. I didn't dislike him, and was glad to see he eventually got with the program and began losing weight and getting out more.

• Love 7
On 3/24/2019 at 5:19 AM, ZeldaZee said:

The whole grocery store sequence with Aaron's father struggling in and out of his wheelchair to buy groceries while his son sat in the car fucking disgusted me. It disgusted me more than the Poundticipants who are chauffeured to the store and sit in the passenger seat while the driver shops and checks off their list. Sure, Aaron drove (whoopie for him) there but what he made his father do was so much worse than the guilt-trip sobbing the rest of the Poundticipants usually pull when their favorite crullers aren't available.

Once again, none of these people seem to know anything about food delivery. I forget where Aaron was from, but for goodness sake - I get non-perishables delivered from walmart (delivered, not the service where you pick up at the store). Most local groceries will deliver. They could pay someone to go once a week and get the groceries if there is no cab service where they live. I just don't get it. I didn't drive until I was 48. Somehow, none of my family starved to death in the meanwhile.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, Jeeves said:

Maybe his parents had some savings or investments that they set aside for Aaron, and maybe his dad owns that house free and clear and will leave it to Aaron so he won't be homeless. But, still, Aaron's going to have to take care of business and bring in some income after his dad is gone.

Even if they own the house, the taxes still have to be paid every year.  And food.  And gas.  I would certainly hope Aaron doesn't go back to working in fast food or he will balloon back up.

• Love 2

Rewatching Aaron and I was struck by Dr Now asking Aaron where he was coming from and then remarking that New Braunfels isn’t far away. The thing is that Sr Now’s paperwork must indicate where the patients come from. The show has already invested time and money to film Aaron at home and to document his ride in. And yet, Dr Now acts like they just walked in off the street.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, Concerned said:

Rewatching Aaron and I was struck by Dr Now asking Aaron where he was coming from and then remarking that New Braunfels isn’t far away. The thing is that Sr Now’s paperwork must indicate where the patients come from. The show has already invested time and money to film Aaron at home and to document his ride in. And yet, Dr Now acts like they just walked in off the street.

In healthcare (just as in business and social interactions) questions are often asked not because an answer is needed (either information is already known or irrelevant) but because they help to establish rapport.  Or because how someone says something/what context they provide is more important than the fact.  

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Fyi everyone, Aaron's father passed away earlier this month.

This article at Starcasm contains links to the obituary and to Aaron's announcement on his FB fan page.

I'm sure we all hope that Aaron will stay strong as he must now undergo many changes in his life, in addition to grieving.

Rest In Peace Eugene Washer.

15 hours ago, ProTourist said:

Fyi everyone, Aaron's father passed away earlier this month.

This article at Starcasm contains links to the obituary and to Aaron's announcement on his FB fan page.

I'm sure we all hope that Aaron will stay strong as he must now undergo many changes in his life, in addition to grieving.

Rest In Peace Eugene Washer.

I'm sad to hear that.  Late last week they had the Aaron episode on, and it was a welcome change from the Assanti fiasco.  I'm glad he was able to take his dad to that war memorial and museum near the end of the show.  I'm also glad Aaron has the support of his sister.

• Love 1