Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: To Grandmother’s House We Go

• Start Topic

John David & Abbie fly to the Philippines for a mission trip weeks before their wedding. Meanwhile, Jinger & Jeremy travel up north so Felicity can meet her great-grandparents. While there, they get a surprise from some very unexpected guests!

I found Jackson so endearing tonight and I’ve never ever cared for that kid.

6 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:

Also I am sad for Abbie and leaving her job.....

Yeah she kept saying she wanted to keep her certification up to date, but she really didn’t say she wanted to work, did she?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

At least there was no Mechelle this episode. Pity that Boob had to tag along on Jackson's driving adventure. And why did eleventy brothers also have to go? 

There was a short clip of Mechelle cooking breakfast. 😂😂  She was cooking eggs and turkey bacon. Then the boys were saying how many eggs and bacon they used to go through and how many now. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, fortunately I missed Mrs. JimBob cooking breakfast.  I was extremely annoyed to see JB tagging along for the driving lesson;  I had no idea they could get a permit so young.  Actually, it was probably mentioned in earlier episodes with other Duggar driving lessons. He didn't do too bad considering the size of the vehicle and all the passengers.  If I were driving that, I am sure my 3 point turn would be more like a 6 or 7 point turn.  I guess JB had to be with him to drive to the police station in the first place, but he could have been less obvious, but one of the older boys could have driven him to the station.  I think for permits, you usually have to have a parent in the front with you or a licensed adult over 21 so I think there were other options, but I am sure it varies by state. 

It was an okay episode;  I enjoy seeing the adult children as far from Arkansas as possible.  I just loved Felicity's gr-grandparents and want them to adopt me.  I will go to their house and happily feast on the lasagna.  I haven't seen that much of Jinger's in-laws, but what I have seen of them I like.  So maybe there is hope for Felicity.

And Kendra escaped to Panama City.  I didn't realize until tonight that her mother was pregnant, and that child will be younger than Kendra's child whose name always escapes me.    That seems a bit weird, but it does happen when people marry so young.

And I was fine with the trip to Manila.  I like that he is out of the country with the bride to be even if it looks as though her sisters are there. I would like to try the ice cream.   I was disappointed, but not surprised, that she seemed to focus on keeping the license renewed rather than going to work when she marries, because I would like the younger girls to see an example of a working mom.  I guess with mission trips and birthing her own babes, there wouldn't be time for a full time job, but maybe she could sign up at a temp agency and at least work from time to time.

I am seriously annoyed because TLC is trying to foist the parents back on us. 

• Love 13

Abbie seemed really wistful about leaving her job.  She knew what she was SUPPOSED to say (“No, it wasn’t hard because I would be with John!”) but knew that she couldn’t without lying to herself and the producer.  I hope John means it when he says he would support her going back to work, but I HATE that Abbie pursuing her passion is his decision. 

• Love 21

It freaks me out how Kendra's parents look younger than Joe. Poor Garrett inherited the Duggar melon-head. 

It sad to see Abbie leaving her job. Notice how she said it's what she's supposed to do, not what she wants to do. 

Felicity is an adorable little chubbers. Jeremy's grandmother is the best. It was so precious to see her excitement over the baby. I would never have guessed she and her husband were in their 90s. They look incredible.

Jackson was cute during his driving lesson. I'm rooting for Jer to be the first son to break the Duggar Puberty Curse. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 20

I just can’t imagine the world in which my daughter and I would be pregnant at the same time. 

I thought it was hilarious when Jackson said he wouldn’t need the three points back up reversal unless he was going to back up between two cows. 

That Lissy is so darn cute. 

• Love 12

Best interaction of the night, paraphrasing;

Tyler-"It would be wrong if Jackson hit a car in front of the police!"

Whoever(Justin?) -"It would be wrong if Jackson hit a car! "

Can't remember it exactly but it was funny.

Where has James been lately?  Boycotting the show for getting rid of his mom and her hubby?

1 minute ago, flyingdi said:
Edited by flyingdi
  • LOL 3

I wonder if Kendra’s parents  will have even more children after the eigth is (was ) born?   That’s a big enough family.  They are lucky to have healthy kids.  

Also, Kendra is a sweet person. Genuine, and kind.  Adorable.  

• Love 16

I would rather watch a show about Jeremy's parents & grandparents interacting with Jer & Jing. (Although I know Diana & Chuck's beliefs are horrible.) I'd like to know what Jer's great-grandparents' beliefs are regarding 'heathen Catholics'. Do they think the remaining Catholic part of the family are heathens going to hell? We all know those two started out being Catholic. I'd like to know what ancestry Ann Vuolo is. She already stated that she is not Italian but learned her mother-in-law's cooking recipes which are authentically Italian. This part of the family knows how to show genuine emotion. Jinger should learn how to live from Ann & Tony Vuolo.

I thoroughly expected Abbie to quit her job.....but to quit her job so she could plan a wedding? Who does that? I thought she had umpteen wedding planners in Jana and that other young lady? What's to plan? They have crappy receptions anyway? How man trips to Sam's & Costco did that wedding reception take? She will also have a baby sooner rather than later like all of the others. Why do they pretend that this is not the plan? I'll never know.

• Love 15

I noticed a conversation between Kendall and her mother, which made me sad. Her mother was explaining that every pregnancy after Kendra has been very difficult because she had a car accident while pregnant with Kendra. There’s been at least 5 pregnancies since Kendra! The woman appeared to be in serious pain, but I guess God just wants her to keep birthing those babies for Christ. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

I found Jackson so endearing tonight and I’ve never ever cared for that kid.

Yeah she kept saying she wanted to keep her certification up to date, but she really didn’t say she wanted to work, did she?

I've always had a soft spot for Jackson. I don't think he is treated well by his brothers. Note all the teasing about his size. So mean!! It must be awful growing up in that family. Why are they still on the air and JB needs to stay off the show. 

• Love 15
6 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Tyler-"It would be wrong if Jackson hit a car in front of the police!"

Whoever(Justin?) -"It would be wrong if Jackson hit a car! "

Sounds like Tyler's been spending too much time with JB.

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I thoroughly expected Abbie to quit her job.....but to quit her job so she could plan a wedding? Who does that? I thought she had umpteen wedding planners in Jana and that other young lady? What's to plan? They have crappy receptions anyway? How man trips to Sam's & Costco did that wedding reception take? She will also have a baby sooner rather than later like all of the others. Why do they pretend that this is not the plan? I'll never know.

So they can fool people into thinking they're lovely and normal to give the Duggars a better chance of staying on TeeVee? 

Isn't that why they do everything?

They and TLC have always taken tremendous pains to camouflage or semi-camouflage their vile beliefs and behaviors to turn them into "cute"" eccentricities." And it's all for the purpose of sustaining the show. Keeping the money rolling in to JimBob's little autocratic kingdom. And in the process actually normalizing their antediluvian, highly damaging, patriarchal crap to the million or so people who watch them every week as if The Handmaid's Tale was a sweet little comedy about a fun family. 

And, in the process, they all are big fucking conscious liars, or they become so soon after they marry in. For the actual Duggar kids pretending on television that you don't believe any of the things that you actually do believe is something they imbibed with their evil mother's milk. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Annabel11 said:

I've always had a soft spot for Jackson. I don't think he is treated well by his brothers. Note all the teasing about his size. So mean!! It must be awful growing up in that family. Why are they still on the air and JB needs to stay off the show. 

Yes, but since he actually benefits from the show whether he's on it or not, what good does it do to keep him off it?

The show continues to benefit him, most of all, in my opinion, even if he isn't on screen.

For one thing, if the rest of his family weren't pulling in cash from the show, he would probably have to scramble a bit more to support the mob his ego created. (or at least be a little more anxious about it.) And he ought to be anxious about creating this family that, under current conditions, couldn't care for itself without being on tv. (and, in my opinion, he should also have to suffer some in the 21st century for creating a family where women are despised and not treated as full humans.) 

And for another, having the show continues to uphold his crap "beliefs" as his patriarchal misogynistic bigoted cabal on tv masquerades as a cute situation comedy. It normalizes all the hateful, bigoted garbage beliefs he'd love to foist on humanity. It acts as the spoonful of sugar that makes the bigoted shit go down so easy. 

The only thing he gains by being on the actual screen is more ego strokes. And while heaven knows he doesn't need those, he still gets all the main benefits even when he isn't on the screen.

It's absurd to pretend that somehow his evil evil evil behavior over the Josh thing is suitably punished just by not having the camera on him directly. Everything he really cares about goes rolling on -- his beliefs and his immoral behavior are normalized, enabled and smiled at and his pockets are lined.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

At least there was no Mechelle this episode. Pity that Boob had to tag along on Jackson's driving adventure. And why did eleventy brothers also have to go? 

Tigerlily's post explaining the situation to her husband covers the answer to this one, too.  

ETA  Anybody think it's a possibility that it's both cheaper for production and provides extra residuals under 19 Kids and Counting to include the old footage?  I also think it's a stealth testing of the waters regarding bringing the whole family back (with a couple notable exceptions of course).   

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Abbie seemed really wistful about leaving her job.  She knew what she was SUPPOSED to say (“No, it wasn’t hard because I would be with John!”) but knew that she couldn’t without lying to herself and the producer.  I hope John means it when he says he would support her going back to work, but I HATE that Abbie pursuing her passion is his decision. 

I thought she seemed sad about leaving her job too. I hope she can go back to work at least part time because it seems that she loves it. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Brown eyed girl said:

Then the boys were saying how many eggs and bacon they used to go through and how many now. 

Yay! 

(Why do they think we still want to hear these Duggar facts?)

• Love 8
9 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

Jeremy’s family and Jinger’s genuine interactions with them is so monumentally different than any other aspect of the show. I smiled ear to ear at Jeremy’s grandmother’s reaction to meeting Felicity, Jeremy and his grandmother’s teasing of each other, and Jinger’s totally normal and affectionate interactions with the whole family.

I loved their visit with his grand parents. It seemed so genuine and warm. I loved how she ignored Jeremy at first and his reaction was priceless. 

• Love 14

You know what drove me batshit crazy???? (Other than the show itself, because, well....that's a given).

The way Jinger pronounced FeliciTy.With that very, very hard and pronounced T. Poppa Jer said it right (i give props when needed). He used the softer T so it flowed off his tongue in a more natural way.

By the way, I really have no idea who some of those younger boys are? I mean, I watch this shit show but it seems when they show the youngins, there is always at least one that I swear I have never seen before!!!! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

I hated the way Abby kept saying that she is a licensed nurse, and always omitted that she is a licensed practical nurse. Does she want us to believe that she is an RN? Quite a big difference. 

To be fair, in her world her accomplishment is pretty significant. 

• Love 21

Couldn't they have found a smaller vehicle for Jackson to drive? I know he'll eventually have to drive the huge passenger vans but give the kid a break on one of his first times out esp when he was practicing parking. 

JB, just because your state allows drivers to get their learners at 14, it doesn't mean they have to.  I just can't fathom any 14 year old understanding the rules of the road & to be mature enough to drive. At their age do they realize they can kill someone driving a car ?

I don't  think Abbie is any more special because she had a job.  It sounded like she pursued nursing after realizing at her age (in this cult)  she may not marry & this would give her something to do.  I hope she does keep up her credentials but I'm not holding my breath.

Re: Kendra & her mom's conversation.   I kept thinking talk of babies & childbirth usually happens between sisters and  not mother & daughter.  

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Then don't lie about it and make it something it isn't. RN = 4+ years of school, LPN = 6-8 months maybe?

In her world it may be assumed.  Mission trip to Philippines notwithstanding, her world is a very small one.  It seems everyone knows everyone else, conferences, weddings, etc.  

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Tigerlily's post explaining the situation to her husband covers the answer to this one, too.  

ETA  Anybody think it's a possibility that it's both cheaper for production and provides extra residuals under 19 Kids and Counting to include the old footage?  I also think it's a stealth testing of the waters regarding bringing the whole family back (with a couple notable exceptions of course).   

The typical reality tv contract provides for an appearance fee for the people who appear on camera. It’s a flat fee and there are no residual payments to those people no matter how many times a show may be shown. I picked up this info from online discussions and research. This flat fee thing helps make reality tv shows potential cash cows for cable networks. I think TLC Lost a load of potential ad revenue when they had to quit airing repeats of 19K&C after  Joshgate. The Duggars didn’t lose any money because they wouldn’t have been paid residuals for the repeats. Of course there was other fallout from Joshgate.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The typical reality tv contract provides for an appearance fee for the people who appear on camera. It’s a flat fee and there are no residual payments to those people no matter how many times a show may be shown. I picked up this info from online discussions and research. This flat fee thing helps make reality tv shows potential cash cows for cable networks. I think TLC Lost a load of potential ad revenue when they had to quit airing repeats of 19K&C after  Joshgate. The Duggars didn’t lose any money because they wouldn’t have been paid residuals for the repeats. Of course there was other fallout from Joshgate.

I'm simply wondering if there is a possibility there was payment to use that footage in Counting On?  The deal for 19K&C was a separate deal.      

Edited by Tikichick

I hate the way this show has always tried to act as though there were ever 19 children being corralled at once. Josh was out of the house before Josie was born, and by that time, there were several older teens and adults. Michelle and Boob never had to take 19 kids to an airport. Jana and the older girls did all the work anyway. And they had to run for airplanes and whatnot because they always left the house at the time they should have been checking in. 

That scene of Jackson lost at the airport always kills me. He went straight to his real mom, Jana, as soon as he was "found." And he probably would have been lost much longer if someone hadn't made an announcement over the PA system about him. They hadn't even noticed he was missing!

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I'm simply wondering if there is a possibility there was payment to use that footage in Counting On?  The deal for 19K&C was a separate deal.      

It will depend on who owns what kind of rights in the footage. The production company may have retained rghts to use bits in future episodes, or the company may have obtained clearances from TLC to use the clips. I don't think the Duggars have any ownership of the footage.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Squirrely said:

I hate the way this show has always tried to act as though there were ever 19 children being corralled at once. Josh was out of the house before Josie was born, and by that time, there were several older teens and adults. Michelle and Boob never had to take 19 kids to an airport. Jana and the older girls did all the work anyway. 

Grandma often traveled with them as well, so Michelle and Boob had the equivalent of five nannies on hand. Josh, JD and Joe were old enough to look after themselves, so pre-Josie that was what, eleven kids to wrangle? 2/3 kids per J'Slave/Grandma. I agree it's annoying the way they act like one person had to shepherd the entire group.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

"...eleventy brothers!"  (You totally made me laugh out loud!)  Thank you for that.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

It will depend on who owns what kind of rights in the footage. The production company may have retained rghts to use bits in future episodes, or the company may have obtained clearances from TLC to use the clips. I don't think the Duggars have any ownership of the footage.

So what you're saying is that there's a possibility production bought used and is saving the rest?   Jim Bob's reaction to that possibility not working in favor of his wallet makes me smile so hard.

Coupling that with last week's probable budget maneuver with the at home pop up shop makes me wonder if TLC has reduced the budget compared to past seasons?  

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Squirrely said:

I hate the way this show has always tried to act as though there were ever 19 children being corralled at once. Josh was out of the house before Josie was born, and by that time, there were several older teens and adults. Michelle and Boob never had to take 19 kids to an airport. Jana and the older girls did all the work anyway. And they had to run for airplanes and whatnot because they always left the house at the time they should have been checking in. 

That scene of Jackson lost at the airport always kills me. He went straight to his real mom, Jana, as soon as he was "found." And he probably would have been lost much longer if someone hadn't made an announcement over the PA system about him. They hadn't even noticed he was missing!

Clearly they're banking on an audience that has math skills at or below their own to perpetuate their mythology about life with 19 kids.  Also on airlines that run on Duggar time apparently.   

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Then don't lie about it and make it something it isn't. RN = 4+ years of school, LPN = 6-8 months maybe?

I think a CNA (certified nursing assistant) requires 6-8 mos.  An LPN requires 2 yrs AA degree. RN 4yrs Bachelors degree. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

No, it was paid for once and TLC owns it forever to do with as they please.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

An LPN requires 2 yrs AA degree.

An LPN requires a specific course of study but not an AA diploma.  Although many get that by doing a community college program.  Abbie went to a technical type school.

• Love 9

Only this show could make going to a beautiful beach so utterly boring.  Kendra had to explain to us, yet again, the modesty rules.  Joe says let's build a sand castle, Kendra- that sounds fun.  It felt totally scripted. 

Kendra's poor perpetually pregnant mother probably should not be birthing more and more babies. She had that bad car accident with her first, and she could hardly walk now at what- 26 weeks?  I wonder if she is ignoring her Dr's advice.

• Love 13