Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E05 & S38.E06: It's Like the Worst Cocktail Party Ever

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, himela said:

I didn't understand what would happen with the advantage that said "practice" Chris found. Will he be the only one practicing or can he let the other people practice as well?

I wondered about that, too. At first I thought he was probably allowed to let the others practice if he wanted, but now I'm thinking he is the only one allowed to practice. It would have been nice to learn more, but I guess they just really needed that confessional of Joe crying about how hard it is to be so amazing or whatever he was going on about.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

The scavenger hunt on EI was so confusing. Everyone was getting random parts and nothing was explained to us or shown what it all means. Unless, they explain it on next weeks episode. How many days has Reem been there? I think Aubry is a day or 2. I can't recall how many days been for Reem and the guys. I'm sure they'll be glad to get this nighmare over with.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

The scavenger hunt on EI was so confusing. Everyone was getting random parts and nothing was explained to us or shown what it all means. Unless, they explain it on next weeks episode. How many days has Reem been there? I think Aubry is a day or 2. I can't recall how many days been for Reem and the guys. I'm sure they'll be glad to get this nighmare over with.

The first map had two clues, It looks like Chris and Reem went after Keith, who was focused on one clue. Rick went to the other clue while Reem and Chris tracked down Keith. Chris shoved Keith out of the way and got the challenge practice and Rick got the advantage that he had to share.

For the record, I am confused with how that advantage would help Rick. He could not tell the person he gave it to who it was from, so it wasn't going to win him any positive thoughts that might help him get back in the game. It wasn't going to help him maybe get into the game, like Chris's. So it was a stupid way to give someone help that may or may not help Rick. At least the last time a advantage was handed off without credit, the people were still in the game and you could see how it might help them with a swap or a merge.

• Love 3

I noticed Reem was sitting in front of Keith who was laying down again, when she was doing the screaming.  Apparently they are still a pair.  Keith, idk.  It was Reem who said lets all agree to not go looking separately.  At that point Keith could have said, well I'm not down with that I'm going to look on my own.  Or at least tell Mom, since that seems to be their relationshiop.  Not that he had to, all is fair in Survivor.  But if that's the way you play then that's the way others will play with you.  Considering that he had no idea about the map and it was Reems idea to look in the water, I think the fact that he got the one snatched up in the water is more than fair enough.  I think Reem did let him have that, I suspect she would have screamed down anyone else. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I wondered about that, too. At first I thought he was probably allowed to let the others practice if he wanted, but now I'm thinking he is the only one allowed to practice. It would have been nice to learn more, but I guess they just really needed that confessional of Joe crying about how hard it is to be so amazing or whatever he was going on about.

I forgot all about Joe Amazing's weeping confessional.  That was truly cringe worthy.  He cried like a little gi   grown man.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but is it me or are we seeing a really wonky-edited season?  

Bad Survivor is better than no Survivor, but this episode in particular kept jarring me out of the joy I usually get from watching this show...from Keith's up-close, manic, jerky confessionals, to a close-up of Aubrey's mouth when she said the phrase "rock-bottom" (so weird) - not to mention what seemed like a 7-minute monologue by Aubrey, to Reem sitting around yelling at everything, Wendy giggling her way through TC...I don't know, this season has felt "off," or maybe it's the cast that isn't doing anything for me.  And I literally just found out that there's a Julie on this season.  And a Gavin.  Who knew?

I also found the take on Wardog weird.  I mean he has been shown being a bit bossy but it ratcheted up in this episode like he was Stalin in the flesh or something. 

Are they worried they don't have some true villain and suddenly got word to go back and hurriedly re-edit this to really push the idea that Wardog = Evil Russell or something?  Because he is really more of an inept would be boss that others aren't buying and with not very many good challenge skills to boot either.

As for Rick's advantage, I assume he had to wait to declare who he was giving it to after production told him which tribe was going to TC.  Or he had to make out a list for each tribe before the immunity challenge so production could slip a duplicate of his advantage into the person's bag before they returned from same. 

Had it been his tribe he would have slipped it to David.  But whoever he gave it to could become a useful ally if he makes it back into the game.  Except Aubrey ended up with him on the isle of limbo.  Of course if two can return and they both return he has a solid new ally thus an advantage.  But I put the odds of that happening at about 0 or less though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, green said:

I also found the take on Wardog weird.  I mean he has been shown being a bit bossy but it ratcheted up in this episode like he was Stalin in the flesh or something. 

Are they worried they don't have some true villain and suddenly got word to go back and hurriedly re-edit this to really push the idea that Wardog = Evil Russell or something?  Because he is really more of an inept would be boss that others aren't buying and with not very many good challenge skills to boot either.

As for Rick's advantage, I assume he had to wait to declare who he was giving it to after production told him which tribe was going to TC.  Or he had to make out a list for each tribe before the immunity challenge so production could slip a duplicate of his advantage into the person's bag before they returned from same. 

Had it been his tribe he would have slipped it to David.  But whoever he gave it to could become a useful ally if he makes it back into the game.  Except Aubrey ended up with him on the isle of limbo.  Of course if two can return and they both return he has a solid new ally thus an advantage.  But I put the odds of that happening at about 0 or less though.

Didn't Aubry read that Rick's extra vote advantage was good until there are 7 people left in the game?  If that is the case, I think he could have given it to anybody, not just those going to the next TC.  

I suspect he gave it Aubry because he was already tight with David and wanted to try to create a post merge/return from EOE relationship with another player who might be eager to work with him and David.  

The Warthog has always seemed to be a bit bossy.   They just seemed to show it getting on his tribemates' nerves more, last night.   

He has been rather inept in challenges, especially for a big alpha male.  His strategy has been erratic.  I though his plan to keep Wenworth and Chris around as meat shields was pretty smart.  But, then he flipped on Chris for no good reason at all and weakened his tribe and his own position in the game.  Then he wanted to target Lauren, which didn't seem to make a lot of sense.  I thought his plan to target Wendy, and the reasoning behind it was spot on, though.  I think The Warthog tends to overthink things.  

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, green said:

I don't think Dan's edit has been weird. In the first episode, he told Wendy to vote for Reem. Wendy said she was not going to vote for Reem and tried to argue that Kelly was a better choice. They agreed to disagree and Wendy left. Dan's immediate comment to David was that they should vote out Wendy because she wouldn't vote the way Dan told her to vote.

Dan directed the vote away from Kelly to Keith and then from Wendy to Chris. Conversations with Dan are slightly more subtle then conversations with Carl, all that is missing is the hammock or beer.

I don't think Dan is evil or awful. I don't like people who give themselves their own nick names and speak of themselves in the third person. So Dan started on the wrong foot with me. He is not a great strategist, even though he thinks he is. The Chris vote made no sense whatsoever. Not only did it destroy his tribes chance of winning anything, it removed someone who was willing to work with Dan and listen to Dan. Dan thinks that he is amazing at challenges which I think we have all seen enough evidence that points to that simply not being the case.

Dan wants to be a character and wants to tell us how amazing he is. I don't like him as a player or a character but he is not evil. You have to work to hit Russel levels of loathing on my part. Dan isn't even close. The last person/people to hit that level of dislike were Dan and Will.

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 16
30 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

The first map had two clues, It looks like Chris and Reem went after Keith, who was focused on one clue. Rick went to the other clue while Reem and Chris tracked down Keith. Chris shoved Keith out of the way and got the challenge practice and Rick got the advantage that he had to share.

For the record, I am confused with how that advantage would help Rick. He could not tell the person he gave it to who it was from, so it wasn't going to win him any positive thoughts that might help him get back in the game. It wasn't going to help him maybe get into the game, like Chris's. So it was a stupid way to give someone help that may or may not help Rick. At least the last time a advantage was handed off without credit, the people were still in the game and you could see how it might help them with a swap or a merge.

22 minutes ago, green said:

I am still confused at this whole thing, from the mad scramble to find two (?) parts to the advantage - did the four people on EOE island each get a different map?  Was each person supposed to find a different advantage?  Because Chris found the sticks and Rick found the extra vote but nothing for Keith or Reem?  And I still don't get why Rick didn't use his advantage on David - if there was something said about him only being able to use it on the tribe going to TC, I missed it and I swear I was paying attention through all of this.  It was such a strange edit!

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

They should have had something on the show to fill in the blanks.   Rick had to have been given some information so as viewers it would be nice for them to spare even just 30-60 seconds so we could get the basics.  At minimum he must have been told these are the people going to tribal.  That might have been all, maybe they didn't even tell him if  the tribe name or that there are three tribes now........... but he had to know the people so he could decide who to pass the vote to.  Even if we saw him with a parchment that said "X Tribe is going to council tonight, you must pass your vote to one of these remaining tribe members" it would have explained a lot.   Then, in theory, he would be in a place to save someone he likes or knows or get rid of someone he doesn't like (as in I know Susie will vote for Martin and I want Martin out so I'll help Susie).  If he doesn't get back in the game he possibly helps an ally win, if he does get back in the game he can go to that person and tell them what he did giving him an ally for later.  That to me is the only way the advantage helps Rick at all but, again, it would have been nice to have seen what was Rick told when it came time to decide who to pass the vote to and what was his logic and thought process in deciding who gets it.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I am still confused at this whole thing, from the mad scramble to find two (?) parts to the advantage - did the four people on EOE island each get a different map?  Was each person supposed to find a different advantage?  Because Chris found the sticks and Rick found the extra vote but nothing for Keith or Reem?  And I still don't get why Rick didn't use his advantage on David - if there was something said about him only being able to use it on the tribe going to TC, I missed it and I swear I was paying attention through all of this.  It was such a strange edit!

They each got the same map. There were two clues as to where to go on the map, so only two advantages. The group chose to work on the puzzle as a group and agreed to go look for the things together. Keith decided that was stupid and went off on his own. I think Keith had the right idea, he is playing for himself and not for the others.

It is kind of like MIke's decision to go for the immunity advantage at the auction ages ago. Everyone had agreed not to go for the immunity advantage. They all paid $20 for letters from home and Mike tried to hold on to his money so he could by the advantage. I think he gave into peer pressure and bought his letter but that turned him into the scapegoat for his tribe and dropped him to the bottom of the voting order. He dared to consider playing for himself. He went on an immunity challenge run and won the season. It was Joe's first season.

The second map was the same thing but I think more people worked on their own. Rick did not share that the holes were important and Reem caught onto Rick being in a different location. She did realize that the area Rick had identified was covered up during high tide and she thought something might be revealed during low tide. I think the others joined them in that area since it seemed like Rick had the best idea of what the map said. Keith was walking with Reem when Reem saw the package and called it out. Keith got there first and claimed the advantage.

In that case there was only one thing to find.

• Love 4

I just don't understand why this show keeps trying to make Joe happen. He's a target from the moment he shows up and nobody ever seems to want to work with him. He's good looking I guess but certainly not the best looking guy they've ever had. And he's got about as much personality as a stale piece of toast. Enough with Joe already. 

* I am not a Wentworth basher.  But after playing 2 times, you would think a young, fairly athletic woman would have learned how to dive.  She kept jumping into the water feet first, holding her nose, and it cost her tribe time. 

I noticed this too. It's how six year olds jump into the pool when they are first learning how to swim. What's up with that? I don't really get the appeal of her either. In fact all four returning players are duds if you ask me. David? Aubrey? Also-rans people rooted for the first time around just because they were underdogs. Now they're just also-rans. You can't be an underdog anymore when you're a returning player for the second or third time.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, North of Eden said:

True or false...that extra vote Aubrey was bequeathed was from the nerdy, pudgy anchorman right? If that's so...wouldn't that be extremely poor editing that we didn't get a conversation where he reveals he was her benefactor or at the very least if he was forbidden to tell there should have been a shot of him looking disappointed when she arrives at camp and he realizes he wasted the bequeath.

I guess I've only been half-paying attention on previous episodes because I was completely baffled about that advantage and who gave it to her.

13 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Remind me again why Wentworth was such an awesome idea for a return player? All I've seen is pouting and crappy challenge and game play out of her. 

I'm not loving this season, and that's coming from a day 1, season 1 watcher.

My Wentworth hate grows exponentially with each passing week.  And does my Survivor EoE disinterest.  And I'm also a Day 1 viewer.  This makes me sad.

6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

What about Wentworth calling David a girl?  I hate her. 

Yeah, Wentworth, you miserable bitch.  That "girl" is the only reason you didn't lose another Immunity Challenge since he's the one who solved the pyramid puzzle.  

Joey Amazing really does deliver the goods, doesn't he?  And I want to dislike him but I just can't.  He's good at everything, eye-candy and so damn likeable.  So I think I might be pulling for him.  

And then there's Wendy.  That whole performance at Tribal Council made me squirm.  The giggling, laughing and forced glee about her vote out---I was really sick of her act which is a shame because she seemed to be one of the stronger challenge performers.

WarDog.  Come on, Man.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Still not liking Pippi Longstocking. I give her props for orchestrating a good blindside, but she is way too smug and self-satisfied for my taste. Her first impression (“how could I even start looking for an idol?”) still lingers, so she’s got a long way to go before she convinces me of her brilliance.

I'll never not think it's hilarious that she and whoever went off to talk about booting Joe, and ended up standing right next to him while talking about it.  RIGHT next to him.  In the wide open.  WIDE open.  Then was surprised to see him there.  How did that happen?  Best moment all season, IMO.  I will never not love that. 

Edited by eskimo
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I just don't understand why this show keeps trying to make Joe happen. He's a target from the moment he shows up and nobody ever seems to want to work with him. He's good looking I guess but certainly not the best looking guy they've ever had. And he's got about as much personality as a stale piece of toast. Enough with Joe already. 

I noticed this too. It's how six year olds jump into the pool when they are first learning how to swim. What's up with that? I don't really get the appeal of her either. In fact all four returning players are duds if you ask me. David? Aubrey? Also-rans people rooted for the first time around just because they were underdogs. Now they're just also-rans. You can't be an underdog anymore when you're a returning player for the second or third time.

Why do they keep trying to make Ozzy work? Because Probst desperately wants a season where one of his man crushes win. He really thinks that it is bullshit that the dominant challenge male who is a provider hasn't won yet because all the others are suppose to give said person the million dollars because he is such a fine specimen of human being. But those stupid players keep getting in the way and voting Joe/Ozzy/Malcolm out when they lose competitions because they are jealous that they are not as awesome a human being.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I assumed Rick gave the advantage to Aubrey because she was the only returnee on a tribe of newbies and so it might generate some conflict & confusion.

Not that it matters now....

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I don’t understand why they’re all so focused on the returning players. Who cares if they’ve played before? They’re there, accept it and use them as a number for your alliance. Sad to see Aubrey go. Her “JT levels of embarrassment” comment reminded me why I like her.  And why would they even consider voting out Joe before the merge? He’s the equivalent of 10 people in challenges. It’s almost unfair. If one tribe gets a Joe, the other tribes should get an Ozzy and a Malcolm. 

My affection for Aubry has waned with each returning season, but I did like that acknowledgement of how big a mistake she made. She didn't get a terribly positive edit, they showed her whole tribe kind of seeing through her "let's bond" routine, I guess setting us up for this spectacular misread of her position in the tribe.

As for Joe, yes, they would be fools to get rid of him now. They could all stand back and do nothing in challenges or at camp and still be okay. 

That being said, why are they so abjectly terrified of him post-merge? He's played twice before and twice, he was handily dealt with once he lost immunity. Joey Amazing or not, he can't win them all. Not every single challenge is going to favor his strengths and no one in the history of the game has ever won every single individual immunity. And if he did, would "won every challenge" necessarily equal a win in the final vote? I can see a jury saying "hey, you're physically gifted by nature, but what about your social/strategic game"? Because in his two previous seasons, did he ever have a really solid strategy or alliance? He was part of groups, but he never had a way to overcome the target on his back.

I kind of rolled me eyes because Wentworth would be over the moon if she had Joe on her tribe.  Maybe they need to take a good hard look around and realize that maybe it's all them, those strong athletes that they are.  And Chris was called out by Probst as being the hero in the challenges before he got booted.  Not Wardog, Wentworth, or Lauren.  

I thought she was fairly upfront about wanting to be on Joe's tribe. She didn't exactly call it unfair, she just said she'd love to be in the position that Kama is in. 

But she does bear some responsibility for the shitty position they're in, they voted out a strong member for no real reason and they continue to let Wardog run the show even though he's proven to be a bust both physically and strategically.   

So yeah, a few million people now know Wart’s overhand throwing skills would get him laughed out of any self-respecting Pee Wee League softball field.  The thing which dumbfounded me, though, was this: during the IC, why the hell did Wart ASK to go back in as pitcher a SECOND time...???

More importantly, why did the rest of the tribe stand back and LET him? Lauren didn't do great, but at least she hit the target once or twice. It sounded like Kelley was volunteering to go in when Wardog jumped back in and she just stood back and let him. I can understand why David wasn't leaping up to try, he wasn't likely to get anywhere, but Kelley had a shot. 

This season hasn't been great for me so far. I'm halfheartedly rooting for David because I still like him, but I'm not that invested. I guess I'm curious how the EOE twist is going to factor in, but overall, it's a bit lackluster. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

After Brad Culpeper fucked up what should have been a sure thing in Game Changers, you never know what these idiots might do.  (Malcolm was 100% Brad's fault, JT's humiliating demise was the next tribal, not playing his idol when there was no reason whatsoever to imagine it would be anybody but himself.  No, don't argue with me, you're wrong.)

LOL You and I go way back so I will argue with you on this one. Brad didn't screw up anything, he was on the tribe that voted Malcolm out so his plan went perfectly.  JT was the one who told Brad who his tribe was voting for (Sierra) so Brad told Tai to use his idol to protect Sierra, thus allowing his tribe to vote out Malcolm.  JT gave that info to Brad because he ASSumed they would vote out Sandra but Brad's tribe decided to vote out Malcolm, the challenge threat, instead.  Malcolm's demise was 100% JT's fault.

5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Wardog's throwing talents are bad, but it was his horrifically dangerous attempts to hold other people on his shoulders that upset me.  I thought he was going to be the death of David and he let Lauren hit so hard on her knees the dirt seems to be permanently ground in.

Oh my God, when Lauren hit the ground and shrieked: "Damn it, Wardog!!!" I almost cried from laughing so hard. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Please stop mixing in a few returning players with a majority group of new players!  All new or all returning, IMO.  At the very least half-and-half.  Even if something else ends up happening at tribal and returning players stick around for a while, the audience is still repeatedly treated to 'we need to get out (returnee).  They've had their shot, it's our turn'.  In confessionals, while walking to the well, while laying in the shelter, while on the beach, while in the ocean.  It gets so boring. At the very least the producers could ask 'aside from Joe and Aubry, who are you thinking might need to go?', and air that.  Especially for winning tribes.

To all players who complain about people getting a second shot; we'd better never see your face again.  You've had your chance, now be gone. 

CBS, just add another episode per week already.  When the win/lose ratio is uneven, player recognition is uneven.  I want to get an idea of who everybody is, not just the losers.  Doubly so when you throw in almost a fourth tribe at EOE.  I've liked watching that mess unfold, but it's taking away from game time. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Finally a couple semi-interesting episodes! Although I’m still convinced they’re adding in new people every week. Apparently there’s somebody named Julie? 

Thank you!  I sat here and said aloud, "Who's Julie?  Where did she come from?  Has she always been on this season?"

• Love 3
14 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Reem is so toxic that she's becoming very unpleasant to watch. Keith getting tossed aside at the tree and Reem stupidly leading Keith to the hidden item were both things of beauty.

Why do Joe, Aubrey, and David get ten-minute soliloquies while other players a virtually little more than the background extras we use to see walking around pretending to do stuff behind Jack, Kate and Sawyer on LOST?

Pippyboobstalking is really starting to grow on me. She's smart; she's savvy and easy on the eyes, so I am happy that Victoria has emerged as the person for me to root for...something about her also reminds me of one of my all time favorites...Gabbie from last year just with 99% fewer tears.

Oh boy, I agree with all your observations.   Reem did shoot herself in the foot.   The way she yelled at Chris -- the way someone yells when they hate themselves for screwing up but hates you more for reminding them they screwed up -- was very bad.   It was almost ... marital.  

I can't stand Keith, so seeing him get body-checked into the brush was great.   I was surprised and disappointed the show featured no aftermath to that incident, just a reference hours later.

Victoria belongs in a pre-Raphaelite painting, not tossing sandbags or solving stupid puzzles.

I thought Wentworth's diss of David was pretty bad, "it's like we have three females."   It's not the put-down of David that bugged me, but her implied suggestion that females are worthless.

• Love 16
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Wardog wasn’t even close. That was downright embarrassing. I almost thought he was throwing the challenge on purpose. Why didn’t Kelley switch out with him?

Probably because Kelley also sucks. I don't remember her being this inept in challenges in the Second Chance season, but she has stunk up every single challenge this season. Not that that stopped her from calling David worthless and "a girl," (demonstrating that she is indeed her hateful father Dale's daughter) right before the diving challenge where Wardog got a puzzle piece, Lauren got a puzzle piece, David solved the puzzle, and Wentworth did nothing more than lie on the dock after winning Derp of the Week when flailing around with the diving mask.

Oh, there's that killer social game that Reem is so proud of.

Big Wendy giving Jeff an Ed Grimley hug cracked me up. I was kind of surprised that everyone applauded and was smiling as she went out because it seemed like a show of genuine affection for her and not a "yay! she's gone!" kind of thing. She's a terrible player and no doubt sort of annoying, but it's hard to dislike a person who's consistently that sunny.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, millennium said:

Oh boy, I agree with all your observations.   Reem did shoot herself in the foot.   The way she yelled at Chris -- the way someone yells when they hate themselves for screwing up but hates you more for reminding them they screwed up -- was very bad.   It was almost ... marital.  

I can't stand Keith, so seeing him get body-checked into the brush was great.   I was surprised and disappointed the show featured no aftermath to that incident, just a reference hours later.

Victoria belongs in a pre-Raphaelite painting, not tossing sandbags or solving stupid puzzles.

I thought Wentworth's diss of David was pretty bad, "it's like we have three females."   It's not the put-down of David that bugged me, but her implied suggestion that females are worthless.

So, David being a male would be better then being a female. In this case, she's implying that he's even more worthless and should be a female since he didn't help them in the challenge. Okayyyyyyyyyyy!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

So, David being a male would be better then being a female. In this case, she's implying that he's even more worthless and should be a female since he didn't help them in the challenge. Okayyyyyyyyyyy!

I think what she meant was that, normally, the male tribe members do a lot of the parts of challenges where brute strength is needed, but David is small and scrawny, so they don't get that from him. 

Of course, they did vote out the strongest, most athletic male in their tribe (Chris), along with 2 other men who are probably stronger than David (Rick and Keith).   

That said, some of David (and Wentworth's) biggest failures have been at puzzles, where the stereotype is that the scrawny intellectuals are supposed to excel.  She (or maybe someone else who didn't also fail at puzzles) could have said, "David might was well be a dumb jock."   

• Love 4

OMG.  Who are all these new people?  Have they been there this whole time?

I liked Wendy.  Yeah, she was hypocritical with the chicken thing, but I've got to tell you, I'd have a problem eating a meal that was just killed in front of me.  This isn't the Survivor of old where people were seriously so starving that the gross food challenge was looked forward to, and people literally ate rats.  These folks are relatively well fed compared to the earlier seasons. Hell there seems to be huge food rewards or feasts every other week, which in Survivor time is like every three days. 

I guess I liked Wendy because she was so different.  She wasn't the cookie-cutter "pretty girl" bartender/pharmaceutical sales/wanna-be-star that is usually cast on the show.  She tried hard in the challenges, and genuinely seemed to be a cheerful person.  I'd take her over Reem any old day of the week. 

The minute I saw her though, I knew she was doomed.  Even though Survivor isn't the great sociological experiment I'd hoped it would be, there's still a Lord of the Flies "eliminate the different, homogenize the tribe" mindset that immediately develops.  Look at all the early votes in each tribe from the first seasons on.  Usually those are the outliers: the oldest, the minority, the quirky.  It doesn't matter if that person brings value or not, they're different, therefore they must be gone.  It is very predictable, and something I find very interesting.

• Love 16
27 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think what she meant was that, normally, the male tribe members do a lot of the parts of challenges where brute strength is needed, but David is small and scrawny, so they don't get that from him. 

Of course, they did vote out the strongest, most athletic male in their tribe (Chris), along with 2 other men who are probably stronger than David (Rick and Keith).   

That said, some of David (and Wentworth's) biggest failures have been at puzzles, where the stereotype is that the scrawny intellectuals are supposed to excel.  She (or maybe someone else who didn't also fail at puzzles) could have said, "David might was well be a dumb jock."   

Yeah, David & Kelley have been really sticking up the joint in puzzles. That is the thing I'm most shocked about. I could understand that now since they are really beaten down, tired & hungry but they stunk right out of the gate.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I liked Wendy.  Yeah, she was hypocritical with the chicken thing, but I've got to tell you, I'd have a problem eating a meal that was just killed in front of me. 

It's not so much that she didn't want to eat the chickens, which is absolutely her prerogative.  It's that she actively tried to prevent everyone else from eating the chickens. 

Having said that, I like her too, on TV anyway, and would probably find her too exasperating in real life.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Thank you!  I sat here and said aloud, "Who's Julie?  Where did she come from?  Has she always been on this season?"

And who's this Gavin person who showed up out of nowhere?

He didn't even look familiar to me.

REEM. Reem. You fucked up. You absolutely did give that clue away. You literally stood there, pointed to it and said to Keith, 'What is That?' So HE picked it up. Stuff it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Oh my God, when Lauren hit the ground and shrieked: "Damn it, Wardog!!!" I almost cried from laughing so hard. 

And I had my eyes half-closed in terror during that challenge, hoping that Lauren wouldn't need a medical evac after WarDog failed to hold onto her.  I know it's a race but you can't just drop someone off your shoulders like that!

I wondered if WarDog's failure to be able to hold David up was due more to WarDog's exhaustion or David's noodle legs.

As for Reem, I recall her screaming at Keith during Episode One that she was NOT going to be the mother figure of the season!  NOT HER.  And yet, now she's admitting that she's the mother figure on EOE island but still complaining about it.  She's crazy/terrifying.  Have we seen her actually smiling or enjoying the Survivor experience for even one segment?  It's like she was cast against her will or something.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Gummo said:

Reem set the tone at sullen, angry and resentful  and it sure looks like no one else's arrival has been able to change that 

I was thinking just this. It's like having a family event where just one person is toxic and angry. They can ruin the whole thing singlehandedly. If someone else had been first, someone who welcomed all the newcomers with smiles and open arms, it would be a completely different place. 

I liked Aubry comparing EOE to a horrible waiting room. Imagine being stuck in a hospital waiting room, not for 12 hours, but for 12 days, with someone who won't stop ranting and yelling. I'm shocked no one has thrown in the towel. (I mean raised the mast). Fascinating social experiment which will unfortunately probably give the participants mild PTSD for years to come. 

• Love 9

At the Final Four challenge - 

Probst: Come on in guys! Ready to get to today's immunity challenge? This will determine who goes to the final Tribal Council for the chance to win One. Million. Dollars.

On my 'Go' you will quickly write down your response to one simple task. Last person to finish does not win immunity, is not safe at tonight's tribal council, and will be the 15th person voted out of Survivor: Edge of Extinction. OK? Here it is:

Spell 'Lauren'.

GO!

• LOL 17
  • Love 6

I was surprised at how badly Aubry misread the situation.  She had just talked the previous episode about how she and Joe are on the outs and it didn't even occur to her that she was in the slightest bit of danger?  This is her third time playing, you'd think she would have had an idea.

I was really bored by the second tribal.  For all the anticipation of rocks and something exciting happening, I really thought it was going to be more interesting than the expected Wendy boot.  Wendy was a pain, yes, but why vote her out?  Kelly Wentworth and David have been on the show before.  Couldn't they have counted the numbers?  There were 20 people to start and 13 people left.  Wouldn't it be natural for them to think a merge was going to happen in the next round or two?

I just don't get why Kelly and David wouldn't have taken the opportunity to get rid of Dan.  In fact, I actually thought that when David asked to talk with Wendy, he was telling her "three of us are voting out The Warthog, join with us and he will go home for sure".  I absolutely loved that David pointed out that Dan is terrible at everything but particularly that he "kinda sucks in physical challenges".

I guess it doesn't matter since they lost the challenge anyways, but wasn't the point of that bolo toss to hang onto one ball and toss the other into the hoop so you can pull the hoop down?  Dan let both balls go and then Jeff let him run over and grab one and pull it.  I would have made him redo it.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I have never been a fan of Joe.  Yes he is good in challenges but his social game has always been not so great.  Most people get confessionals that last for about 10 seconds or less but Joe's weepy confessional about how "this is so HARD I have nobody here with me and I miss my family and I really appreciate them blah blah blah" seemed to go on forever.   The show clearly loves him.  It's funny to me when he's in camp and on challenges he has his long hair all neatly tied and pinned up into a neat little man bun but when he gets confessionals it's like they purposely instruct him to let down his luscious flowing frizzy locks for the entire world to see.

I agree that none of the returning players are that great, I would have preferred to have seen others before any of these.  As long as none of them are named Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.  One of the most overrated players in Survivor history.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I wondered if WarDog's failure to be able to hold David up was due more to WarDog's exhaustion or David's noodle legs.

I'm going with homophobia myself.  Look at how Wardog was with David and how he was with Lauren.  He did not want to touch or hold onto David, even though David was probably lighter than Lauren and would have been easier to hold up.  I think Wardog was afraid of looking gay if he touched David or held him like he needed to in order to get the job done.

He didn't do such a good job holding Lauren up either, but he was a lot more hands on (and I don't mean in a creepy way) with her than he was with David.  You do what you have to do to get the job done, and Wardog just flat out didn't do it.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

In fact, I actually thought that when David asked to talk with Wendy, he was telling her "three of us are voting out The Warthog, join with us and he will go home for sure".

Who knows, he may have done just that. Wendy's non-responses to people directly addressing her means she could have still just gone her own way...

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

You do what you have to do to get the job done, and Wardog just flat out didn't do it.

I think that right there is why he couldn't hold either one of them up.

He seems to think of himself as STRONG Wardog, yet he couldn't hold two slight people on his shoulders even when there were two MORE people supporting them. And it was Lauren he literally dropped, and who cursed him out for it (I don't remember exactly what she said).

So I don't think he had any ulterior motive for dropping David. I just think he thinks he's better/stronger than he really is in challenges. Look at his poor throws. 

• Love 5

This is a stream of consciousness, so it won't all make sense, because the episode was a full 2 hours long:

Lauren's body.  Yowza.  Why is the rice making Lauren sick?  Anyone know?  I'm somebody who has food intolerances to many, many things, but not plain carbs, so sorry for the ignorance.  

Joe why don't you FIND AN IDOL instead of FINDING FISH. The provider thing hasn't worked for the win for 37 seasons!  Ok.  Except for Richard.  And ok.  Ozzy made it to second.  (Crying scene)  Joe looks like a beautiful pirate.

If I see Kelley do the eye rolling/vibrating thing one more time.  I don't even know what I'm going to do.  But, my god, it's painful to see this every episode.  She thinks she's the Queen of Survivor, and "David sucks"  (This was the beginning of the episode) Guess what Honey you suck just as much.  What makes David suck but not you, Babe?  (Ok now that she's found an idol I eat my words a little bit.)

Here is where I cried for 5 minutes straight because Lessu won their immunity challenge.

Edge of Extinction is hilarious and scary!  I was like, "Are they were gonna KILL Keith?!?!?!!"  It was like "The Blair Witch Project", and I mean, Reem is the witch. hahahahahahahaahahahah I'm so sorry

Aubrey walking around like Charlie Brown with the sad face because she had multiple advantages WAS HILARIOUS.

Aubrey saying "It is --- A DISASTER here" and that it was a "trainwreck" and that people were "legitimately losing it"  was HILARIOUS.  Aubrey and the editors have the best alliance in the game.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 4
  • Love 14

EoE Island truly is amazing -- I mean these people truly do nothing all day and have no reason to play a social game (they're not all geniuses but even though they don't know how this works, they know damn well these are not the people they're playing with moving forward if they get back in), they don't ever have to work as a team (no challenges), so they truly have nothing to do and nothing to lose. So they're suffering and miserable as it is and they just openly loathe each other at this point. It's gorgeous.

A few more days and I'm expecting Reem to start writing "all work and no play makes Reem a dull girl" over and over in the sand.

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, EllenB said:

I sure hope Ol' Warthog never had to lob a grenade.  I've never felt such second-hand embarrassment (laughing my ass off the whole time) while watching those feeble throws.

Watching those swimming challenges makes me terrified for what would happen to me if I played (sinking to the floor of the ocean basically) but when I saw the throwing challenge and how horrible Wardog was at it, I was like, oh my god!  I've played like 7 summers of softball.  Maybe I could do it!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, PaperTree said:

That was anti-climactic, but I am happy to see Wendy go.

She will drive the Extinctionees even more insane.  Reem is really losing it.  LOL

Every comment here about Reem makes me laugh forever

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Watching those swimming challenges makes me terrified for what would happen to me if I played (sinking to the floor of the ocean basically) but when I saw the throwing challenge and how horrible Wardog was at it, I was like, oh my god!  I've played like 7 summers of softball.  Maybe I could do it!

Everyone has their strengths and weakness. Unfortunately, Wardog looks like he can't swim (or dive) or throw too well. I don't know why I didn't notice it before.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

How hard is it to spell Lauren?

Even though Aubry was working my last nerve, of all the arrivals to EoE, hers was the one they should have shown so we could see what everyone thought when she showed up.

Half that damn tribe cannot spell.  It made me really lose respect for them.  Lorine and Luaren popped up.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

A former player, but not Ciera who voted out her mother. He’s dating Sierra Dawn Thomas—tall, athletic blonde. If I recall, Joe and Sierra were on the “collar” season together. 

Thanks for the information, but Ew 😢

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why is the rice making Lauren sick?  Anyone know?  I'm somebody who has food intolerances to many, many things, but not plain carbs, so sorry for the ignorance.

Sometimes when you're very hungry any food at all can make you queasy, so that might be it.

OTOH, plain white rice givs me terrible heartburn/acid reflux and I never have it with any other food or any other problems eating otherwise.  Even brown rice is OK.  No idea why.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

What about when Wardog threw the (ball?) at the (thing?) and Lauren whined, "No!  Wrong way!"

😄😄😄    

(Sorry guys, the forum used to merge all of my multiple quote replies into one beautiful post.  It doesn't do that anymore.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Oh, there's that killer social game that Reem is so proud of.

Big Wendy giving Jeff an Ed Grimley hug cracked me up. I was kind of surprised that everyone applauded and was smiling as she went out because it seemed like a show of genuine affection for her and not a "yay! she's gone!" kind of thing. She's a terrible player and no doubt sort of annoying, but it's hard to dislike a person who's consistently that sunny.

LOL Reem and Big Wendy are the polar opposites of this game.  Whoever said that Big Wendy will really drive Reem mad out there.... I am laughing and shaking so hard I can't even type

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Special K said:

Sometimes when you're very hungry any food at all can make you queasy, so that might be it.

OTOH, plain white rice givs me terrible heartburn/acid reflux and I never have it with any other food or any other problems eating otherwise.  Even brown rice is OK.  No idea why.

It is a little weird given that rice is supposed to be one of the foods that you eat when your stomach is upset (the "R" in the BRAT diet), but everyone's system is different. If she's not eating rice and they never win rewards, I'm not sure how long she can possibly last out there. 

Who knows, he may have done just that. Wendy's non-responses to people directly addressing her means she could have still just gone her own way...

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Wendy was also weirdly non-committal when approached about the women's alliance, which would have lifted her head off the chopping block. Even though there was an alternate plan to oust Aubry, she didn't know about it, so she should have expected to be the boot and that plan should have been a welcome option. 

Her priority seemed to be to come across weird and quirky, she appeared to revel in the idea that no one understood her style of play. Which, of course they wouldn't, it didn't make sense and wasn't smart, but that seemed to be her main focus. 

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Everyone has their strengths and weakness. Unfortunately, Wardog looks like he can't swim (or dive) or throw too well. I don't know why I didn't notice it before.

Or pick up anything heavy (snake in the water cage) or light (David).

He's going to claim post-show that he was really physically spent because they were on a new beach and had no shelter and no food and whatnot.  But it really doesn't explain why he was terrible even towards the beginning of the game.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Wendy was also weirdly non-committal when approached about the women's alliance, which would have lifted her head off the chopping block. Even though there was an alternate plan to oust Aubry, she didn't know about it, so she should have expected to be the boot and that plan should have been a welcome option. 

Her priority seemed to be to come across weird and quirky, she appeared to revel in the idea that no one understood her style of play. Which, of course they wouldn't, it didn't make sense and wasn't smart, but that seemed to be her main focus. 

Yeah, she seems to approach the whole thing like it's some kind of wacky vacation she gets to take.

• Love 8