Type keyword(s) to search

The Nightly Show: Season One Talk

I don't think I'd heard the phrase "keep it 100" before this show. Anyone else?

Larry Wilmore frankly isn't the source I'd think would be most connected to real urban culture, so I think this probably came to him through some of his writers. I believe it's been a go-to phrase in rap for awhile and bubbled up from the usual sources to get there.

For example, here's a Yahoo Answers entry on it from 4 1/2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's FAR older than that, but this is one of the earliest online references I was able to find: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100903120223AAoWqqL

Or here's a 2011 episode of the mega-shitty show "Bad Girls Club" entitled "Keeping it 100": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2077561/ -- figure if would have taken years to bubble up through rap lyrics, and before that actual street talk, to become an episode title on a crappy reality show.

Edited by Kromm

Preview of tomorrow night, from Twitter:

Paul (PJ) Rieckhoff ‏@PaulRieckhoff 

This will be fun. I'll be on @larrywilmore's new @nightlyshow tomorrow to talk @AmericanSniper and vets. At @IAVA, we always #KeepIt100.

• Love 1

It's rare for NYC based talk/current affairs shows to cancel.  They usually put the talent and essential staff who can't get home via subway up in nearby hotels.  Sometimes they'd ditch the guests though (it would be interesting to see Wilmore do an episode without any guests, although I suppose they could just replace any traveling guests with NYC natives).

According to Twitter, it's on. The travel ban goes into effect at 11 PM and I assume TNS has already taped by now. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Tonightly: @larrywilmore welcomes  @irving_nicholas, @PaulRieckhoff, @mtaibbi, and @sabrinajalees to talk about @AmericanSniper.
  • Love 1

I tried getting into this show but I just can't. I liked Wilmore on TDS but he just doesn't do it for me as a tv host. I never realized how nasally his voice is. Also it just isn't that funny. The panel discussion has been dome to death and is usually just discussion in an echo chamber. It's just not funny.

Was it just me or was the panel much more controlled last night?

Also looks like they will be doing the toss every Monday! Could expand that toss to @Midnight (espically last night Chris could've rubbed it in Larry's face that they were in LA) and have the comedians do a Keeping It 100 before their introductions.

Yeah, I think I might be done with this show. Last night wasn't keeping anything 100, it was just a lot of pandering. I'm a veteran, so I don't have a problem saying that. I'm also a journalist who spent four years covering the other side of the story, and I wish there had been someone on the panel who could have spoken more frankly against the movie, which is very offensive to a lot of people. Taibbi normally would have been more outspoken, but what was he going to say with the other side of that table staring him down? I know the show is very young, but there's just been too much about it that I can't get into.

• Love 2

This was a good panel. Not to dis the woman, but she really wasn't needed, and I think 3 people would be better. 

I liked the bald guy. He was fairly positive, with the 'we're on a comedy show talking about this? That's good with me.' 

I didn't see the movie, and I don't think I probably will. It doesn't seem to interest me. I'm on the side of, it's a movie. I've said before, I'm not a news junkie, but I watch the news everyday. I consider myself informed. I don't need a movie telling me what to think about war. It seems like the Rolling Stone guy had a fair point about how the movie kind of lacked context to ground it. 

From what I've read, it isn't so much the movie that's the problem but what this guy said in his book afterwards. Because he didn't come off as so nice. They didn't really get into that. 

I said over on Real Time that part of the problem is we're throwing the 'he's a hero' around far far far too much. The word has become so ubiquitous that it's really lost meaning. So people who think this guy's a hero when he later calls people savages and is a general asshole pisses them off because they want him to be something he's not. That's the real discussion I think they missed. 

• Love 2

I love, love, love Paul R (the bald guy). Whenever he's on Maddow, it's must-see tv for me. He's smart, articulate, quick on his feet & he really works for the US vets.

I agree with someone upthread: Sabrina (?) wasn't needed. But I learned something from the 3 males on the panel. I liked Tiabbi's admission of Rolling Stones error WRT the UVA rape story.

Hadn't heard of sniper Nick til last night. 33 kills in what amount of time??

• Love 1

I love, love, love Paul R (the bald guy).

Whenever I see him, I always have the urge to plant a big ol' lipsticky kiss on his head. I don't know why; other bald men don't affect me so. His head is smoochable.

• Love 1

From today's Comedy Central press release:

TONIGHT: Judy Gold and Dr. Holly Phillips - Discussing the anti-vaccination debate

Does this mean there will only be 2 people? That would be interesting, and prove that this young show is not tied into a rigid formula.

Dr. Phillips is is a medical contributor for CBS News, and Judy Gold is a comedian. When I heard tonight's topic was going to be vaccination, I wondered if there would be an anti-vaxxer on, but I can't imagine either of those people are anti-vax.

I love, love, love Paul R (the bald guy). Whenever he's on Maddow, it's must-see tv for me. He's smart, articulate, quick on his feet & he really works for the US vets.

I agree with someone upthread: Sabrina (?) wasn't needed. But I learned something from the 3 males on the panel. I liked Tiabbi's admission of Rolling Stones error WRT the UVA rape story.

Hadn't heard of sniper Nick til last night. 33 kills in what amount of time??

In four months, according to his book.

http://www.amazon.com/Team-Reaper-33-Kills-months/dp/1470022834

There is no debate about vaccinations. I've yet to hear a legit Doctor on a legit news source not say vaccinate your kids. There is no legit other side to this issue. L2

Unless they are debating why anti vaxxers are so woefully misinformed.

• Love 6

I'm gonna be controversial and say the "Keeping it 100" segment is what needs to go. A few days and it's already getting predictable.  I get this was a conscious attempt to develop a signature phrase and segment for the show, but when it's clear we know almost exactly what's going to happen, it's already outlived it's usefulness. 

I'm inclined to agree. Monday's questions were pretty lame also.

I haven't found the final Keep it 100 question to Larry all that good either. I can't believe his staff is doing a good job of picking the best submitted question. The ones chosen seemed flawed or trivial. 

• Love 3

I'm inclined to agree. Monday's questions were pretty lame also.

I haven't found the final Keep it 100 question to Larry all that good either. I can't believe his staff is doing a good job of picking the best submitted question. The ones chosen seemed flawed or trivial. 

Well if Larry and his staff are honestly "keeping it 100", maybe they'll realize those two segments are failures and use the time for something better.

• Love 1

I did like the woman comparing anti-vaxxers to climate change deniers. Although I disagree with her Keeping it 100. I would totally vaccinate anti-vaxxers kids. Also loved "do you think Tupac's still alive."

I love Judy Gold she was hilarious.

I did love Larry's take down of Jenny McCarthy.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the first part of the show. Larry's lines about "We don't call him a doctor…" "We call him Mr Fibs!" What were the other ones? I also liked his line about first world problems, like turning on CC when watching Netflix because the Doritos you're eating are too loud.

The panel segment? Not so much. I know that anti-vaxxer woman was uncomfortable, and I was uncomfortable for her, but she didn't add anything to show. I think she might have even done some harm because there are people who are going to be persuaded by her citing some whistleblower at the CDC.

Oh, I also enjoyed Larry, in response to the woman's "bombshell" about drug companies making a profit on vaccines, posing the question, "if somebody cures your kid of a major disease and makes a lot of money, are you mad at them?"

• Love 2

I know that anti-vaxxer woman was uncomfortable

My default position is to be generous with people whose job isn't Media Expert, but I talked myself out of my generosity with this woman, on account of she literally is responsible for sick people, some of whom will die. I wish someone had asked her what would it take for her to believe a vaccine to be safe, just to see her answer what I suspect is her default: Nothing. Nothing anybody could do, no stat, no new manufacturing procedure, no pinky-swear from Tibetan monks would convince her. Even her own experience with having been successfully and safely vaccinated didn't mean anything. Gah.

• Love 10

Judy Gold was great - "I've done many things to harm my kids", but she still vaccinates her kids.

I want the anti-vax woman to take her kids to a 3rd world country for an extended trip. Would she still be that opposed to vax? I have my small pox vax scar. The human race survived with smallpox around, but its better of without it around.

• Love 1

My default position is to be generous with people whose job isn't Media Expert, but I talked myself out of my generosity with this woman, on account of she literally is responsible for sick people, some of whom will die. I wish someone had asked her what would it take for her to believe a vaccine to be safe, just to see her answer what I suspect is her default: Nothing. Nothing anybody could do, no stat, no new manufacturing procedure, no pinky-swear from Tibetan monks would convince her. Even her own experience with having been successfully and safely vaccinated didn't mean anything. Gah.

I felt the same way. And I realized that they probably couldn't find someone who'd be a better advocate for her position, because credible doctors and scientists would never take this position. In a way that's the good news, because we no longer have all these celebrities willing to use their notoriety to spread this misinformation. However, you still find faceless Internet commenters regurgitating old, inaccurate misinformation that people repeat as fact.

• Love 1
Oh, I also enjoyed Larry, in response to the woman's "bombshell" about drug companies making a profit on vaccines, posing the question, "if somebody cures your kid of a major disease and makes a lot of money, are you mad at them?"

No shit. There's nothing wrong with making money. Of course, there's limits.

This was a stupid panel. With the exception of Judy Gold being funny. There is no legit argument against vaccinations. I get that having the woman on the panel was to show how way out there these people are.

They let her off the hook really. Ok, she got vaccinated, but still got measles. I got chicken pox twice. Some people who get the flu vaccine get sicker than others. The concept of actual risk v risk perception is the issue. No doctor is going to say the vaccine is 100% effective. But it is effective for an overwhelming majority of people.

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't ask questions. Go to your doctor and ask as many questions as you want to until you're reassured.

Honestly, if I were Disney, bring your vaccination papers to the park or you don't get in. Too bad.

Seriously though, Judy asked a good question: do you have trust issues? Where is the anti vax attitude coming from? Larry let her off the hook when she didn't answer whether she thinks she's putting other kids at risk. How do you explain Disney? That should have been her question.

If you're going to tackle these issues, then you have to go 100%. This panel was weak tea. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

This panel was the perfect example of the need for fewer people on it. They would have gotten into some interesting conversations if it was just, say, Judy Gold and the anti-vaxxer, and maybe have the doctor in a pre-taped segment before the panel discussion to lay out the scientific facts involved.

ETA: I did like the regular contributor's perspective of an African American male and the legacy of Tuskegee, though, so...I don't know who I would have jettisoned from the panel, darn it!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3

Yeah, but that's more of telling a joke than contributing to a contemporary issue. They could have just written that joke in the writers' room and have Larry fling it out there at the right time. 

I've yet to see the counter point to: My priority is to protect my kids. Do you understand that you're actually *not* doing that *and* putting other kids at risk?

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

The anti vaxxer mom, the "thinking moms" representative: maybe she was uncomfortable, but she is not a newbie in media approaches. This group is a hateful group who openly say they hate Autistics and make movies of their children in vulnerable moments (some grown children wearing nothing but a diaper, some screaming, some having meltdowns) to "prove" how autism is the end of the world. They always say that their children are so "severe", they have no life and theta they will not be worthy of any type of acceptance.

I know this woman (or know of her) and her discomfort cannot erase what she has said publicly about Autistics who lead a full life, even though they still need many supports and have meltdowns. They just don't expose themselves (or the families respect their children too much to expose them) for the world to see what everyone experience: vulnerabilities

• Love 3

Seriously though, Judy asked a good question: do you have trust issues? Where is the anti vax attitude coming from?

I think the doctor made a good comment, that people want to feel that they have control. The anti-vaxxers' reasoning is that they can keep their children from being autistic by refusing vaccinations. 

I've yet to see the counter point to: My priority is to protect my kids. Do you understand that you're actually *not* doing that *and* putting other kids at risk?

Right. Someone on the panel should have asked her how getting a life-threatening disease like measles was better than being autistic. Also, what should you say to a mother whose infant caught measles from your unvaccinated child?

• Love 2

The anti vaxxer mom, the "thinking moms" representative: maybe she was uncomfortable, but she is not a newbie in media approaches. This group is a hateful group who openly say they hate Autistics and make movies of their children in vulnerable moments (some grown children wearing nothing but a diaper, some screaming, some having meltdowns) to "prove" how autism is the end of the world. They always say that their children are so "severe", they have no life and theta they will not be worthy of any type of acceptance.

I know this woman (or know of her) and her discomfort cannot erase what she has said publicly about Autistics who lead a full life, even though they still need many supports and have meltdowns.

I had no idea. That is so disturbing.

And Sharpie, while I appreciated Judy Gold, I'd have been happier to hear the doctor take on the anti-vaxxer. Larry could have handled the jokes.

The anti vax mom was weak tea all over. I'd have felt bad for her if I didn't think her stance was nonsense and garbage.

I wish someone would have held her feet to the fire over her refusal to answer the whole "what are you afraid of?" question.  Because she tap danced the hell out of that answer, bumbling her way to "it's my job to protect my children" eventually.  Of course, I also wish they would have forced her to come right out and say "I don't give a shit if other people's kids get sick because of my ill-informed propaganda."   Oh, and that someone would have pointed out that it's really, really easy to paint a relationship between vaccinations and just about anything, since, when we were kids, the vast majority of kids were vaccinated.  So you could say that vaccinations cause cancer.  Because, hey, look, most of these cancer patients got vaccinated as children.  Someone teach this woman the difference between coincidence and causation. 

I wanted to smack her when the talk turned to Tuskogee, and she was over there going "exactly!!"  

• Love 6

The more I think of it, the more Larry's almost off-hand comment that Dads are not the ones in the forefront of the anti-vax thing has struck me.  It's certainly not that men are less susceptible to conspiracy theories and un-science, that's for sure. Are they simply ceding the childcare field of play to the womenfolk? (I also wonder if that's part and parcel with the I'm-more-Mom-than-you Olympics that get people so het up.)

Of course, I also wish they would have forced her to come right out and say "I don't give a shit if other people's kids get sick because of my ill-informed propaganda."

This.  The Onion restates your proposition: "I Don't Vaccinate Because It's My Right to Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back.

Edited by attica
  • Love 5
I would totally vaccinate anti-vaxxers kids.

Treating people without consent is a big medical ethics issue.  Even first aid/CPR training coaches you to ask before touching people.

Yes, Tuskegee would make someone distrustful, but vaccinations are as universal as medicine gets.

How far does anti-vax woman's distrust extend?  Is it just vaccines, or drug companies, or the medical community?  If you don't trust drug companies, do you not take any medications?

• Love 1

I was annoyed with the Tuskegee talk because the gentleman panelist seemed misinformed about that. The people in that experiment weren't purposefully infected with syphilis, but the reality of what happened was much worse. They took around 400 black men, most of whom were illiterate sharecroppers, in 1932 who were already infected and just watched the disease progress, because they wanted to see the effects of untreated syphilis. This lead to them infecting women with syphilis, having babies born with congenital syphilis, etc. Even when penicillin was available as a treatment, they refused to give it to them, giving them placebos instead and doing all kinds of unethical medical testing on them. When a whistle-blower came forth forty years later, they still wouldn't stop, stating they couldn't because some of the subjects were still alive and they needed to be able to autopsy their bodies to study the findings. It did lead to the passing of the 1974 National Research Act. There were conspiracy theories that they were deliberately infected with syphilis, but this wasn't the case. They just basically watched these men as their brains turned to swiss cheese and as they infected more and more people and did horrendous testing on them. So on top of that completely asinine anti-vaxxer lady, the Tuskegee talk kind of irked me because of how misinformed it was.

• Love 6

I think the guy was just making a bad joke. 

Because she tap danced the hell out of that answer, bumbling her way to "it's my job to protect my children" eventually.

She's not doing her job. I wish someone would have said that. I mean, what's the thing with not telling people they're being bad parents? There's no rule against it. 

• Love 3

It's not just kids—it's anyone with a compromised or weakened immune system. 

You're right, I should have worded that differently.  As one of those people with a crap immune system, anti-vaccination people both scare the hell out of me and piss me off. I don't want to die just because these people have decided that, for their children, autism is, literally, worse than death, and they're ill-informed enough to believe that their child will become autistic if they get vaccinations. 

• Love 3

How far does anti-vax woman's distrust extend?  Is it just vaccines, or drug companies, or the medical community?  If you don't trust drug companies, do you not take any medications?

Knowing who she is, it is probably just vaccines because "It will give the children THE AUTISM" (to be read with the voice of doom)

I don't know if this particular woman does what I am about to mention, but I know that some of the anti vaxxers are not against medicating the children. Actually, they use anything:

Bleach enema. Yes, they give the children bleach, through enema, to "cure THE AUTISM". Why? Because they believe gastrointestinal problems are a privilege of Autistics, and if the gut is "clean", the autism will go away.

I agree that there could be better 100 questions for everyone.  And I would have wanted to hear the anti-vaccine woman admit that there was no evidence that could convince her to start vaccinating.  It is a 1st world problem.  We've forgotten what smallpox and measles and polio epidemics look like.  Ebola terrified us because it's a deadly disease that has no cure or vaccine.  Maybe instead of using doctors, the medical community should start having senior citizens talking about iron lungs.

I also want to defend pharmaceutical companies.  The whole argument that "this drug/vaccine costs you 50 cents, why are you charging $30 for it" is disingenuous. I think pharma gets a worse rap than they deserve (admittedly, I did a college summer internship at 1...)  For every 1 drug that makes it to market, 99 drugs fail.  Either because they're not effective, or they work in animals but not humans, or they have side effects, or they can't be mass-produced efficiently.  So the profits from a successful drug/vaccine are being used to subsidize the R&D that went into the failed drugs.

I don't know what the solution is, but it seems on each panel they'll have 2 "comedic" panelists and 2 "serious" panelists.  Last night were the serious doctor, serious anti-vacciner, and 2 comedians.  That kind of hurts the discussion because there will be a serious discussion on risks and benefits of vaccines and someone feels obligated to make a joke.  Then again this is a comedy show, so they don't want it to turn into the McLaughlin group.  I have a feeling this is going to be a very small needle to thread

• Love 2

Tonight's guests are Zephyr Teachout, David Webb, Ted Alexandro and Hari Kondabolu. Webb is another African-American tea party guy. Teachout is a law professor. Alexandro and Kondabolu are comics (to quote futurechemist above: "it seems on each panel they'll have 2 'comedic' panelists and 2 'serious' panelists"). And of course we need disagreement, for "on the one hand/on the other hand." 

Then again this is a comedy show, so they don't want it to turn into the McLaughlin group.  I have a feeling this is going to be a very small needle to thread

My fear is that it's already fallen into its pattern as a combination of Bill Maher and John Oliver's shows. I would really, really love to see them shake up the format a little bit. (I am happy to see Kondabolu, though, who was a regular on "Totally Biased.")

• Love 2

I read a really good article about the class difference in anti-vaxers vs. the rest of us. Apparently the psychology is if the "poors" get the same vaccine it can't be good enough. It's an interesting premise because someone I know made the same argument about ACA. It can't be good healthcare if poor people get the same thing.

I turned it off when the anti-vax mother was only challenged by a comedian. I wanted a doctor there to shoot holes in her "facts". If you Google evolution you're going to get articles arguing creationism so do they believe Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs while populating the planet? 

Edited by ThomasAAnderson
  • Love 1

Doctors have professional ethics. They can't really tell someone to stfu unfortunately. They can say, 'you're misinformed on this issue, and let me help address your concerns though.' 

I'm late, but go fuck yourself Larry Wilmore, for giving an antivaxxer a platform to spread her views and neither refuting her nor shaming her for her malicious actions.

Point of fact: the entire antivaccine movement was kicked off by one man who had undisclosed conflicts of interest in two areas (he was funded by lawyers in a class action lawsuit against pharmaceutical companies, and he had pending patents for products that would have benefited financially from reduced use of the MMR vaccine), deliberately used horrible research methodology, and deliberately falsified data. Due to this paper which undermined the very nature of public health vaccinations, Andrew Wakefield was stripped of his license to practice.

Oh, and that CDC whistleblower claim? It's fake. Just Snopes it.

I'm a bit biased, seeing that I'm a public health student, but fucking idiot parents not vaccinating their kids are one of the only things where I'd happily see jackbooted thugs and crying children. Compulsory vaccination with medical exemptions should be a thing. Vaccinate your fucking children.

John Oliver already covered this topic and he did it better. There is nothing you can say to an antivaxxer but to say "You are a fucking idiot". No, I'm serious. There's a study out there showing that increased education regarding the benefits and safety of vaccination for antivaxxer parents actually correlates to a decreased likelihood of vaccination. They're like a cult. A maliciously stupid cult.

(Edited because I made this on mobile.)

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 17

Seriously though, Judy asked a good question: do you have trust issues? Where is the anti vax attitude coming from?

At their earliest days I had some sympathy for the anti-vaxxers, while I am completely pro-vaccinations. Back then there was the insistence that there was a preservative (timriasol, IIRC) that was added to save money and wasn't properly tested. A lot of the fuel was corporate distrust and we certainly have seen enough to get the idea that there are plenty of CEOs who won't look at the human costs in order to get a bigger profit in the quarterly report.

However, that ingredient was removed and the anti-vaxxers just jumped on to another reason to distrust vaccines.

And I think when the anti-vax mom made her comment about corporate profits, I wish Larry didn't go for the easy snark and saw the opportunity to ask, 'Is there a level of government regulation that would make you feel safer vaccinating your children? If the US made vaccinations a government service and took out that profit movie, would you feel better?" I think her answer would be no, but that could have taken the discussion in a more interesting place than the usual. (Though a black man bringing up Tuskegee in a discussion about not trusting medical authority certainly did offer a refreshing perspective.)

But overall, I would have liked a discussion of anti-vaccination views that wasn't immediately dismissive and tried to break down the anti-corporate paranoia and find the spot where it becomes irrational. Maybe that's because it's the left-wing version of climate change denial and I'm trying for a reassurance that I'm not being knee-jerk about my politics and that includes my disagreement with the anti-vaxxers.

Mars477, I found that snopes page. Thanks for the pointer, I figured her claim was bullshit but I wanted to know more about it.

Edited by Wax Lion
  • Love 2