Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Modern Families

• Start Topic

I read the description above and wondered how we could possibly be close to the finale already. Then I realized that it is indicative of my (lack of) investment in the season that I would have to think HARD to name all the remaining designers. As long as Michelle doesn't win, I honestly do not care who does. Such a dreadful season and so glad the mothership has moved back to Bravo.

• Love 11

Just started watching this episode- this season has been beyond horrendous and so not good TV -  bad fashions, nasty designers, good designers being sent home but “pets” being kept on, judges who are so biased and seem to not know what fashion should be and not be, stupid challenges and to little time to deliver a product, Anne the “mentor”, Alyssa’s outfits.....

And the politically correct challenges 

Edited by Stats Queen
Yet another reason
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I haven't been paying too close attention to this season. It's not good. And omg I cannot stand Anne! She's just awful. "Uh who cares what your 'clients' want, it's all about the JUDGES!!!!" Girl shut up. 

And then Anne becomes the judge.  I don't even think I care who leaves.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Melig8r said:

Yeah, what happened to "she's your mentor, not your judge"?  And, while I know the idea of an anonymous runway is a myth at this point, Anne flat out knows which designs are whose.  And how well they integrated her suggestions.  Way to be unbiased.

On the plus side, how much do I love Dmitry speaking Russian?  Lots.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 23

Ugh...such unnecessary drama in letting us believe that someone was going to be eliminated. All of them should have been sent home so the viewers could be put out of their misery.

Biddell deserved the win. At least there was some cohesion to his collection. I’m still trying to figure why Dmitry and Michelle created those looks. Some were simply hideous.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 16

Of course they had to judge their whole time there ey had to keep their pets, who if they weren’t pets would have been eliminated weeks ago.

But at least Biddell got the win - he deserved it. Really, the should have just sent the other 3 home...

• Love 9

I'm happy with the judges' decision to award Biddell the win for this challenge and to send all 4 to the finale. That's fine. I would have sent Michelle home for that tragic pink pantsuit on the grandma, but I think we all see that Michelle is the judges' darling this season and nothing would send her home. That said, I liked the dress she made. And the coveralls were clearly a hit with Dylan but no doubt Michelle was inspired by the coveralls/jumpsuits Biddell has been wearing all season.

Edited by GoldaVining
grammar matters
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

And the politically correct challenges 

40 minutes ago, Archery said:

There are no men in modern families?

In agreement with the above, BUT remember this is the Project Runway universe in which no one can make clothes to fit a mature man.  Or at least no one after season 5.  
So, they realized they could hit a ground rules homerun by omitting mature men from the families.  

Wasn't that special? ____the Church Lady

• LOL 6
  • Love 11

I watched from my DVR and came here with 10 minutes left and knew they weren’t going to eliminate anyone.  Surprise!   Not.

There was a whole lot of ugly tonight*.  But the families seemed happy so that’s good I guess.

*Michelle’s grandma’s look was just tragic.   Bidell cracked me up when he commented about happy Grandma and Irina’s adorable little boy and how he was screwed.

• Love 13

Another episode that was almost wholly crap. Biddell was clearly the winner, with an adorable outfit for his teen girl, a cool ensemble for the (preteen?) boy, and awesome dress and jacket for the mom, so the faux agony from the judges over who was best was ridiculous. And who scripted the "drama" that followed? Each judge having to say, "I want to see more from _____" or "_____ has shown so much growth". 

Oh, bullshit. It was clear that no one was being eliminated. 

Dimitri's outfit for the young man in his family looked like something Gramps would put on to go to a senior early bird buffet, and the pink velvet top with ill-fitting puff  sleeves? NO! Irina's stuff was boring and ill-fitting (and if you have to tell people it's blue and not black...). Michelle? I have to give her props for committing to the wild fabric since her client loved it, and the jacket was killer - I think that black or navy pants may have made the outfit worse. Her jumpsuit was good but it was hard to see the detail because of the color, but overall I liked what she did (and I'm no great fan of hers).

Dimitri or Irina should have been eliminated, in my opinion.

There's been some commentary here and on the thread for the new season of PR about PRAS seeming so dreary. Tonight I wondered whether it's the Botox. Alyssa and Georgina can barely manage to make facial expressions.

Why am I still watching? Hell, I don't know, I guess I'm not a quitter, LOL.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 17

This whole season can be summarised by an exasperated sigh and an eye roll.

And here is how the finale is gonna go down: Bidell and one other will be top 2, they will fawn over Bidell, emphasize that its a really close call and then choose the American designer.

Edited by Aulty
Adding finale prediction.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I haven't been paying too close attention to this season. It's not good. And omg I cannot stand Anne! She's just awful. "Uh who cares what your 'clients' want, it's all about the JUDGES!!!!" Girl shut up. 

6 hours ago, Melig8r said:

It was total bullshit. How can she say to ignore what the client wants? What's the point of being a designer if you don't have clients? And then to bring Anne in as a surprise judge, just bullshit.

5 hours ago, MrsClaus said:

You knew they would have to do something to keep Michelle from going home with her non cohesive set of clothes.

Instead of shaving the sides of her head Michelle should have just had the word "winner" cut into her hair.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I rolled my eyes when Alyssa excitedly told the designers that this week they had two days an $400 for the challenge, as if they should be cheering. Great, but they had to make THREE outfits with that time and money so the average time and money they were given was actually less than usual when you divide it up ($133 per person and they had to make 1.5 outfits per day).

Anne's "advice" that the designers should only care about pleasing the judges (not the clients) made no sense because in EVERY real person/client challenge we've seen on PR, the designers who did not please their clients got criticized by the judges.

I found it hilarious that Irina doesn't like people complaining.

I laughed when Michelle said she had the best chance for winning this challenge because she makes normal clothes for her clients. You call the crap you make "normal" yet you always go on and on about how your clothes are different and unique? Okay. Dylan was adorable, but his head to toe black outfit (jumpsuit) was so boring, especially from a distance. I'm glad she listened when Danuta said the black pants were boring and she switched back to the brightly colored pants since her client clearly was not happy. She was hilarious confidently dancing down the runway. Dagmara's striped dress looked so big and baggy and ill fitting. The three looks/fabrics went together at all.

Dmitry's idea to make palazzo pants for the mom because she  doesn't like dresses was a good idea - until he mentioned the dusty rose velvet. Noooooo. Tina's black dress was a more modern version of what Dmitry's been doing all season, but it worked for me. The embroidered flowers on the shoulder were subtle because they were the same color as the dress and the cut outs on the edge of the skirt gave it some interest without showing too much skin (ahem, IRINA). Aww, Nicholas looked like he didn't know what to do with his arms on the runway, like he just realized, "Oh, crap, I'm on tv right now!" and panicked. His outfit was boring. The top he put on Tess was not flattering. It made her look like she needed a more supportive bra. The fabric choice was bad and dated which ended up making her look like one of those people who is still wearing the same hairdo from when she was in high school decades ago.

Evan can suck it for trying to take Dmitry's fabric. Dmitry got it first, dude. You snooze, you lose, man. Samantha was definitely working it on the runway, despite the tacky and infantalizing yellow bows going up and down the front of her leggings. I loved that Charito took her time to saunter down the runway. I hated the neckline of that jacket though. It looked like something you would wear if you wanted to play a party game where people see how many cheetos they can throw into your top. Jonathan looked so confident, but he had one of the least creatively designed outfits on the runway. A t-shirt, jeans, and varsity jacket? I couldn't believe the judges were so excited about his matching socks. Guys, if THAT has you excited, there's something wrong aka the rest of the runway was boring as fuck. And why was Evan dressed as a UPS driver on the runway?

I liked that Irina gave Jess a sexy pencil skirt. I hate when the designers get a curvy/bigger than size 0 person in these client challenges and try to cover up their bodies with loose tents. Although I didn't love the top, I thought the silhouette was a nice contrast to the sleek pencil skirt, and I liked the bright yellow trim going down the front. Avery was the cutest! I liked the yellow stripe to tie it to his sister's top. Yesenia's top looked kind of like something Dmitry would design aka lacy peasant top. I think if she had put one yellow stripe on the top (either on the waist or on the off the shoulder), it would have made it more cohesive as a group. I cracked up that Alyssa concluded her critique with "It didn't work for me...but good job, Irina."

No surprise that they kept all four designers. I can't wait to see what the designers send down the runway for the finale. Oh, wait, I already know. Irina will have hoochie dresses that are slit within a millimeter of showing bathing suit parts, Dmitry will have old lady dresses with cutouts, Michelle will have some hideous 70s fug, and Evan will have a bunch of loose baggy clothes that are flattering to no one. I'm so glad this season is finally almost over.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Men walk runways, too, but dressing adult males ain't really PR's thang.

My opinions of tonight's outfits ranged from dislike to hate. 

I can't see Dmitry and his Chez Frump aesthetic winning. Michelle? As IF!

I think Irina will win.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

That was a whole lot of ugly. At one point I'm sure I was covering my face and screaming "my eyes! MY EYES!". Jesus. Evan's was the best except for that godawful print, which looked like Big Bird threw up. It was surpassed in ugliness only by Michelle's. Gawd. Sale rack at Dress Barn for Grandma. Dmitry, seriously? Dusty rose? The color otherwise know as Certain Death on Project Runway? Dmitry's cocky, though. He knows he's the chosen one. He can even get away with that color, which has slain countless other designers.

Guys, I can't. Watching the new PR makes this outing even more lame. I don't care who wins. I just want it to be over, like a long commute or a work meeting.

• LOL 8
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dmitry's idea to make palazzo pants for the mom because she  doesn't like dresses was a good idea - until he mentioned the dusty rose velvet.

I liked that Irina gave Jess a sexy pencil skirt. I hate when the designers get a curvy/bigger than size 0 person in these client challenges and try to cover up their bodies with loose tents.

I think Dmitry had this problem with the palazzo pants outfit.  Speaking as someone who has always been on the larger side, I understand that you can wear loose pants with a close fitting top or slim cut pants with a big loose top but if you wear both loose pants and a big loose top you will look like the side of a barn.  If he had fitted that jacket more or as Alyssa said, made it hit a little bit shorter so you could see that she had a waist, it would have been more flattering.  The fit I mean.  Nothing was gonna help that color. 

• Love 8

Evan can suck it for trying to take Dmitry's fabric. Dmitry got it first, dude. You snooze, you lose, man.

Yeah, seriously.  And what's with all the catty remarks he's directed Dmitry's way, all season long?  Is he just that jealous or what?  Yeah, I'm sure you were "happy" all four of you are going to the final, Biddell.  Now pull my other leg.

Jonathan looked so confident, but he had one of the least creatively designed outfits on the runway. A t-shirt, jeans, and varsity jacket? I couldn't believe the judges were so excited about his matching socks. Guys, if THAT has you excited, there's something wrong aka the rest of the runway was boring as fuck.

This isn't even the first time he's resorted to the t-shirt, jeans, jacket look this season!  Biddell was questioning why Dmitry was still in the competition, at this point, but I've been questioning, week after week, why he's still there.  True, he sends well-made clothes down the runway, but... they are just clothes.  Where's the design element?  He hasn't sent anything down that runway, all season, that we haven't seen before.

Mind you, I'm not saying this has applied only to him, though I do think, overall, his garments have been the most pedestrian in design.  He's just the one who annoys me the most, with his constant patting himself on the back and his delusional belief he's burning up the runway with original designs that are so much better than everyone else's.  Dude, no.

And why was Evan dressed as a UPS driver on the runway?

He's been wearing those coveralls a lot this season. I'd gotten to the point where I never wanted to see them again, then he comes in in the short shorts and I'm like where are those coveralls when you need them?

That was a sad runway.  Michelle's were awful.  A poorly fit dress, a hideous print, and a jumpsuit that made the kid look like he should be sliding under your car to perform an oil change.  Irina's...  I agree weren't cohesive, but were well-made, fit, were mostly okay looking.  Biddell's were the most cohesive, were well-made and okay looking if you can get by his hideous print, same-old same-old, but if socks are gonna put you over the top, I guess his were as good as any for the win.  Dmitry's looks made me sad.  He's one of my all-time favorites of all PR contestants, but he's just not bringing it this season.  The boy's look was okay, but that one woman's was so ill-fitting.  I wonder if it was a time issue for him.  And the silhouette was an unfortunate one for her shape.  That said, his dress was the only design in the whole runway that I liked.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, TexasGal said:

But the families seemed happy so that’s good I guess.

Did they, though, seem happy? I think the whole of Dmitry's family hated his outfits with a passion, and rightly so. I'm with Biddell when he says he wonders why Dmitry is still here, his clothes have been consistently unimaginative, shapeless and boring and most of them look like glorified doilies.

TBH I'm also not so sure Dylan liked his outfit so much despite his reaction. Unless he plans on opening a car shop soon, in which case it could come in handy. The fact is with these challenges I don't think clients can say what they really, REALLY think of the clothes, which would probably be something along the lines of "I think this outfit you just made me is the most unflattering piece of clothing I have ever worn in my life and it's incredible how you people call yourselves designers when I could find better clothes on the sales rack at Target", especially once the garment is finished and they're trying them on (or even before that, for that matter).

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I rolled my eyes when Alyssa excitedly told the designers that this week they had two days an $400 for the challenge, as if they should be cheering. Great, but they had to make THREE outfits with that time and money so the average time and money they were given was actually less than usual when you divide it up ($133 per person and they had to make 1.5 outfits per day).

Same! I actually thought she was being ironic, but then everyone was clapping and rejoicing about the great news and I was very confused about the whole thing.

Anyway, I can't believe they let them both stay, they really should've let them both go, like someone else upthread said. The mere fact that Dmitry had the courage to present that hideous, drab, ultra plain shirt on the runway and on top of that dared to defend it and say, when Georgina called him out on it, that he WANTED the white fabric to show through when it was really just half-assed sewing on his part was, alone, a valid enough reason to send him home. 

• Love 9

Anne being a judge made me wonder what celebrity didn’t show up so they had to grab her and make her a judge. Probably somebody from, I’m guessing, Modern Family?

Whoever the no-show celebrity was, they got off lucky.  ‘Cause that was a total garbage waste of 90 minutes.

BTW, show, thanks for the reminder tonight that Michelle has been on not one, but two, seasons of All-Stars.  Because she’s such a fan favorite.*

* (a fan favorite in the sense that she has a producer or two in her pocket who are really big fans.  The viewers, not so much, at least as far as I’ve seen, and certainly not enough to justify her returning more than other genuinely loved and liked contestants.  Two All-Stars?   Mmmmm hmmmm).

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Fellaway said:
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And why was Evan dressed as a UPS driver on the runway?

He's been wearing those coveralls a lot this season. I'd gotten to the point where I never wanted to see them again, then he comes in in the short shorts and I'm like where are those coveralls when you need them?

Those are fine in the workroom, but he's far too old and out of shape to look edgy or transgressive dressed like that on the runway, although we have seen some mind-boggling outfits on contestants over the years. I actually thought it was pretty disrespectful. 

• Love 4

Underwhelming episode, but they were designing for regular people and kids.  I didn’t love or hate anybody’s designs. I’m ok with  Evan winning but I can’t imagine a 15 year old would like pants with huge yellow bows on them.  And why did this episode have to 90 minutes, I DVR’d and FF’ed thru the boring scenes which was pretty much a lot of the episode. 

well, it’s all over next week and since this show has moved to Bravo I wonder if they will even do an All-Star show any more. 

• Love 1

Well, that was a crappy episode.

My thought is that they wanted Irina, Dmitri and Michelle as the top 3 and were hoping that Biddell's outfits were awful.

When his were obviously the best ones in this challenge, they had no choice but to keep everyone for the finale so their chosen 3 could show their lovely(not) fashions.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

This is how IM dresses while presenting on QVC, about 90% of the time I've seen him.  It's been called is Chairman Mao uniform.  For the life of me, I do not understand why so many clothing designers seem to be the antithesis of fashion/design in their own personal style.  (Biddell, I'm looking at you.)  

Screenshot (431).png

phpNbeKHLPM.jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3

Clothes aside, it was so weird to me how everyone's confession that they were going to go call a loved one sounded like they were announcing they were going to masturbate. "I've, uh, been...missing something...and I'm going to, you know, go into that other room for a minute and...do the thing."

• LOL 18
  • Love 3

Well, we now have the definitive answer to the question "Just how absurdly far will the judges go to keep their favorites in the competition?" If that was a planned non-elimination, why would Anne have kept urging the designers NOT to worry about pleasing the families but to focus on the runway and the judges. 

There was zero reason to keep Michelle or Dmitry. Dylan looked like a Korean dictator and the girls were wearing weird tablecloths. I'm pretty sure only one of Dmitry's clients will ever wear that clothing again. Having said that, it was delightful to hear Dmitry's parents say his Russian name. Did anybody catch what it was?

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

This is how IM dresses while presenting on QVC, about 90% of the time I've seen him.  It's been called is Chairman Mao uniform.  For the life of me, I do not understand why so many clothing designers seem to be the antithesis of fashion/design in their own personal style.  (Biddell, I'm looking at you.) 

That's something I noticed about Irina that I sort of appreciated and that sort of made me wonder how she works. She dresses (at least here) as though she knows she's going to be on TV and lots of people are going to see her. It just doesn't look comfortable for that kind of work to me, with all the running around they do.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 3

ok. I FLOVED Dmitry's black dress. Palazzo pants were great too, but not with that top. Too much volume. Only stick thin girl can pull that off. The guy was... normal?

Michelle's granny was very real  in the sense that this is EXACTLY the taste level I remember grannies having while growing up in post Soviet Belarus. lol so... points for authenticity? LOL

Jumpsuit looked weird. Sacky, without any detail on a boring color and shape. Might as well have been wearing a trash bag stitched between the legs.

The talking heads and the judging telegraphed 4 person finale from 100 miles away.

btw. Dmitry's mom has an adorably thick Belarusian accent when speaking Russian. 

• Love 5

I'm glad the picked Biddell as the winner, I thought his outfits were the most well done and really loved his teen girl look. It was a different shape/neckline from most of what we see and I actually really loved that print. I thought his looks also fit together like a collection, so he was the winner for me for sure. I did agree that the mom's skirt felt a little "office" but it still looked nice. 

Michelle's outfits.. man that jumpsuit was so bad. I know black/blue together can be a thing but the short sleeve jump suit with dark long sleeves under it and no details to see was awful. I felt bad for him having to wear it. All of her clothes seemed to have no connection to each other. Print mixing is one thing, but they were separate outfits that had nothing to do with each other- the strips and then the colorful splotches on grandma... what?? 

Dimitri's stuff was just boring... the same cut out thing he's been doing and the man's outfit was terrible. 

Irina was okay, she was probably my second favorite, though the outfits weren't anything out of this word and I can't even remember enough to describe what I liked or didn't :P 

That's this season... forgettable!

• Love 3

Everything Michelle made sucked. That hideous pants ensemble for the grandmother was beyond sucky...the teen girl's dress was awful too...way too big and the material was heavy and looked like a tablecloth from Santa Fe. The overalls were a mess for the boy and the outfit looked dreary and sad. She should have been sent home but the judges have been favoring her all season and couldn't bring themselves to cut her. 

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

That was a whole lot of ugly. At one point I'm sure I was covering my face and screaming "my eyes! MY EYES!". Jesus. Evan's was the best except for that godawful print, which looked like Big Bird threw up. It was surpassed in ugliness only by Michelle's. Gawd. Sale rack at Dress Barn for Grandma. Dmitry, seriously? Dusty rose? The color otherwise know as Certain Death on Project Runway?

Unless you're Gretchen!  She sent a horrible pink bathrobe with feathers down the runway once and I thought for sure she'd get the auf.  She didn't and may have even won the challenge.  Her wins and saves were as confounding as Michelle's. 

9 hours ago, cinsays said:

Well, that was a crappy episode.

My thought is that they wanted Irina, Dmitri and Michelle as the top 3 and were hoping that Biddell's outfits were awful.

When his were obviously the best ones in this challenge, they had no choice but to keep everyone for the finale so their chosen 3 could show their lovely(not) fashions.

Agreed!

Irina’s a meanie, but I do enjoy when she knocks Michelle off her hipster pedestal. 

Anne is insufferable and more of a troll than a mentor. 

It fine to be proud of your work, but found some of the comments from the designers downright egotistical. Like Dimitry “ I deserve to win.”  Ah no, you don’t boo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Oh wow [sarcasm]... they got to keep their custom-made clothes.

What else were they going to do with them?! 

Did anyone else think the twist at the end was Michelle and Dmitri having to re-sew one outfit in an hour to determine the last person in the finale?! Where do I remember that awful twist from...PR?!

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

Oh wow [sarcasm]... they got to keep their custom-made clothes.

What else were they going to do with them?! 

Did anyone else think the twist at the end was Michelle and Dmitri having to re-sew one outfit in an hour to determine the last person in the finale?! Where do I remember that awful twist from...PR?!

I guess they can sell them on EBay.

I just thought it was funny that Alyssa was asking the designers to talk about the toughest part of being on the show (aka how much they missed their families) to set up the episode, and not one of them mentioned a loved one. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:19 PM, Archery said:

There are no men in modern families?

"Menswear" on Project Runway?

giphy.gif

"Menswear" goes in the designers' I'd Rather Be Dead pile, right next to "Women Who Wear A Size 10."

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

I did have that thought!  But, now, I realize they wanted both Dmitry and Michelle in the finale and the result of a sew-off would've been one's elimination, so...

• Love 4