Type keyword(s) to search

Tuca & Bertie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Illustrator/author/podcaster/horse enthusiast Lisa Hanawalt, best known for designing the Netflix hit BoJack Horseman, is the creator of this similarly animal-oriented Netflix adult animated series centering on the friends and neighbors Tuca (a toucan, voiced by Tiffany Haddish) and Bertie (a songbird, voiced by Ali Wong). Guest voices include Tig Notaro, Tessa Thompson, Reggie Watts, Nicole Byer, John Early, Amber Ruffin, Jermaine Fowler, and Richard E. Grant.

Airs FRI / MAY 3, 2019

Agreed - it got much better after the first couple of episodes.  On rewatching, I found the pilot episode almost unwatchable given how much I liked the rest of the series and skipped through it.  

• Love 1

I watched the series over the last couple of days and I love it so much. It's like an animated animal version of Broad City. I knew what the Jelly Lake backstory was going to be before it was revealed, but that didn't make it any less heartbreaking.

I love the leads, Tiffany Haddish and Ali Wong. I highly recommend their comedy specials that are also on Netflix.

• Love 3

I was unsure after the first few episodes, as it felt like it went so hard on gross/surreal humor, but I am really glad  stuck it out because it becomes really great as it goes on and starts becoming a bit more serious and character driven. Still wacky and funny, but also with a lot more heart. Its basically Broad City but animated and the main characters are bird people.

• Love 2

Attend #WarnerMediaRISE  https://rise.warnermedia.com/

If you go to "Content on Demand" and go down to the [adult swim] section

you can learn about the challenges of creating animation during a pandemic,

you will find the "Tuca & Bertie" first look buried in this panel entitled:

ADULT SWIM: ANIMATING FROM HOME       40 MIN

Adult Swim presents a lively discussion featuring the network head, show creators and voice talent discussing the challenges and triumphs of producing their hit adult animated series during the COVID-19 crisis. Also, enjoy exclusive previews of what fans can expect from their new seasons premiering in 2021. Panelists include Michael Ouweleen, President, Adult Swim, Lisa Hanawalt, Creator, Tuca & Bertie, Dan Harmon, Co-Creator, Rick and Morty, Sarah Chalke, Voice Cast, Rick and Morty, Chris Parnell, Voice Cast, Rick and Morty, moderated by Terri Schwartz, IGN.

• Love 1

S02.E02: Planteau

Everybody goes to Planteau for some bachelor/bachelorette weekend fun; Tuca's sobriety and Bertie's social anxiety threaten to stand in the way of a good time.

Original Airdate: Sunday, June 20 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

S02.E03: Kyle

Bertie hits a wall at work and decides to channel her inner bird/bro, while Tuca's passions steer her into a high-octane new job.

Original Airdate: Sunday, June 27 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

S02.E04: Nighttime Friend

Tuca deals with her nightly insomnia and loneliness by exploring Bird Town after hours; Bertie handles an IBS attack; Speckle gets a new pedometer watch.

Original Airdate: Sunday, July 4 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

S02.E05: Vibe Check

Bertie's vibrator is giving her intrusive-yet-titillating thoughts; Tuca wonders if her new friendship could be something more; Speckle is into his new video game. 

Original Airdate: Sunday, July 11 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

Can someone remind me what Pastry Pete did to Bertie in season one?

I recall him coaxing Bertie to smell food by guiding her head toward it, which is clearly inappropriate, but the show is suggesting that something much darker happened.

Was there something more that I'm forgetting?

S02.E06: The Moss

Tuca and Bertie battle a mysterious new apartment manager; Speckle races to finish building his dream house.

Original Airdate: Sunday, July 18 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

S02.E07: Sleepovers

Tuca is caught up in the love bubble of her hot new romance, while Bertie reminisces about their friendship; Bertie buys a lot of milk. Less

Original Airdate: Sunday, July 25 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

S02.E08: Corpse Week

The gang visits Tuca and Bertie's families during Corpse Week, where morbid imagery meets complicated family dynamics.

Original Airdate: Sunday, August 1 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

On 7/17/2021 at 9:30 PM, Blakeston said:

Can someone remind me what Pastry Pete did to Bertie in season one?

I recall him coaxing Bertie to smell food by guiding her head toward it, which is clearly inappropriate, but the show is suggesting that something much darker happened.

Was there something more that I'm forgetting?

He was a touchy and creepy boss who got off on his power, and he did the same thing to the younger intern at the bakery (the roux thing), who told him to back off. Bertie actually stuck up for Pete in that instance, basically saying "that's just how he is" even though she knew it was wrong. The younger intern called her out. If I remember right, Pastry Pete basically pinned them both down with the roux - "smell this, you have to smell it to know when it's done" with his hand on both of their heads so they couldn't move.

• Love 1

S02.E09: The Dance

Bertie hasn't seen Tuca in weeks and she isn't sure whether to give her space or fight for their friendship; some drama goes down at the annual Bird Town Carnival.

Original Airdate: Sunday, August 8 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

S02.E10: The Flood

Bird Town is overwhelmed by a natural disaster; while the city is under siege, Bertie helps Tuca deal with some personal ghosts and unpack a big issue in their friendship.

Original Airdate: Sunday, August 15 at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim

I nearly burst into tears during Tuca's imaginespot when Bertie pulled her away from Kara so she could be herself. God Kara is The Worst. And she's shitty in such a perfectly female passive-aggressive way, (not a knock against my fellow females, just props to the writers on her being so real I wanted to punch her).

• Love 2

If I remember right, Pastry Pete basically pinned them both down with the roux - "smell this, you have to smell it to know when it's done" with his hand on both of their heads so they couldn't move.

Plus, he took credit for the pastry Bertie came up with while he was away and then blackballed her from all the commercial kitchen and restaurant supply stores.

ETA: Does anyone know if this will be available for purchase anywhere as a standalone? I don't get AdultSwim and, while I love this show, I am not upgrading my already ridiculous cable package just to watch it.

Edited by Eeksquire
On 8/10/2021 at 8:59 AM, bilgistic said:

The dance was one of the most beautiful and expressive things I've ever seen in animation. This show is such an incredible gem and I wish it got more attention.

Look up the English lyrics to the song that accompanied "The Dance," "Eso Que Tu Haces." Only perfect 😢

• Love 3

The critically acclaimed animated series stars Tiffany Haddish (Tuca) and Ali Wong (Bertie) as colorful bird girl besties who navigate the ups and downs of adulting in life, love, and everything in between. It's another confidently weird season of Tuca & Bertie, full of new emotional and vegetative growths! Tuca is dating someone new. Will this relationship bear fruit? Bertie has a new boss. Will they be sweet or salty? Speckle (Steven Yeun) is also going through some stuff!

Season three is packed with romance, chronic pain, ambition, large ducks, lustful trees, and hungry snakes!

• Love 3

Season 3 of Tuca and Bertie is coming to Adult Swim, tonight, July 11 at midnight. Two episode premiere. 

S03.E01: Leveling Up

Tuca's got a new job and love interest; Speckle's making a big splash at work; Bertie's barely treading water until she has the chance to prove herself.

Original Airdate: July 11, 2022    Midnight    Adult Swim

S03.E02: The Pain Garden

Tuca is forced to confront a mysterious chronic health issue; Bertie accidentally takes a liking to Tuca's beau.

Original Airdate: July 11, 2022    12:30am    Adult Swim

I continue to love this bizarrely wonderful show. I wish they'd have named Tuca's illness as endometriosis or PCOS instead of just leaving it vague. I love so much that Bertie is going to be a creative director (basically) for her baking hero!

Everywhere I have seen lists the next episode as episode 5, even thought it will be aired before episode 4. So I guess I should do so as well.

S03.E05: Leaf Raking

Tuca juggles lust and sexual dysfunction; Bertie and Speckle try their hands at parenting.

Original Airdate: July 25, 2022    Midnight    Adult Swim

(edited)

Tiffany Haddish takes a photo next to the Tuca & Bertie float in the bay outside of the San Diego Comic-Con Convention Center.

unnamed-4-2.jpg

Tuca-Bertie-panelists.jpg

Nicole Byer, Tiffany Haddish, Lisa Hanawalt, and Sasheer Zamata 

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1

S03.E07:  A Very Speckle Episode

Being an architect is tough and Speckle is close to losing it; Tuca dips into astrology and goes hard.

Original Airdate: August 15, 2022      Midnight    Adult Swim

S03.E09: Somebirdy's Getting Married

There's a wedding in Bird Town, which means being forced to mingle with ex-lovers while dressed in fancy attires.

Original Airdate: August 29, 2022      Midnight    Adult Swim

S03.E10: The Mole

(Season Finale)

Tuca's in trouble and Bertie has to dive deep to understand how to help her; Speckle does some wild stuff too.

Original Airdate: August 29, 2022      12:30am    Adult Swim