Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E05 & S38.E06: It's Like the Worst Cocktail Party Ever

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, himela said:

My big question is, will the win of a person who has been voted out be valid? For me, it won't. You are voted out and only won cause of a twist. You didn't play a winning game, you were just lucky.

Yes, it would be 100% valid.  Whether we like or dislike a twist or gimmick in the game, the player who won according to the rules he/she was playing under is the Sole Survivor.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, himela said:

My big question is, will the win of a person who has been voted out be valid? For me, it won't. You are voted out and only won cause of a twist. You didn't play a winning game, you were just lucky.

I totally agree.  If you're out, then you're out, no second chances.

I hate the EoE.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, himela said:

I think they deserve the win, but the win will feel a bit unjust. Once you are gone, you're gone.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, gingerella said:

That redhead is a piece of work, I can't stand these young players who are barely off their mother's teat and they act all self-righteous about how the older players are useless but they can't do shit either. 

When did Victoria say anything remotely close to this?  I can't recall anything like this at all last episode or any epiosde at all this season.  I would think if she did say this it would a huge topic of conversation around here given that the majority of posters here (including myself) are probably older than most if not all of the players on this season. lol

• Love 8
On 3/21/2019 at 3:39 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

What about when Wardog threw the (ball?) at the (thing?) and Lauren whined, "No!  Wrong way!"

😄😄😄    

Lauren’s “Wrong way!” was (a) absolutely hilarious and (b) absolutely correct; if Warthog’s throw had connected with any force, it would have sent the “spinner” spinning in the wrong direction.  End effect would have been Warty undoing what progress Lauren had been able to accomplish on her earlier throws.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:39 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

(Sorry guys, the forum used to merge all of my multiple quote replies into one beautiful post.  It doesn't do that anymore.)

The merge still works, but it appears to be on a much shorter timer; it only happens if the second post is made within something like two minutes or less of the preceding post.

21 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

Better hope Reem isn't reading this. She'll come at you like a wolverine. 

More like a spider monkey on crack.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mikewho said:

Well, whether people like it or not, that is this season's 'twist'. I just have to watch each season and hopefully enjoy it. By now, they're full of tricks. So if a returnee happens to win, then I think they deserved it within the parameters of this season.

To me, it's like saying so-and-so would've been voted out if they hadn't played an Idol, then went on to win the game. They all voted you OUT.

Right. If we're going to "negate" anyone's wins just because they were following the game rules as they are I think that's unreasonable. Like someone playing an idol or advantage. It's the game rules. If people feel that their wins are tarnished by something they did in-game then they simply don't vote for that person. Otherwise, you follow the game rules got to the end and got enough votes to win you are a legit winner. A 'worthy' winner can be debated I guess but still, they played the game and got voted in by their fellow players, tough to argue with that.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, himela said:

I think yes, for a few reasons.

- Living at EoE looks harder than the regular camps with less food so anyone returning looks to be at a physical disadvantage. 

- People on EoE are out of the game and unable to make alliances or gain peoples trust.  So coming back in they are all alone with no existing alliance.  They will have to work quickly in order to stay in the game

- I know if I was on the jury and someone made it to the end after spending a lot of time at EoE, they would have to have done some pretty amazing smart big plays to get my vote.

• Love 5

I don’t see why a win by an EoEr would be considered any less “valid” than a win by any of the people who are still in the game proper.  That is the twist of this season.  Just like how in past seasons with Redemption or Exile Island.  Someone gets back in the game.  It doesn’t prevent those that were still in the game proper from voting the retuning EoEr right out again.  If that person manages to form alliances or go on an immunity run to keep himself/herself in the game, then I don’t see why a win is any less deserving.

The person would have earned his way back in and would have earned his continued right to stay in by avoiding getting voted out again.

The twist isn’t any different that planting a hidden advantage for the final challenge or immunity idol.  All of the people have a chance to find those.

Now where I think a win isn’t valid is when there is a suggestion of producer manipulation to keep someone in the game.  Example, the “new final four firemaking challenge” (which I don’t believe was announced by Jeffy in media articles before it happened) and the constantly appearing hidden idols that resulted in Ben the producer’s favourite damaged PTSD heroic marine winning the game.  

• Love 8

I loved the Aubry blindside, perfectly set up on the edit. The first half (or episode) even had some drama among the outcasts for a change with the fight to get to the advantage. I definitely enjoyed these episodes which I thought stepped things up, though it's still unclear how the outcasts situation will be resolved. I wasn't expecting Wendy to go, though the edit has been clear about her not really playing the game much.

• Love 5

I don't think an EoE player winning would be invalid, but I think that if they did it would probably be because they went on an immunity run and that type of game play isn't for me so I wouldn't be likely to like the winner in that case. Unless it's Chris lol. But if the person that comes back from EoE can manage to to stay in by doing more than winning a bunch of immunities then I would probably love it. 

But, in general, I think it'd be hilarious if someone from EoE won.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think an EoE player winning would be invalid, but I think that if they did it would probably be because they went on an immunity run and that type of game play isn't for me so I wouldn't be likely to like the winner in that case. Unless it's Chris lol. But if the person that comes back from EoE can manage to to stay in by doing more than winning a bunch of immunities then I would probably love it. 

Hah, I think I am right there with you.  I do think any EoEr that made it back in and managed to win would have overcome some huge obstacles (chiefly, the people still in the game proper who think it is unfair and want to vote them out again but never did) and therefore would be deserving.  But whether I like the EoE winner truly depends on who it is.  If Chris comes back from EoE and ends up winning, as far as I'm concerned... greatest twist ever, he deserved it, will make people think twice about voting out the strong muscle in the early episodes.  But if it was someone like Keith or Reem... what?!, this sucks, why didn't people vote them out right away, there's a reason why they voted them out in the first place, etc.  LOL.

I think that whoever made it back in, depending on who it is, might stand a pretty good chance of getting dragged to the finals as a goat.  There could be a perception that nobody will vote for them because they only were back in because of a twist (the Boy Scout Lill factor).

I'm still unclear on what is going to happen as the game keeps going.  How many EoE people get back in?  Are all 20 people on the jury?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Unless the winner was Reem; such a win would disrupt  the basic physical structure of the known universe at the quantum level and result in the immediate instantaneous cessation of all life, which would probably be bad.

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, himela said:

Of course it is totally completely absolutely 100% valid. 

Just like someone saved by an immunity idol would have been voted out otherwise then turns around and wins.  Or a sudden tribal drop your buffs swap saves someone.  Or all the other additional crap they throw in on Survivor like extra votes, stolen votes, given away votes etc etc.

In fact coming back from "extinction" and winning would be much MUCH harder than being saved by all of the above. So I would give extra props to an "extinction" winner.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, Nashville said:

Unless the winner was Reem; such a win would disrupt  the basic physical structure of the known universe at the quantum level and result in the immediate instantaneous cessation of all life, which would probably be bad.

Might still be pretty hilarious though.

21 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm still unclear on what is going to happen as the game keeps going.  How many EoE people get back in?  Are all 20 people on the jury?

Has Probst or anyone ever said anything in the media about how EoE works? Keeping the contestants in the dark is one thing, but keeping the audience in the dark is bullshit and creates a situation where we don't know if they're making things up on the fly/manipulating things. Which is probably the point lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think an EoE player winning would be invalid, but I think that if they did it would probably be because they went on an immunity run and that type of game play isn't for me so I wouldn't be likely to like the winner in that case. Unless it's Chris lol.

I think about who I want to come back, from a game play stand point it would probably have to be Aubry or Chris as I think they both seem to have a good grasp on the game and will try to make things happen.  But I think my dream scenario would be Big Wendy.  I would love for her to come back, have Wardog voted out and go to Ponderosa.  Then have Wendy voted off and go to Ponderosa, and due to the chicken situation, Wardog doesn't let her have any meat at all.  Wendy orders a cheese burger, Wardog has a word to the chef and the cheese burger comes out without any meat.

• LOL 2

I was struck with a big sense of 'wtf' with what was given out with the 'Practice' note... it was a few rods and some string. And we know Keith has 'extra knots' he can assign to someone.

I was just thinking, it looks like it could be setting up the classic "make a pole long enough to get a key back to your cage and free yourself" challenge as part of what I assume would be the returning challenge. Obviously there would be other portions to the challenge as well, but what else could you 'practice' with what they were given?

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

I was struck with a big sense of 'wtf' with what was given out with the 'Practice' note... it was a few rods and some string. And we know Keith has 'extra knots' he can assign to someone.

I was just thinking, it looks like it could be setting up the classic "make a pole long enough to get a key back to your cage and free yourself" challenge as part of what I assume would be the returning challenge. Obviously there would be other portions to the challenge as well, but what else could you 'practice' with what they were given?

That is what I figured it was too, but it also looked like he only got 3 poles and a bit of string, it is a bit hard to practice making a long pole when you have such limited pieces.

• Love 1

I'm surprised no one has commented on whoever it was saying "He is so annoying!" during one of the challenges. I *think* they were talking about the usual "amazing" Joe single-handedly carrying his tribe. But I thought it was said about Jeff because he had just been spouting off some of his never-ending inane challenge commentary. I honestly thought someone got so fed up with him that they finally snapped. Of course, if they did, they would probably be banned from the reunion show if not dragged off the island by Jeff on his jetski.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, blackwing said:

Are all 20 people on the jury?

18.  There's only 18 people this season.

As for the size of the jury, it could be as many as 15.  We'll probably find out for sure once the merge happens.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Nashville said:

She's an older person and a woman. Wouldn't it be worth it to have her win just to annoy Probst? Especially if she beats his beloved alpha males?

Question: is anyone else not making connections to faces and names? I figure it's because we've only been exposed to a small amount of people, as well as the dopes on Extinction Island.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Cricket? 😉

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

She's an older person and a woman. Wouldn't it be worth it to have her win just to annoy Probst? Especially if she beats his beloved alpha males?

Nope.  Call me a crotchety old fart (“HEY YOU CROTCHETY OLD FART!!!”), but I categorically refuse to accept the notion that rewarding such atrocious behavior is ever a good idea under any circumstances - and this is coming from somebody with an automatic bias in favor of the older contestants, regardless of sex.  Reem makes all us FOGs* look bad.

* FOGs = Fucking Old Guys

• Love 8

Reem is starting to make humanity look bad.

It's been years since the Ghost Tribe came back.  And in those years there have been many Survivor variations on "get voted out but still have a way to get back into the game."  I don't think the active players have much of a leg to stand on in terms of "accepting" players back.  After all, this isn't Top Chef, they can just vote them back off again.

If the show chose to bring back a tribe of all well rested challenge monsters (think Ozzie and James), it's a different story.  The EoEers are all exhausted and undernourished.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Reem is starting to make humanity look bad.

It's been years since the Ghost Tribe came back.  And in those years there have been many Survivor variations on "get voted out but still have a way to get back into the game."  I don't think the active players have much of a leg to stand on in terms of "accepting" players back.  After all, this isn't Top Chef, they can just vote them back off again.

If the show chose to bring back a tribe of all well rested challenge monsters (think Ozzie and James), it's a different story.  The EoEers are all exhausted and undernourished.

There isn't enough episodes aka days (39) to bring back a WHOLE tribe and start from scratch.

Edited by green
34 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

...and losers that got voted off of Survivor. I don't like them having the opportunity to come back.

It's no different than other seasons with Redemption Island.  The one thing that is new this year is that we are actually seeing more of how their life is on EoE... there are occasional challenges to get advantages, but life overall is rough.  In the past with Redemption Island, we never saw any of these people.  We saw when they got voted out and landed on RI, and then we saw them pop up for a challenge in the arena during which one person would go home for good.  If the producers are still plugging the mantra that Survivor is a "social experiment", which I have always laughed at, at least they are showing us more of how humanity is degrading when people are tired and hungry on EoE.

As others have mentioned, I don't see why the possibility of an EoE returnee is viewed any less differently than avoiding Philimination on "The Amazing Race" when coming in last on a leg because it is a non-elimination.  There are have been multiple winners that were saved by non-elimination and then later went on to win it all.  Off the top of my head I can think of Chris and Alex (the Boston guys from way back in Season 2), the Beekman Boys (goat farmers and soap makers), Amy and Maya (the food scientists), Eric and Danielle, BJ and Tyler (Hippie team), Zach and Flo, TK and Rachel, Uchenna and Joyce.  There are probably more. It particularly stinks from a viewers perspective if non-elimination saves a team I view as particularly weak (Beekman Boys) but it's part of the game, they still are winners in the books. 

The difference between a saved or returning contestant on Amazing Race vs Survivor is that Amazing Race is mostly about your own talents and skill and determination.  Here on Survivor, if someone returned to the game and the other players really had a problem with them getting another chance after getting voted out already, there is absolutely nothing to stop those players from banding together and voting them right out again.  If they allow a returnee to win the game, then whose fault is that?

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Here on Survivor, if someone returned to the game and the other players really had a problem with them getting another chance after getting voted out already, there is absolutely nothing to stop those players from banding together and voting them right out again.  If they allow a returnee to win the game, then whose fault is that?

Very well put. But there's a possibility that person can go on an immunity run...

And there's now that very unfair (to me) fire challenge near the end that could knock out an excellent player. There are a bunch of ways a person can win.

I think even Rob and Brennan from the FIRST season of TAR were saved by a NEL. I remember Rob hurling his backpack around and saying, 'I don't believe it! I DON'T believe it!.'

• Love 1
On 3/23/2019 at 2:49 PM, dstann said:

Wardog has a word to the chef and the cheese burger comes out without any meat.

Nah, Wendy has a fun personality and Warthog (I love the nicknames you folks have given him) is a low-life.  The chef is more likely to give Wendy an Angus burger with extra cheese and WH a shit sandwich.  I know I would!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mikewho said:

I think even Rob and Brennan from the FIRST season of TAR were saved by a NEL. I remember Rob hurling his backpack around and saying, 'I don't believe it! I DON'T believe it!.'

Nope, Rob & Brennan never finished in last place and were never saved by a NEL.  The worst place they ever finished in was 6th.  

Twists that allow eliminated contestants to return/stay in the game happen on almost all reality shows now but I, personally, hate it on every show.  I hate NELs on Amazing Race, I hate Last Chance Kitchen on Top Chef and I hate any twists that allows people to return to the game on Survivor. I've accepted it as part of the game but I just really dislike it.  Once you're dead, you should stay dead. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

Nah, Wendy has a fun personality and Warthog (I love the nicknames you folks have given him) is a low-life.  The chef is more likely to give Wendy an Angus burger with extra cheese and WH a shit sandwich.  I know I would!

I don't like The Warthog or Li'l Wendy.  But, I think Li'l Wendy is way more annoying, phony and hypocritical than The Warthog.  The Warthog is more bossy, lacks self awareness and and tends to outthink himself.  Li'l Wendy seemed to be there strictly to annoy people, steal chickens, be a memorable character and chase the Sia money, and giggle.  At least The Warthog is trying to win.   

• Love 2

It amuses me so much how we now all refer to the "Sia money" as if it's an official part of the show.  I wish she'd never done that because now people are actively trying to win that instead of the game. 

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't like The Warthog or Li'l Wendy.  But, I think Li'l Wendy is way more annoying, phony and hypocritical than The Warthog.  The Warthog is more bossy, lacks self awareness and and tends to outthink himself.  Li'l Wendy seemed to be there strictly to annoy people, steal chickens, be a memorable character and chase the Sia money, and giggle.  At least The Warthog is trying to win.   

Agree to disagree.  I think Wendy is much more aware of what she's doing, so it doesn't bother me as much.  (It doesn't hurt that I think she's one of the more attractive people this episode.)

I hope the challenge for the people stuck on Trash Insanity island is something torturous and basic like one of those hanging or standing on a totem pole over water for 8 hours.  I know Peachy doesn't like those challenges anymore but he has an awesome crop of psychological misfits to try this with for sure.  It gives no one a physical advantage...it's just a mind fuck.   Having Reem on there would be tremendous TV.  I'm actually sad Wendy wasn't part of that island salad for longer.

I literally covered my ears when Reem went off on her tangent of screaming about "giving him the advantage."   I simply cannot deal with people who are that screamy and illogical.  She made me stabby in less than 12 seconds of a soundbite....I am simply not sure what would happen if I were stuck on a deserted island with her and I'm fairly sure I wouldn't cause a blip negative on the Survivor psychological testing for Those Who Are Fit To Be Cold and Starving and Have Access To a Machete.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

One of the most absurd moments of this episode was Keith gripping his little coconut shell filled with handful of rice as he ran over the rocks and was looking back.  How long would it take to bolt down that rice and throw the shell down and show a little hustle?

• Love 1

In regards to editing, I thought they might be predicting a Rob/Amber type romance about to brew when David’s confessional about being a childless, single guy who wants to change that aspect of his life once he returns home.  Then, later, showing a confessional about how Kelley was his number one target, but now it seems like she’s his closest ally in the game.

however, he has a girlfriend IRL, not sure about Kelley’s love life.  So, I guess it was either the bad editing that so. Any of you have written about, and/or good editing for other reasons that will be shown later.  LOL

2 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

In regards to editing, I thought they might be predicting a Rob/Amber type romance about to brew when David’s confessional about being a childless, single guy who wants to change that aspect of his life once he returns home.  Then, later, showing a confessional about how Kelley was his number one target, but now it seems like she’s his closest ally in the game.

however, he has a girlfriend IRL, not sure about Kelley’s love life.  So, I guess it was either the bad editing that so. Any of you have written about, and/or good editing for other reasons that will be shown later.  LOL

I don't see that at all.   I don't see any attraction between the two of them, from either direction, and I would think Wentworth would probably be looking for a younger, more athletic guy.   

I think the thing about being childless was just the editors including something personal to humanize him more in our eyes.  It could be a good sign for his prospects in the game, if they are trying to make us empathize with him.   But, I don't think it in any way hints at a showmance with Wentworth.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

First of all, Kelley's not clever/smart enough for David.

This episode, I think I noticed her wearing a band on her left ring finger -- either she's married, or she's wearing what looks like a wedding band.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Special K said:

First of all, Kelley's not clever/smart enough for David.

This episode, I think I noticed her wearing a band on her left ring finger -- either she's married, or she's wearing what looks like a wedding band.

I'm pretty sure in the pre-season interviews I read or she said she's married now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/22/2019 at 12:33 AM, dstann said:

I did like the part where she was complaining to camera that Kama tribe has had a holiday because Joe has been winning the challenges for them.  And how she would love it if she had someone winning challenges for her......well maybe she shouldn't have voted off Chris.

And they still lost with him on the tribe.

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I literally covered my ears when Reem went off on her tangent of screaming about "giving him the advantage."   I simply cannot deal with people who are that screamy and illogical.  She made me stabby in less than 12 seconds of a soundbite....I am simply not sure what would happen if I were stuck on a deserted island with her and I'm fairly sure I wouldn't cause a blip negative on the Survivor psychological testing for Those Who Are Fit To Be Cold and Starving and Have Access To a Machete.

You and me both.

• LOL 1