Type keyword(s) to search

Matt and Caryn

• Start Topic

I've always questioned if there ever was an affair.  I'm kind of the doubting Thomas kind of person and would certainly need more than Amy's word on anything of that nature.

Regarding the kids I think they favor Caryn over Amy most of the time.  Strange but true.

Most self made men have certain work qualities and I think Matt has them.  I was shocked he was already flipping houses and cleaning up the mess Amy left in the big house with, by the way, never a complaint.

Because Matt is such a powerhouse people tend to forget he has terrible disabilities.  One's that he's overcome and bravo to him.

Caryn's fun and pretty and everybody seems to like her.  Fake Amy..not so much.  If Matt and Caryn did anything Amy accuses them of doing I'm sure she'd no longer want to be a Roloff.  But that little liar knows what side her bread is buttered on!  Lol

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Butterycup said:

He had this affair with his employee, which was reckless. It put all his other employees in an awkward spot. It was right in front of his children and wife, which definitely could have had a lasting impact on kids if they had figured it out before their mother.

So he openly displayed his relationship with Caryn in front of the whole farm, wife, kids and employees?  Was there open discussions about weekend plans, or PDA between them in front of everyone?  Were employees filmed talking about how awkward it was to work there?  Did we seen Amy confront him on the show?  Whatever the relationship was it does not seem to bother his kids, they seem to love Caryn.  Tori wrote her a Bday wish stating they “couldn’t do any of this without you”.  I think Amy is the only one who doesn’t like them, even Chris seems to like Matt.  Can’t blame Amy though, and I think the kids are just happy both their Mom and Dad are happy now.

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 5

I don't think he's bipolar - he does have those spurts of energy but they're always on camera where basically Matt can get attention. Matt never pulls shit like "well, that wedding is still actually happening but I want to rearrange the farm and TEAR THINGS UP!!" nonsense where he has to be stopped from actually tearing things up while a filmed event is happening. Those things happen because Matt knows the camera is there

Some days he is coming up with these grand ideas, recklessly spending, impulsive with this inflated ego.

And he doesn't like his failures discussed. There's any number of farm projects that TLC paid for that were big losers that just got quietly dropped. The "Grand Canyon". The huge bridge project that ended up being overly dangerous. The second trebuchet. The tower of terror. The stupid windmill bar that has yet to actually look like a bar. The various lawsuits.

He had this affair with his employee, which was reckless. It put all his other employees in an awkward spot. It was right in front of his children and wife, which definitely could have had a lasting impact on kids if they had figured it out before their mother.  I mean, most normal people would at least try to shield their children from it, but it's like he got a massive kick out of this risky sexual relationship.   He jokes about lying to his spouse about the finances or his plans and makes irresponsible driving choices.

I think Matt is a narcissist. I think he honestly doesn't care what the kids think or how they feel about his dating Caryn, his affair with Caryn, whether it's awkward for his employees to deal with Caryn and Matt having a relationship while on the job. Matt's getting what Matt wants and he's happy and everyone else? Whatever!

I'm genuinely curious to see how he'll handle Caryn going forward. He's already supporting her - she's running an event planning business that appears to be existing mostly in her mind. Now she's sharp - I think it's more likely that she gets her wedding before Amy and Chris wed, but without a prenup thatt means splitting the farm AGAIN.

I think Amy's a hoarder, and insecure and manifests her anger in criticizing or being defiant. Still, it becomes more apparent that there is something very wrong with Matt feeling the need to blow 18k on some massive project on a whim.  

I *don't* think Amy is a hoarder. She's messy and yet as soon as the kids moved out - that house neatened up. Passive aggressive thing against Matt? Maybe, but Matt loves being the victim. Poor baby loved Amy too much to hire a maid? Please he likes the attention he gets from being the victim. He gets to put on his pouting face and play the manipulative games on how he's so crippled and wants so little.

I think Amy is dumb for letting Matt play these games for so long. Frankly I don't think she really wised up for a LONG time and expended way too much energy protecting the kids from knowing how their dad is an asshole. Or maybe not - Matt sat in the double wide for years whining how unfair it was that he didn't get the big house he wanted. Then he wants to sell the farm - Matt is literally the only one who has expressed any interest in doing this. Then he LOVES the farm but wants his own special house and mean Amy won't let him even though he wants her to pay for it either with farm funds or by having her compensate him when the farm sells and isn't it mean she expects him to pay for a new house with his own money? (Which btw is the *current* plan now that Amy has moved off the farm) Wait - Matt's moving to a different property, oh wait he's retiring to AZ, nope he's got to stay on the farm for the love of the grandchildren. Which is all nonsense   - Matt wanted control of the farm to himself. If Amy had been smart, she would have taken the payout quickly instead of letting him whine like a baby for actual years on how he wasn't getting his way.

7 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

So he openly displayed his relationship with Caryn in front of the whole farm, wife, kids and employees?  Was there open discussions about weekend plans, or PDA between them in front of everyone?  

Well, they announced publically in 2017 that they were dating complete with smooching on camera and Matt smirking and grinning how *sexy* Caryn is and we were treated to at least one season of Matt and Caryn going on dates while also staging work meetings with Amy and Caryn dragging Matt away from the farm to go on dates. I think the other employees were aware of the situation. And what I have just described is tacky enough to cause a problem in most work places. Not Matt's but I ask folks - how comfortable would you be going to your boss's boss to complain about her, knowing the higher up is dating her and finds her sexy?

25 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I was shocked he was already flipping houses and cleaning up the mess Amy left in the big house with, by the way, never a complaint.

He spent a *year* carrying a mortgage on one flip and doesn't appear to have any others. The mess in the big house? Hmm Amy left in November 2019 and Matt the go getter didn't bother until just recently and indeed complained all over facebook, what a precious little saint he is. He's had control now for close to a year, house maintenance is now on Matt but yes, I am sure years from now he'll still be whining how he's Amy's victim.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, LucyEth said:

So he openly displayed his relationship with Caryn in front of the whole farm, wife, kids and employees?  Was there open discussions about weekend plans, or PDA between them in front of everyone?  Were employees filmed talking about how awkward it was to work there?  Did we seen Amy confront him on the show?  Whatever the relationship was it does not seem to bother his kids, they seem to love Caryn.  Tori wrote her a Bday wish stating they “couldn’t do any of this without you”.  I think Amy is the only one who doesn’t like them, even Chris seems to like Matt.  Can’t blame Amy though, and I think the kids are just happy both their Mom and Dad are happy now.

The employees always know. No matter how slick the cheaters think they are.

Tori wrote that because she knows that Caryn does all the work when "they" babysit, while Matt does whatever he wants.

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Tori wrote that because she knows that Caryn does all the work when "they" babysit, while Matt does whatever he wants.

We have no way of knowing that, and now she is in business with Caryn doing the Wedding thing at the farm.  I think she genuinely likes Caryn.  

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

We have no way of knowing that, and now she is in business with Caryn doing the Wedding thing at the farm.  I think she genuinely likes Caryn.  

I mean, you really think Matt can tend Lilah and Jackson by himself? I will be honest, I don't believe Matt is capable of being safely left alone with toddlers and babies for longer than a few minutes. He just can't handle any basic need like feeding, changing, etc, let alone an actual crisis or a kid going where he or she couldn't. There's no way those kids are left without Caryn being there to be the caregiver.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 7
40 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I mean, you really think Matt a person on crutches can tend Lilah and Jackson by himself? I will be honest, I don't believe Matt a person on crutches is capable of being safely left alone with toddlers and babies for longer than a few minutes. He just can't handle any basic need like feeding, changing, etc, let alone an actual crisis or a kid going where he or she couldn't. There's no way those kids are left without Caryn someone who is not on crutches being there to be the caregiver.

Just wanted to make it sound more objective and less subjective.

• Love 8

Why? I am talking about Matt - his physical problems aren't just being on crutches. He's actually said in episodes of the show that he has difficulty using his hands for tasks like tying a tie or doing his own shoelaces. Can he change a diaper by himself o will the baby need to lie in its mess until someone else comes along? Can Matt safely lift the baby from the floor to his arms? Can he fix a bottle by himself? A person on crutches does not equal someone with Matt's disabilities. Can he lift a child or button their shirt or feed them? Frankly, in scenes on the show, its been clear that Matt has to be seated in order to safely hold the babies and there's always someone there asking him if he's ok. 

• Love 5

My point was that I don’t think Tori regards Caryn as only a babysitter.  It was not to go on and on about what Matt can and cannot do for his grandchildren.  I agree he is limited, but I did see him change Jackson’s diaper.  Caryn is a huge asset to them, I see more pics of her and Matt with those kids (babysitting) then Amy.  

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 9

Amy boasts about projects she gives Chris to complete around the house, without anyone suggesting she's using him for that purpose. She can't do it, he's happy to help.

Same with Matt and Caryn. She's happy to help out with the grandkids when his physical condition is an obstacle with certain tasks.

Loving couples do that for each other.

Edited by Jenny8
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought Matt changed a diaper last season on air. 

With supervision.  Would you be comfortable with Matt being left alone, without Caryn and or a camera crew, with Lilah and Jackson for four hours? I wouldn't. 

56 minutes ago, Jenny8 said:

Amy boasts about projects she gives Chris to complete around the house, without anyone suggesting she's using him for that purpose. She can't do it, he's happy to help.

Fair to say no one think Amy could manage those chores on her own without help. Please understand, I get it - we all make these concessions with people who have serious handicaps. We're taught from a very young age that it's unkind to point out what they can't do. But lets be honest - Matt who *loves* babysitting his grandkids, really isn't the one doing the work when the kids are dropped off - that would be Caryn. And likewise Amy isn't really the one who dusts the rafters in her home. 

2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Caryn is a huge asset to them, I see more pics of her and Matt with those kids (babysitting) then Amy.  

I babysat my neice multiple times while my sibling did it rarely and if we just went by pictures posted on the 'gram, I did nothing while sibling (who loves the kid but isn't especially fond of kiddie stuff) looks like the hero bebysitter of the neice's childhood. 

• Love 6

From the multiple photos I see online, I'd trust Matt with the kids over Jer, Auj, Zach or Tori.  They repeatedly demonstrate poor judgment.  I'm not sure what's wrong with them.  They need parenting classes, safety course, or just to use some bleeping common sense.  I would not trust any of those 4 supervising my child.  As long as Matt would keep them off the mule, I'd be okay with him for a reasonable amount of time. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I babysat my neice multiple times while my sibling did it rarely and if we just went by pictures posted on the 'gram, I did nothing while sibling (who loves the kid but isn't especially fond of kiddie stuff) looks like the hero bebysitter of the neice's childhood. 

Sorry if that was your experience, but Amy posts everything and if she had those kids a lot, we would know it.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought Matt changed a diaper last season on air. 

He did and I don’t recall anyone supervising him.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Sorry if that was your experience, but Amy posts everything and if she had those kids a lot, we would know it.

And you know this as an absolute fact? I mean you know Amy personally? By the way, in case it wasn't clear, my point was that the life you see portrayed in social media is rarely ever an accurate portrayal of an event. Frankly, if we go by social media all the grandbabies NEVER see their other grand parents... who I am sure do get to see the kids.

8 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

He did and I don’t recall anyone supervising him.

No camera crew? 🙂 How did it get filmed?

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

And you know this as an absolute fact? I mean you know Amy personally

I could ask you the same about everything you have posted about her, Matt and Caryn.  I’m done with this before it goes too far and the site rules are broken.  Have a nice day!

• Love 8

I allow for the possibility that I can be wrong. Look, I'm saying what we see posted on social media is usually not the whole story of whats actually happening. If you don't agree, I certainly can't make you agree, but neither do I have to agree with you. I think the pictures on social media are nice but not an absolute indicator of who spends the most time with the grandkids.

• Love 5
On 9/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, LucyEth said:

My point was that I don’t think Tori regards Caryn as only a babysitter.  It was not to go on and on about what Matt can and cannot do for his grandchildren.  I agree he is limited, but I did see him change Jackson’s diaper.  Caryn is a huge asset to them, I see more pics of her and Matt with those kids (babysitting) then Amy.  

Tori made it crystal clear on many occasions that she absolutely adores Caryn and loves spending time with her.

Caryn knew everything Jackson needed when they picked him up to babysit while Tori had Lilah, meanwhile Amy didn't have a clue about his routine or what he needed... Amy just threw her arms in the air and said she didn't know... she didn't know because she never keeps him, all she does is visits.. no overnights or weekends.

• Love 4

I honestly have no issue with Tori liking Caryn. Caryn isn't her dad's girlfriend who maybe started dating him as soon as Dad signed the divorce papers or probably a few years earlier.

8 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

Caryn knew everything Jackson needed when they picked him up to babysit while Tori had Lilah, meanwhile Amy didn't have a clue about his routine or what he needed...

I do disagree with this but I am willing to play along. 

Matt had NO IDEA what Jackson needed as well. He was in the grocery store seriously telling Caryn that Jackson needed to be fed brie or "stinky cheese" as he so amusingly called it because a two year old needed to eat the finer things. Once in the house, Matt dumped Jackson off on Caryn who isn't even his wife and literally refused to assist with tending Jackson as Matt preferred "relaxing". Matt can't take the kids for any length of time without Caryn being available which means Matt gets to play with the kids and pose for photo ops but the actual tending of the child and the chores is left to Caryn. When Amy, Tory's mom, or Audrey's mom take the kids, they don't have an assistant to hand the child to when they get bored or the child needs actual tending. Babysitting is fun for Matt since all he has to do is play.

Now, here's what I really think. All the grandparents - including Tory's and Audrey's even though we never see them at all - love the grandkids and see the grandkids pretty consistently. Matt seems to be playing the public popularity game when it comes to Jackson - he's insisted on overgifting Jackson on his birthday to make it clear Matt loves him the most and yes, overgifts with specially built playsets to show the public how he loves Jackson the most. He seems to think whoever throws down the biggest and best toys wins. It's cute now and Matt loves soaking up the praise on how he's the best but is he going to maintain this for all the grandkids? There's four now and Ember will soon be old enough to see how Grandpa Matt gifts Jackson and wants Jackson for special play time and tells the public who his favorite little guy is....

I know my grandparents had their favorites but most *try* not to make the distinction of who is preferred so crystal clear. I also suspect that if Jackson takes too much after his daddy in being shy, that Matt will move on to declaring Bode his favorite. 

His favorite sure won't be a girl and yes, its already noticeable.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

Amy just threw her arms in the air and said she didn't know... she didn't know because she never keeps him, all she does is visits.. no overnights or weekends.

Well, let's be fair.  "Her man" is there overnights and weekends, and him, his friends, and their motorcycle trips are more important than silly little things like grandkids.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Or maybe she just has no interest in keeping a young child overnight. She already raised 4 of them (5 if you count Matt) and perhaps just wants to have them over for an afternoon, not all night. The grandkids have other grandparent who do like to keep them overnight. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
On 9/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, LucyEth said:

Well, the TLC cameras certainly make a point of showing their friendly relationship and emphasizing that Matt and Caryn went off on their own a lot. They saw something suspicious (they were coworkers), and even the kids said that they didn't know where their dad was because he went off somewhere with Caryn. So yes, that would be a red flag that everyone knew something was up. The cameras made a point of that, and I'm sure the coworkers and kids caught on to that.

The kids like Caryn? Tori is not their child; she has no loyalty to Amy as a mother. She's Zach's wife and didn't grow up in the home. Zach doesn't seem to interact a lot with Caryn on camera and rarely makes a point of saying anything.  Jeremy, Jacob, and Molly don't seem to have much of a relationship with Caryn. I think someone mentioned that Molly and Jacob don't follow her on social media and rarely appear in photos with her.  At least, you don't see the other children praising her or images posted of them together and interacting as I've seen with them in photos with Chris. Who knows, though? But most normal people don't appreciate it when people make snide comments or ugly faces about their mother and father on national television.  

They're all adults now and can accept their parents' divorce because they love them both. However, that doesn't mean that they like Caryn. Otherwise, we'd see one of the actual children make a point of praising her themselves, but I don't think any of them would go that far. It's one thing to be tolerant of someone. It's a whole other to like them. 

• Love 14

Because grandparents as a rule must drop their lives when their kids need to dump the grandkids on them? Whatever happened to "I raised you, now you raise *your* kids"?

Has Matt given up any trips to Arizona/Hawaii because he's required to drop his plans if a grandchild needs to be tended? 

This is silly - those grandkids see their grandparents far more than I ever saw mine. And I don't view my grandparents as monsters for not moving next door and running to the doorstop the second my parents snapped their fingers and said "service my child now or admit you don't love them". Grandparents are not servants and are not required to prove their love by their willingness to assume the parent role.

2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Or maybe she just has no interest in keeping a young child overnight. She already raised 4 of them (5 if you count Matt) and perhaps just wants to have them over for an afternoon, not all night. The grandkids have other grandparent who do like to keep them overnight. 

Correction - the grandkids have one grandparent who has a girlfriend who likes to keep them overnight. And yes, you know its not a crime to no longer want to be up all night with a crying baby. 

• Love 12

I don't really think Jacob or Molly remark on anything.  They are done with the whole reality and instagram thingy.  I can't blame them.  BOTH parents put them in the public display. 

We have no idea how either of them feel about anybody.  Molly doesn't seem to spend much time with her mother or we would surely have Amy front and center with an up and close selfie.

As for Jacob.....

• Love 3

Molly seems to spend an equal amount of time with her mom and her dad if we're judging by photos on social media... which is not very much time at all.

Jacob seems to get along better with Amy than Matt but again hard to judge. 

Neither Molly or Jacob (or Jeremy or Zach) have ever stated a preference for Caryn over their mother, or that they like Caryn more than their mother.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Neither Molly or Jacob (or Jeremy or Zach) have ever stated a preference for Caryn over their mother, or that they like Caryn more than their mother.

Do you really think they would even it were true?  IMO and only my opinion, they probably like Caryn, they don’t seem to shun her.  It seems to me Chris is the one they don’t bother with or couldn’t care less about, Amy seemed very concerned when announcing her engagement that they like and accept Chris.  

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Do you really think they would even it were true?

I mean maybe. They don't have a lot of manners. 😉

1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

they probably like Caryn, they don’t seem to shun her.  

Not shunning her is not on the same level as preferring her to their biological mother, below is what I was responding to.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I think they favor Caryn over Amy most of the time. 

As it happens, I really agree with you, Lucyeth, they probably like Caryn as a person. They don't seem to shun her ((although Jacob and Molly don't seem to visit enough to get a real read on the situation) But favor her to their own mother? Not seeing it with her actual children. Tory maybe, but Tory's relationship is different having met Caryn as an employee first and not being a biological child of Amy. Audrey doesn't seem to shun Caryn but hardly seems super friendly either. Jeremy and Audrey, when on the show, didn't seem to do more than behave politely to Caryn. Zach and Tory seem friendlier but then Tory was friends with Caryn and doesn't have that "this woman is my father's new lover" issue in liking her.

Chris doesn't seem interested in playing dad and granddad to Amy's children. He certainly seems pleasant to them and Zach at least seems pleasant back (never seen Molly or Jacob in Chris's prescence on the show). Jeremy and Audrey both seemed to instantly dislike him when they met and don't seem to speak to each other

• Love 5
On 9/12/2020 at 1:57 PM, LucyEth said:

Do you really think they would even it were true?  IMO and only my opinion, they probably like Caryn, they don’t seem to shun her.  It seems to me Chris is the one they don’t bother with or couldn’t care less about, Amy seemed very concerned when announcing her engagement that they like and accept Chris.  

I think a real problem for the kids was the canoodling.

it was either Jer or Zach who actually said on camera that they didn't want to see either parent do that type of thing

Matt and Caryn don't do that kind of stuff, maybe a quick kiss here and there but at least for a while Amy was pretty disgusting with the way she crawled all over Chris like a horn dog.

He's a single guy with no kids but Amy is a grandmother, she regularly made an ass of herself with Chris.... the campfire scene with the other couple was downright embarrassing, Amy sat her butt in Chris's lap rubbing her ass around on his crotch, his arms laying over her breasts as she bent backwards for kisses, the other couple sat there next to each other watching while Amy and Chris carried on.....then there was the hot tub scene with Amy sliding around on Chris just to name a couple of instances.  🤨

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

He's a single guy with no kids but Amy is a grandmother, she regularly made an ass of herself with Chris.... the campfire scene with the other couple was downright embarrassing, Amy sat her butt in Chris's lap rubbing her ass around on his crotch, his arms laying over her breasts as she bent backwards for kisses, the other couple sat there next to each other watching while Amy and Chris carried on.....then there was the hot tub scene with Amy sliding around on Chris just to name a couple of instances.  🤨

I remember those scenes, wish I had a vomit emoji!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

I think a real problem for the kids was the canoodling.

it was either Jer or Zach who actually said on camera that they didn't want to see either parent do that type of thing

That and Amy was the stable parent that could be counted on to make their meals, get them to school and all around support them. Matt's always been happy to dump time with the family for 'fun time for Matt only' so it must be hard to have the go to parent for the harder stuff not as instantly available.

Honestly though, as much as I hate the canoodling (I'm a bit "get a room" on that) I don't think its ever actually been done in front of the kids. 

Yes, it's been on the show, obviously, but all the family profess to not watch the show...

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

That and Amy was the stable parent that could be counted on to make their meals, get them to school and all around support them.

Don’t forget keeping the house clean and organized and clean sheets on their beds😂

• LOL 9
55 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Hehehe for all his complaining, I never saw Matt doing this for his children either 🙂

If he tried she would probably scream at him and tell him she didn’t like the way he did it!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, LucyEth said:

If he tried she would probably scream at him and tell him she didn’t like the way he did it!

Maybe, but at the end of the day *that* never happened because he *never* made the effort. Sorry, Matt only gets to be the victim over things that actually happened. Matt didn't care enough to try and considering he's stated time and again that he can do anything he puts his mind to... obviously he didn't consider it worth it.

But skydiving with Jeremy and and Army's Golden Knights - something fun that makes him look cool - why then Matt put the effort in. 

If its fun, Matt will be all balls to the wall, but if it's boring or makes him the bad guy with the kids, Matt never wanted to be bothered. 

• Love 10

As I remember it Amy allowed NO interference from Matt in how she raised the kids or how she kept house!  

Little Miss Bossy shoved Matt out the door any time he tried to disciplane the kids or come up with any idea to clean up that pig sty house Amy was running!

Gosh she's a real trip!

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

As I remember it Amy allowed NO interference from Matt in how she raised the kids or how she kept house!  

Whereas I recall a great deal of arguing between them, and lots of Matt complaining to the audience on camera. I also recall Matt declaring that if he wanted to accomplish something, he didn't let anything stand in his way - this often included overriding Amy on projects and even lying to her about the projects. Yet raising his children wasn't something he was willing to stand up and fight for...

27 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Little Miss Bossy shoved Matt out the door any time he tried to disciplane the kids or come up with any idea to clean up that pig sty house Amy was running!

I don't recall any episode where Amy laid hands on Matt or physically shoved him out any doors. What episode or episodes did this physical abuse take place in? I'm fine with blaming Amy for her actual actions - she's a shitty housekeeper and kind of dumb about social interactions, but no one has ever said she laid a hand on her husband in anger or with intent.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Whereas I recall a great deal of arguing between them, and lots of Matt complaining to the audience on camera. I also recall Matt declaring that if he wanted to accomplish something, he didn't let anything stand in his way - this often included overriding Amy on projects and even lying to her about the projects. Yet raising his children wasn't something he was willing to stand up and fight for...

I don't recall any episode where Amy laid hands on Matt or physically shoved him out any doors. What episode or episodes did this physical abuse take place in? I'm fine with blaming Amy for her actual actions - she's a shitty housekeeper and kind of dumb about social interactions, but no one has ever said she laid a hand on her husband in anger or with intent.

Yes, Matt wanted to be seen as the "fun" parent--the guy who says, "Let's build a treehouse! Farmer Jer, get on the backhoe and let's dig out a hole for the new play house!" He didn't want to be the dad that yells at them to do homework and clean their rooms. If Matt was into it, he did it--if it bored him, he didn't.

Matt can't be a cowering, frightened wimp and a "dynamo" who gets things done in spite of a "tall odds" at the same time, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I don't think Amy wanted to constantly be the bad guy, either. She was already the one getting them up and ready for school, taking them to soccer (and helping coach, as I remember), etc. Housekeeping apparently wasn't that important to her, so why nag the kids about it?

They both have faults and differ in many areas, but one thing I do think they have in common is that they both love their children in their own ways.

• Love 8

I was rewatching older episodes - season 10, of the Euro trip and DAAA world championships because I couldn't sit thru Svengoolie and classic Star rk one more time. I know there's a lot of folks who like to harp how Amy never allowed Matt to do anything with his kids but the Euro trip and soccer competition are a really good example of how letting Matt do as he liked with the kids can end badly.

Matt wanted to be the team manager for Zach's soccer team going to Ireland. Zach's origanal team was a group of younger kids. Because Matt was involved, a group of clearly not child players ended up with most of the team spots. Matt wanted sponsorships and advertisements which is not DAAA standard. Ultimately, to support Matt, Amy ended up resigning from the DAAA board and let Matt take the team independent. This involved ending some lifelong relationships and made further events awkward for both Amy and Zach. Matt didn't car because h was team manager and he wanted X, Y and Z and if the DAAA wasn't on board well, Matt would take his team independent with HI HO SCREW YOU ALL ITS MY WAY OR ELSE!

There's some projects on the farm - to have a soccer clinic on the farm, Matt has to install a bathroom and shower facility in the office barn that is never spoken of again. He spends time designating which players get which beds, and pretty much subs in Caryn to manage the house despite Amy being there. Amy to be fair, is a bit grumbly about Caryn running things in her house, but Matt is the team manager and she lets him run the show while she is relegated to coach and token female player. This is also the series of episodes where if you need to see t, you've got Caryn snugged up to Matt by the fire wearing his jacket. This was the summer of 2009 by the way. 

So Matt's declared himself in charge of it all and he's the team manager.... until something better comes along. It gets dropped on Zach and Amy that Matt will not be attending the opening of the games, where the manager is needed most for organizational things because "its not a good use of my time". Instead he's going to have fun fun fun with Jeremy in Switzerland! Matt repeatedly insists that he'd be doing nothing in Ireland and really preferred to have some fun.

So, tons of chores are left on Amy, including getting a room for Molly and Jacob.... see, since Matt was supposed to be in Ireland, the plan was for them to stay with Dad at the hotel. But Matt wanted fun with Jeremy and didn't bother, so not only is Amy stuck with Matt's manager chores, she's also babysitting the kids while doing it. Molly also expresses on camera how it angers her that Matt only took Jeremy on a special trip.

So Amy stepped back and let Matt be the parent and... this is what he does.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 9/28/2020 at 2:23 PM, LucyEth said:

42A4BCE9-532E-46E1-9F56-FD96337D8F8D.jpeg

There's no "BIGFOOT" at Roloff farms but there's an aggressive beast with thunder thighs known as "BIG-ASS AMY"

They've been trying to remove her for years but she just won't go!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
On 9/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, Butterycup said:

They're all adults now and can accept their parents' divorce because they love them both. However, that doesn't mean that they like Caryn. Otherwise, we'd see one of the actual children make a point of praising her themselves, but I don't think any of them would go that far. It's one thing to be tolerant of someone. It's a whole other to like them. 

My children and I were in this situation beginning at ages 9 and 11.  They actually decided after a few years that they liked the alcoholic girlfriend more than they liked their unreliable, lying, cheating, alcoholic father.  They let me complain about him and her without recrimination.  I earned it!

• Love 1

Just saw Matt's Facebook post about how hard everyone is working to keep the pumpkin farm safe during Covid.  Hand sanitizer dispensers, sprays, all sorts of stuff.  He wants the people at the farm to feel safe when they visit.

Amy . . . all she seems to care about is her costumes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Has Matt ever treated Amy as an actual partner? Does she get any real say in any decisions about pumpkin season?  Matt clutches the business side and the organization side completely to himself. He won't give his sons tasks that would actually teach them how to run things and certainly doesn't encourage anyone, including Amy to question him on how the farm runs. He insists on holding the business as his own little entity and bitterly complains how the divorce forces him to minimally consult Amy on financial decisions concerning the business. 

So she lets him have his way and does the greeting job and gets chastised for not also taking on the safety things.

This is the double standard thats been talked about. If Matt is too busy running the business to bother parenting - and thats what gets bandied about when his failure to parent comes up - he was busy working and dreaming up new ideas and the house was Amy's territory anyway, damn her!

But she's also a lazy shitty worker for not ripping control of farm from Matt and taking on roles by force that he's never allowed anyone to have. She's on the hook for being a shitty mom AND damn her for not standing up to Matt and doing all the business work too. 

But Matt? Great businesman AND you know, Amy ran the house and he was busy making money so we're just going to ignore all his shit moves as a parent. 

• Love 9

Amy never "ran the house" mercy.  She destroyed that beautiful house.

I'm quite sure if she was to be given any kind of responsibility during pumpkin season, other than dressing up, she'd still be pondering it and unable to make a decision into December!

How frustrating that has to be.  If that was a business she would have been 'let go' long ago.  No employer would have put up with Amy!I

But this was a marriage and the only ending was divorce!B

Chris is once more saying, in coming attractions of the show, "it's been five months Amy"!!!!

Chris is lucky that he won't have to raise a family and build an empire with her!  All he has to do is hope she moves her crap soon!

• Love 6