Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Project Daedalus

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Maybe they will find an ending for the show that would explain Burnham's absence from classic ST.

I don't know why the show needs to explain that. Because we didn't know of something, doesn't mean it didn't exist.  Kirk could have had an uncle who wiped out a planet. Uhura could have been queen of a nation and left it for Star Fleet. Khan could have started an LGBTQ nightclub, a la The Birdcage.

And Spock could have had an adopted sister who ran away and made his human side feel badly about it, and the whole incident is difficult to discuss. Kirk may have seen it in Spock's personnel file, and decided not to bring it up unless Spock did. 

The more I watch Discovery, the more it seems like they are coloring in white space, not revising canon. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 3/20/2019 at 7:58 AM, Ottis said:

To be fair, he emoted quite a bit in The Menagerie.

I love Pike here and how the show is setting him up to be the captain Kirk held in so much respect.

Both of those tie-ins are a nice link to canon. If that dour security officer becomes No.1, and loses her mouthpiece, that's another tie in.

We have already seen Number 1.  She was played by Rebecca Romijn.  

On 3/21/2019 at 9:38 AM, Ottis said:

The more I watch Discovery, the more it seems like they are coloring in white space, not revising canon. 

I really love the way you worded this.

Burnham is exhausting, and she is my least favorite character, but I can tolerate her for all the awesomeness Pike and Georgiou are bringing.  And Ash is yummy.  

I wonder if the makeup was getting tiresome or if the actress was starting to react to it, because Sarah Mitich played Airiam up to "Will you Take my Hand"  and is continuing to be on the show as Lt. Nisson, and Hannah Cheesman did a number of episodes as Airiam this season.  I do wish we had more backstory on Ariam before today.  

• Love 1

One minor thing I found distracting is that Hugh was wearing what looked like an early 21st C suit with a shirt. I do like his arc and how he didn't go back to being what he was before Ash killed him. I liked his conversation with Cornwall, the guy clearly needs more therapy.

So did we all miss it or was there some explanation as to why the hell Pike didn’t use the transporter to either get them out of there or pluck Airiam out of space?  Seems like a huge plot hole. It’s bothersome if it was missed. 

I keep getting the tech from The Orville confused, ie no transporter.   

The Discovery could sure use Mercer’s security chief.

Possibly a drinking game whenever the word logic is said.  I’m guessing 50+.   Spock was logical, but extremists?  Come on.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sometimes I get the cast confused. Which is really weird.

LOL! Same here. I didn't help when they cast Rebecca Romijn as Number One since I tend to confuse her with Adrienne Palicki (watching the Librarians and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. simultaneously addled my brain for good when it comes to kick-ass, tall blondes, even whey they go brunette).

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, CaptainE said:

So did we all miss it or was there some explanation as to why the hell Pike didn’t use the transporter to either get them out of there or pluck Airiam out of space?  Seems like a huge plot hole. It’s bothersome if it was missed. 

I thought they tried but Owe said that they couldn't get a lock or Control was interfering or something.  I'll have to go back but I could swear that Pike did ask.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:25 PM, Mom x 3 said:

I thought they tried but Owe said that they couldn't get a lock or Control was interfering or something.  I'll have to go back but I could swear that Pike did ask.

Did you find it?  This is very disappointing if they missed it.  I’ll have to rewatch.

Watching STD takes a lot of effort: there is the normal sci-fi suspension of belief - and then there is the extra suspension of belief needed for STD's science and logic:

• Why would Stamets, working on the spore drive issue, need to work in the same room as Burnham and Spock? 
  • Why would Stamets' spore drive widget be connected to the power for the entire room?
  • Isn't a mine field supposed to be dangerous because you can't see them? These mines looked pretty visible. Why wasn't Discovery firing on any of them? 
  • Why is Hugh still on Discovery? They are not on a five year mission or far from space stations. He should be on leave and under observation for PTSD. 
  • Are the Red Sphere, the Red Angel, the Evil AI running Section 31 and the computer virus from the time-altered-probe supposed to be connected? It all seems very convoluted. 

Another issue with Stamets: he was going to leave Discovery - but the entire ship, with the spinning saucer disks, is built around the spore drive, which is completely useless without Stamets. (To be fair, the spore drive is also useless whenever it interferes with the plot.) 

I was disappointed that STD only gave Ariam a backstory in the episode where she was killed off. Is that the only way we are going to find out more about the rest of the bridge crew?  Surely they could spare us some of Burnham's repetitive  childhood flashbacks to focus on some of the other crew members. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 3/16/2019 at 1:28 PM, Latverian Diplomat said:

Presumably, she was wearing a standard, human issue space suit that supplied a nitrogen oxygen mix, and she still needs her gadget to make that breathable for her. 

You would think that her suit and hey even her quarters would supply her own kind of air, that she wouldn't wear her single point of failure device on her face (especially working in security where she could expect to get into a tussle now and then, etc.) but that would be thinking about this more than the writers that just wanted her to have an obvious weakness to take her out of most of the fight.

Especially considering Airiam clocked her that time in the lab. "So... You're a Barzan. You need that face thing to breathe. Huh." *Mental note to use in incapacitating her later on* 

On 2/21/2020 at 9:48 AM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Especially considering Airiam clocked her that time in the lab. "So... You're a Barzan. You need that face thing to breathe. Huh." *Mental note to use in incapacitating her later on* 

"If I take your mask off, will you die?"

Bane: It would be extremely painful...

• Love 1
On 3/15/2019 at 8:21 AM, marinw said:

So Airiam’s shuttle crashed,  she was badly injured, and then she got Borged? Is that what happened? I keep comparing her to Future Pike after his accident. They only way to shoehorn STD into the TOS era is to accept that the technology has to regress within the next decade  

I imagine you could blame some of it on the Klingon War. I’m sure they lost many advanced facilities.   Or maybe they have to get to you very fast to do the work. 

But yes the clumsy box is hard to explain away.  He should have had better communication options. 

• Love 1

"No sentient life." We only saw a few planets destroyed: it's quite a leap to say the Angel (or whatever) intends to wipe out all sentient life.

"Sensors are saying we're upside down"!? Because of course, there's up & down in space!

Of course, we got the classic "Let's split up! We can take more damage that way!" on boarding the space station. And I get it's hard to attack a colleague - if only phasers had a stun setting that allowed you incapacitate rather than kill... And when Airiam was shutting down life support, I couldn't help thinking: "If only you were wearing a suit designed to operate in space! Put your helmet back on!"

Were they trying to imply Airiam was in love with Tilly (it was her feelings toward Tilly that seemed to get through to her human side)? That might have been some personal history we could have learned in an episode before she died. But it wouldn't be about Michael, so I guess there was no time for it.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:51 AM, Latverian Diplomat said:

I wonder why Burnham didn't rush over to Nhan to see if she was OK. And no one on the bridge seemed to give a shit about her either. Turns out they aren't all heartless idiots, they had to do that to set up Nhan's surprise opening of the airlock. Bad writing IMHO.

But the Galaxy revolves around Michael and Nhan has no connection to her!

• Love 4

Michael bailed on helping her and bailed on pushing the robot lady out the airlock even after she was ordered to do it. I would honestly not put her on another away mission after that, but I'm sure nobody cares.

Michael was ready to go all Vulcan Hello on the Klingons in S1:E1 but now she can't even pull the switch on a rogue android who is trying to obliterate the cosmos? Epic fail, writers.

The best part? Stamets being unimpressed by Special Snowflake Spock. More of this, please.

• Love 4
On 9/19/2019 at 7:24 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

I was disappointed that STD only gave Ariam a backstory in the episode where she was killed off. Is that the only way we are going to find out more about the rest of the bridge crew?  Surely they could spare us some of Burnham's repetitive  childhood flashbacks to focus on some of the other crew members. 

Writing you from the future to agree with this sentiment.  There are clearly main bridge crew members who are in every episode and maybe get 5 words and feel like they may as well be in the airlock.  The show seems very interested in plot over character outside of the main handful. Pity, as it feels like lost opportunities.

• Like 1
On 9/16/2023 at 11:40 PM, Mr. R0b0t said:

Writing you from the future to agree with this sentiment.  There are clearly main bridge crew members who are in every episode and maybe get 5 words and feel like they may as well be in the airlock.  The show seems very interested in plot over character outside of the main handful. Pity, as it feels like lost opportunities.

Seriously, I understand you don't like the show, and that is fine. It is certainly different than the other star trek shows. 

Still,  Discovery has spent a lot of time developing a lot of characters. They just haven't been (necessarily) the bridge crew. They have also covered a lot of ground and developed characters (like Pike and Spock) that they left behind.  Meanwhile, the SNW Enterprise feels like a large, yet fairly empty and underpopulated ship, in many ways, and focuses on a small group of people.

Discovery really has put relationships and character above plot,

On 9/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, Affogato said:

Seriously, I understand you don't like the show, and that is fine. It is certainly different than the other star trek shows. 

Still,  Discovery has spent a lot of time developing a lot of characters. They just haven't been (necessarily) the bridge crew. They have also covered a lot of ground and developed characters (like Pike and Spock) that they left behind.  Meanwhile, the SNW Enterprise feels like a large, yet fairly empty and underpopulated ship, in many ways, and focuses on a small group of people.

Discovery really has put relationships and character above plot,

Oh I quite enjoy the show, and am working my way through my first watch.  I just felt like there were some missed opportunities.  I'm further along now and they are expanding the roles of some of the others now.

7 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Oh I quite enjoy the show, and am working my way through my first watch.  I just felt like there were some missed opportunities.  I'm further along now and they are expanding the roles of some of the others now.

Sorry. So many people ketch about the show. 

I'm guessing moving beyond the bridge was a choice.