Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: The Book of the Apocalypse, Chapter Two: The Omega

• Start Topic

In the Season 2 finale, Lynn goes head to head with Dr. Jace once and for all. Meanwhile, Gambi risks his life to save Jennifer. Lastly, Tobias makes a major move to cripple Freeland and kill Black Lightning, requiring the superhero family to step up like never before.

Airing Monday, March 18, 2019.

So, teleporting guy is actually working for the Markovians and has taken Dr. Jace to them?

Jefferson and Jennifer defeat Tobias at least, but I have a feeling he won't be down for long.  As much as I get why Jefferson doesn't want Jennifer to cross that line, Tobias is someone who is always going to be a danger as long as he is breathing.

Looks like Odell has Khalil's body frozen with the other pod people.  Safe to say both of them will be factors next season.  Bill Duke is still being perfectly creepy here.

Oh, Lala!  Maybe next time bring a bazooka!

Of course Gambi wasn't going to let a little bit of radiation poison stop him from sleuthing!  Not was the Reverend going to let a thing like being in a coma stop him from getting another pulpit speech at the end!

Overall, kind of a weird season.  There were some moments that were the best that comic book shows have to offer, but there was also some sloppy moments, and a general sense that the TPTB weren't fully sure where they were going this season.  A lot of rushed moments (Lala's return) or ones that I would have preferred to see more of (Jennifer's training and introduction into superhero-ing), and moments that almost felt like filler (the saga with Lowry and Jefferson's demotion) or are being pushed back to next season, so it feels incomplete here (Anissa/Grace and Grace having powers.)  Hopefully they'll smooth things out next season.

• Love 5

Well, looks like the good guys finally win. I mean, the impending invasion from the nation of Markovia is going to put a damper of the summer. But hey . ..  a win's a win.

Kinda wish Jenn would think up a better name than "Lightning." Yes, I know, comic canon, but still. "Lightning" is better than "Orange Lightning." And I liked the father/daughter "please" snark before they double-teamed Tobias' ass. And looks like he's going to be gone for a long, long, LONG time. Yeah, right. He's the type of villain you need every now and then, and thus no prison would hold him, no murder attempt successful. If you try the "sprinkler with gasoline plus match" trick on Tobias, he wouldn't fry like Diaz over on Arrow. No, you'd just singe his beard and really piss him off.

Speaking of murder attempts . . . had La La killed Tobias, wouldn't he join the collective as a soul tattoo? I mean, a living Tobias is hell enough. A Tobias that follows you forever and talks nonstop shit at you? I think that's a definition of hell right there.

I also dug the big fight with the Masters of Disaster. I had to rewind to see Anissa bee-slap New Wave. And elbow Heatstroke in the nuts.

I'm probably going to forget about this series once Legends of Tomorrow starts up again, but I'll be back. I mean, maybe Principal Lowery would be the first fatality of the Freeland/Markovia war.

• Love 2

Huh, Markovia as next season's big bad. At least that pretty much guarantees we'll see Geo-Force realized in live action? Then maybe Jen will befriend an amnesiac girl with glowing powers of her own, or something.

I actually thought for a second Lala's tattooed souls were gonna emerge from his body and take down Tobias, but this way works as well. Lynn laying down serious fist on Jace was perfectly satisfying anyway.

I'm just glad there's gonna be a Season 3, what with all the unresolved weirdness this time out, Grace first and foremost. Will Teleporting Guy ever get a name? And I still question whether Looker is really down and out permanently.

• Love 2

LaLa, the Reverand, Khalil -- whenever someone comes back from the dead, I just get more annoyed that Lady Eve is still dead. SIGH

So... they just let some of the pod kids ... just walk away?? That's just a really lazy writing decision.

Does Jen's suit actually light up, or is it more a glow-in-the-dark type deal? Either way, it's a cool effect.

The metahuman fights were great, including Lightning/Black Lightning double team against Tobias.

I knew they wouldn't actually let Jen kill Tobias, but I was surprised that she got so close to succeeding so soon. So that's the ASA holding Tobias, right? (It wasn't clear, unless I missed something.) Tobias being captured is actually kind of a letdown for me. I don't think think he really lived up to his full villain potential this season, so to me, it doesn't feel earned.

I wish I could be more excited about the threads they started for next season, but I've seen how they handled the arcs for this season, so I'm not expecting any satisfying conclusions/resolutions.

Before Odell ruined it with the plug for Season 3, I was glad for the happy family moment for the Pierces at the end.

• Love 3

I came here to complain about now staying dead except Lady Eve too.   Didn't Lazarus guy even say Eve gave him the tech to clone/resurrect people?   Why wouldn't he bring her back.  And how does Tobias know who is reviving Lala?  Is it under his orders just so he can laugh at him and spout off Latin?   That whole plot line is confusing. 

My other complaint?   Does Gambi never get invited to dinner?   I mean the guy just took severe radiation burns helping you out, on top of everything else he does and you can't give the guy some cobbler?

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

And how does Tobias know who is reviving Lala? 

I assume that he went to Lazarus Guy to resurrect LaLa the first time; and that there's only one resurrection lab, so Tobias would know it's that Guy.

5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

My other complaint?   Does Gambi never get invited to dinner?   I mean the guy just took severe radiation burns helping you out, on top of everything else he does and you can't give the guy some cobbler?

LOL! I agree with you, but Gambi's also supposed to be lying low and presumed dead. Maybe they'll bring him some later.

• Love 4

There are just too many superpowered metas running around, it is hard to appreciate their gifts. Now they are going to double it by introducing just as many metas from Markovia. I think Season 3 is going to be an overcrowded mess.

• Love 2

Annisa was in the water bubble for a while. How did she not drown?

The 4 metas gave Black Lightning a better fight than Tobias. Disappointing!

Gambi made sure not to give Jennifer a "high five" after she got the power back on.

No record scratch when Odell walked in? The music just faded.

Odell has poor timing, he couldn't wait until after they had eaten? Just ruined their dinner (food probably burned).

I wouldn't be surprised if Cutter breaks out Tobias from the Pit next season

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Maverick said:

I came here to complain about now staying dead except Lady Eve too.   Didn't Lazarus guy even say Eve gave him the tech to clone/resurrect people?   Why wouldn't he bring her back.  And how does Tobias know who is reviving Lala?  Is it under his orders just so he can laugh at him and spout off Latin?   That whole plot line is confusing. 

Gambi probably had Jeff's cobbler and doesn't want to come to dinner that often.

So, Odell has been watching the Pierce daughters change and killed the team monitoring the cameras at the house so he can just drop the "I know who you are and you're working for us" crap in the last scene?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Trini said:

So... they just let some of the pod kids ... just walk away?? That's just a really lazy writing decision.

I know right?  At the end, when Lynn says some of them must be in hiding - I'm thinking what??  I understand no one was supposed to touch them when they first woke up, but no one tried to talk to them, not even Odell?  Plus Lynn seemed kind of casual about the whole thing.

Oh, LaLa.  You should know to never let that bad guy pontificate.  Maybe a bullet would have bounced off of Tobias's head but still.

I liked Lynn beating the crap out of Jace.  "I think you got her" hee hee.

I also really like Uncle Gambi's interactions with Jenn.  And yes, get Uncle Gambi a piece of cobbler or something!

Gambi and Jeff need to address the whole "shut the power grid down, shuts down Black Lightning" thing.  I know Jenn can power him up but I don't remember how long that lasts. 

There was a whole lot going on this season.   Metas, pod kids, Khalil, etc etc and looks like all will be back next season.  Hopefully they tighten it up.

As usual for me, the best was the Pierce family interactions and it was nice to see them happy at the end, right before Odell ruined everything.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, raven said:

Gambi and Jeff need to address the whole "shut the power grid down, shuts down Black Lightning" thing.  I know Jenn can power him up but I don't remember how long that lasts. 

Oh yeah, this. I think this is new information? I know that Jefferson manipulates electricity, but I thought that he can also generate some too. Even with the grid shut down, I didn't think that he'd be powerless.

No, I think that aspect of Jeff's powers was mentioned at some point, maybe even last season—I remember when Looker's goons were going in for the kill and I thought, "You dummies."

26 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Or not get electrocuted when Black Lightning uses electricity to rip the water bubble apart.

This. Hyper-controlled electrolysis? Of course, I don't understand how an electrical forcefield could protect against Heatstroke's flames either...

2 hours ago, raven said:

I liked Lynn beating the crap out of Jace.  "I think you got her" hee hee.

I also really like Uncle Gambi's interactions with Jenn.  And yes, get Uncle Gambi a piece of cobbler or something!

Black Lightning wanted to help Lynn but didn't know if he should.

Gambi is probably part microwave now (from all the radiation) so his food will always be hot.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

Oh yeah, this. I think this is new information? I know that Jefferson manipulates electricity, but I thought that he can also generate some too. Even with the grid shut down, I didn't think that he'd be powerless.

I think Gambi pointed this out when he found out Jen could generate her own electricity, because he said it was different from what Black Lightning does.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Black Lightning wanted to help Lynn but didn't know if he should.

Gambi is probably part microwave now (from all the radiation) so his food will always be hot.

Black Lightning knows not to get between two women fighting.

Yay Khalil! I didn't like him very much at first, but he grew on me and by the end, I was rooting for him and Jen. I want to see him and Jen fight side by side next season.

I know that Tobias is still alive so that they can bring him back later, but I really, really, really want him to just stay in the Pit Prison forever. They can cut to him a couple of times where we can see him being bored, but I don't want him to break out and I don't want him to fight Black Lightning. I just want him to be gone. 

On 3/19/2019 at 9:42 AM, mxc90 said:

I found that scene disappointing. She's been training to hold her breath, and when she holds her breath her powers are stronger. I wanted her to shatter the water bubble, not near-drown until dad rescued her.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I found that scene disappointing. She's been training to hold her breath, and when she holds her breath her powers are stronger. I wanted her to shatter the water bubble, not near-drown until dad rescued her.

I agree. The writers forgot to check their notes.

19 hours ago, Rockstar99435 said:

Yay Khalil! I didn't like him very much at first, but he grew on me and by the end, I was rooting for him and Jen. I want to see him and Jen fight side by side next season.

I know that Tobias is still alive so that they can bring him back later, but I really, really, really want him to just stay in the Pit Prison forever. They can cut to him a couple of times where we can see him being bored, but I don't want him to break out and I don't want him to fight Black Lightning. I just want him to be gone. 

If Tobias is going to stay on the show, I'm glad that he at least gets captured and sent to prison occasionally.

Khalil! I did not see that coming, and I feel like an idiot for not figuring it out! No one stays dead on this show. Well, except for Lady Eve, for reasons I cant fathom, but everyone else always pops up again! 

Lala coming back again seemed pretty anticlimactic. I mean, yeah the revenge speech is well and good, but maybe just shoot and then give the speech? This episode kind of felt like two episodes squished together into one, with lots of stuff happening but not much follow up.

Of course Gambi is hardly even down for five minutes after something as small as massive radiation poisoning. He very well could be Batman, we would have no clue! I always like his interactions with Jenn and Annisa, they're always so warm and familiar. 

The metahuman fight was great, as was Jefferson and Jenn beating the crap out of Tobias. And is he really going to be gone for awhile? God I hope so, because seeing his smug face falling as he realized how boned he was felt ridiculously satisfying. Really, its on him for being a terrible boss. He abuses, belittles, and kills all of his employees, usually for stupid little things, no way was his crime empire sustainable! No one wants to work in those conditions! 

Lynn beating the crap out of Jace was so great, especially Jefferson's reaction to it. His face was like "ummm, honey....?"

Weird, rather disjointed season, but it had a lot of great moments that made up for the weirdness. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2019 at 11:07 PM, Maverick said:

I mean the guy just took severe radiation burns helping you out, on top of everything else he does and you can't give the guy some cobbler?

On 3/19/2019 at 3:40 PM, ketose said:

Gambi probably had Jeff's cobbler and doesn't want to come to dinner that often.

You stole my comment!!!

On 3/19/2019 at 6:42 AM, mxc90 said:

On 3/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, AnimeMania said:

Or not get electrocuted when Black Lightning uses electricity to rip the water bubble apart.

On 3/19/2019 at 4:06 PM, PhoneCop said:

I don't understand how an electrical forcefield could protect against Heatstroke's flames either...

Really, really strong Plot Armor!

This might just be the most disjointed episode of the series. It was all over the place. I do hope next season is tighter.

Also, it's not just Lady Eve that has remained dead. There's Tobias' sister, Tobias' adopted daughter and that teacher that have all died and not come back. I feel like this show has a problem with its more grey female characters, although I do like Cutter and Dr Jace. Hopefully, we see more of them next season.

• Love 1
On 3/18/2019 at 11:33 PM, Lantern7 said:

Kinda wish Jenn would think up a better name than "Lightning." Yes, I know, comic canon, but still. "Lightning" is better than "Orange Lightning.

Yeah Lightning as the name was indeed disapointing.  It just does not seem like it will play as well as in the comics.  In the comics it worked because of the obvious synergy of the names Thunder and Lightning which worked not only with her sister but with JSA teammate Jameem Thunder.  However in the comics she really did not team up with her dad much being on her own with the aforementioned JSA.   Black Lightning and Lightning working together as names just seems derivative and unimaginatively bad.  So I hoped maybe they would go with something new for the show... like maybe Generator.   I mean that gives you the obvious word play with the Jen/Gen in her name, and it also describes her powers much better.  I mean Gambi literally compared her output to a nuclear generator.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Xenith22 said:

Yeah Lightning as the name was indeed disapointing.  It just does not seem like it will play as well as in the comics.  In the comics it worked because of the obvious synergy of the names Thunder and Lightning which worked not only with her sister but with JSA teammate Jameem Thunder.  However in the comics she really did not team up with her dad much being on her own with the aforementioned JSA.   Black Lightning and Lightning working together as names just seems derivative and unimaginatively bad.  So I hoped maybe they would go with something new for the show... like maybe Generator.   I mean that gives you the obvious word play with the Jen/Gen in her name, and it also describes her powers much better.  I mean Gambi literally compared her output to a nuclear generator.   

Why not just Jenerator?

• LOL 1

Maybe Jen can insist on being called Lightning and the team just ignores her requests and call her whatever they feel like, like "Nite Lite". It would be a good source of comedy as they make-up different joke names for her. Then when Jen goes out on her own, her comic name can becomes canon. 

• Love 3