Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: To Grandmother’s House We Go

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I hated the way Abby kept saying that she is a licensed nurse, and always omitted that she is a licensed practical nurse. Does she want us to believe that she is an RN? Quite a big difference. 

She is a licensed nurse. She didn’t say, registered, going by what you’ve written. I didn’t see the episode.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I noticed a conversation between Kendall and her mother, which made me sad. Her mother was explaining that every pregnancy after Kendra has been very difficult because she had a car accident while pregnant with Kendra. There’s been at least 5 pregnancies since Kendra! The woman appeared to be in serious pain, but I guess God just wants her to keep birthing those babies for Christ. 

She's going to keep getting pregnant until menopause. I suspect Michelle started going through menopause shortly after miscarrying Jubilee. We all know JB and Michelle were still trying to reach that elusive #20. Kelly Bates had at least one miscarriage after Jeb.

The more pain the more worthy you are to God or some nonsense I don't know. These people don't think logically or rationally.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, louannems said:

Only this show could make going to a beautiful beach so utterly boring.  Kendra had to explain to us, yet again, the modesty rules.  Joe says let's build a sand castle, Kendra- that sounds fun.  It felt totally scripted. 

Kendra's poor perpetually pregnant mother probably should not be birthing more and more babies. She had that bad car accident with her first, and she could hardly walk now at what- 26 weeks?  I wonder if she is ignoring her Dr's advice.

They're an awkward family, aren't they? Not quite as bad as the Swansons, but still strange enough where you get the vibe "fun" is a foreign concept. 

The whole "we're special because we wear our modesty like a badge of honor" is so played out. Maybe Fundies are too busy averting their eyes to notice, but gasp! not every woman wears a string bikini to the beach. Swim skirts and tank tops are common, especially if you're going to be doing activities where you don't want your cash and prizes falling out. Aside from that ridiculous Wholesomewear, none of these people would stand out from the crowd.

• LOL 5
  • Love 14
24 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I think a CNA (certified nursing assistant) requires 6-8 mos.  An LPN requires 2 yrs AA degree. RN 4yrs Bachelors degree. 

The LPN program in N.J. is 12 mon. but it’s become obsolete because many hospitals are not hiring them. The hospitals are also insisting that all nurses have BSN degrees. Our neighbor who is an RN from a 3 yr. hospital program and has worked at her hospital for 25 yrs. was required to get her BSN.. She took  it on line at age 57.

. There is also the option of a 2 yr.  associates degree given at the community colleges.These programs are paired up with local hospitals. At  the end of the 2 yrs. if you pass your boards you are an RN.

My grandson’s friend is in that program now. He plans to get his BSN on line after the 2 yrs. So, essentially it’s a total of 4 yrs, but after 2,  he can work as an RN while pursuing his BSN degree. It’s a lot cheaper that way.

I am old, and a product of a 3 yr. hospital based program as well. They worked us hard, but I got tons of hands on experience, and felt confident right from the beginning.

I think the problem with Abbie working, is the fact that she, in the course of her job may see something ( Nike ) offensive to her fundie eyes, like some poor male’s bare behind or worse. That would not go well with the Duggars.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, bythelake said:

I think the problem with Abbie working, is the fact that she, in the course of her job may see something ( Nike ) offensive to her fundie eyes, like some poor male’s bare behind or worse. That would not go well with the Duggars.

The horse has been let out of the barn on that one. She probably already saw very NIKE things during her practicums.

It's really something when she expresses that she doesn't want to quit her job but it's expected that she will do it anyway.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Only this show could make going to a beautiful beach so utterly boring.  Kendra had to explain to us, yet again, the modesty rules.  Joe says let's build a sand castle, Kendra- that sounds fun.  It felt totally scripted. 

Kendra's poor perpetually pregnant mother probably should not be birthing more and more babies. She had that bad car accident with her first, and she could hardly walk now at what- 26 weeks?  I wonder if she is ignoring her Dr's advice.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. 

• Love 6

Just to add to the nursing discussion, you can get an RN degree from a community college in 2 years ( Associate Degree in Nursing or ADN) or go to university for 4 years and get a  Bachelor of Nursing degree or BSN.  And, of course, there are schools that offer ADN to BSN programs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, I missed her! I did see the trays of turkey bacon, though. 

Snarky of TLC to add the Jackson Lost in the Airport footage. They could have stopped with Jessa just telling the story.

Yes they showed Mechelle cracking a egg 🙄she probably heard the cameras were around after Jana cooked all that food and pushed her out the way for camera time. 

16 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Abbie seemed really wistful about leaving her job.  She knew what she was SUPPOSED to say (“No, it wasn’t hard because I would be with John!”) but knew that she couldn’t without lying to herself and the producer.  I hope John means it when he says he would support her going back to work, but I HATE that Abbie pursuing her passion is his decision. 

I felt sorry for Abbie here. 

15 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

Jeremy’s family and Jinger’s genuine interactions with them is so monumentally different than any other aspect of the show. I smiled ear to ear at Jeremy’s grandmother’s reaction to meeting Felicity, Jeremy and his grandmother’s teasing of each other, and Jinger’s totally normal and affectionate interactions with the whole family.

I loved Jeremys family especially the grandma meeting Felcity that was so sweet, I was grinning from ear to ear too😁

9 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I noticed a conversation between Kendall and her mother, which made me sad. Her mother was explaining that every pregnancy after Kendra has been very difficult because she had a car accident while pregnant with Kendra. There’s been at least 5 pregnancies since Kendra! The woman appeared to be in serious pain, but I guess God just wants her to keep birthing those babies for Christ. 

Gosh that was sad all I could think was is Kendras parents mad? But then I realised they’re part of a stupid cult obsessed with women having as many blessings for the Lord! They’re nuts seriously. 

8 hours ago, Annabel11 said:

I've always had a soft spot for Jackson. I don't think he is treated well by his brothers. Note all the teasing about his size. So mean!! It must be awful growing up in that family. Why are they still on the air and JB needs to stay off the show. 

I don’t get the teasing though weren’t they all small at his age? Also JB teasing him as well! What kinda father does that! What an ass! 

Edited by Puffin
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I think a CNA (certified nursing assistant) requires 6-8 mos.  An LPN requires 2 yrs AA degree. RN 4yrs Bachelors degree. 

Abbie's program was 11 months. Someone looked it up once we had enough details to go sleuthing. 😀

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought you could be an RN in the Army but not yet earned a 4 yr degree. a while ago I had a friend who said she was doing an RN to BSN pgm...

• Useful 1

Jackson kept talking about driving on a farm...what farm ??? Yes, the Duggar Homestead is rural but I wouldn't call it a farm... raising children isn't an agriculture product for consumption ...

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 18
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

An LPN requires a specific course of study but not an AA diploma.  Although many get that by doing a community college program.  Abbie went to a technical type school.

Oh, ok. I just figured she had more than CNA training which it sounds like she does. 

20 minutes ago, sATL said:

I thought you could be an RN in the Army but not yet earned a 4 yr degree. a while ago I had a friend who said she was doing an RN to BSN pgm...

Yeah, you can still be an RN without being a BSN. The RN used to be looked at more as a terminal degree, but I gather that more places are now suggesting that people get a BSN instead. Or to add the BSN to their RN, which is what your friend was doing apparently.

But you can definitely work with an RN only. And I think you can get an MSN on top of an RN, too, without picking up a BSN along the way. 

There are a lot more specialties now than there ever were, and a lot more very specific technical requirements in many of them, so I suppose that at least partly explains why there are so many different levels and kinds of degrees out there today. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2

Swim skirts and tank tops are common, especially if you're going to be doing activities where you don't want your cash and prizes falling out.

LOL! I am now actively looking for opportunities to fit this phrase into as many conversations as possible.

• LOL 13
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Jackson kept talking about driving on a farm...what farm ??? Yes, the Duggar Homestead is rural but I wouldn't call it a farm... raising children isn't an agriculture product for consumption ...

As someone who lives in rural Arkansas, I wouldn't consider their place rural at all. They're right on the edge of a rather sizable metro area. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, sATL said:

Kid Farm?

• LOL 18
  • Love 6

Ok, Im going to acknowledge the tweepadok* in the room. Josiah commented that Jackson reminds him a lot of himself. I agree with Si.

* i.e. elephant - Amy Farrah Fowler rocks

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I hated the way Abby kept saying that she is a licensed nurse, and always omitted that she is a licensed practical nurse. Does she want us to believe that she is an RN? Quite a big difference. 

Most RNs I know say "Registered Nurse". When I hear "Licensed Nurse", I automatically think LPN since because "Licensed" is part of the title. I doubt any subterfuge is intended.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Who was the lady at the Vuolo dining table sitting between Jinger and Grandma Vuolo? She had grayish hair was was a bit older? They should have at least introduced Jeremy's cousin, was her name Ann also? Is she a part of the heathen Catholic side of Jeremy's family? Are his grandparents Catholic still? These are some things I'd like to know about.

I agree that Jinger pronounces Felicity's name a bit strange exaggerating the "t".

This episode was all over the place time-wise. Summer at the beach, Thanksgiving in NJ. Just a mish mash of random things. We did NOT need Jessa at all; why do they stick her in episodes that she has nothing to do with. My opinion is that at this time, the Seewalds are the most boring and bring nothing to the TV table. Drop them and stick with the NJ and PA Vuolos instead.

• Love 11

I have worked in a good many hospitals, and LPNs are called that or practical nurses. Maybe it is just an area difference? Have never heard them in my long nursing career called licensed nurses..maybe only in Arkansas? Also here, state credited nursing assistants get a 6-8 week very limited course..bathing, bed changing, that sort of thing. Maybe taking vital signs?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, lascuba said:

Why does Jinger pronounce Felicity's name that way? "FeliciTEE." Is that her idea of speaking properly?

I was wondering if she had been asked to enunciate a little more during her voice overs, even though I haven't noticed her having as bad mush-mouth as some of her siblings...

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

I have worked in a good many hospitals, and LPNs are called that or practical nurses. Maybe it is just an area difference? Have never heard them in my long nursing career called licensed nurses..maybe only in Arkansas? Also here, state credited nursing assistants get a 6-8 week very limited course..bathing, bed changing, that sort of thing. Maybe taking vital signs?

Yes vital signs, positioning and transferring a patient properly, learning about abuse and neglect, how to feed, bathe, and dress a patient, dignity of the patient, proper body mechanics for lifting and repositioning, recognizing depression, dealing with dementia, infection control issues, catheter care, basic anatomy, use if equipment, such as a hoyer, charting.................then pass a state exam.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3

I wonder if Abby saying "licensed nurse" instead of LPN--if the former isn't a thing nurses say--is producer driven. I could see a producer telling her not to say LPN because the audience wouldn't know what that is, and to always say "licensed nurse" instead of just "nurse" because it sounds better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  1.030 M viewers and a .20 rating.   36th cable show of the day.

IMO those numbers would increase if they focused solely on the grandbabies.  Counting On: GrandDuggers.  That’s the only way you could get me to watch this snooze fest.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm from Appalachia, and it is common for families to call a large plot of land a farm, even if it is not being used for agriculture. It would be like saying homestead or family estate.  

Regarding LPNs, where I live they are often employed in long-term care facilities and by home health agencies, along with CNAs. Abby could work per diem providing respite/substituting for full-time nurses if she wanted to keep her license but only work when it is convenient for the show. When my daughter had private duty nurses, they were LPNs or CNAs, and staffing two shifts a day M-F and night shifts only on the weekend could be a nightmare. In rural areas, it's even harder to adequately staff an agency. Abby could probably have her pick of hours and assignments. I knew some nurses who only worked one weekend a month.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I wonder how much Abbie has to work (I guess it would be per license period - what ever that is) to keep her AR license current.  IF John want to keep doing  mission trips and if the work overseas count, that would be a way of getting a big nbr of hours in over a short period of time.

I can see the point of mission trip hours for not counting, though.

To bad her specialty isn't pediatrics or maternity. She would get hours in just being "there" around family almost every day.  

I guess LTC /home health / hospice facilities isn't part of their family-religious-belief system. On the premise that :

• (1) out of a boatload of children someone is going to be able to provide full time care when/if the time comes and
  • (2) the family multiply so quickly (ie 20 yrs of age to be come a  parent) , it could  be the grandkids or even great-grands could be assisting with the care--- 20 yrs a parent, 40 yrs a grand parent, 60 yrs to a great-grand, 80 great-great-grand .... people are now living longer..
Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, Fallacy said:

I thought the same. I think it's cruel of her husband to keep forcing pregnancies on her (we all know she doesn't have a choice... ). She looked like she felt miserable. All the rest of the family was enjoying the beach and she sat miserably holding a newborn on top of her pregnant stomach. 

• Love 3

I wonder if it's all just for show anyways. JD couldn't even bring himself to say he supports Abbie working. He couched it as he supported her "keeping her license up" and "serving others," like it's a jab at his manhood if the Little Lady brings home her own paycheck. 

Abbie could've easily worked up until her move to Arkansas, but she was pressured to quit shortly after her engagement. Employment and education are nothing but stop-gaps for women in their culture. 

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

I thought the same. I think it's cruel of her husband to keep forcing pregnancies on her (we all know she doesn't have a choice... ). She looked like she felt miserable. All the rest of the family was enjoying the beach and she sat miserably holding a newborn on top of her pregnant stomach. 

and did she say "4 contractions in 25 minutes" At 28 weeks ???? that is very concerning. She really should be thinking about being there safely and healthy for the 8 children she has, for the long term.   

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if it's all just for show anyways. JD couldn't even bring himself to say he supports Abbie working. He couched it as he supported her "keeping her license up" and "serving others," like it's a jab at his manhood if the Little Lady brings home her own paycheck. 

Abbie could've easily worked up until her move to Arkansas, but she was pressured to quit shortly after her engagement. Employment and education are nothing but stop-gaps for women in their culture. 

I wonder if some of "stay at home wife" & "quit your job once a ring is put on " , is b/c JD now sees himself as the oldest male Duggar who now must be perfect in everyone's eyes. Kinda like he must set the best example possible for his younger siblings - esp. the unmarried boys.

JB is also watching, looking for any kind of redemption over the JoshGate mess, and putting in his 2 cents.  

So JD finally get married now and therefore the wife must not work outside of the home. She can "serve" which probably means she cannot get paid .

In other words - Abbie becomes the new Anna - the DIL that everyone wants to have or be. Careful Kenda & Lauren... new sheriff in town.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

This whole debate about whether or not Abbie should give up her job is mute.  Given that she is expected to spit out blessings one after the other for the next 25 years, she won't have time to work outside the home, even if she wanted to.  

• Love 10

keep in mind TLC tends to mess with the timeline so it could Abbie was quitting her job closer to the wedding. 

34 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

This whole debate about whether or not Abbie should give up her job is mute.  Given that she is expected to spit out blessings one after the other for the next 25 years, she won't have time to work outside the home, even if she wanted to.  

This is true, although more like 15-20 years since she was 26 when she got married. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

For those who forget Justin, he was the howler who wore a sailor hat for approx 6 seasons of 19 Kids. That's all I remember him for, other than he seemed sweet and was the only one who paid attention to Jordyn after the Precious Miracle was born. He's really grown up! 

I'm amazed we didn't get a TH about how okay JD is with Abbie wearing scrub pants too. *eyeroll* Shockingly, I believe she is the first female in the family to appear that way on camera! I noticed her sister in them as well. 

I tell ya, I worked in a hospital for a few years and nothing made me question a nurse's competence more than a scrub skirt. I'm sure that makes me a judgemental asshole, but I can't help but wonder if they're the types to refuse to do anything that goes against their religion (read: indoctrination), and I would not want one of them caring for me or someone I loved. Sorrynotsorry. It's too easy in the US for their bullshit to get in the way, with pharmacists getting away with not filling prescriptions, Catholic hospitals refusing procedures, etc. 

Edited by Squirrely
typo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 20

wasn't there a time though when nurses (all license levels) wore a dress/skirt? And I remember seeing pictures of the  nuns who worked in hospitals or doing missions..  At one time they wore caps too - what was on the cap kinda told the type (license/level) of nurse they were...

Are the nursing pins (given out at the completion ceremony) out of style now too ?

1597848364_nursescaps.jpg.28f8adbea8fc76cd19a8babf8c30ea76.jpg

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, sATL said:

wasn't there a time though when nurses (all license levels) wore a dress/skirt? And I remember seeing pictures of the  nuns who worked in hospitals or doing missions..  At one time they wore caps too - what was on the cap kinda told the type (license/level) of nurse they were...

Are the nursing pins (given out at the completion ceremony) out of style now too ?

A pinning ceremony still happens.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

keep in mind TLC tends to mess with the timeline so it could Abbie was quitting her job closer to the wedding. 

This is true, although more like 15-20 years since she was 26 when she got married. 

Practically a spinster. 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, sATL said:

Nursing schools each have a distinctive cap that their graduates wear at various school ceremonies, like the one where they get their nursing pins which are also unique to the school.  Back in the day, when a nurse got a job, she wore  her cap and pin with her uniform.  It was sort of a point of pride and a way to identify fellow grads.  When I was in high school, I babysat for kids whose mother was an ICU nurse at Cleveland Clinic (big time rep even then).  She had to wear a white nursing dress, white hose and shoes along with her cap and pin while working.  Needless to say, her uniforms got pretty messy over the course of a shift.  I remember her washing her nurse' cap in the kitchen sink and then soaking it with liquid starch and 'sticking' it to the door of her fridge so it would dry flat.  When she was ready for work, she's grab it and fold it into shape as she walked out the door.

It is quite likely that Abby can maintain her nursing license even if she doesn't work for the next few years.  Most nursing boards allow a nurse to get an inactive status license if they're taking time off to raise kids, etc. Licensure intervals vary from state to state but it is usually several years long.  If she got an Arkansas license now, she could get active status since she has so recently been working.  Once she doesn't work within the timeframe that the license covers, she can ask for inactive status which is granted automatically presuming she is in good standing.  Most states require that inactive nurses participate in a certain number of educational hours which could mean attending conferences or doing online courses, etc.  It's pretty simple to get the required hours at minimal to no cost.  Then, if she decides to return to work, she asks to go onto active status and, if she shows she's done the courses, she is all set.  She does have to work a certain number of hours as an LPN over the next licensure period to stay active.

Doing stuff like caring for family or even mission trips would not count for a license because 1. she would have to be employed and 2. someone would have to provide monitoring and oversight of her work to certify that she was meeting the standards.

• Useful 11
  • Love 5
On 3/18/2019 at 11:12 PM, Adeejay said:

I just can’t imagine the world in which my daughter and I would be pregnant at the same time. 

This!  And, she was HUGE for only being 28 weeks.  And, if you have all those issue with pregnancy, why the heck would you go so far from home??  Why the heck would you keep having babies????  Dumb question, I know!

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Julia67 said:

And, she was HUGE for only being 28 weeks.  And, if you have all those issue with pregnancy, why the heck would you go so far from home?? 

Okay, I'm glad it wasn't just me thinking she was gigantic.  I was shocked when Kendra said her mother was 28 weeks along.  How freakin' big would she be if she made it to 40 weeks? I know her mother is a small woman, but man.

The absolute saddest thing to me about her mother continuing to have children is that, were she to go into premature labour, odds are it would be the child that would suffer severe consequences and not her. And I guess that goes with their "everything is in the hands of God" thing, but if I knew that any subsequent pregnancies meant I could go into preterm labour I would think long and hard before getting pregnant again. Which isn't to say I wouldn't choose to try to have another child or two, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go on to try to have 7 more children. And I definitely would want to make sure I was doing everything in my power to NOT go into premature labour. Which would probably mean staying fairly close to home and my doctor and the hospital with with my doctor was affiliated, so that if anything went wrong my medical history was easy accessible.

Has she had the baby? I can't keep track of what is old footage or recent footage. Maybe she was pregnant with twins?  (In which case, given her history, she definitely shouldn't have made the trek to Florida.)

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Has she had the baby? I can't keep track of what is old footage or recent footage. Maybe she was pregnant with twins?  (In which case, given her history, she definitely shouldn't have made the trek to Florida.)

Yes, she had a son named Isaiah. The footage is from around July/August last year.

This picture is from early December. Kendra's dad is on the far left with the baby and her other little brother is on the right (red vest) holding Garrett. 

Screenshot_20190321-163949_Instagram.thumb.jpg.63fef6c8f6a1094816071d12d82958a9.jpg

2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Yes, she had a son named Isaiah. The footage is from around July/August last year.

This picture is from early December. Kendra's dad is on the far left with the baby and her other little brother is on the right (red vest) holding Garrett. 

Screenshot_20190321-163949_Instagram.thumb.jpg.63fef6c8f6a1094816071d12d82958a9.jpg

Ugh, is cool Josh throwing up gang signs?  Aaaaand Anna may look different because she is on trend with the heavy brows.  I hope they HAD to move because they can’t even afford the $55,000 house and are JB tenants.

Edited by Jenilane6