Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 3/18/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, WonderWuman73 said:

I was relieved to see the Maddie Corman appearance was moved to today’s show instead of Friday (which I am attending live) that was so uncomfortable and disturbing to watch.

I’ll report back here if anything new or juicy goes down between the commercial breaks.  

I had Corman on yesterday. I was working and kind of in the thick of a thing at the time and didn't think to shut it off or change the channel. I should have. I suspect she must have a friend on the production staff, because I don't think anyone wanted to hear about that. At all. 

Wonderwuman, I cannot wait to hear your account of being at The View today. 

12 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Seems to me MM is basking in this attention all over the news - and is not shrieking or crying - instead is a happy camper and laughing and joining in conversations she never did before. Hey- she even showed love for Ana that has given the most passionate speech about this.

Still can't stand her as a View co-host, but I have to admit I'm interested to see how this affects her behavior long-term. It probably won't. If I had to bet cash money, I'd bet she'd ultimately disappoint us, but at least we've had a respite from her worst behavior on the last few days of the show. My one hope is that for as long as she survives on The View, she will remember how the co-hosts she regularly abuses really went to the mat for her and for her father.

When I was watching Pete Buttigieg's segment, I couldn't help but think that what he was saying got to Meghan and think that if she were just Joe-Schmoe-McCain's daughter, instead of John McCain's Daughter, that he might have swung her not necessarily over to the left, but at least away from the part of the reactionary right where she currently resides.

The reason I do feel Meghan will ultimately disappoint, is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of there there -- that is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of substance, and she's got too many forces pulling her in the other direction, two of which are hella influential (family legacy and a far-right spouse). 

We'll see though. By the way, I'm not trying to speculate that she'd change parties, so much as change her approach and be far less of a right-wing shill on this show who starts too many questions and responses with "As a Republican" or "As a conservative."

I feel like she has an opportunity to pivot and grow into being a woman who thinks about things in ways apart from partisan talking points, but I think she'll probably fail. 

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

And his sycophants in Congress who aren't standing up for their friend.

She said they have 2 teenage boys.

They have three kids, and if I recall correctly (I didn't record yesterday's show) on the show, Corman said she heard (I guess about her husband's arrest) from her daughter.

1 hour ago, GladysCravits said:

Mayor Pete?  Way to much emphasis on faith for me.  Thought there was supposed to be a separation?

1 hour ago, GladysCravits said:

Should be separation everywhere according to the Constitution.

There's a separation of church and state, but that's a thing apart from a person talking about his own values and where they come from. If Buttigieg were talking about enacting some sort of religious policy, that would be a problem. He's not. He's talking about what informs his views.

• Love 15

I enjoyed Navarro shutting down the Daughters’ perpetual, hypocritical nitpicking by stating the obvious, that nothing they’re talking about is even in the same realm as Trump. And Ana really caught McCain off-kilter, too, by asking if Beto was good enough for her to vote for—McCain defends Trump every day, but is too cowardly to admit she voted for him and will vote for him again. Probably because she knows nobody would take any of her faux Views seriously any more if she admitted that out loud.

Love love love Pete Buttigieg.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
23 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I enjoyed Navarro shutting down the Daughters’ perpetual, hypocritical nitpicking by stating the obvious, that nothing they’re talking about is even in the same realm as Trump. And Ana really caught McCain off-kilter, too, by asking if Beto was good enough for her to vote for—McCain defends Trump every day, but is too cowardly to admit she voted for him and will vote for him again. Probably because she knows nobody would take any of her faux Views seriously any more if she admitted that out loud.

Love love love Pete Buttigieg.

Meghan was pretty adamant that she will not be voting for Trump, and she also commented that she hasn't voted for an actual Presidential candidate on the ticket in a number of years--I couldn't follow exactly what she was saying, as she seemed to realize she was digging a hole for herself with that comment, so tried to back-pedal a bit.  It sounded like she's done write-in votes and said she may have to do a write-in ballot for her father's ghost - way to use your vote effectively, Meghan!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

There's so much to criticize about Meghan's ideas and the way she treats others that I have a hard time understanding why people tend to focus on her appearance first.

I think because she frequently looks like a clown, or like she's on her way to this...

baby jane.jpg

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

Several reasons I think there is a critical focus on MM's appearance :

She's got the means to dress classy....expensively classy, yet wears ill-fitting, LOUD patterns, and styles that do not enhance her body type.

MM's mean-ness towards others--guests, other hosts, audience, the general population that may not agree with her politics is off-putting and disagreeable.  Some people believe "Ugly inside, ugly outside".

• Love 18
26 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

There's so much to criticize about Meghan's ideas and the way she treats others that I have a hard time understanding why people tend to focus on her appearance first.

Speaking for myself, I tend to notice what she is wearing more so than any of the other ladies because she is the only one who comes out fidgeting with what she was wearing most days and seems to have trouble arranging herself while getting on her stool.  She did it today, in fact.  She tugged and pulled at the waist band of her dress when she first sat down.  I am easily distracted by this kind of thing so I notice her doing it.  While none of the others do, as far as I can see.

That and the loud upholstery-adjacent prints she tends to sport draws my eye.

And also what General Days just said above.  Hee! 

Edited by Cementhead
spelling
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

What the hell is Meghan wearing?!

I feel bad, because the other day I posted that they should dress NutMeg in flowy wrap-style dresses with a v-neck.  But I did not mean this abomination.  

She looked very good in the black dress she had on yesterday.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

NutMeg is definitely more well behaved since this whole Trump attacking her dead father situation began.  She seems to really have bonded with her co-hosts, specifically Sunny, Ana and Joy, in a way that she never had before.

But...she had a slight almost regression today when Joy referenced her when she said: not to throw shade on Stacey Abrams.  Joy said something like:  Not to throw shade on SA, as you would say, Meghan.  And NutMeg did her weird neck movement and got defensive.  Most of it was off camera, and when NutMeg said why are you pointing to me, or something like that, Joy clarified that NutMeg uses the phrase, to throw shade.  And then NutMeg was relieved and fine.  But there was a moment there when she fell right back into her defensive and overly sensitive mode.

• Love 13
47 minutes ago, bannana said:

I feel bad, because the other day I posted that they should dress NutMeg in flowy wrap-style dresses with a v-neck.  But I did not mean this abomination.  

She looked very good in the black dress she had on yesterday.

Yes, a flowy dress like Sunny sometimes wears, with a more subtle print, would work on Meghan.  Especially one without a high waistline, and no belt.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, longobongo said:

I think he was explaining how his religious faith/belief(s) influence his politics. No one is born with a political background, but they are, most likely, raised in some faith based environment. Therefore, that will influence how you view the function of politics and governing when you are an adult.  Even people who are raised agnostic or atheist will be influenced by the way they are taught to act and view the world as they are growing up. The real issue of separating Church and State comes into play when laws are made based purely on religious beliefs/dogmas/rules and forcing all people to follow those same religious beliefs/dogmas. Pete was mainly describing living by the "Golden Rule" which is not owned by any one religion. I am completely against the influence of evangelical "religious" beliefs in our world today. I am in favor of the "Golden Rule".  I think Mayor Pete is a breath of fresh air in our political world. I could however, live without knowing anyone is a "person of faith". I just need to know they are a "person of kindness".

Well said. I thought his speak on his religious beliefs was two-fold. It set the tone for how his religion has informed his own personal values and he said, his religion does not hold a monopoly on those beliefs  and the values it has instilled in him AND I felt he used the conversation to raise the argument that it's a fallacy that Republicans are the party of religious values and that Democrats should embrace spiritual values of religion as it relates to their proposed policies. I actually thought it was quite a brilliant comment to point out that Pence's religiousness seems concentrated in what his religion teaches him about sexuality while Mayor Pete and other Democrats are proposing ideas that concentrate on values founded in religion as well (taking care of the poor, finding sensible ways to stem greed and corruption from the wealthy so that opportunities stolen from the middle and lower class can be re-introduce to these societies, etc.).

He seems incredibly thoughtful and genuine. Maybe being from the middle of the country (like actually, middle of the country) may help serve as a greater benefit to him than the discrimination  out there because he is an openly gay man.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 24
12 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I actually thought it was quite a brilliant comment to point out that Pence's religiousness seems concentrated in what his religion teaches him about sexuality while Mayor Pete and other Democrats are proposing ideas that concentrate on values founded in religion as well (taking care of the poor, finding sensible ways to stem greed and corruption from the wealthy so that opportunities stolen from the middle and lower class can be re-introduce to these societies, etc.).

You are so right about this being quite brilliant. It is actually the first time I've heard anybody describe so accurately Pence's (and many, many other Republicans') religiosity. I liked Mayor Pete when he was on the last time, but this time I was absolutely blown away by how intelligent, honest and fair-minded he seems. Did I mention how intelligent he sounds?

• Love 22
4 hours ago, General Days said:

I had Corman on yesterday. I was working and kind of in the thick of a thing at the time and didn't think to shut it off or change the channel. I should have. I suspect she must have a friend on the production staff, because I don't think anyone wanted to hear about that.

When she said she was an actress (and her name looked familiar), I used the "Favorites" option on my DVR and input her name.  A show taped already today!  She had a small (pivotal) part on a Law & Order from 2005.  She looked the same, just younger/more innocent.  That DVR will continue to tape whenever it locates her name.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, General Days said:

By the way, I'm not trying to speculate that she'd change parties, so much as change her approach and be far less of a right-wing shill on this show who starts too many questions and responses with "As a Republican" or "As a conservative."

Wouldn't she LOVE  to start her responses by, "As a maverick-by-birth...."

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Oh...those pathetic production people, trying to fool us with an infomercial!  I've seen that "lifestyle expert," Elizabeth Werner too many times.  Her voice and presentation are irritating and she needs to step up her appearance.  She offered a GREAT deal from her sponsor in coordination with Macy's.  A multi-cooker that replaces FOUR* of her own kitchen appliances for only $313.00.  With your 10% rebate, it costs only $292.00.

These stores have it for $249.95 and some them even have rebates through the same company (although smaller):  Amazon, Best Buy, Kohl's, Williams Sonoma and many others.  While you're sucking in all the suckers, why not offer us the best deals, Elizabeth?

*You replaced four with one...so you didn't exactly get rid of four spaces.  That's a story young wives try to sell to young husbands.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, deannanikki said:

I’m from Indiana as well and I totally agree with this. However, I enjoyed his take on religion and what that meant for him in politics, even if I don’t care for religion in politics. 

I'm from Indiana, too. I like Mayor Pete. Since LGTBQ+ candidates are under some attack by particular religious groups, I think some discussion is appropriate. It was similar with Kennedy and might be with a Jewish candidate -- spoken and unspoken questions about fitness to serve. Mayor Pete seems to address it, and go on with substantive issues. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Meghan was pretty adamant that she will not be voting for Trump, and she also commented that she hasn't voted for an actual Presidential candidate on the ticket in a number of years--I couldn't follow exactly what she was saying, as she seemed to realize she was digging a hole for herself with that comment, so tried to back-pedal a bit.  It sounded like she's done write-in votes and said she may have to do a write-in ballot for her father's ghost - way to use your vote effectively, Meghan!  

I heard what she said. I think she was lying, which is pretty much the norm with her.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Oh...those pathetic production people, trying to fool us with an infomercial!  I've seen that "lifestyle expert," Elizabeth Werner too many times.  Her voice and presentation are irritating and she needs to step up her appearance.  She offered a GREAT deal from her sponsor in coordination with Macy's.  A multi-cooker that replaces FOUR* of her own kitchen appliances for only $313.00.  With your 10% rebate, it costs only $292.00.

These stores have it for $249.95 and some them even have rebates through the same company (although smaller):  Amazon, Best Buy, Kohl's, Williams Sonoma and many others.  While you're sucking in all the suckers, why not offer us the best deals, Elizabeth?

*You replaced four with one...so you didn't exactly get rid of four spaces.  That's a story young wives try to sell to young husbands.

Yeah, I've had the idea that this Rakutin (sp?) and its predecessor Plenti are scams. So you get a 10% rebate, big whoop. If you buy it through a store you can get a bigger discount. 

• Love 4

I thought it was pretty funny that Joy said Ana’s reference to Elizabeth Taylor was outdated. Joy is constantly making outdated references. FTR I’m younger than Ana and knew exactly what she meant. 

Also, what the heck is a “lifestyle expert”? Is that the new term for salesperson?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

Also, what the heck is a “lifestyle expert”? Is that the new term for salesperson?

I think of them as people who are pushy...who have a way to contact various vendors claiming they have media contacts.  Then they contact media (a lot of TV) and claim they have vendor contacts (discounts-freebies-discounts-freebies).  As soon as they have a few bites, they're LIFESTYLE EXPERTS!   I also think it's a title generally granted to oneself!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I tuned in as the ladies approached the table. The camera panned over Anna then Meghan and I automatically thought, "Pajama Day!" Anna and Megan both looked like they were wearing sleepwear, Anna a sexy red leopard print nightie with a see-thru cover; Meghan a satin kimono/robe. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I wasn't referring to feeling sympathetic toward Meghan or the McCain family.  Their focus was on Trump and how out-of-line he was to make those comments about Senator McCain.  Or about anyone who has served this country in any capacity.  No other President (at least in modern history) has ever publicly spoken that way about anyone, and Trump is relentless.  That's what they were talking about.  I don't feel especially sorry for the McCain family either, but I do share the outrage about Trump that was expressed by Joy & the others.  I think we can acknowledge that McCain was not perfect and still be disgusted by Trump continuing to strip away the dignity of the presidency by bullying and attacking.  IMO the focus was on Bad Boy Trump, not Perfect Boy McCain.  And I think feeling sorry for the family or not feeling sorry for the family is secondary, as are the political leanings of Joy & the others (which you mentioned in the post I replied to).  The focus was clearly on Trump and his over-the-top inappropriateness.  

(Is "inappropriateness" a word?)  🙂

Heh, I believe inappopriateness is definitely a word 🙂

The thing I want to clarify is: I didn't mention Trump in my original post, and I don't personally believe you have to take sides between two people you find problematic, just because one could be considered less problematic than the other. I really liked what Ana was saying this week about people sticking to their convictions. And what I was talking about was my feeling after all this nasty behaviour by Meghan and the over-the-top attitude towards McCain rather than a realistic view of his achievements, is that it's exhausted any pity I might have for that family before the latest kerfuffle. So now I just don't care, whereas earlier I may have. I wasn't really speaking of that particular episode and what was happening. I understand that wouldn't possibly come across like that, but what I put in parenthesis was just a reminder to anyone scanning the messages and seeing his name that he was on topic this week. Sometimes such strict rules on what you can and can't say can funnily enough stifle your ability to say what you mean as clearly as you would like for fear of reprisals.

• Love 4
On 3/21/2019 at 9:49 PM, atlantaloves said:

Oh man, I'm sorry but that gal who stayed with her husband who was perve and then wrote a play about it, SORRY.....I just can't. NOPE.☠️ BE GONE LADY.

Yes, that was really, really uncomfortable.  I'm all about art and theater, but it's bizarre to me that she "performs" about this.  She needs to work thru it in therapy privately, not grandstand in front of the world.  

Staying with him is beyond my comprehension too.  I guess it's a free country, and as an adult she can do that if she wants.  But she's responsible for children, and I find it outrageous that they're staying intact as a family.  She seems very self-absorbed and not all looking out for the best interests of her children.  Obviously what he did was disgusting, but I'm not thinking all that highly of her either.  

• Love 7
On 3/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, MMEButterfly said:

I interpreted it that Ana was defending her friend John McCain. And I loved it. 

That's what I thought that post meant too - that she was defending Senator McCain, not Meghan.

I really admire Ana so much.  We have seen her time and again step up to the plate and speak eloquently and intelligently, and we've also seen her fun side and quick wit.  I think she's an amazing woman, and I could watch her all day.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, tribeca said:

looks like only Sunny wasn’t impressed with Mayor Pete. 

I don't know. She didn't like his answers about reparations for slavery, but she was the one who pimped him during Hot Topics when they were talking about Joe Biden, listing all his accomplishments.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't know. She didn't like his answers about reparations for slavery, but she was the one who pimped him during Hot Topics when they were talking about Joe Biden, listing all his accomplishments.

She listed his accomplishments twice.  She might not have liked his stance on reparations but he explained his stance and I think Sunny was satisfied. 

Mayor Pete is definitely going places.  He might not be president in 2020 but he is going to end up governor or senator one day.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I tuned in as the ladies approached the table. The camera panned over Anna then Meghan and I automatically thought, "Pajama Day!" Anna and Megan both looked like they were wearing sleepwear, Anna a sexy red leopard print nightie with a see-thru cover; Meghan a satin kimono/robe. 

Ultra casual Friday?

57 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Mayor Pete is definitely going places.  He might not be president in 2020 but he is going to end up governor or senator one day.

I certainly hope so!

• Love 7
On 3/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, WonderWuman73 said:

I’m going to be at this Friday’s live taping. I feel better and taking my dad for the first time. I’m hoping Whoopi continues to take Fridays off. 

Wonderwomun73, are you holding out on us girl (or did I miss your post)? 

How was the taping?

Recap! Recap! Recap! (Please.)

Edited by General Days
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

She listed his accomplishments twice.  She might not have liked his stance on reparations but he explained his stance and I think Sunny was satisfied. 

As a Hoosier, I pray so. I would be so happy for Mayor Pete to become our Governor Pete. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

Yes, that was really, really uncomfortable.  I'm all about art and theater, but it's bizarre to me that she "performs" about this.  She needs to work thru it in therapy privately, not grandstand in front of the world.  

Staying with him is beyond my comprehension too.  I guess it's a free country, and as an adult she can do that if she wants.  But she's responsible for children, and I find it outrageous that they're staying intact as a family.  She seems very self-absorbed and not all looking out for the best interests of her children.  Obviously what he did was disgusting, but I'm not thinking all that highly of her either.  

I had a friend in high school.who was dating this guy...he was handsome..but something seemed off.

Flashforward 12 years, hes working IT at a company I'm working at..and he gets arrested for the same thing this actress' husband did.  My friend divorced him once he was charged and in jail.  Hes out and living far away..she's remarried to someone else now.  She said she had to go through therapy to cope with not seeing the signs..and knew she had to divorce him because she had kids to think of.  So I do find it confusing why this actress is standing by her husband.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

When she said she was an actress (and her name looked familiar), I used the "Favorites" option on my DVR and input her name.  A show taped already today!  She had a small (pivotal) part on a Law & Order from 2005.  She looked the same, just younger/more innocent.  That DVR will continue to tape whenever it locates her name.

She's so distinctive looking that I immediately recognized her from 1985s Seven Minutes of Heaven.   I only saw the movie once!

• Love 1