Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E18: Add It Up

• Start Topic

I thought the end with Mere and Deluca was cute. Mere was smiling and looking beautiful and in the end that's all I really care about. So fling on my dear! Have a little romance with a younger guy. Mere deserves to have a little fun.

I liked the scene of Alex and Mere-- they have a lovely long term friendship. Jo? Don't really care about her issues but it will affect Alex so... we'll see. This is pretty much a soap opera so she will probably be Alex's long lost sister from another mother (same father) or some shit like that.

Anything Maggie is just annoying.

Oh but Linc and Amelia were ... ok. I didn't hate them.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, dmc said:

I would agree but I think he made Owen aware of it.  No one wants to see someone that they care about taken advantage of...he basically told Owen he’s prepared to put her first when it’s clear Owen is not willing to do so 

But he doesn't know what Owen is willing or not willing to do regarding Teddy.   I still think that he should let Owen and Teddy deal with the birth of their child and butt out for the time being.  Owen doesn't need a lecture from him. 

I find it rather amusing that he's casually screwed two other women, but now all of a sudden he's found twu wuv with a woman who is pregnant with another man's child.  He should have expected complications with such a relationship.    

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

But he doesn't know what Owen is willing or not willing to do regarding Teddy.   I still think that he should let Owen and Teddy deal with the birth of their child and butt out for the time being.  Owen doesn't need a lecture from him. 

I find it rather amusing that he's casually screwed two other women, but now all of a sudden he's found twu wuv with a woman who is pregnant with another man's child.  He should have expected complications with such a relationship.    

Actually we all know what Owen is willing to do because he’s been doing it since Teddy became a character.  His priorities are always elsewhere unless he’s floundering.   Then he runs back to her temporarily until his life stabilizes and then she’s relegated to the backburner again.  Owen could have stayed in Germany to fight for Teddy but he was only there because Amelia spurned him and as soon as Teddy called him out he hightailed back to Amelia again.  That’s their relationship.  I would agree that Teddy needs to defend herself but she has a weak spot where Owen is concerned which he exploits.  Amelia broke up with Owen if not he would still be with her.  And then as soon as she did, he’s interested again in Teddy.  He’s using her.  Koracick just pointed it out.  It may or may not work.  If Owen was unaware of how he’s been acting then Koracick might have given him some clarity on the situation.  He can either back off or choose to make Teddy a priority but I suspect Teddy is a back up for him.  

• Love 10

Owen never said he has any current interest in Teddy besides helping her through the pregnancy. So we don’t know anything else. He and Teddy have always been close friends. Tom and Teddy May be good together but he is not the baby’s father. I just don’t see Owen doing wrong here. If he ignored Teddy we would be saying he is a terrible father.

• Love 2

My daughter is sort of a nerd and is embarrassingly bad at high fives, so the awkward bungled high-five/ fist bump between Maggie and Glasses made me laugh. Also I thought math/pancreas girl was adorable and I liked her mom's Patagonia duds. Everything else was stupid.

Edited by BiteTheLime
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, dmc said:

Actually we all know what Owen is willing to do because he’s been doing it since Teddy became a character.  His priorities are always elsewhere unless he’s floundering.   Then he runs back to her temporarily until his life stabilizes and then she’s relegated to the backburner again.  Owen could have stayed in Germany to fight for Teddy but he was only there because Amelia spurned him and as soon as Teddy called him out he hightailed back to Amelia again.  That’s their relationship.  I would agree that Teddy needs to defend herself but she has a weak spot where Owen is concerned which he exploits.  Amelia broke up with Owen if not he would still be with her.  And then as soon as she did, he’s interested again in Teddy.  He’s using her.  Koracick just pointed it out.  It may or may not work.  If Owen was unaware of how he’s been acting then Koracick might have given him some clarity on the situation.  He can either back off or choose to make Teddy a priority but I suspect Teddy is a back up for him.  

These are all adults.  Owen and Teddy will work things out, whether they wind up together, or not.  Koracik is just looking through the window at them.  

But, enough about them.  I'm moving on.....

• Love 2

It's still weird to me to see Alex in a position of authority over Deluca. I know a lot of inappropriate stuff goes on at that hospital, but giving someone power over the person they seriously assaulted is uncomfortable.

I'm looking forward to seeing Michelle Forbes next week even though I don't really care about Jo or her storyline at all.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The story with the little girl didn't make much sense. They were monitoring her every bodily function and levels to be just perfect but then her glucose level shot up because she drank a juice pouch. So who the hell gave her a juice pouch if her glucose level was so critical? Did she get up and go down the hall and get one herself? Who found the empty juice pouch under her pillow, Deluca? Why was he searching under her pillow? The whole thing was so contrived. I knew from her reaction the second her mother gushed about her being able to go back to school she was going to sabotage the surgery. Apparently neither of the highly qualified doctors in the room, or her mother, are as observant as I am.

Qadri was the one who found the juice box.  I think she was looking at the machines, and then saw it under the pillow, so maybe it had slipped out a little bit.  We saw her at the end of one of the math scenes standing at the head of the bed looking very concerned, suddenly.

But they never explained where the juice box came from.  And mom never suggested maybe she could go to a different school once she was better if her current school was so bad she'd rather live in pain and/or die.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

It's still weird to me to see Alex in a position of authority over Deluca. I know a lot of inappropriate stuff goes on at that hospital, but giving someone power over the person they seriously assaulted is uncomfortable.

I'm a die-hard Alex fan, but I have to agree with this. I have no problem with Alex being Andrew's boss on a general level, but when they're in a conflict situation it still does and probably always will make me a little uneasy. It was not even that terrible. Alex had a good point as the attending and Andrew did stand up for himself. But knowing their history, conflict situations just don't work with those two. I wish they would just let them interact in a friendly or neutral way when they have to be in scenes together.

In other news I'm still massively disappointed Alex hasn't had one real story arc this entire season. And this was episode 18. I hope the story they started with Jo will be an actual storyline beyond the centric next week. And I hope Alex will get something to do then. Nevertheless it's no excuse for how he was treated this season.

• Love 10

My thoughts on the episode.....I really enjoyed Qadri and think she is just beautiful.  I hope they use her character more.  Glasses was even likable last night without the no-chemistry boyfriend.  Koracick talking to Owen the way he did just fell flat to me.  I am not buying the love story between him and Teddy since we have only really seen him pawing at her in past shows.  I am saying this as somebody who doesn't even like Owen and does like Koracick.  Amelia and Linc were really cute together, I am on board with this one.  Deluca....still nope.  I did think the math-off with the adorable patient was cute....I saw her sabotaging her operation a mile away but her interacting with the doctors was fun.  obviously this one was a fluff piece leading up to next week.                  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Owen never said he has any current interest in Teddy besides helping her through the pregnancy. So we don’t know anything else. He and Teddy have always been close friends. Tom and Teddy May be good together but he is not the baby’s father. I just don’t see Owen doing wrong here. If he ignored Teddy we would be saying he is a terrible father.

The difference for me was that Owen, who knows that Tom and Teddy are in a romantic relationship, chose to keep information from Tom regarding Teddy. What is the purpose of that? Wouldn't he want his friend to have the most support possible? If Owen is only interested in friendship with Teddy and being present in the child's life, why is he so threatened by Teddy having a romantic relationship with someone that isn't him? It's not like he's unfamiliar with the concept of co-parenting with a couple - he was around when Mark co-parented his baby with Callie while Callie was in a relationship with Arizona. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The story with the little girl didn't make much sense. They were monitoring her every bodily function and levels to be just perfect but then her glucose level shot up because she drank a juice pouch. So who the hell gave her a juice pouch if her glucose level was so critical? Did she get up and go down the hall and get one herself? Who found the empty juice pouch under her pillow, Deluca? Why was he searching under her pillow? The whole thing was so contrived. I knew from her reaction the second her mother gushed about her being able to go back to school she was going to sabotage the surgery. Apparently neither of the highly qualified doctors in the room, or her mother, are as observant as I am.

It was just like the other week on Station 19 with the woman who was trying to sneak into a hospital to see her son before a possible life or death operation. They dropped her off at Grey/Sloan and she apparently just got up and left bleeding from the head. Some great trained staff there! That's also what drove me crazy about the storyline especially when the girl was saying; "I hate school, everyone is stupid this and that and the boys hate me because I'm smarter than them." So, she just magically got this juice box with no one seeing her? That she snuck in her personal stuff when she had been in the hospital for days? Oh come on!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Qadri was the one who found the juice box.  I think she was looking at the machines, and then saw it under the pillow, so maybe it had slipped out a little bit.  We saw her at the end of one of the math scenes standing at the head of the bed looking very concerned, suddenly.

But they never explained where the juice box came from.  And mom never suggested maybe she could go to a different school once she was better if her current school was so bad she'd rather live in pain and/or die.

That's another thing, there were no alternatives and it was so: "In the moment thinking." I mean both Alex and Andrew made good points. Live in constant pain/or die than face having a normal life and moving on between contrive pre-teen/early teen stuff. It just came out all bad.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, readster said:

That's another thing, there were no alternatives and it was so: "In the moment thinking." I mean both Alex and Andrew made good points. Live in constant pain/or die than face having a normal life and moving on between contrive pre-teen/early teen stuff. It just came out all bad.

Actually I agree with you. I’m no Deluca fan but what he said to the mother is accurate his manner was just inappropriate.  My body my rights doesn’t apply to necessary medical procedures for a child.  If that were the case, I would have voted to no every blood test as a kid.  There’s a certain point where as a parent you need to be the adult.  

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, shantown said:

The difference for me was that Owen, who knows that Tom and Teddy are in a romantic relationship, chose to keep information from Tom regarding Teddy. What is the purpose of that? Wouldn't he want his friend to have the most support possible? If Owen is only interested in friendship with Teddy and being present in the child's life, why is he so threatened by Teddy having a romantic relationship with someone that isn't him? It's not like he's unfamiliar with the concept of co-parenting with a couple - he was around when Mark co-parented his baby with Callie while Callie was in a relationship with Arizona. 

It seems to me that Tom is the one acting threatened. I also don’t think it is Owen’s responsibility to keep Tom in the loop on things. If Teddy wanted Tom she could have asked Owen or someone else to get him.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

It seems to me that Tom is the one acting threatened. I also don’t think it is Owen’s responsibility to keep Tom in the loop on things. If Teddy wanted Tom she could have asked Owen or someone else to get him.

Also, when Owen got the message about Teddy, I think he was so concerned about her that he didn't even think about Koracik.  I don't think keeping him out of the loop was on purpose.  

• Love 1

I thought that the woman's chord swelled during surgery and that's why she became paralyzed. Usually on TV shows they wait to see if the swelling goes down but I guess the show was done with the storyline.

My question is, how did the kid get the juice box if she couldn't get out of bed? Hospital staff know better than to sneak her one when she's on the OR list.

19 hours ago, readster said:

The kid's plot was even cliche. Another problem is, it also shows how limited teens are. Even with Alex explaining how the insurance will only do so much and she is like: "Fine, whatever, I don't want the surgery so I don't have to face it."

Why are they letting the kid make the decisions? There's a reason that adults are responsible for children till they reach the age of majority.

And the solution was so easy -- as soon as she said she didn't want to go back to school, the mother should have said "Okay, after the operation we'll find a better school for you.  Or you can be home-schooled. We'll deal with it when you're healthy again."

13 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I'm with Richard.  I teach grammar to high-school students, and using a plural pronoun to refer to a single person really does bother me.  Sweden invented a set of gender-neutral pronouns that non-binary people can use; I would love for the English-speaking world to do the same.

Several languages, such as Hungarian have gender-neutral pronouns. It's time for English to get some. Male isn't the default anymore.

Owen could have stayed in Germany to fight for Teddy but he was only there because Amelia spurned him and as soon as Teddy called him out he hightailed back to Amelia again.  

Both time, before Germany and two weeks ago, Amelia broke up with Owen because she thought that Teddy was his endgame relationship. I don't trust that it will not end with Owen/Amelia again.

I am so tired of these people being unable to figure out what they really want. That includes Teddy if she gives up Koracik for Owen.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I hate that they’re doing the “old man having trouble keeping up with the times” thing. I’m only a few years younger than Richard, and tend to nitpick grammar, but I have no problem with “they/them” being used in this way. What you are called (name or pronouns) is an intrinsic part of your identity, and people should be called whatever they prefer. The concept isn’t that hard!

I agree with the commenters above who wish Teddy would pick Owen and they’d both go to Germany, never to be seen again. There have to be better roles for both McKidd and Raver out there somewhere. And keep Koracick on the show, please! I loved his calling out Owen on how Teddy is never his first/only choice.

Loved Math Girl, she was adorable and I’d love to see her character stick around a little while. But for someone so smart with math and logic, you’d think she’d have figured out that not having the surgery was a dumb idea. She can’t live in the hospital forever!

BTW, I thought it was interesting that Qadri mentioned viable islet cells during the surgery. Is there some way of preserving/reimplanting those so she could still make her own insulin? Or is that just the show going all science fiction again?

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Also, when Owen got the message about Teddy, I think he was so concerned about her that he didn't even think about Koracik.  I don't think keeping him out of the loop was on purpose.  

Owen was literally in a face-to-face conversation with Tom when he was paged. I’m just mad because I would much rather watch Tom and Owen being friends rather than this love triangle BS. Have them in a good-natured competition with the babies (Leo and Teddy’s baby) about who can do the alphabet faster or crawl first or something. Do some wacky “2 men and a baby” hijinks. Have some sort of comedy with the three parents rather than dragging all three characters down with this contrived drama. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, shantown said:

Owen was literally in a face-to-face conversation with Tom when he was paged.

Yes but I still wouldn't expect him to be thinking about Koracik in the heat of the moment. 

20 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

The hook up stories are so predictable.  Of course Amelia and Linc would get together again at the end. 

So you think next weeks astounding TV will be Jo finding out that her and Alex are brother and sister?

I have a hard time believing the show would go that route, considering how long Alex and Jo have been together. I mean aside from the gross incest factor, that is a lot of time to invest in the build up of a couple, just to take all hope away from them ever being together again.

But I saw a promo where they are giving a warning about sensitive content, so it has to be something more than, her mother/father is a terrible person.

I'm kind of surprised Jo went by herself. That is pretty gutsy.

5 hours ago, izabella said:

Also, if this girl is better at math then all those doctors, what the hell is she doing at a regular school? That either makes her a genius or makes all the doctors at Grey-Sloane a lot dumber than I thought. She should skip some grades or be with other genius kids at a special school.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I have a hard time believing the show would go that route, considering how long Alex and Jo have been together. I mean aside from the gross incest factor, that is a lot of time to invest in the build up of a couple, just to take all hope away from them ever being together again.

But I saw a promo where they are giving a warning about sensitive content, so it has to be something more than, her mother/father is a terrible person.

I'm kind of surprised Jo went by herself. That is pretty gutsy.

I'm pretty sure they'll make Jo the product of rape. The way they're building it up with a devastated Jo in the end of this episode and the promo for next week, I'd be surprised if it were anything else. I'm also not a fan of one tragedy after another being piled on Jo. It's so much at this point, it stopped moving me a long time ago. But if they do this story justice, I'll take it. Like others have said, she had nothing going on all season.

As for her going alone, it really bothers me that we didn't see how that decision was made. I'm sure Alex would have gone with her. So why didn't he? Maybe she told him she had to do this alone. But I can only guess and that really annoys me. Why was there no scene where they discussed the trip? But that would have meant actual meaningful screentime together and we can't have that.

Edited by GSMHvisitor
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

All Owen had to say when he got the page was “it’s about Teddy”.

He wasn't thinking about him so that's why he didn't say anything.

So, we can agree to disagree about that. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

that is a lot of time to invest in the build up of a couple, just to take all hope away from them ever being together again.

Try telling that to Japril fans. 

• Love 11

Go, Koracick! As much as I want to see him end up with Meredith, I like how he put Owen in his place.

I'm with Richard on the whole pronoun thing, sorry.

I knew the girl was going to tank her surgery. Could a school for gifted kids be a possibility?

So, what horrible thing about her past did Jo find out about?

On 3/20/2019 at 9:21 PM, funnygirl said:

They've wasted Tom Koracick on Teddy since it seems inevitable that she'll reunite with Owen. He should've been Meredith's new "boyfriend". 

^this

• Love 3

Why was there no scene where they discussed the trip? But that would have meant actual meaningful screentime together and we can't have that.

That would would have meant doing only one adult abandoned-infant story badly, instead of both. 

I understand the premise of high school with scalpels. I realize that Maggie is as many grades behind her peers, socially, as she was flung ahead, academically. I have to remember that somehow, no one was willing to adopt baby Brooke the foundling, so Jo had no parents with whom to discuss her first mother, working out a perspective that included her. Still.

I don't believe that sixth-grade Maggie would have ingenuously blurted her story over the airwaves. Grade-schoolers keep their secrets. And I don't believe that adult Jo -- who left her abusive husband, changed her name and hid from him successfully, while trying to make sense of the shame she felt  -- wouldn't spare a moment to think through the best approach to take with this volatile new information. Knowledge that renders Jo and her mother uniquely vulnerable to one another, once again. 

• Love 4
On 3/21/2019 at 9:42 PM, dmc said:

Do they think we forgot he was sleeping on Jackson’s couch a couple episodes ago

I don't know where his nice digs came from, but we did see the outside of the place as he introduced it to Meredith, and then his sister and dad drove up. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, Madding crowd said:

DeLuca was out of line in yelling at the girl’s mother and insisting she be forced into surgery. Yes he talked to her later but he was still unprofessional.

It was unprofessional, but as usual Karev's ego overreacted. Karev didn't even notice until after he'd verbally abused Andrew a few times the irony of how Andrew's interaction with the mom at that point in time was just like a thousand interactions Karev has had with patients and families. 

23 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Michelle Forbes next week even though I don't really care about Jo or her storyline at all.

I'd love to see her go all Admiral Cain on her son-in-law. Heh.

19 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I hate that they’re doing the “old man having trouble keeping up with the times” thing. 

Using the improper pronoun is not OK, but I guess the writers think ageism is OK. Because of course it would be the old guy who can't keep up, and not anyone in the 20-40 age range. [/sarcasm]

12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Good point. But I still don't think they'd make Alex and Jo related.

Agreed. Grey's may be a soap opera, but it's not at All My Children levels. Not yet, anyway ... 

• Love 3
On 3/22/2019 at 9:35 AM, krankydoodle said:

This.  I love Alex.  But I was so uncomfortable when Alex was dressing him down after and they were alone.  It wasn't more than we've seen Webber do hundreds of times and If it wasn't those two characters I wouldn't have thought twice.  As it was, I squirmed a bit.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5

Does Owen know Koracic had a child? Somehow I think he doesn't have that information. Not that it's a huge deal, but Owen is an entitled dick and Tom was right: Teddy has never been number 1 for Owen. I also blame Teddy for not having someone page Koracic too--but that was just so Owen could leave Tom there at the birthing class, out of the loop. And so we could have the long-overdue confrontation.

For people who are so smart, changing schools would be simpler than...oh, I don't know...SUFFERING in pain for the rest of your life. Deluca's methods were harsh, but he was right. "Her body, her decision?" Ridiculous mom.

The whole episode felt strange and disjointed and kooky and not in a fun way.

• Love 7
On 3/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, Gladrags said:

Grey's may be a soap opera, but it's not at All My Children levels. Not yet, anyway ... 

Or Young & the Restless levels, either.

I wouldn't think they'd go there with Alex and Jo just because of how long the couple has been together and also because they actually are married.  Although it did cross my mind during the Y&R story that perhaps a couple truly in love in that situation could stay together if they never have kids, if somehow they could get past the ick factor.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, statsgirl said:

I hate the terrible approach this show has to doing research. Maggie brings in a bunch of plants and video games and takes readings on her friends and she's supposed doing real research.

I didn't get Alex's reasoning at all. DeLuca was out of line because of his emotions, which is SOP on this show, but why did Alex ban him from the surgery after he'd talked to the girl?

I was surprised how cute Linc and Amelia were.  Unfortunately Owen and Teddy still aren't. The harder Owen tries, the more anti-chemistry they have.

I totally agree with Richard about how fast the world is changing and how he has to run as fast as he can just to stay in the same place. That said, I solve the problem of pronoun's by using the person's given name.

I thought the same on the research question. Why this show likes to go into research again and again in a half ass way I don't know. People suddenly pop up with "studies" that get dropped after a week or two. Research is not interesting tv so why they keep using it for storylines I don't know. It also sets up storylines where you know the result--we know no one on this show is going to cure [insert major disease] so there is no tension/interesting result to expect.

I thought Richard should address his issue with referring to "the patient" whenever the pronoun issue felt awkward to him.

• Love 5
On 3/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, Ohwell said:

Wait.  How many women has Koracik screwed in the relatively short time he's been at Sloan Grey Mercy Death Humping Hospital? 

I absolutely love this name for the hospital!  

I have no great love for Owen, but I do feel that his character has been treated miserably by the writers.  When he first started on the show, he was a kick-ass trauma surgeon with some PTSD issues.  When I watch old shows from that time, I hardly recognize him.  I think he's being very badly served by this whipsawing back and forth between Amelia and Teddy.

Going all the way back to his marriage to Cristina, the only constant has been that he wanted a child.  Well, now he's got one.  This should free him to have a relationship with a woman solely for the relationship, without having to be concerned with whether or not she wants to bear a child.  Who that woman is, well, I don't know.

Whatever happens, I like Koracik and don't want him to leave the show.

• Love 8
On 3/22/2019 at 3:43 PM, CarpeFelis said:

I hate that they’re doing the “old man having trouble keeping up with the times” thing. I’m only a few years younger than Richard, and tend to nitpick grammar, but I have no problem with “they/them” being used in this way. What you are called (name or pronouns) is an intrinsic part of your identity, and people should be called whatever they prefer. The concept isn’t that hard!

What I liked abut it was that what Richard had a problem with was a pedantic grammar issue.  He didn't have an issue with the patient being gender queer.  He had a problem with the pronoun and even he admitted he was being an arse about it.   And unlike my mother he didn't lecture them on gender neutral singular person pronouns they could adopt instead.  So Richard is winning this round.   

What worked for me was that he acknowledged he was being hypocritical because in a similar situation is sucked for him.   

Yes, it didn't have to be the old guy.   But I don't mind that it was because it had to be somebody and who else int the hospital do you see in that story?   But he didn't fight it.  He groused about it for a bit and then he admitted to being an arse.   

• Love 4