Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Aaron's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Reminder: Please do not discuss politics via topic of disability/Medicare & "stealing from the public". Only address issues related to people on the show, not everyone in a given group.  Let's veer away from assumptions that head us down that slope.

• Start Topic

Since the death of his mother, Aaron has lived at home to care for his aging father.  But due to his food addiction, Aaron has to rely heavily on his father for help instead. Now Aaron must learn to care for himself to avoid eating himself to death. 

This is the regular episode thread.  It will be open after the US East Coast showing.   

I find myself saying his name as A-A-Ron.  Thanks Key and Peele!  I'll bet he's churlish.  

giphy.gif

Hopefully no clipboards will be damaged in the viewing of this episode. 

giphy.gif

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Gotta admit, I gave up right after his surgery. I just can’t get through these episodes this season. I’m in it for the live chat only. I miss the James K’s and Chucks and Penny’s for entertainment value and the Diana’s, Nikki’s,and Brittneys’ for “you go girl”watching. Oh good days, good days

• Love 3

I missed this episode - my friend was visiting - so I am about to watch it while reading the live chat.  The comment above makes me worried this is not one of the better episodes, though...

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I missed this episode - my friend was visiting - so I am about to watch it while reading the live chat.  The comment above makes me worried this is not one of the better episodes, though...

I guess that depends on how you're defining "better episode" 😉 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

Either inspiring like Justin or funny like Schenee!

Definitely not a Schenee! Not quite a Justin, bit of a slow start, but he picks up steam later on.

• Love 6

His sister's kids are adorable.  But when he was babysitting them in the beginning, why couldn't he cook them something halfway healthy and especially play active games with them in lieu of exercise?  At least when he lost weight he was able to be active with them and not just sit on the couch.

He did seem genuinely motivated from the beginning, unlike many we have seen recently and seemed to know how to cook at least somewhat.   And the house was nice and clean inside. I was surprised he only lost meager 22 pounds in the first three months.   At least he was able to pick himself up and do pretty well.

It was funny how Dr. Now played with the cut out portion of the stomach.  Probably slightly unethical but funny nevertheless. 

His conversation with his dad was cringe-worthy.  It's like they are on two different wavelengths and they did not quite get one another... but it seems they both want to make their relationship work.  I know I was afraid of my Mom as a child and clashed with her a lot as a teen but as adults we are very close and I love spending time with her - in her house, in mine, or travelling.  Childhood impressions can be overcome...  They did seem to get closer by the end of the show.

Overall, Aaron seems like a nice guy and I hope he continues to lose weight and do more things and meet more people.  I hope they do a follow-up on him.

• Love 11

Aaron’s a really  nice guy, and it was good he was able to address his feelings with his Dad. I felt a kinship with Aaron,  because I had a similar upbringing and my Dad was also  a strict disciplinarian. I was also bullied and beaten up at school. You don’t realize how pivotal those primary relationships are and how they shape you as an adult. Therapy helps! 

I hope he continues to do well, and gets to enjoy life and experience new things. 

• Love 13
39 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

200 lbs at age 8? Is that a record? Hot damn, how is that humanly possible?!

I guess parents just give up ? Meanwhile both his parents were obese and it killed his Mother .. Somethings I just dont understand ,like why wait until you get that big before doing something about it ?..

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, AVM said:

I guess parents just give up ? Meanwhile both his parents were obese and it killed his Mother .. Somethings I just dont understand ,like why wait until you get that big before doing something about it ?..

That is something I question on every episode and forever will. I have struggled with weight, as in 20 lbs up, 20 lbs down, 20 lbs up again, etc. But at what point exactly does one realize "Okay, this is past dangerous"? 300, 400, 500....crickets. But then 600, 700 - "uh oh, this is JUST NOW getting bad"? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

That is something I question on every episode and forever will. I have struggled with weight, as in 20 lbs up, 20 lbs down, 20 lbs up again, etc. But at what point exactly does one realize "Okay, this is past dangerous"? 300, 400, 500....crickets. But then 600, 700 - "uh oh, this is JUST NOW getting bad"? 

Same here as I have gotten older, I have given up all bread since Ash Wednesday to help get off my extra winter 20lbs ..

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

I have seen the same scenario play out in so many different areas, both heath related and not, and personally experienced it in a couple areas, and the only answer I can come up with is that it is very individual and it has to affect something that is deeply meaningful to the person affected.   Usually but not always there is a trigger event (which may or may not be directly related to the problem) to bring upon that realization...   That seems to be the consensus among my colleagues, and we have had many a conversation about it because for us it is our bread and butter - trying to figure out what drives a person to seek treatment after suffering symptoms for months or (more often) years. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Just finished this one and I think Aaron is handsome; it shows more and more as he loses weight. I loved how this episode ended, when he took his veteran dad to where he wanted to go. 

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Hellga said:

His sister's kids are adorable.  But when he was babysitting them in the beginning, why couldn't he cook them something halfway healthy and especially play active games with them in lieu of exercise?  At least when he lost weight he was able to be active with them and not just sit on the couch.

I thought of this too, but Aaron may have been following instructions from his sister, as to what to give them for meals and perhaps also to keep them indoors. She may not have trusted his ability to respond if one of kids ran out into the road or fell and was injured.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

I think for Aaron, it was his mother's death that finally motivated him, although he did have one false start.

I must admit I liked Aaron and his story very much. I'm so happy for him that he's remaking his life into something he can enjoy. During my second viewing tonight, I decided to make notes to aid myself in following and understanding. Figured I may as well share it here. If it's too long, please just skip over it and I apologize in advance.

• Agree with those in the live chat who said that Aaron should use the toilet prior to showering, and that he was unlikely to clean effectively by draping a wipe over the handle of his cane. There are special devices made for this purpose, which reach around the back and which a female patient was shown using a couple of seasons ago.
  • For the grocery shopping, not sure why Aaron makes his father go into the store while he waits in the car. Since his father uses an electric cart in the store, it seems that Aaron could do that too, as other patients have.
  • Aaron's father would discipline him more severely than he would his daughters, and would beat Aaron with a belt when he broke a rule. Aaron stated he did not always know what he had done wrong when he received these beatings. He lived in constant fear of his father. This is what caused him to turn to food for comfort, which started when he was six years old.
  • Aaron dropped out of high school due to bullying and physical abuse received from other kids, due to his size. He was too embarrassed to tell anyone about it, so he walked away from it and went to work instead.
  • His jobs in fast food restaurants contributed to his weight gain and declining health, due to all the meals he would eat there. Eventually he had to stop working when he no longer had the physical strength and stamina to complete a shift. During this time, his parents put on a lot of weight as well. His mother's weight climbed to over 300 pounds and his father's to over 400 pounds, and both were in their sixties. Aaron was around 550 at this time, but at twenty years of age was stronger than them and was able to become caregiver for both of them, moving back home in the process.
  • Aaron's mother died when he was 27. She was over 400 pounds by that time. After watching his mother die, Aaron first realized that food could kill him, and made an attempt to lose weight. He was successful for a short time but could not maintain it, regained what he had lost, and continued to gain weight since then. Food became an addiction for him.
  • Aaron's father lost a lot of weight some time before the episode began, and is no longer obese. He is 75 years old, frail, diabetic, and a Vietnam veteran. He suffered a heart attack, a complication of his diabetes, a week after Aaron's first appointment with Dr. Now. He recovered and was able to return home after a few weeks in hospital, during which time Aaron was unable to visit him.
  • For Aaron's second appointment with Dr. Now, his sister Margaret could not go with him, so Aaron's father went. However, Aaron drove this time. His sister joined him again for the third visit, and Aaron drove again. He was walking without the cane this time. For the one-month follow-up appointment after surgery, Margaret drove, as she had the first time.
  • Therapist Lola Clay gave Aaron a homework assignment of talking with his father about how his behavior toward Aaron shaped Aaron's life and contributed to the person that Aaron is now. It took Aaron a few weeks to work up the courage to have this conversation with his father -- missing a second post-surgery weight-loss goal motivated him.
  • The conversation started out pretty well, although Aaron's fear was palpable and brought him to tears. Aaron's father told him he loved him and was proud of him. When Aaron tried to talk to his father about the severe punishments meted out to him during childhood, his father apologized for his past behavior, but refused to discuss it, became annoyed, said he was done and left the room.
  • Although weeping at the conversation's failure, Aaron's regret at having upset his father moved him to follow him to the other room, where he explained that he wasn't looking to place blame on him, but just to release these emotions so he could stop turning to food for comfort; and that he wanted the two of them to have a better relationship. His father reiterated that the past should remain in the past, but gave his son a hug and some affectionate words.
  • For Aaron's final office visit to Dr. Now, he made the trip all by himself; no family member accompanied him. He had hit his weight-loss goal and was back on track.
  • At the close of the episode, Aaron and his father take an excursion to visit a local war memorial and an air force base, fulfilling the second homework assignment he had received from Lola. It was a meaningful shared experience for them.

I must admit that I was proud of Lola's work with Aaron. Her advise was on target for his situation and really helped him.

Well done ProTourist, great synopsis! I read every word. Seeing his story summarized this way really showcased was just how responsible and decent of a person Aaron is. Yes, he dropped out of school which, given the circumstances, was understandable but also enraging. I am way older than Aaron and I too was bullied in school and it really pisses me off that nothing seems to have changed in how schools deal with bullying. In his case, he was physically assaulted over and over again yet no intervention by school authorities. He also mentioned that he went to school with bruises from being beaten repeatedly by his dad and no one noticed that either! ***Okay, anti-bullying rant over.***

Anyway, he didn't just go home and take to his bed and sponge off his parents (anyone remember dear Kirsten?); he got a job. Fast food worker was probably not the best choice but may have been the only real choice for him as a high school dropout where he lived. Then, when he couldn't work anymore, he got certified to be a caregiver for his parents. At least he was trying.

I really liked Aaron and he should be very proud of himself for losing 315 pounds in one year. Contrast him with last week's subject, Jeanne. I turned on TLC  last night right before his episode and caught the last five minutes of her story. Had already forgotten how she said that she was "done" with Dr. Now, was going through too much to stop eating and, how proud of herself she was for how much weight she lost and how hard she worked to achieve that! Unbelievable.

I hope to see an update on him and wish him well.

• Love 20

I do a fair amount of reading about caretaking, since, I am responsible for a family member who is disabled and terminally ill.  (Not hands on caregiver though.) From what I have read, it is not recommended that a person who was abused as a child care for the person who abused them. It's something to do with the dynamics transferring to the adult relationship, which is now patient/caretaker.  It's said to just not be healthy.  I get it.  I suppose that Lola didn't think of that or maybe, she thought they could work through it. 

I thought Aaron was quite handsome.  I would like to see a full report after all his surgeries are done. 

Why do you think that he only lost twenty-some pounds several months after his surgery? He was supposed to be on a liquid diet, right? 

• Love 3

He was on a liquid diet, but that included creamy canned soup, as a liquid.     Others have used that method, and it's really bad for you, and some soups have things like High Fructose Corn Syrup added, which is horrible for you. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

I thought of this too, but Aaron may have been following instructions from his sister, as to what to give them for meals and perhaps also to keep them indoors. She may not have trusted his ability to respond if one of kids ran out into the road or fell and was injured.

Good point.  I didn't think of that - in my family, whenever I was spending time with my grandparents or my aunt and uncle, whether for a few days or a few months, it was always "their house - their rules" and zero instructions from my parents, though unlike Aaron all the people I stayed with had successfully raised children of their own.  I can see how his sister would be less inclined to rely on his judgment and abilities.   

13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought Aaron was quite handsome.  I would like to see a full report after all his surgeries are done. 

Why do you think that he only lost twenty-some pounds several months after his surgery? He was supposed to be on a liquid diet, right? 

Yes, I thought his face, once fat and bloating started to decrease, was handsome.  I hope he continues to progress.

Given all the shakes and smoothies out there that have a zillion calories per bottle, a liquid diet can still be unhealthy - and he doesn't seem to have either education or the savvy to really understand nutritional value. I wonder if he got some nutrition training off-camera later on...  Plus juices, sodas, jello, sugar candies he could be sneaking in as consolation and comfort after surgery... 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5

Peanut butter on bread does not appeal to me at all. I think Dr. Now is much harder on the people when they fail then in past seasons.  He really tells them off: you are not trying,  you are lying about what you eat,  your blaming everything else and not taking responsibility,  you know exactly what you are doing,  stop lying to me,  you don't realize how critical your situation is. This seems to work. I love the comments between the weigh in and seeing Dr. Now. It's always "I wonder what Dr. Now is going to say? I hope he sees I've been trying" Um, NO!!! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

Peanut butter on bread does not appeal to me at all. I think Dr. Now is much harder on the people when they fail then in past seasons.  He really tells them off: you are not trying,  you are lying about what you eat,  your blaming everything else and not taking responsibility,  you know exactly what you are doing,  stop lying to me,  you don't realize how critical your situation is. This seems to work. I love the comments between the weigh in and seeing Dr. Now. It's always "I wonder what Dr. Now is going to say? I hope he sees I've been trying" Um, NO!!! 

I love peanut butter on bread. I love peanut butter on its own. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do a fair amount of reading about caretaking, since, I am responsible for a family member who is disabled and terminally ill.  (Not hands on caregiver though.) From what I have read, it is not recommended that a person who was abused as a child care for the person who abused them. It's something to do with the dynamics transferring to the adult relationship, which is now patient/caretaker.  It's said to just not be healthy.  I get it.  I suppose that Lola didn't think of that or maybe, she thought they could work through it. 

While I agree that, overall, it may not be a good idea for the abused to take care of a former abuser, I see that as a general guideline that may not be applicable in each case. I just don't get the impression that that was the case when it comes to Aaron. Really, he just didn't seem to have an abusive bone in his body. I saw him as more deeply emotionally wounded by his dad's abuse more than anything else.

Wasn't sure who you asking about the twenty pounds but, if I may, I recall that he only lost 22 pounds in three months in preparation for his WLS and no where near what Dr. Now asked him to lose which was, I think, 100 pounds in two "munts." 😊

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

While I agree that, overall, it may not be a good idea for the abused to take care of a former abuser, I see that as a general guideline that may not be applicable in each case. I just don't get the impression that that was the case when it comes to Aaron. Really, he just didn't seem to have an abusive bone in his body. I saw him as more deeply emotionally wounded by his dad's abuse more than anything else.

Wasn't sure who you asking about the twenty pounds but, if I may, I recall that he only lost 22 pounds in three months in preparation for his WLS and no where near what Dr. Now asked him to lose which was, I think, 100 pounds in two "munts." 😊

It was my impression that the unhealthy part of the relationship could go either way.  It could be the abused adult child now holding resentment and still reliving that abuse as they are under stress to provide care for a disabled person day after day.  I'm not sure how many recognize that being a full time caretaker for a senior, disabled person ,etc.  is extremely stressful and exhausting.  It really takes a toll on your physical and mental health.  A large percentage of caretakers die before the patient does. I didn't see the entire show, so, does Aaron have some other help inside the home? 

I hope that Aaron is able to move on in life.  It's good he's making amends with his dad. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I love peanut butter on bread. I love peanut butter on its own. 

I actually think peanut butter can be part of a low carb diet since I add a small amount to my protein shakes but not in sandwiches like Aaron; bread was definitely not Dr. Now approved!

I don't enjoy just peanut butter on bread by itself but I loves me a good pb&j! Okay, outing myself here........ I have made and enjoyed an "Elvis" sandwich, at least my version of it: peanut butter--smooth, NEVER chunky--a little honey, sliced bananas and BACON between two slices of bread and cooked in butter like a grilled cheese sandwich.😱  Absolutely not Dr. Now approved, but an occasional guilty pleasure.

Nope, no one needs to ask, I'll show myself out................ 

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Clarifications.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Hannah94 said:

Just finished this one and I think Aaron is handsome; it shows more and more as he loses weight. I loved how this episode ended, when he took his veteran dad to where he wanted to go. 

I agree, he is quite a nice looking man. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It was my impression that the unhealthy part of the relationship could go either way.  It could be the abused adult child now holding resentment and still reliving that abuse as they are under stress to provide care for a disabled person day after day.  I'm not sure how many recognize that being a full time caretaker for a senior, disabled person ,etc.  is extremely stressful and exhausting.  It really takes a toll on your physical and mental health.  A large percentage of caretakers die before the patient does. I didn't see the entire show, so, does Aaron have some other help inside the home? 

I hope that Aaron is able to move on in life.  It's good he's making amends with his dad. 

Great points SunnyBeBe. It is indeed very stressful. I know because did it. I wonder in the case of Aaron if caring for his dad actually helped him to gain the courage to clear the air between them? Maybe seeing how sick and frail he was up close and personal made him realize that he wanted to have the best, loving relationship he could since his father may not have many years left?

Since I like to poke fun at her on a regular basis, I must give major props to the therapist Lola for her advice. Aaron really did need to have that very uncomfortable conversation with his dad. All that pain was literally weighing him down. Whenever his dad passes, he won't have the burden of not resolving their relationship or a lifetime of "what ifs."

And, hey, I really like that hairstyle on her, wig, weave, or not!😊

• Love 7
11 hours ago, newyawk said:

Watching now. Have we now reached a new low for the show, having the cameras on a person while he takes a dump? Or have they done this previously? Jiminy Christmas.

And his cane covered with a baby wipe?! Eeegads I will never get that thought out of my head! 🤮Shouldn’t you have a “special” cane dedicated just for your toilet use?!

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

At first I thought Aaron was going to be another totally pitiable case like Jeanne, but he turned out fine.  I even wondered if he spent his days on those incel message boards, then those thoughts quickly faded.  Most of Aaron's anger seemed directed toward his dad, and he turned out to be a very sensitive, empathetic guy, so I hope he's not one of those types.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I actually think peanut butter can be part of a low carb diet since I add a small amount to my protein shakes but not in sandwiches like Aaron; bread was definitely not Dr. Now approved!

I don't enjoy just peanut butter on bread by itself but I loves me a good pb&j! Okay, outing myself here........ I have made and enjoyed an "Elvis" sandwich, at least my version of it: peanut butter--smooth, NEVER chunky--a little honey, sliced bananas and BACON between two slices of bread and cooked in butter like a grilled cheese sandwich.😱  Absolutely not Dr. Now approved, but an occasional guilty pleasure.

I actually make a smoothie that I call "chocolate Elvis." Amond milk, chocolate protein powder, PB2 peanut butter powder (cuts down on the fat), 1/2 a frozen banana. Yum. Meal, not a snack. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Dr Now ask him to lose 120 in two months,because Aaron is mobile ...

• Love 2

Lola gives the exact same advice to everybody from this show, doesn't she? Either have a talk with the problem relative, or write a letter, which may or may not be mailed. 

My sister is caregiver to our 97 year old mother; I can't imagine her being 500+lbs., and doing this work. And my mom's in way better shape than Aaron's dad is.

When Dr. Now says 'liquid diet', I've been assuming that specifies either clear liquids only, or a brand name supplement like Boost. I would think at the initial phase of the procedure, the less you leave up to the patient's judgement, the better. 

I still didn't see a huge appearance change by the end, other than in Aaron's face. (It was great that he went from being exhausted just driving his dad to the grocery store vs. hiking in the caves and around the airport hanger, though). I'd still prefer the episodes that end with a dramatic visual change.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

When Dr. Now says 'liquid diet', I've been assuming that specifies either clear liquids only, or a brand name supplement like Boost. I would think at the initial phase of the procedure, the less you leave up to the patient's judgement, the better. 

I can't imagine they don't get a lot more detailed instructions than the show puts on the air. But there's always going to be someone who thinks they can decide "alternatives" on their own, or simply don't fully understand for whatever reason.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Lola gives the exact same advice to everybody from this show, doesn't she? Either have a talk with the problem relative, or write a letter, which may or may not be mailed. 

My sister is caregiver to our 97 year old mother; I can't imagine her being 500+lbs., and doing this work. And my mom's in way better shape than Aaron's dad is.

I still didn't see a huge appearance change by the end, other than in Aaron's face. (It was great that he went from being exhausted just driving his dad to the grocery store vs. hiking in the caves and around the airport hanger, though). I'd still prefer the episodes that end with a dramatic visual change.

Its obvious at over 500lbs you can be very little help to anyone let alone two obese parents,the night his Mother died the Father had to telephone Aaron in his room for help. May God Bless you and your sister and all the gave-givers out there.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

At first I thought Aaron was going to be another totally pitiable case like Jeanne, but he turned out fine.  I even wondered if he spent his days on those incel message boards, then those thoughts quickly faded.  Most of Aaron's anger seemed directed toward his dad, and he turned out to be a very sensitive, empathetic guy, so I hope he's not one of those types.

Got a slight Chay vibe from Aaron. We never did find out why his father punished him, although the dad said he should have accepted him the way he was. The sister told him he would never have a girlfriend. Kids teased him. Plus the complete lack of facial hair and round body might suggest low testosterone.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, AVM said:

Dr Now ask him to lose 120 in two months,because Aaron is mobile ...

also he is male, the men can lose faster and he was over 700. A 550 pound women would be given 80 in 2 months.  I remember when I was in weight watchers, the men lost so much faster. Not fair! ha ha

I don't like peanut butter- it's okay but I'm not nuts about it (get it?)  and I'm allergic to raw celery so I can't have that snack!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Peanut butter (any nut butter) isn't terrible if it's not the sugar filled variety.  The problem is for people like me who binge eat it whenever it's in sight.  I think if Aaron had eaten it without the bread it might not have been so bad.  But he also didn't appear to be measuring anything so he probably wasn't tracking calories.

16 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

I don't like peanut butter- it's okay but I'm not nuts about it (get it?)  and I'm allergic to raw celery so I can't have that snack!

Ha! I am allergic to peanut butter, and I don't really care for raw celery.  So we can not have that snack together. 

I need to re-watch this as I was trying to do the live-chat last night, and I can't keep up with either the show or postings while I do that.  I guess it takes practice, and I am not usually home on Wed in time to partake of the fun.

I missed  the very first part where he talked about the abuse from his dad, but I did hear him explain in the "therapy session" that he was grounded so I made a remark last night that sounds rather flippant in hindsight.  At least he has lost weight and has a better relationship with his dad, and he can do things with his sister.

I think he mentioned 2 sisters, but I don't recall seeing another sister--only Margaret.

• Love 3

Aaron was really a cute little boy.  What a terrible experience, to have to see his mother suffer and die, and not being able to stop it. 

One thing I am constantly surprised about is when we see people who are in areas that seem to be developed enough to have decent internet connections, and they aren't ordering groceries online, they're struggling to get to the store themselves or forcing someone else to do it. I would think they would have at least some sort of grocery delivery, if not Fresh Direct, then PeaPod or something regional. Maybe not?

I was really surprised that Aaron was trying to train himself at the gym. Kudos to him for trying, but I think it is really important for someone inexperienced and as out of shape as him to get some personal training, at least for a few weeks, to get him on the right track and teach him properly, including proper form and how to safely up your resistance over time. 

Aaron's father didn't make much of an effort to try to understand or find out why his son felt the way he felt growing up, which was unfortunate. It was nice that he immediately set things straight that he loves and is proud of Aaron, but he basically cut him off at the pass, because I guess he didn't want to hear it, or was uncomfortable with it, or the way he operates is to just to swiftly fix a problem when he's given one, and it was important for Aaron to really hash through it with his father. I'm glad that Aaron kept pushing him about it. 

It was good to see Aaron going out and doing interesting things with his family, there haven't been a lot of episodes where we've seen patients do that. 

Unremarkable case study, but pleasant enough episode.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I think he mentioned 2 sisters, but I don't recall seeing another sister--only Margaret.

Maybe the other one lives far away?

Speaking of peanut butter, I only eat it with apples - cut an apple into quarters or 8ths and smear peanut butter liberally on them.  It's too dry for me to eat with anything non-juicy.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, newyawk said:

One thing I am constantly surprised about is when we see people who are in areas that seem to be developed enough to have decent internet connections, and they aren't ordering groceries online, they're struggling to get to the store themselves or forcing someone else to do it. I would think they would have at least some sort of grocery delivery, if not Fresh Direct, then PeaPod or something regional. Maybe not?

A (very quick) google suggests that there are grocery delivery and curbside pickup options in the New Braunfels area (HEB and Walmart, for two).

If there is another sister, which is the one who told him he'd never have a girlfriend?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, sempervivum said:

To be fair, a lot of the patients come in with the same exact problems.  There is a certain formula to the structure of the show and the stories they choose to show.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, AVM said:

Its obvious at over 500lbs you can be very little help to anyone let alone two obese parents,the night his Mother died the Father had to telephone Aaron in his room for help. May God Bless you and your sister and all the gave-givers out there.

I would suspect that the father called Aaron because he didn't want to leave his wife while she was in distress.  She had an embolism.  Regardless of Aaron's weight, other than calling the ambulance there was nothing he could do. 

The show downplayed the abuse.  Early in the episode Aaron said his father beat him. There does seem to have been physical abuse in his childhood.  Aaron also stated he often didn't know why he was being punished and he was punished more harshly than his sisters.  His father then had a talking head in which he acknowledged he was tough on Aaron.  I recall he mentioned being physical but I'm not 100% sure. 

In the discussion between Aaron and his father near the end of the show, dad was fine with saying that he was proud of Aaron.  Once the discussion moved toward the actual abuse dad shut it down.  He did not deny it; he ran away.  To my mind Aaron's father did not want to talk about the physical abuse on camera because he did not want to have to admit to hitting his son.  He never actually addressed the issue. 

Aaron handled this very difficult conversation well.  He also ultimately let his father get away with not fully dealing with the issue. There is a point where you get what you are going to get.  Pushing him further was not going to end well.  At the same time, had Aaron pushed harder we may have seen the dark side of his father. 

• Love 9